[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ring of Wish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 399x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 399x600
Level 10 monk with vow of poverty

No magic setting

Got ring of wish

Wat do?
>>
>>43531131
>No magic setting
>Got ring of wish
I...have questions.
>>
>Vow of Poverty

Looks like you're either leaving it where you found it or letting someone else have it.
>>
>>43531131
wish for kickass shades for your entire party and their donkeys, obviously
>>
>>43531155

WISH GRANTED!
>>
>>43531131
Wish he was stronk as fuck, mang.

Those words exact, with the word mang, mang.
>>
Forgot to mention worked out a way around it with DM
>>
It can't belong to you. You can maybe technically hold onto it. The value of thd ring is in its wish granting so as long as you don't make a wish you should be able to hold onto it until it reaches the people who deserve or need it most. If I were your DM that's how I'd let you have it. So long as you don't use it, it has no value to you so I'd say you weren't violating your vow.
>>
>>43531212
That is not how a vow of poverty works.

That would mean they would have to go around completely naked because their clothes have value to the unclothed.

They do not do this, because that would be stupid.
>>
>>43531172
VoP just means you can't use it for yourself. You can carry it around just like you can carry around the gold you plan on giving to the monastery; it's not YOUR gold, it's their's, they just haven't gotten it yet.

Similarly, a wish-granting ring is definitely something I can see a VoP monk wanting to keep ahold of, *especially* in a low/no-magic setting. It's really powerful and should be used towards good ends for the sake of others. It is the world's ring, you're just the bearer. When you figure out how to use it best, you are acting on behalf of the world and not yourself, like a servant buying things for the manor with his master's money.
>>
>>43531267
I could totally see a LG VoP monk giving their meager rags to a naked vagrant.
>>
>>43531267
People who take vow of poverty still get a cut of the loot, they just make it clear their "share" goes to charity or something. They take nothing for themselves, that is what it means. Ifthe ring isn't for himself, then what difference does it make if he's just holding it? So long as he doesn't use it, it's fine in my book. Rules lawyer shit always springs fr this retarded feat.
>>
>>43531212
I can't remember how the feat is written. Technically the value of the item is the enchantment on it, so even if you don't use it, it's still an immensely valuable object and you can't own it.

But yeah, give the wish to the first person who shows kindness, if you wanna be living up to all those tales. Like two peasants give you their last potato soup and crust of bread, so you give them a tree that grows every kind of fruit or something. I think you'd be going against the point if you tried to save it and judge the value of who you're giving the wish to.
>>
>>43531354
Mainly because the writing of the feat is pretty damn vague.
>>
Best use of wish I have ever seen was any wish made by anyone after that point would have the opposite effect of what was asked
>>
>>43531392
Exactly plus it involves morality and ethics, so it's a double wammy of game stopping argument material.
>>
>>43531131
Use it to wish for something entirely unselfish and it's fine.
Wish for everyone to reach enlightenment, or for worldwide prosperity or some shit. Or, hell, wish for the world to be protected from evil as much as the wish can allow.
>>
>>43531282

That's a compelling character. A man who holds a ring of wish, travelling to find the knowledge and wisdom necessary to make the greatest possible wish for the world.
>>
Wishing for instant enlightment for everyone also would mean a lot of immobility. Enlightment comes from the wisdom earned through deep introspection and life experiences; giving everyone instant enlightment would mean everyone probably would stop giving a duck.

Also a world free from its healthy dose of evil would become a tasty target for other realities.

Wishing for a world not free of evil, but free from pain. If there's no suffering then there's no need to be evil. It would create an entire new set of problems though, so that's probably not the best wish.

You can also wish for world that made people learn from their pain instead of repeating the same mistakes over and over; world would be a great deal more good, and it would progress faster too. Don't know if there would be any downsides to this, except that sometimes not learning is the lesson. IDK.
>>
>>43534068
Wish isn't that strong of a spell, in any edition.
>>
>>43531131
Wish for the world to end. Cleanse the world of filth in blissful and eternal darkness.
>>
>>43534090
...Sure, OP technically didn't specify it wasn't a lawful evil monk.
>>
>>43534084
No, but could give a reduced effect.
Kind of how when you use limited wish for something very large you get the "lesser, reasonable substitute version", like in AD&D.

Could be something as simple as a piece of philosophy in the head of every member of a civ from there on, a few nudges in genes that favor certain mutations in sentients...

Just let the DM say what happens.
>>
1. Wish for the wisdom to wish for the right thing to make the world a better place
2. Wish appropriately.
>>
>>43531131
Using it would break the vow. So give it to someone else or donate it.
>>
>>43534148
Vow of Poverty requires you to be good.
>>
>>43534980
So it does. I'll admit to only being peripherally aware to the intricacies of 3rd-era D&D.
Why is it so, though? I mean, because it showed up in that kind of splatbook, if I recall. But it seems like drawing power from asceticism needn't be an exclusively Good trait.
>>
>>43533151
And then he makes the wish, and the poor sod of a djinn is presented with a fifty mile long scroll filled with legalese. Just to make sure everything turns out exactly right.
>>
>>43531131

> monk realizes that a wish is the manifestation of desire, and therefore suffering
> wish for the ring to become made of crudely worked bone, and inert
> since the wish was worthless, this did not violate the oath of poverty
> since the ring is now worthless, wear it as a reminder of a trial overcome
>>
>>43531309
Yeah, but until you actually run into the naked vagrant the clothes are a-okay.
>>
>>43531811
>unselfish

Selfless. The word you are looking for is fucking "selfless".
>>
File: stalker.jpg (362 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
stalker.jpg
362 KB, 1920x1080
>>43531131
Happiness for everyone. For free. And no one leaves unsatisfied.
>>
>>43537309
>>43537424
I honestly don't know which one of these two is the better one. But they are both 10/10.
>>
>>43531811
No don't wish for enlightenment, wish for everyone to know how they might achieve enlightenment for themselves
>>
>>43537729
That's basically the same thing.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.