[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Alternate Tabletop Slang
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9
File: 200_s.gif (37 KB, 356x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
37 KB, 356x200
One thing I miss about the pre-internet age is that slang terms were less standardized. Slang terms were often different from one subculture or social circle to another, or meant different things.

For example, what /tg/ refers to as "That Guy" I have always known as:

Gary. n. A Gary is a gamer who ruins the experience for everyone else. A Gary is often overweight or extremely underweight, has odious grooming habits or is very unappealing to look at. A true Gary combines these traits with a massively inflated sense of self-worth, a sore loser temperament or a tendency to insert bizarre or uncomfortable sexual elements into games.

So named because every single, ugly, egotistical pervert we ever gamed with just so happened to be named "Gary" for some reason. This included a fatass who once showed up to our CCG group wearing a children's Yu-Gi-Oh costume and demanding to be called "Seto Kaiba." We just called him "Fatso Cholesterol."

"OH MY GOD. This build should never die to a CR 4!! THis DM SUCKS and needs to learn to balance encounters!"

"Don't be such a Gary, dude."
>>
>inb4 someone starts a Gary thread
>>
File: 1430628858696.jpg (5 KB, 251x240) Image search: [Google]
1430628858696.jpg
5 KB, 251x240
>>43552474
>Fatso Cholesterol
>>
>>43552474
My group had the term "flash" for flaky players, specifically girls who tried the game once, and then never played again.

"What happened to Jenny?"
"She was flash, man."

I wish either we had had more narrative games back then, or that I hadn't been so worried about appearances. (I deliberately avoided showing girls the World of Darkness games I owned, because I felt like it'd be sexist or something, having read about all the late nineties goth girl players.) Looking back, they might have been more interested in games less rule dense than 3.X

I know we had some weird terms for magic cards, but I cannot recall them at the moment. We called fatties something else. Beefcakes, I think. Anything over 5/5 was a beefcake.
>>
>>43552474
We used "laugh track"
For that guy who made joke out of every thing that the DM said.
Every character, location, item name, every sex joke that could be made out of ANYTHING.

"We don't need a laugh track", "been watching too much friends have you?"
>>
yall know the game "werewolf"?
>inb4 edgy
its basically citizens vs wolves
sitting in a circle
citizens dont know the wolves
wolves know each other
each "night" everyone closes their eyes, wolves "awake" and murder one citizen
the day after everyone discusses who could be responsible and then lynch that one

then theres special roles like the witch
she gets to know who the wolves want to eat after they decided, and then can save him with a potion (yes health potion revives you after being eaten by wolves, dont question it) and/or use poison, but both only once per game

or the seer who gets to know one person's role each night

or Jason. Jason needs to pee, and hence wants to get lynched by the citizens (or so the legend goes). he wins when he gets lynched, looses when he doesnt.
jason is not an "original" role, but fairly popular amongst the werewolf games in my country.

and yes, there is an original jason. I've met him.
>>
>>43552474
Back in my day, munchkins were known as 'wish gnomes', fat gamers were called 'whale sharks' and roleplaying was called 'flutting the dices'. Good times.
>>
Why do you guys make fun of fat people so much? I mean, if they're assholes sure, but just to make fun?
>>
>>43559325
People will make fun out of anything, and fat people happen to have a flaw that's noticeable as soon as you see them.
>>
File: image.jpg (244 KB, 1040x629) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
244 KB, 1040x629
>>43559325
>>
File: 1409178738356.jpg (43 KB, 425x300) Image search: [Google]
1409178738356.jpg
43 KB, 425x300
>>43552474
>Fatso Cholesterol.
>>
>>43559439
Spot on.
>>
>>43552474
This is how the word "Gary" sounds in my head now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbv5R6CHz3E

I think it's fitting.
>>
>>43557018
Jason?
You mean the tanner, whose life is so miserable that death at the hands of the wolf is his only escape.
>>
>>43559250
"Munchkins" are minmaxers, right? Not sure I'm remembering that one so well.
>>
>>43559325
It's also a sort of feed-back loop, in some cases.

Nerds in general can have a problem with social expertise. They tend to have spent a lot of time being ostracized, picked on, etc, by people they saw as having more power than them.

When they find circles that THEY have something resembling power (video games, RPGS, card games) because of their intense study of the topic, many immediately fall into the same shitty behaviors that pushed them into these hobbies, as a way of improving their self-esteem. This leads to them frequently being pushed out of those circles, which they then attribute to their 'skills' with the game, furthering their inner narrative of isolated genius.

It seems to be most common among fatter players partly because of >>43559399. They're not just nerds, they're conventionally unattractive and typically physically unfit nerds. They have even more built up social stress they're unloading.

I've seen it in action once or twice, and strive to avoid it myself, being an overweight gamer.
>>
>>43559439
>posting a page from japanese comic
>thinks he is posting some sage truth
>expects to be taken seriously
I dislike ham-beasts, specially if they try to defend being one... but you're a retard.
>>
File: 268616_2252446587853_778033_n.jpg (56 KB, 440x661) Image search: [Google]
268616_2252446587853_778033_n.jpg
56 KB, 440x661
>>43552474
Did every place have a guy who demanded to be called Seto Kaiba? Pic Related is my own local Seto Kaiba. He wanted to spar with me once outside of his church. I was a purple belt in karate at the time and I don't think he did any martial arts at all. He kicked at me and I knocked his leg out from under him and he hit his head on the ground. Good times.

We also have a local girl who calls herself Pegasus, but she's actually really cool and is like 40, so doesn't take it too seriously. She just played a toon deck back when it was big.
>>
>>43559439
What if someone doesn't care about being liked?
>>
>>43552474
In my area we used to call munchkins and minmaxers "twinks." I forget why.
>>
Rules lawyers mixed with That guy we called 'rules raping power gamers'.
Prodigal sorcery in MtG was called.Timmy Ala Tim the enchanter.also the card bash to bits was a running joke.
Any character you had was referee to as a 'toon.
>>
>>43564315
Your "Seto" is about 300 pounds to small and 20 years too you. Gary was in his 30's still lived with his mom and was practically spherical.
>>
File: disgusted massive baby.jpg (315 KB, 897x1200) Image search: [Google]
disgusted massive baby.jpg
315 KB, 897x1200
>>43567078
>Any character you had was referee to as a 'toon.
>>
>>43567078
>Any character you had was referee to as a 'toon.
We used to refer to people like you as "special needs children."
>>
>>43567100
>>43567192
Well you can get fucked by the wrong end of a d20 next criticall roll bucko.
>>
>>43567100
>>43567192
Remind me why this is such a cardinal sin?
>>
>>43567360
>>43567408
Well, there's kind of a stigma against people who only know how to treat TRPGs like MMOs, and "toon" is a slang term in MMOs, so it's a pretty obvious association with something that's looked down on.
>>
>>43557018
Played the same game in highschool except it was mafia instead of werewolves. The guy who wanted to get lynched was just called the joker.

Every time the villagers would lynch the same guy at the beginning of the game, every single time.
>>
Twink - A munchkin
Ball Magic - Bullshit
Whips and chains for vampire games - A phrase mocking the "edgy" artwork in VtM
>>
We actually adopted V:tM's "fishmalk" to mean any player playing their character as chaotic randum.
>>
>>43559439
That's all fine and well and good, but some people have just come up snake eyes on the Genetic craps game.
>>
>>43559439
>this picture again
Vain cunts are much worse 9/10 times, dint give me that shit.
>>
>>43559439
Is this Liar Game?
>>
>>43567449
It's looked down on pretty hard in MMOs too though.
>>
>>43567408
Because it implies you view your character as nothing more than a player avatar in a game instead of as a character in a story, plus it gives the hobby an air of childishness and shows immaturity in the player using the word.
>>
>>43570458
Its a fine line between dignity and vanity
>>
Nu Nu.

A Nu Nu is a completely useless PC.
>>
>>43562352
Munchkins are players who try to "win" at games like D&D. They use min maxed builds to that end but also attempt to badger and con DMs and other players to get ahead. To my knowledge they view games as competitive and will even cheat in order to beat other players.
>>
>>43572837
Some examples of a munchkins mean spirited are:

> Claiming a party member should not receive any experience from an encounter if they were knocked unconcious by an aoe sleep spell befire they could contribute tothe fight (so the munchkin gets a bigger cut).
> Hoarding magical items "he found" that would be of most help to another party member so that he can sellthem to buy things for himself.
> Calculating the amount of healing he recieved against the amount of damage he took in an encounter to see if he would have survived it without healing in order to try and deny the healer experience because he didn't contribute to a specific kill or kills (again for a bigger cut for himself).
>>
>>43572920
Wait people actually do that?
>>
File: 1421121565006.png (211 KB, 300x377) Image search: [Google]
1421121565006.png
211 KB, 300x377
>>43572920
>denying the healer experience based on seeing if he would have survived combat
What the fuck
I literally cannot even fathom this.
If he didn't have a healer no matter what he would have played differently, possibly attempting to run to live another day and not getting any real experience himself, unless the DM gives exp for tactical retreats (which they should)
but seriously, in any case
>being mean to the healer
>ever
Absolutely batshit crazy
>>
>>43573238
>being mean to the healer
Sometimes the healer is into that.

Not denying XP based on stupid math though, nobody's into that.
>>
>>43573254
>sometimes the healer is into that
Every healer is into that.
Every healer thread on /vg/ or even /tg/ turns into wanting to suck cock while the tank talks dirty at them, or something along those lines.
it's actually pretty hot
>>
>>43573334
People who choose to be healers tend to be pretty subby, but I imagine there's probably some hero somewhere who isn't.
>>
>>43559250
>dices
REMOVE
>>
>>43573337
Bitch please, of you're not doling out healing based on who pissed you off the least in the last scene you're doing it wrong.
>>
File: Gaaaaarrry~.jpg (344 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Gaaaaarrry~.jpg
344 KB, 1024x768
>>43552474
>Gary
>A Gary
>A Gary
>A true Gary
>be named "Gary"
>"Don't be such a Gary, dude."
>>43553645
>Gary thread
>>
>>43573337

Yeah, no, I use the threat of not healing to make people my bitch.

>fork in the labyrinth
>rogue and sorceror want to go left
>"well, have fun, I'm going right with my healing magic."
>fighter comes with me
>others follow
>make the rogue beg for me to put my healing hands on her. She has to call me 'Sir' to continue being healed. She's totally into it.
>>
File: Gary.jpg (226 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
Gary.jpg
226 KB, 620x350
>>43573847
I got yer Willis right here!
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.