[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Obscure Mythological creatures
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 38
File: image.jpg (357 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
357 KB, 800x1067
Hi /tg/, post creatures that you feel don't get enough love in this thread. Here's mine:
Kinnaree
>Thai birdtaurs
>known to be excellent dancers and mischievous tricksters
>bird half allows them to fly to the mystical world
I feel like they could be a nice alternative to fey elves, or a centaur race that doesn't get fucked over by stairs.
and I'm sure some monster girl degenerate wants some of that chicken cloaca
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 570x258) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 570x258
Selkie
>Gaelic seal-mermen/maids skin walkers
>very good-looking in human form
>often seduce married people unsatisfied on their current relationships.
>if you steal the skin of one they'll be forced to marry you, but if they get their skin back they'll run back to the ocean
A good way to work around people that want to play mermaids but still need to adventure on land, could have interesting relationship dynamics to roleplay.
>>
>>43554355
These are probably my favorite mythic creature

Ziz
> equivilant to the Behemoth of the land, and the Laviathan of the sea.
>>
>>43554979
>Ziz
With its size he is probably lives in space most of the time.
>>
File: 19789999.jpg (105 KB, 400x345) Image search: [Google]
19789999.jpg
105 KB, 400x345
>Obscure
>>
File: Zmeu.png (92 KB, 250x208) Image search: [Google]
Zmeu.png
92 KB, 250x208
The Zmeu
A Romanian ogre-equivalent that makes artifacts, desires to marry young women, and in some stories, flies and spits fire at things.
>>
>>43554096
>egg laying
Oh yeah
>>
>>43557935
A flying fire breathing ogre, fuck, its like an humanoid dragon.
>>
>>43557935
So, the average /r9k/ poster?
>>
>>43558029
Without the cheeto smell and actualy cool.
>>
File: Grootslang.jpg (764 KB, 2333x1711) Image search: [Google]
Grootslang.jpg
764 KB, 2333x1711
The Grootslang
When the African gods created the world, they were inexperienced and made the Grootslangs. They turned out to be too dangerous, so the gods split them into two animals: the elephant gains its strength and hardiness, and the snake gains its cunning.

>>43557994
The Romanians don't fuck around.
>>
>>43556789
These are obscure to me. Maybe I'm not well-read on my fantastical beasts.
>>
>>43558042
that name is too silly, it's just literally "Largesnake".
>>
>>43558042

Shit, where was this art when I threw a Grootslang at my party in Mutants ant Masterminds?
>>
File: Kinnaree.jpg (207 KB, 600x875) Image search: [Google]
Kinnaree.jpg
207 KB, 600x875
>>43554096

Kinnaree are nice. We don't see them often.

you should read about other creatures of the Himmapan.
>>
>>43554096
do ghosts count? Southeast asians had a knack of making some weird shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB2pP3PKqjU
>>
>>43554355
Selkies are in magic the gathering, PRETTY SURE THAT MAKES THEM NOT OBSCURE
>>
>>43560318
They are, that set was based on Celtic folklore which not too many people know about, and was criticized by people for this, just like the kamigawa mythos.

We had Song of the Sea recently but that was produced by a small Irish studio, and even then few people in the U.S. saw the movie.
>>
>>43560296

>Is that a jackfruit ghost?
>No son, that's a transvestite.

kek
>>
>>43554096
Kelpies are neat

Shapeshifters who take the form of beautiful horses near a loch, try to get people to ride them so they can turn their skin adhesive and drown the rider in the water.
>>
Als are pretty cool. Persian demons of miscarriage and disease. Flaming eyes, wild hair, iron teeth and nails, and they carry a pair of rusty scissors.
>>
>>43560495
Nice. On the subject of Persia, this little fella is a Bakhtak. A sleep paralysis demon
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 443x332
>>43560846
Forgot pic, my bad
>>
File: toyol.jpg (12 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
toyol.jpg
12 KB, 400x300
while quite similar to goblins in appearence, the Toyol/Tuyul were actually dead stillborns brought back to life by black magic to serve as undead vampiric thieves. they do however set a heavy price on their owners such as they must go on and suckle on their toes for blood and it just gets heavier at that point.
>>
The Sluagh are Irish undead, clouds of sinners' souls flying like flocks of birds, they fly into windows and steal the souls of the dying.
>>
>>43554096
Draugr.

Shapeshifting Norse zombies with super strength, the ability to turn into giants, who get around by turning into smoke or swimming through solid rock.
>>
>>43558070
Or where to find them?
>>
>>43561830
Well that's..horrifying.
Good minions for a super crazy necromancer though.
>>
>>43566035
and then skyrim came along and turned them into basic level zombies
>>
>>43554355
>>43560456

going with the general celtic theme here
Puccas or tommy knockers.
they are spirits that live deep in the coal mines, often times the souls of dead miners. the knock on the walls to warn the living of immediate danger such as a collapse or natural gasses. they are also known for stealing shit like lanterns and axes.
>>
File: tsurubebi-watermark[1].jpg (118 KB, 600x784) Image search: [Google]
tsurubebi-watermark[1].jpg
118 KB, 600x784
>>43554096
90% of all Japanese monsters who aren't easily made into waifus get overlooked. Of course, most of them are just weird as fuck things or randomly malevolent horror monsters.

There's even some plain boring ones, like Tsurubebi.

They're fireballs that wander around forests without setting anything on fire. Bouncing through the trees, falling out of them and splatting against the floor before getting up and floating back into the trees, and generally being weirdly adorable.
>>
File: tikbalang.jpg (180 KB, 692x594) Image search: [Google]
tikbalang.jpg
180 KB, 692x594
>An untrusting skittishness is prevalent among the communites surrounding the mountainous regions of the King Filipinas archipelago. The skewed, furtive glances exchanged when family members ask to be accompanied somewhere are a habit formed from fear of the Tikbalang. Often eerily mimicking the appearance of victims' relatives, this forest spirit will lead lone people out to the heavily wooded depths of the mountain ranges, occasionally breaking the increasingly uncomfortable silence with short bursts of reassurement, and stilted gratitude for the assistance. The suddenly pungent aroma of tobacco and drunken swaying motion adopted by the false family member is noticed before their face blurs into something that resembles more that of a horse's than a human's. Delirious town folk who have stumbled their way into town after long absences tell of how this apparation pushed and slapped them, often knocking them over and not allowing them to right themselves; all the while shaking with nervous, childish giggling. People say that the cessation of resistance or protest will suddenly lead a victim to find themselves alone in the woods, plunged into darkness; the sun long set. The path home, recalled by the few who return after a disappearance, is hampered by a severe sense of disorientation and a forest that seems to curl in on itself repeatedly.

Something about horse heads on human bodies is just really fucked up.
>>
>>43567368
Folklore based on sleepwalking?
Or..having mean drunk relatives.
>>
Can anyone help me find the name of a creature? A dragon with a lions face, probably Chinese but for the life of me I can't find the name of it.
>>
>>43554096
There's the Wampus Cat.

The backstory is that a woman wanted to spy on the hot young men of her tribe while they were doing manly things like sharing hunting stories, dancing half-naked around the campfire, and generally being adorable as fuck native american shotas.

She decided that the most subtle way to do this would be to kill a cougar, strip naked, and wear its skin while crouched low to the ground on the outskirts of their gathering.

Nothing can possibly go wrong with this plan.

Rather than turning into a hentai plot where she gets gangbanged by young men with rock hard cocks, the tribal medicine man finds her, gets pissy, and turns her into an evil demon catgirl, which again sounds like an introduction to a hentai story.

Unfortunately, it's not, and she ends up becoming a demon cat spirit of death, and anyone who sees or hears her is fated to die within three days
>>
File: Lion-faced_deity.jpg (22 KB, 205x252) Image search: [Google]
Lion-faced_deity.jpg
22 KB, 205x252
>>43567607
Sounds kinda like the Demiurge. A central figure in Gnosticism.
>>
>>43567607
Sounds like a qirin/kirin/qilin, which as I remember has the head of a lion, the antlers and body of a dragon, and legs of a horse. Or something like that.
>>
>>43567050
>púca

Nah breh, púca is a shapeshifting solitary fairy that takes the form of a black dog, horse, bird, bat or cloud of smoke.
>>
File: 942.jpg (30 KB, 515x650) Image search: [Google]
942.jpg
30 KB, 515x650
>>43567368
What the fuck

Goddamn that's creepy, I like it.
>>
>>43568286
He said Pucca, 2 Cs
>>
>>43568432
In all fairness, there's about a dozen different ways to spell and pronounce púca, like pooka and phuca and phooka.
>>
>>43568713
It's like Gaelic words were made to fuck with normal people.
>>
File: kumiho.jpg (228 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
kumiho.jpg
228 KB, 500x700
The Kumiho. Korean version of the japanese kitsune.

The japanese kitsune is usually a clever and faithful lover/waifu, whereas the korean version is more like a cannibal crossed with a succubus that happens to have fox ears. They shapeshift into an attractive female form (always with some sign that they are a kumiho though, like ears or a tail) and seduce men, and then either before, during, or after the act the kumho tears out their liver (sometimes heart) and devours it, which is notable due to some eastern mythology believing the liver contains the soul.

In some myths they go around digging up graves to eat organs as well. In older ones they could be benevolent and kind, but by their very nature they would be excellent actors so good luck with that. It is supposedly possible for them to become human but they must either devour a shitload of livers/hearts/whatever or devour none for a very long period of time.

I kind of view them as the perfect hunter. Basically a succubus minus the demonic part that leads you to (usually) assume they cannot be redeemed, and with a benevolent version of them existing that makes you never sure if the one in front of you is either the perfect waifu or an extremely proficient cannibalistic serial killer.

The only serious weakness I know of theirs is that dogs are extremely aggressive towards them, but of course as with all mythological creatures they vary depending on the source.
>>
>>43569258
BRING OUT THE WOLVES
>>
>>43567368
reminds me of the Kapre

supposed to look like a really tall wild man smoking a cigar or pipe sitting on trees sharing the disorientation schtick of the tikbalang

there was a hypothesis that it was likely a result of american psyops playing with the tikbalang myth during the filipino-american war
>>
>>43569099
You're telling me, they tried to make us learn it growing up in Ireland. For instance, the phrase 'Bhí mé' is prononced 'Vee may'. BH is vee, MH can be a G or a H sound, as can DH. Fuck you if you even try learning it, it's ridiculous.

Welsh is far, far worse, though, it's descended from the fucking Elder Gods.
>>
>>43560318
>Hi /tg/, post creatures that you feel don't get enough love in this thread

Did you just imagine that OP used the word "obscure", or were you just really looking to start an argument?
>>
>>43569348
That anon is a faggot, but yes OP did use the word obscure in subject.
>>
>>43569331
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bbAAegC40U
>>
>>43569258
I can see some fun GM dickery to the group's furfag here.
DM: Your Kitsune waifu lays next to you in serene post-coital afterglow.
>"You're so kawaii Bae"
>"Kawaii?"
>"It's Japanese for cute, you should know that"
>"Actually I'm Korean.."
DM: roll initiative
>>
>>43569370
>but yes OP did use the word obscure in subject
Aw shit, I totally missed that. Never mind.
>>
>>43569403
a better, less distracting video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO0UdpoxM
>>
>>43569411
That's pretty much the Kumiho on SCP.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-953

She's pretty great.
>>
>>43569258
I think it was used it Supernatural once.
>>
>>43569486
Yeah, that is the only time I have personally seen them in any form of media.

Which makes me sad.

I think it is because foxslut waifus are much more popular.
>>
>>43569542
Well she was kinda a fox slut. "Oh no I'm hitting puberty and my body is changing....why do I have the sudden craving for man liver mother?"
>>
>>43569716
Man, who doesn't crave man liver though?
>>
File: Simurgh.jpg (252 KB, 1012x1024) Image search: [Google]
Simurgh.jpg
252 KB, 1012x1024
>>43569411
>mistaking native Korean for Japanese

Yeah, that would piss them off fairly justifiably. Anywho...

>Simurgh
>Immortal omniscient god-bird
>Like a Pheonix, but in some cultures depicted as having the head of a dog
>Also, Worm fans have a minor aneurism when you say its name
>>
>>43554096
I remember that chapter of Petshop of Horrors
>>
File: Ahri_Splash_0.jpg (206 KB, 1215x717) Image search: [Google]
Ahri_Splash_0.jpg
206 KB, 1215x717
>>43569542
There's a kumiho character in fucking League of Legends.
>>
>>43569779
Yeah, how could someone look at a dirty korean and actually think they were Japanese?
>>
>>43569908
I'm calling it Korean food > Japanese food
And that's all I would use a foxslut waifu for anyway.
>>
>>43569899
I never looked into her but I always assumed she was a kitsune. Her abilities certainly never screamed "mindrapist cannibal" to me. More like "Foxslut fanservice mage"

Does she actually do that kind of shit in her lore? as if lore in LoL ever mattered
>>
>>43569969
her entire purpose is stealing men's souls, so yes.
>>
>>43569969
leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Ahri
TL;DR fox gets turned into qt human gril, charms people and eats their souls
>>
File: 1424566674465.png (751 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1424566674465.png
751 KB, 900x900
>>43569969
>However, though she appeared human, she knew that in truth the transformation was incomplete. A cunning creature, she adapted herself to the customs of human society and used her profound gift of beauty to attract unsuspecting men. She could consume their life essences when they were under the spell of her seductive charms. Feeding on their desires brought her closer to her dream, but as she took more lives, a strange sense of regret began to well within her. She had reservations about actions which never troubled her as a fox. She realized that she could not overcome the pangs of her evolving morality. In search of a solution, Ahri found the Institute of War, home of the most gifted mages on Runeterra. They offered her a chance to attain her humanity without further harm through service in the League of Legends.

Ahri used to be a Fox and was turned into her humanoid form via "a wizard did it, I don't have to explain it" and then proceeded to go around sucking peoples' life essences out through their dicks until she suddenly realized that was probably a dick move. I don't know if that counts for your criteria.

I also have surprisingly few Ahri pics saved to my League folder.
>>
>>43566872
Who plays Elder Scrolls for properly-portrayed myths?
>>
>>43569542
Look for a webcomic called Fox Sister. Currently seems to have stalled out, but it is a rather nice read regardless. The kumiho there is notably of the insane serial killer variety.
>>
>>43567358
Japanese folklore is crazy as shit.
I like the monster whose sole purpose is showing people the eyeball in its ass. Can't remember the name though.
>>
>>43569990
>>43570030
>>43570043

I suppose I can't deny that then.

Still wish she was a bit less... slutty I guess, and more murder-y.

But it's LoL so fanservice is kind of expected.

>>43570070

That sounds promising, minus the stalled out part. I will have to give it a shot. Thanks anon.
>>
http://www.cracked.com/article_18814_the-7-most-ridiculous-ghost-stories-from-around-world.html

Here's some good ideas.
>>
>>43569805
Funny that it's the very first chapter even.
>>
File: genderuwo_by_unded.jpg (113 KB, 546x630) Image search: [Google]
genderuwo_by_unded.jpg
113 KB, 546x630
>>43554096

The Genderuwo is a variety of ghost spoken of in both Javanese and Indonesian mythology. They metamorphose from particularly potent spirits of the those who kill themselves due to personal flaws either real or imaginary.

Genderuwo grow to immensely large heights often taller than trees and can be recognized by their dual sets of tusks hairy hide and flaming eyes.

Genderuwo are very violent and take great pleasure in raping living women which can often lead to victims deaths. Those who do not die during this coupling face future horrors as the genderuwo can end up possessing any child conceived of the union.

Warlocks, witch doctors and skilled enough practitioners of black magic are believed to use genderuwo as prized servants alongside other lesser spirits. These bound genderuwo are tasked by the binder with carrying out murders , thefts and cheating in gambling by observing their opponents moves in a non corporeal state.
>>
>>43569908
I was going to remark on the actual intent of my comment being certain wartime atrocities committed by one of those parties onto the other, for which reparations have yet to be paid, but that's likely to bring a certain nation's defense force out of the woodwork to piss an moan about their waifu country, so I'll stop here.

You're a weeb.
>>
it's sad that a lot of obscure mythological creatures are just the X version of Y

also, most of them do exist in the monstrous manual of some version of DnD
>>
File: Fachan2aa.jpg (14 KB, 400x494) Image search: [Google]
Fachan2aa.jpg
14 KB, 400x494
>>43554096

Hows about the Fachan. Huge fay with a one eye,hand,and leg. Moves around by doing hulk jumps and can kill people by its sheer aura of terror.
>>
>>43569779
I wouldn't say an aneurysm, but that is how I recognize the name.
>>
>>43570447
The illustration of that thing in Faeries used to terrify me as a child.
>>
File: Meme_Miku.jpg (55 KB, 533x359) Image search: [Google]
Meme_Miku.jpg
55 KB, 533x359
>>43570224
this is the coolest fucking shit.

i am so going with that!

> Gen-der-u-wo? not Jen duru woa?
>>
>>43570435
It's kind of inevitable, really.

One culture comes up with a monster myth, a nearby culture takes it and twists it into their own version, and then the next nearby culture does the same while the first culture's myth turns into a different thing at the same time.

Same thing happened with a lot of pagan gods, like Zeus/Odin and Artemis/Freya/Diana.
>>
File: 50.jpg (69 KB, 600x785) Image search: [Google]
50.jpg
69 KB, 600x785
>>43570070
Yup. That was pretty much what I wanted. Was rather lovely, if short. Art was very nice too.

That fight towards the end was giving me some Garden of Sinners vibes, which is a good thing.

Thank you quite a bit anon. Though now I get to wait forever for more.
>>
>>43570070
>currently seems to have stalled out
>currently

More like it stalled out over a year ago. I was reading back when it still updated, and it feels more like two or three years since it stopped, to be honest.

She's dead, Jim.
>>
>>43554096

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samodiva_%28mythology%29

Samodiva are cool. They're kind of like harpies, succubi, and phoenixes all bundled up into one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_bird

You can also trade a burning succubus for a shocking Incubus. Not to be confused with a Thunderbird which, while cool, is a different culture.
>>
>>43570493

I have heard it as Gen-der-u-wo but I do know that both countries have slightly different ways of saying it.
>>
>>43569947
Bibimbap is my shit
>>
>>43569258
There's also a sorta popular Korean TV show "my girlfriend is a kumiho" and the avengers just got a new member who is a woman possessed by one of these things or something
>>
File: Gorgon.jpg (53 KB, 400x272) Image search: [Google]
Gorgon.jpg
53 KB, 400x272
>>43570435
Don't get me started on the Monster Manuals. I love reading them. They, more than anything else, shape the setting with creature and cultural descriptions, but any idea that they tried to match myth is ridiculous.

For example, in mythology Medusa was the name of a particular Gorgon killed by Perseus.

In D&D, a Medusa is a snake woman with snakes for hair that turns you to stone with her gaze. A Gorgon, which is a separate creature, is huge bull covered in metal scales that spews a cone of petrifying gas.
>>
File: Strange and Quirky 1.jpg (3 MB, 1982x4830) Image search: [Google]
Strange and Quirky 1.jpg
3 MB, 1982x4830
I've got this for you ...
>>
File: Strange and Quirky 2.jpg (3 MB, 1986x5970) Image search: [Google]
Strange and Quirky 2.jpg
3 MB, 1986x5970
>>43573259
and this
>>
File: Satan's Dick.jpg (568 KB, 1997x1160) Image search: [Google]
Satan's Dick.jpg
568 KB, 1997x1160
>>43573265
from the same thread

love and kisses
>>
The Cat Sith and Cu Sith are Scottish spirits that look like a cat and a dog respectively. The Cat Sith is basically a big-ass cat that will steal the souls of the dead if it walks over them before they're buried and the Cu Sith is a psychopomp of sorts but it can be escaped if you reach shelter by its third bark.
>>
Brazil has some really colorful folklore.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headless_Mule
The ghost of a woman cursed by god to turn into a headless fire-breathing mule that runs around the countryside on Thursday nights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caipora
Little jungle dudes that go around fucking with hunters. They're got their feet on backwards to leave confusing trails and they punish hunters who don't abide by the rules of fair play when hunting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_river_dolphin#Cultural_references
There's a myth about river dolphins who transform into a really handsome guy and bangs human women.
>>
>>43573061
I've always wondered about the bull Gorgon. If there anything that is actually referencing, or is it really DnD fucked up and some people, especially the Japanese, liked it that way?
>>
File: Tuyul.jpg (92 KB, 780x440) Image search: [Google]
Tuyul.jpg
92 KB, 780x440
>>43561830
You missed out some and more intresting stories about the tuyul tho.
Common theme is that the tuyul still had the habit of a child inside it. Owner of tuyul must regularly play with it akin to what you would do with a toddler. They also likes to play outside, so its not uncommon to hear rumors about a guy that suddenly get rich quick, would like to be seen walking around during afternoon in a hunched pose, as if he's carrying an invinsible kid in his back. This also bring us back to its diet. Where it is said that they were vampiric, tuyuls usually wants to be treated with breast milk from the owner's own wife. This usually ended up with the owner to practice polygamy, by using his 2nd wife as a surrogate mother for the supernatural "child", tending to its needs such as playtime, feeding, care, etc.
Thieving is tuyuls main function. Tuyuls differs in quality, in which there is no firm agreement of it. Lower-grade tuyuls had limited range and the amount of money they can steal as well as limited accessibility, meaning it can only steals money that is put carelessly. However, Highest-grade tuyul are known to have
>Operating range over hundreds of kilometers
>Able to acknowledge foreign currency and thus steal them, as well as able to swiped out more money than normal.
>Could separate fake and forged money from the real ones.
>Able to went through safe-deposit box with ease, and also to had innate sense about money whereabouts. It can sense money being hidden away in secret compacts.
Another rumor I heard is that these high-grade tuyuls also usually asks for his own harem of female tuyuls.
When they are not active, tuyuls hibernates in bottles and other small objects. A damage said to the tuyul are also said to be reflected to its owner.

pic related, drawing of tuyul by a girl that was said to have catch 11 of them, who swarms up her grandfather's place.
>>
>>43573839
it's also said that you can cheat or distract tuyuls by scattering beans or candy around the place where you keep them. as well as rolling up paper money as they have some sort of pet peeve like how some demons can't touch anything made of iron or steel.

The worst thing about owning one is that it's hereditary. so, it passes on to the owner's children where they have to meet it's piling demands. Some of the only ways to get rid them is by trapping them in sa bottle and throwing them away at sea, burying them again to lay them to rest.
>>
Not as interesting but certainly obscure.

Finnish mythology has a thing called Vetehinen (waterling) that was the spirit of a drowned person that lured people into the lakes and rivers to drown too and keep it company.

It could sometimes appear in the guise of a horse, trying to get someone to ride it. Once you get on, you can't get off. It walks straight into the lake it lives in and drowns you.

There is a story how humanity got rid of the waterling, it has minor alterations depending on the location it's being told in but the main plot is this: waterling is being its usual self and luring some fishermen to jump off their boat, the fishermen told it to fuck off and that they are busy so the waterling took a grib on the boat and attempted to tip it over. The fishermen got pissed and cut off its hands for being such a shit.
Waterling understood that it fucked up and promised not to bother humanity if he can have his hands back. It got its hands back and seems like it's keeping the promise.

The vengeful culmination of drowned souls was driven off for eternity by some guys not giving a single fuck.
>>
>>43574132
Might as well tell another one just to bump the thread.

Kakkiainen (translates to Shitter. I'm not kidding.) was a catch-all term for minor spirits and unknown entities, basically the ancient version of term UFO. Some of them were defined by their most common behavior.

Hapsenkakkiainen (shitter of locks of hair) was a little asshole that caused baldness and snapped fishingline. WHy these two things for one creature? Who knows.

Unikakkiainen (sleep shitter) was a thing that came to you when you were sleeping and whispered you secret locations of buried treasure. Sometimes they lied for shits and giggles but sometimes not, you could never know before trying the spot.

Vesikakkiainen/katka (water shitter or amphipod) for some reason people assumed that the little shrimp like animals living in fresh water were the manifestation of water shitter. Water shitter only cut fishinglines but had a physical manifestation to do so.
>>
>>43573800
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 had bull Gorgons for the fortress faction as well.

I believe both were inspired by these kind of death-bull things but I cannot remember the name of them at all. Something like 'Kathybolas'?

I might be way off. Always assumed they were greek but not sure now since I cannot find them.
>>
>>43574274

Here it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catoblepas
>>
File: Don King.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Don King.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
>>43570293
Lets not forget Japan's other war crimes
>>
Don't know if it really counts since it's a god but fuck it have Nyami Nyami;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyami_Nyami
>>
File: obscure.jpg (13 KB, 238x267) Image search: [Google]
obscure.jpg
13 KB, 238x267
Bigfoot (also known as Sasquatch) is the name given to a cryptid simian-,[2] ape-, hominid-, or Hominin-like creature that is said to inhabit forests, mainly in the Pacific Northwest region of North America. Bigfoot is usually described as a large, hairy, bipedal humanoid.
>>
>>43574228
>Kakkiainen (translates to Shitter. I'm not kidding.)
I think "poopling" would be a more accurate translation, seeing as the -ainen ending is a common diminutive and kakka is poop (less strong word for excrement than shit). Although I'm not entirely sure if the word actually shares etymology with the Finnish word for poop, or if it's just a coincidence that the two sound the same.
>>
>>43554096
M'Boitatá is of brazilian folklore.

A fire snake which ignites forests, with many eyes or stars on its body.

It's the closest to a dragon on Brazil
>>
>>43573389
Depending of the history, the mule is actually a girl who fucked an priest and then turned into a uncontrolable fire breathing mule, so uncontrolable the fire bathes her entire head,giving the idea she is headless. To take the curse back, someone needs to tame the fucking uncontrolled thing.

Caiporas dont dislike hunting per se, but actually uncontroled hunting. You can take meat for your own survival tho.

Pink Botos are dicks, pretty much what you said.

Others I remember by head

A Saci is a one legged black gnome thing made from the ghost of a dead slave child. Is a trickster and has the ability to make whirlwinds and ride then.

Boitata is a snake who ate fire/light/the sun and turned into a fire elemental snake.

Mapinguary is a huuuge cyclopean furred beast with a mouth that goes from the neck to the belly, from what I remember more liked ly to an animal than a defender per se, to kill it you attack his underbelly.

An whistler is an ghost thing that use whistling based teletinect powers. Looking at it makes you die in three days. You shoundt whistle back, else you get it's attenttion.

There's a woman lizard with a fire head that lives in a certain lake in the south, before comming out of the water a lot of vapor comes out, she has parts with the red devil.

It was said a giant worm lived in a lake around here too; a huge beast with green flamming eys and a furred headtip who attacked boats and eat cattle in the shores, it now already got of age and now swim in the ocean.
>>
File: 9730367.jpg (29 KB, 339x250) Image search: [Google]
9730367.jpg
29 KB, 339x250
Nykur.

Now what is a Nykur? Well, its a horse, with its hoofs and ears facing backwards, and it lives in lakes, rivers, and the sea.
Now, the Nykur just loves drowning people. but its a horse, so it doesn't have many ways to drown people, not like us humans. So, to rectify that situation,the Nykur tries to get people to ride upon its back. Why? you ask. Well, the answer is that, once riding on the back of a Nykur, the rider will find themselves stuck to horse as it runs towards the nearest source of deep water, where they will drown, as the Nykur will swim to the very bottom of the chosen location.
Of course, the Nykur can be escaped once you are riding on its back, provided you have scissors or a sharp knife that will let you cut your way out of your pants.
>>
>>43576287
Not gonna lie, thought that was some G1 MLP stuff right there.

A while ago, I was planning for a campaign, and one of my players came to me asking if they could play a hoopsnake. This is like an American West version of the Ourobouros, where the snake is able to hold onto its own tail, and propel itself forward like a wheel to chase down prey. I might end up using it at some point, anyway, just to fuck with him and the other players.
>>
>>43570224
Genderuwo is a social construct.
>>
>>43558029
>/r9k/
>able to do something useful like make artifacts
>>
>>43577336
Most mythological creatures are.

You can't just say "don't obsess over your flaws", but you can say "if you kill yourself while obsessing over them, you'll turn into an ugly murder-rape demon and evil dudes will enslave you to murder and rape people for their benefit.
>>
>>43577436
The artifacts naturally appear from all the times thay save and resave jpgs of Pepe.
>>
>>43576287
So, lets bring in another Icelandic creature. This time, a far more dangerous one. The Skoffín.

Now, the Skoffín is a creature with two different beginnings, depending on the part of Iceland you are in when you ask how they come into existence. the wider spread origin is that the Skoffín are the results of a male fox and a female cat. The other is that they are hatched from a roosters egg, because apparently roosters will lay a single egg when they are really old, and the Skoffín will hatch out of that egg.

Now, what makes Skoffín dangerous? its is not their claws, nor their bite, no. It is their deadly gaze. Locking eyes with a Skoffín, means instant death.

Now, the appearance of a Skoffín is that of a hairless mix between a cat and a fox. There is nothing else to that. just imagine a cat-fox hybrid and remove the fur and there you got Skoffín.

Now, to kill a Skoffín, you have several ways. A pitchfork is useful if you encounter one just a few seconds after its been born, but if it matures, you need to get some heavier gear. Silver bullets, and an accurate rifle to be exact, as almost nothing else will penetrate its freakish furless hide. Or, you can skimp on the equipment and just get a few mirrors. After all the Skoffíns gaze is deadly, even to itself.
>>
>>43566872
A random draugr deathlord is far more dangerous than Alduin.
>>
>>43577458
you missed the joke
>>
File: 05A.jpg (137 KB, 640x853) Image search: [Google]
05A.jpg
137 KB, 640x853
>>43554096
Cúlebre (Cantabrian), is a giant winged serpent-dragon of the Asturian and Cantabrian mythology, that lives in a cave, guards treasures and keeps xanas as prisoners. Although they are immortal, they grow old as the time goes by and their scales become thick and impenetrable, and bat wings grow in their bodies. They can summon the storm and lightnings. They don't usually move, and when they do it, it is in order to eat cattle and people. One can kill the cúlebre giving him as meal a red-hot stone or a bread full of pins. Its spit it is said to turn into a magic stone which heals many diseases.

In Midsummer, which is a magical night in Asturian and Cantabrian folklore, it is possible for brave men to defeat the cúlebre, whose spells don't take effect that night, and marry the xana and get the treasure. However in Cantabrian areas it's said the night of Saint Bartholomew the creature increases his power and unleashes all his fury against people in revenge.
>>
>>43567358
oh a spherical lightining.

scientist affirm it exist in real life.
>>
>>43573061
>>43573800
>>43574274
Jason and argonauts had to fight the bronze bull Khalkotauroi. That breath fire.
I'm pretty sure D&D got it from there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalkotauroi
>>
>>43581556

Its 2015 why can't we have a trans-genderuwo?
>>
>>43567368
You left out the drunken, murderous rages and how they rape young ladies that they lured away.
>>
>>43569411
Even the Kumiho can waifued.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Girlfriend_Is_a_Nine-Tailed_Fox

Though mistaking Korean for Japanese is a bad thing. It'd probably justify having your liver eaten.
>>
>>43566872
The top teir Draugr you face are starting to approach Norse tier and if you are unprepared for one, they'll utterly wreck your shit.
But yeah, it's disapointing they didn't do more with them. Especially when they already had zombies in the previous games.
>>
File: Al-Buraf_Hafifa.jpg (53 KB, 550x429) Image search: [Google]
Al-Buraf_Hafifa.jpg
53 KB, 550x429
>>43554096
The Buraq is a mythical heavenly creature in Abrahamic religion, who rode the prophets to heaven. It's noted to be a winged horse with a human face in Persian and East Asian art, though there is no real mention of it in the original texts.

It is said to be able to reach the horizons with each of its steps. The Baruq carried Abraham to Mecca and guided by the angel Gabriel (Jibril) took Muhammad to Jerusalem and to each of the various heavens.

Kinda like the Muslim Kelpie.
>>
File: Martigora_engraving.jpg (35 KB, 500x293) Image search: [Google]
Martigora_engraving.jpg
35 KB, 500x293
>>43587463
more like a cross between pegasus and a manticore. Name translates to Lightning, possibly how the term "ride the lightning" comes from.

speaking of, Manticores originate from Persia that have a human head with a body of a lion and a tail of a scorpion or dragon. they have a possible relation to sphinxes. They've got a bunch of stuff that they can do ranging from growing giant bat wings, a loud trumpet-like voice, spitting poison spines to paralyze or intoxicate victims to having three rows of teeth that they may devour people till they leave nothing behind.
>>
>>43567358
This ^

Most of them teach you a lesson or are thwarted by some very specific know-how like tricking a kapa into bowing to spill the water on its head. Kinda feel like that was the ancient Japanese storytellers way of "reblog to spread the word!!1!"-ing so others felt obliged to share the tales.
>>
>>43576287
maybe it just wants to take you to the chest full of gold in the bottom of the lake. see he it just wants to give you something very nice you just have to hold your breath long enough
>>
File: Wendigo-0.jpg (149 KB, 788x1014) Image search: [Google]
Wendigo-0.jpg
149 KB, 788x1014
The Wendigo! known in USA and canada's folklore as a spirit who manifests taking the corpse of someone who committed cannibalism as punishment for their sinful act.
It takes the image of a undead deer-man, roaming the frozen forests looking for humans to satisfy his endless hunger for human flesh.
>>
>>43575979
it doesn't ignite forests, it burns those who defiles it.
>>
>>43591419
Wendigo's pretty well known, isn't it? It's in Until Dawn as the main enemy.

And where does the deer-headed thing come from? I've seen it everywhere in art but only read descriptions of it looking like an emaciated human being, skin pulled tight over the bones, with ragged, bloody lips. Pretty much the exaggerated version of what someone might look like after a week of starvation in the forest.

Little known fact about the wendigo though, is that it grows in size with every person eaten so it can never satiate its hunger. Just imagine wendgios so old, who've eaten so many people (people disappear into thin air every day in the US), they're so large and so thin and terrible you can't tell their legs or reaching arms from the forest around you.
>>
File: fairyroom_Yara_ma_yha_who.jpg (282 KB, 600x767) Image search: [Google]
fairyroom_Yara_ma_yha_who.jpg
282 KB, 600x767
Here's one from the land down under
>The Yara-ma-yha-who is a creature from Australian Aboriginal legend. This creature resembles a little red man with a very big head and large mouth with no teeth. On the ends of its hands and feet are suckers. It lives in fig trees and does not hunt for food, but waits until an unsuspecting traveler rests under the tree. It then drops onto the victim and drains their blood using the suckers on its hands and feet, making them weak. It then consumes the person, drinks some water, and then takes a nap. When the Yara-ma-yha-who awakens, it regurgitates the victim, leaving it shorter than before. The victim's skin also has a reddish tint to it that it didn't have before. It repeats this process several times. At length, the victim is transformed into a Yara-ma-yha-who itself. According to legend, the Yara-ma-yha-who will only prey upon a living person, so (hypothetically speaking) you could survive an encounter with this monster by "playing-dead" until sunset; the creature only hunts during the day.
>>
>>43592435
>watching a German guy LP Until Dawn
>keeps thinking the monster is some sort of vampire
>it's revealed as a wendigo
>"Vat's zat, some kind uf zombie or someting?"
Yuros don't know about wendigs.
>>
>>43554355
>yfw you realize the selkie myth was just an excuse for why a man's wife might be missing. he actually killed her.
>>
>>43592435
>And where does the deer-headed thing come from?
Not sure really, half the descriptions I read about the Wendigo are about the deer undead, and the other half are those starving ragged humans, hell sometimes they mention both in the same description.
One exception would be in Sang-Froid: tales of werewolfes, where Wendigos look more like Ice monsters (but nonetheless still came from cannibals).
I personally like the deer one better, since it looks more monstrous
>>
File: supernaturalwendigo.jpg (265 KB, 1333x2000) Image search: [Google]
supernaturalwendigo.jpg
265 KB, 1333x2000
>>43592435
They kind of vary. The ones I prefer most would be the Deer variant, or the notwerewolf. Crazed humans and notyetis are things I have seen as well. The notyetis seem dumb as fuck to me but I have only seen them in Warcraft and the old Majesty games so they are not too common.

There is also the variant that is just a spirit who possesses people that eat the flesh of humans, and thus can be expelled. That type exists in NEO Scavenger, a hex-map survival roguelike. It is very common for a player to become one unknowingly due to the abundance of the most dangerous game and the lack of food. No transformation or anything for that, you just become more and more hungry and believe that no other food can fulfill your hunger (though they can).

Supernatural also has a Wendigo episode, I believe in the first season. They are a fucked up looking human with claws kind of thing. I believe they were kidnapping hikers/campers to eat later in that.
>>
>>43594152
>It is very common for a player to become one unknowingly due to the abundance of the most dangerous game and the lack of food
Huh never encountered that, but then I always took botany and trapping as starting skills, never went hungry.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (187 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
187 KB, 1366x768
>>43594185
Yeah I always took the combat beast skills, and then murdered every bandit I came across and ate them.

Never went hungry with that either. Though if they had a gun it was always a 50/50 chance that they would have ammo for it and you might take a serious wound if they hit.

Strong and Melee I think would also allow you to brutally takedown and kill the dogman at the start, and you could take the video evidence with you and use it to get into the city immediately, also granting you the legendary Unstoppable feat that gives improved stats across the board and two new combat moves. Could also take shards of glass from the broken window and skin the dogman, to get a dogman fur coat if you have Trapping which provided a fear aura and great protection against both attacks and the environment.

Then you pick up the nearest blunt weapon and become a raging unstoppable very hungry cannibalistic barbarian that instills fear in any who see you.
>>
>>43593016
I'm probably the only one who does, to be honest.
>>
>>43561830
I'll be damned. I actually haven't heard of this one before.
>>
Can we get onto my favourite part about these creatures of myth? How to kill them.
I always hated that lol you look at him and die. No, fuck that shit. I want to kill the fucker and live. You know? No point in fearing.
>>
>>43560296
>The light it your true friend.

I feel like I am being subtlety threatened by this enerfy company.
>>
File: woodchipper.jpg (34 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
woodchipper.jpg
34 KB, 550x550
>>43595723
Silver and fire will kill about 90% of everything usually.

If those don't work you can always try cutting them up so badly that it would not matter if they were still alive.

For things like spirits though, you are shit out of luck.
>>
>>43596701
Spirits? You can beat that shit with a basic-ass herb garden. Spirits are pussies.
>>
>>43593116
The deer skull part is where Wendigoes ended up getting mixed with another entity. Pretty sure it was a skinwalker story of some sort.
>>
>>43596701
Iron works for a few things, too.
>>
>>43569542
iirc Korean mythology is actually packed with monstergirl waifus, but they preferred tigers and river spirit dragon-phoenix- looking things over foxes
>>
>>43579023
I want to say that Cockatrices also come from an egg laid by a very old rooster, with the difference that the cockatrice egg must be warmed by a toad or a snake.
They're also pretty much originally basilisks with wings.
Th only way to stop them from hatching is to throw the egg clear over your house, so that it never touches the house.
>>
File: kushtaka.jpg (35 KB, 469x500) Image search: [Google]
kushtaka.jpg
35 KB, 469x500
I like the Kushtaka/Kooshdahka/a million spellings but they all basically are Tlingit for "Land Otter Man" (that's "land otter man" as in "man that is a land otter" as opposed to "man that is a sea otter" which is not really a thing).

They were instructed by Raven to rescue drowning people. Which would be okay, except then they steal that person's soul and turn them into one of them.

They are like were-otters that act like a combination of Fae and vampires.

Here is a nice explanation: http://esoterx.com/2013/01/09/the-fearsome-alaskan-tlingit-kushtaka-if-its-not-one-thing-its-an-otter/
>>
>>43581900
Culebre also sometimes are depicted with humanoid female torsos
>>
>>43600527
Dragon tits.
Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.