[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exalted General - /exg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: 1445628660280.jpg (548 KB, 528x1416) Image search: [Google]
1445628660280.jpg
548 KB, 528x1416
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Backer Core https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByD2BL6J89Nick41YUk0RUt3YlU
>Online charsheet:
http://howsfamily.net/Exalted
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

Why do all the Sidereal deserve to die?
>>
>>43545962

-Solar: Dex 5 + Melee 5 + Speciality + Small Artifact weapon + Excellency 2m + Excellent Strike 3m gives average ((18*5/9) + 1) = 11 successes for 5 motes.

-Sidereal: Dex 5 + Melee 5 + Speciality + Small Artifact Weapon + Excellency 2m + Target Number 4 gives average (18*8/10) = 14.4 successes for 5 motes spent.

That's why.

God, such a basic math error and it ruins the entire game's balance before it's even released.
>>
>>43546010
>Target Number 4
What
>>
>>43546010
>Target Number 4
But, what?
What, so Sids don't roll for 7, they roll for 4?
>>
>>43546176
>>43546237
Siddie excellency reduces the target number instead of adding dice
>>
>>43546176
>The Sidereal Exalted can only add (Essence) dice to a roll with their Excellencies, honing their Essence through spiritual cultivation. However, though they usually cannot match the sheer might of other Celestial Exalted, they have fate on their side. In addition to adding dice, a Sidereal can reduce the target number of an action (the number that a die must come up to count as a success) at a cost of one mote per point of reduction. The lowest a target number can be brought is 4. Thus, an Essence 1 Sidereal might spend one mote to add a single die and three motes to reduce the target number to 4, letting him count every die that comes up 4 or higher as a success.

>TLDR: letting him count every die that comes up 4 or higher as a success.
>>
>>43546176
pg 548, it's the Sidereal compensation for their lower excellency cap

>>43546237
You'd be absolutely insane not to spend 3m to drop your success difficulty to 4.

>>43546255
Worse. They get to do it both ways. They can add (Essence) dice at 1m per AND always drop TN to 4 for 3m.

Edition over. Sidereals win.
>>
File: whatthefuuck.png (520 KB, 663x1025) Image search: [Google]
whatthefuuck.png
520 KB, 663x1025
>>43546271
>>43546258
>>
Somebody with a backer link better get this one out to the devs before the 11th. And post it on OPP as well.
>>
>>43546271
>They get to do it both ways

Giggidy
>>
So how good is White Reaper Style?
>>
>>43546452
VS A Dude: Okay.
Vs A big-ass Group-a-Dudes: Damn good.
>>
>>43546010
We don't know how Sid's charmset will look. It can be very well that their Excellency is one of the very few succs generator. Or they made it so good just for Quick Characters because without Astrology and Sidereal Martial Arts Sids are weaker than other Exalted. Either way, didn't Sids Excellency work very similiar in previous editions?
>>
File: fucksgiven.gif (2 MB, 320x178) Image search: [Google]
fucksgiven.gif
2 MB, 320x178
>>43546331
>>
>>43546452
Amazing against battlegroups, mediocre in heads up battles.
>>
>>43546475
Still, it's a point that should be mentioned.
>>
>>43546475
one of the devs did say they viewed the restricted charm tree of the sids as a key part of them so keep that in mind.
>>
File: 1402633803573.jpg (58 KB, 736x940) Image search: [Google]
1402633803573.jpg
58 KB, 736x940
>>43546475
>Either way, didn't Sids Excellency work very similiar in previous editions?
Nobody knows. Sidereals weren't playable in previous editions.

The immediate cause for concern is that this is how Sidereal antagonists work, meaning a Sidereal antagonist is pretty much guaranteed to win against a PC Solar. That's a problem. It's hardly the only antagonist-related problem, but it's a pretty stark one.

>We don't know how Sid's charmset will look. It can be very well that their Excellency is one of the very few succs generator.
That's a lot of wishful thinking to saddle yourself with when it comes to Holden, Morke, and Rich.

But your optimism is cute.
>>
>>43545962
because they are the one of the main culprits for creation being as fucked as it is. And by design the ones in charge are arrogant assholes.
>>
>>43546591
>to win against a PC Solar who invests in literally nothing but his Excellency

You're SUPPOSED to lose if you rely completely on your Excellency, you joke. That's why there's 700 other Charms, all of which will kick the shit out of the Sidereal versions.
>>
>>43546737
yeah from around 30 games of exp relying on your excellency is a good way to run out of motes fast without doing much.
>>
File: 3oea3s.jpg (21 KB, 285x285) Image search: [Google]
3oea3s.jpg
21 KB, 285x285
>>43546737
>>43546766
You're not doing a good job of making this sound better. If Sidereals can be MORE mote efficient with their excellencies and presumably still have functional Charmsets (clearly debatable) then they will probably still smash Solars.

But this is dodging the point: right now a Sidereal antagonist is a real and significant threat to mote-tap a Solar PC by doing nothing more than using their excellencies. They should have 4 other antagonist Charms that will be significant problems for a Solar PC as well.

It's a problem, no matter how you slice it.
>>
>>43546319
The siderials always had the shittiest excellency in 2e. Their only compensation was that they counted a success as one die towards their cap, and they had an excellency charm that reduced the TN for a roll.

In 3e that's now a native feature of the excellency. Just like how Lunars can stunt to increase theirs from (Attribute) to (Attribute+Second Stunt Appropriate Attribute).

The Solars and Abyssals get more dice. The others get neat dice tricks or conditional dice boosts.
>>
>>43546889
>If Sidereals can be MORE mote efficient with their excellencies and presumably still have functional Charmsets (clearly debatable) then they will probably still smash Solars.
Or, y'know, their Charmset is toned the fuck down, and virtually bereft of the dice tricks that Solars use to sneak past THEIR dicecap, meaning that the net result is in favor of the Solar.

>But this is dodging the point: right now a Sidereal antagonist is a real and significant threat to mote-tap a Solar PC by doing nothing more than using their excellencies.
I guarantee you any Essence 3 Solar with even a reasonable amount of combat investment (ie Essence 3 Charms of their own) will destroy the Sidereal antagonist in a one-on-one fight. A Dawn will rip them to shreds.

The only people who are "really and significantly" threatened by the Sidereal using nothing but his Excellency are people who only have an Excellency themselves: people who are SUPPOSED to lose fights. Like, you do remember that this is an assassin, right?

>It's a problem, no matter how you slice it.
Yes, it is, in your brain.
>>
While we're on the topic of Excellencies, does anyone else get the feeling that they kind of mess with the difficulty curve presented by the rest of the book?

I get that they're necessary to deal with superhuman opponents and also do a good job of allowing players to express their might through exertion. But I kind of wonder if some assumption-tinkering is in order.
>>
>>43546958
>Or, y'know, their Charmset is toned the fuck down, and virtually bereft of the dice tricks that Solars use to sneak past THEIR dicecap, meaning that the net result is in favor of the Solar.
15 dice at TN 4 will always be a better proposition than 21-29 dice at TN 7.
>>
>>43546993
No... it really isn't its actually what allows my players to get by more often than not. the way they work now seems to be reasonable.
>>
>>43547019

15 TN4 starts losing to 20 TN7 the moment you have Excellent strike, let alone anything else.
>>
>>43547116
yeah that charm and the ones like it are kinda important to figure.
>>
>>43547116
>>43547127

The other point is THIS DOESN'T APPLY TO DEFENSE.

Sidereal Excellency is scary on the swing, but it can't do shit for dick for their parry.

Hit a Sidereal hard with a big number and they drop like a rock.
>>
File: ryougi_void.jpg (77 KB, 960x660) Image search: [Google]
ryougi_void.jpg
77 KB, 960x660
>>43545962
I keep seeing that pic posted in these threads and I always mean to ask: Is the snek in the Nasuversion supposed to be Shiki?
>>
>>43547019
It's not about more dice, it's about double Xs, cascading rerolls, ignoring 1s etc. Sids are supposed to get cheap, reiiable results out of their dice because they can use Fate to make things go their way. Solars are about perfection and excellence so when they hit, they hit BIG. But for that to be balanced Sidereal charmset should be designed very carefully. I imagine it would rely on Excellency for generating successes while most charms would be broad and usefull, no "get double 9s on investigation rolls" Solars get.
>>
>>43547181
What if they always delay to clash?
>>
>>43547290
then they lose 1 int for the dely. and they get destroyed by this

>>43547252

and wrecked in the face.
>>
>>43547290

Then you can still win, see: >>43547116

Alternatively: throw a flurry at them and fucking destroy them.

Alternatively still: Bring your own counterattacks to bear.

Yet moreso: If you can repeatedly get them to blow their entire turn clashing just you, even your MORTAL allies are going to rip them apart.
>>
>>43547223
Huh.
Could be.
>>
>>43547019
TN 4 is 0.8 successes per die (double 10s is standard), what means 15 dice generate 12 successes on average.
TN 7 is 0.5 (double 10s), so while 21 dice would generate 10.5 successes, 24d would be equal at 12 and 29 dice would net 14.5 successes on average.

Now not only that, but every extra number you double is effectively the same as lowering the TN by one. A non-success elimination, such as rerolling all 6 until they don't apear anymore effectively lowers the TN by 0.5, too.
So if you are rolling at double 9s and rerolling all 5&6s until they dont appear anymore you have a 0.7 successes per dice average - close enough that your 10 extra dice start making a helluva difference.
>>
>>43547252
Besides I checked and Sids can get (Essence) dice to their rolls. Essence. That means the TN reducing part is the only saving grace.
>>
> thinking excellencies will decide a battle

Stop white room theorizing, faggots and actually play a game with someone not your blow up waifu.
>>
>>43547563
I have... that's why I'm commenting on it.
>>
>>43546591
>Nobody knows. Sidereals weren't playable in previous editions.

>I never actually looked at the previous editions at all
They literally have books for playing them, and they have excellencies that do the same thing.
>>
>not realizing this would get people to report it as a problem, meaning it would need changing or face accusations of unresponsiveness

It's like you forget how to spot trolling when you come into /exg/
>>
There's also the fact that, while Solars already have a hella expansive and versatile charmset, they can make MORE.

Sids, on the other hand, will likely be stuck with a smaller charmset overall, and they're locked into that charmset by the Maidens; this is why Sidereal Martial Arts exist, it's the only way for Sids to make new charms.
>>
>>43547748

And they are the worst at evocations

BUT astrology is gonna be easier and they did mention sids may be getting an entirely new power if i remember right.
>>
>>43546889
It's almost like this is a game involving challenges intended for group play or something.
>>
File: ScroogeFirst.jpg (16 KB, 174x210) Image search: [Google]
ScroogeFirst.jpg
16 KB, 174x210
So... continuing off an idea I liked from the last thread, how far could I go with a tribe of duck beastfolk before the rest of the table realizes I'm just copying the cast of Ducktales?
>>
>>43547866
prob pretty far actually. unless you give pics. I'm doing that now.
>>
>>43547866
Glorantha manage to go for decades.
>>
>>43547866
I doubt anyone would notice until you started playing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHEifuLCSIY
>>
>>43547866
Scrooge is a bad man

https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1447028345444.webm
>>
>>43547976
Jesus Christ, now i'm having flashbacks to that damned game with the treasure collecting and the inexplicably bouncy walking cane. Played that thing on my dad's NES back in the late 90s and early 2000s.
>>
>>43548232
>late 90s and early 2000s
How horrifying for you.

I got it in 1989 and remember the overwhelming relief of finally finishing the game so I could go back to sleeping at home.
>>
>>43545962

Because the kicked my tyrant lizard!

They just walked into my city and kicked my tyrant lizard!
>>
How feasible is a Dawn Caste with Supernal Resistance, focused on Brawl, Athletics & Dodge?
>>
>>43548428

Offense is more important in 3e. But even with brawl ess 1 you can do some damn good damage while never dying.

I'd use some dodge early on to help with initative though
>>
>>43548428
I'm making one kinda similar, could easily work.Aside from the dodge i have a zenith in my party doing that.
>>
>>43548428

Very; make a bee-line for Iron Kettle Body and Essence-Gathering Temper. Brawl and Athletics are buttbuddies like crazy. Dodge'll be your backup/trickle-init.
>>
>>43548562
>>43548563
>>43548576
K, thnx. I'm wanting to make a guy who is a Fighter, not a martial artist. He wins battles simply by being tougher and meaner than the other guy.
>>
Why is it so hard to find exalted groups?

Will more people want to run it when it's available to everyone?
>>
>>43549258
Hopefully. im running a game right now. i think the issue is without other books like dragon blood ITS A PAIN TO GM. since you gotta make up 90% of the charms yourself for NPCs
>>
>>43549306

This. My issue though is that i know games. Problems is I'm on call so schedules are terrible for me. Sometimes free the same day for three weeks, other times I'm busy for three of them.

I also want to play, not run ATM.
>>
File: Xuqj3DL.jpg (91 KB, 846x846) Image search: [Google]
Xuqj3DL.jpg
91 KB, 846x846
>>43547866
Mix your muses.
>>
>>43549306
I also kind of want to play dragonbloods when they are released.

I just really like exalted and want to play it all the time.
>>
>>43549258
>Why is it so hard to find exalted groups?
I run it, but I wouldn't run it with a bunch of randoms. I just wouldn't feel comfortable running it with people I don't know well enough to gauge how they'll react to things.

>>43549258
>Will more people want to run it when it's available to everyone?
Probably not. The audience is about as large as it is. The new edition clearly isn't tailored for bringing in new players.

The only uptick will be when fan favorite splats are released (if they are released) and those fans decide to give them a whirl.
>>
>>43548711

If you want to be meaner, presense is your friend
>>
>>43549466

People will make sidereals and lunars.

Trust me.
>>
>>43549466
I just wish my old ST hadn't gone crazy and alienated himself from the group.

So we could force him to run a game.
>>
>>43549258
>>43549306
This is just my experience running in 1e, 2e. and just a couple of 3e one-shots with the leak, but:

1) Finding players is easy. Finding good players takes some work sorting and filtering and reading applications. Finding great players who can make interesting characters, whose schedules all align enough to have a consistent gameday is tough. But this is true for every RPG, and in real life as well.

2) Exalted is not a lightweight or easy to learn game compared to the rest of the field. I can teach my non-RPG player friends how to play Actual Cannibal Shia LaBeouf in two minutes. I can't even explain Exalted's premise in that time, much less any dice or game mechanics.

3) Exalted players are a pain in the ass compared to other systems. A lot of them will have a 100% laid out or pre-generated charater in mind and refuse to deviate in order to fit into a Circle (probably because there are so few Exalted games that they spend a lot of time thinking of what characters they would play given the chance). A lot of them are pretty big on the rules lawyering and getting caught up on technicalities instead of letting the game get on and accepting GM rulings. Not saying that other systems don't have these kinds of problem players, but I notice it more when I recruited for Exalted games than I did with D&D, Dark Heresy, or WoD games. I honestly figured Exalted players would be more keen to be go-with-the-flow narrative types than D&D or Dark Heresy players.

4) Weird (often magical realmy) stuff. I just don't let players play Lunars and Infernals anymore (especially Lunars). People who play Lunars are fine. The "I only play Lunars" / Lunar-fanboy type are really weird, on average.

tl;dr: I run Exalted alot, but I only invite people I've played with before. Occasionally if the game doesn't fill up I recruit with friends-of-friends who have been vetted by them. Recruit random people on the Internet is a total crapshoot, so I don't.
>>
>>43549750
>A lot of them will have a 100% laid out or pre-generated charater in mind and refuse to deviate in order to fit into a Circle

How awful, I at least tried to come up with a bare bones concept for each caste, just so I wouldn't be stepping on any toes.

>The "I only play Lunars" / Lunar-fanboy type are really weird, on average.

>surprised that the closest thing to a furry exalt type has weird fans
>>
>>43549750
>3

That is a weird one. I've played Exalted a fair number of times, but rules lawyer is not something you should be doing in Exalted. Players being individual as hell though I agree with. It's kinda rare to get a group who has any synergy that works well.

>4

Yeaaaaah, magical realm seems to happen a lot in Exalted. I still find it weird that some people have complain about all the exalted they played in were ERP.
>>
>>43549830
> surprised that the closest thing to a furry exalt type has weird fans

Hey, I play mostly in real life where people at least keep their weirdness and sexual preferences in the closet. I don't think it's really that big of an ask whether in real life or on the web.
>>
>>43548381
>>43548232
It's on Steam now.
>>
>>43549750
>A lot of them will have a 100% laid out or pre-generated charater in mind and refuse to deviate in order to fit into a Circle

Really? The members of our group who are really into Exalted (me included) have seven or eight characters statted up. We tend to fill the gaps in our Circle after the rest of the players make their characters, just by pulling out the most appropriate sheet for the occassion.
>>
>>43550179
There's two types of player responses to not playing a game they want to play for some time

The first is to make as many concepts as possible as you daydream about the games you won't play

The second is to really focus on making one really good concept that you fell in love with so much that you MUST play it.
>>
>>43546010
God forbid Sidereals not be absolute shit anymore!
>>
Seeing how the book pletty actively says that npcs and experience dont match, what does this mean for the Lore teaching charms? Are they only to be used with pcs or is this a special case?
>>
>>43550724
PCs. Though you could use it to justify training NPCs; e.g., "After we cure the outbreak, I set about teaching the locals all the diagnostic techniques I know; since I have this Charm can I do it quickly?" "Yes. Moving on..."
>>
>>43550724

If the NPC's a QC, I'd still use XP as a rough measure of how much you teach them; giving someone 5XP in Lore might give them a couple extra dice if they're a novice, while dumping 20XP into them will make them crazy-good.

If they have actual stats, I'd go with that.
>>
>>43550784
>>43550803
The idea was for my Twilight to teach some mortal cultists of his to become sorcerers so he can build a communications relay system in the area we hang around. ~12exp to train em seems a bit high price, seeing how with 8exp and a working I could do much more impressive things. Especially seeing how the wording on the charms kinda specifically point towards usage on player chracters only.
>>
>>43551392
And also the War and Sail training charms are just basically "you teach dem npc fools, they awesome now"
>>
>>43550507
They are really just much more consistent, Solar dice tricks can make them explode into ridiculous amounts of successes.
>>
>>43551392

You could get a communications relay with a working, but what you're getting out of this is a communications relay + a bunch of trained sorcerers, which is considerably more flexible.

From the text, it seems like the devs expect every recurring NPC to get a full stat write-up, not a QC one: "We recommend that QCs be used for unimportant characters who aren’t intended to stick around for long or who
play unimportant roles—minions, merchants met on the road, nameless bandits, demon bodyguards, even Exalts who pass briefly through the story and are never seen again."

I'd say the devs expect anyone you're character is permanently improving to have full stats. I think this is a bad idea, and that it would be much better if the training charms were modified to work with QCs too, but I don't think you can assume that because something was written with a full-writeup in mind, it was intended to be PC-only.
>>
>>43551392
Late 2e had basically every discussion devolve into "buy these Charms, turn your village into ubermensch". Once turning random peasants into master sorcerers and kung-fu champions became a repeatable formula, there was zero reason not to do it, and in turn that severely devalued the impact of Exalted, especially Dragon-Blooded - in a group of Essence 3 Golden Janissaries, your starting Fire Aspect is not so hot.

So Ex3 takes the mass-training Charms out back behind the chemical shed and shoots them. If you want to uplift a mortal into power that shakes the thrones of petty kingdoms, you need to put real effort into it, starting with a name, narrative weight, and a character sheet.
>>
>>43552101
>starting with [...] narrative weight
Why can't I be the wise mentor to the farm boy?
>>
>>43552170

You can be.

He just has to actually be THE farm boy in your story. Not "a" farmboy, and certainly not farmboy #1333 of your Sixth Sorcerous Legion of Fungible Mortals.
>>
>>43552240
>not choosing random farm boys to mentor, then faking your own death to send them out on bizarre quests
>>
>>43552297
Speaking of just training up NPCs, what do people think of Half bloods? Namely half castes
>>
>>43552366

Love Xbloods. Lots of fun.

I think half-castes are stupid on principle, and reek of people seeing DBs/Lunars getting a toy that they didn't and whinging hard until they got it for themselves.

But so long as they're stuck to spirit charms like all the other Xbloods, I can tolerate half-castes existing.
>>
>>43552366

Agree with >>43552427

Godbloods, Ghostbloods, Beastmen, etc are cool. Half-castes are thematically stupid.
>>
>>43543254

>Fairy nuff, and Monsoon? I know he'd be a Moonsilver Alchemical, but I'm not sure how you'd emulate his 'full-body-disassembly' thing myself.

Shattered Vase Armour, Infernals.

Fix so it isn't broken.
>>
>>43552366
They should never have been introduced to the game line, and I hope they never show up in 3e.

If you want to play 'heir to power', you play a Dragon-Blood. Other Exalts run with different themes. The presence of Half-Castes also mucks with the downsides of being a glorious golden ruler - are your children ever going to get tired of your eternal rule, like a gang of Prince Charles to your ever-glowing Queen Elizabeth? What do they do about it? Strike out on their own, demand independence, try to assassinate their parent?

And then you get into the creepy stuff, like rape camps designed to churn out endless legions of Half-Castes to feed the war machine, because if Ma-Ha-Suchi's 2e portrayal needed something, it was the fedora'ed one at the table piping up that MHS should be raping all those women personally for best results.
>>
>>43552366
I think people have the idea that since Celestials are awesome, their offspring should have a genetic shot at that awesome. Thing is, Celestials are awesome because of who they are, not who their ancestors were. Their children aren't heirs to that by birthright. They've gotta earn that for themselves.

Honestly, I'd rather see children of Celestials just be more likely to manifest Dragonblooded aspects. Not as much as a well-bred dynast, but more than your average mortal schmuck. That should be enough.

Spirit half-breeds are cool, though. Demons, corrupt gods, ghosts, fairies, splice that shit into the mortal bloodlines and have a fucking party.
>>
>>43552528
>MHS should be raping all those women personally for best results.
He really should, but it's a question of efficiency. A somewhat lower quality for massively improved production rates? I'll take it.
>>
>>43552522
Defiler with Shattered Vase Armor(And Adorjan favored, or Scourge with SWLiHN favored.)*

I actually had him statted up in Anathema, at one point. Never got to use him in anything, though.
>>
>>43552563
>>43552528

I think i recall several instances and stories of camps like that actually happening in some games.
>>
>>43552624

I statted him up for a Gremlin oneshot NPC for my Alchemical game.
>>
>>43549466
>I run it, but I wouldn't run it with a bunch of randoms. I just wouldn't feel comfortable running it with people I don't know well enough to gauge how they'll react to things.

This desu

My meatspace group broke up because people got jobs in other cities or got married etc. And I really wanna play 3e. But I'm hesitant to do so with randos on the internet. Especially since Exalted by the nature of its influences (both animu and epic mythology) can go really magical realm really fast.

Plus my old group had enough cohesion and trust that we made some*questionable* plot hooks in 2.5e into some decent adventures by not being grognards about it
>>
>>43553177

As someone who's desperate, I'll say a few things:

- It's hard at times. Apparently people come with horror stories all the time, and while I had shit players before, a lot of my Exalted games have been fairly well done before online.

- Flakes, fucking flakes. Holy shit.
>>
So, to get the ball rolling another thought hmm thoughts on that weirdly named exalt type related to sids?
>>
>>43553640

Getimians?

I think they're nice, but I also hope they aren't "right." Right enough to be a viable position and an argument you can formulate, but ultimately Getimians and Rakan should be an essay on why Fate/the Loom is necessary and good.

The last thing the fanbase needs is yet another fucking thing tossed on the pile of "LOL FATE MORE LIKE OPPRESSOR'S TOOL DON'T EVEN NEED THAT SHIT DAWG WHAT ARE SIDREALS EVEN GOOD FOR SMDH" especially given the already-present Western bias for "defying fate."
>>
>>43553777
from what i gathered getimains are prob gonna exalt under the condition of "those screwed over by fate"
>>
>>43547223
its tohsaka's dad.
>>
>>43553777
>>43553821
They're explicitly people who Fate says shouldn't exist. The prince of a kingdom that no longer exists, a woman that the rest of the world knows to be dead because they've seen the body, a man whose own wife and children no longer know his name because, according to Fate, he died five months ago.
>>
>>43553912
ah so glitches.
>>
>>43553177
At this point I'll play with anyone. I've made some animu characters in the past, but I generally try to make characters that fit with the party.
>>
>>43553939
how much ahte is there for animu characters, here on TG i mean?
>>
>>43554790

So long as it isn't FUCKING Fate/Stay Night, /exg/ is generally pretty receptive.
>>
>>43554830
ok why is that hated...
>>
Okay /exg/, I got my email for the custom charm tier. Where's some holes in the charmset that I can fill?

Right now I'm looking at unarmored soak, or something to make investigation, medicine or linguistics more interesting.
>>
>>43554957
A prayer charm for performance.
>>
So based on the comments herein it sounds like if I make a Roll20 game for Ex3 with 5 slots I'll get 50 applicants, 49 of which will be insane?
>>
>>43554994
yup... im tempted to do that when i have time :)
>>
>>43554957
a high essence war charm.
>>
What kind of charms should a fae-blooded thief/rogue get that's all about hamming it up and unnecessarily complicated plans?

Like, general powerlevel and stuff.
>>
>>43554974
This
>>43555021
As people have already said in this thread, War doesn't really need any higher essence charms. It already does REALLY well with what it's got at essence 3.
>>
>>43555049
I know it does well already, but I'm curious how much better it can do at E5.
But it's his decision, of course.
>>
>>43554957
Pick any ability that caps at E3 and ask for a real capstone charm.
>>
>>43555021
What should the high-essence war charm do? I'd rather be specific rather than let the devs come up with whatever they want, just in case.
>>
File: Nara O is gonna be mad.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Nara O is gonna be mad.gif
3 MB, 320x240
>>43554974
Pepsi Abandon's the Dark Messiah's Mother Attitude?
>>
>>43555107
well, you could further buff a battlegroup, get reflexive order actions so you can fight while ordering your BG, or enable some more tactics shenanigans with letting you reposition your troops or something.
>>
>>43554957
Just so you guys know what I'm thinking so far.

1: Better (or a least more consistant) unarmored soak. Maybe something that lets you develop evocations for your skin that gets turned off in some instance

2: Poison-making charm for Medicine.

3: 'cartooning' linguistics charm that lets you affect the illiterate

>>43555127
I like your idea of reflexive order actions. Well worth considering!
>>
>>43555201

Reflexive ordering sounds neat.

I'd say a duel wielding melee charm, but I think someone may already be asking that.
>>
>>43552528
>2e MHS

You know that someone fucked up when they managed to make something from 1e Lunars worse than it was before.
>>
>>43555348
I'm sure 3e will give us a much more nuanced version of-

Whats that? The Ink Monkey expanded fluff on MHS's rape camp was preceded by a "man this fluff that was cut for space from MoTD: The East is so neat we had to publish it here" note from Holden himself?

Okay then
>>
File: Kejak.jpg (81 KB, 600x420) Image search: [Google]
Kejak.jpg
81 KB, 600x420
Guys... unpopular opinion coming through.

Evocations: WTF?

Is it me, or are the rules for creating Evocations really half-assed? Also, pretty much feels like random system bloat.

So maybe I'm missing something there. Maybe they ARE cool and I'm just not grokking that shit.

Also, the "generic" artifact weapons listed, are those assumed to be made with just enough random magical material now to not do anything, or does literally every fucking daiklaive have to rely on fucking evocations now?
>>
>>43555835
All artifact weapons and armour have evocations. If you don't want to go to the trouble of writing them, don't buy any.
>>
>>43555863
Fucking hell. Not buying them would be a great option if I were a player, though it would definitely leave the Dawn caste herpin' and derpin' comparatively.

But being the ST, I have no fucking choice. Seriously, they seem half-assed and convoluted, and there's not enough of them to really grok an overall feel for their design or how they branch out.

Goddamn, I hate evocations.
>>
>>43555906
Wait for Arms of the Chosen. It's going to be pretty much nothing but evocations.
>>
>>43554957
>Where's some holes in the charmset that I can fill?

I'm backing the "Ess 5 War Charm" idea.

>>43555107
>What should the high-essence war charm do?

Chain off Supremacy of the Divine Army. Have it give an (Ess) bonus to Might.

Have it burn anima levels to grant a unit of equivalent size (so glowing -> dim = Size 1) made of golden silhouettes.

Chain it off Battle-Visionary's Foresight and have it increase the penalties/bonuses of stratagems other than Ambush, because Ambush is bonkers good relative to everything else.

>>43554994
>I'll get 50 applicants, 49 of which will be insane?

Nutcase checking in, will definitely apply, throw tantrums, then flake.

>>43555690
>I'm sure 3e will give us a much more nuanced version of-

To be fair, the 3e MHS does seem to be moving away from that idea.
>>
>>43555920
Great. A whole book of suck.

At least I'll have a better feel for it then, I suppose. I'll try to keep my players a bit light on the artifacty side of shit until then.

Running this game without a DB book at VERY least and an artifacts book is really beginning to be a motherfucker.
>>
>>43555948
Maybe we'll have Abyssals by the time I'm fucking 40.
>>
File: 1422044313133.gif (478 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1422044313133.gif
478 KB, 500x375
>>43555963
>40
>>
>>43555948
Have you ever made a custom artifact in a previous edition? If so, do exactly the same thing but make the effects charm-level powers instead of minor freebies/incredibly overpowered major freebies. If not, continue using the sample artifacts and not bothering to homebrew stuff.
>>
>>43555835

For me I treat evocations like Yozi charms.

Make by theme.

Also you're an ST. If you don't want evocations, just say "No evocations" and be done with it.
>>
>>43555906
>though it would definitely leave the Dawn caste herpin' and derpin' comparatively.

No, it wouldn't. Having a Supernal combat ability is fantastic, and the Dawn anima powers are actually quite good this time around. Not having Evocations just means your Dawn invests in MA, sorcery, Merits, Abilities, Attributes. Evocations aren't a required part of a Dawn build.

>But being the ST, I have no fucking choice.

Yeah you do, grow a fucking pair. Start with: if your Dawn wants Evocations, s/he has to design them and then you get to approve, reject, or edit as chosen. Compare it to Ess 1 Charms in Martial Arts or other Dawn Abilities as a ballpark measure, and post it online for feedback if you're still indecisive.
>>
>>43555981
Eh, I'm not sure it'd be that easy. Evocations are nominally a big part of the Solars and Dragonbloodeds suite of things that are their specific specialties now. Granted, they never existed in past editions. But if he just goes and cuts out something that's supposed to be important to both of the most important Exalt types, even as ST he might have a player mutiny on his hands.

Unless his players don't give two shits about Evocations themselves.

>>43555995
This sounds a lot less troublesome than making up shit yourself. Just post them here and I'm sure someone will be around in thread to tell you why your Dawn's ideas are all 100% gamebreaking bullshit.
>>
>>43555981
Ass-fucking my players because I'm grumpy about something that they may very well find to be awesome isn't my bag. I'd rather suck it up and bitch about it later anonymously.

>>43555977
I'm probs going to spend some time pouring over the existing Evocations. I just realized that Hearth Stones work on those too. Ugh. At least it opens my options a bit. If a player spends XP on an Evocation (another stupid idea), do they lose that XP if they lose the item they invested in?

>>43555995
But making a classic Melee Brand Melee Dawn would suffer from their absence. Kinda shooting the "OH GOD, IT'S A SOLAR WITH A DAIKLAIVE, SHIT PANTS AND RUN!" effect.

>if your Dawn wants Evocations, s/he has to design them and then you get to approve, reject, or edit as chosen
Complete novice players though. Never seen the system, having to learn the setting, etc. I'll have to do it my damned self. And you're right, I have to grow a pair about it. For my players, I'll fucking do it. I just don't have to pretend to like it (except to them)

"Yeah, Anon! That Daiklaive is cool as fuck!"
I secretly hate you for making me do this.
>>
>>43556062
>If a player spends XP on an Evocation (another stupid idea), do they lose that XP if they lose the item they invested in?

Nah, it's refunded at the end of the Story.
>>
>>43556075
Well thank fuck for that. Seems this edition requires some serious efforts at keeping track of XP.
>>
>>43556091
There is always the dream that Anathema 3e is basically complete and only waiting for OPP to give permission to make it public.

It's only a dream, of course. In all probability the entire team has disappeared into a void zone and will never be heard from again.
>>
>>43556062
>Kinda shooting the "OH GOD, IT'S A SOLAR WITH A DAIKLAIVE, SHIT PANTS AND RUN!" effect.

Without Evocations, it's still a terrifying killstick in the hands of a superhuman master.

>If a player spends XP on an Evocation (another stupid idea), do they lose that XP if they lose the item they invested in?

Some things get refunds, some don't. I don't know that it says Evocations get refunds, but it does say that for Workings, and I would happily houserule that in.
>>
>>43556062
Also, since we're on the topic of artifacts and such, one of my players wants a cask of rum that never runs out.

I had an idea for this that came from 2e thinking. Namely that some asshat Sidereal decided to make such a cask using the Office Space Theorum*. Basically, the cask aggregates a few ounces of each cask of the most profitable rum producers in the West until it's full.

Also thinking maybe just a cask that has green jade bands, instead of iron that produce the rum.

Either way, Artifact two sound good? Any special systems I should apply to this abortion? It's definitely a flavor artifact, so I don't wanna fuck the player too hard on it.

>>43556136
They're still doing something last I checked. Just slowly, as they're not getting paid. By choice.

*Get it? Theo-RUM?
>>
>>43556144
I didn't catch that for Evocations (as I am neither an ST nor all that attached to my swords), but I did see that clause in Workings. I think the basic idea is that if you put XP into something that the story can screw you out of, you get the XP refunded after you lose it.

Innate shit not so much. You shouldn't be able to lose innate shit unless the Deep Wyld turns you into a kitten.
>>
>>43556039
Homebrewing Evocations isn't that difficult. Just take what we've already got and refluff them.

Beloved Adorei works for pretty much any sort of intelligent blade, of Orichalcum or Soulsteel. An axe of Orichalcum with a Viking-esque battlehungry personality, a blade of Soulsteel that's cursed with bloodlust like a Muramasa sword, a sad Soulsteel blade that shows its wielders the futility of war and how we're all the same; they can all be represented with Beloved Adorei's Evocations.

Moonlit Huntress's Evocations work for pretty much any Moonsilver weapon; just change the 15 Initiative effect for non-ranged weapons, maybe.

Shining Ice Mirror works for almost any Jade sword other than Red, entangling them in their relevant element.

Spring Razor works for almost any Green Jade poison-based weapon, or for a Soulsteel weapon that inflicts the entropic decay of the Void on its enemies.

Orichalcum Hunting Hawk's evocations work for almost any Orichalcum or Blue Jade ranged weapon.

Black Wind works for almost any Soulsteel edged weapon; you'd just need to change the last Evocation for non-ranged weapons.

Volcano Cutter works for a powerful elemental weapon that creates zones of elemental energy; Green Jade weapons that create thickets of entangling razor vines; Blue Jade weapons that create flurries of ice or electrical storms; Orichalcum weapons that create miniature suns or Soulsteel weapons that create pits of the Void's entropic energies.
>>
My GM is a kek and refuses to play 3E because he doesn't want to translate the splats and shit like that.
Tell me some quickfix to 2E dex defense problem because I don't want to fucking mandatory put point in dex just not to fucking die.
>>
>>43556557
There is no quickfix to 2e. The whole system is fucked on a fundamental level.
>>
>>43556562
My GM is looking over my shoulder and saying shit like
>Hurrrr 2E is fine /tg/ is just being /tg/
can you just list down objective facts to why 2E is shit
>>
>>43556582
I couldn't even begin to. Every mechanic just layers more terrible on top of the existing layers of terrible. Combat is incredibly slow, clunky, way too lethal and generally imbalanced as shit and that's before you even get charms involved, and the other subsystems somehow manage to be even worse.
>>
>>43556582
Saying that 2e is shit is not a /tg/ thing. Every single website on the internet that knows what Exalted is will tell you that 2e is shit. It's a universally accepted fact.
>>
>>43556618
Hell, even the current Exalted devs say that 2e was shit, and they were the people who wrote half of it. There's a reason they've spent the last two years writing 3e, rather than cranking out more 2e splatbooks.
>>
>>43556604
>slow
>too lethal
nigger, wut.
>>
>>43556656
You'll die in a single flurry with no chance to do anything about it, but that single flurry takes half an hour to resolve.
>>
>>43556661
>but that single flurry takes half an hour to resolve
mmm no. shit takes like maybe 2 minutes.
>>
>>43556604
>>43556618
Okay, he still refuses to play 3E because he is lazy
Please tell me at least some way to homerule it so that dex isn't such a fucking bitch because I want to be a berserk strong character
>>
>>43556693
Allow Strength + (Ability) for attack rolls with melee weapons and Stamina + (Ability) for parry.
>>
>>43554957
See >>43554974

>>43556173
Artifact 2, spend a mote to refill slowly (10 minutes), or 3 to refill instantly.

>>43556557
Dex being king is not the big problem. Fuckhueg flurries and perfect defenses are.
>>
I know it's probably been covered a million fucking times before, but are Brawl charms compatible with Martial Arts charms as long as you're unarmed?
>>
>>43549750
>2)
This is one of the big hurdles. I barely have time to learn this shit for myself. Luckily one of my players is into systems testing so we can do shakedowns of how things work before we actually run it. With most games, we dive in and do that shit on the fly. With Exalted, you can't. You really need to do it before you start playing because it's intensely complicated.

>3)
Oh my yes. I averted this this time around by telling everyone six months ago I intended to run a West campaign, so everyone was brainstorming West-appropriate characters.

>4)
I have to know you before I'm going to let you play anything but a Solar or DB. Sorry, that's just how it is. I say this as someone who played a Lunar in a 3 year campaign: most of the Lunars I've seen/heard about on the internet I wouldn't want in my group.

>rules lawyer is not something you should be doing in Exalted.
Our rule is no arguing mechanics at the table. You have a problem, jot it down, bring it up after the session. This is A VERY IMPORTANT RULE WITH EXALTED otherwise you'll never get anywhere.

>>43549506
>People will make sidereals and lunars.
I have little doubt.
>>
>>43556864
Not on the same attack, nor on the same defense.
>>
>>43546010
oh no the Solar is no match for someone who can raise their defense by *two whole points* and will probably once again lock themselves out of their best charms by wearing armor
>>
File: Warstriders.png (859 KB, 595x486) Image search: [Google]
Warstriders.png
859 KB, 595x486
Why aren't playing a hardmode campaign in the Blessed Isle, /exg/?
What would you put there? Monasteries, shrines, rich Dynastic estates, trade ports, academies and garrisons aplenty?
>>
>>43557546
Why would there be a space port in blessed isle?
>>
File: 1445727020145.png (829 KB, 1024x530) Image search: [Google]
1445727020145.png
829 KB, 1024x530
>>43557682
What space port? Normal trade ports with normal ships, dumbass.
>>
>>43557682
What?
>>
>>43557708
I blame shrines being on top of trade ports.
How would an Exalted space port in blessed isle/its equivalent be like anyway?
>>
>>43557716
It wouldn't. There's no such thing.

The closest would be a shrine on top of Mt Meru, with an airship dock.
>>
>>43556715
That double-breaks the system over it's knee.
>>
>>43557723
Pf.
Even Elder Scrolls has space ports.
>>
>>43557732
How? How does it break it more than allowing Dex to be a god-stat, especially now that decisive damage isn't even tied to your Str?
>>
>>43557735
Because Elder Scrolls is a lore clusterfuck.
>>
>>43557764
It would break 2e, which is what they're talking about, due to strength having a bunch of other things to compensate.
>>
>>43557788
As well as STR having a metric fuckton of hyper-cheap booster-effects.
>>
Are there other Elder Scrolls/Exalted crossovers than Kill Six Billion Demons?
>>
File: DRINK2.png (434 KB, 889x218) Image search: [Google]
DRINK2.png
434 KB, 889x218
>>43558371
There are no Elder Scrolls/Exalted crossovers, period.
>>
>>43558396
But ksbd?
>>
>>43558396
But there is an Evangelion/Exalted fanfic.
It's hilarious in all the wrong and right ways.
>>
>>43558542
Is not any kind of crossover or fanfic.
>>
>>43558543
There are many Exalted crossovers in general.
But they are nearly all terrible as crossovers (mostly just a pure, boring power boost to the main character, but it varies), even if they are good or funny or interesting as stories.
>>
>>43555938
Holden had a celebratory tweet about being able to throw the 2e presentation of MHS on a fire, and the writer who wrote the Nameless Lair for Compass: East is on the "do not hire" list, so it isn't just a slight "moving away from the idea". It's an approach that they've sealed off.
>>
>>43545962

Enkidu is cute! CUTE!
>>
>>43557723
>It wouldn't. There's no such thing.

3e in a nutshell gentlemen.
>>
>>43559755
>Fantasy setting in a nutshell
FTFY
>>
>>43559755
You're criticising the game for not having fucking space ports? You magitech guys are cancerous.
>>
>>43559889
>You magitech guys are cancerous.
Maybe that's what ails Morke
>>
>>43559755
>A fantasy setting that doesn't even have space doesn't have a spaceport?
>3e is shit!

Please leave.
>>
So which caste would Enkidu be?
>>
>>43559889
>>43559985

What does Magitech offer now that Evocations are a thing? They used to offer actuall mechanical benefits that Artefacts didn't, but now in Ex3 has Evocations and Sorcerous Workings, I just don't see the point in Magitech unless Magitech is a central part of the artefact like in the case of Warstriders.
>>
>>43560061

Full Moon.
>>
>>43560069

The technological feel? Its all thematics for me anyway.
>>
>>43560069
>They used to offer actuall mechanical benefits that Artefacts didn't

Like fucking what?

Half the magitech in 2e was literally reskinned non-magitech from 1e.
>>
>>43560069
>Magitech is a central part of the artefact like in the case of Warstriders.
Still don't buy that. Magical, huge suits of armour and animate statues that imitate the actions of the person with in both carry the feel of Warstriders in a much more magical way.
>>
>>43560069
Warstriders aren't exactlymagitech in 3e, just complicated magic.

All what was "magitech" in 2e now works through Evocations and innate artifact powers, instead of circuits and modules. Functionally, very similar.
>>
>>43559889
Honestly, I think I've seen someone say "This ruins Exalted!" about literally every change made in 3E. Also someone else has pretty much always said something along the lines of "Finally that was fixed, that shit was ruining Exalted!" Each and every aspect of the game, whether crunchy, seems to be a game-defining bit of brilliance for someone and simultaneously a cringeworthy example of shitty writing or game design for someone else. Having differing opinions is normal, but I think Exalted fandom takes such differences of opinion further than most people.
>>
>>43560123
I think part of it is that the spectrum of valid-ish opinions is so much wider on account of Exalted having been or tried to be so many different things to different people over the years.

I mean, no-one would be upset that Greyhawk or whatever didn't have spaceports... but on the other hand, IIRC Pelor doesn't have a gigantic mecha sun under his control, and Exalted at one point had such a thing.

Whether we on one end think that was good? Not really important, because it legitimized a whole slew of things on the other end. Sort of.
>>
>>43560090

Fair enough. I've absolutely no experience with 1e anyway. Still though, there's magitech armour in WotLA that gives a number of benefits such as dematerialization, breathing and fighting underwater, and stealing essence from others, and I'm looking at it thinking, won't this just be regular artefacts with Evocations in Ex3?

>>43560107

I guess that I just have trouble imagining Warstriders as none mechanical, but you're right. They ought to be more like what Jack in this:

https://vimeo.com/22667410

>>43560111

Yeah, first age artefacts combines Sorcery and regular Artefacts in this edition. In fact Craft (Artefacts) and Craft (First Age Artefacts) are two different things, with the latter requiring multiple Sorcerous Workings along the way.
>>
>>43560250
>won't this just be regular artefacts with Evocations in Ex3?
It will, but more focusing on a unifying theme for each artifact.
>Warstriders
Imagine the Colossus of Rhodes, but with a person inside. Done.
>>
>>43560321
I was about to suggest a Collosus versus Helepolis grudge match, but apparently the former was built in part with recovered metal from the latter among others. The more you know?

I bet Demetrius would have done a lot better with a giant war-strider.
>>
This will forever be how Warstriders work. Especially with how the whole show went down. It used to be required watching whenever anyone mentioned warstriders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK38WzlNvfk
>>
>>43560481
I should really rewatch Escaflowne. I only remember bits and pieces of it, and the fact that I loved.
>>
>>43560123
>>43560234

Eh, it's a thing. I mean the magitech stuff in Exalted makes it feel less mythology hero. However, if i'm honest...sometimes I think people just throw shit into Exalted because "dat would be cool" sometimes. I guess 3e is suppose to be more mythological, but if that's a positive or not we'll see.
>>
>>43560061
Artifact 5 or N/A
>>
>>43560502

The whole series is still very good even after all this time. Just don't watch the movie. It shits all over the series and was only good for the "fight scenes" which is done better by nearly everything now a days.
>>
File: 794.png (99 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
794.png
99 KB, 500x500
>>43560538
>I mean the magitech stuff in Exalted makes it feel less mythology hero. However, if i'm honest...sometimes I think people just throw shit into Exalted because "dat would be cool" sometimes.
Exactly, Exalted has become some sort of melting pot for people tho throw random unrelated stuff they find cool (mostly anime), because apparently "that's what Exalted is all about".
Which is bullshit and I won't do or allow in my games. They will be about the Illiads and the Beowulfs, not some anime dude that's "obviously a Solar" because he's arrogant and courageous and maybe wears gold armor.
>>
>>43560545
It must be awful to be the kind of person who hears a mythological name and thinks 'anime'.
>>
>>43560672

Are you implying anime is not a direct source to a lot of Exalted?
>>
File: 1418737760954.gif (3 MB, 470x264) Image search: [Google]
1418737760954.gif
3 MB, 470x264
>>43560677
Fuck those guys for stealing names off the Classics. And everyone else that does it.

Names are supposed to be unique identifiers, especially for notable figures.

It'd be like calling some action movie hero Jack Sparrow completely unrelated to Pirates of the Caribbean.

>>43560726
Yes. Anime drawing styles were for 1e, Wuxia fighting styles still are. Other than that, no. Maybe in previous editions where you called out your special laser beam attacks or something.
>>
>>43560726
'Anime' is a medium, and as such cannot be an influence for a roleplaying game.
>>
File: No anime allowed.jpg (306 KB, 805x905) Image search: [Google]
No anime allowed.jpg
306 KB, 805x905
>>43560768
>>43560772

Huh
>>
>>43560814
That's 1e. 2e was slightly different, 3e is very different.
>>
>>43560768
>Names are supposed to be unique identifiers, especially for notable figures.

How dare there be more than one famous Abraham! Or John! What heathens!

Seriously, dude. This is a shitty argument, especially when you're talking about something that is intentionally making allusion or reference to the classics.
>>
>>43560857

3e also lists Inuyasha, Claymore, and Ninja Scroll (again) as well as Final Fantasy VII.
>>
>>43560814
Congratulations for not understanding my post.
>>
>>43560857
Inuyasha, claymore, Ninja Scroll, and Howl's Moving Castle are still on the list, and "Anime" is still a section in the inspirations in EX3.
>>
>>43560861
Now that they have become common in our culture it's already too late, but it's not for names like Achiles or Oddyseus.
>>43560867
>>43560883
But not all anime. People should be looking at what those animes are about, not the fact that they are anime.
>>
>>43560883
...Inuyasha? Oh dear, what the hell exalted he and his cast suppose to be?
>>
>>43560861

Well Gilgamesh is suppose to be the actual Gilgamesh. Or rather the collective belief of all of humankind's version of Gilgamesh. He named the chains that held the Bull of Heaven after Enkidu. So when Gilgamesh gets brought up it is suppose to be the kawaii uguu version of Gilgamesh of legend. So not just a reference just straight up taken.
>>
>>43560928
In a literary sense, it's still a reference. It's not intended to be a direct sequel to the actual Epic of Gilgamesh, any more than Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is supposed to be a history. It's *referencing* a historical/mythical character to create resonance.
>>
>>43560857
>3e is very different

Which is why its suggested resources page still has more anime than anything other than contemporary genre fiction right?
>>
>>43560925
Inuyasha is a demon-blooded Lunar, Kagome is a modern human who Exalts as a Zenith (and is the reincarnation of Kikyo), Shippo is a fox spirit, Miroku is an Eclipse Caste, Sango is a Night Caste with Thrown Supernal and a bakeneko familiar.
>>
>>43560988
Anime isn't a genre, it's a animation style.
>>
>>43561005

>guy starts bitching about "anime" in his Exalted
>gets called out

That has nothing to do with it being a genre.
>>
>>43561005
I never said it was senpai

The E3 suggested resources page is listed by medium, the "Fiction" (read: novels) section is only bigger than the anime section by one entry. And they all happen to be Genre Fiction. THATS what I was pointing out
>>
>>43560772
And thats a bullshit argument made simply for the sake of being argumentative.

No one takes "Exalted has anime influences" to mean its influenced by "Cute Girls Doing Cute Things" Slice of Life stuff. Or gag/reference comedy series, or harem romcoms (unless you play a very special type of DB campaign)

Its implicitly understood that when people say "Exalted has anime influences" they mean fantasy anime or battle shounen/seinen. Which is pretty much undeniable truth
>>
>>43561134
You'd be surprised how often people want one of every exalt kind of harems, lolis and shit like that in their Exalted.
>>
>>43561223
those people are faggots and you trash bin them rather than let them play
>>
>>43561281
Exactly. Too bad there's a lot of them.
>>
>>43561223
>one of every exalt kind of harems
I'm pretty sure people would want this even without anime existing. It seems like kind of an obvious fantasy to me. Lolis may be a different thing, though even then children or apparently childlike characters who are more than they seem to be are a thing outside of anime.
>>
File: 1355690025601.jpg (18 KB, 163x155) Image search: [Google]
1355690025601.jpg
18 KB, 163x155
>>43561223

What does that have to do with anime? That sounds like normal human nature.

>tfw no DB waifu
>>
>>43560672
Go read up on Lookshy in 1e's the Outcaste or something. The techy bullshit has been there forever, 2e's mistake was in making that stuff its own category instead of expressions of the same kind of magic.
>>
>>43561134
>No one takes "Exalted has anime influences" to mean its influenced by "Cute Girls Doing Cute Things" Slice of Life stuff. Or gag/reference comedy series, or harem romcoms
Yes, you do. It's precisely the kind of people who say 'you should have 'x' in Exalted, because anime is an influence on Exalted' and you get the retarded kitchen sink Gurren Lagann shit that 2e had.
>>
>>43561300
To be honest fäm it's the nature of the beast. The general premise is like honey to flies in regards to attracting freeform tier power wankers or general faggots.

Like seriously the TV tropes pages on it is or was massive cringe
>>
File: 1297928604063.jpg (43 KB, 399x477) Image search: [Google]
1297928604063.jpg
43 KB, 399x477
>>43561223
>>43561281
>>43561300
BADWRONGFUN!!!1!
>>
>>43561413

Gurren Lagann is not a Cute Girls doing Cute Things or a Slice of Life. It's a action adventure anime.
>>
>>43561456
Do you win cash prizes for missing the point?
>>
>>43561223
>harems and lolis are exclusive to anime and not also found in all those "Classic Myths" you were saying SHOULD be the influence of Exalted

That is some grade A+ retardation right there.

Last I checked Gilgamesh almost certainly had a ton of concubines, Zues fucked everything that moved. And the theme of the Child-Goddess is found in multiple cultures

If you don't want that stuff at your table, fine. But don't bitch about anime
>>
>>43561413

>he did not do a game in the Wyld with a warstrider

What the fuck do you even play Exalted for? Go play Dungeons and Dragons as a wizard or something.
>>
>>43561425
It's not badwrongfun to have an Exalted game that's all about cute girls doing cute things or whatever, if that's what the group is into. Going into other people's games, though, you should be aware of a possible mismatch between your tastes and other people's views when it comes to Exalted and not expect every game to accommodate your desires.
>>
>>43561425
>>43561493
Loli defense squad please go and take your DFC with you.

You're worse than skub
>>
>>43561425
Yes, being a That Guy is actually bad.
>>
>>43561537

This is 4chan. Even though it is /tg/ at least half of us is "that guy" to any normal person. It gets worse on other boards.
>>
>>43561572
It's still bad, and you should try not to be one.
>>
>>43561520
>Someone pointing out that Mythology had a ton of magical realm
>"Loli defense squad please go"

You make RPG.net look like a fair, balanced discussion.
>>
>>43561809

Have you really not noticed he is trolling softly. This is all due to the fact that we stopped bitching about Holden and Morke and we have to entertain ourselves.
>>
>>43561828
Sup Holden
>>
>>43560672

Unfortunately, that is how the internet sees Exalted and how many people will. The rule of cool thing has been engraved into Exalted's image.

I mean there are more themes to Exalted, but pretty much what else is it known for? Other than rule of cool and maybe the setting?
>>
>>43561878

See you were suppose to say Sup Strength of Many and I would respond with Sup Holden. Not its all screwed up.
>>
>>43561887
It's because these "themes" are not worth any attention on top being done shittily
>>
>>43554957
Get them to finish one of the Abilities that caps at E3. Otherwise it's wasted.
>>
>>43554957
>Apocryphal charm keyword

Spoilsports
>>
>>43559693
Not any more
>>
>>43561493
>Last I checked Gilgamesh almost certainly had a ton of concubines, Zues fucked everything that moved. And the theme of the Child-Goddess is found in multiple cultures
That's irrelevant because it's rather easy to discern when someone deosn't want to explore the themes of God-Children but to indulge his lolicon fantasies. Just because there are children in mythology doesn't give you free pass for including ~ufufufu loli Twilights blatantly behaving like sluts or moeblobs. I mean, it CAN be fun but only if everyone at the table is ok with this.
>>
>>43560989
>Sango is a Night Caste with Thrown Supernal and a bakeneko familiar.

>literally impossible

ok
>>
File: 1403289756734.jpg (379 KB, 943x1200) Image search: [Google]
1403289756734.jpg
379 KB, 943x1200
>>43561005
>Anime isn't a genre, it's a animation style.
It's considered a distinct medium from western animation, although admittedly the line is blurring now since the west is using animation to tell serious stories.

But manga is considered a distinct medium as well, even though Western comic books have been telling serious stories since at least the 1960s.

In short: it's not a hill worth dying on. Don't do it.
>>
File: 1406641140697.jpg (199 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
1406641140697.jpg
199 KB, 800x1200
>>43561223
Eh. We played a game where that happened, totally by accident.

Nothing was ruined. Sorry.
>>
>>43562455

No you hated it. You just have not realized it yet.
>>
>>43562467
That seems fair.

Should I go post about this on RPG.net on my trolling account?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.