[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone ever done a good campaign based around aquatic enemies?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8
Anyone ever done a good campaign based around aquatic enemies? Maybe a Dagon-esque campaign focused around island trekking and fishing villages?

Also, general sea monster thread.
>>
File: Bad Day to be Sailing.png (327 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Bad Day to be Sailing.png
327 KB, 1024x768
>>43542807

No-one? Will bump with sea monster pics.
>>
>>43542807
Sort of hard to do as the majority of them turn into railroaded TPKs.
>>
File: Dr Newman.jpg (62 KB, 370x519) Image search: [Google]
Dr Newman.jpg
62 KB, 370x519
Fishermen along the Massachusetts coast complain about freak black algae blooms destroying and contaminating their catch. A young research biologist from Miskatonic University in Arkham is dispatched to investigate. He sets up a small lab in an Innsmouth barn while going out on boats with the fishermen to gather samples. After a few weeks his reports start becoming erratic and disturbed. At the same time fishermen start to vanish and whole boats are lost or found adrift and empty.

The PCs are gathered by their old professor/friend who is the head of biology at Miskatonic. They are asked to meet the researcher at Innsmouth, assess his mental state and his work, and report back within the day by telegram. The police has begun an investigation into the researcher's doings after local opinion has turned against him. The press has gotten interested and if there is a story out there that the university was somehow involved in deaths it could devastate the funding for essential research.

That was before the Coast Guard got involved...
>>
File: deep_one_by_uncannyknack.jpg (173 KB, 1024x663) Image search: [Google]
deep_one_by_uncannyknack.jpg
173 KB, 1024x663
>>
File: Dagon too deep.jpg (99 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
Dagon too deep.jpg
99 KB, 640x427
>>
>>43542807
Crraaaaab peeeeeeople, craaaaaaab peeeeople
>>
>>43542807
part of the Savage Tide adventure path dealt with traveling to an island full of dinosaurs and an aboleth city under it.

On the way to the island the party's ship gets caught in a sargrasso field that's alive and hungry.
>>
I ran a pretty good long one. What do you want to know? I can't really storytime the whole thing.
>>
>>43542807
I don't honestly how to make animals interesting. All they do is make way for murderhobos.
>>
File: naga.jpg (214 KB, 900x1199) Image search: [Google]
naga.jpg
214 KB, 900x1199
>>43542807
friend of mine ran a pretty good one few years ago. Based around Naga, pic related.

There were a few elements that made it terrifying. I don't remember a lot of the details, but i remember that it was the smallest game our group ever ran; just me, one other PC, and the GM. Made it feel very impactful for some reason, don't think i've played something that small since.

Also, we weren't super experienced at that stage, and our narratives where pretty run of the mill.

The Naga story felt like a Cthulhu narrative. PC's both got a job working for a crazy old fisherman, i think we ran across the Naga while fishing one time. We quickly got swallowed in this conspiracy in which the aquatic race were massing to take back the land; they were amphibian and harbouring an ancient grudge. Really fantastic sense of helplessness; we were just two people. we kept riding to coastal towns to warn them and often found them razed already, it felt like we were fighting the end of the world in a very unique way.

eventually we tried diplomacy and realized that it was only one faction of the Naga trying to invade. Another faction started helping us, we sailed out to meet them at one point and our ship got sunk.

The whole campaign was intended as set up for another, larger scale campaign, but i don't think we ever got to it. People moved cities, etc.
>>
>>43542807 (OP)
I once did underwater arc in my campaign, players needed to reach some faraway place, ship gets sunk by sahuagins and players & crew captured to become living sacrifices in an upcoming ceremony (which also explained why players were magiced up into breathing underwater). As you can reasonably expect, players escaped the prison, waltzed through sahuagin city, ruined Dagon's temple, startled a massive kraken and eventually fled through a mysterious portal in the middle of the ocean bed. Portal took them to a lake in some continent, and there was an odd village by that lake.

That was the time to blatantly abuse the fact none of my players had read Shadow over Innsmouth.
>>
>>43549741
that's not a deep one
>>
Played most of an entire campaign on a voyaging canoe.
>>
File: image.jpg (183 KB, 1274x534) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
183 KB, 1274x534
>>43542807

Played a D&D adventure that was essentially the movie "The Fog" (1980). Worked really well. Would make for a good Cthulhu module too.
>>
File: 1423098171232.jpg (495 KB, 1700x2200) Image search: [Google]
1423098171232.jpg
495 KB, 1700x2200
>>
>>43542807
Do you folks prefer sahuagin or kuo-toa in terms of bloodthirsty fishpeople?
>>
>>43556462
They grow bigger as they get old.
>>
>>43557496

sauce. now.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.