[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weird Worldbuilding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: DSCN4005.jpg (524 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4005.jpg
524 KB, 1600x1200
/tg/, I need your help.
I'm trying to get ideas for some worldbuilding, and I'm drawing blanks, so far.
Specifically, I'm trying to avoid the Tolkienesque or a Eurasian base with a slightly different coating.
While I don't mind borrowing from real-life cultures, I want to go for something with a pervasive weird- or otherness, intrinsic to the setting as a whole, not just one region.

Do you know of any movies/books/(web)comics/music that might help stoke the creative fires?

Alternatively, what weird worlds have you played in?
Pic not really related. It's a part of Rani Ki Vav, an Indian step well.
>>
What system are you using?

Is the quest serious or light hearted or other?

How many races?

Is magic available?
>>
>>43518628
Read Lovecraft's "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath."
>>
>>43518665
It's more about the world building itself, rather than for a specific game/campaign, but I'd say that magic and supernatural creatures exist.

>>43518703
Will do.
>>
>>43518741
Lovecraft actually did some pretty decent stuff when he wrote in a more pulp fantasy fashion. Keep in mind he was buddies with Howard.
I also recommend Celephais and The Doom that Came to Sarnath. Both of those stories show the old school approach to fantasy as founded on weirdness and a sort of fictionalized projection of historical imagery.
>>
>>43518779
Fun fact, I named my very first D&D character after Sarnath.
>>
>>43518791
Did he have an irrational hatred for amphibians?
>>
>>43518628

Try the "Avernum" crpg series. It's set in a vast system of underground caverns with all the weirdness that brings.
>>
>>43518810
Well, no. I didn't really play that character very long for that sorta stuff to come to the front. He was kind of a Broody McAngstypants, and I kinda quickly grew bored of playing him.
>>
>>43518820
I remember playing the demo for that a fe years back. I'll see what it's about.

On the subject of underground stuff, a friend of mine recently finished a setting which, in essence is Fallen London/Sunless Sea, if there also portals that lead to subteranean seas on other planets. It's like a mixture of Sci-fi/fantasy/steam-punk, with the players being the crew of, basically a coal-fired Serenity.
>>
>>43518820
>Avernum

Youngster...
>>
OP here, with a short list of settings I've seen, either here or somewhere else that kind of have that weirndess.

>K6BD: Throne is at the hub of an gnostic multiverse, built from the corpses of the dead gods. Hinduist/Buddhist influences in aesthetics
>Blades in the Dark: ancient cataclysm blocked the afterlife, wilderness overrun with vengeful spirits. Victorian/edwardian era technology. Leviathan blood (demonic whale oil) important commodity.
>Entire planet is water, citys are build on the shoulders of giants wandering the oceans (seen here on /tg/)
>>
>>43518628
palace economy. the capital city is essentially one vast palace from which all economic activity is controlled.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.