[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me, Doctor, why does the commissioning plaque for a starship
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: Elim_Garak,_2375.jpg (85 KB, 417x406) Image search: [Google]
Elim_Garak,_2375.jpg
85 KB, 417x406
Tell me, Doctor, why does the commissioning plaque for a starship named for a Brazilian city bear the quote of an American lawyer?
>>
>>43543950
Because national borders don't really exist anymore on Earth. Humans are humans.
>>
>>43543950

I wasn't aware that you were that interested in Earth's history. Quite unusual for a Cardassian tailor, wouldn't you say Mr Garak?
>>
>>43543950
Wait. This is an excuse me thread, isn't it?
>>
Dukat did nothing wrong!
>>
>>43543950
Does it matter? The San Paulo was renamed to the Defiant anyway.
>>
>>43546281
Muh ten bajillion bjorunz!
>>
>>43543950
>why does the commissioning plaque for a starship named for a Earth city bear the quote of an Earthling lawyer?

I don't understand the question.
>>
I don't know. Whatever happened to those retarded headsets you guys used to wear?
>>
>>43543950
DS9 sucked...
>>
>>43543950
Starfleet manufacturers probably just draw names and quotes from a big hat of pretentious shit.
>>
>>43549581

It had its ups and downs but you've got a have a pretty bad case of plebianism to say it sucked.
>>
File: yeah dats mah boi.jpg (35 KB, 620x406) Image search: [Google]
yeah dats mah boi.jpg
35 KB, 620x406
>>43550726
>>
>>43549649
Not necessarily. One of the Enterprises' plaques quoted Buckaroo Banzai.
>>
>>43546249
What's wrong with a blue collar worker knowing foreign cultures? 4chan is full of unemployed people who know all sorts of things.
>>
>>43546260

Fuck, it's evolving.
>>
>>43551984
>Buckaroo Banzai
>Not a b-movie with delusions of grandeur and a whole lot of pretension
>>
>>43552388
No, it's dying. Death throws made in order to try and bypass that most people just filter the threads now.
>>
>>43549581
You misspelled Voyager.
>>
>>43552471
Voyager was one of the best series, though.
>>
>>43552471
Voyager was the best Star Trek because it was a diverse and...you know what, I can't do this even if I'm trolling, Voyager was just that bad.
>>
>>43552458
Let's not assume this thread has any connection, and let's just leave it at that.

And it's "throes".
>>
Mirror, Mirror is widely acknowledged as one of TOS' best episode, and it had spock with a beard.

TNG got significantly better after Season 2 started, when Riker grew a beard

DS9 gets significantly better after Season 4 starts, because Sisko grows a beard and they added a bearded main character

No one on Voyager or Enterprise had beards, and they weren't very good

No one in the new movies has beards, and they such.

Quality of Star Trek directly corresponds to the presence of beards.
>>
>>43553057
*and they suck. Mobile 4chan is pain.
>>
>>43553057
>Idris Elba is going to be in next Trek movie
if he has a beard it will be the best ST movie since Wrath of Khan
>>
File: 1411061117428.jpg (69 KB, 875x492) Image search: [Google]
1411061117428.jpg
69 KB, 875x492
>>43553128
>no access to your archive of reaction images
>terrible UI
>captions if you haven't gotten a pass on your mobile

I hear you, Anon.
>>
>>43553176
I'm more interested in how many beards that 2017 CBS series will have.
>>
>>43553200
Who gives a fuck, it'll all be through their paid streaming site. Only the first episode will air on TV
>>
>>43543950

The USS Sao Paulo was an in-joke reference to the film The Sand Pebbles, which features the USS San Pablo. (Star Trek Monthly issue 56, p. 11) The name was selected by Ron Moore, who also wrote the ship's introduction (originally, for "Tacking Into the Wind", prior to the scene being moved). (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion, p. 693)

The Sao Paulo's motto was "Give me Liberty or give me Death...", a quote by Patrick Henry. The ship was "named for the people of Brazil." This motto is in the same spirit as the famous words "IndependĂȘncia ou Morte" ("Independence or Death") said by Dom Pedro I, when he declared Brazil's independence from Portugal. Sao Paulo ("Saint Paul") was a city in Brazil. However, the ship wasn't actually named after the city. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion, p. 693)
>>
>>43553754
That's how TV is getting these days. The streaming services are splitting everything up; shows on Netflix eventually won't be on Amazon Prime, or CBStream or whatever they wanna call it.
>>
>>43551984
That's the Excelsior, actually, at least for the Movie Era. By TNG the Hathaway bore that phrase.

The Enterprise in its various forms always bore "to boldly go..."
>>
>>43554070
>That's how TV is getting these days. The streaming services are splitting everything up; shows on Netflix eventually won't be on Amazon Prime, or CBStream or whatever they wanna call it.
I give it about five years before the entire system collapses because no one wants to pay a hundred bucks a month to watch streamed TV because every channel demands its own 10bux a month.
>>
>>43543950
What quote?
>>
>>43546281
Except for not keeping his crinkle-nose fetish in his pants.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.