[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exalted General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: Fire.jpg (219 KB, 773x1000) Image search: [Google]
Fire.jpg
219 KB, 773x1000
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Backer Core https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByD2BL6J89Nick41YUk0RUt3YlU
>Online charsheet:
http://howsfamily.net/Exalted
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

What kind of awesome familiars have you/one of your players had?
>>
Daily reminder that Rich, Holden, and Morke are liars.
>>
>>43526689
That's a picture of Pele, Polynesian goddess of volcanoes.
>>
>>43526967
I think you mean: Pele, new Dragon Blooded Waifu.
>>
>>43526927
thanks anon

it is good to be reminded
>>
>>43526967
I thought so, but I wasn't sure. What's her Hawaiian name?
>>
>>43527521
>In the Hawaiian religion, Pele ( /ˈpeJleJ/ Pel-a; [ˈpɛlɛ]), the Fire Goddess, is the goddess of fire, lightning, wind and volcanoes and the creator of the Hawaiian Islands. Often referred to as "Madame Pele" or "Tūtū Pele" as a sign of respect, she is a well-known deity within Hawaiian mythology, and is notable for her contemporary presence and cultural influence as an enduring figure from ancient Hawaii.[1] Epithets of the goddess include Pele-honua-mea ("Pele of the sacred land") and Ka wahine ʻai honua ("The earth-eating woman").
>>
>>43526689
Animal familiars are kind of awful even if you dump XP into them, since they don't get Excellencies or other Charms. They're useful early but drop off really sharply after a little while.

Making a blood ape with the Occult capstone and training it in Ebon Shadow and Tiger has been pretty awesome, though.
>>
First-time player, wanting to write up a Night Caste that is a firstborn son of a minor Realm family, who uses his position to aid his Circle by carrying out assassinations inside the Realm.

I want to use Single Point as my primary combat style. Is it worth increasing Melee too, or just Martial Arts?
>>
>>43528822
Sorry, meant to say "thirdborn" son.
>>
>>43528822
>>43528846

Increase Melee as well and pick up the defence charms from it. Single Point only has Gathering Light Concentration. You basically want Dipping Swallow Defence and a number of charms that build off of it.
>>
>>43528974
Okay, thanks.
>>
Do Crane & Nightingale Styles have any kind of synergy?
>>
>>43529211
No.

Nightingale has zero synergies with anything but Dodge and some E1 Performance Charms.
>>
>>43529317
Crap. Okay thanks. I'm playing an Eclipse whose entire schtick is "get in the middle of arguments and beat down both sides until they agree to talk things out" and while Crane has been a lot of fun for that, I wanted to expand my combat repitoire a bit, and wasn't having much luck finding something else that fit.
>>
>>43529211

They don't share any form weapons, and due to the fact that SVN uses Kiais' instead of unarmed attacks, it doesn't seem to be able to be used with anything.

>>43529386

If that's what you want, then you should probably be looking at either Black Claw or Dreaming Pearl.
>>
>>43529463
I looked at them, and Black Claw doesn't seem to fit thematically to me. Is there something I'm missing?
>>
>>43529600
That you can rename it Soft-Voiced Maiden style or whatever and refluff as appropriate. The illusion caused by Open Palm Caress is that the current conflict is sourceless rather than initiated by the other party; Flexing the Emerald Claw is an anima kiss that worsens in the heart of the wicked, which is why it goes to lethal if they keep fighting.

Dreaming Pearl Courtesan is also pretty solid if you don't mind being a slut - but you definitely are from the sound of it so no problems there - or you could refluff it as above...

...but honestly Black Claw is the ideal complementary discipline. Look at the mechanics without the fluff: make people like you, sap their initiative with Torn Lotus and Doe Eyes Defense, hold them still with Storm-Calming Embrace.

Heart-Ripping Claw mostly sucks a dick anyway, honestly, since you probably have Willpower 5-6 before burning half of it in a fight.
>>
>>43529600

It's a slight easier to stop a fight if everyone watching loves you and hates the person your fighting.
>>
>>43528546
Pls. Solar mice. Pls. Do you even?
>>
>>43529753
Not in Core. Neither are simhata since they were cut for space.

But at least we have fucking Stegosaurus. I hope whichever backer picked the goddamn dinosaurs gets Morke's brain cancer and turns into Morke and lives like that forever.
>>
>>43529808
>Not in Core.
Were in leak.
Q.E.D. your house of cards, checkmate.
>>
>>43529713
Huh. Hadn't thought of it quite like that.

My character is a bit of a womanizer, but he's not nearly as experienced as he would want you to believe. He's not exactly naive, as much as really, really, REALLY idealistic. His ultimate goal is finding a way to negotiate a kind of cease-fire between the Realm and the Solars. He believes that the Usurpation was a necessary evil, but that the Realm is becoming just as bad, and that the only chance Creation has to survive is for all parties involved to work together.
>>
>>43529933
That sounds incredibly fucking boring to me, but since there's one to three of you every game I guess the problem is my perspective. Anyway, yeah, Black Claw will suit you just fine. Dreaming Pearl doesn't have social effects until deep as fuck, and for

SOME
GOD DAMN
REASON

The armor it creates, the armor that is one third of the benefit of the Form Charm, the armor that is JUST CLOTHES, is NOT compatible with any other no-armor style despite silken armor being PERFECTLY compatible. So fucking stupid.
>>
>>43530093
Oh, another third of your entry Charms and the Form, the weapons, is also useless to you so basically yeah Dreaming Pearl a shit for mixing.

Take Demure Carp Feint if you have Appearance 4+ and you can just burn three dots on an Ability. Never take anything else.
>>
>>43530127
It's not totally useless. You can use the weapon Charm to just buff war fans, which Crane uses, and you weren't going to use Dreaming Pearl Perkytits' Form anyway. But yeah, you can't use the armor Charm, and Flurry of August Leaves is hideously overcosted for everything but the Piercing effect that you can't combine with other stuff because you don't have a Piercing weapong, and the Grappling effect that lets you grapple someone for six goddamn years, but you probably don't have the build for that.

So...what was I saying?

Actually yeah it's kind of useless. I'm kinda disappointed how badly the social styles fail to mix, except Black Claw.
>>
Just how good is Perfect mirror when it comes to disguising yourself as the opposite gender? Just wondering how it interacts because when you use it with persona.
>>
>>43529886
Yeah, and they never should have been in the leak. Horrible, worthless idea.

"Oh, let's make this thing that if you don't take it, you are literally retarded! GENIUS." Reducing limit my asshole.
>>
>>43530093
Hey, different strokes. No offense taken at all.

I usually play Dawns or Nights, and wanted to do something social, but I also wanted to mess with the new combat stuff, so I decided it'd be fun to be the "cowboy diplomat" who wants to save the world and make everyone get along, even as he tries to grapple with how utterly implausible something like that is in reality.
>>
>>43530277
This situation just came to my attention. Why doesn't Flawless Impenetrable design last indefinitely and why doesn't having Legend Mask Methodology make it an exception to the normal persona rules.

That's really retarded.
>>
>>43530471
eh

we solved that problem by making a Limit Break give the entire party xp, so everyone enjoys them

it's a no-brainer solution, but the devs are dedicated no-brainers
>>
>>43526927
They lied about what?
>>
>>43530784
Not sure, but then I never go to the Onyx Path forums.
>>
File: nothingtrue.jpg (16 KB, 339x161) Image search: [Google]
nothingtrue.jpg
16 KB, 339x161
>>43530784
>>
>TFW The more I read persona charms the more I wonder who the their right mind left them in this condition.
How can you waste 3 years on this and still come up with vague unfinished crap.
>>
>>43531641
Superior game design skills, apparently

+20 getting paid to do nothing?
>>
>>43531924
I'm just fustrated. At first Persona charms seemed fun pretty cool. Then you get into them and how they work. It's a huge effort. And unless you max out 5 abilities the spreading them out takes forever.
>>
>>43531924
To be fair, this is twenty-teens freelance RPG writing. I'm not sure that actually counts as getting paid.
>>
as a GM i had a player with a tyrant lizard sized mind squid. It just floated about and ate stuff.
>>
Threads a bit slow. Tell me about instances of forbidden love, /exg/. Tell me about times a Dragon-Blooded Dynast fell in love with an Anathema, when Sidereal Assassin fell in love with a Lunar, when an Abyssal defied his Deathlord to be with his Lunar mate.
>>
>>43528546

Tyrant Lizard with Deadly Predator Method is one of the most powerful beings you can mechanically create at chargen. Stronger than almost all Dawns, even most highly optimized ones.

Familiar-Honing Instruction puts paid to the idea that Solar Familiars can't be relevant even without the existence of Tyrant Lizards, though. Ambush-Predator Method makes it particularly ridiculous. Even a cat with DPM up can be making 18+ damage Decisive attacks every turn without resetting.
>>
>>43529211

Some, maybe. It depends on how your ST interprets the rule about charms that grant attacks granting attacks of their ability. If they interpret that ability as "Martial Arts", you can use Nightingale to make the counterattacks generated by Crane Form. Then you can use Crane's defensive stuff and Nightingale's offensive.

It's not some game-changing combo, but it work together tolerably well.
>>
I'm currently in an argument with my ST regarding reflexive charms and I'm wondering if anyone can help me out.

Really basic scenario where I go on Tick 0, and there's three enemies that go on tick 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

If I use no charms on my tick then I am free and able to use Seven Shadow Evasion (perfect dodge) later on before I take a new action. So let's say enemy 1 launches a flurry at me for 3 attacks, I'm able to SSE 3 times (9 motes) to dodge all of those attacks. This is easily understood via the rules, but now here's the problem.

Am I able to use my charm to also perfect dodge attacks on ticks 2 and 3 from the other two enemies? I'm convinced that since SSE was the only charm I used and it's reflexive, I'm able to use it as many times as I want in response to any action per tick (aka enemies flurries). My ST is convinced that I'm only able to activate a single charm per action (ignoring combos) and that I can't use SSE outside of that single tick of combat (tick 1 in this example).

Any official rulings or thoughts on this? I've tried explaining the issue but I'm in a bind.
>>
>>43532687

I had a character that did exactly that. Familiar was a house cat. Made it incredibly easy to sneak it in anywhere with him, and it was a real beast (heh) in combat.

Of course, it's 14 charms to DPM, so it's pretty much just that one trick at chargen.
>>
>>43532971

2E WHY?!?
>>
>>43532971
You can activate a charm as many times as applicable. The restriction is only how many DIFFERENT charms you can activate.
>>
>>43532971
your st is wrong. you are right.
>>
>>43533006
there are ways around that (a player almost used that and i prepared) there are ways around it but i can't recall.
>>
>>43533021

And it's not even 2.5, how else can you activate SSE three times for nine motes?
>>
>>43533061
Not him, but I'm in a 2.5 game where we houseruled the mote cost increases to PDs and other such defensive charms away because they seemed arbitrary and pointless.
>>
File: 1362687621875.jpg (22 KB, 679x427) Image search: [Google]
1362687621875.jpg
22 KB, 679x427
>>43533086

But then why buy literally any other combat charms? Any and every action will be met with "I perfect."
>>
>>43533021
We're oldfags with old books and haven't bothered to use any 2.5e or errata rulings. I know it's shit but I'm not the ST.

>>43533037
I understand this. If you carefully read the Actions/Reflexive Charms/Charm Activation sections of the core 2nd Edition book you can infer this.

It's hard to even describe his side of the argument. He claims that since charms such as Laughing Gust Denial (we're playing infernals and I'm using the equivalent dodge charm) that allows you to extend perfect defenses to the entire tick is justification that you may only use your perfect dodge FOR that tick. He even suggests that since charms exists that allow you to store perfect defenses for later use (can't recall the name right now), that is even more justification that you can only use your perfect defenses on that single tick. Else why would you even bother to store those perfect defenses in the first place? Hrmm..

It's pretty much retarded. If anyone anywhere has some sort of official ruling or FAQ that spells out that you can use perfects as many times as you want prior to your next action it would be much appreciated. Else I'm probably just not going to play with this ST.
>>
>>43533164

I like to roleplay. Not rollplay
>>
>>43533164
That strategy has been used exactly once so far and almost resulted in a party member dying.

The party member having been the one using the perfects.

He ran out of motes in about two actions and didn't have enough conventional defenses to fall back on.
>>
>>43533488
>"Roleplay, not Rollplay!"
>in "Perfect or Die" edition.

I bet you also don't take Dex 5.
>>
a question for people: what would be your ideal "circle" defaulting to solars but can be other exalt types too. im talking from a pure roleplay perspective, no mechanics none of that. the caste, concept and personality and which character would you be in the circle.

i know this is an involved question but im curious what people's "ideal" exalted party is.
>>
>>43532576
>Sidereal Assassin fell in love with a Lunar
Because with Rakan Thulio, the Green Lady, and at least one infernalist, Heaven didn't have enough traitors.
>>
Well I just found out my job has put me on permanent night shift. While this gives me a meaty raise, this also makes it so the games I GM are not almost impossible and up to the whim of fate.

Does Roll20 allow PbP? If not, does anyone know good PbP boards I could use for my game?
>>
>>43532687
Cats have six dice to claw. You can kick this up to nine dice with Underfoot Menace.

Familiar Honing Instruction lets YOU pay YOUR motes to roll Charisma + Survival to add *dice* to an animal's action. This is, to put it mildly, a bad deal.
>>
>>43527389
Nooope, Pele only exists on the 'Natural Disasters' Board of Gods in Yu Shan.

Sor-ree about that.
>>
>>43533994
All Sidereals have at least one secret they want to hide from Heaven. It comes with living millennia into a heartless backstabbing society.

A Lunar lover is actually pretty tame is it goes.
>>
>>43534437
GitP works as long as you're not playing with GitP people.
>>
>>43533602

I'll bite.

Dawn: A child from a dispossessed community who was enslaved and sent to Dajaz. He would have been the 'reward' for a slave warrior fresh from a victory in an arena, but he killed said gladiator and was sent to fight in his stead. After the kid killed three lions with nothing but a knife, he became a rising star in gladiatorial combat until he butchered his way to freedom during his exaltation. A consummate and cunning warrior, but one that's emotionally broken who's in almost permanent survival mode - and is all the more dangerous for it.

Zenith: A nascent philosopher from the academies of Gem who grew disgusted at the corruption and abuse of power present in nearly every social institution in creation, thus focusing on the maxim that power is intrinsically corrupting. The irony of his exaltation in the face of his philosophy is not lost on him, but he makes the best of it in wandering the South, arguing in favor of direct democratic social systems, interactions with gods sans priesthood, and peaceful but total rebellion against hierarchy. His ideas are spreading like a firestorm throughout the south and is creeping into the west and east.

Twilight: A Blacksmith's daughter from a small southwestern city that had become a tinkerer, inventor, artist and autodidact - something of a Renaissance woman. She became skeptical of the need for the immaculate priesthood in creation and set about engineering alternative solutions to their services. She exalted the night before an immaculate priest would call to have her executed for impertinence, when she planned to have him assassinated with a ballista fired from the edge of town the following day when he came to arrest her.

cont.
>>
>>43535900
Night: A man who by all appearances seems like a simpleton and a brute for a town's gang but is in fact an exceptionally calculating, savvy, and ever-lethal mastermind. Misdirection is his shield, and the discipline of his enforcers his sword, but stripped of either he is still a frightningly capable brawler and a mountain of a man who refuses to be put down. Nobody knew when he exalted, but it became apparent when he beat a squad of dragon blooded soldiers to death with his bare hands.

Eclipse: A Courier. She's a nobody from nowhere whose words bring either salvation or ruination. She's a swift lizard rider, and has killer aim with both crossbows and firewands and a tongue that's smoother than the surface of a calm lake and sharper than a lade of ice. When she's tasked with delivering a message, she will let nothing stop her - some wonder if anything can.

As far as who I'd play, I dunno - I like them all.
>>
>>43535900
>A consummate and cunning warrior, but one that's emotionally broken who's in almost permanent survival mode - and is all the more dangerous for it.
This reminded me of Cliff Hudson for some reason.
>>
>>43535983
>Eclipse
Hello, Six.
>>
>>43534610

How does 9 compare to your decisive attack pool? At best, (5 dex, 5 ability, 1 specialty) it's 2 lower. Even at Ess1, the autosux from DBM will make it equal your attack pool. Apply Bestial Traits Technique, and it can surpass that easily. And that's before any of the mutations applied by Saga Beast Virtue come into play.

4m for 5.5 sux isn't great, but it's marginally more efficient than an excellency.

Being able to decisive for your full initiative pool every round, with an attack pool averaging 9 successes for 4 motes is not bad at all.
>>
>>43536366
Especially for a housecat.
Wait, never mind, those fuckers are brutal.
>>
File: Life_and_Times_of_Scrooge.jpg (1 MB, 2500x1253) Image search: [Google]
Life_and_Times_of_Scrooge.jpg
1 MB, 2500x1253
Are Lunars going to be just barbarian furfags in 3e again?

>pic related, how to Lunar
>>
>>43537133
Pretty much.

>implying a Lunar book will ever be released
>>
>>43537133
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICBbTKy6sxE
>>
Help me, Exalted General. You're my only hope.

So I did something fuckass retarded. I got persuaded to run EX3 later today (estimate 10 hours from this post, most of which will be spent working).

The players have gone hella diverse. The most experienced with the setting (which is to say, just barely) is playing a courtesan Eclipse caste who has become a madame (so therefore likely will own a brothel)

There's also the guy who wants to play a Night caste Pirate (Goddammit, pirates always make games difficult. Either it's HAY, WE'RE ONNABOAT or "I'm useless because I'm spec'd to be onnaboat"

And the last player wants to play a character that's closely tied to nature, and possibly a sorcerer. She's thinking about going Zenith and interceding with local nature spirits on behalf of the community.

So where the fuck do I put them where:

A: boats won't be superflous
B: Slavery isn't illegal
C: There's enough traffic coming through to make owning a high-class brothel a profitable endeavor
D: Where there's enough undeveloped area for the Zenith to do her thing without being a fish outawatta and innaboat.
E: Where the players won't immediately be reported to the nearest Satrap the second they set up shop

Finally, any advice for running 3rd for the first time? I'm pretty damned familiar with 1 and 2, but massive system changes and all. Honestly, I'm more confused about where the fuck to put them.

>inb4 Nexus
>>
>>43534437
You can just play with people of different timezones.
>>43533254
Official clarifications for some things are in the errata.
Yes, your ST does sound retarded, both with this and not using errata/not using 3e.
Tell him this: if there is nothing explicitly saying you can't use a charm, you can use it.
Charm type clarification: Simple charms are only used on your turn, supplementals only enhance your action (such as attacks and counterattacks, not defences), reflexives can be used at will when it makes sense (no using performance charms when you are dodging).
>>
>>43537133
Depends. If you want them to be barbarian furfags then they will be that. If you let them be something more then they will be. Simple. In Core devs emphasized how most barbarian tribes are mostly a tool for them and how each of their Exaltation brings great turmoil and rage with it because of the broken Bond and destroyed First Age and how older Lunars hate Realm's guts. The one thing I hope is that they will get cool Charms and maybe shapeshifting into elementals at higher Essence. The latter is highly unlikely, sadly.
>>
>>43537250
Sounds like literally every trade port in Creation.
>E: Where the players won't immediately be reported to the nearest Satrap the second they set up shop
This will only happen if they flare.
>>
>>43537260
>The latter is highly unlikely, sadly.
Indeed sir, it has been said that you cannot safely hit second base with something made of fire.
>>
>>43537250
As >>43537278 said, any big port. Maybe southwest, somewhere in An-Teng? Plenty of high class borthels and sea, it's inside Realm's sphere of influence so DBs can own slaves, nature isn't a problem. There is a high Realm presence but you can deal with that.
>>
>>43537250
Sail charms apply to any vehicle of horse & cart size or bigger too
>>
>>43537250
As the others have said, almost any port will do. You might want to look into the Dreaming Sea in the South-East, too.
>>
>>43537278
>>43537318

Slavery is one of the big issues though. Most notable ports in Creation are Realm satrapies, and their laws basically say that only Dynasts are allowed to own slaves, yadda yadda.

Considering my players are decidedly not DBs, that can be an issue.
>>
>>43537354
Fortunately you have an Eclipse running a brothel (and therefore the most successful brothel in the Direction) and a Solar pirate. Between the two you ill have more than enough money to bribe the local officials.
>>
>>43537354
>>43537381
That, or you can hire an outcaste to formally own the slaves.
>>
>>43537250
>B: Slavery isn't illegal
Why?
>>
>>43537348
>Dreaming Sea in the South-East, too.
Color me intrigued. This seems new, unless I just ignored the fuck out of it in previous editions?

>>43537385
>That, or you can hire an outcaste to formally own the slaves.
Damn. That's thinking with portals. I may offer that as an idea to the player, though I don't think an outcaste counts.

>>43537404
Because the player who's playing the madame (a former slave, at that) wants to have her employees also be slaves. Which is a special kind of evil, really.
>>
>>43537421
>Color me intrigued. This seems new, unless I just ignored the fuck out of it in previous editions?
It's new region introduced in 3E. Placed on southeast which previosuly was a big, plain "NOTHING HERE, MOVE ALONG" place. It's almost cut off from Realms's influence by Ma-Ha-Suchi and other things, save from one satrapy that's very independent. Lots of strange places, sort of fantasy India, Egypt and pulpy, sword-and-sorcery Conan feel.
>>
>>43537421
>Because the player who's playing the madame (a former slave, at that) wants to have her employees also be slaves. Which is a special kind of evil, really.
Hn, buy/gather orphans from the street and get profits for cleaning the city, also buy/sell the products as required/is profitable.
I could go behind this.
>>
>>43537421
>This seems new, unless I just ignored the fuck out of it in previous editions?
It's new.
>I don't think an outcaste counts.
They do count.
>Which is a special kind of evil, really.
Not really, it's normal, for Creation. They might be well cared for slaves. Slavery in Creation isn't evil, it's the norm.
A more established brothel might also provide neomah for the more wealthy patrons.
>>
>>43537482
>Slavery in Creation isn't evil, it's the norm.
Oh, I know that. I mean it takes a special kind of asshole to have been a slave, and then turn around and enslave others.

>>43537475
Cleaning isn't on the list of tasks she has in mind for her slaves.

>>43537459
I just started reading up on it. Seems like a great place for someone trying to keep their head down from the Realm to go.
>>
>>43537522
Not cleaning as in scrubbing, cleaning as in taking in orphans from the street, make them work for profit, and getting profit from the city for removing people straggling on the streets
>>
>>43537522
>I mean it takes a special kind of asshole to have been a slave, and then turn around and enslave others.
Eh, I can see it being not evil. You got used to the life, didn't think it that bad, felt responsibility for your fellows...
>>
>>43537522
>it takes a special kind of asshole to have been a slave, and then turn around and enslave others.

Not really. Slavery has been a fairly varied institution. In places like Rome, skilled slaves were treated fairly well.

I mean, if she went around kidnapping free people and enslaving them, then yeah, evil, but if she just went to the slave market, purchased them, and had decent working conditions, and the prospect of them earning their way out of slavery, most people in society would probably consider her an upstanding citizen.
>>
Other question: How strictly do Realm satrapies usually have to adhere to the laws of the Realm proper? I know Chiaroscuro is *technically* a Realm satrapy, but basically does whatever the fuck they feel like anyway. Same with Paragon, but I'm not sure about the legality of slavery in those locales.

>>43537584
>and the prospect of them earning their way out of slavery
This is something the player mentioned as part of the character's carrot/stick game. Not sure if she would actually release them or not. Part of the fun of running, really.

>>43537556
Maybe. I'm curious where the player is going to go with it. Could be nurturing, could be fuckawful monster, or anything in between.

>>43537550
Ah. Forgive my misunderstanding. I haven't slept.
>>
>>43537608
>How strictly do Realm satrapies usually have to adhere to the laws of the Realm proper?
They don't. At all. The only thing a satrapy does is provide tribute, maybe spread the immaculate faith and report any anathema.
>>
>>43537608

>How strictly do Realm satrapies usually have to adhere to the laws of the Realm proper?

Depends on how close they are to the Realm normally. Places like Coral which is very far is really in name only. They send Jade and that is about it. Oh their official pirates don't pirate Realm vessels. But the non-national privateers do if they can... the Sea Lords normally give no shits and buy the booty anyway and then sell it back to the Realm.
>>
>>43537629
Real also placed bans for things like building ships and other branches of advanced manufacturing and refining to stunt satrapies growth and independence. At least that's how Empress was doing this, Great Houses are way more lenient, especially when there is hefty bribe involved.
>>
/tg/ help me, I can't think of a way/idea how to shoehorn Lorkhan and his moon-corpses into Exalted
>>
>>43537842
Who and the what now?
>>
>>43533602
It depends on edition. In 2e, you'd want to replace your Dawn with a Full Moon (better war charms) and Night with a Scourge (better everything). Zenith, Twilight, and Eclipse round out an optimal circle.

With that said, the best 2e circle I've played with was Full Moon, Journeys, Endings, Zenith, Twilight. We had two Eclipses but neither could stick around. Also had a Changing Moon for a long time, but he finally couldn't keep up.

I'll describe my ideal 3e circle in another post.
>>
>>43537862
That one faggot from Elder Scrolls
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Lorkhan
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Masser
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Secunda
>>
>>43537906
Dawn. Neck native Thrown specialist with solid Melee to back it up. Armed with a Skycutter, excellent Athletics, and some Sail, this character is prepared to dominate in naval combat.

Twilight: originally from the Blessed Isle and benefiting from a Heptagram education bought through ruthless leverage due to her frail constitution, her ascension as a Solar left her significantly more powerful than her former peers and she easily escaped into the threshold.

Eclipse: a wise-cracking merchant captain, the Eclipse specializes not only in the give-and-take of diplomatic repartee, but in using their very Presence to inspire their comrades. Heavily Sail specialized due to time spent on ships. Fights with Archery and Brawl.

Night: a native of Wu-Jian and Athletic prodigy, the Night specializes in Thrown and Martial Arts, with Supernal Socialize to become whomever she needs to be to accomplish the party's goals.

Zenith: an itinerant monk who has spent several years now traveling with the Eclipse and tending to her business on the side. She's a martial arts master who is dedicated to killing every immaculate monk she encounters and desecrating the immaculate altars. When she's not cutting the legs out from under the Immaculate Order she ministers to the people, intercedes on their behalf with local gods, and trains someone to replace the immaculate as the intermediary to the gods.
>>
So the artefacts are finally the Zanpakuto they're supposed to be.
Getsuga Tenshou or Hyorinmaru?
>>
>>43538157
Hyorinmaru, is a bit more diverse... though fi we could actually know zangetsu's full powers then i'd likely go with that.
>>
>>43533602(me)>>43535900
>>43535983
>>43538073

hmm alright, thanks for the responses. was curious.
>>
>>43538181
>>43538157
Depends which Zangetsu; Quincy, Zanpakuto/Shinigami, or Hollow
>>
>>43538200
Odd that everyone wants a perfect circle (one of each caste). Personally, I'd have no use for a dawn.
>>
>>43538274
They're the least useful by a longshot, but unless you want to fuck about with Craft, there's no reason to two of any other Caste either.
>>
>>43538274
Aye, I'd rather have a Lunar or a Mini-Con or a Gojira
>>
File: 1446869685116.jpg (94 KB, 720x1441) Image search: [Google]
1446869685116.jpg
94 KB, 720x1441
>>43538345
I mean more roleplay-wise. I'd rather have an extra expert assassin or spymaster or an inspirational puppet-leader than a fighty/general guy, when I'm taking over or ruling a nation.
>>
File: 1403310286612.png (2 MB, 600x874) Image search: [Google]
1403310286612.png
2 MB, 600x874
>>43538381
Given that involving battlegroups immediately removes withering attacks and gambits from the combat system, you'd be absolutely fucking nuts not to have a general leading troops.

With that said, War is a short tree. You could easily have someone else do it, like the Zenith.
>>
>>43538381
>than a fighty/general guy, when I'm taking over or ruling a nation.

You'd better hope your neighbours feel the same way, or it'll be a short-lived rule. Whether or not you win the nation by conquest, you need to have at least the threat there to keep a hold of it.
>>
>>43538443
>>43538452
Of course I'd have a general, but I don't need a Dawn for that. Plenty of mortals or DBs around.
It's not like my neighbors have Dawn generals anyway.
>>
>>43538472
And if they do... well, that's why I have 2 Nights for.
>>
>>43538472
>>43538486
>this level of overconfidence
Sounds like somebody's not prepared.
>>
File: exaltargumentinvalid.png (568 KB, 560x725) Image search: [Google]
exaltargumentinvalid.png
568 KB, 560x725
>>43538472
You obviously don't realize 3e is Solar-wank edition.

Expect other Exalts, particularly Terrestrials, to be pretty shit at War by comparison to Solars.

Yes, yes, they stated they wanted to compact the differences in power. But this is still a game developed by the two imbeciles that started 2e's power creep.
>>
>>43538443
>Given that involving battlegroups immediately removes withering attacks and gambits from the combat system

It doesn't remove withering attacks and gambits from the system - your battlegroup can't perform them, but they can still be targeted by them. That limitation is a *restriction* on battlegroups, not a buff.
>>
>>43538510
That woman's going to get rekt, going up against a battlegroup all by herself.
>>
>>43538486

Hope they don't have a night who spots you with awareness and then you have to fight a buffmchuge dawn and another night.
>>
>>43538518
So you disarm a battle group and what, they all miraculously drop their swords all at once?
>>
>>43538507
>>43538510
If 2 Night can't deal with the opposing general, a Dawn won't either.
>>
>>43538510

OMG, they kept the fundamental premise of the line. Outrage! How dare they not favour your pet splat.
>>
>>43538542
>still being so overconfident
Lack of planning'll get you killed.
>>
>>43538523

>using a scythe

Maybe its White Reaper Style. At which point that battlegroup may get rekt.
>>
>>43538523
a single Battlegroup against a combat-focused Exalt? Unless that BG has a good leader it's basically screwed, and I don't see anyone looking like a leader
>>
>>43538568

There are at least 3 nobles staring at her. Any one of them could be the good leader.
>>
>>43538568
>I don't see anyone looking like a leader
I think that group of monsters goes quite a way back.
>>
>>43537842
He's part of an Unshaped Raksha from the Wyld. There's really no other way to integrate the Elder Scrolls' cosmology of "reality is all just a dream by the Godhead" with the cosmology of Creation, which is most emphatically not a dream.
>>
File: mousebasedgamedesign.png (45 KB, 489x301) Image search: [Google]
mousebasedgamedesign.png
45 KB, 489x301
>>43538518
Why would you use withering attacks against a battlegroup? They don't use initiative.

You can't use gambits against battlegroups because it's physically impossible to grapple or disarm all of them at once.

This isn't explicitly outlined in the rules, but, anon...neither are a lot of other key things.

>>43538523
Probably, unless she knows White Raper style.

>>43538542
2 Nights can't deal with the opposing general because he's in a battlegroup.

>>43538545
I specifically recall Morke bitching that it was bullshit that a Lunar optimized for literally nothing else could beat a Dawn in a fight 50% of the time. He also whined about Lunars being more effective generals than Solars, but that was more about Solars getting shitty War Charms that barely functioned with the mass combat system to begin with.

Remember, these two fucktards wrote Glories, which fucked up game balance so badly we needed a complete rules rewrite to fix it.

Pic related is the level of competency.
>>
>>43538580
they all look the same, so they're just mooks

>Why would you use withering attacks against a battlegroup? They don't use initiative.
Because decisive will reset you and then you will very quickly take damage to your health levels from the BG. Using decisive attacks against a BG is suicide.
>>
>>43538556
>lack of planning
>a twilight, an eclipse and 2 nights
>>43538613
>2 Nights can't deal with the opposing general because he's in a battlegroup.
They already did, anon. Last night, he died in his bed.
>>
>>43538510
>the two imbeciles that started 2e's power creep.
Anon, the power creep was solidly in place before Holden and Morke wrote anything Exalted-related in an official or even in a semi-official Ink Moneky capacity. Solar wank was there before them. Not liking those guys is one thing, bu there are real reasons for such sentiments. There is no reason to make stuff up.
>>
>>43538613
>White Raper
>highimpactexaltedviolence.jpg
>>
>>43538623

>they all look the same, so they're just mooks

Uh. There are very clearly 3 Fair Folk nobles standing there. They are the ones with the really stylized tall antlers and kickass armor.
>>
>>43538631
I was meaning you specifically.
>>
File: undergroundcagefighter.png (22 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
undergroundcagefighter.png
22 KB, 600x500
>>43538631
>They already did, anon. Last night, he died in his bed.
So you want to play Xanatos Chess?
>>
>>43538631

>They already did, anon. Last night, he died in his bed.

What Dawn in God's name did not max out awareness? My God if that actually happened your storyteller is a dumbass.
>>
>>43538623
>they all look the same,
Anon, that's racist.
>>
>>43538381
>I'd rather have an extra expert assassin
>Implying that Dawns aren't the best assassins

Supernal combat abilties, motherfucker. Have you seen how much face-wrecking a starting Dawn with Supernal Archery or Supernal Martial Arts and Single Point Shining Into The Void Style can do with an Alpha Strike? Hint: the relevant phrase is "Instant Kill".
>>
>>43538510
>>43538580
>>43538588
oh please, that's at most a Size 3 Battlegroup. Fae armies have average drill, so +1 defence.

If they're hobgoblins or Buck-ogres (which seem to be the main mooks of fae) or have similar stats they attack with ~12 dice and have a Defence of 6.

A non-trivial fight especially with a commander, but far from impossible.
>>
File: mhumthief.png (991 KB, 750x1066) Image search: [Google]
mhumthief.png
991 KB, 750x1066
>>43538636
Not really. As Morke himself noted, a hyper-specialized Lunar could probably do better than a Solar at things related to being a fighting badass. Probably. Sidereals were unplayable so nobody really knows where they sat on the spectrum.

Terrestrials were weak enough that the only reliable way to best a Solar or Lunar was with a sworn brotherhood, which was the intended dynamic.

Abyssals were literally mirrors of Solars.

And that was Exalted. There were no Alchemicals, Infernals, or anything else present to shit up the power spectrum.

So no, sorry anon, the blame falls right at their feet for it in 2e as well.
>>
File: 1445715567017.jpg (132 KB, 597x874) Image search: [Google]
1445715567017.jpg
132 KB, 597x874
>>43538657
What do you mean by lack of planning then? My plan is to assassinate any generals that are actually good with my 2 infiltrating Nights.
>>43538658
I mean more in terms of caste capabilities. Nights go around assassinating people, that's their job. If we look at an equivalent circle +1 Dawn -1 Night, I'l have a much better chance to get rid of their Dawn.
>>43538661
He's a general, he Supernaled War. And he's asleep.
>>43538675
If they get detected, no dice. Best case scenario is the target gets away.
>>
File: get out.gif (471 KB, 474x379) Image search: [Google]
get out.gif
471 KB, 474x379
>>43538723
>He's a general, he Supernaled War. And he's asleep.
hahahahahahaha

oh my god you're serious

you think someone would Supernal War

get out, you're not smart enough for this conversation
>>
>>43538593
Not the whole thing, that's make things too wobbly, but Lorkhan, maybe Nocturnal, Akatosh, and some version of the Constellations.
>>
>>43538723

>He's a general, he Supernaled War. And he's asleep.

why.jpg
>>
File: mhumfighter.png (466 KB, 676x820) Image search: [Google]
mhumfighter.png
466 KB, 676x820
>>43538723
>I mean more in terms of caste capabilities. Nights go around assassinating people, that's their job. If we look at an equivalent circle +1 Dawn -1 Night, I'l have a much better chance to get rid of their Dawn.
You're missing the point here, I think.

A Dawn with a Supernal combat ability (i.e. any Dawn) is going to wreck a Night in a fight.

It's less certain if the general is a different kind of Exalt, and even less certain if he's a mortal.

But relying on a Night to carry you through a war is fucking bush league and will get you wrecked. All it takes is a single teacup ninja taking an interest in the outcome and you're so much swiss cheese.
>>
File: Warstriders.png (859 KB, 595x486) Image search: [Google]
Warstriders.png
859 KB, 595x486
>>43538750
>>43538732
If you want to some great general, you Supernal War.
If you don't, I can get any old, experienced DB general to beat his ass on the strategy level.
>>
>>43538765
Why supernal a tree which caps at E3?
>>
>>43538763
>A Dawn with a Supernal combat ability (i.e. any Dawn) is going to wreck a Night in a fight.
Assassinations aren't fights.
>>
>>43538765
No, you fucking don't.

Anon, you really should read the Charm trees before you get deeper into this conversation.

War caps at E3. You should never Supernal it.

You Supernal a combat ability and use that to wreck faces after using the 17 E1 War Charms available to you to buff your battlegroup.
>>
>>43538765

Uh. There are a shit ton of great essence 1 war charms. And if they are building an army and a nation they are probably at least Essence 2 at which most of the War tree is unlocked.
>>
File: youdontunderstand.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
youdontunderstand.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
>>43538773
Seriously, you're not equipped for this discussion.
>>
>>43538778
>War caps at E3. You should never Supernal it.
no. The published war charms cap out at E3. That's basically a licence to homebrew your own E5 war charms.
>>
So, prospective houserule/homebrew.

>Reduce the MA merit down to a 2-dot, but require it for every new style. Maybe 2-dot for the first, 1-dot thereafter.
>Rework martial arts so that they use whatever regular Ability suits them.
>DPC = Performance, Black Claw = Socialize, Steel Devil = Melee, etc.

Have potential or should I go fuck my self?
>>
>>43538799

Alright. But that is only useful against other Dawns as with the tree as is you can do EVERYTHING. I mean I really have to think what high essence charms would look like in War that are not basically "I win". Although against any other army it already is "I win".
>>
>>43538784
You really don't understand how Stealth can end a fight if you aren't ability to spot it.
>>
File: 1446924900101.jpg (421 KB, 1250x894) Image search: [Google]
1446924900101.jpg
421 KB, 1250x894
>>43538784
>what is stab through the brain while he's sleeping
>what is poison literally everywhere, his food, his armor, his toilet seat, everywhere
>what is being pushed lightly off his big ass ivory tower to fall to his death
>what is doing all of the above in order
Ninja shenanigans, anon. There are more ways to remove a person than just 1v1 fights.
>>
>>43538825

Resistance: The Post.
>>
>>43538813
>I mean I really have to think what high essence charms would look like in War that are not basically "I win"
probably a once per season massive, massive boost to a battle to win even when you're massively outnumbered.
>>
>>43538828
If you supernal Resistance you can't supernal a combat ability.
>>
>>43538839

You don't need to. You can't be killed and just wear down your enemy.
>>
File: 1405410758927.jpg (384 KB, 800x1178) Image search: [Google]
1405410758927.jpg
384 KB, 800x1178
>>43538815
Sigh. Yes, I do. But if we're going to derive victory from implausible scenarios, let's say even asleep the general is part of the battlegroup. Therefore he's not a valid target for assassination. This is RAW, after all.

>>43538825
>>43538828
>>43538839
>>43538845
I believe that's checkmate.
>>
File: 1445932181408.jpg (215 KB, 531x900) Image search: [Google]
1445932181408.jpg
215 KB, 531x900
>>43538828
Nigga you don't get to Resistance a daiklave to through your nostril.
>>
>>43538810
Make MA merit 5 dots, rename sorcerous motes as Chi, and give them the three shaping rituals dfrom the homebrew MA sorcery as Katas or something. This does not grant access to sorcery, just steals a lot from it.

They can store (MA+Ess)x5 Chi at any time, these are used to pay for MA charms only. This allows mortals to learn and use E1 MA charms.

MA styles are now specialties of MA / their respective ability.
>>
>>43538862
>let's say even asleep the general is part of the battlegroup
an exalt can't be part of a Battlegroup.
>>
>>43538902
He can is a battle group of Exalts
>>
>>43538862
>let's say even asleep the general is part of the battlegroup. Therefore he's not a valid target for assassination. This is RAW, after all.
What drugs are you on? Who cares about RAW, any reasonable GM will give you opportunity between noticing the opposing army moving out to the the actual battle. That's multiple days of chances to geek him.
>>
>>43538862
>Therefore he's not a valid target for assassination.
You could argue that the elected target rules comes into play here, making him temporarily not a part of the Battlegroup.
>>
File: 1403734322185.jpg (56 KB, 253x403) Image search: [Google]
1403734322185.jpg
56 KB, 253x403
>>43538902
>not having a battlegroup of 2 with your Lunar mate
You wanted to play Xanatos chess, but you were not prepared.
>>
>>43538902
>an exalt can't be part of a Battlegroup.

But his battle group can engage him, meaning you have to go through them to reach him
>>
>>43538874

[Ox-body technique intensifies]
>>
File: 1424076208968.jpg (117 KB, 726x1000) Image search: [Google]
1424076208968.jpg
117 KB, 726x1000
>>43538926
>What drugs are you on? Who cares about RAW, any reasonable GM will give you opportunity between noticing the opposing army moving out to the the actual battle. That's multiple days of chances to geek him.
I think you're overstating here. More to the point, you're insisting on scenarios that are impossible to justify your position.

Accept that 2 Nights is inferior to 1 Night and 1 Dawn and get on with your life.

>>43538927
>You could argue that the elected target rules comes into play here, making him temporarily not a part of the Battlegroup.
Possibly, but as I've pointed out, running down spurious argument avenues is dumb when the question posed is rather simple. Is 2 Nights better than a Dawn?

No.

People have actually put some thought into this and read through the systems. They already know the answer.

It is still no.
>>
>>43538959
you can't engage your own allies, just as you can't attack your allies for init.
>>
>>43538885
Link to the MA Sorcery thing? Sounds interesting.

As for the Chi idea, I don't know if I like the idea of adding another resource to keep track of, but you raise a point about Mortal MA use.
>>
File: 1406740505249.jpg (354 KB, 650x999) Image search: [Google]
1406740505249.jpg
354 KB, 650x999
>>43538980
>you can't engage your own allies, just as you can't attack your allies for init.
You can actually engage your allies, but you can't farm them for Initiative.

Feels RAW, huh?
>>
>>43538974
>you're insisting on scenarios that are impossible to justify your position.
How is "there are plenty of opportunities to assassinate a general before the battle" implausible?
>>
>>43539023

Because the general is a Dawn caste.
>>
>>43538991
It's in the homebrew folder in the OP I believe. And except the names it's lifted wholesale.
>>
>>43539023
>How is "there are plenty of opportunities to assassinate a general before the battle" implausible?
Name one instance of this occurring in pre-modern warfare that isn't apocryphal or mythological.

I'll wait.
>>
>>43539059
I'm no history buff. Nights are supernaturally stealthy, so IRL examples are not very relevant anyway.
>>
>>43539084
>I'm no history buff. Nights are supernaturally stealthy, so IRL examples are not very relevant anyway.

>this argument has not gone my way, so I'm going to use a new rhetorical gambit

Sadly, I'm in a battlegroup. Your gambit fails.
>>
>>43538723
>If they get detected, no dice. Best case scenario is the target gets away.
Dawns can Favor Stealth, anon.

>>43538825
>Implying that any Dawn worth his salt doesn't have Awareness 5 and Surprise Anticipation Technique

Getting a high Initiative from your Join Battle roll is just that important; even a Supernal War general-type is going to have Awareness 5.

>>43538926
>Who cares about RAW, any reasonable GM will give you opportunity between noticing the opposing army moving out to the the actual battle.

A hundred men on the march can be surprisingly stealthy, anon.
>>
>>43539125
>not infiltrating the enemy encampment at night like some hard serpent
>>
>>43539125
You can't be in a battle group as an exalt. Literally in the first paragraph.
>>
>>43539175
I'm just a mortal.
>>
>>43539186
>>43539125
>who are reasonably similar to one another in terms of capabilities and equipment, who aren’t especially noteworthy to the story as individuals, and who aren’t potent supernatural beings such as Exalts
>>
Video Related: it's a Dawn Caste with Supernal War, and Stealth and Awareness as Favored Abilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41BP-0FnzeQ

Do you really think your Night Caste could assassinate Snake, anon?
>>
File: mhumbarbarian.jpg (497 KB, 924x1236) Image search: [Google]
mhumbarbarian.jpg
497 KB, 924x1236
>>43539211
Do you even know what you're arguing about that this point?

You got rekt, son

Go take a nap, Exaltedbabby
>>
>>43539211
>>43539175
To be fair, I'd allow DBs to form Battle groups, because lots of DBs. But those are rare, only Lookshy and Realm proper (not satrapies) would field such.
>>
>>43539023
I think the other side of this argument is overstating the implausibility of such a scenario, but it's still something you can't reliably pull off. If you send someone to kill a Dawn, even if it isn't supposed to happen in a straight fight, there will always, always be a considerable change of failure. If assassination was the only trick you have up your sleeve you will be screwed when the plan fails, if you also have a Dawn Caste general leading your army you can just move on to plan B.
>>
>>43539237
Or I can try again. But yes, backup plans are generally good.
>>43539217
Venom doesn't actually lead or strategize. He's a brain damaged solo operator.
Big Boss might be this, however.
>>
>>43539261
>Or I can try again.
If your Night(s) survived their failure you can try again, sure, only with smaller changes of success than before because now the enemy is even more on his guard and more knows more about the capabilities of your assassins.
>>
I don't have access to the book right now but what is a good average initiative score for a stealth supernal Night right before he does his ambush attack?
>>
>>43539392
Lots. Depends on how much motes they blow on it, I assume everything available.
>>
>>43539407

Well assume they are not trying to anima flare.
>>
>>43539418
Still lots, but with a +2m total cost.
>>
>>43539491

See lots does not help. I was just wondering if it is possible to get 27 successes on the damage roll.
>>
>>43539514
It is. Technically the max is at least above 40.
>>
>>43539535

So you can roll about 60-70 dice on the damage roll?
>>
>>43539514
>>43539535
It's unlikely, of course, but possible. 20 dice + any non charm dice, that's around 10 sux AVERAGE, +3 sux for base init, +however many for double 9s, 8s or 7s or whatever...
>>43539552
If you are very very lucky on the Join Battle, yes. But keep in mind unexpected attacks ignore Defense. and some charms let you keep extra sux on decisives...
>>
>>43539418
Wits 5, Awareness 5, and a Relevant Specialty. Sensory Acuity Prana + Awakening Eye + Foe Scenting Method + Naked Fang Draw.

11 base dice, plus two from a Stunt, plus three successes, plus a full excellency of another 4 dice, for 17 dice total. Double 9s mean that the expected value of successes is .6 per die, so you expect 10.2 successes. 1.7 dice get rerolled, so that's another 1.02 successes, for a total of 11 successes.

Alternately, you can ditch the bonus-success charms, and roll 23 dice, and get 2.3 rerolls; this gets you about 15 successes.

Add on three, so the average initiative for a Night would be 18 Initiative, which is enough to do 7.2 Health Levels of damage on an average roll.
>>
>>43538778
>War caps at E3. You should never Supernal it.
You should if you want to be a legendary general right at the beginning. That's what the Supernal is about: the source of your legend. If you take Supernal Melee then you are legendary swordsman/spearman/whatever, not general.

Besides, the most potent effects sit at E3 most of the time. E4 and E5 are often situational, improvements to Charms that were already very good or restricted in how often you can use them. So no, you absolutely aren't required to take something that caps at E5.
>>
File: autismotor.gif (68 KB, 500x293) Image search: [Google]
autismotor.gif
68 KB, 500x293
>>43539676
A new retard appears!
>>
>>43538825
>>what is doing all of the above in order
...you stab him through the back of the head, while he's getting some fresh air at the top of his ivory tower in order to recuperate from being poisoned by literally everything?
>>
>>43538778
I'm going to Supernal War because my other choice is martial arts, and the style I want caps at 3 too.
>>
File: cE3e7si.jpg (113 KB, 560x776) Image search: [Google]
cE3e7si.jpg
113 KB, 560x776
>>43539704
Sure, why not. Idea is, have Batman levels of preparation and stack the odds against the target.
>>43539703
Some people are trying to roleplay, not rollplay.
>>
>>43539703
Tiger Warrior Training Technique is an Essence 2 charm. If you want it at chargen, rather than ten sessions after chargen, you have to take War as your Supernal Ability.
>>
>>43539637
That's average, but what is max?
And then there's evocations...
>>
>>43539727
>I'm going to Supernal War because my other choice is martial arts, and the style I want caps at 3 too.
Why not Supernal another combat ability and invest in it later?

>>43539728
>Some people are trying to roleplay, not rollplay.
OH NOES A ROLEPLAYER, GUESS MY ARGUMENT IS (not) INVALID!

>>43539738
>Tiger Warrior Training Technique is an Essence 2 charm. If you want it at chargen, rather than ten sessions after chargen, you have to take War as your Supernal Ability.
True, but why would you? At chargen you're not going to be conquering much.
>>
>>43539738

>Tiger Warrior Training Technique is an Essence 2 charm. If you want it at chargen, rather than ten sessions after chargen, you have to take War as your Supernal Ability.

Unless you are doing a war leader straight out of the gates I would always wait for Tiger Warrior Training. Most of the time I am trying to get my character established and doing other things before raising armies or training my men even more.
>>
>>43539753
>Why not Supernal another combat ability and invest in it later?

Because I want to focus on War and Martial Arts, with some minor Archery.
>>
>>43539771

Supernal Martial Arts. It is so much more useful unless you somehow have a large army at the first session.
>>
File: exaltedrefund.jpg (196 KB, 1467x369) Image search: [Google]
exaltedrefund.jpg
196 KB, 1467x369
fyi the war continues

partial refunds available
>>
>>43539784

Oh thank fuck.
>>
>>43539753
>True, but why would you? At chargen you're not going to be conquering much.
You are if you Supernal War. Or take Command 5 merit. Or both.
>>
>>43539781
I was starting with Command 3, so I'm just going to take War because it fits the character concept
>>
File: 1402161059539.jpg (139 KB, 858x1295) Image search: [Google]
1402161059539.jpg
139 KB, 858x1295
>>43539794
>>43539796
I mean. You can.

You'll regret it.

But you can.
>>
>>43539728
>Some people are trying to roleplay, not rollplay.
It's not even about that, not solely at least. Even for Abilities with Essence 5 Charms you'd do just fine just taking Essence 1-3 Charms. If I made a Supernal Melee Dawn, the three Essence 4-5 Melee Charms - and there are only three, it's not like most Abilities have a fuckload of E4+ Charms - would be ones I could take or leave, not ones I'd absolutely have to take right away. Fixation on the number of Essence 5 Charms some people have kind of baffles me. What makes an Ability a worthy Supernal is it having a good, powerful Charmset with good, powerful effects you can't take at Essence 1, and by this criteria War absolutely is a worthy Supernal.
>>
>>43539753
>True, but why would you? At chargen you're not going to be conquering much.

If a Solar wants to go conquering, odds are pretty good he's going to be able to go conquering, even right out of chargen, especially if he's got the rest of his Circle backing him up and filling any holes in his competencies (i.e. the Eclipse and/or Zenith helping to smooth things over socially, the Twilight improving infrastructure, et cetera).
>>
>>43539809
I mean, it doesn't really matter. Supernal Martial Arts is for people who want to be martial artists.

Supernal War is for people who want to be generals.
>>
>>43539813
Even if most of the charms you're going to take are low-Essence, it can matter for some Abilities like Lore (summoning natural disasters on your enemies), Occult (creating customized spirits), or Craft (Dying Doombot Declaration, infinite XP loops, et cetera), though.
>>
>>43539813
This guy gets it. Some people just think that if you can't strangle Ahlat like a baby right out of chargen then you are useless and a retard and apparently stranglig Ahlat requires all the E5 Charms you can get.
>>
File: 1445727020145.png (829 KB, 1024x530) Image search: [Google]
1445727020145.png
829 KB, 1024x530
>>43539809
I'll definitely regret conquering Wu-Jian in my first few sessions, yes.
>>
>>43539867
uh

you can't fight battles on wu-jian

so

that's actually impossible, anon
>>
>>43539874
What's stopping me?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG7VvMGw6w0
Nu-Gi, God of Nature and Zen-Chi God of Progress when?
>>
>>43539895
reading the book, apparently
>>
>>43539867

Did you make a Supernal Martial Artist and kick the butts of every Martial Arts school and conquer Wu-Jian that way? Because that sounds awesome. Thirteen Schools united in one.
>>
File: 4.jpg (787 KB, 700x1030) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
787 KB, 700x1030
What Caste is Väinämöinen?
Or Scrooge for that matter?
>>
File: Wu-Jian.jpg (106 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
Wu-Jian.jpg
106 KB, 1000x800
Ah I remember tooling around Wu-Jain back when it was called Kaineng city. Fuck that place.
>>
>>43539906
It only says it's an island city, anon. Transport ships are not hard to come by, and urban warfare is a thing. Nothing's stopping me from cleansing it from all the gangs and lawless and claiming it for my own.
>>43539948
I didn't, I'm talking hypotheticals here. I'd do it with an army.
>>
>>43539959
Nigga Scrooge is the God of Unspent Wealth.
>>
>>43539963
It's Hong Kong, the slums are Kowloon.
>>
>>43539959
>Scrooge
Heroic Mortal.
>>
>>43539966

>I didn't, I'm talking hypotheticals here. I'd do it with an army

But the Martial Arts idea is way better. I mean you can do a normal old stupid conquering of any city. But this is a Martial Arts city Hong Kong style.
>>
>>43539985
True, but the Martial Artists don't actually rule it. Only a part, the rest is regular gangs and Realm people.
>>
File: original (3).jpg (530 KB, 1920x1169) Image search: [Google]
original (3).jpg
530 KB, 1920x1169
If that's not the perfect scenery for the cold Northern forest the I don't know what is.

School created by a long dead Sorcerer that takes children and changes them into sorcerously mutated monster-hunters. Good idea or best idea?
>>
>>43540017

>True, but the Martial Artists don't actually rule it. Only a part, the rest is regular gangs and Realm people.

That is only because the Martial Arts schools fight each other too. If they were united the gangs are fucked. The Realm can't handle a bunch of mortal martial artists versus normal soldiers. You and your party can fight the few Dragonblooded in a final apocalyptic fight in the streets.
>>
>>43540008
Sounds fun.
I'd trample all over it as a Lunar at least.
>>
>>43540026
It just looks like they have goat heads over their real heads.

Unrelated inquiry, does anyone know how long an Exalted can stay up in this edition before passing out from exhaustion? I remember only one charm in 2.5e that did it, but I think I missed it in 3e
>>
>>43540101
Integrity has one that lets you meditate instead of sleeping, and another to make the meditation instant.
I'd just require a Stam+Resis roll every hour past a certain point, -1 cumulative every time, failure makes you pass out.
>>
>>43539959
Väinämöinen seems like a Twilight to me. Or maybe a Zenith.
>>
>>43540161
Big V is probably a Twilight. He's a genius craftsman and the prototypical Wizard.

But he's got some serious Performance, too.
>>
>>43540183
>>43540161
What about that one guy, Ilmari or whatever, who made his metal waifu
>>
>>43532937
Martial Arts have a shared excellency, so that makes sense.
>>
>>43540380
Ilmarinen was a smith, so also probably a Twilight.
>>
>>43538810
>>DPC = Performance, Black Claw = Socialize, Steel Devil = Melee, etc.
>Have potential or should I go fuck my self?

NOPE. Single Point + Melee is fucking retarded.
>>
File: UponthisDreamingSea.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
UponthisDreamingSea.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Got tired of looking at forums for this.

Will probably write a more comprehensive fan supplement about ships as my game progresses. Particularly building ships as projects.
>>
>>43540798
As projects? How are you planning to involve Craft in that?
>>
>>43540798
Drop it in the homebrew folder.
>>
>>43540878

Not that guy, but is the homebrew folder a place where we can all work on the homebrew as a group in order to try and pool our collective knowledge, or is it just a place to share what we've done?
>>
>>43540914
Depends on how you share it. You can make "can view", "can comment" and "can edit" documents there.
>>
>>43540878
That's not my work. It's Chris Allen's.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/735392-upon-this-dreaming-sea-new-ship-stat-blocks-rules-for-naval-combat

Like I said, I'm running a West game, so I'll be compiling stuff as my players do ship-related things (of which we're planning about 30% of the action).
>>
>>43540878
>>43541029
Also, after glancing at the folder, I'd never associate my work with it.

Those homebrew Charms are horrifyingly bad, absent even a notion of game balance. I realize Holden and Morke encouraged this, but I'm not of a like mind.
>>
>>43541087
well, they're there so people can give feedback. What's so horrifyingly bad about them?
>>
>>43541087
Nobody ever said they were good. Anyone can dump anything in there, don't like it, don't use it.
It's just a way to share your terrible things so we don't have to hunt for links or ask every time.
>>43541029
Drop it there anyway. Who cares who made it, this is 4chan.
>>
>>43541087
>I am so much better at homebrew than everyone else in here. No, I'm not going to actually show my brew or say what's so bad about the charms I'm calling horrifyingly bad
>>
File: howtorpesentmechanics.jpg (370 KB, 985x619) Image search: [Google]
howtorpesentmechanics.jpg
370 KB, 985x619
>>43541136
>well, they're there so people can give feedback.
No, they're simply hanging there as readable documents.

>What's so horrifyingly bad about them?
Take a glance at Mastery of the Thousandfold Arsenal and answer your own question, if you would be so kind.

>>43541157
>It's just a way to share your terrible things so we don't have to hunt for links or ask every time.
True enough. But we are often judged by our company.

>>43541173
This is a particularly stupid attitude to take on an anonymous imageboard, anon. In point of fact, I have shared my homebrew solutions to Craft and Chargen, the two most pressing problems this engine has.

But at the moment I'm focused on quality of life improvements, like turning the mechanics into technical language that can be referenced quickly. Pic related.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.