[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Sci fi setting. >Party is a Merc company sent to prep
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: 1426995436122.jpg (400 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
1426995436122.jpg
400 KB, 1920x1040
>Sci fi setting.
>Party is a Merc company sent to prep a newly found Garden World for first wave colonists.
>Humanity only haves 6 Garden worlds as it takes 6+ years to travel between stars, so we are taking a huge risk and we are fucked if we mess up.
>Party finds a race of gorilla like intelligent natives. They have refused any contact and attacked crew members.
>The area selected by probes for initial set up is infested by the natives, but we were told the area should be uninhabited.
>This site has the underground resources needed for our drones to start building the base.
>And the agriculture habs needed to feed ourselves.
>We can;t build on any of the other continents because the locals would overwhelm us or the areas we could set up are lacking the minerals we need.
>We hold a vote to drop rocks from orbit to eradicate the apes or drive them of the archipelago. We only need the minerals and space to build. With the main population centers on the other continents and being stone aged they shouldn't be a problem.
>But one of the players decided to makeshift a bomb to our lifesupport then allow us to do what had to be done.

Wtf? Was HE That Guy or was the party out of line?

How does your group deal with though decisions?
>>
The answer to this conundrum is clear.

Jettison the explosive-laden life support onto the archipelago, simultaneously killing the natives and forcing the ship to land and make base.
>>
>>43554447
We are dead. He blew the ship up. Game is over.
>>
>>43554447
You forgot to jettison that guy with it
>>
>>43554458

There is nothing wrong with a little murder as long as everyone has fun doing it.

You did have fun, right? Because if not than the guy was in the wrong.
>>
>>43554479
He was the only one that voted against and provided no other plan. He just did it be
cause he was pissed he lost the vote.
>>
>>43554525

Which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do if you're opposed to the massacre and eventual genocide of a species.

The only way this is "bad" is if the decision came from meta-angst, or if the player didn't give everyone clues on what he's doing or made it possible for others to react.
>>
>>43554525
It depends on the character and his convictions. If he acted as the character would have then he was not really that guy, if you were acting as your characters would have then you were not that guy. It seems entirely reasonable to me that someone might kill the crew of a spaceship and themselves in order to prevent a genocide, particularly since it seems like that base that you were setting up would have been merely a food hold and eventually the entire race would have been driven to extinction most likely I can see where he was coming from. Likewise you were paid to do a job and felt you needed to do it so I can see where you were coming from.
>>
>>43554557
>>43554581

>ruining the game for everyone is not a bad thing if it isn't meta

Nigga.
>>
>>43554557
1. We tried to negotiate with the locals and they eat 3 of our NPC crewmates.

2. We had no plans to mess with the other regions and only decided to do this because we had no other options.

3. More Humans will come and take the planet anyway. They were doomed from the start if they fought us. Humans met lizard people on another world that just wanted to sell us trinkets.
>>
I want to know about the background.

How many humans are being sent to these worlds? I can understand a good number, but enough to displace an entire species from their planet?
>>
Sounds lame. He committed suicide. But I guess it all progressed naturally from the situation. I don't think I'd be angry with him, but I'd be disappointed at the anticlimax.

I think what makes me cringe is that he just blew up the ship instead of holding it hostage and forcing you to return to earth or something. Definitely sounds like there was a touch of butthurt.
>>
>>43554622
He's not wrong, still the guy sounds like he was supposed to be merc, unlikely to hold suicidal convictions about animal welfare. More likely he was just a sour cunt.
>>
>>43555257
Our ship had a crew of about 400 people. We could field 2000 drones and had the equipment to make more (needed the base for that though.) We had some basic void mining equipment but not much and no way to refine shit. (That was how we could tow the rocks.)

We had about 2.5 years before the first 5000 colonist showed up, then we would get the big ships with 30,000 colonists every 3 years assuming no delays. The ship with the 5000 also had a Iron womb system that would be able to take samples from the entire human population and basically grow new colonists. Not clones but vat grown humans. Every year it would produce 300 new colonist that would be at 16ish in age. They are some what lacking in social skills but are a great addition to the work force for new colonies til a large natural breeding population is achieved.
>>
If I was the dm I'd be pretty fucking mad about my whole campaign being derailed. Guess what bitch, its 5 years later you're playing.colonists arriving on an unprepared world now
Oh and the natives have salvaged modern tech from the spaceship wreckage.
>>
>>43555542
But they are stone aged. At best they would just be looting shit.
>>
>>43555556
Yea but giant gorillas with looted weapons, or fashioning scrap metal into armor? That has a tendency to get kind of intimidating.

Especially if the metal used is impervious to small arms fire.
>>
>>43555576
>>43555542
The colonists would be SO pissed!
>>
>>43554458
Cortés burnt his ships and still conquered an empire. You have a job to do, and it's to colonizate a planet.
>>
>>43554458

GM should switch to you playing space gorillas defending your homeland from hordes of pale hairless demons with salvaged supertech.
>>
>>43554402
Definitely being That Guy. Boot him from the game and rewind to just after vote.

Also thanks for the new desktop background OP
>>
>>43558859
Cortez didn't burn his ships while he was in them.
>>
>>43554458
>Guy kills party
Yeah he's that guy
>>
>>43555499
>unlikely to hold suicidal convictions about animal welfare
This is hilariously ironic in a thread where the OP posted a picture from a game where a merchant uses state of the art secret military supertech to save hedgehogs from a warzone
>>
>>43559087

It's not our fault he wasn't hardcore.
>>
>>43554402
Serious anwser : As long as it was all in character and not out of the players convictions, it's ok and nobody was that guy.

Personal awnser : Killing the party instead of sexing up some sexy gorilla waifu and leading rebellion against your own people. For fuck sake it's like nobody ever watched ferngully/ pocahontas/ dance with wolves/ furry smurf IN SPACE!
>>
>>43554402
He was That Guy.

Kick him and redo.
>>
>>43554402
That Guy.

Mercenaries tend not to have sudden pangs of conscience that come out as explosive suicide, and good players don't deliberately do a TPK unless they have very good reasons to do so.

I agree with >>43559169. Kick him and undo.
>>
>>43554525
The second he voted against everyone else, you should have held him in the brig until the operation was over. A space ship is a fragile thing.
>>
>>43559282
Know a lot of mercenaries, do you?
>>
File: the dude.webm (837 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
the dude.webm
837 KB, 1280x688
>>43554402
>>
>>43555542
You're phrasing that as though it's some sort of punishment.
>>
>>43554641
>everyone else is genociding too so it's a-ok when I do it
When his character would rather die and take you with him than having the blood of an entire species on his hands then this is good roleplaying and reasonable
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.