[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has your party ever broken the fourth wall?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: deadpool.jpg.cf.jpg (98 KB, 575x350) Image search: [Google]
deadpool.jpg.cf.jpg
98 KB, 575x350
Have you?

Have you ever seen it done in a way thay wasn't pants-on-head-retarded?
>>
Yes, it's called meta gaming, and no, there is nothing good about it.
>>
>>43535547
Yes, we have and it was fun, as a GM I enjoy doing it about once per campaign or less (1/year).

No, I won't storytime it because you'll just say it's pants on head whatever despite not having been there.

If you want to try it, keep it subtle and let players get there if they want to. Plausible deniability.
>>
>>43536213
Oh, and also, it's totally not metagaming. It's just a line or a scene added on top for a laugh or a moment of realization, all within the mechanics of the game.
>>
>>43535547
It's more fun to do it online in general.

Grumm looks towards the sky and speaks to no one in particular. "That's a terrible fucking idea Matt, if you make Malvorn do that I'll kill him."

Don't know why the DM allowed that to pass. But Grumm made similar comments throughout the campaign and we eventually drugged him up and gave him to a cleric temple to try and fix/contain him.
>>
I don't know how the others felt about it but I once warned an NPC that they would be killed by the GM if they didn't stay with me.
They responded with ". . . What??" but then decided to stick around.
>>
>>43535547
Yes, it is called "cheating" ya dumbass.
>>
My GM had a few NPC's who would do these things on ocasion. Like talking about refridgerators and quoting literature.
Turned out they were deities all along.
>>
I did it once on freeform rpg, based on Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo setting.

My character character notice that one of the player's post are writing on first person. He goes like, "Oh my God! He is writing in first person!"
>>
Closest I've gotten has been something similar to the "Do you think this is a game?" exchange in Jak 3. Aside from being used to snark, I don't really see how you'd pull it off without it being horrible metagaming.
>>
File: cock-a-hoop.jpg (44 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
cock-a-hoop.jpg
44 KB, 500x385
One of the abilities in BCG is getting help from the GM with hints and stuff.

I was running a mecha campaign taking heavily from the 70/80's shows, and "the Narrator" was an entity I used to narrate (which was lifted from Shin Mazinger actually), well, everything, and he had his own comments on the situations. So when one of the player asked for help on where to go, the Narrator just pulled out a map of the town and pointed them in the right direction.

There was a lot of fourth-wall breaking, either involving the Narrator, some of the mechanics in-game or others, as I structured the sessions like mecha anime, obviously. It was pretty fun. One of the allied NPC also made comments from times to times regarding the fourth wall.

Everyone in the party was somewhat aware, but she was probably the most aware of it by virtue of being a NPC and under my control, which carried on when I played here as a PC in another game. Everyone had fun, so I guess it worked out.

There were a few sessions where the group was stuck in a Dynamic Pro-style universe, and oh boy was it something. The villains of this universe were aware of what the group was up to here because they simply watched the VHS tapes the heroes of this universe stored in their labs after stealing them.
>>
>>43539993

That sound real interesting and I sometime wish that I could join your group.
>>
>>43537579
>4th wall breaking jokes are cheating

ok what

>>43538838
I wish this idea the metagaming is avoidable and bad would somehow die. Unless you somehow forget you're playing a game (which is impossible, since you're handling dice and looking at character sheets), metagaming is just part of the game. Condemning it is stupid and pointless.
>>
>>43535547
>playing homebrew campaign with rotating GM
>one of the magic paths features a divination ability
>usually serves as a way to get a hint when the party is stuck because they missed or misunderstood information
>be GMing
>PCs struck because I'm being too cryptic
>rolls for divination
>three dice rolled, three ones
>"You see a dining room. There are four people around the table. Papers, pencils and dice are scattered on the table..."
>proceed to describe the players, then close up on the character's sheet
>the image is blurry and the character's brain refuses to aknowledge the information written
>the whole thing is a deeply unsettling experience and the character gets the hanful of insanity points he is entitled to for fumbling on the spell
>>
>>43540982
Metagaming IS bad- but metagaming is also not cracking fourth wall jokes or being aware of medium. Metagaming is "I KNOW SPECIFICALLY- EVEN THOUGH MY CHARACTER DOESN'T- THIS GUY IS UNTRUSTWORTHY. I WILL RUN WITH MY OWN INFORMATION EVEN THOUGH MY CHARACTER WOULD ACT DIFFERENTLY WITHOUT THE SAME KNOWLEDGE."
>>
File: u016.jpg (321 KB, 1590x1255) Image search: [Google]
u016.jpg
321 KB, 1590x1255
I keep thinking about making a babbling paranoid NPC who can hear whenever dice are rolled.
>>
i accidentally talk to the GM using my in-character voice, sometimes
it's been resolved that my character just talks into midair sometimes
>>
>>43535547
I once made a character who worshiped the Dice Rolling gods and he himself would always carry bone dice to determine his actions which meant i would throw a d6 to see what i do every turn, usually before my turn to not prolong the game.
>>
Interesting question, then. What's the difference between meta-gaming and running a character who is genre-savvy (IE Elan and his family)?
>>
I don't know if it would be breaking the fourth wall exactly... but we did have a session just spiral into a mess of characters from our various other campaigns - current and old - just interacting and shitting up the place.

Off the top of my head, we had a barbarian, a warlock, a psion, a nWoD Demon, an oWoD vamp, a naruto-style ninja, a saiyan, two Super Battle Droids and an Evangelion.

It was retarded but weirdly fun.
>>
We played a game set in the present day in the city we live in, situated in/around the college we go to.

I found myself in-game and beat the shit out of me using my character.
>>
>>43544820
Okay anon, this is what you must do now. Find your character in game again. If he doesn't have a girlfriend, hook him up with someone anonymously.

If he has a girlfriend, than phase 1 is already complete. Next phase it to steal here away, using any means possibly. Now tie the you, in-game up. Now you have sex with his girlfriend in front of yourself in the universe, the ultimate NTR.
>>
>>43535547
I played in a VtM game where our malkavian was actually disturbing and insightful rather than a box of keks.
>>
In a Call of Cthulu game, we did have on party member slowly become aware of the 4th wall as he went more and more insane.

First he began to hear snippets of the players talking (though of course to him, it sounded like horrific maddening black speech he could somehow understand) then he could hear us all the time. Then he began to see the abstractions and rules itself, commenting on what nature of being would pit such horrific monsters on humans for fun before losing the last of his sanity and being retired a gibbering wreck
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.