[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a problem with having abilities that always produce
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: dice.jpg (79 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
dice.jpg
79 KB, 600x600
Is there a problem with having abilities that always produce the same result, but consume a randomized amount of resource, as opposed to having abilities that consume a fixed amount of resource and have varying effectiveness?
>>
>>43553985
Yes. No. Depends.
>>
>>43553985
In theory no, but it depends on a lot of surrounding info we don't have to make it "balanced".
>>
>>43554149
Well the reason I have in mind for doing this is the resources in question exist in quite limited amounts, so instead of having things that consume less resource, you would have things that have a lower chance to consume resource.
>>
>>43553985
You have 1 resource
Ability costs between 1 and 3 resources
What do?
>>
>>43553985
I'm curious as to what kind of ability does that more than anything. It's interesting to hear about. Do tell.
>>
>>43554384

How many resources do I have? How quickly can I replenish them? Do I need to convert other resources into the one I use? Am I the only one consuming this resource?
>>
>>43554384

This is the core "problem" of the mechanic.

It becomes a stronger option the fewer resources that you have.

Also if you are going to wind up considering things like variable minimum costs for the abilities and the range of randomization for the cost of abilities.

I think it would be a pretty interesting mechanic for a survival game to push desperation since the player(s) can't specifically math out resource consumption over a certain amount of turns.
>>
>>43554384
You attempt thing. If thing's cost is one, you successfully do thing. If thing's cost is two or three, then you waste your resource and your turn.
>>
I like the basic premise. I'd play it if the mechanics were executed competently.

Do you see a niche in this system for something like a rare, last ditch success?

How about an unforeseen failure that requires hasty improvisation?

Both are "realistic" and can open up new avenues of play that aren't available when outcomes are more predictable.

It seems like the system would generally favor a reserved, cautious playstyle. The group basically knows what they're doing and methodically proceeds.

Seems sensible for a game about experts doing shit in a very competent way.
>>
>>43554814

This. OR. If it costs 2 or 3 in this situation, then the 1 resource is used up and the rest is taken out of your HP (or harms you in some other way, depending on the health system in the game).
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.