[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what does /tg/ think about a game of playing some stray animals,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: Zwei-Katzen-Streuner.jpg (52 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Zwei-Katzen-Streuner.jpg
52 KB, 600x450
So what does /tg/ think about a game of playing some stray animals, be it cats, dogs, rabbits or whatever, fighting for day to day survival in the streets of some big city. Bonuspoints for post-apocalypse.
>>
Sure. I'd pass inthe post apoc aspect though. Part of the fun to me would be interacting with the mundane world.
>>
>>43547868
>So what does /tg/ think about a game of playing some stray animals, be it cats, dogs, rabbits or whatever, fighting for day to day survival in the streets of some big city.
Sounds awesome. Lots of room for good ideas and interesting adventures.

>Bonuspoints for post-apocalypse.
You misspelled demerits.
>>
That was a video game, wasn't it?
>>
Obligatory watership down reference
>>
>>43547868
>plays as stray cat, sit on trees and land on peoples faces then rest my taint on their faces.
>>
Sounds like It'd be fun for approx. 49 minutes before getting old.
>>
>>43548368
Plague Dogs>Watership Down
>>
It'd be fun for like two sessions max. You gotta throw a bone in there like a laboratory that is testing mind swap technology and all the shenanigans coming from that.
>>
>>43547868
>>43548031
>>43548074

...All right, fuck it, I'm interested now.

Firat question: What is the focus of this game? By OP, day-to-day survival, which suggests a sort of Survival/Exploration, possibly with elements of Adventure and occasional Mundane Horror (stray cats being chased by Killer Dogs and Men In Coats and the like). What would be our goals, though? Territory claiming? Personal growth? How should we track progress?

Second question: Strays, Wilds, Housepets, or a mix of all the above? Should probably be advantages and setbacks for each - Strays would be more familliar with how humans do things, but Housers would be generally more well-fed (if not as tough), and neither would hold a whisker to a Wild's instincts.

Third question - animal types, will they blend? Realistically, most kinds of critters stay with their own kind, and even pack animals like dogs are unlikely to let just any other beastie, even another dog, into their territory; so, what makes this mishmash special so that a cat, a rabbit, two beagles, a bearded dragon and a chinchilla will all travel together?

Liking the idea, just looking to wrap my head around a few things here and there.
>>
>>43548647
(OP here, though i don't really feel like trip- or namefagging right now)
It was just a random though to be honest xD
I'm homebrewing a system for personal use right now and was thinking what to do in case i need to scale on something smaler than the average human, so this though came to my mind. Anyway:

>What is the focus of this game?
I think that really depends on the party and where it wants to start. It might start with exploration, transitioning in claiming and defending territory and might end with being driven from there, finding a new home or even moving in with some Humans after being found on the street.
So it really depends what the goals of the characters are and how open they are to changing those goals.

>Strays, Wilds, Housepets, or a mix of all the above? Again, really depends on the focus the players want.
I'd really like a mix. Imagine some small city near a forest. You could have some strays and a housepet meeting them and deciding to go along for a day or two. Then they get cought by Men in Coats and have to get out of the animal shelter. (though this only really works with roaming cats i'd say)

>animal types, will they blend?
I think starting out with something like a cat and a dog growing up together (or any other two animals) that loose their home and become stray might work, but that's the highest of expectations in you want to keep things slightly realistic. Or you go full comicbook and mix as you like, though that was not the intention.
>>
>>43548647
Also for advantages depending on background and Species:
I was thinking about some really simple dicepool system. Some bonuspoints depending on species and background and maybe just a few select talents/feats to spice things up.
>>
>>43547868
It exists, it's called Cat. Check a PDF share thread, and you might find it if you ask nicely and are lucky.

I might have it on my other harddrive, if I find it I'll post it later.
>>
Since the PDF Share thread 404'd, here's Cat. Have fun, OP.

http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/paMHHl8b/file.html
>>
This idea will sell really well to the type of retarded hipster shitbags who like dungeon world, fate or other collaborative storytelling exercises (CSEs) as opposed to RPGs.

Good job, OP! You found another way to exploit the handicapped. Fire up your kickstarters!
>>
File: Trash.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Trash.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>43551973
>It's not about sci-fi or fantasy into the trash it goes!
>>
File: snitter.jpg (63 KB, 508x381) Image search: [Google]
snitter.jpg
63 KB, 508x381
>>43548368
>>43548439
The rhododendrons are in spring, Rowf!
>>
>>43551973

>I don't like it because it's bad
and
>It's bad because I don't like it
are not the same thing. I don't care for 40K (I know, double heresy, purge the unclean), but I don't waste my time trashing Dark Heresy and Only War threads. If you don't like the idea, you don't like the idea, and that's fine. If you're seriously going to try to 2edgy4yu the fluff because you don't like the crunch that hasn't even been decided yet, then kindly fuck right back off to a thread that does interest you.

Or, you know, hold your limp panhead another seven or eight hours and either the thread will ass out off of Page 10, or some actual fatguy will have finished grooming his neckbeard enough to come up with some rules you can actually properly be a bitch about.

Back on topic, OP, my collarfuzz is tingling. Any idea on the sort of length you might be looking at for a game like this? A one-shot could probably get away with anywhere from Marvel Heroic to a simple 1d6-2d6-3d6 setup, while something more lengthy and campaign-like may deserve actual stats or the like.

Personally, I've a preference for Marvel, bastardized all to hell, but that's me.
>>
>>43548368
Red Rover Charlie a much better for the post apoc shenanigans
>>
>>43548413
It would take more creative GMing anyways. You'd need something other than a novel setting and mechanics to keep it going for more than a oneshot. Maybe some kind of cat society, with agendas and factions.

I guess it seems more natural with mice or rats because they congregate in big groups (and of course there's templates like Redwall or Story of NIMH).

>>43551973
>He doesn't know Bunnies and Burrows was around back when "hipster" only referred to guys who didn't cut their hair
Fucking casuals, what will they say next
>>
>>43548112
Tokyo Jungle
>>
File: 1444246730684.jpg (66 KB, 500x644) Image search: [Google]
1444246730684.jpg
66 KB, 500x644
I could see it being pretty fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I1_5mSXinQ
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.