[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spook Quest 3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 5
File: Spooky spooks.jpg (107 KB, 800x476) Image search: [Google]
Spooky spooks.jpg
107 KB, 800x476
[Archive here: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Spook%20Quest ]

Come morning, I’m once more sent down to the village, this time to get the wood for my staff treated properly, after all the effort I put into carving the bloody thing, I don’t want it rotting, or snapping on me.

On his order, I’m also to take Kara into town, seems she wants to see the sights, after spending most of the previous day attempting to till a patch of earth. The newly named Marmalade walks with us down the path a ways, hunting the field mice on the path, before finally settling on a patch of warm sunlight between the trees, laying down and watching us as we walk on.

Kara’s hood is up, drawn low to obscure her face and ears, her eyes bright underneath as we approach the town proper. On top of the staff, once again I’m tasked with buying groceries, but on this trip to town, people are starting to give me curious looks, eyes catching on my staff, then flitting away, some of them stepping out of my way purposefully.

The sawmill sits on the far side of town from where we entered, and I ask for the man I was told to, a squat man by the name of Jorg, smells of sawdust, but he actually smiles when he sees me. “Your Johnson’s new boy, eh?”

I nod, “Yes sir, just here to get this treated.” I inform him, nodding to my staff.
>>
He nods rapidly, silently holding out a hand, I start to hand him the staff, but he shakes his head. “No no, coin first.” Ah. I hand the bag over and he counts them out slowly, testing a few with bites to check they’re authentic, before handing a few back. “All sorted, come back in three days, should be ready for….” He sniffs loudly, trailing off, as Kara takes a few steps backwards quietly. “For you- sorry, drifted off. Anyway, since Johnson’s returning customer, you get yourself a discount, enjoy. New customer appreciation deal.”

I thank him politely, before I glance back around at the village. On top of the grocery money, I do have some spare coin in my pocket...

>Get the groceries and get back home
>Take Kara to see the sights first
>Listen in on some conversations, might learn something interesting
>Write in
>>
>>43527515
>Find something Kara might like
>>
>>43527515
Avoid anywhere too crowded, obviously.
>>
>>43527515
Show Kara around keep her away from crowds and don't lose her.
>>
>>43527515
>>
Fucking bum tickler run pokemang!
>>
I look to Kara, “You wanted to take a look around, right?”

She nods, stepping well out of the way of a passing worker. “I would like to see what this place has to offer. It seems much larger than Galo, I’m sure it has a lot of things to see.”

I glance around… It’s… not much really. Just a typical farmers village, a blacksmith, bakery, guardpost, the usual. Oh well, it’s all new to her.

I lead her through the town, the soft trickle of the nearby river adding a soft underlay to our conversation, as I show her everything there is to see, the seamstresses and blacksmith, a proper look at the sawmill, and how they drag in logs from the woods, the bakery, in which she practically salivates over the scent of fresh baked honey rolls, until I drag her away before she can take any.

The heat of the day is starting to rise, which seems to please her at least, her usual complaints about local chill fading. How she’s wearing a full cloak in weather like this, I’ll never know.

I spot a small jetty out over the river, leading Kara over to it, watching as small baitfish bubble to the surface, mouths hungrily gaping, expecting food, as barges float past on the calm waters. Some of the bargemen wave occasionally, barrels of fish and eels packed tight with salt on their fat little boats.

Kara experimentally tosses a few blades of grass to the fish in the river and they gobble up a few, before letting the grass lazily float down river, unhappy with the food they were given.

I take a few minutes to soak my still blistered feet in the gentle rivers flow, sighing with relief.
>>
Then I feel a hand on my shoulder, “Hey, you’re that spook kid right?” Oh dear. I crane my head back, Aaron and the other two boys from the other day are looming behind me. “We asked around, no one called you lot about any witch the other day.”

The ginger boy speaks up, “That means you lied to us. Not a very nice thing to do to people you just met.”

“Just met and tried to be friends, I might add.” Aaron adds. “I think you owe us an apology, don’t you?” Kara shrinks away from the three of them, pulling her hood down nervously.

>It was in another village, that’s why no one knows anything.
>Guards!
>RUN!
>Punch him in the mouth!
>Write in
>>
>>43528461
I don't really expect it to work, but the other three options are even less likely to have a good outcome.
>>
>>43528461
>>
>>43528461
>>It was in another village, that’s why no one knows anything
>>
Alrighty, roll me a d20 on that one
>>
>>43528461
Why the hell would they tell some punk kids about witches anyway? They would tell them that there wasn't anything to worry about, even if the entire town was filled with witches, warlocks and all nastiness.
>>
Rolled 7 (1d20)

>>43528990
>>
Rolled 6 (1d20)

>>43528990
>>
Rolled 6 (1d20)

>>43528990
>>
Rolled 13 (1d20)

>>43528990
>>
>>43529021
>>43529073
>>43529154
well shit
>>
>>43529021
>>43529073
>>43529154
we're pretty quiet, so I'm gonna call it here
>>
>>43529021
>>43529073
>>43529154
...and so begins our exciting spook adventure, beaten up for our lunch money.
>>
Rolled 17 (1d20)

>>43528990
Rub Kara's foot for good luck
>>
Rolled 15 (1d20)

>>43528990
>>
>>43529176
Damn. And shortly after, the 5th roll was great
>>
I stare him back in the eye, “We-well, you see, ha- that is…. Well the witch was in another village- and-”

A fist meets my jaw, knocking me over sideways, as another boot kicks me in the back, rolling me over onto my stomach, before another boot stomps down on my back. I hear Kara scream, running off through the trees, back towards the village.

I try to force myself to my knees, feeling blood running down from my nose, before a rough shove rolls me off the edge of the jetty, plummetting into the fat river below, sinking like a rock into it’s depths. I try and struggle my way upwards, but I have no clue what I’m doing, no ever taught me to swim!

I claw back upwards, feeling everything go tight, my lungs feeling like they're about to burst…. The edges of my sight are going hazy….

Suddenly everything springs back, as something hard jabs me in the face. Very hard. Ow!

I grab at it, trying to throttle it. Whatever it is, I’m taking it with me my brain hazily decides, before I feel a rushing sensation, the surface coming closer….

I break with a mighty spluttering, hacking and wheezing as I clutch to the barge pole that had pulled me up, spitting water into the river again, as I try and clear my eyes.

“You alright boy?” I hear an old man’s voice ask, strong hands grabbing me under the arms, a second, softer pair joining them and hauling me up. “What were ya even thinking down there?!” He demands.

“Pushed…” I wheeze, as my two saviours loom over me, and old man and a young girl, both with flaming red hair. “Wanted money…”

“Bastards! Highwaymen!” The girl hisses, grabbing something long from her belt, as the man drags the barge to the river side, and helps me out onto the shore. No Kara in sight, nor Aaron and his friends

>Not highwaymen, local thugs.
>Thanks for the rescue
>Have either of you seen a girl in a cloak?
>Write in
>>
>>43529425
>>
>>43529425

Wow, they just straight up tried to murder us. I hope we're not just going to let this go.
>>
>>43529425
>>Thanks for the rescue
>>Have either of you seen a girl in a cloak?
>>
>>43529425
>Thanks
>lemme touch yo butt
>>
>>43529425
>>Thanks for the rescue
>>Have either of you seen a girl in a cloak?
>>
>>43529425
>Not highwaymen, local thugs.
>>
>>43529477
My vote is castration.

With a brick.
>>
I massage my hoarse throat, “Thanks… for saving my life…” I groan out. “Would have drowned down there.”

The bargeman spares me a look. “Well, I won’t blame you for getting robbed, but you shouldn’t go playing near deep water if you can’t swim boy. Common sense.”

His daughter tosses me a roll of bandages, tapping her own forehead. “You’re bleeding, you’ll want to clean it out first though.” She levels her strange device forwards, it looks like a bizarre compact crossbow, “If any of you bastards try and rob us, I’ll shoot you dead! You hear me?”

“Alison!” The old man hisses at her, helping me bind my head after I’d washed it out. “You’ll forgive my daughter, she likes to think she’s some heroic pirate queen.” He knots the bandage off for me, just a bit too tight, introducing himself as I readjust it. “Name’s Kendrick. Girl’s my daughter if you couldn’t guess.”

“Leon.” I nod thankfully. “Sorry… but have either of you seen a girl in a cloak around here?”

“You mean like that one?” Alison asks, pointing too Kara, currently leading a guard back to the jetty, just a short distance upstream. “You’re sisters bloody tiny!”

“That would be her.” I nod, as Kara searches about desperately, peering over the edge of the jetty and down into the water, the guard searching the trees.

I call out to her, seeing her relax under the cloak, she bolts up and comes running towards me, leaping and wrapping her arms around me tight. “I’msorryI’msorryI’msorryI’msorry. I panicked, and thought the guards would help, but we were too slow, and I was trying to convince him without getting too close and-”
>>
“Relax lass, we fished him out. More or less intact.” Kendrick chuckles. Kara just presses her face into my sodden shirt, squeezing me tight as the guard approaches.

“Something about causing a fight?” The man asks, raising an eyebrow at the scene, as Alison hastily hides her weird weapon. “Ken, what’s going on here?”

The bargeman shrugs, “Like I know? We just pulled him up a few minutes back.”

>Aaron and his friends tried to drown me!
>It was nothing, I just slipped.
>Aaron and his friends tried to rob me!
>Write in
>>
>>43529952
>Aaron and his friends tried to drown me!
>>
>>43529830
I am behind you anon.

>>43529929

Yes nothing...AHAHAHA...HAHAHA...AAHAHAHAHA.... NO MOTIVE.
>>
>>43529952
Really don't expect the guards to do anything more than give them a slap on the wrist and put it down to youthful hijinxs or some shit.

We can settle this ourselves.
>>
>>43529952
>>
>>43529952
>Aaron and his friends tried to rob me!
>>
writing
>>
>>43530357
Wait, I have my vote

>Write-in

>"Aaron and his friends are a bunch of faggots!"
>>
>>43530405
That they are, anon. That they are...
>>
I shake my head, “It was nothing sir, I just slipped and fell in the river.”

The guard sighs and rolls his eyes, “Not from around here are you?” I shake my head, “Bloody every idiot in town knows you don’t play by the river if you don’t swim.” He looks like he’s resisting the urge to rap me of the head with his spear. “Just be more careful next time, alright?”

The guard stalks off, muttering to himself, as Kara finally pries her face out of my shirt, looking up at me, curious and fearful, “Why didn’t you tell him?”

I shrug, prying her off me gently. “Well, odds are, they’d just get a slap on the wrist and I’d still get called an idiot for not swimming. And they’d just be angrier at me for telling on them.” I glare back through the trees. “If I do need to deal with them, it’ll be on my terms.”

Alison lets out a laugh at that, “I like the way you think you landlubber! Keep speaking my language and I may even give you a hand.”

Kendrick shoots her a look, “Ali, you don’t get to call people landlubbers when you work on a barge.” He sighs. He extends his hand, “Well, it’s been an experience. Good to meet you Leon and… girl I don’t know.” He gestures up the river, “If you’re looking for an odd job every now and then, swing by our cottage, it’s just past the bakers, by the bend in the river.

Alison gives me a wink as they push the barge back onto the river, producing an eyepatch and pulling it down over her face as the boat slowly sails off. “Call on me, and you’re foes will be sure to walk the plank!” She promises with a laugh.
>>
A breeze rolls along the riverbank, sending a chill through my wet clothes. Kara starts to offer me her cloak, but I insist she keeps it on, before she hands over my shoes, having retrieved them from the jetty.

The sun manages to dry me rather well by the time I force myself to pick up the rest of the groceries my master wanted, and I don’t feel a fever or anything coming on. Could have been worse.

With everything purchased, I still have the spare coin left over from my staffs discount, and Kara is still staring at the bakery

>Buy some honey rolls
>Just get back home
>Ask around where Aaron lives
>Visit the bargemans house
>Write in
>>
>>43530709
>Buy some honey rolls
>Ask around where Aaron lives
>>
>>43530709
>Buy some honey rolls
Then go home
>>
>>43530709
>Buy some honey rolls.
>Ask around where Aaron lives, and what he do in the city, just the common stuff you would expect then to say about a local folk.
>Then, go back home, and plan how to have revenge on him.
>Maybe shoving him into the river, but avoiding the chance he has of being saved.
>>
>>43530839
Okay, let's not actually murder someone, that's retarded and will cause trouble not just for us but for our master too.

Now scaring the hell out of him somehow is a different matter.
>>
>>43530709
>>Buy some honey rolls
>>
>>43530709
Do we have enough to buy Kara a mask?
If so, get her a mask for in town.
>>
>>43530709
>Buy some honey rolls
>>
>>43530709
>Buy some honey rolls
Poor girl's still pretty shaken up I'd wager. Getting vengeance on Aaron can wait until another day.
>>
>>43530878
>Now scaring the hell out of him somehow is a different matter.

>in a time rife with superstition and angry peasants, scaring a child half to death so they can embellish the tale and make every angry at the people they already distrust and want gone

Yeah, great fucking plan. Do you want a mob? That's how you get a mob. Death with no evidence or bust.
>>
>>43530942
We're not playing some hardcore killer here, you realize? You really think we can lure them down to the river, drown them and hide the body without anyone finding out?
>>
>>43530942
That's what I called for. We drown him, nobody gets to know, it is blamed as an ''accident''. We just know better.
>>
>>43530994
Yes.

We may not be a hardcore killer, but we're not an idiot.
>>
>>43530709
How about i make you my honey roll chuckles?
>>
>>43530942
>>43531016
Save your muderhoboing for the witches and bad creatures of the world.
>>
>>43531041
s-senpai
>>
>>43530942
>>43531016
>>43531035
Okay, then...
1: how do we lure him down there
2: how do we overpower him and his two friends
3: how do we ensure that their bodies aren't found
4: how do we do all this in a small town where most people know each other without anyone finding out

We're not playing a master criminal here. We're playing a fourteen year old boy.
>>
>>43531075
>We're playing a fourteen year old boy.

Kids are cruel, Jack.
>>
Rolled 8 (1d20)

>>43531063
Rolling for flirt
>>
>>43531091
Well, not just that, I also meant that he has no idea how to do any of this shit, armchair assassins are just talking as if getting away with murder is simple.
>>
>>43531091
I don't think most 14 year olds jump to assassination as the go to for fixing a problem.
>>
File: 1441079823394.jpg (48 KB, 700x520) Image search: [Google]
1441079823394.jpg
48 KB, 700x520
>>43531143
They just aren't being honest with themselves.
>>
I nudge her, “We still have some money left, want a honey roll?”

She purses her lips, nodding eagerly. “Thanks Leon.” The top of her hood is pressing up slightly, her ears tensed up, even if she’s trying to hide it, and she keeps nervously thumping her left foot on the ground.

I pay for two, the pastry soft and flaky, as I toss one to the girl. She seems to calm down a bit as she bites into it, taking a seat on a nearby stone. I sit with her, setting the groceries down and taking a moment to breathe. Those boys nearly killed me.... and yet here I am, just pretending it didn’t happen. Kind of makes the honey roll taste a little bit sweeter knowing I could have died.

Kara’s less spooked, having gotten something in her stomach, leaning against me softly as I finish up. “You’re sure you don’t want to tell the guards about this?” She asks, glancing around.

I nod, “It’ll just put a bigger target on my back.” I ask her to wait just a few more minutes as I ask passersby where Aaron lives, finding out that he lives with his parents, out near the sawmill, a slight way up the hill.

I thank the woman who told me all this, and pick up our sacks of groceries, heading back home for now.

Marmalade is still sunning herself by the time we get back, but picks herself up and walks back along with us, purring with contentment as she brushes herself against my leg for a moment.

“Poor thing… to know what everyone’s saying, but she can’t even talk…” Kara sighs, “It was bad enough just for a few hours on the full moon when I couldn’t talk to you. But all the time?”

Marmalade stares up at her, giving the best attempt at a shrug a cat can give, before she clambers up on top of a bench and lays back to sun herself some more.
>>
“You were gone a while.” Mr Johnson comments dryly as we pack the food away. “Were you that taken with the sights of Arling Miss Mellerud?” He asks, scratching something in a notebook.”

Kara’s eyes flicker over to me. “Well, Leon showed me all the sights around town, and he kept me safe from everyone….”

Mr Johnson’s eyes flick up, “I'm sensing a 'but' on the tip of your tongue.”

>Nothing
>I was attacked, nearly drowned
>We spent some spare change on treats. Sorry.
>Write in
>>
>>43531582
>>
>>43531582
No reason to keep it from Mr Johnson.
>>
>>43531582
Could you, perhaps, wink wink nudge nudge, do something about it?
>>
>>43531582
>>Write in

A wild faggot appeared with his two twigs and tried to drown me with their considerable numbers.
>>
“I was attacked by the river. Some older boys have taken a disliking to me.” I rub the bandage on my head, “They ganged up on me and gave me a beating, then shoved me in the river when I was on my knees. I would have drowned if it weren’t for a passing bargeman.”

The spook takes a moment to process this. “And? How did you retaliate?” He asks, grabbing a slip of paper and an envelope and beginning to write on it. “Did you call the guards down on your would be murderers?”

“Well… no.” I admit.

“And why not?” He asks. “Do you presume to take justice into your own hands?” He asks. “I can’t forbid you from it, I’m not your father. And after all, we do dispense justice as far as witches are concerned. But that is only because we’re the only ones capable of effectively dealing with them.” The scratch of his quill on paper continues. “Had you considered, perhaps, that these boys thought you could swim? That they hadn’t been trying to kill you, but instead just to mock you? I understand that getting people wet is rather amusing to simpletons.”

“They still attacked him!” Kara interjects, “Aren’t you going to do anything about it?” She asks.

The spook runs his eyes over her as she shrugs her cloak off. “No. This I leave in Leon’s hands. Boy; you’re free to handle this in whatever manner you see fit.” He finishes his letter, seals it with some wax and returns to scribbling in his book in silence.

Kara’s looking at me, worry evident on her face.

>I’ll scare them off from coming near me again.
>I’ll tell the guards about it next time I’m in town.
>Write in
>>
>>43532236
>''They'll never again cross the path of a spook, I swear!!''
>>
>>43532236
>We do nothing.

"When a real witch comes along, they'll need our help. That is when we remind them of their little 'trick'."
>>
>>43532236
>>
>>43532236
>>Write in
Is feasting on their entrails an option?
>>
>>43532236
>>
>>43532311 here
just to say, fuck it, changing to >>43532313
>>
>>43532357
Probably best not to joke about things like that with a guy who might've seen what someone looks like after having their entrails feasted on.
>>
>>43532236
>Write in
I'll do nothing, until they attack me next time. I'll take care of it then.
>>
I shake my head, “Simple. I won’t do anything unless they give me a reason too. Including if they should… need our services.”

The spook raises an eyebrow, but says nothing, continuing his writing. “If you say so.” He jerks his spare thumb over his shoulder. “Girl. That vegetable patch is nowhere near done. You got half the day off, but it’s time to get back to it.”

Kara starts to say something, then decides against it, nodding and hurrying out the door, before the spook turns to me. “Now. As for you, I’ll give you a choice for the rest of the day. You can help the girl with the garden, you look like you could use some muscle- or you could start work on this.”

He pulls a heavy book off his shelf, ‘Notes on Boggarts’. “Second most common issue around these parts is boggarts of some variety, after witches, you'd only need an afternoons worth of reading to get the basics, before I put you back onto witches. Pick your poison.”

>I’ll start the book
>I’ll help with the garden.
>Could you teach me how to swim?
>I have an idea… (Write in)
>>
>>43532948
>>
>>43532948
Need some more strength.
>>
>>43532948
>I’ll start the book
Swimming lessons can be saved for our new acquaintance the pirate queen.
>>
>>43532948
>>
>>43532948

Got
>>
File: Kara.jpg (433 KB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
Kara.jpg
433 KB, 2000x3000
I stare out the window, “I’ll give Kara a hand with the garden. I don’t think she really knows what she’s doing out there.”

He grunts, “She’s got the tools with her. Enjoy.”

The heat of the day is still high, as I grab the hoe and try and hack some of the weeds out of parts of the untouched garden, as Kara plants a second row of potatoes in the patch she has cleared, earning an appreciative smile for my work.

It’s hot, dirt and sweaty work, as I rip the rest of the weeds out of the ground, tossing them in a bucket and setting them aside to mulch, before I start tilling the rest of the soil. Kara catches sight of me, after she completes another row. “Leon, you should get a drink! You’re redder than a beet.”

I take a moment to run a bucket up from the well, dunking my head in the water and drinking deeply, as Kara joins me, both of us panting for breath. “You should probably take your shirt off.” She mentions off hand. “The more dirt you get in it, the harder it will be to wash out.”

I feel a lump rise in my throat at that, my hands start violently shaking as- “I’ll be alright.” I assure her, quickly running back to the garden. No thank you.

With all the potatoes planted, we get a row of carrots and leeks in, before one final row of miscellaneous herbs; some for cooking, some apparently for repelling certain dark creatures. Rosemary for both.
>>
The sun is a hairs breadth above the horizon by the time we call it quit. It’s still not entirely finished, but I helped put a serious dent in the workload. Now all that Kara needs is to plant some turnips and tomatoes, and she’ll be set to let the garden flower.

My limbs on the other hand, feel like they’ve turned to jelly, my arms hurt if I try and lift them above waist height, my back hurts from all the kicks it took, and I think my head is bleeding again… but I did some good work today.

“Thanks for the help Leon.” Kara mentions, plucking at my shirt, a shower of soil raining down around me. “You really are filthy though.” It’s not like she can talk, she’s got dirt caked into her hair, both on her head, and the short fuzz on the back of her ears, as well as into her clothes. “Guess that’ll be my job tomorrow, before I plant the rest of this stuff. But hey, at least I’ll be doing something useful. And not getting you killed because I wanted to see the town.”

>I can help with the washing?
>I really need a bath.
>It’s not your fault, understood?
>Write in
>>
>>43533522
Leon is beta as fuck
>>
>>43533522
That was just our lies coming back to bite us in the ass. We should have done something more permanent to them the first time.
>>
>>43533522
I've never been very good at dealing with people
>>
I shake my head, "No, no. It wasn't your fault. It’s at least partially mine, I’d lied to them a few days ago, to get out of them taking my money. Turns out I’m not a very reliable liar, as you saw today.”

She chews the inside of her lip, her left ear twitching forward and hitting me in the nose. “Sorry!” She yelps, grabbing at the base of her ears. “Empathetic response… My ears always respond to my feelings.” She steadies herself, “It’s just… do you think that he was telling the truth? Mr Johnson? Maybe they actually thought you could swim? They ran off when you didn’t come back up, and they all looked really scared.”

I shrug, “Either way, they still beat the hell out of me, and shoved me in.”

Kara pouts, but nods, “Yeah… Sorry I was so slow getting the guardsman.” She grabs me into a tight hug again. “If you’d drowned down there… I couldn’t forgive myself… and I don’t think Mr Johnson would believe me if I told him either… he’d think I’d pushed you.”

I clear my throat, “I- well, I don’t think he would. Gruff as he might be, I think he’s taken a liking to you. He knows you’re not a threat to us.”

She pulls away, sniffing gently. “Thank you…” She whispers, “I’m going to take a bath now… it’s been a hard day.”

I let her take it first, averting my eyes as she leaves the door open. It seems lapines don’t care for decency as much as humans do… I clear my head by throwing my window open, letting fresh air flood into the room, before I catch myself in my mirror. I am pretty gross looking.

A memory comes back to me, the list of names behind the mirror…

My musings are interrupted by Kara, telling me she’s done cleaning. By the time I’ve scrubbed myself clean, the spook and Kara have both already eaten their fill of dinner, with Marmalade trying her best to sneak food out of my bowl. I shoo her away, sitting down at the table.

>Ask the spook about his previous apprentice
>Ask about the boy who’s name was scratched out.
>Ask how long until his foot is healed.
>Other
>>
>>43534009
>>
>>43534009
>Ask the spook about his previous apprentice
Gotta learn from the mistakes of others.
>>
>>43534009
>>
"Master..." I pause again, trying to pick my words. "Those names, behind my mirror, they were all your previous apprentices, right?"

His brow furrows, old grief clouding over him, "Aye."

"Well there was one in particular I wanted to ask about." I cough awkwardly as he looks up at me. "There was this one; Piter Surrich? But before Surrich, the name Johnson was crossed out..."

The spook stands, his chair scraping loudly across the floor. "I don't want to talk about that welp." He states, doing his best to keep anger out of his voice. "Do yourself a favour and forget that name."

"I-"

He takes his crutches and limps off determinedly. "Enjoy your dinner. Lessons start tomorrow at the usual time."

The stairs groan as he forces himself up, Kara, Marmalade and I listening in silence.

“Do… you think he had a son?” Kara asks.

“Johnson is a rather common name.” I admit, scratching the back of my head. “But the way he talked about him… it’s hard to say. And why else would he scratch the name out?”

Kara shrugs, watching the roof as we hear his footsteps upstair, then a door slamming, dust trickling down from the ceiling. I protect my food from the stream, before gulping the rest down hungrily.”

The next two days pass much the same, Mr Johnson in an abrasive mood, he sets me a lesson, for the day, then refuses to talk to me, leaving me to study, and occasionally help Kara finish up work on the garden.

By just after lunch, it’s finally all finished. We water the crop, surveying our little patch with pride, some of the first potatoes planted already sprouting tiny bits of green. Mr Johnson reminds me through the window that my staff should be finished today as well, as we clean off at the well.

He doesn’t give Kara a new job now that the gardens done, while I pull on some fresh clothes to head into town.

>Take her along.
>Head in alone.
>Write in
>>
>>43534428
>Take her along
If we get into a fight she can go for help.
>>
>>43534428
>Take her along.
>>
“You wanna tag along?” I offer.

She hops a little on the spot, before she manages to stop herself, “Yes please.”

I ruffle Marmalades ears on the way down the path, heading into town. No one by the bell today, allowing us to continue on into town. The people seem restless today, all muttering among themselves and casting fearful looks at the road leading north. “Can you make out anything they’re saying?” I ask Kara, unable to pick anything out as we walk.

She concentrates heavily for a few moments, “A man rode through town a while back. Said that a nearby castle has had internal cave ins….” She winces, “They found tunnels under the building. Big ones. Lapine sized.”

Ah.

I hurry her along, thanking Jorg as I pick up my staff, the wood now polished bright and shiny, the grip smoothed out and comfortable in my grip, and the head’s been cleaned up, a proper smashing tip to it now. “Not a bad piece of woodwork kid.” He comments. “Shame you aren’t normal, wouldn’t mind taking you on as my own apprentice.”

Kara bristles at the insult, but I stop her from stepping forward. “I appreciate it sir.” I mutter, giving the staff a few test swings, getting a feel for the finished weight.

On the way back through town, Kara tries to pick up more information from a group of nattering housewives, but we’re interrupted by a red headed giant stepping in my path, looming over both of us. “Avast!” She snarls, shooting us a grin. “How’re you doing Leon?” Alison asks, tapping the bandage on my head, while I notice she’s drawn a scar on her cheek with charcoal, but she’s lost the eyepatch now.

“Healing up, could be better.” I inform her. “This is Kara.”

She nods to the lapine, “Well? Any plans to get those scallywags who robbed you yet? I’m always game for helping the weak.” She pulls her weapon from her hip, twirling it expertly.

>I’m not weak, thank you.
>Can you drop the pirate thing, please?
>Feel free to mess with them, I’m not.
>Actually, do you know how to swim?
>Write in
>>
>>43534910
Never know when it might come in handy in our profession.
>>
>>43534910
>I’m not weak, thank you.
>>
>>43534910
"Do the window hangings match the floor coverings?"
>>
>>43534910
>>
>>43534910
>>
>>43534910
>>
“Actually, I could use a hand. You wouldn’t happen to know how to swim, would you?”

She nods, “Aye, wouldn’t make a very good sailor if I couldn’t now could I?”

“But your barge doesn’t have a sail.” Kara points out, earning a dismissive glance from Alison.

“I take it you’re wanting some lessons then?” She asks, rapping some knuckles off my shoulder. “Aye I can teach you. She grabs me around the shoulders and forcefully drags me towards the nearby bend in the river. “First lesson first, don’t panic.” She laughs, shoving me forwards onto another jetty, out into a deeper part of the river. “Boots off and in you pop!” She orders, fumbling at her own, unbuckling her own belt as well, the piece seemingly for fashion and holding her weapon on. “Leather’s the last thing you want to be wearing if you can help it.”

Kara tries to interject, “Um, Leon, are you sure about this? Perhaps you should try in the shallows first.”

Alison adopts a wide stance, blocking the narrow way up the jetty. “You can’t fear the water!” She growls. “Like I said, first lesson. You jump into the deep end and nature kicks in. All you have to do is hold your breath and keep your head above the water. Bodies all want to float. Even dead ones, for a while….” She shakes her head, “Not the point.” She jabs a finger at the water, “In!”
>>
Kara is doing her best to get out of it, as Alison tries to coerce the cloak off her. “Leon, you’re sister, what’s wrong with her? Pox scars or something?” She asks, try to tug back Kara’s hood. “I don’t care two ninnys what you look like, you’re not swimming in that.”

“I’m not his sister!” Kara wails, doing her best to slip by the the redhead while keeping her hood down. “Please, just let me go. I don’t want to swim.

Alison shoots me a grin, “I will as soon as this pansy hops in the river.” She shoots me a wink, “If you start drowning, I’ll be right in after you alright?” She lets Kara slip past her, but keeps a hold of the smaller girls wrist, “Deal?”

>You let Kara go first
>Okay, jeez!
>I really don’t need to swim this badly.
>Write in
>>
>>43535278
>Okay, jeez!
>>
>>43535278
>>You let Kara go first

Warn her that bad things will happen if she removes her hood.
>>
>>43535278
>>You let Kara go first
>>
>>43535278
>Okay, jeez!
We really can't risk revealing her ears
>>
>>43535341
That's probably the most suspicious thing we could say in this situation
>>
>>43535278
>Okay, jeez!
>>
Alrighty, gonna need a d20 roll on this one DC is 16
>>
Rolled 3 (1d20)

>>43535516
>>
Rolled 19 (1d20)

>>43535516
RIP Leon
>>
>>43535516
come on you pussies, can't wuss out just cos we rolled well
>>
Rolled 14 (1d20)

>>43535603
fug
>>
Well the threads either dead, or everyones to big of a wuss to risk a 1

moving on, but this post on, if no one else rolls enough dice to meet 5, i'll roll them myself
>>
Rolled 2 (1d20)

>>43535647
Sorry dude, I was asleep, and just woke up. You started in like 5 in the morning, and now its like bit over 10 in the morning for me.
Rolling additional 1's
>>
Rolled 13 (1d20)

>>43535516
>>
"Okay! Jeez!" I gesture for Kara to stay calm, slipping my boots off, laying them down with my shirt, and staff, I jump off the end of the jetty.

I plummet into the water feet first, doing my best to keep my head up. I thrash a little, as I see the surface retreat away from me, sinking into the deep blue of the river, but I keep my lips shut and do my best to keep my head clear.

I give a few determined kicks, and sure enough, my body starts to rocket back up towards the surface.

I break, gasping for air and spitting some of the water out, floundering about.

"Stop flailing!" Alison calls, having let Kara go. "You burn more energy moving in water, and flailing about's a sure fire way to get killed."

I stop and instantly start to sink, as Alison grabs my staff up and holds it out to me. "Grab on." She barks, giggling quietly to herself. "And kick, hard. Keep air in your lungs and kick steadily, that's all you need to float."

I grab the end of my staff, clinging to it for dear life, as the river's slow current starts to pull me downstream.

"You okay Leon?" Kara calls from the shore, carrying the rest of my things for me.

"He's fine!" Alison laughs, keeping me from drifting away. "Now, here's your basic kick if you want to move, we'll practice your arms later, but for now the legs. You want to kick them in a circle, like how frog jumps, can you do that?"
>>
I give it my best go, shooting forward a little bit against the current, before it sweeps me back Alison's grip on my staff steady and sure. "Again!" She barks, "Can't just kick once and expect to get anywhere, what'll happen if you gotta fight the tide? Or a rip? Or outswim a mighty sea beast?"

I don't even know what half those terms mean...

She keeps me practising that one kick until I'm exhausted, my grip on the staff slowly weakening, until she drags me in, grabs me by the wrist, her grip like a vice as she helps haul me up out the water.

"Look at that Leon, didn't even have to go in after you!" She laughs. "You'll get your sea legs yet!"

Now that one I do know. "That's not what sea legs are." I point out, "Sea legs is the ability to walk on the deck of a boat with the rolling of the ocean."

Alison frowns a little, "Yeah? Well... ar, shut your mouth." She grabs me around the neck, hugging me into her chest and ruffling my hair. "Either way, you did good for your first lesson. Didn't even have to jump in after you. Would've been a pain too, since I'm wearing this." She gestures to her very white shirt, before rapping her knuckles off my shoulder again. "Now get dressed and get home before you catch a cold." She orders, before tilting her head to the side, her hair bouncing as she moves "Say, where is it you're living anyway? Don't see you in any of the village houses."

Oh right, she doesn't know.

>With Mr Johnson, up the road.
>Just outside the village
>I'm from Galo actually, just visiting, you won't see us again. What a shame
>Write in
>>
>>43535831
No point in lying.
Also we should get some good sharp sticks as trowing spears.
>>
>>43535831
>Just outside the village
Not lying either, but we can let her warm up to us a bit more first.
>>
>>43535831
>>
File: Alison.jpg (241 KB, 808x1198) Image search: [Google]
Alison.jpg
241 KB, 808x1198
I point westward, “Just up the road, with Mr Johnson.” I tell her, expecting a poor reaction.

“Oh. You’re the new spook, are you?” She asks nonchalantly. “I wanted to be a spook when I was little, even asked Old Johnson if I could sign up, but he told me to piss off. Apparently I didn’t meet the qualifications.” She shrugs, “Ah well, I think I can settle for being ruler of the nine seas instead.” She claps me between the shoulders, “Still, learning all that magic mumbo jumbo would’ve been handy…” Her grin fades, “You ever see what a siren does to a pregnant woman? Not pretty.” She waves a hand in a small arc, before making a splooshing noise combined with a slashing motion. “Bye bye…”

Well. This got uncomfortable very quickly. Kara steps in, pulling me free and handing my shirt back. “We… have to get going now. Mr Johnson will be wanting us home soon.”

Alison’s suddenly all smiles again, “Alright, alright.” She jabs me in the sternum, “Be back here in three days for another lesson, and practice that kick at home, lying on your bed. I’ll know if you’ve been slacking.”

Kara’s doing her best to tug me away, “I’ll…. make sure I do that.” I promise her.

Alison grins, nodding to the lapine. “One more question before you go. Why’s your little girlfriend not want to show her face? She ugly or something?”

>Girlfriend? No, no, no, no.
>She’s not ugly!
>Well, can you keep a secret?
>Write in

ending soonish
>>
>>43536154
>>Write in
Magic related. Let's just say showing her face would be bad for everybody involved.
>>
>>43536154
>She’s not ugly!
>>43536183
I don't understand how you still think its a good idea to say this
>>
>>43536154
"She's just very hare-y."
>>
File: Trollface.png (41 KB, 471x479) Image search: [Google]
Trollface.png
41 KB, 471x479
>>43536245
Why not? it's not like its secret we are spook and handle such things.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d3)

>>43536183
>>43536245
>>43536280
welp. I'm just gonna roll between these 3 I guess
>>
>>43536444
You started at an odd time. This is the future you chose.

My best on the upcoming wedding.
>>
>>43536468
This is what I get for living in a prison nation
also thanks man
>>
I feel my lips curl back, trying to think of a way to put it. “It’s…. magic related.”

Alison shoots a wary look at Kara, “She a witch or something?”

I shake my head, “No, no, no, no. She’s just got magic that affects her. Bad things would happen for everyone involved if her face gets seen.”

The redhead nods sagely. “A witch cursed her to be ugly. Gotcha!” She shoots me another wink, “Cute boy like you wouldn’t just be seeing a girl that’s just normally ugly.”

Kara thumps her foot in the dirt, “I’m not cursed or ugly!” She pouts, “A-nd I’m not his girlfriend either! He’s just letting me stay in their house for… a while.”

Alison smirks, an eyebrow disappearing into her hairline, “Goodness, the little spook and the cursed girl. How adorable. I’ll make it a merry shanty, just you see.” She shoves me back towards Kara, “Now go on! Get, you got a curse to break.”

I can practically feel the anger radiating off the lapine, quickly hurrying her away, thanking Alison for the lesson. I quickly escort the shorter girl through town, her ears twitching every few seconds, straining to be free from under her hood, anger apparently ups their twitchiness.

As soon as we round a corner, on the path home, she whips her hood back, ears swinging free. “How dare she! That girl is insane! She practically held me hostage, just to get you to take some swimming lessons?” She thumps the ground again, “And then she keeps going on about girlfriends a-and boyfriends! And calling me ugly. Me? When she’s got that hideous scar on her face?”

“That scar was painted on.” I point out, thinking of a proper response to that whole rant.

>As soon as I know how to swim, we won’t see her again.
>I like her, kind of.
> You’re cute when you’re angry
>Write in
>>
>>43536540
> You’re cute when you’re angry
>>
>>43536540
>I like her, kind of.
>>
>>43536540
>You're cute when you're angry
>>
>>43536540
>you're cute when you're angry
>>
Actually, I'll keep going, but I'll be gone a little while for dinner

Peace out
>>
Alright, lets get this shit show back on the road
>>
Oh right, should have done this earlier

Roll me a d20 for that -charisma check

DC is 17
>>
Rolled 19 (1d20)

>>43536911
rollin for spaghetti
>>
Rolled 16 (1d20)

>>43536911
Well this ain't working out probably.
>>
>>43536911
rollan
>>
>>43536981
Hi rollan, I am dad.
>>
Rolled 16 (1d20)

>>43536911
>>
Rolled 7, 4 = 11 (2d20)

Alright, I'm just gonna go for the last two since we're ded
>>
I give her a sidelong look, “You know… you’re really cute when you’re angry.” I point out.

She continues ranting, “And she wore that eyepatch, even though her eyes are fine! What a faker, I bet she-” She blinks about five times in one second. “Excuse me?” She asks, head jerking back to me.

“I, uh… I just said I think you’re cute when you’re angry.” I tell her, “You get all thumpy, and your ears start twitching and…” I trail off, shrugging and giving her a smile.

The anger in her face softens and fades, “Oh. Well, thank you. That’s very sweet of you Leon.” She clears her throat again, “But she can’t just talk to us like that! You’re important to the people, you stop monsters, right? And all she does is carry fish up a river, big deal!” She lapses into a silence, but her thumping has stopped, and she’s got a little smile on her face.

Marmalade meows loudly from a tree branch, just as I was about keep talking, leaping down onto Kara’s back, digging her claws softly into the cloak, before letting herself slip down. The cat gives me a long suffering look, positioning itself between Kara and I as we approach the house.

I cough to break the silence, feeling a tickle in my throat.

“You’re not getting a cold are you?” Kara asks, concern in her tone. “You should have a bath tonight, as hot as you can make it! Should flush it right out if you’re lucky.”

I let us into the house, the spook’s silently raised brow asking what took so long.

>I was having swimming lessons
>There was this girl called Alison, thinks she knows you.
>Write in
>>
>>43537111
>>
>>43537111
>>
>>43537111
>>
>>43537111
>>I was having swimming lessons
>>There was this girl called Alison, thinks she knows you.
>>
>>43537111
>>
>>43537111
>>
“I was just… having some swimming lessons in town. Figured it was about time I learned, since I almost drowned the other day.” I inform him.

He nods approvingly. “A wise choice. You saw a weakness in yourself and chose to eliminate it.” He scribbles out a few more notes. “That may come in handy more than you’d think. Should you need to escape a witch hunting you, a river is a good choice, the deeper and wider the better.”

“Thank you sir.” I nod in agreement.

He sighs and shuts his book. “It’s okay boy.” He shakes his head, “I’ve been rough on you the last few days. It’s just there are some parts of my life that I don’t want to talk about. Piter Surrich is one of them. I know you’re an inquisitive mind, but just don’t press me on it. Understood?”

He seems to be half pleading, half ordering as he says it. “Understood sir.” I nod.

The spook smiles gratefully. “Good. I see your staff came out well then?” He gestures for me to hand it to him, as he inspects the work Jorg did on it. “A fine job as usual. May charge more than he’s worth, but he does a damn fine job.”

Next he snaps his fingers at Kara. “You. With the garden done, I realise I’ve left you without a duty. Do you know anything about sewing?” She shakes her head side to side. “Hrrm. Cooking?” Another no. “I’ll have to teach you some of that, but in the meantime, during the day you can… Hmm.” He seems at a loss. “Well, I don’t have anything for you to do at the moment.” He plucks the book he’d had me fill in information on Lapines. “For now, you’re job is to fill this with everything you can remember about your home, your family, everything. Understood?”

She nods, “Yes sir.”
>>
He nods, “And since Leon’s handwriting is near illegible in this section, would you mind filling it in again?” He asks, pointing to the… reproduction section. Damn it. Kara gives it a glance over, avoiding looking at me, as one of her ears twitches about again. “Oh, and while you’re at it, I’d like a run down translation on what all these ear movements mean.” He adds, “Like a dictionary of sorts.”

“Yes… sir.” She nods, slower this time, mimicking my lip curling wince thing.

I cough again, the spook taking notice. “You. Flush that out before it gets any worse.” He hands me a small sack of herbs. “Let that sit in the water while it heats. Should help.”

I thank him, heating the water and letting his remedy dissolve as I climb in. The water is near scalding hot, but… I think it is helping a little, as I stare at the wall blankly, steam and the light foam doing little to keep my attention.

The door cracks open without warning, Kara, ignoring me as she inspects herself in the mirror, delicately cleaning dirt out of her ears, before she hurries over to the tub. I gather the foam about myself, trying to preserve some decency as she aprroaches, rapping her knuckles against the side. “Make some room?” She asks casually.

“I… what?” I hiss, glancing at the open door.

She tilts her head, “Make some room please?” She repeats, before glancing back. “Oh… you don’t have communal baths here, do you?”

>Kara, no!
>The spook will kill me!
>It’d be impolite to refuse her.
>Write in
>>
>>43537477
>The spook will kill me!
>>
>>43537477
>Kara, no!
Some privacy please.
>>
>>43537477
>It’d be impolite to refuse her.
>>
>>43537477
>The spook will kill me!
>>
>>43537484
>>43537488
What's wrong with sharing a bath?
>>
>>43537477
>The spook will kill me!
>>
>>43537497
>>43537544
Why would he? This is medieval time version of sharing a jacuzzi. We could even make our own bubbles.
Man I a m salty about your votes.
>>
>>43537578
Believe me, Kara bath time is something I am very interested in, but it wouldn't be Kara bath time, it would be Leon explaining to Mr Johnson why the entire bath tub was filled with tightly packed spaghetti.
>>
>>43537604
https://youtu.be/XOCwt6k-Nx4?t=3m41s
Ain't nothing wrong with that.
>>
calling it
>>
I shake my head, “The spook will kill me if he catches you in here with me.” I hiss, sinking further down into the water. “Around these parts, bathing is separate.” I point at the door, “He already jabs at me for bringing you here because I thought you were pretty.”

She dips her head, smiling again. “Well… you do, right?”

I smack my forehead, “Well… yes, but he’ll think you’re brainwashing me with that thing you do to most men.”

She opens her mouth, then shuts it again. “And I’m not, am I?”

I slap myself across the face a few times, but… no she still looks the same. “No. Now, please, can you get out before the spoo-”

“Shut the door while you’re in there boy!” the spook calls from the doorway, pulling the door shut. “Don’t want the girl wandering in on that, do you?”

Kara and I exchange nervous looks at that, the door heavy and the hinges squeaky and loud. No one’s getting out through there without being noticed. “Well, now what?” She sighs, resting her chin on her hand, as steam trails out through the small window behind her.

>Think you can climb out through the window?
>Just… sit still, and you can leave when I do.
>Might as well share now, right?
>Write in
>>
>>43537727
>Think you can climb out through the window?
>>
>>43537727
Make awkward conversation in the meantime. The spaghetti train has no brakes.
>>
>>43537727
>>
>>43537727
>Might as well share now, right?
>>
“Just… sit still, and you can leave through the door when I do.” I tell her.

She nods, sitting down next to to the tub and crossing her legs, staring at me…. “Kara, could you… turn around or something, please?”

She spins in place, the soft fuzz on the back of her ears brushing my arm. I breathe a sigh of relief, trying to ignore her as I return to washing myself, the bar of soap my only saviour in this nightmare situation. “So, I’ve been thinking.” She starts suddenly. “Mayb-”

“Kara.” I cut her off. “Can it wait until I have some clothes on please?” She nods patiently, the tips of her ears accidentally into the high water level of the tub.

“Errgh.” She whines, trying to flick them dry. “Oh well, soaped them up a little bit.” She runs her hands up into them massaging the soapy water into her, long steady strokes up her…. still don’t know whether to call it hair or fur, or-

“Kara? Does your hair change colour in winter or anything like that?” I ask, taking my mind off her movements.

She glances back at me, “Well, yes? How’d you know?” She prompts. “It gets thicker and turns creamy white around November back home.” She gestures out the window, “Though with the climate around here, I wish it would grow in any day now.” She gripes. “Maybe it will, if I’m lucky. Humans hair doesn’t change colour?”

So, lapines have a winter coat. Interesting. “Not seasonally anyway. I think we do get slightly thicker hair during winter… but that could just be people don’t see the barber.”

I hock a solid lump of phlegm out the window, my chest feeling a lot free-er after that bath. “Ummm, Kara, could you bring my clothes over please?” I ask, “Without looking?”

She hands them to me with a towel, dutifully keeping her eyes in a corner, as I dress, before I open the door, letting us both creep out, Kara forgetting her bath, as Marmalade watches the both of us with accusatory eyes.
>>
The spook catches me as I head to my room. “Leon, you were in town, did you hear anything of these tunnels under Reaufort castle?” He asks.

“Yes, actually. Something about a armoury floor collapsing?” I respond. “Kara thought it sounded like a Lapine.”

He eyes me, “And you didn’t share this until I asked?” He sighs, before shaking his head. “All the same, my ankles near fixed, and Reaufort isn’t to far from Blackrock. This might be the Lapine that tried to kill us making these new tunnels. Four days from now, we’re going to go check it out. You, me and the girl. We need her to tell us how they think.”

“Will we be taking a cart again, or…?” He wordlessly points at my boots. “Of course, sir.” He nods, “Well then good night.”

Four days left in Arling, until we go hunting an enemy we barely know anything about… well, I see no single way that this could go wrong.

>End of Spook Quest #3
>>
Thanks for the thread, Chuckles.

Kara remains best girl.
>>
>>43538014
I dunno, crazyfu pirate girl ticks some of my boxes
>>
>>43538023
So you like men, then?
>>
>>43538111
Now now, there's nothing wrong with pirate girl, in other quests she'd probably be my favorite too. It's not her fault that she can't compare to dat bun.
Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.