[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
That Guy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11
File: Hide_Me.jpg (146 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Hide_Me.jpg
146 KB, 640x640
So, I have this guy in my campaing.
He doesn't really like the how the party is going, because the Paladin, the Cleric and the Mage don't want to be murderhobos.
And when he told me that he would try to kill them 1 by 1 i just said to him "You can try".
And he started going all out on me, saying that i would cheat on the dice rolls making him fail everything and that I'm a godawful dm because I wouldn't let him do whatever he wants.
Do I have a case of That Guy or I'm really an awful DM?
P.S. i never cheat on dice rolls. Sometimes i even let players roll when they keep rolling only really low.
I'd post the whole conversation here, but i don't know how well you guys understand italian.
>>
>>43538151

Tell him "I don't need to cheat to kill you. Also, we'd prefer it if you didn't play with us any more."
>>
>>43538151
>kill them 1 by 1
Definetely a that guy.

Tell him to make a character that works with the party or leave the group.
>>
tell him that the game he wants to play is not the game you're running, and he can play along or find a new game.

hopefully he leaves of his own volition.
>>
>>43538212
The "funny" part is that his character wouldn't behave like this, since it's a true neutral, wich he made to adapt to the group without going all righteous and shit.
>>
File: blam.jpg (293 KB, 883x593) Image search: [Google]
blam.jpg
293 KB, 883x593
>>43538151
PvP is godawful in RPGs and you should never consider it.

Except when both players are mature adults (and they've proven it), then you may have a little bit of PvP. If, however, they aren't... the game is very likely to dissolve, along with the group.

Therefore, if you value your group you are going to put your foot down, be a grown ass man and tell him straight up, looking him dead-center in the eyes "This game works like this. This group works like this. If you don't like it, leave."

That's how you deal with these kind of people. Be calm, be assertive and keep it civil... at least as long as the offender keeps it that way too.

Hope it works out for you, OP.
>>
File: 1446754043774.gif (531 KB, 245x168) Image search: [Google]
1446754043774.gif
531 KB, 245x168
Me and my friends are in the process of making a That Guy.
We've encouraged his magical realm.
We've buckled when he goes full rule lawyer
We've tolerated his Mary-Sue Character

Why? We plan on weaponizing him against another That Guy who is DMing.
>>
File: machiavellian.jpg (163 KB, 1940x900) Image search: [Google]
machiavellian.jpg
163 KB, 1940x900
>>43538369
Oh my god
Thats just machiavellian
>>
>>43538151
Go ahead and post the chatlog, I'm sure someone will be able to understand it. And even just trying will be good practice for me.
>>
>>43538151
He's being That Guy. Firmly but politely tell him that he can either quit his bullshit or he can leave.

Now, I need some advice on dealing with a player in my own game. I wouldn't call him a That Guy at all, but I know he's become disheartened with the direction the game's going and wants to leave the game for good. I've told him to do so if he really wants to, but he's being a bit of a mopey bitch and says he'd just cause a fuss if he did. I don't want to kick him out either, because that'd just cause even more drama. It's not really a huge issue, but it is putting a strain on my campaign when we have to wait for him to rock up and he barely contributes to the game outside of rolling combat dice. I'm considering having him get targeted by enemies so that he gets killed off faster and he has a pretext for quitting, but I feel like that'd be a dick move on my part. What do?
>>
>>43538151
Postalo pure se vuoi.
>>
>>43538624
That Guy: La campagna di buonisti no, Dio
Io giuro che prima o poi li ammazzerò
OP: KEK
Te vorresti andartene in giro ad ammazzare tutti
Freakkin' Murderhobo
That Guy: Nah
Solo non voglio una cazzo di campagna di perbenisti
Big keks to you.
OP:Dovrai allearti con Tizio(suo fratello) e provare a convincere Caio, mi sa.
That Guy:Tizio mi sta sul cazzo
Ruola da coglione montato
DM:Solo perchè ti ha detto "Mooo"? (That Guy ha un minotauro)
Non è che abbia fatto sto gran che da montato, anzi D:
Quando avete dovuto fare irruzione nella villa avete potuto fare il bordello senza prendere troppi danni grazie a Tizio e a Sempronio
E te che non ti riuscivano a toccare
That Guy:Coso
Sentivi come parlava?
Oltre lo spam di moo e mucca che lo faceva solo per farmi innervosire
DM:Credo
E dico credo
Volesse stimolarti a buttarti a testa bassa nella villa
That Guy: Se continua penso che lo ammazzo però eh
Come farò con gli altri, uno ad uno
DM: Libero di provarci
Sei 1 contro 5
That Guy: Infatti ho detto uno ad uno
Non solo contro tutti
DM:Ripeto
Libero di provarci
That Guy: Tanto non me lo farai fare
Lo so
DM:Io ripeto ancora
Libero di provarci
That Guy: Lo ripeto ancora
Non me lo fai fare.
DM: Ma 1. Il tuo pg non avrebbe motivo
Quindi ti cambierei l'allineamento
2. Libero di provarci
Sei te che lo stai dicendo.
That Guy: Ti conosco, faccio il roll, lo tari e lo fai diventare bassissimo
DM:E allora non mi conosci affatto, visto che non vi ho taroccato manco un tiro.
Ve li ho pure fatti rifare alcuni quando sbagliavate a pressione.
Se devi fare lo stronzetto butthurtato ora datti una calmata.
E ti ripeto ancora una volta
Libero di provarci
That Guy: Stronzetto butthurtato?
Dio porco schifoso lurdo bastardo inculato dalla madonna
Leggi bene quando uno scrive
DM: Datti una cazzo di calmata.
Mi stai dando del baro perchè non ti sto dicendo "fai quello che vuoi ammazzali tutti"
Secondo te mi fa piacere sta cosa?

E continua, ancora. Per un bel po'.
>>
File: LIQUID!!.jpg (13 KB, 225x360) Image search: [Google]
LIQUID!!.jpg
13 KB, 225x360
>>43538369
Project Codename: That Guy!!?
>>
>>43538369
D E V I L I S H
E
V
I
L
I
S
H
>>
>>43539034
Penso che se lo butti fuori, ti risparmi un sacco di problemi.

Translation: I think that if you boot him you'll avoid lots of problems.
>>
>>43539083
Si sta dando una calmata, probabilmente se ne andrà lui, se non riuscirà a chiarirsi col gruppo.
La cosa sinceramente mi dispiace, anche perchè è il mio miglior amico, è di solito è molto più ragionevole.
Oggi si è svegliato con la luna storta, ma si sta calmando.

Translation: Probably he will left on is own, if he doesn't make it clear with the whole party.
It saddens me a lot, since he's my best friend, but if he doesn't like how this is going he is not obliged to stay at the table.
He's calming down, luckily, He just is in a really bad mood today.
>>
>>43538608
Well, if he isn't trying to crash your game or anything, just give him something that will make him excited. Insert a subquest or something that's about his character, his past and his future. If even this isn't going to work, you should talk to him about this.
>>
>>43539156
Ah, capisco. è un peccato non poter giocare con i propri amici, ma talvolta succede: anche io eviterei di giocare se loro dimostrassero di essere those guys.

Ah, I understand: it's a shame not being able to play with friends, but it happens sometimes: I'd also avoid playing with them if they show to be those guys.
>>
>>43539156
Not the poster you're responding to btw, just a little curious on /tg/ in other countries
What's the Italian /tg/ scene like? Are there many games stores around? What system do most people play?
>>
>>43539229
Italian RPGers aren't very open about their hobby and they mostly game D&D, Pathfinder, Vampire... I've also heard of a group playing cyberpunk or somesuch.

Me, I prefer english groups because I can find absolutely anything there. Just got into M&M with a few guys from other nations... since italians tend to ignore other languages, even english.
>>
>>43539229
>>43539279
Damn right, there's not that much of an open scene.
I managed to know another group of players, whose DM is a close friend of mine, but we live in 2 really far regions, so we can just chat via web or phone.
I tryed once to play with a foreign group on Roll20, but the whole group disbanded after the fourth session because the DM was sick of 3 of the players costantly asking him to let them fuck a horse. Those guys really weirded me out, damn.
>>
File: 1445408295204.jpg (121 KB, 553x369) Image search: [Google]
1445408295204.jpg
121 KB, 553x369
>>43539332
Man, mi dispiace davvero.

I hit the jackpot, for real! I found a stable group and we kick criminal ass every saturday night now! The internet is a bit wonky for our GM, but it always pulled through and so far I'm 10 sessions in and LOVING EVERY ONE OF IT!

We also got a new party member and we beat the shit out of each other, shit's so cash!

You have to increase your luck stat bro
>>
>>43539359
Thanks bro, i appreciate it.

>Luck stat
I lost my luck stat
In a gamble
FUCK
>>
>>43539279
>>43539332
>>43539359
Damn, that sucks. How'd you guys meet your groups? Game store or were you already friends?
>>
>>43539415
My group is actually formed by some of my usual group. It was all working pretty fair and nice, and we were all having a really nice time.
Until the reason for this Thread happened.
Such a shame.
>>
>>43539433
I mean, some of the guys and girls wich i hang our with usually.
Damn, i write like a retard, today.
>>
>>43539444
è bene, io sono sicuro che io scriva come un scimpanzé ritardato quando scrivo in italiano, e non sono sicuro se ho usato il congiuntivo corettamente.
>>
>>43539490
Il congiuntivo è corretto.
Scrivi comunque meglio di molte persone che conosco e che frequentano l'università, don't worry.
>>
File: 1444459110470.gif (100 KB, 260x187) Image search: [Google]
1444459110470.gif
100 KB, 260x187
>>43539332
>the DM was sick of 3 of the players costantly asking him to let them fuck a horse
>>
>>43539034
>butthurtato

Lost my shit
>>
>>43539530
Grazie, sempre sono invidioso della gente che possono parlare un' altra lingua fluentemente.
>>
File: 1439361011200.jpg (461 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
1439361011200.jpg
461 KB, 1024x819
>>43538369
I like your style.
>>
>>43539415
I met mine on Roll20, they had a spot open so I applied.
>>
>>43538369
I demand more details
>>
>>43538369
amazing
>>
One of my players keeps doing stupid shit with his characters. Last session he jumped out of an airship and destroys a dragon with some giant's sword with all the momentum from falling, completely destroying the encounter before anyone else could do anything. We as a Group agreed he can't play barbarian for his future characters.
>>
>>43540055

>he jumped out of an airship and destroys a dragon with some giant's sword with all the momentum from falling

My god
That sounds awesome and stupid as fuck at the same time
>>
>>43540088
He used a fucking feather fall ring to avoid fall damage because of a old house rule we made where you can make a will save to use magic items while in rage.
>>
>>43540055
Dude.
That sounds awesome. The kind of thing people play high fantasy D&D in the first place.

>>43540164
And that is just smart use of rules and house rules.

Basically you guys are grumpy he's done something cool.
>>
>>43540055
I know I saw a greentext of this exact story from the other side yesterday. Let me see if I can find it in archive.
>>
>>43540227
Found it.
>Playing pathfinder
>Titan mauler barbarian
>Slightly modified for balance with rest of the group
>Currently in airship flying towards suspected dragon den.
>Bard spots this huge gargantuan red dragon chilling outside the entrance.
>Dragon doesn't see us since we're like 10,000ft in he air
>I have an idea, swap out my usual large greatsword for a huge 15ft. long greatsword we got off of a giant a few sessions ago and left in a bag of holding.
>Ask to borrow the bard's feather fall ring
>Jump off of the airship
>Swing my sword around until I am standing on it, make the appropriate acrobatics checks with the other players becoming very interested.
>Begin raging
>Red dragon looks up and sees a screaming spec in the sky flying towards him.
>Roll and manage a hit even with the penalties.
>Activate feather fall with a 31 will save to speak the command words while in rage(house rule).
>I ask the GM how much damage near terminal velocity adds to sword damage.
>He groans and picks up a handful of dice, rolls, and sighs.
>"The last thing the dragon sees is a screaming barbarian surfing the sky with on a massive sword before the sword pierces him through the neck, back, and through the stomach in a Gory explosion of blood and scales. A few seconds later a rather excited man gently floats down near the corpse".
>I'm no longer allowed to play barbarian.
>>
>>43540055
What? That's fucking awesome.

How did your whole group not enjoy that happening? Yeah, he took the spotlight for that encounter, but maybe he'll hang back for the next one and let someone else shine.

Giving the spotlight in equal amounts doesn't mean everyone gets their cut of every encounter, but it's balanced throughout the game.

But if you or your players didn't enjoy the outside-of-the-rules thinking this player did, you guys sound stiff as a fucking board.
>>
File: 1440722426077.jpg (10 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1440722426077.jpg
10 KB, 184x184
I'm playing a character with a massive amount of strength, who jumps into fights way too fast, am I that guy?
Context
>Dwarf sees a broken up cart, and a wire leading to the bushes where three bandits are not well hidden
>quietly tells us without alerting them
>pick up the cart and throw it
>cripple one, almost kill another
> a more well hidden bandit leaps out
>get crit, DM rolls open so its fair
>4 HP left
>next turn crit fail on swinging my sword, gets flung out of my hand
>lands in a stump that I carved my name into
>pull out knife and hand crossbow and yell "GIVE ME A TRUE CHALLENGE"
>get crit again
>dont die, but I'm unconscious
>crippled bandit tries to throw a rock, arm lands in a bear trap
>at least I'm not the only one having a bad time.
>Dwarf gets knocked out shortly thereafter
>Monk easily mops up the banditos
I feel bad, but my characters personality is "I'd rather eat my armor than admit I'm wrong" so, should I just buy the medical supplies for the next few times we're in town to make it up to them without admitting guilt?
>>
File: Radical inquisitor.png (110 KB, 895x371) Image search: [Google]
Radical inquisitor.png
110 KB, 895x371
>>43538369
Saved.
>>
>>43538186
>>43538186
>>43538186
>>43538186
Nailed it in one.

If for some reason you have to keep him around, do this:
Roll in the open.

He will bitch and moan when he gets his ass murdered, and will probably still accuse you of cheating, but the best part is that everyone can SEE your dice rolls, so the entire group will turn against him and one of them might even be ballsy enough to tell him "Get out" for you.
>>
>>43538608
Just kick him.

And I'm not saying this to be a hardass, I'm telling you this as someone who's been through THAT situation before.

It won't get better. It will only ever get worse. He's no longer interested, and the attempt to make him interested again will cost way way more than what you'll get back from it. The fact that he's a potential drama creator means he's basically making a very poor cry for help for something, but as you're all adults, he doesn't have a right to kick up a fuss at your table, and it's not something your other players want to be dragged into.

Cut him. Cut him now, cut him gently, but make sure he is cut from the game. Tell him that whenever he feels like playing again and has his life in order he can come back, but he needs to deal with whatever shit is on his plate. Odds are he won't come back. But you'll have better odds of having happier players at the table.

The WORST thing you could do is kill his character in game, or at least not without a discussion of not just him, but with ALL of your players at the table. If you kill his character, then he'll quit, and the other players might see it as a targetted attack and they'll feel less comfortable at the table. Even if you explain it after the fact, the players might just assume that you are making excuses after the fact and that there's something you're hiding from them.
>>
>>43540321
I don't understand which part of that story makes you that guy. Is it because you start fights? As long as you're not starting fights with people who don't deserve it, then you're fine. But running head-first into an encounter while everyone is trying to plan makes for some hilarious story telling.
>>
>>43540592
I almost got me and another person killed in the first session, so I was wondering.
>>
>>43540649
no you just got fucked with crits.
in the game I'm playing currently our bard got critted by a goblin in the first encounter and nearly died.
that shit happens
>>
File: 1446537349235.png (295 KB, 318x462) Image search: [Google]
1446537349235.png
295 KB, 318x462
>>43538369
>The only way to beat a That Guy, is with another That Guy
This... this makes too much sense
>>
>>43538369
I love you anon
>>
>>43538608
Just let him know that you're gonna work towards killing his character so he can leave peacefully.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.