[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DnD 5e Cheese Strategies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (1 MB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 640x1136
Me and my friends are starting a 5th Edition campaign and I want some real cheese class/race combos. Last time I played a Half-Orc Rogue with Sneak attack crits and Savage Attack
>>
>5e
>cheese
What's cheesy about about a half-orc rogue?
>>
>>43544200
Human Variant Arcana Domain cleric. Take Magic Initiate (druid) as your bonus feat. Congratulations, Wisdom is the only stat you care about now.
>>
>>43546691

Basically Savage attacks make it to where instead of adding one extra damage die to your damage roll, you add two for normal crits. A rogue's sneak attack counts as part of their damage dice, and assassin rogues are guaranteed a crit if the target is surprised.

Assuming you're max level and are using a dagger (for simplicity's sake), on a crit you are dealing 3d4+30d6+(dex/str mod) damage, not to mention that Assassin's also have a archetype feat that allows them to double that damage if the target fails a Con save.

It's a surefire way of taking a massive chunk of health off of something, though that's given you actually hit it, but I wouldn't call it cheesy. Rogues are meant to be bursty, as they only get one attack, two if they're dual wielding.
>>
deep gnome abjurer. At level 4 take that deep gnome only feet. Now you regenerate your force field super fast.

Diviner wizard with lucky. Really friggin hard to kill. Vulnerable to lots of small attacks though. Still, will almost always survive long enough to get out of the way.

At high levels necromancers can be OP. A horde of skeletons can do a ton of damage. Possibly more than any other class.

Sorclock gattling gun.

Simulacrum spell. Its ridiculous.

True polymorph. Only a problem at lvl 17+, but still. You can make a black hole? Even if you ignore stuff like that, you can turn a gelatinus cube into a cube of gold. Infinite money.

Wish. Any spell in one action, including simulacrums of yourself.

Lucky palladin. Cannot die. Lvl 2 diviner with Lucky Palladin. Kinda MAD, but seriously for realz will never die once it gets its +cha to all saves aura. I duno if this is really cheese but I kinda like the idea. I think 2 levels of diviner + lucky and then going into a beefy class will probably be impossible to kill.
>>
Not sure, but I think you're mistaking weapon's damage dice for damage dice
>>
>>43547796
This>>43547925

The half orc feature say "weapon damage dice"
So this trick doesn't work. You get more damage by being an half rock, yeah, but it isn't cheese tier
>>
>>43544200
Monk open hand 17/Wizard Diviner 2

With portent if you roll a bad enough roll you get a free "die like a bitch" card combined with quivering palm
>>
>>43548105
At those levels creatures have legendary resistances, add lucky feat to that build.
>>
>>43548140
You're a 17th lvl monk, you have enough use of Stunning Strike to blow through legendary resistance.
>>
>>43548159
>3 ki per quivering palm use
>3 legendary resistances
>So 9 wasted ki
>3 extra for the last quivering palm
>12 ki assuming you didn't FoB to have more chances to hit, or to survive using dodge because you're next to him for 3 turns at best
That trick can work, but by a whisker if you aren't careful with your ki
>>
Guild Artisan background, pick cheesemaker for your guild business.

>class/race
Cheese is for all people, regardless of color or status.
>>
>>43548243
/thread
>>
>>43548243
>Actually did this once, just decided "fuck it" and picked it as my BG
>Whole party dies except for my character
>everyone else makes new characters, decide mine instead settles down and makes cheese.
>still come to all the sessions as that character
>dm: Okay what are you doing now?
>i'm milking the goat
its funny because when i roll to see how much i get from selling the cheese ive gotten high rolls each time, i've gotten about 800 gold from it all.
>>
>>43548476
What's the point then, if nobody else is settled down?
>>
>>43548238
No, no. You use Stunning Strike to blow through legendary resistance.
If he let stunning pass, he's fucked because he can do nothing for one turn. So he won't.
Since you got 4 attack a turn with FoB you got four chances of stunning, so blowing one legendary save, by turn.

If you're lucky, you do it in three ki points.
>>
>>43548105
this can be reduced to

2 lvls Diviner + any save or lose
>>
>>43547848
What is this Sorclock gatling gun of which you speak?
>>
>>43549312
Warlock 2/Sorcerer X.

Quickened Eldritch blast all day erryday.
>>
>>43549312
I think he means quickened eldritch blast for 8 blasts per turn at 17th level
>>
>>43547848
>impossible to kill
HP loss
>>
File: SimpsonsKrusty.jpg (93 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
SimpsonsKrusty.jpg
93 KB, 512x384
>>43547796

To build upon what...
>>43547925
>>43547989
...said

Reading the PHB;
>Savage Attacks. When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon's damage dice one additional time and add it lo the extra damage of the critical hit.
>roll one of the weapons damage dice one additional time
>weapons damage dice
>one additional time
>one

My interpretation is that Savage Attacks only works with melee weapon dice and not just damage dice (such as from sneak attack). But even if it DID work with sneak attack and your dagger both at the same time as though they were two separate melee weapon attacks your level 20 rogue would be critting for 3d4 + 21d6 + dex/str instead of 2d4 + 20d6 +dex/str for a total of 6 more average damage.

>Not very cheesy

If you want to actually cheese savage attacks you need to be using a 1d10 or 1d12 weapon die 2 handed weapon and be a Champion Fighter, and even then it isn't all that cheesy because you're still only talking 5.5 or 6.5 average damage per crit, which are admittedly pretty frequent.
>>
>>43549425
Can't you only take one bonus action per turn?
>>
>>43549848
Yes and?
Action = EB (4 bolts)
Bonus action = Quickened EB (4 bolts)
Total = 8 bolts
>>
File: 1408655883457.jpg (101 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
1408655883457.jpg
101 KB, 400x500
not op, but I'm curious what's the cheesiest thing you can do with a level 16 starting character, campaign is currently set in the nine hells, so essentially all the enemies are going to be demons.
probably demons with shittons of AC and health at that because the DM likes epic fights.
>>
>>43550039
oh this is easy. Forbiddnace ritual. All day every day. Also, antipathy. Litterally cast it once a day for 9 days in advance. The spell lasts 10 days. Every devil has to make 9 saving throws or else flee from you.
Wizards and clerics are incredibly powerful when fighting outsiders, if they know which ones they are going to fight, which they often will due to 1) Divination spell, 2) contact other plane spell
>>
>>43550039
Arcane cleric
>>
>>43550259
Does arcane banishing work if you're on the fiend's home plane?
>>
>>43550259
>>43550357
Pretty sure it doesn't, fairly useless suggestion
>>43550205
hm, alright. how about on the ninth level where spells can fizzle? just texted my DM, looks like the end all of the campaign is there.
>>
>>43550039

Your DM's idea of "epic fights" is to just make enemies bullet sponges?
>>
>>43550565
He also has around 40 more smaller ones and apperently gave out some pretty bitching magic gear (joined a little late) but yeah. Seems like bullet sponges with some pretty nasty attacks once they hit lower health.
>>
File: 8W_jyh3_fq4.jpg (18 KB, 380x250) Image search: [Google]
8W_jyh3_fq4.jpg
18 KB, 380x250
>>43547796
>Being this fucking dumb.
>>
One build I haven't tried because "forever DM but it sounds pretty neat" is 3 Paladin (Devotion is the most thematic, but any of them is fine) / 17 Warlock (Book or Weapon)-Undying Light

Mostly because of the thing that lets you add CHA damage to fire/radiant spells

Book Version, 20 CHA
Use Shillelagh
Cast Divine Favor
Cast Green Flame Blade
Expend a 5th level Pact Magic slot for smite

First Target
1d8+5 burgeoning + 2d8+5 fire + 1d4+5 radiant + 5d8 radiant
Second Target
2d8+10 fire

9.5 bludgeoning, 14 fire, 7.5 radiant and 22.5 radiant
19 fire to second target
72.5 damage, 53.5 single target, 50 w/o Smite, 31 single w/o smite

Pactblade Version 20 CHA, 16 STR,
Great Sword
Cast Divine Favor
Cast Green Flame Blade
Expend a 5th level Pact Magic slot for smite

First Target
2d6+3 slashing + 5 necrotic + 2d8+5 fire + 1d4+5 radiant + 5d8 radiant
Second Target
2d8+10 fire

10 slashing, 5 necrotic, 14 fire, 7.5 radiant and 22.5 radiant
19 fire to second target
78 damage. 59 single target, 55.5 w/o Smite, 36.5 single w/o smite

Double attack instead of Green Flame
20 slashing, 10 necrotic, 15 radiant and 22.5 radiant
67 Damage, 45 w/o Smite

Not all that cheesy, but you get to be a pretty flavorful "full caster" gish in heavy armor.
>>
>>43552145
I fucked up on Green Flame, should be another d8 on each hit/ 4.5 average damage
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.