[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wargame settings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: lostship.jpg (843 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
lostship.jpg
843 KB, 1680x1050
What could be the best setting for a skirmish wargame that you can imagine?

For me one of the best was Mordheim, a destroyed city filled with loot makes a nice arena for clashing small warbands bent on control of the richest places of the ruins.

But what about new settings? How about uncommon settings for skirmish wargames, that nobody has ever used but you think are cool ideas?

I'm talking mostly about fantasy skirmish, ancient/medieval style, but it could also be sci fi, modern, pre-historic or whatever the hell you like.

I'm asking because we're planning a campaign with some friends, and we'd love to use more or less generic rules in different settings and see how it goes from there. We could even turn the wargame into some sort of RPG mix and whatnot.

Pic somewhat related, how about an Island? Or maybe a lost colony? Adventurers seeking riches from lost galleons or colonies that were abandoned for mysterious reasons?
>>
Is this thread too unatractive?
>>
Frostgrave does the Mordheim lost city except... frozen. Mordheim itself had some expansions: Karak Azgal was an abandoned Dwarven city underground, Lustria was obviously a New World continent, Khemri was all about tomb-robbing in the desert.

Helldorado is literally set in Hell, which humanity invaded sometimes during the Crusades in that universe. I think Malifaux has something similar, with adventurers travelling into a nightmarish other realm for fun and profit.
>>
>>43541033
I also remember there was the Empire in Flames, which was obviously set in the Empire, like the outskirts and whatnot.

I think those are cool locations, but what about the settings behind them? What are the players? What's the motivation of the warbands?
>>
>>43541033
>frozen

You don`t have to include the frozen theme at all.
>>
>>43540440
>How about uncommon settings for skirmish wargames

>Spanish Conquistadors vs Aztecs
>Roman Gladiators
>100-year-war

But overall, the idea of a sunken city is the most appealing to me. It hasn't to be Mordheim or Frostgrave. Just a generic city where different parties try to gather riches. Frostgrave rules deliver that, you could even let the mages out and play it with historical miniatures (for example romans vs greeks fighting over the ruins of some sunken temple)
>>
>>43542773
I've always thought the problem with ancient style skirmish is that you cannot include unit types like hoplites, legionaries, and most of the troops of the ancient times because they relied heavily on formation.

About sunken ruins, I think it could be a cool idea. The discovery theme is pretty strong with these kind of games.

Maybe a new continent with long gone empires?
>>
>>43542773
>>43543316

You guys need to visit the historical wargames general. We've got all sorts of skirmish wargames to suit any time period or scale.
>>
>>43540440
One of my favorite settings ever is Warbirds, or at least the idea behind it: dieselpunk skylands.
>>
I've always liked the idea of Roanapur-like cities with a number of factions vying for control over them and sending hit squads and shit to take things over all the time.

Something like the 3rd XCOM game but set in 40k and with faction selection and more aggressive AI would be great.

Guerilla warfare in fantasy cities is fun too, then you have magic and fantasy races to do stuff with. Stuff like vampires who only have shitty henchmen at day and then uber vampires at night, or overzealous fanatics going door to door cleansing streets SWAT style.

I suppose you can do those in modern day stuff too but doesn't feel as right.
>>
>>43545927
I like that. Maybe criminal gangs in an ancient/medieval city? That would be cool, even for low fantasy. Different gangs with different interests, with different specialities. Maybe the vampires as you say, some sort of racial minorities (that could be traditional or not traditional fantasy races), all trying to get a hold on part of the criminal underground.
>>
>>43544259
I've never seen a historical ancient skirmish wargame
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.