[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dropfleet Commander
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 23
Totally (not) a shill

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hawkwargames/dropfleet-commander

25 days left in the campaign, currently at 315 pounds out of the 500 needed for the LOADSA SHIPS stretch goal. If reached, hitting 500 pounds would allow backers at the Commodore level to get 12 frigates, 4 cruisers, and 1 battlecruiser per faction, for a total of 48, 16, and 4 respectively.

>Beta game showcasing the rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLDc-iWib48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5xe3f5hyGg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3e_RNSSST0

So /tg/, have you backed yet? What is your favorite faction style so far? Is there a group near you interested in the game?
>>
Question, does anyone know if those nifty bases come with the starter pack, or are they bolt-on only?
>>
>>43545529
Supposedly: Comes with the models, the bolt-on is for people who want those seperately.
>>
>>43545529
they come with the models
>>
>>43545139
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hawkwargames/dropfleet-commander

It may just make it. This is a must get for the UCM ships and Andy Chamber's rules.
>>
>>43549245
Oh no, it's already made it; the goal was 40,000 pounds; we're just waiting for it to 500,000 for the bonus frigates (Yes, I know OP says 315 and 500)

Also, getting the commodore pack is the most cost effective option there is if they hit 500k pounds.

>Lieutenant is 45 pounds, and if the kickstarter hits 500k you'll get 8 frigates and 4 cruisers for one faction, and 4 frigates and 1 cruiser for every other.
>Commodore is 150 pounds, and if the kickstarter hits 500k you'll get 12 frigates, 4 cruisers, and 1 battlecruiser for every faction.

Fuck, it just hitting 350k would be more than enough to make it worth it.
>>
File: Gday.jpg (190 KB, 680x696) Image search: [Google]
Gday.jpg
190 KB, 680x696
UCM ships look better upside down
>>
>>43549808
>mfw they almost look like offbrand IoM ships

In all honesty, the only thing I don't like about the UCM ships are those damn ventral spires; they're way too fat to look good.

Also, have there been any hints for other weapon types? So far we've seen the UCM Railguns (in their various flavors), the UCM and Scourge Burn-throughs, and close action; as well as fighters/bombers/torpedos.
>>
>>43545139
I like the look of the PHR in dropzone but the Scourge ships are turning me on to them.
>>
>>43550646
Same; I don't like how the Scourge look in DFZ, but damn if their ships aren't smooth as fuck.
>>
>>43551123
what bothers you about the ground scourge aesthetic beyond the CD rack transports
>>
>>43553226
I don't know, there just seems to be a disunity between their infantry and their vehicles; I know they're trying to be a nod towards the Yeerks with their razor worms (Taxxon) and everything, but it's a bit jarring.

Also, I hate their troop transport, the Invader; it's just too large and almost boxy to mesh with their standard organic style.
>>
>>43553350
Well the infantry are brain-jacked members of other races while the vehicles are designed by the scourge themselves,
but the CD rack drop ships are pretty sills.
>>
>>43553350
I suppose your only going by the pictures on the site rather than looking at the miniatures in person?
>>
>>43553689
additionally the infantry shouldnt look very scourgelike as they are in fact just humans, and the razorworms are not a very common infantry occurrence builk of scourge infantry units are warriors or old ones (veteran warriors) backed up by units of Destroyers/Eviscerators the few razorworms that show up are deployed only from scourge heavy tanks and used as disposable shock troops
>>
>>43553689
I dunno any more about the CD rack design, given they deploy grav tanks it gives you the option of having a much smaller landing footprint which for urban situations is highly useful
>>
>>43553689
Perhaps, I suppose it's just a matter of preference.

>>43553706
Nah, even in person I wasn't particularly impressed with the Scourge as a whole; I liked their smaller vehicles and walkers however.
>>
>>43553226
They're goofy as fuck. Those huge eyebulbs on every tonk and gun barrels that look like gardenhose nozzles make it incredibly hard to take them seriously.
>>
>>43545139
Hawks designs are so weirdly going everywhere on the whole spectrum of retardedly boring <> retardedly overladen, with very little in the sweet spot in the middle. They remind me of final fantasy monster designs, especially X+.
>>
>>43556879
Personally, I like how the designs get progressively more outlandish as the faction gets more alien, from UCM to PHR to Scourge to Shaltari
>>
>>43553689

I like how they kind of invoke a feeling of Martian War of the Worlds combined with space bugs. I think they look pretty cool.

The only thing I don't really like about their stuff is the absurdly giant hovercrafts. They should have went with more drills.
>>
>that fucking battleship
>it's nearly a foot long
I'm not made of money, Hawk
>>
>>43556879
the whole model range (sans maybe the shaltari) follows an art deco design philosophy. Looking at it you get a sense of 1940s/1950s If you really hate that type of design your not going to like the range, but it manages to be consistent across all the factions
>>
>>43559832
>art deco
I'm no art student, but isn't that just an architectural style with lots of [screams geometrically] and sunbursts?
>>
>>43559796
I dont like all these dangly tubes :<
>>
>>43559895
Same, too IoM for me; the rest of the ship is beautiful though.
>>
>>43559871
it got applied to architecture, a prime example is the Empire state building, but it can encompass any object that follows those visual designs

For example the movie Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow is very art deco. All of the human faction vehicles in the game draw some amount of art deco inspiration. It gives them this sort of old (to us) feel to all the vehicles despite being supposedly more future

To go with that at least the scourge attempt to encompass a war of the worlds UFO type of design although there are clearly some amount of Geiger influences
>>
>>43559929
you guys realize you could cut em off and use some greenstuff or equivalent to model over the area to make it smooth

I mean there is room for conversion here
>>
File: UCM BB no poles.jpg (105 KB, 680x453) Image search: [Google]
UCM BB no poles.jpg
105 KB, 680x453
>>43560042
for example like this (excuse my inexpert photoshop)
>>
>>43560174

Is this something that is used in game? Or is it a shelf piece?
>>
>>43560174
I can dig it; I'd be worried that I'd fuck it up since it's a "one time only, this kickstarter only" model.

>>43560420
2-up shelf piece for 40 eurobucks; the actual battleship model is 142 mm long.
>>
>>43560463
>2-up shelf piece

Got it. I didn't know what 2-up was supposed to mean at first.
>>
>>43560463
given how large it is, that makes it that much easier a conversion to pull off desu

But i mean if youre getting that thing youre probably getting some other ship sprues somewhere so you could practice on those, a good jewlry nippers and some fine sand paper should get you a smooth finish. Just a suggestion I mean if all that is holding you back is some poles off the bottom that can be fixed
>>
>>43560546
Oh no, it's not that, it's the fact that I'm modifying a collectors edition model; it feels wrong to do so, in a sense.
>>
>>43560042
Or not bother at all.
>>
File: stop_penis_erect_archer.gif (936 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
stop_penis_erect_archer.gif
936 KB, 500x281
>>43559796
12"
>>
File: UCMShipsSansVentralSpires.png (605 KB, 742x758) Image search: [Google]
UCMShipsSansVentralSpires.png
605 KB, 742x758
Here's a shitty MSpaint job of all the UCM cruisers w/out the ventral spires; I'm not sure if I like them more or less. I hope the spires are a separate piece of the sprue, and not integral to the main hull.
>>
>>43561727

I think they are missing too much now.

The designs look a little too symmetrical and clean.
>>
>>43562876
Perhaps, but I did my best to trim off only the ventral spires. The image was pretty small and low res, to be fair.
Here's the original image for comparison.
>>
File: UCMShipsSansVentralSpires.png (599 KB, 680x696) Image search: [Google]
UCMShipsSansVentralSpires.png
599 KB, 680x696
>>43562941
And the edited image with the proper dimensions.
>>
>>43562941

Yea it doesn't help that it is just an image. It might look better if you were able to actually convert a model.

The next unlock is 2.5k away. I wonder what it is supposed to be.
>>
>>43562988
Maybe a dreadnought sized fleet carrier?
>>
>>43562988
Orbital platforms are almost inevitable.
>>
>>43563973
certainly in the second book for DZC they mention the one planet has a huge shipyard facility nearby like gundam colony sized
>>
>>43563973

That was my guess as well. We are so close!

If it is a station of some kind we could see some of the space based objectives then.
>>
File: SweatingMan.jpg (18 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
SweatingMan.jpg
18 KB, 250x250
>>43563973
>>43564197
>>43564251
>mfw a Scourge orbital oppression fortress
>>
Are they going to publish rules on how to tie this game in with DZC? Such as, troops that are successfully deployed onto the planet in DFC represent battle groups or armies that then must then battle on the next table for objectives in DZC.

I would like to see a campaign that ties the two games together.
>>
File: ship9[3].jpg (212 KB, 1153x865) Image search: [Google]
ship9[3].jpg
212 KB, 1153x865
>>43565184
Well, considering how big a UCM strike carrier is in DZC scale, I think a single group of units would likely be an entire tournament.
>>
File: Salute_Hawk_Wargames_4[3].jpg (177 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
Salute_Hawk_Wargames_4[3].jpg
177 KB, 1000x667
>>43565246
>>
File: ship4[1].jpg (163 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ship4[1].jpg
163 KB, 1024x768
>>43565261
(note that the PD turrets on the ships are, in actuality, the orbital defense laser set piece that Hawk released for one of their scenarios)
>>
File: PHR cruiser 1.jpg (59 KB, 679x261) Image search: [Google]
PHR cruiser 1.jpg
59 KB, 679x261
Pics of PHR ships are in. I hope you like broadsides.
>>
File: PHR cruiser 3.jpg (105 KB, 680x557) Image search: [Google]
PHR cruiser 3.jpg
105 KB, 680x557
>>
File: PHR cruiser 2.jpg (95 KB, 679x436) Image search: [Google]
PHR cruiser 2.jpg
95 KB, 679x436
>>
>>43565453
I can't imagine what their battlecruiser or battleship will look like.
>>
I really really want this game to work out and be good, I'm probably going to back at the Commodore level but I'm going wait till the 25th of November.
>>
>>43566280
I'd say go ahead and back now, just in case they give a bonus to backers from earlier on in the campaign. Remember, your card isn't charged until the end.
>>
>>43565484

I'm thinking a pair of Turrets on the top ala the old BFG cruisers or one on top and one on the bottom.

I'd also imagine that frontal gun will have a couple of variants as well. It's probably where they story the Cruiser mounted Torpedoes I'm thinking.
>>
>>43567190
I wonder what other exotic weapons they'll have in the game; varying flavors of railguns, close attack, and burn-throughs are all well and good, but I'm sure they have something else up their sleeve.
>>
>>43567240

Burnthrough broadsides seem likely, I'd imagine it's also where the Carrier bays would be put as well.

Not sure what else.
>>
>>43567307
Well, burnthrough broadsides are basically just the same thing as regular burnthroughs, just with more dice.

An exploding, exponential "virus" kind of weapon would be interesting, for example:
>roll 3 dice
>5 or 6 to hit
>rolling a 6 allows you to reroll twice/thrice/whatever more

Although, on second thought, that's just another variant of the burnthrough reroll mechanic.

Is there any other thing they could do with weapons?
>>
>>43567403

Depends, what do they get in DZC? Lasers, Giant Robots...?
I mean we know that PHR retain their low speed and high armour values, maybe Shaltari style shields? PHR have energy shields in DZC for certain units don't they?
>>
>>43567543
They have shields on the Zeus command walker,
some kind of nano machine system would be likely for the PHR.
>>
>>43566698
Ehh nvm, no one at my local gaming shop wants to play it.
>>
File: Tie fighter anime.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Tie fighter anime.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>43567403
I'm interest in what fighters and bombers are going to do. I know I'm going to get my hands on those sweet as fuck fighter and bomber models.

Maybe we'll see something like the Beast from Homeworld. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQgrQVv4rSE
I could see something like that being used by maybe the PHR due to their penchant for fucking with people's technology or possibly the Scourge.
>>
>>43568824
the animu face ruined that webm for me
>inb4 "complaining about animu on an okinawan film projector enthusiast forum"
>>
>>43568922
>Complaining about anime on an ani
FUCK
>>
>>43568759
>not getting it just for the models
>not taking it to your gamestore regardless when it ships and swaying them over

>>43568922
>inb4ing on your own post
>>
>tfw we'll just barely make 500k according to kicktraq if the kickstarter maintains the same amount of backers and amount backed per day.
Nervous as fuck desu senpai.
>>
>>43565184
Theyve stated they will have a section in the rule book on ideas for how to tie the two games together possibly also some campaigns or scenarios
>>
>>43569357
>not taking it to your gamestore regardless when it ships and swaying them over
Not him but, I still cant decide on what to get.
I dont know if I want to get the 2 person starter or just do the UCM starter & rule book plus some bolt-ons. That radar map looks sexy.
>>
>>43569604
calm yourself sir, there are numerous people whove stated they wont back till the end, and they will release pictures of painted PHR and Shaltari ships at some point (that will pull more people in)

But getting to 500k pounds is some pie in the sky shit anyway
>>
>>43569756
Personally, I think Commodore is the best deal, simply because you can get one of each battlecruiser, and it comes with the radar map since it's high tier.

>>43569819
>pie in the sky shit
Have hope, anon; personally, I want my 12 frigates per faction.
>>
>>43569756
Speaking of which, how exactly do the bolt-ons work? Do I just wait for the end and pick them then, or do I need to increase my pledge amount before hand? It isn't entirely clear and I'm a sucker for display models and that battleship is sexy as hell.

Also, I'm honestly in a similar boat. My local store doesn't exactly have a healthy community. It's dominated by Wizards products and hardly anything else, with Warmachine being the only major wargaming events that happen with any regularity. I honestly plan on just showing up with the starter set and shill the game. I already got the Commodore pack since it seems to give the most for the money.
>>
>>43569937
so say you do commodore at 150, and you want a 15 pound bolton, you change your pledge to 165 and at the end they will give you a list of 15 pound bolt ons you can afford and you grab the one you want

Least Im 85% sure thats how it works
>>
>>43569819
Judging from the look of all this, I assume all the models are pre-painted? I've honestly never been a fan of having to paint the pieces myself. I just don't have the time or the skill.
>>
If a 4 by 4 map is supposed to be the size of Spain or so, what size of a map would you need for an Earth sized planet? 20 by 32?

>>43569937
>Speaking of which, how exactly do the bolt-ons work?
You back, and then Hawk will send you a survey when the kickstarter is over where you pick bolt ons that come up to your total pledge (I think); and yes, you need to pledge beforehand.

For example, if you want the Commodore pack, the Battleship, and you live in the US, you'd need to back for 200 eurobucks: 150 (commodore) + 10 (shipping) +40 (battleship); and then you tell Hawk that you want the battleship when they Email you (I think).

>Also, I'm honestly in a similar boat.
Personally, I'm getting it just for the models. Even if there's no local competitive scene for it, I'm sure I can sway a few of the nerds on campus.

Does anyone know if Madness Games is going to be into this, or are they Magic and 40k only

>>43569994
>I assume all the models are pre-painted
God no, they all come un-painted and un-assembled.
>>
>>43569937
>My local store doesn't exactly have a healthy community. It's dominated by Wizards products and hardly anything else, with Warmachine being the only major wargaming events that happen with any regularity.
I know that feel bro.
Ever since AoS, the wargaming community has pretty much died where I live. Everyone is either selling off their shit, moving back to MtG, or both. We used to have a pretty strong community but I guess everyone got burned out and stuff. Though, two hours away where my parents live, the wargaming community seems stronger than ever, but that's probably because there is only one major FLGS in the entire area that everyone goes to.
>>
Any chance that people will actually play this one? I bought into DzC thinking I'd find a lot of people wanting to play, and after the starter set came out...Nothing.
>>
>>43569994
stuff is unpainted so its not your thing, in fact prepainted stuff is fairly rare for wargames, more likely to see that for more established settings (cough star wars cough) However I cant take star wars anymore after the prequels and with the new management
>>
>>43570055
I had to brute force the game into the group in my area, grabbed enough to have multiple full armies and just slowly begged and pleaded until I got everyone to try at least a demo game. Sold most people on the game immediately, might not be open to getting armies right away but willing to play if I have my stuff. Dunno what its like what area are you in? As Im playing in Allentown PA..
>>
>>43570122
>Dunno what its like what area are you in? As Im playing in Allentown PA..
Near to Atlantic City, NJ. There's five gaming shoppes within an hour's drive, and I've only heard of it being played at 1, and there by someone the people there didn't know.
>>
>>43570055
Hopefully! I think the lack of proper space wargames in the same vein as BFG will get this one going.

>>43570122
This is probably why Hawk is offering stuff like the Captain and Commodore pledges; they want backers to have enough stuff to be able to play with their friends, and get them hooked.
>>
>>43570141
Thats a bummer, should try and track those guys down.

Alternatively theres still 23 days left in the kickstarter, so if theres people you know at one of those stores, go there show em the stuff and see if theyd be interested in it. If no one shows any interest, dont back the kickstarter.

Definitely try and track down those guys who play at the one store though theyd likely be receptive to playing Dropfleet, and you can also put your Dropzone stuff to good use, maybe leave a flyer at the store if the owner will let you.
>>
>>43570250
>and you can also put your Dropzone stuff to good use, maybe leave a flyer at the store if the owner will let you.
I actually tried running a Demo Day for Dropzone near when it came out. A friend of mine and I got the starter set, got it all painted up, had flyers put up and everything.

One person came, and he already knew how to play, he just wanted to see how the community was growing.

I haven't touched the game since, despite enjoying it the few demo games I played.
>>
>>43570284
thats a damn shame man, honestly demo level games are fun at ~550 points but the game really shines when you get up to the 1500 points value. The variety of army list builds you can generate along with the number of units really allows for a great variety of play styles and strategies.

Have you tried looking for disgruntled players of Games Workshop games as DZC has several things about it that will appeal to them, such as: Reasonable faction balance, cheaper price tag for a competitive army despite more expensive individual units, Free rules for new things, regular errata updates and so on
>>
>>43570421
>Have you tried looking for disgruntled players of Games Workshop games as DZC has several things about it that will appeal to them, such as: Reasonable faction balance, cheaper price tag for a competitive army despite more expensive individual units, Free rules for new things, regular errata updates and so on
All of them switched to Warmachine and haven't looked back, and have approached that flawed mess with the same fervor that they approached 40k. It's reasonably frustrating.

That said, I can't say too much bad for it, at least considering what I remembered reading and seeing in battle reports. Did Shaltari ever get nerfed to being something other than "Scourge But Better"?
>>
>>43570453
there were several nerfs to shaltari, quite a few units went up in points cost which changed army composition, and a couple of other units had some tweaks to make them more viable, most of the factions got quite a few changes, which are all available on the website in the downloads. Theyve also released a bunch of new units since the resistance came out, those have rules up on the website as well

some very interesting changes to the meta, for instance PHR now has jumpjet infantry which can move 9", and jump out of a building into another 9" away during turn, UCM has a giant aerial commander which packs some serious firepower. They also have a whole bunch more infantry units all around. Theres alot of interesting stuff for each faction now
>>
>>43570029
Honestly, it's been that way for a while. Games Workshop upped the price to carry their stuff some time ago apparently and the local store just stopped carrying it, so any warhammer players left just go to their store about an hour away.

There are bi-weekly magic events and a weekly 5E D&D night with a warmachine event sandwiched between. Those are the biggest things the store has now, and just about the only things. Hell, it hardly even carries anything else. I think it stocks some starwars stuff for a small group that still plays, but otherwise it's just old box sets that collect dust on the top shelf. I honestly haven't been there in a while. Used to play Battletech but that died down to a small niche as well. Maybe I'll try going down and asking around to gauge interest. The owner is really good about supporting players and orders just about anything on demand, so I bet he'd support any attempt to push a new game.
>>
>>43570570
>>43570453
>>43570029
Why does it feel like wargaming is dying in the US just about everywhere, but it seems especially bad along the east coast.
>>
>>43570653
Wargaming was a Nerd Thing, and the market is oversaturated with Nerd Things. Individual ones are dying out because there's too much competition, and wargaming had been a niche corner of a niche corner to start with.
>>
>>43570570
>Games Workshop upped the price to carry their stuff some time ago apparently and the local store just stopped carrying it
>There are bi-weekly magic events and a weekly 5E D&D night with a warmachine event sandwiched between.
That pretty much describes my local community too.

GW burned one of the owner of one of my local stores on a deal and then tried to bully him. So he flat out refuses to sell any GW related products and promotes their competition. I only know this because I asked if where the W40k stuff was and he launched into a 5 minute rant on why GW is the worst company ever and so on and so fourth.

>>43570653
>but it seems especially bad along the east coast.
That's where I am. I live in Charleston SC, its like the doldrums down here. Though the Columbia community seems to be thriving. Though its been a few months since I've been up there to visit.
>>
>>43570653
Plebs and normies are getting into nerd shit, but it turns out that they don't actually like nerd shit beyond stuff like Magic or games like Warmachine, so the invisible hand feeds them caviar while fisting us without lube.
>>
>>43570767
thats the thing though I dont see any new people getting into it in my area, all the people I play with like me have played wargames for 10 years or more on and off. There is not a newbie to be found. This is really strange to me given that the internet + social media should make finding people to play locally a breeze, but it feels like its actually become more difficult all around
>>
>>43570862
>thats the thing though I dont see any new people getting into it in my area, all the people I play with like me have played wargames for 10 years or more on and off. There is not a newbie to be found. This is really strange to me given that the internet + social media should make finding people to play locally a breeze, but it feels like its actually become more difficult all around
Look up the concept of the Model Train Ghetto. It's happening, and it's subtle enough that people are still denying it.
>>
>>43570740
I'm near Charlotte myself and I know the feeling.

>Though the Columbia community seems to be thriving.

Like hell I'm going there to play. I swear the atmosphere over that city acts like a magnifying glass or something. It should not be possible for a location that far from the equator to be that hot.
>>
>>43570882
I dont feel like wargames are progressing in that direction though

They dont seem to be increasing in complexity nor focusing, in fact there are alot of systems being pushed around now based on streamlining or dumbing down the rules so the game plays faster and with less rules consulting. I know Dropzone is less complex rules wise than current 40k, or say infinity, and warpath is trying to be very streamlined. I will concede the expense. I feel like the problem is that there is a general lack of disposable income, to much competition with easy hobbies (video games) and generally few places to reliably gather and play which is forcing people down the path of least resistance (video games)
>>
>>43571014
This; why bother running to the shop, spending 60 dollars on a set of new miniatures, and have to spend several hours painting them, when you could just throw 60 dollars at steam and have a game to play in an hour or less.
>>
File: king of the hill phoenix.png (415 KB, 409x700) Image search: [Google]
king of the hill phoenix.png
415 KB, 409x700
>>43570928
>It should not be possible for a location that far from the equator to be that hot.
>>
>>43571064
Well, it is called PHOENIX.
>>
>>43571064
>a monument to man's arrogance
pretty metal desu senpai.
>>
>>43571064
This applies to essentially the entirety of South Carolina between the coast and the high end of the Piedmont region.

In fact, before the age of air conditioning, it was considered virtually uninhabitable in the summer time, and even today all that's there is a bunch of slums with the fucking capital slapped in the middle.. Columbia is literally a giant middle finger to nature. It's hot, humid, and filled with biting insects. It's like the state becomes the Florida panhandle until you get to the mountains.
>>
>>43571036
To be honest with you, I've been going in the other direction. I used to like vidya but either it's gone down hill or I've gotten more picky, but ever since I was invited to a game of 3.5 D&D I've found tg to be a lot more fun. After that I got sick of 3.5 being, well, 3.5, and hopped onto 5e back when it was first in the testing stages and learned to DM, then I got a big pile of GURPS books and ran those for some friends, and now I have a RuneQuest 6 hardcover in the mail and am backing this game. I can't paint for shit, and have never played much of a wargame beyond the occasional chess, but damn does it look fun.

Speaking of which, what am I going to need to paint these things properly? I'm sorta diving in blind with regards to that aspect of the game.
>>
>>43571336
>Speaking of which, what am I going to need to paint these things properly? I'm sorta diving in blind with regards to that aspect of the game.
Same here, I have some Citadel paints back from when I tried to get into 40k, but I'm pretty sure they're dried to hell and back by now. Any recommendations, /tg/?
>>
>>43571336
your going to want some sort of clippers, an xacto knife, and some reasonably fine sandpaper (like 220ish) this is to prep the models get em off the sprues, and trim/sand mold lines and nubs.

Once they are clean up, your gonna need some kind of primer, if your gonna do bright colors white is a good choice, if your going for darker black might be better, gray is always a solid middle choice.

Youll then need some brushes look for a variety pack of small detail brushes at craft or hobby store, your gonna want fairly small detail brushes, but a couple of larger ones to get large areas done are also good.

Finally youll need a set of paints (I use games workshop paints but you might not want too) I cant quite say I can recommend a solid brand, you may consider asking in the WIP general see if someone has suggestions.

As far as colors try to come up with a scheme or pattern, if your not too skilled stay simple, might take inspiration from something else youve seen and liked. probably looking at 2-5 colors for your scheme plus some additional colors for shading, highlights, and some ink washes, I highly recommend you get these for whatever paint line you get, as this scale of miniature responds well to a good ink wash.

There are alot of painting tutorials on youtube, you dont need to find one on your specific type of model, learning general techniques is always helpful.

TLDR: clippers, xacto knife, sandpaper, brushes (both fine detail and slightly larger) 2-5 colors for paint scheme, and various highlight/shading colors + some washes
>>
>>43571442
also glue, you will need glue crazy glue works great i prefer locktite gel stuff
>>
>>43571382
>>43571336
Vallejo has a great range of paints. They're usually the recommended range right next to GW's citadel paint.A bunch of us fools(myself included) bought citadel paints which are about on par in terms of quality but more expensive than Vallejo.

In the wip thread you'll usually see people talk in citadel paint terms because most people have gw figures and just bought paints while they were there/flgs only sells citadel. I'm sure there is a conversion chart floating for citadel --> Vallejo colour names.
>>
>>43571883
That and Citadel metallics are massively easier to use than Vallejo's. For me it's metallics from Citadel, inks from Vallejo and colors from both.
>>
>>43573875
After Model Air I don't use anything else, it's really nice and thin, good colour.
>>
>>43571442

Actually, for painting starships, you can get decent results with high detail models by undercoating black and then drybrushing over in a lighter colour to pick out the detail and then adding the finishing touches.

Alternatively if you want a lighter look, then a white undercoat - black inkwash - white drybrush works good as well.
>>
>>43574017
I was more basing that on say if you want to paint them yellow or orange, at least with citadel paints, painting those over black is frustrating given how many coats you have to use. most other colors work fine on black though
>>
File: 2014-07-30 15.21.59.jpg (2 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
2014-07-30 15.21.59.jpg
2 MB, 1920x2560
>>43575144

Yeah, for yellows or oranges you want to start with a white or similar basecoat.

It's basically what I did here.
>>
>>43575248
Nice; what do you think of how Dave painted the Shaltari?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzQ6Hryx5Yk
>>
>>43575323

Effective, but you'd get through ink so so quickly.
>>
>>43575323
I think despite the high use of ink wash as >>43575874 indicated that technique would work really really well on a spaceship game like Dropfleet, you could use a variety of color transitions
>>
>>43576246

It'd work REALLY well with the more alien races. It'd probably work well for things like the Aquan or Relthozan from FSA as well, but now we're talking SERIOUS ink usage given how oversized those ships are.

But if you wanted non-metallic colors for your Scourge then this could work well.
>>
>>43576342
I was thinking starting with a light grey, or light grey blue, and using a black ink wash to darken in, you could then highlight with colors of your choice and that would work for more "human" races like say UCM dropfleet
>>
>>43576458

I still think the drybrush on black method I suggested would work better for UCM.
>>
>>43571014

I don't know if dumbing down is accurate. I find a lot of minis games, like GW ones have a lot of useless rule bloat. Like all the rules for vehicles and such when simpler rules would do the same job.

To be fair the logic behind it is that battle between simulationist rules vs tactical rules. Simulationist rules are games like battle tech and 40/whfb to a lesser extent where it's trying to recreate reality with lots of nitpicky rule that don't add up to much. The focus is on some level of realism vs fluidity of game structure. The tactical games see themselves as games and focus on having units with functional over fluffy rules and focus more on playing a balanced game where there are a variety of meaningful choices and where the dice kill you less.

Neither side is better than the other. It's a matter of whether you prefer the clean tight game or the re creationist game that tries to grab the randomness and little details of reality in game form.
>>
>>43576594
I think its more of a balance between how many models you expect to be on the playing field and how exacting the rules are about those models. As the number of models increases the amount of rules detail per model must decrease or the game begins to bog down. This does not occur at a linear rate. There is an optimum number of models which can be represented at a certain detail level exceeding it results in slow play. 40k suffers from this there is too much detail on a per model basis for the number of models expected to be in play in a standard sized game.

Obviously you can exceed this for any game system by playing an overly large game type, so usually there is a sort of unoffical standard size determined by tournaments or the game creator
>>
New Kickstarter update; modular space station bolt on added, as well as PHR renders and painted Shaltari later this week.
>>
>>43576760
>modular space station bolt on added
Any pics?
>>
>>43577126
just concept art atm
>>
>>43565453
>>43565470
>>43565482
Goddamn those sides are broad.

I was kinda expecting them to be toting most of their guns at the front, and to be maneuverable as fuck, since the fluff mentions their ships in a way that makes them sound like there's some kinda inertialess drive shenanigans going on.

But I guess they're gonna be the TUFF faction like they are on the ground. That's fine too.
>>
>>43577792
>necron PHR
Pls no
>>
File: aleph16.jpg (117 KB, 600x930) Image search: [Google]
aleph16.jpg
117 KB, 600x930
>>43578021
Well, the books describe their ships appearing, opening fire, and then vanishing before any kind of response can be mustered. And being weirdly maneuverable. They're also the only faction that can FTL without a node at the destination point. So yeah they pretty Necron - they've even uploaded themselves into uncanny valley cyborg bodies, haven't they (I always imagine PHR agents as pic related)?

Of course it's possibly that they'll be tough AND maneuverable but expensive as fuck.
>>
Will the starter set come with launch assets, or are those bolt-on only?
>>
>>43578095
They're not uploaded, they're just cyborgs.

Also remember that Andy chambers is the man behind BFG...which, cool as it was, also had Necrons and the Orks in the game.
>>
>>43578356

Bolt On, they're probably cardboard counters like they were in BFG in the core set.
>>
>>43579690
Thanks; I'd probably get the plastic assets if they weren't standardized across the factions
>>
File: Freespace_by_al_Adam.jpg (317 KB, 1172x692) Image search: [Google]
Freespace_by_al_Adam.jpg
317 KB, 1172x692
>>43579750
I hope they arn't.
Pic related is how I want my UCM to look.
>>
>>43579820
>I hope they arn't.
They are, as of now Hawk is only producing one fighter model, one bomber model, and one torpedo model.

Their rational is that making faction specific assets isn't worth it because the assets are so small (<1 cm in the case of fighters and bombers)
>>
>>43578095
Maybe they will just have shitloads of close action weapons or have shitty sensors but great movement. I mean, poseable maneuvering fins does seem to indicate maneuverability is important.
>>
>>43578095
>>43580267
Dave did say that the factions wont play exactly like the tabletop versions beyond very base level of UCM is allround, Scourge is Aggressive, PHR are tough, and Shaltari have shenanigans

So its possible PHR will be some speedy and have fewer weapons than UCM or something..
>>
>>43581093
To be honest, it doesn't look like they have fewer weapons. Just less front-mounted ones.
>>
>>43581302
Oh yes well thats to be Expected, a description of them early on was maximum broadsides
>>
>>43581336
Maybe they've got great turning and super long range but relatively low speed.
>>
>>43580267
>>43581093
>>43581822
I think they're going to fill a "flanker" role; get in quick, dodge enemy forward fire, stay behind them, fill their asses with grapeshot.
>>
>>43581938
So maneuverability and close range heavy damage maybe. Seems interesting.

So on the issue of painting, what is everyone planning for their fleets? You going for a similar look as the models on the site, or something else?
>>
>>43584766
>So on the issue of painting, what is everyone planning for their fleets?
Considering how we have about 6 months before the stuff ships, I haven't thought too much about it.

I'm thinking of doing something like what they have for the UCM, but a medium grey for the main color, maybe some dark green, dark red, or dark grey for secondary.

As for the Scourge, I've been toying around with the idea of making hem pink, purple, green, and blue, almost like coral.

PHR, probably just go with their standard off-white and silver, maybe some kind of electric/techno blue armor if the off-white doesn't look good.

Shaltari, maybe a more reddish or purplish variant of their normal scheme.
>>
I have a hard time listening to their jawing on in the videos. Can someone give me a run-down on gameplay?
>>
>>43585429
Fleets are comprised of battlegroups, all of which are comprised of various ships (we don't know what restrictions there are yet, nor if ships are organized into squadrons).

At game start, each battlegroup is assigned a number, from 1 to however many battlegroups there are; you place numbered tokens (or more likely, dice) in your deployment zone, and decide in which order battlegroups will enter the field (your enemy does not know what battlegroups are made of what ships).

You and your opponent have a stack of cards, each labeled for each battlegroup. You decide, in secret, the order of the cards, and place the stack face down on the table. At the start of the round, you and your opponent flip the top card up; whichever of those two battlegroups has the lower command value (points cost) is allowed to choose whether to go first or second; after both battlegroups have done their actions in order, the next cards are flipped up, and so forth. If the battlegroups have the same command value, they roll off.

Ships must move a minimum amount per turn, and are able to turn regardless of how far they moved.

There are three orbital levels (high, low, and atmospheric), with larger ships being unable to enter the atmospheric levels, and to-hit penalties being applied for shooting at ships in differing levels; in addition, ships move slower in lower levels.
>>
>>43585630
As of now, there are 7 orders available to ships, and these are declared upon a battlegroup's activation, all ships in that battlegroup must either use that order, or use standard orders.

As of now, we know of:

Standard orders: no penalties or bonuses, ships go down to normal energy output.

Weapons free: the ship gets a minor (energy) spike, and is allowed to fire all weapons.

Full thrust: the ship gets a minor spike, and is allowed to move twice its normal move distance (with twice the require minimum distance)

Hold position: ship does not have a minimum move distance

Silent running: ships gets a negative/cool(?) spike, and can't move as far or fire weapons.

There are 4 types of energy signatures: standard, minor spike (+6), major spike(+12), and silent running/cool(-6): minor spikes make a ship easier to hit, major spikes much more so, and silent running makes them harder to hit.

Ships have a scanner range and a signature: an attacking ship's weapon's range is determined by the ship's scanner range plus the signature size of the target ship (modified by spikes, if any)
>>
>>43585640
As of now, we know of 3 primary weapon types: cannons, lasers/burn-throughs, and close action.

Cannons: roll to hit, if you roll two or more above the target it's a critical hit, and that shot pierces armor and does direct damage. The defending player gets to roll armor saves against all non-critical hits.

Lasers: roll to hit, if you hit, roll the die again (and keep the previous roll), keep rolling until you don't hit; if a roll is a critical hit, all consecutive hits are critical as well. Defending player rolls armor saves against non-criticals as normal.

Close Action: Unlike cannons and lasers, close action weapons can only be fired at ships within the sensor range of the attacking ship. Attacker rolls to hit, defender rolls Point Defense saves against all shots that hit; any successful PD saves negate a hit; all remaining non-critical hits have armor saves as normal, and criticals do direct damage.

This is as much as we know of the rules right now; if you want exact numbers and details, the videos are worth watching if you can sit through them.
>>
>>43569357

It's fine to ">inb4" your own post, just don't "/thread" it.
>>
>>43559796
Read the label. It's a 2-up. It's a collector's item that is twice the size of the actual model.
>>
>>43585690
I know, that still doesn't change the fact that I'm not made of money
>>
>>43584766
Considering glossy black with silver highlights and purple eyes for my scourge.
>>
>>43585630
>>43585640
>>43585647
Hmm, interesting. Thank you. The models caught my eye, since they are an improvement over Dropzone's, but space sleet games are hit-or-miss with their rules for me.
>>
>>43584766
Probably going to paint the cruisers and frigates certain colors to more easily differentiate between them from a distance. little yellow red or green stripes and such to tell someone which is a heavy cruiser, normal cruiser or light cruiser.
>>
>>43584766
im gonna paint em in a scheme thats similiar to my DZC forces more or less so that it feels more fitting when I run a giant narrative campaign or something
>>
>>43584766

I think the standard colors here look great. I really dig the bluish grey color on the UMC stuff. Reminds me vaguely of the systems alliance stuff from ME. Provided they don't blend it then should be fine with maybe some fun detail markings or lights and stuff.
>>
>>43584766
I might go for a Homeworld paint scheme.

I cant decide if I want to go for a Vaygr paint job with all the strips, Hiigarran/Kushan, or the Turranic Raiders with the tiger stripe.
>>
>>43588806
The UCM ships are too smooth to look good in Homeworld schemes in my opinion. I felt that they always looked so good because they went well with the angular nature of the ships.
Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.