[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RPG Propaganda
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: Private_SNAFU.jpg (38 KB, 677x481) Image search: [Google]
Private_SNAFU.jpg
38 KB, 677x481
Sort of an odd question. I'm currently taking a class on propaganda, and we've had an interesting lesson about the use of cartoons (which were seen a highly effective method since the 1940's due to people's tendency to "lower their mental defenses" when dealing with what they perceive to be harmless, juvenile entertainment).

So... if cartoons, why not tabletop roleplaying games? Could they be used as vessels of propaganda? Why haven't they until now (or have they, and I just don't know about it?)? If not, than why is that? What makes them so fundamentally different?

Food for though.
>>
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Racial_Holy_War
>>
>>43522708
>I'm currently taking a class on propaganda

are you living in best korea?
>>
>>43523792
I don't think Best Koreans are allowed to go on 4chan.

On that note, how would a Korean RPG look like? It's interesting that Japan has a fairly robust tabletop RPG industry, but Korea has none. What's up with that?
>>
File: Ball Pits.jpg (134 KB, 700x550) Image search: [Google]
Ball Pits.jpg
134 KB, 700x550
>>43523995
No time for play, only school.
>>
>>43524019
That's true for Japan, too.
>>
File: hotdognorks.jpg (67 KB, 631x454) Image search: [Google]
hotdognorks.jpg
67 KB, 631x454
>>43524069
After school though the worst Koreans get thrown into the military for a while, which tends to fuck with their neet lifestyles a bit as they have to go outside and stuff.
>>
>So... if cartoons, why not tabletop roleplaying games? Could they be used as vessels of propaganda? Why haven't they until now (or have they, and I just don't know about it?)? If not, than why is that? What makes them so fundamentally different?
Delivery of the message is a matter of weeks, while campaigns can be overrun by the other players with their own agenda and reach only a small segment of the population.
>>
No one mentioning Pathfinder's LGBTQ efforts? I guess the /pol/aks finally went home.
>>
>>43524133
But that's true for Israel, too (and they spend longer in the army than Worse Koreans), and Israel has a fairly active tabletop RPG community. No well-known original games (though they do make original Hebrew language supplements and translate games from English to Hebrew), but many which are regularly played.
>>
File: Grinning IDF Girl.jpg (26 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
Grinning IDF Girl.jpg
26 KB, 236x354
>>43524444
How would an Israeli RPG look like?
>>
>>43524581
GURPS
>>
>>43524287
>Pathfinder's LGBTQ efforts
You mean throwing in few cardboard cutouts with "GAY" spray painted on them to be perceived as progressive?
>>
>>43524661
What's so Israeli about GURPS?
>>
>>43524739

Not him, but I'm like 90% sure there's a GURPS: Israel supplement.
>>
>>43524833
I seriously, seriously doubt that.
>>
>>43524833
>>43524988
GURPS Villains
>>
File: 69854_447204013398_5961928_a.jpg (12 KB, 180x238) Image search: [Google]
69854_447204013398_5961928_a.jpg
12 KB, 180x238
>>43525097
Oh boy. This thread's going to go some good places.
>>
>>43523995
Maybe that's because Koreans are more into computer games than tabletop. If you believe the memes, everyone and their grandma there play some online MMO, RPG or RTS.

>>43522708
>what makes them so fundamentally different?
It's easier to present people with a cartoon than it is with a tabletop. Such cartoons usually accompanied movies in cinema (much like Disney's doing from time to time now). People went to the cinema much more often than we do now, I think, and before the movie proper started, the cartoon was being played. Thus, even people not deliberately seeking out propaganda material were being fed it.

On the other hand, a tabletop game is something that you have to explicitly come to a shop for, find and buy. This limits the amount of people who will recieve this propaganda, as the only ones willing to go through the effort and, optionally, spend their money, would be the ones interested in the topic - or, as it is with RaHoWa, those who want to laugh at it. Thus, the only people who will read what you worked on will be the ones who (A) already believe your cause or (B) those who will never treat it seriously. If you're a propaganda expert, both of those groups are pretty useless for you.
>>
>>43523995
Starcraft: The RPG?
>>
File: pizzanorks.jpg (81 KB, 660x1020) Image search: [Google]
pizzanorks.jpg
81 KB, 660x1020
>>43524444
Known a few folks from both countries, most of the Israelis tended to find excuses to dodge draft, lot of them ended up at uni doing worthless arts degrees to avoid being sent off to conscript hell. Koreans not so much, most of them did their service because they'll get basically arrested and thrown in jail if they didn't have a decent reason not to do it. Also known a couple of Koreans that ended up here to avoid conscription, they'd be arrested if they ever enter the country again.
>>
>>43524019
>dashcon 2014
>>
>>43525304
kek
No one voluntarily turned up to be tortured either
>>
>>43525289
>they'll get basically arrested and thrown in jail if they didn't have a decent reason not to do it.
That's how it works in Israel, too, technically speaking. Just that in the last few years it's become progressively and disproportionately easier to avoid the draft (compared to how things were not a decade ago). It's also worth minding that, assuming you've never actually been to Israel, any Israelis you've met abroad are likely to be precisely the type of left-leaning, anti-military "draft dodgers" whom you're talking about them being. In terms of the percentage of the population serving in the army, I think Israel still rates among the highest in the world (if only because they're one of the only countries where military service is obligatory for both men and women).

It also resulted in the IDF developing one of the more unique military cultures in the world, being made largely out of 18 years old conscripts who grew up in a country that is technologically first-world and gets most of its pop-culture/media from the US, but at the same time is strongly influenced culturally by the primitive countries around it and has existed in a state of constant war literally since its foundation (There's literally no kid above 10 years in Israel who has never experienced war, since Israel has never gone 10 years without a serious war starting. Think about that shit for a moment).
>>
>>43525401
There are countries in the world which have seen nothing but war for the past 10 or 20 years. I don't think that being "first world" technologically or consuming a lot of American pop-culture makes a difference in that regard.
>>
File: burgertime.jpg (193 KB, 700x1025) Image search: [Google]
burgertime.jpg
193 KB, 700x1025
>>43525401
Never been to Israel or had anything to do with the IDF, though have been to their 'neighbours' so to speak back in the day when I was in the army.
But yeah, the dodgers where all lefty's and probably worse than useless if given any kind of weapon. Not entirely terrible people mind you, but they really just didn't have any inclination to go get drafted, which if I was forced to serve next to I wouldn't really want them there either.
>>
>>43524019
>>43524133
>>43525289
>>43525509

I'm very glad somebody edited these pictures. The originals were disgusting. And not from the subject matter, but from the Anti-American lies they like to push.
>>
>>43524133
>hot dogs
>not eggs.
God damnit you had one fucking job.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.