[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General - Shiny Warlock Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: warlock_by_hubbletea-d591x5j[1].jpg (953 KB, 664x1100) Image search: [Google]
warlock_by_hubbletea-d591x5j[1].jpg
953 KB, 664x1100
>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, misc homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>SCAG Map:https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

> November's UA (which should be in the Mega link above, but for those who just want it alone)
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf

Topic of the Thread:
How do you feel about the Undying Light pact? Would you allow it in your games?
>>
>>43530323
I'd allow it. Seems cool. PRAISE THE LIGHT
>>
Poorly fleshed out concept with shitty mechanics.
>>
File: Phantas-Moon.png (190 KB, 393x550) Image search: [Google]
Phantas-Moon.png
190 KB, 393x550
Undying Light exists solely to play Magical Girls.
>>
What spells do I give a Dragon warlock patron?
>>
>>43530565
What color dragon?
>>
File: 1316751207618.jpg (127 KB, 540x914) Image search: [Google]
1316751207618.jpg
127 KB, 540x914
Why not, the features seem pretty balanced (it's not like warlock is gonna be OP) and only grognards care about 'doing warlock wrong'. I guess if you're doing some absolute grimdark shit with no clerics or whatever, sure ban it, but the whole point of warlock is they get some easy power, and if they can jack it from the positive energy plane go for it imo.
>>
>>43530734

Not for any specific color.

Maybe one spell for each level, and as a feature you can select the other spell from any spell list, as long as it is the element of your patron's color?
>>
>>43530323
Seems dece. I'll allow it. I have like two total players who actually play warlocks, ever.
>>
>>43530323
I'd allow it if I ever had time to GM again.
>>
I don't know why people complain about the tone of content not 'fitting' when there are a dozen different settings.

You may as well complain about Warforged not fitting Forgotten Realms or Swashbuckler not fitting Dark Sun.
>>
>>43530807
>>43530792
>>43530789
Undying light bladelock 12/Dragon Sorcerer (Red) 8
Greenflame Blade + Radiant soul + Elemental Affinity (fire) + Lifedrinker
4d8+dex+cha+cha+cha and 3d8+cha+cha+cha TWICE a turn with quicken.
>>
>>43530890
Wow it's almost as good as a Fighter power attacking with a polearm.
>>
>>43530323
I'd allow it, but I'd tone down how much HP you got back from the L6 feature.
>>
>>43530890
Yes, and? You say that as though I as the DM should be concerned about the power level of 20th level PCs.
>>
>>43530890
Wow, it's reasonably competent at dealing damage, almost like it's doing something the class was intended to do.
>>
>>43530974
That's basically what I've done.

You gain back warlock level + Cha and there's a Con save for the blinded effect.
>>
>>43530789

Alright, is this a good list?

1st Chromatic Orb
2nd Blur
3rd Protection from Energy
4th Polymorph
5th Bigby's Hand

There'll be a feature that makes the polymorph invocation mesh with this.
>>
>>43530997
That works.
>>
Any last minute advice for running Tomb of Horrors? I'll b doing it tomorrow, using the Dungeon Magazine conversion, except with all poison traps being save-or-die and using the Monster Manual for creature stats, including Acererak
>>
>>43530323
>How do you feel about the Undying Light pact?
It's good for a UA, but it's still a UA. Also, the added spell list only gave 1 per slot level rather than the 2 of the PHB/SCAG Patrons, so I'd probably want to expand that if any of my players wanted to do it.

Also, as mentioned, L6 feature's gotta simmer down.
>>
Is it logical to use the spell detect thoughts in the middle of a conversation? It requires somatic and verbal components which i feel is a big issue during a conversation with somebody.
what are your thoughts on this?
>>
>>43530825
> You may as well complain about Warforged not fitting Forgotten Realms

And I will. There are no Warforged or Warforged analogs in FR. If you don't want to put up with FR's stodgy blandness, don't play in FR.

I don't.
>>
>>43531839
It will be obvious that you're acting weird, talking weird and doing wiggly sounds. In most D&D settings, obvious enough that a lot of people will assume it might be magic.

And if they have Arcana proficiency, they will potentially know before you're done, if they don't probably after.
>>
Anyone got a pdf of the new handbook, or at least a link to the reddit thread w/ pics? Not trying to mess up the thread, just wanted to check the rogue archetypes and spells. pls/ty
>>
>>43532272
Why is this question asked like every thread, despite SCAG being specified in the OP copypasta for like ten threads now? Just grab it from the Mega.
>>
>>43532272
It's in the mega.
It's ALWAYS in the mega.
>Not trying to mess up the thread
You fucked it up.
>>
Thoughts for a grittier game, has anyone tried to cut down on HP to HD = Prof Bonus for humanoid chars and creatures that aren't supposed to be like, high tier legends?
>>
File: egyptian wizard.jpg (100 KB, 424x640) Image search: [Google]
egyptian wizard.jpg
100 KB, 424x640
>>43530746
I feel like the point of the warlock is he's getting his power from a pact with a specific being. If the warlock is tapping into the raw power of a plane, it doesn't seem like they're that different from other magic users. It would have made more sense to create a sorcerer who's been touched by the Positive Energy Plane and a warlock who's in league with a being from the Shadow Plane than the other way around.
>>
>>43532336
...You've never started a game at level 1, have you?
>>
>>43532090
That's what i was thinking. So PC's would have to find a reason step away from an NPC they were conversing with to cast the spell and then use it. Either that or cast it before hand, but there may be interactions where they may not know if they need it or not.
>>
>>43532318
>>43532335
oh, my b.
thanks
>>
>>43532354
It does, as a whole, feel a lot more sorcerer-y.

I was disappointed that the Shadow Bloodline wasn't a Shadow Patron. I liked the 4e Shadow Patron, and have homebrewed my own, but feel like that would have been one of the first splatpacts.
>>
>>43532381
The two games I played started at 1, I've considered starting at 3 for my own games as a DM but I haven't had the chance yet this edition despite formerly being forever DM.
>>
>>43532437
It's really not terribly hard to get instakilled in normal combat at level 1. It doesn't always happen, but it's more common than not.

If you want to go for grittiness in vulnerability, I'd first consider restricting access to high-value armors. Anything more than scraps of metal and tattered leathers would have to be custom made, maybe.
>>
Gonna run an online skype session for a friend.
Neither of us have ever touched DnD before, but i've had experience with pathfinder and shadowrun.

Gonna be 5th edition, if that helps.
Any tips for running DnD for one person, along with how to deal with the system as a newbie?
I've read most of the DM's guide in the OP.
>>
>>43532569
Read the PHB and MM as well.
>>
>>43532536
Yeah, I tend to feel like I'd be fairly generous (like, rewards like, I'd probably try to make sure everyone can have a silvered weapon, studded or breastplate, and a horse by the time they get to 4-5) that way. IDK, I'll see, my first likely game as DM is probably going to be these holidays.
>>
File: turing.jpg (65 KB, 707x919) Image search: [Google]
turing.jpg
65 KB, 707x919
>>43532569
>One-on-one Skype Session
Alan Turing would be proud.
>>
>>43532681
Took me a while to get, but fucking kek.
>>
I thought D&D players would of made a decent looking character generator by now.

I mean a horribly layed out webpage is not a good character creator.

Smaller communities like shadowrun have better character generators than D&D.
>>
>>43532800
Isn't Chummergen wildly out of date, abandoned by its devs, and bugged to hell thanks partly to 5e's terrible editing?

Also honestly it's not like 5e D&D has a shit ton of fiddly subsystems to make sure work together, it's about as simple as 2e.
>>
>>43532800
I don't really know why you would need one, for the amount of content that's out and what all a character gets. The only shitty part of char gen is choosing spells, and there are sites like dnd-spells.com that make that relatively painless.
>>
>>43532839
Unless it's been abandoned again since I last checked it out, a guy in /srg/ was keeping chummer5 fairly up to date.
>>
>>43532800
> Thing doesn't exist, and I'm a talentless, lazy asshole
> Better bitch about it until someone else fixes it
>>
>>43532800
You don't like ForgedAnvil?
>>
>>43532800
I could make one but I can't be assed to do it.
>>
So, I know a greataxe is functionally different from a greatsword because of the die, but the greatsword and the maul are identical besides damage type, right?
>>
>>43533900
Yeah.
>>
>>43534075
Thanks, m80
>>
in the groups you play what's the least played class? In my experience it's Monk by a significant margin.
>>
>>43534197
Barbarian. Have not actually ever had a Barbarian. I've been DMing for the past three years.
>>
>>43534197
A tie between druid and barbarian. I have only seen one of each since I have stared playing. However, I would never play a druid personally and I have never met anyone else who liked the druid class.
>>
>>43530323
i feel like people are pinning the cleric tag on itt little too quickly, the whole point of the warlock is it has made a pact to draw power from a higher source. what the warlock does with it isnt as constrained as that of a cleric. also the positive plane is not by default "good" its life and energy at its full potential.
>>
I'm going to be trying 5e for the first time in a few days. I know it's an example people put forward as a terrible combo, but the idea's been tempting me: is it possible at all to have a well done Half-Orc Bard? I was thinking of more of a rough and tumble rocker than a sophisticated charmer.
>>
So, if my character is in a heavily obscured area, can they see into an unobscured area? Like when I'm hiding in particularly dark alley for example, looking towards the lit street. The rules say "A creature in a heavily obscured area effectively suffers from the blinded condition (see appendix A)", but that seems a bit strange if they're looking toward an unobscured area. Also, could I make a range attack from that position? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
>>
>>43534648
The errata clarified that. When you're looking into a heavily-obscured area, you are effectively blinded. So if you're looking into a dark alley on a moonless knight and you don't have dark vision or a torch, you ain't seeing shit.

But if you are looking from the darkness at a creature in a lit area, you should be able to get a shot off no problem.
>>
>>43534668
Excellent, thanks bud.
>>
>>43534648
>>43534668
Yeah, that's right.
The bullseye lantern exists for this. It shines a light outward but doesn't light you up.
>>
>>43534197
Wizard.
There's this stigma among my group that Wizards are terribly overpowered, and gamebreaking, and will ruin the fun.
I'm actually pretty okay with it.
>>
File: Orc_bard.jpg (60 KB, 516x768) Image search: [Google]
Orc_bard.jpg
60 KB, 516x768
>>43534621
Fuck Instruments, Get Bitches.
>>
>>43534621
So....Jack Black?!
>>
>>43531054
Someone did a Sorcerer change where each archetype got some extra spells:

1st Level: Disguise Self, Charm Person
3rd Level: Darkvision, Alter Self
5th Level: Protection from Energy, Elemental Weapon
7th Level: Polymorph, Dominate Beast
9th Level: Dominate Person
>>
>>43534828
Same, mostly.

Also players who don't like the spellbook, or find classes more or less defined by their overreliance on magic annoying (so the only arcane casters I ever see are Bard and Lock)
>>
>>43534197
Wizards since we are all fairly new and there's a lot of spells to choose from. Me and my DM would probably be capable of selecting good spells, another player would be mixed but the remaining three would probably suck. Also they overvalue con/cha and undervalue dex/wis.
>>
Would a Paladin 2/Bladesinger X work, or would it be too MAD?
>>
>>43535398

smites don't use charisma but every other feature doesn't mesh with a bladesinger very well in my opinion to be honest family

paladin/warlock is better because smite caps just a level under your highest slot, and you regain the slots on short rest
>>
>>43532569
>Any tips for running DnD for one person
Don't
>>
New to tg here. Just getting into D&D. I was looking through the MEGA links but didn't see the following adventures:
>Hoard of the Dragon Queen
>Out of the Abyss
>Princes of the Apocalypse
>Rise of Tiamat

Do you guys want these? Do you have these already and just don't post em?
>>
>>43536187
They're in there, you must not have been looking very hard.
>>
>>43536215
My bad then. Thanks!
>>
Anyone else take adderall when doing DM prep work? It's been working wonders for me.
>>
>>43535453
I just whipped this up in response to this post, how does it look?

Variant Human
Paladin 2->Undying Light Warlock 4->Ancients Oath +6->Warlock +3
14 Str/10 Dex/14 Con/8 Int/12 Wis/16 Cha

1-Polearm Master using Glaive
2-Tunnel Fighting, 2d8/smite (long)
3-Radiant Soul, 2d8/smite (short)
4-Devil's Sight
5-Tome, Book of Ancient Secrets, Shillelagh (switch to staff), Greenflame Blade, Booming Blade, 3d8/smite (short)
6-Sentinel
8-+2 Cha
9-Extra Attack
10-Protection Aura
11-Warding Aura
12-+2 Cha
13-Agonizing Blast, 4d8/smite (short)
14-Searing Vengeance
15-Repelling Blast, 5d8/smite (short)
>>
>>43536306

Holy shit, no. I find DM prepping fun in and of itself and that seems like something you'd do to make it more bearable, like studying.

When I used to use adderall I would take 60mgs and go out and party, not sit around drawing maps and making NPCs.
>>
>>43530323
Does the MEGA folder also include the "Monsters by CR" pdf?
>>
>>43536808
Yep.
>>
>>43536808
Yes
>>
>>43535453
What about paladin/sorcerer?
>>
>>43532569
Get erotic with it. Its gonna be erotic either way, might as well just lean into it.
>>
I know almost nothin about 5e but my mastee decided to try moving from 3.5 to 5e
I played a monk, but with an homebrew race called "ancient, variant" from the wiki and full BAB my monk was actually semi decent since i could cast bull's strenght on myself once per day as a race trait, with that and good stats roll i was able to reach 22 str, with 20 wis and 16 dex.
GM approved in swapping bull's strenght with cat's grace and putting my 18 str in dex.
So, now i have a monk level 4 with 10 str, 18 dex(+4), 16 cos, 10 int, 8 cha and 20 wis (i still have to use the +2 to stat of your choice you get at 4th level)
What build should i go for? Is monk actually decent in 5e?
>>
>>43537014
Open Hand monk: standard beat-em-up monk. Add basic battlefield control with the one save-or-die in the game as a capstone. Pretty good.

Shadow monk: 5e's version of the shadow dancer, basically. Teleport between shadows, go invisible, and have some good utility spells. Pretty solid.

Four Elements: very little of worth, everything you get is a huge ki sink. Don't bother.
>>
>>43537014
Well monk has a lot of options. The better ones are open hand, shadow, and Sun.

Open hand gives you some free healing and buffs to your flurry of blows. It also gives you a save or die ability that can be used once a day.

Shadow gives you teleportation and invisibility while in darkness and a few spells this help your stealth.

Sun allows you to throw balls of light and shoot lasers from your fist.

Open hand is probably the best but all of these three are viable in one way or another. Wood elf, human, and ghostwise halflings make the best monks.
>>
>>43537092
You neglected to mention the Literally Hamon Monk and the Edgy Death Monk That For Some Reason Doesn't Have A Save-or-die.
>>
Anyone mind reminding me exactly how damage resistances work, and what methods PCs have for bypassing them?
>>
>>43537014
You have a master?
>>
>>43537201
If you are resistant to say fire then if you are hit by fire damage you take half instead.

A feat like Elemental Adept : Fire bypasses fire resistance
>>
>>43537014
>He thinks full BaB turns monks decent
That's like giving to a nigerian starving kid a candy bar and call it a day
>>
>>43532839
Chummergen is more up to date than the paid application that costs like 140 dollars
>>
>>43537826
PF gave them full BAB, d10, and better class features (like half pounce) and they're still Tier4
>>
File: 1411327876833.jpg (20 KB, 480x300) Image search: [Google]
1411327876833.jpg
20 KB, 480x300
how do i turn "go hunt the warewolf" interesting and give it a twist?
>>
>>43538112
Don't tell them is a werewolf, make the farmers and witnesses have different interpretartions
>It was 7ft tall with horns
>No, it was 10ft and had big claws
>Its sight could freeze you
Make them fight an owlbear so they get overconfident
When they reach the town everybody is dead and a werewolf is waiting for them inside one of the house
>>
How do I (as GM) counter (read: murder) a Divination Wizard with the Lucky feat?
I'm getting really tired of that stupid cheese.
>>
>>43538221
place a curse upon him or have him willingly trade "a bit of his luck" with a witch

and then start fudging freely but not unfairly

or just fudge outright

or give the rest of the party stronger stuff and balance the encounters higher
>>
Can you twin Greenflame Blade?
>>
Going to be playing a great weapon fighter, but I feel that an attack bonus of +8 is a bit low for a level 7. With the concept of bounded accuracy, just how high should my attack roll bonuses be?
>>
>>43538418
+8 to hit is entirely accurate for a level 7 GWM fighter before the penalty. Of course you should also have a +1weapon or other magic item by now too to help you in combat.
>>
>>43538221
>>43538333

This is entirely unnecessary. Have people cast fireball at him or any other save or half damage spell. Just cuz you make your save doesn't mean you don't take damage. Diviner are good at avoiding hits or making saves a few times a day. Lucky ones more so. But they are still the most squishy class. Hit them a lot and hit them with save or half damage spells.

This is a totally valid build, it's not even one of the most op on 5e. If you fudge the numbers to punish a player as opposed to exploiting the players actual weakensses, you are being a bad dm. Don't punish a player for being good at something. Punish them for what their character is bad at.
>>
>>43538112
There are 4 werewolves: The guy who hired them, the guy he wants them to kill, the guy who is actually causing trouble for the townsfolk and a wildcard character.
>>43538221
Throw lots of small creatures at him instead of a few big ones, too many rolls for him to manipulate them all, and pad out the time between long rests.
>>
>>43538612
I like this setup.

>>43538112
I want to see a situation where PC's end up using fire tactics to bypass its weapon immunity the first time they run into one. Then they can scramble for silver weapons before the pack can gather and retaliate. Maybe a brash werewolf attacks during the village bonfire party.
>>
>>43538418
>an attack bonus of +8 is a bit low for a level 7
That's actually great. It means you have a 20 in the relevant ability score. And besides, aside from maxing your ability score and using any magic weapons that you find, there's not much you can do to improve on that.

>>43538221
>How do I (as GM) counter (read: murder) a Divination Wizard with the Lucky feat?
What, do you only have one encounter a day? Also, remember that the Portent ability is supposed to be declared before the roll.
>>
>>43538475
>you should also have a +1weapon or other magic item by now too to help you in combat.
No, you really "shouldn't". God the fucking threeaboo entitlement.

>>43538418
er, that's basically perfect accuracy for your level.
>>
Several Demons.
The right ones resist most types of damage and have advantage on spell saves. Having several of them means they cant use portent to bypass that advantage.
>>
>>43539060
>No, you really "shouldn't". God the fucking threeaboo entitlement.

This. Why do these stupid 3fags think that they should be able to hurt level-appropriate monsters? Everyone knows that getting your damage halved against every other monster is an age-old dnd tradition and any disagreement will result in me flinging insults at you.
>>
>>43538221
Why do you want to punish a player for picking an option that you allowed?
>>
>>43539173
I mean, if you consult the loot tables the odds of you having a magic weapon by level 7 are fairly low. You're more likely to have a weapon that gives no bonuses and does some minor utility stuff than to have a +1 weapon if you have one at all. Plus when you have a magic weapon and ignore resistances to nonmagical weapons you're reducing the defensive CR of some monsters, potentially making the challenge easier than its supposed to be.
>>
>>43538221
You can start by not being a shit DM
>>
>>43539173
>urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Half damage is nothing like older editions.

More importantly, there are ways to fuck something's shit that's more elaborate than "pointy end goes inside" and that work, aside from the fact that silvered weapons will work fine on a lot of level appropriate shit.

And most creatures that are level appropriate with resistance have lower HP than those that don't.

So yes, you're an annoying threeaboo acting like there's a fucking loot formula.
>>
>>43539060
>threeaboo entitlement
Um no I don't feel entitled to it at all. I've been playing adventure league and even with a party of 7 people everyone had at least one magic item by level 5. Some people even had 2 magic items. We came across a +1 sword and axe, 2 magic staffs, a pair of magic boots and a pair of magic gauntlets, +1 armor, and a wand of magic missile. To assume a level 7 player has a magic item is pretty reasonable imo.
>>
>>43539364
Oh and a +1 mace and some magic scrolls
>>
>>43538475
>>43539002
>>43539060
To be fair, I'm coming from 3.5 so I'm used to being spoiled when it comes to attack rolls.

Still, I guess it's compensated for in that most stuff in 5th has lower AC, so...
>>
>>43539364
AL stuff has been anywhere from Monty Haul to incredibly stringent, and considering the starting gear tables, sure, maybe one relatively low-grade (by 3.4E standards) magic item is expected by level 10, which is more or less what this allows.

>>43539356
Checking through CR-relevant monsters. At CR 8 and below, there are very few monsters with some degree of normal damage resistance that also don't come with a laundry list of elemental resistances.
>>
>Have +5 to hit at best
>GM throws shit with AC 18+
>Casters shine like Acrab star because they target saves
Fuck my GM, thinking on leaving
>>
>>43539413
Very true. Aside from creatures with a built in reaction to boost ac and the rare CR 30 behemoths, the highest ac a creature to have is 21. As far as I have seen at least. 5e streamlined a lot of things and cut out all the big numbers and heavy math of 3.5.
>>
>>43539461
>the highest ac a creature to have is 21
Dragons with 24 AC want to talk to you
>>
>>43539416
That was my point. A +1 weapon in 5e is the lowest of magical rarities outside of common magic items like potions of healing.
>>
>>43538612
I understood that reference.
>>
>>43539477
Yeah but even at that level of rarity it's not particularly common.

More importantly it's a lot less fun than most of the other items, weapons included, at that level of rarity.
>>
>>43539474
Mb, have not looked at the ancient dragons that closely yet desu, I mostly have been focusing on fiends and undead.
>>
>>43539474
Only the ancients have more than 20.

>>43539477
Not so much. If you follow the DMG's guidelines for loot at that level then a major horde does have a small chance of containing one, but it's not till ~11th level that you're almost certain to land one in every major haul. Plus checking the MM I count about 75 creatures for whom a magic weapon is relevant and 17 that are outright immune to nonmagical weapons. It's more than possible to have a whole adventure and never need one at all.
>>
>>43532354
I think the implication is that the life energy comprising and flowing through the positive energy plane causes it to, essentially, have a semblance of sentience. The whole pact also seems to have implications that the all-cleansing purifying light of the positive energy plane might be more sinister than in initially seems.
>>
>>43538112
The werewolf is actually the farmer losing his sheep.
>>
>>43534197
Bard,
I'm usually the guy to play the cleric or paladin
Most in my party just want to be a big damage dealing melee class or have crazy spells
>>
>>43530536
You could do that with the Archfey patron, too.
>>
>>43539625
>cleansing purifying light of the positive energy plane
That's not what positive energy does. It's a healing, energizing light. If you want cleansing and purifying, you need something divine like a deity, nature, or fire.
>>
>>43539459
Talk to him about it. Let him know that you are feeling a little weak because of this.
>>
File: 1432528066275.jpg (50 KB, 400x686) Image search: [Google]
1432528066275.jpg
50 KB, 400x686
Would a character who is deeply unsettling and unskilled at social interaction be low Cha, Intimidation proficient?
>>
>Temporary HPs on kill
Ok, how useful is this? it seems very situational
>>
>>43539834
Intimidation proficiency is all about knowing how to use what you have to intimidate others. A deeply unsettling person could just be a person with low cha
>>
>>43539834
Not naturally
Proficiencies are what you character has collected over his/her life, if you have him an intimidation proficiency you be more inclined to role play him/her that way
>>
>>43539834
Intimidation means you have to speak and have a threatening personality, you can be a 25ft giant who just killed a 10k army with one punch and bathed on their blood and still don't intimidate shit, that's how intimidation works in D&D works.
>>
>The bard uses silent image to coat himself in writhing blue flames and make his eyes glow eerily
>He then tries to intimidate someone
Would this be advantage on the intimidation roll or what?
>>
>>43539890
Depends entirely on you, but the target has a DC to see if the illusion is an illusion if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>43539890
Up to the DM. Could give advantage, could also lower the DC of the roll.

Could even give disadvantage or increase the DC if the person he's trying to intimidate thinks it looks silly.
>>
>>43539890
Depend on who he's intimidating, some might be more prone to falling for it
>>
>>43539937
They have physically interact with it to save. Or try to see if its an illusion. When a wizard lights themself on fire with arcane flame what would cause you to go "I think that may be an illusion!" and try to see through it?
>Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it. A creature that uses its action to examine the image can determine that it is an illusion with a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the creature can see through the image.
>>
>>43539937
>tfw having at least one version of elderly hive dweller in most cities just for when the tough, burly intimidating dude fails the roll.
>>
>>43539834
Intimidation is more of a force of personality thing IMO. For somebody unsettling I'd use either a low-DC (not as high as any class abilities) save vs fear in trying circumstances or maybe the rules for horror when you do something truly disturbing.
>>
>>43539998
This actually brings up a good point.

If I made an illusionary wall of billowing smoke would someone get to save for putting their hand through it? Smoke would always let something pass through it so why would that break the illusion for them.
>>
>>43540037
Unless you you made the illusion look reactive, he see the smoke look like it rises though his hand basically
>>
>>43540037
>Not casting a illusory wall of cocks
You know for sure he's not going to touch it
>>
>>43540037
RAW touching the smoke you automatically realise it's an illusion.
>>
>>43540037
Smoke will move out of the way of a solid object and billow about. Unless your fog is particularly dense, the difference will be noticeable if you look for the smoke to just pass through your hand.

Similarly, if it's dense enough to look like a puffy wall of solid colour at close range, you'd be able to feel the difference in moisture. Your illusion wouldn't cause this.
>>
>>43540082
>hidding from corrupt King
>illusionary wall of cock to dissuade guards
>comes and see wall
>the party vividly see him blow each illusionary cock
The king comes and the Kong came
>>
>>43539890
Disadvantage, the guy is on fire and people around will try to put the flames down, not very effective when you try to intimidate.
>>
>>43540119
Oglaf get outta here!
>>
Almost all of the warlock invocations are boring. What are some ideas you've had for new invocations?
>>
>>43540180
Play a real mage
>>
File: 1443292365653.jpg (128 KB, 679x1000) Image search: [Google]
1443292365653.jpg
128 KB, 679x1000
Question for you fine folk:

If a PC manages to become immune to fire damage, and drinks a potion of water-walking, can they walk on lava?
Swim as though it is difficult terrain if they don't drink the potion?
>>
>>43540180
>You can now cast [insert spell name here] at will
The entire concept of warlock is so uninteresting to me I haven't even bothered looking through the invocation list.
>>
>>43540199
I'd personally allow it, on oil as well.
>>
>>43540212
90% of the invocations are utter shit, stuff like jump at will at 9th level is fucking retarded, that spell isnt' even useful at 1st level.

Then you also have invocations that are "cast this spell that isn't in your spell list spending on of your spell slots" which is even more retarded.
>>
How do you guys dea with a Warlock's patron? Do you have exclusive scenes where the Patron speaks to the PC or the player's supposed to make that a part of his roleplaying.

I just don't like it when players try to gather information about the world with vague class features when they could just ask the different NPCs and take notes, maybe i'm just too much of an autist...but, does anyone has that same problem?
>>
>>43540199
Lava is my go-to obstacle for those "I don't want to to go past this point but I'm bound by the laws of GM passive-aggression from just strait up telling you" moments, but I'd still allow it and remember to come up with something different for next time.
>>
>>43540298
The warlock in the party I DM has Dendar, night serpent that eats nightmares as his patron. So he gets orders from night hags in dreams privately, and then he tells me how he handles them, since what he's doing is going to be furthering an evil being's cause and it is a mainly good party.

The party doesn't even know he's a warlock, they think he's just a sorcerer or something.
>>
Can a familiar perform the help action on it's turn?
>>
>>43540298
I make them roll a charisma check. High roll gets lots of good info, medium gets the minimum, low brings the risk of pissing off the patron.
In consequence, the patron asks for more stuff. That really nice oathbow you just found? You need to give it to a local orphan that your patron has plans for. No? Well have fun having reduced help from them.
Basically, I make it high-reward, high-risk, they are basically asking a near god about something they shouldn't care about that much.

>my players ask the tiefling to ask her patron about some weird shrine in a dungeon.
>she says no because the risk of pissing her patron off is too high
>beuno
>>
>>43539766
What? Divine power in D&D is basically defined by it's use of positive/negative energy.
>>
>>43540298
As a GM, I don't see any real difference between a PC asking a random guy on the street or asking an otherworldly patron. If it bothers you have the patron tell them to find the NPC and ask them.
>>
>>43532354
I do agree that having a patron that is an entire plane is sort of weird. Although, personally, I feel that the "pact with a specific being" part isn't as important to the idea of the warlock as is the "magic power from a questionable source" part. You know, since "pact with a specific being" applies equally to clerics as it does warlocks.
>>
>>43531852
I think you missed the point he was making
>>
>>43540298
Depends on the player, depends on the patron, can even depend on the pact itself.

One of my current player's patrons is basically an infernal loan shark. He shows up occasionally, particularly after a session in which the warlock performed really well, and reminds him who pulls the strings 'round 'ere, see?
>>
Oh, it just occurred to me why they made the undying light warlock. Think about it, warlocks are meant to be people that have gotten their power from a questionable source through questionable means, people who have made pacts with weird and scary beings, people who have studied dark magics that could drive you mad just to contemplate. Their powers are secret and forbidden. Well, in the underdark all that scary shit is pretty mundane. A drow wants to make a deal with a devil? No one's even going to bat an eyelid. So what's a horrible, unknowable and alien, forbidden source of power for someone in the underdark? Why, Undying Light light of course!
>>
>>43540672
That's a lot more interesting than trope inversion.
>>
>>43540672
Holy shit you may just be right.
>>
File: angry-anakin.jpg (133 KB, 992x951) Image search: [Google]
angry-anakin.jpg
133 KB, 992x951
>>43540672
FROM MY POINT OF VIEW, THE JEDI ARE EVIL!
>>
>>43538112
I made my werewolf into a lowly member of a debuchery based cult (Hellfire club, victorian noblemen and skull and bones mashup) that works as a master of hounds and works on keeping the dogs ready for hunting foxes, whores and others undesirables.
>>
Anyone have any level 14 characters they wanna share sheets for? I need a lot of extra characters for ToH and I figured it would be neat to toss in characters actually made by other people.
>>
File: 1440277478834.png (329 KB, 600x495) Image search: [Google]
1440277478834.png
329 KB, 600x495
What god could a chaotic good paladin follow that would let me believe that the end justify the means?
I want to play a loose cannon cop living on the edge who doesn't play by the rules.
>>
>>43541234
St. Callahan
>>
>>43541234
i. Paladins don't need to follow a god, but if you must then >>43541324
ii. Chaotic Good is not technically an alignment, your ideal is either Chaotic or Good - you can still play your character however you want.
iii. 'Ends justify the means' is more or less the whole shtick of the Vengeance paladin, so play one of those if you weren't already.
>>
>>43539766
Plenty of the abilities granted by the Undying Light pact deal fire damage. Also, radiant is a perfectly valid and very effective damage type consistently associated with the positive energy plane. In 3.5 radiant damage was just called positive energy. Are you sure you even know what you're talking about? Are you unfamiliar with D&D?
>>
>>43540672
Look how clever you are.

Nobody else has figured that out yet.

Gold stars for you.
>>
>>43539834
Being good at intimidation requires a degree of understanding people's fears and what switches to flip to get the best results, requiring at least a degree of social understanding.

Granted, one can easily be a sociopath and understand these things perfectly well. Doesn't mean you seem normal or interact with people in a socially healthy way.
>>
>>43541234
A loose cannon cop living on the edge can work just fine as a Vengeance Paladin of Helm and lawful neutral.

>>43541343
It's stupid but I still note down alignment on chars (although for the most part I tend to pick ideals on the ethical axis)
>>
>>43541459
One can have an inherently intimidating presence without understanding the intricacies of intimidating people. Horrific appearance, hulking size, unsettling mannerisms or even just a frightening reputation. These things could also make you pretty bad at anything not associated with trying to creep the fuck out of people. D&D just isn't very good at capturing the nuances of social interaction.
>>
>>43536318

if you're still here...

just go paladin 2 and the rest warlock

you don't 'need' extra attack when you have green flame blade (which should benefit from the undying light cantrip buff)

and your smite scaling sucks ass if you don't commit to one class
>>
>>43541683
>And the rest warlock
If you GM believes in short rests
>>
>>43541234
Now I have this image of Sir McBain the vengeance paladin in my head.

>"Sir McBain, that greatsword of yours is against the regulations of our Order!"
>"But sir, I cannot avenge my squire's death with this toothpick!"
>>
>>43537826
Considering it's just level 4 and i had 18 str (that could become 22) it's been decent so far cause of low enemy CD
>>43537126
>>43537092
Thanks, I think I'm going to go open hand.
Also, I like to play more describing my moves and spectacular fight instead of just rolling dices ("rahr rahr play other games" i know but D&D is the only game my friends want to play)
Any possibility to have a decent brawling character in 5e?
>>
>>43541761

There's a battlemaster in my party so when I finally play this disgusting piece of shit I hopefully won't be left in the dust.
>>
>>43541780

'Tis a great sword.
>>
File: 1408302474912.png (65 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1408302474912.png
65 KB, 800x600
>>43541780
inspired from this im sure everyone wants to play the adam jensen of Winterfell
>>
>>43541789
My old 3.5 barbarian at 4th level had 26 Str and dealt tons of damage more than your shitty 1d6, so yeah, your full BaB on a monk is fucking nothing.
>>
>>43541903
if i wanted to powerplay and min maxx i wouldnt play monk.
I play it because i like playing that very specific character.
>>
>>43541903
1d12+STR+11 vs 3d6+Dex+Dex+Dex
>>
>>43541954
>Barbarian
>Powerplay and minmax
Top lol
Even a Barb with 20 Str deals more damage, anon.
He rages and then he's at 24, he uses a 2d6 2hd weapon so his average (with power attack for a -2 in comparison to your FoB for a -2) is 2d6+10+4 = 21

With the same bonus to hit you deal 1d6+6 = 9.5

Even if you manage to hit with both attacks you deal 19

You also have less AC on average, less HPs, can't pounce, etc

Giving full BaB to monks does nothing, like I said, PF gives you full BaB, 1d10, pounce and other shit and still are Tier4, this is not about minmax, is about not being behind a druid or a cleric in combat.
>>
>>43542047
They're talking about 3.5, monk can't make 3 attacks at 4th level in 3.5
>>
>>43542051
Yeah, Unchained Monk is an improvement, but still Monk is shit in 3.5/PF, their magic items cost 3x more, you're still MAD (rise BaB and HP only helps a little), and some of its features are still useless.
>>
>>43542051
Man, I just like to play monk, what's your problem
>>
File: 1409507751935.jpg (31 KB, 400x505) Image search: [Google]
1409507751935.jpg
31 KB, 400x505
>>43539356
>>urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
not even that guy but pic
>>
>>43542182
>what's your problem
That your GM should have gave you more
>>
>>43542051
>>43542139
>Tfw playing an unchained monk in PF
>Tfw new guy enters with a druid
>Druid has a bear
>Bear makes me irrelevant in combat
Thank god the druid doens't have animal companion anymore
>>
>5e gets released
>Everybody says monk is OP
>Nowadays everybody says monks are the weakest martials
What happened?
>>
>>43542297
Threeaboos switched to 5e and brought their shit with them.
>>
>>43542297
Monk being decent was a shock.
Now we all recovered and we can see that the monk is "just" decent and nothing more.
>>
>>43542297
People decided to use feats
Then wotc said "lets created melee cantrips!"
>>
>>43541789
Bumping, is brawling viable?
>>
>>43542340
People vastly overstate how good Shillelagh is, and the SCAG cantrips are something I'm a bit iffy about adding in general.
>>
>>43542366
What do you mean by brawling?
Unarmed attacks is only good for monks. Grappling is decent but you will run in a lot of trouble with big monsters.
>>
>>43542366
Define viable?
You want to be a damage dealer? then no
You want to grapple some dudes that aren't bigger than large to give bonuses to your friends? then yes, but dip a level in bard or rogue for expertise: Athletics
>>
>>43542380
Shillelagh alone is meh, but add GFB and shit is bananas
>So you're saying that I only need to focus on my casting stat while still outdamaging some of the martials? cool
Specially if you're a sorcerer for twinning that shit
>>
>>43542402
>>43542409
Not damage but knocking down or grappling
>>
>>43542452
Skip monk (they focus on Dex, Wis and Con, they don't have enough for Str)
Go Barb/Rogue or Barb/Bard
>>
>>43542471
Good to know, thanks for the feedback
>>
>>43542452
Yeah this>>43542471
You would think a monk is a good grappler : you are wrong. Grappling is focused on Athletics, so you need to pump STR and you need Expertise to double your proficiency on it.
So, anything with Extra Attack (to have more chance to grapple and do shit while you grapple) Expertise and STR
>>
File: 116_te10.jpg (14 KB, 213x300) Image search: [Google]
116_te10.jpg
14 KB, 213x300
How would you make unarmed barbarian work?
>>
>>43542554
By picking up a weapon
>>
>>43542570
kek
>>
>>43542554
By accepting that your damage bonuses are more important than your damage dice unless you're critfishing.
>>
Whats the most damage a PC can output in a single turn?
>>
>>43542656
A lot
>>
>>43542656
I'm sure it's some sort of sorcerer shit with twinned spell and maybe dip in fighter ot get action surge to twin one more
>>
>>43542689
Thanks anon
>>
>>43542689
Thanks
>>
>>43542656
Maybe an assassin rogue with a Purple Worm Poison coated Bolt of Slaying, shot from a Heavy Crossbow +3 while stealthed at level 17.

2d10+24d6+12d10+5 assuming they fail saving throws.
>>
>>43542709
You can use metamagics of action surge?
>>
>>43542656
Action surging battlemaster can deal around 250 damage on his first round
>>
>>43542765
2d10+24d6+12d10+5 x2 In fact, as I forgot to include Death Strike.
>>
>>43542770
Why not? Action surge give you one action. You can use metamagic again while using a spell or cantrip with that action
>>
>>43542790
And without all those legendary items? just the rogue and a common weapon.
>>
>>43542765
>>43542790
Make a dip in figther to get action surge to take the cake
>>
good magical item for a necromancer to use?
>>
>>43542869
Wand of Wonder. Always pick the wand of wonder.
>>
>>43542790
Thanks.
Does purple worm do any DoT?
>>
>>43542897
Nah, instant damage only.
>>
>>43542869
Wand of Orcus
kek!
>>
Anyone using the (using the term very loosely) psionic "system" from UA? It's kinda weird, it seems like Giantitp mostly passed on tweaking and hacking the everliving fuck outta it.
>>
>>43542610
Barbarians are built to be crit fishers. They can get advantage at will and have a scaling bonus to crit die. If you're using a 1d4 as a barbarian you shouldn't be playing barbarian.
>>
>>43543035
>Barbarians
>Crit fishers
I'm a 9th level half-orc barbarian and I'm literally never critting on combat, it's like the game wants me to multiclass into champion fighter
>>
File: blackbear.jpg (25 KB, 476x313) Image search: [Google]
blackbear.jpg
25 KB, 476x313
What's the best way to homebrew a Large size race? I found a variant rule regarding weapons which enables large characters to wield heavy weapons in one hand and deals the versatile damage with other weapons, which I think is a good step to take away from the double weapon dice that large creatures get, though I don't know of other perks / penalties to ascribe to a large character.

I was thinking along the lines of a Half-Giant with ability bonuses to strength and constitution, though I was also thinking of penalizing dexterity if only because their large size doesn't allow for very dexterous activities.
>>
>>43542978
that fucking wand, anyone haves a pic of orcus?
>>
File: GotYouCoveredAnon.jpg (8 KB, 174x240) Image search: [Google]
GotYouCoveredAnon.jpg
8 KB, 174x240
>>43543147
>>
>>43543130
>I found a variant rule regarding weapons which enables large characters to wield heavy weapons in one hand
Citation needed
>>
>>43543194
I should mention, I found a homebrewed variant, not an official one, but I'd probably adapt it into the race just so make the race scale better with levels.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Large_Player_Characters_(5e_Variant_Rule)
>>
so the party I'm DMing for managed to free a giant ancient magical academy (their current dungeon) that was located on the side of a mountain by destroying the mountain itself and releasing an ancient dragon of rot(acid) into the world in the process and now the academy has crashed into the city that they were trying to help. Any suggestions on what to do next?
>>
>>43543234
>dandwiki

It's shit.
>>
>>43543234
>Homebrew shit
Fuck off
>>
>>43543235
Awaken the Tarrasque, Pave the save, start a new game.
>>
File: 1383836646133.png (146 KB, 182x339) Image search: [Google]
1383836646133.png
146 KB, 182x339
>>43543261
I don't understand, there's homebrew material in the OP, but discussing homebrew isn't allowed?
>>
>>43543234
Don't, it fucks up the game balance hard
>>
>>43543370
Fair enough
>>
>>43543368
Dandwiki is run by autists, for autists. Everything on it is unequivocally shit.
>>
>>43543188
>>43543147
Whatsup with orcus?

Lore me up.
>>
>>43543427
Hes a big guy.
>>
>>43541683
I wanted to continue Paladin for the two sweet Auras because I wanted more of a defensive team player, but more Warlock is sweet too (one more Smite, Forcecage, and Mass Suggestion being the main things I liked with that direction)
>>
>>43543427
Demon Lord, and in some settings, vengeful god of the undead.
>>
>>43541623
If someone is afraid of you merely by your presence, you may not be making an active effort to intimidate them, they are just afraid of you. This will differ from person to person, as different people will be more or less inherently afraid of you. The intimidation skill is more about manipulation of people's minds to inflict fear.
>>
>>43543427
He's a necromancer who died and ended up in the abyss, eventually becoming a terrible fate winged goatskullhead demon lord with power rivaling the gods.

He's also the most powerful minionmancer in 5e, capable of conjuring multiple demiches or liches per day (or just a billion zombies, but whatever) from the ether.
>>
>>43540469
>>43541422
That was entirely a sarcastic nitpick that the abilities don't include anything that cleanses or purifies disease, poison, or other conditions like lesser restoration.
>>
>>43543687
My point was someone with all of the above mentioned frightening qualities should reasonably have an easier time trying to actively intimidate someone while also having a harder time persuading them without the use of fear, yet this is poorly represented in the game.
>>
are the "playtest packets" from when 5e was still in beta or something?
>>
>>43543961
Yes.
>>
>>43543766
Wait... there is a monstersheet for him?!!
What about the other toptier guys/gods?
>>
Which invocation is better, adding charisma mod for eldritch blast damage or the one where it pushes 10ft?
I once played with a guy who blasted a vampire 100ft out of the castle, pretty sure he had the damage buff too.
>>
>>43543998
damage than feet
get the cantrips one after that.,
>>
>>43543998
Both are great and you should pick both
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.