[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well hey there /tg/ You should all be getting back from your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8
File: 1443557602284.jpg (182 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1443557602284.jpg
182 KB, 1024x1024
Well hey there /tg/
You should all be getting back from your weekly games today, huh? A lot of you, at least?
Didn't have one today? Maybe yesterday?
How did your weekly game go, huh?

You HAVE a weekly game, don't you?
>>
>>43554260
Don't mock my pain, OP
>>
No, I didn't have a weekly game. It was daily.
>>
>>43554762
Damn, son. I'm lucky if I can play every month
>>
I used to have a weekly game. Then the GM moved for work and one of the players decided that "her" new gender identity meant that "she" should distance "herself" from "her" old friends. Despite all of us being 100% cool with the whole thing. (but me I admit. When you've known someone by the same name for 12 years it's hard to call them something new.)
So with only the 4 of us, and one not always being in the best health at that, things kinda dwindled. We still hung out until about 4 months ago when I moved too.
>>
File: 1441669758117.gif (1 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1441669758117.gif
1 MB, 200x150
>>43554260
I just finished the first session of a new weekly game. It was one of the best games I've played in a while and it really reminded me why I got into this hobby in the first place but it was a lot different than my usual games. I have more experience with really story heavy fluffy games which was what I had an easy time finding for a while that I'd never really gotten into the combat gamey side of tabletop that seems to get a bad rap a lot here. This was a really neatly put together setting and tone and but the speed of the combat and the good flow of it despite it being the DMs first times on roll20 I think. I tend to not play really caster/intelligence type characters in any type of game ever but this time I decided to mix it up and play a Magus, game is pathfinder by the way. It was really fun and even though I got bodied by the dice toward the end it was one of the first games where I didn't feel like a scrub at the system. In the end though we got a level up because it was like a ten hour session so now my Magus will be really more competent so I'm really looking forward to it. It's a big group too but everyone is really good about sharing the space I think. Ending the week with high hopes I guess.
>>
>>43555176

>Trans people
lol
Sorry man.
>>
>>43555365

You found a good group on roll20?
Tell us more about this impossibility, Anon
>>
>>43555367
The part that bugged me the most was that EVERYTHING changed. Suddenly EVERY aspect of her life REVOLVED around that now she was a woman. "I was thinking about remaking my very first character from over a decade ago. But as they always should have been, female!" and other bullshit like that.
>>
It went alright--we finished a section of the adventure path. Lost the questgiver NPC in one of those "hostage lite" situations you get all the time in D&D, though. She took a critical hit from a bullywug in the first round of combat, and dropped straight from max HP to dead. No idea what we'll do next time about that.
>>
>>43555401

Going to be straight with you, anon.
Trans people are fucking insane. They make other people insane.
I've heard this from the mouth of formerly trans people.
And them cutting their dicks off just makes it worse.

Sorry for your loss, though. There must have been a darkness in this person tabletop gaming couldn't help.
That or some batshit fruit manipulated him.
>>
We ended our Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil campaign just this Wednesday. GM promised a more social campaign than our usual at the beginning, so I made a character with family/friendship/rivalry ties in the main town.

The GM never brought any of them up (outside of "your character's sister says hi" when I go to visit), and they all died when shadows rampaged through the town while we were gone, with an explicit "their souls are burned away so you can't revive them either" catch. Then we spent the rest of the campaign dungeon-diving. The last boss was basically a giant mushroom out of the blue that went down in four rounds.

I even drew my character's picture and everything. God dammit, I'm salty.
>>
Every time I hear someone talk about their monthly game I just want to punch them in the dick.

How much of a miserable fuck do you have to be to only be able to make one night a month free?
>>
>>43555513
If your group was shit enough to run ToEE, I doubt your DM is capable of roleplaying an NPC.

You should have known better.
>>
I haven't played in months actually, kinda shitty.
>>
File: 1441673209302.gif (3 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1441673209302.gif
3 MB, 200x150
>>43555384
No I found them here on /tg/ we just use roll20 for combat. It's a fun group, we have a gunslinger, a sorcerer, a cleric, a kineticist, and me the magus. So most of our fights involve a lot of fire and magic. We fought a necromancer and I got my shit kicked in by skeleton champions.
>>
Me and the fellow 4 level 5 members of my party managed to kill 3 adult dragons. We would have killed more but the rest ran away.
>>
>>43555555
Solid point, in retrospect. Though in my defense, I had no idea what I was getting into when we started.

GM was excited to run it, said it was more focused on building up the town than actually raiding the temple. Given the title of the fucking campaign, I probably should have seen this coming from a mile away.
>>
>>43555602
How'd you do it?
>>
>>43555513
Keep the character as a salty seasoned adventurer who's looking to reconnect with their extended family for use under a different DM.

Keep telling other party members that trudging through the underdark and ancient tombs is a load of exhausting and dangerous shit, and it's way better to have friends and family.
If other players are at the new table, make references to the old adventures in your grumblings.
"Plant monsters are the worst. The worst. No figgin' head to stab, don't burn right and don't even bleed. Mushrooms are the worst of the worst though, remind me to tell you the story of the time I killed a twenty foot mushroom after this. Actually, now I think about it it tastes amazing fried eith butter and garlic... What are we here for again? Sceptre of the thing? Break, grab or ritual? Eh, I'll figure it out."
>>
>>43554260
Last one was Tuesday, going back Tuesday.
A dwarf noble will surely meet the pointy end of a big rock.
>>
File: 1379954395822.jpg (130 KB, 1024x723) Image search: [Google]
1379954395822.jpg
130 KB, 1024x723
>>43554260
>Didn't have one today? Maybe yesterday?
yesterday
>How did your weekly game go, huh?
Traveller. I'm the referee. PCs fought a death bot and managed to not die. My bounty hunter was able to get a cheeky energy blast against the PC leader before flying off. PCs waited 14 weeks while their structural damage was fixed on one of their starships. They all trained their various skills. now have 3 PCs in battle dress, so I can throw pretty much anything at them and not worry about balance. Throw a couple of HINDs and a platoon of modern infantry at them and they'd probably still come out on top. and thats without their starships. They could probably sink an entire WW2 fleet in 5 minutes flat with those puppies.

Once PC did some nice flying for a few million creds, while another realized that risky work like piracy probably wouldn't be worth it, and decided to take boring, averagely paid work.

Next session they will no doubt attempt to subtly recon their target on a zero-law water world on the fringe of this sector. They're outnumbered in ship tonnage by about 3 to 1 so a head on fight isn't really an option.
>>
>>43555629
I like it. I'm keeping that one in the big ol' stockpile of character ideas, at least to quell the salt.
Fits especially well, since the character started as a semi-pacifist and ended up a little jaded.
>>
>>43555590

Story time?
>>
>>43554260
Weekly d&d 5 game on Tuesdays.
DM as Shadowrun every 15 days on the weekend (soon gonna start weekly sessions)
Another d&d game every two weeks
Boardgames/wargames/paint session daily or quite.
>>
I play every two weeks on Friday night. I'm making the pizza myself so any more frequent then that I'll bankrupt myself on ingredients.
>>
>>43554260
Not at the moment, I'm home for summer holidays.
At uni though I have a game every Tuesday and the odd one when I can on Fridays, Sundays are pretty regular too. All the blokes have huge collections of minis so I only paint for leisure, there's no pressure to get an army together and I can play pretty much any era i want.
>>
>>43555749
Okay, we all started in a tavern where we'd just walked in from the cold and a drunk merchant offered to pay us to lift some valuables from a dangerous ruins he'd found the key to, he recommended some more people to get mercenary work from.

Apparently there's a plague hitting town so the guard captain is taking on freelancers to keep the town protected. Long story short we get paid to chase some thugs out of town. It's the first round of combat against some thugs the gunslinger is doing cool dives and gun-fu, the kineticist is a big buff bald dude who looks like Sagat I think and he just incinerates some dudes with fire. The gnome cleric blesses all of us and after some bandits slipping around on the grease the sorceress dropped on her turn.

Finally I step up to stab a guy with my lightning sword and I miss, next time I get my chance I try again and crit, We fight off the thugs but the ringleader flees into a house we go inside to look for him and a find a blind girl who is waiting for her parents who contracted the plague and left for the doctors. Magus remembers what it was like when his dad died and he was stranded in another country for a part of his childhood so he wants make sure the kid is taken care of, he pays a guard to bring a hot meal over later and to fix her back door which the thug broke down when he charged through. After that we went and visited the town doctor, I had succeeded some knowledge checks earlier to suspect that the plague was magical in origin. The doctor agrees and says we should figure out who created the plague so we can figure out how to stop it. Only place nearby they haven't ran out yet looking for a necromancer is the old ruins the merchant hired us to go to. Then we did a bit of walking, fought some shaggy snow wasps, I got poisoned, and we reached the ruins. We camped for the night outside and during my characters turn on watch everyone else got afflicted by nightmares. Then we went into the dungeon proper.
>>
>>43555983
Then we fought like ton of zombies, used one of the traps in a room to kill a bunch of them, found a hatchling black dragon skulking around one room and ignored it, then we finally got to the necromancer and some weird woman was talking to him. She gloated over him a bit then watched us fight him, she left us alone though, after the necromancer got away she helped us finish off the skeletons which were kicking the shit out of me. Then she commented on like the potential of our sorceress and then like flew away or some shit. I get the impression she might be a part of some kind of over arching plot or one of the BBEGs cronies. I didn't care I was still salty about missing all my attacks and letting the necromancer get away then getting bodied by skeletons. My character was kind of dejected too, he wanted to scour the ruins for the records there, the fort was a kind of info bank and record office before the war a thousand years ago which nearly drove elves to extinction, my magus is an elf historian and he wanted to see if there was any clues to what the elves were like before the war and where some of their sages and saints might have disappeared to. I just kind of took a moment and was thinking that it would all come through. You don't always win, but the next day will start and you'll do everything you did today faster and better. Then the game ended and we got a level up.
>>
After three and a half years of gaming going from level 1 as slaves my PCs finally managed to kill an actual deity. It was a fun fight to DM and took two full sessions, one of which was just me taking them alone into a room and having a vision quest with each. The fight had two stages.
>>
>>43554260
Shut up op, it hurts enough already without you twisting the knife
>>
My slightly-less-than-2-year-long Pathfinder group plays on Fridays, though our current campaign just played session 17, and I think it was a pretty big one that revived everyone in a big way.

>Session opens with a Half-Orc mercenary the party previously defeated kicking in the door to a tavern they were resting in to call them out.
>He wants the Barbarian, since the PC is the victim of mistaken identity and the Orc, his employer, and some other people all think the Barb is someone else who stole a magic artifact.
>There's a fight in the street, mostly Barbarian vs. Orc, which after the Orc gets disarmed, the Barbarian throws his weapon to the floor and they both basically just punch on eachother.
>Orc smashes Barbarian in the face, dropping him to 1HP, before being cleaved by the Fighter in the back.
>A note on his body tells the party where he was supposed to bring the Barbarian so he could get paid.
>They know the note will probably lead them to a female devotee of Gozreh who they know is involved in sinking some boats in the harbor.
>The party's Cleric of Gozreh goes with the Fighter to the location to try and talk to her, since the last time they met face to face when he chased her down, she could have killed him but didn't.
>He finds an abandoned building inhabited by a young, scared woman who is afraid of them.
>She's not actually evil at all, she's just a little fanatical about her religion.
>The Cleric is entranced by her, he's totally onboard with her idea to help construct a proper church for them to spread their faith.
>Party has a new ally! Though they're still suspicious of her.
>Since she was the one the guards at the dock were looking for, and the party's task was to clear the guards off the dock, they need to figure out how to do that without turning her in to the guard to be arrested.

CONT.
>>
>>43556151
>The party has an idea, there's still the thief that was working with the one the Barbarian got mistaken for, the one who was originally paid (by the female Cleric) to steal the artifact (a Horn of Tsunamis) for her.
>The Barbarian met this man while the rest of the party was chasing the woman.
>They send the guards his way, telling them that he was the one with the Horn (they don't know if he has it or not), and caused the ship sinkings to rob them.
>This clears most of the guard off the dock, allowing the secret drug shipment to land there undetected as instructed by the drug lord the party is working for.
>Most everything going well. Only thing left is to go to the drug lord and tell him the job is done.
>They find a note written in cryptic, occult symbols on the tavern door they're in. (This is the third one they've found in a few days now).
>They tried deciphering them earlier, only learned that they were ancient magic/occult symbols that meant "Danger, doom, tragedy, etc."
>On their way to the Drug Lord, a person approaches the party and in very awkward manner, demands to know why they didn't listen to the messages, and that they were going to their deaths.
>This NPC was not an NPC at all, but the player character controlled by the new party member, who is a long-time member of our group and friend of ours who has been absent for the last 20~ weeks due to personal issues. The players had no idea it was him in the Skype call, so it was a huge surprise to everyone when he started talking.
>Session ended with the party re-assessing the choice to go visit the Drug Lord, who is holding a friend of theirs and torturing him for information, hung-over and ill-prepared from the night before. Plans made to possibly storm his compound with their new allies next week.

And that was my Friday night.
>>
>>43554260
Our group is actually waiting for a new weekly game to start.
>>
It was the conclusion of the Halloween game. We found a deep complex pirate chamber on an island that flooded at high tide. We had to avoid some traps and the gem characters fought some animated pirate skeletons. At the very bottom we found a small cavern with an old ship inside, and on the ship we found treasure as well as on the captain's skeleton a hairpin comb with a gem attached. Someone set off a trap though which caused a cave in of the cistern opening it up to the ocean above. We wouldn't all of us been able to make it back up through the chamber in time, but figured out we could use the ship to ride it to the surface. Unfortunately to do so, we had to work to dump all the treasure overboard. Fortunately the ship held together and we made it to the surface, and were able to reach the shore before it sunk from the age and all the stress of the action. The other human managed to keep a pocket full of treasure, but the real important thing is the comb which I think is a gem artifact and was used to construct the chamber by the pirates in the first place. At any rate the gem characters were leery of it.
>>
>>43554260
I used to have a weekly game and then one piece of shit stole a bunch of interested new players and started his own group and the rest of us have too fucked up schedules to reliably schedule a game.
>>
>>43554260
Pretty well actually, will tell you how it went afterwards.
>>
>>43554260
We drove a stolen rig out of a zombie infested clusterfuck town while fighting a flying vampire and a legion of zombies.

It went okay.
>>
Nigga I have 2 weekly games.

Monday night is Iron Kingdoms. I'm a highwayman caught up with a mercenary band during the Khadoran invasion of the Thornwood. Wednesday is 5e. I'm a super secret sorcerer.

Life is good.
>>
File: 1432134300213.gif (580 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1432134300213.gif
580 KB, 480x360
I WOULD have two weekly games, but one has super short session and the players for the other are flakes that can't even tell me they can't make it.
>>
>>43554260
I have a 3-yearly game. We made our characters and the DM planned what would happen our first session or so.

Took 3 years until our first session.

That was about 2 years ago. Next session soonTM
>>
>>43556960
Nice. Too bad it's 2e, huh.
>>
>>43556983
Nah it's Dark Heresy. There's been a couple updates to it since then, seems like there's more classes now.
I was a cleric, we had a techpriest and something else, I think scum or guardsman? He had to leave in the last 10min of the session.

There was also an arbitrator or assassin or something but she wasn't able to play the first session. I still have all their char sheets somewhere and I think I saved a log of our first session on pastebin, wonder if I can find it.
>>
File: thinkin of u hurtin.jpg (22 KB, 251x254) Image search: [Google]
thinkin of u hurtin.jpg
22 KB, 251x254
>>43557081
>my character sheet
>date modified: March last year
A single tear is shed.

>my character sheet from my first DnD game which only lasted 2 sessions before falling apart
>last modified: August 2010
>>
>>43557081
Shit I thought this was a different thread.
>>
>>43555609
Probably using weakened stats, judging by lack of response. Or just bullshitting in general.
>>
>>43554260
>You HAVE a weekly game, don't you?
Monthly. FML. RPGs, martial arts and climbing are my three main forms of entertainment and I might soon be incapable of affording the latter.
>>
>>43555176
>"her" new gender identity meant that "she" should distance "herself" from "her" old friends
That whole sentence suggests that you are not 100% cool with it, and she may be right.
>>
>>43557102
>find the log
>last line
>"easy to pick up again if we log it"
>>
>>43557279
He clearly stated that he is not 100% cool with it you mongoloid. What is reading comprehension indeed
>>
>>43557322
>He clearly stated that he is not 100% cool with it you mongoloid.

>distance "herself" from "her" old friends. Despite all of us being 100% cool with the whole thing.
>all of us being 100% cool with the whole thing.

Learn to fucking Read.
>>
>>43557340
>Despite all of us being 100% cool with the whole thing. (but me I admit.
Is your IQ less than 70? Are you not able to comprehend that sentence?
>>
>>43557340
>(but me I admit. When you've known someone by the same name for 12 years it's hard to call them something new.)
All you had to do was keep reading for another 2 characters to reach this.
>>
File: 1381975545199.jpg (22 KB, 251x231) Image search: [Google]
1381975545199.jpg
22 KB, 251x231
I wasn't ready when I first played with a proper group, so my roleplaying was incredibly poor. And due to my depression I started flaking without saying anything, which was a giant dickmove to my group (even though the DM told me not to worry about it), and I'm afraid the same might happen if I try to find another group. I've done a bucketload of ERP so I at least know I can actually roleplay properly, but I'm still too nervous about my flakiness to dare try again
>>
>>43557353
>>43557358
I am of course translating his poor sentance structure.

You can either parse it as "she over reacted because we were all totally okay with it. Except I wasnt okay with it" (makes him seem like an even bigger idiot because he directly contradicts himself)

Or ""she over reacted because we were all totally okay with it. Though I admit I had issues calling her by a new name after so long" (just makes him seem bitter and transphobic)

So I was giving his poorly worded post the benefit of the doubt.
>>
File: 1443822420207.jpg (68 KB, 606x496) Image search: [Google]
1443822420207.jpg
68 KB, 606x496
>>43557401
you're not making this one easier for you m80
>>
>>43557401
I believe the "But me I admit" part was one sentence, referring to his own not being cool with it, and the "When you've known... something new" part is referring to a single issue as an example. It's hard to differentiate sometimes, so I did it for you.
>>
We usually play weekly, but our DM is currently making his new system ready to be shipped out by Christmas, so he's a bit rushed at the moment.

We get around this by boardgames though, so it's fine.
>>
>>43555401
Give it time man.
Stifling identity in a closet builds up a lot of frustration, which results in overcompsation and bullshit once the closet breaks.
In a couple years they may get the extreme out of the system and mellow down.
>>
>>43556599
Alright, here's how it went down.

It went really well and yes, I have a weekly game and another bi-weekly game. It's very nice, to say the least.
>>
>>43554260
Played on Friday.
It's a SR5 game and one of our Johnsons ex-wives hacked his commlink and got in contact with us so that we could ambush him and his daughter in the park to convince the courts that the ex-wife should get majority custody.
It didn't go too well because a third party also ambushed the ex-Johnson, with the intention of killing instead of simply scaring. I got to punch him in the face and knock him out in one hit though, so that was cool.
>>
>>43554260

I've got two by-monthly games, we set to alternate them so the other GM can have time to be a slob.

I also sit in, without playing, with this other group I found who run games on Thursdays in a pub where I'm a regular.
Mostly I offer advice to the players, or the GM when asked for it. I'm gonna help him GM his finale this week.
>>
>>43555785
But pizza from scratch is cheaper than delivery or non-cardboard frozen...

Also make the group pitch in, goddamn.
>>
>>43554260
Slow the fuck down there champ, mine's still in the planning stages.
>>
>>43554260
No I don't
It's for the best, I'm burned out of my group
>>
>>43554260
Tuesday nights OP. Uni schedules at U of T are a bitch. Gotta wait till tomorrow.
>>
>>43554260
Monday and Thursdays, though Mondays are one shots at the moment.

Thursday went well; we grabbed the wrong plot hook, ended up fighting and defeating someone above our current level, and got a ton of prestige for it (as well as crossing off something on our "to do" list)
>>
>>43555539
> How much of a miserable fuck do you have to be to only be able to make one night a month free?

Pretty fucking miserable.

Had a group, back in High School High. Played every weekend, sometimes midweek too. Then I joined the Navy and lost contact, because apparently if someone's not in your visual radius at least once a week, they cease to fucking exist, regardless of letters and emails, to the point that when they finally make it home after two fucking years for a few fucking days of time off, you can't even be bothered to look up from Guitar Hero and WoW to even look them in the eye while you fucking say hello, right, Adam?

But I digress.

I'll spare you the literal decade of false-starts and failed attempts at forming groups with interested and like-minded peeps on a military vessel when schedules don't match up and people get transferred in and out faster than IG go through recruits, and skip to today. Where if I had the time, I have literally seven people in various stages of interest from 'passing' to 'why the fuck are we not already playing this', all wanting to be part of a group.

With me as GM, naturally, because who the fuck else would want to be GM.

The problem? Miserable fuck is miserable fuck, and all eight of us have odd schedule conflicts that make arranging a game day painful at best and impossible on average. Add to it that, between working nights, having a partner who works days, various pets to manage, chores to handle, and oh yes, all the other thousand responsibilities that come with being a fucking adult like making sure we have food, I'm lucky to get maybe three to five hours of sleep each day.

I don't have time for video games. I don't have time for TV. I don't have time for reading or writing. I browse /tg/ on my phone at work on breaks, when I have time to take them. In short, yes, I am a miserable fuck, who doesn't even get to game once a month.

Glad to hear your gaming group is going well, though. Have fun next week!
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.