[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pathfinder General /pfg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53
File: 244_001.jpg (69 KB, 488x730) Image search: [Google]
244_001.jpg
69 KB, 488x730
Pathfinder General /pfg/

"Knowing is half the battle" edition

If you are asking for build advice, please mention if any third-party books are allowed, and if so, which.

Unified /pfg/ link repository:
http://pastebin.com/HwxEjiKW

Previous thread: >>43509313
>>
File: warforged paladin2.jpg (147 KB, 400x335) Image search: [Google]
warforged paladin2.jpg
147 KB, 400x335
Ironborn Paladin
how do?
>>
File: 1430089366517.jpg (23 KB, 600x238) Image search: [Google]
1430089366517.jpg
23 KB, 600x238
>tfw Paizo's still making money for their toxic opinions and terrible game design
>>
File: 1446535878389.png (160 KB, 1305x892) Image search: [Google]
1446535878389.png
160 KB, 1305x892
>>43518651
you fucking know it
>>
Are there any guides to building a Cryptic? The one I found on Zenith is utterly useless.
>>
Why do y'all care so much about martial/caster disparity? Yes, casters can do cool stuff but ultimately it's a team game; martials and casters should be working together towards their end goal anyway.
>>
>>43518734
>Yes, casters can do cool stuff but ultimately it's a team game; martials and casters should be working together towards their end goal anyway.

I absolutely agree with you that the disparity doesn't matter as much as people like to argue becuase, in the end, this is a team game meant to tell a story with people you like.

However, this does not mean there is no room for improvement with martials, specifically in giving them more "fun" stuff to do; take the Fighter and Slayer for instance, one is an example of everything wrong with Paizo's game design, while the other is seen as one of the few totally acceptable martial classes out there. Why? Because the Slayer has options. Unlike the Fighter, the Slayer can be a trapfinder, a hunter, an assassin, the guy that knows everything about a town or the guy that can get you into locked places. The Fighter cannot do this, the fighter with their 2+int, limited skills can barely know more than "I can swim and climb", and their class abilities relegate it to "I hit things strong."

The differences are even apparent in-combat. The Fighter can only really be built one way; I hit things and they die, and all their class abilities point to this. The Slayer gets things like Slayer's Advance, Studied Target, Slayer Talents, and Sneak Attack. They can be built for ranged, or as a tank, or a flanker, or a CMB Machine. The Slayer has options, the Fighter does not.

This is what people are talking about when pointing out the disparity; not that casters have spells, but that martials can only martial.
>>
>>43518734
Because assuming that teammates are similar people (ie one of them doesn't just want to do the mindless job of 'I stand here and roll the same numbers' every fight), it means that the martials will generally have a less fun time doing their team job.

Many people are in it for the small victories their character gets for being competent/useful.
>>
>>43518734
Because like you said, it SHOULD be a teamgame and martials being completely redundant doesn't really work when everyone on the team is supposed to be useful.
>>
>Get Bestiary 5 from sources I won't go into
>Deep one hybrid
>+2 con/wis, -2 dex
>At 61 years old they reincarnate as a full deep one
>Net bonuses +6 str, +8 con, -4 dex, +2 wisdom

Well, looks like I'm playing a brutal slayer for a harpoon build, need that +12 str boost before items.

I might need some charisma for intimidation, tho.
>>
>>43519158
>I might need some charisma for intimidation, tho.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/intimidating-prowess-combat---final
>>
Onyx gems, how much do they weigh per 25gp in pathfinder?

Because while playing 5th ed (Don't judge) I noticed that some heavy onyx statues were only 1500gp. Making it like 5gp/lb. I hope pathfinder is not like that but it was such a funny visual they asked me why I was laughing at the DM repeating their weight and value. I was just imagining some poor wiry necromancer trying to shove 5lb chunks of onyx into a skeleton eye socket and getting winded.
>>
sup bros. Busy preparing for my epic-level campaign, and i got the idea to make custom 'very super special' magic items for each of my players. Basically, i'm throwing MOST of the rules of 'proper' magic item building out the window, mostly because i want the items to be 1. Cursed in some way 2. Intelligent and 3. Grow in power/caster level as my players gain levels, and combining all these things RAW is pretty much impossible as far as i can tell, so i said fuck it.

First, i'll give a small bit of background info: we'll be starting at lvl 6, gestalt, soon-to-be mythic, high point buy, and a good likelyhood of going over WBL - basically, balance is out the window, and we want the most big and epic fights we can have.

So far, my ideas are the druid/brawler getting a staff that will recharge over time instead of having to consume spell slots, and contain spells that druids can't possibly cast; and the psychic/Cavalier getting a weapon that's intelligent, transformative(he really wants to be able to have a spiked chain and a lance in one weapon, who am i to say no to something as cool), and eventually grows with his level.

my questions then are twofold. First, how can i balance the idea of one person getting something that levels with them, and another not getting it? is the best idea to just make a different item for the druid that levels with him? and secondly, would anyone have cool ideas for an item for a barbarian/monk?
>>
>>43519236
>would anyone have cool ideas for an item for a barbarian/monk?
Gauntlets made of bear heads.
>>
>>43519218
It was mainly a joke for the picture but I might end up taking that feat regardless.
>>
Can someone explain how Superstition works for a Barbarian?

To be healed in combat I need to make a save? What if the spell requires no save? I don't understand. Or should it just be treated as an SR check for the caster?
>>
>>43518805
Martials are completely redundant? There are so many avenues and options within martials. Look at >>43518798.
>>
>>43519299
>To be healed in combat I need to make a save?
Yes.
>What if the spell requires no save?
Then you obviously DON'T need to make a save.
>I don't understand
Many(most?) beneficial spells like Cure Light Wounds and Haste DO allow you to make a save. This is generally marked as save: Fortitude negates(harmless) or along those lines. Normally, you willingly fail those saves as a matter of course(because why WOULD you want to succeed?), but the spells still do allow for saves and, as a barbarian with superstition, you can't willingly fail them.
>>
Multitalented: Half-elves choose two favored classes at first level and gain +1 hit point or +1 skill point whenever they take a level in either one of those classes.

What if the half-elf in question is a gestalt with both classes being favored? Would the half-elf get +2 sp/hp per level?
>>
>>43519284
i feel like the druid might have a thing or two to say about this...that will be fun :D
>>
>>43519502
no
>>
>>43518798
Well really, it's called the Figher
I wouldn't expect it to be a paragon of versatility
>>
Regarding the Warder's Armiger's Mark: "Marked targets suffer a -4 penalty to attack rolls against foes that are not the warder [...] Multiple armiger's marks overlap (do not stack)."

Does it mean that if two Warders both mark the same target, then that target would have a -4 to roll against either of the Warders, or against none?
>>
>>43519502
Yes.
>>
>>43519502
You'd still only have one favored class bonus to distribute.
>>
>>43519631
>>43519720
Now I'm confused.
>>
>>43519718
Either.
>>
>>43519727
That's up to GM's interpretation, really, since gestalt rules haven't been updated to Pathfinder.
>>
>>43519730

So you're saying if the enemy was fighting two Warders and got hit by Armiger's Mark, they would effectively suffer a -4 fighting either of the Warders and a -8 from fighting neither of them?

Damn.
>>
>>43519728
Trust me, I have proper capitalization and punctuation, I'm obviously better.
But seriously, I don't think gaining two sets of favored class bonus would be a powerful ability. Even if you munchkin it and use on two really good bonuses it would only make half-elf be as good an option as humans usually are.
If you're the player, ask your DM what he thinks.
If you're the DM let the player make his build and review it before the game to decide if it's broken or not.
>>
>>43519751
No. -4 against everybody. They overlap, so if he attacks one warder he receives the -4 from the other and vice-versa, but they don't stack so the penalty against attacking other characters is still only -4.
>>
>>43519807
Fair.
>>
Path of War classes:
Do stances known count towards your maximum maneuvers known?
>>
>>43520156
no, they are seperate
>>
>>43520156
They do not. while they count as maneuvers for the purposes of meeting prerequisites (For example, I believe every level 9 maneuver requires "Four [discipline] Maneuvers Known", they are part of a separate pool and don't count against your allotnment known.
>>
>>43520176
>>43520163
Aight thanks!
>>
File: 1383834915449.jpg (596 KB, 1280x1990) Image search: [Google]
1383834915449.jpg
596 KB, 1280x1990
>>43518536
>Take the Unsanctioned Knowledge feat and choose Holy Smite for the 4th level spell
>Take Craft Wand
>Make Wand of Holy Smite, and attach it to the bracer on your right arm
>Take Leadership
>Get Bard or Skald cohort

Liberate Cybertron

>http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/unsanctioned-knowledge
>http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/holy-smite
>>
>>43518734
There's a difference between teamwork charity. Teamwork is when a group of individuals with disparate skills come together to create a whole that's greater than the sum of their parts, creating a situation where 1+1=3. Charity is when one person fails to reach their potential because they instead spend all their effort trying to help a handicapped individual do things they should already be capable of doing, 1+1= 1.5.

A class like the Fighter brings no resources to the table. Sure, he can fight, but ao can everyone else, and generally just as effectively without needing someone else to solve every speed bump like pits, traps, control spells, social encounters, etc. for them. Meanwhile, classes like the Ranger, Paladin, Inquisitor, Bard, Alchemist, Magus, and others can often deal close to or as much flat damage as the Fighter while also bringing their own healing, skill facility, buffing, control, or other tools to the table.
>>
>>43521298
Funfact, I'm going to do something like this for a homebrew, except instead of wands this fellow invented the Null Weapons, and is canonically the first Paladin in the setting. Later on, in the culmination of the war, he asked his Patron to extend the ability to accept their covenant to all beings of stout heart who are worthy of it. Afterall, justice and worth is the right of all sentient lifeforms.

Paladins in the setting are exceedingly rare, moreso on the other planets, but each of them is has the character and spirit of 100 men
>>
>>43521412
Not only that, but people want to be competent in the thing there character is known for, generally without the aid of others.

If I make a badass warrior, I don't want to have to rely on the mage just so I can even hope to hit the critter. Boosts by other characters are fine, but I know when I want to play a character I want to be competent in my area of expertise.
>>
Odd question regarding how Spheres Casters and Akashics interact.

So, levels in Vizier count as caster levels, right?

Would that stack with Sphere Caster CL? And are spell points based on class levels or caster level?
>>
>>43521968
>, levels in Vizier count as caster levels, right?
I don't think so. Where does it even say anything like that?
>>
Why do Stalkers have a weak Ref save? How does that make any amount of sense?
>>
>>43522003
They get Dex and Wis to reflex saves is how.
>>
Has anyone played the Witchwar Legacy or The Moonscar? Either of those any good as high-level modules?
>>
>>43522003
Both stalker and warlord are supposed to have good reflex save. You can ask Chris for proofs on gitp.
>>
>>43522345
Stalker I get, but how does Warlord have one?
Weak REF progression and no innate class features that boosts it.
Only a Deadly Agility warlord would have a decent ref save.
>>
Does anyone know where I can find a PDF of the latest version of the Mystic?
>>
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=612834

I popped up in an earlier thread asking about Sword+Board and got suggested Viking. How does this look?
>>
>thinking up homebrew magic class
>keep wanting to include the word "Magus" in its name
Fuck. I don't know why, but the word Magus is just so pleasing to me. Shame I fucking hate PF Magi.
>>
File: FORWARD.png (205 KB, 800x900) Image search: [Google]
FORWARD.png
205 KB, 800x900
ARISE /pfg/, IN THE GLORY OF DARKNESS.

Or, just, in general. I have that information for volunteering on PFSRD here for ya.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O1J7r7DS8FskBAZi4qDXxYKuXJxcgTDHw5XAQYwIQsE/edit#heading=h.588bz31y864v

If you know anyone who'd be willing to help, please pass it along.
>>
>>43522510
are you limited to 1st party?
>>
>>43522622
Yeah, I am. Warder looks fun, but we want to keep it a little simpler for a couple of new guys
>>
File: 1425254750950.jpg (8 KB, 201x251) Image search: [Google]
1425254750950.jpg
8 KB, 201x251
>>43522594
Nice to see new pics from Gareth
>>
File: great evil.jpg (132 KB, 860x645) Image search: [Google]
great evil.jpg
132 KB, 860x645
>>43522657
>>
>>43522654
I understand but I think sticking to "simple" classes is doing newbies a disservice.
>>
>>43522417
dreamscarred store, d20pfsrd store
>>
File: 1432777862403.jpg (138 KB, 1363x766) Image search: [Google]
1432777862403.jpg
138 KB, 1363x766
>>43522594
Hello Gareth. Have a picture for your folder!
>>
>>43522719
T4 problems.
>>
>>43522398
just because a class has a class feature boosting Reflex, that doesn't mean they need Reflex as a good save. look at, say, paladin, for a lesser version of that.
>>
>>43522398
>>43522767
and conversely, just because a class doesn't have any class features boosting reflex, that doesn't mean it needs a poor reflex save. see the bard.
>>
File: 1403180565409.jpg (134 KB, 900x331) Image search: [Google]
1403180565409.jpg
134 KB, 900x331
>>43522742
>>43522657
>>43522594
more pictures for gareth
>>
>>43522398
in fact, I'd make the case that since the warlord is a more martially-oriented, less magical version of the bard, it should have roughly the same saves, but with worse Will (cough Force of Personality) and better Fort
>>
>>43521968
>>43521995
Ah, it's that I misread something. It only counts as that for purposes of feats and abilities. Still could be useful for investing Essence into Spheres items for temp spell points.
>>
>>43522722
Well, it's a decision the DM's made. I don't mind, since both of the ideas I had were pretty doable. Still, are the ability scores alright? Or should I try to get a little more into Constitution?
>>
>>43522767
>>43522789
>>43522848

I think you completely missed the point of my question.

>Claim: Stalker and Warlord are 'supposed' to have a good reflex save

>My question: I see that Stalker gets Wis to Reflex and also generally leans towards a finesse style in flavor, so how was a Warlord's reflex save intended to compete?
>>
Spheres caster question: If I take levels in two different spheres casting classes with different casting stats, may I use either one, or do I have to use the higher of the two?
>>
>>43523006
Never mind, I checked the book.
>>
File: Sylvia.jpg (79 KB, 480x799) Image search: [Google]
Sylvia.jpg
79 KB, 480x799
>>43522742
>>43522847
Danke anons. And, again, please share the link around; the PFSRD is a resource that helps all of us out, and it'd be nice to see it able to, y'know, maintain properly. With the slew of releases from Paizo lately it's all John can do to keep up with the 1pp, let alone anyone else.

Where is the koala anon?
>>
>>43522999
quite simply, it's not, even if it DOES have a good Reflex save because it's dared to train against evocations. it just does as good as it can do.

I'd also like to point you to the fact that it gets Solar Wind in-class, gets bonus combat feats to support a finesse-weapon fighting style, and its signature discipline is meant to be used with rapiers, so I don't know why you're saying it's not as finesse as Stalker, even if that finesse is in the mechanics rather than the fluff.
>>
>>43523204
So have you ever considered doing a decent Necromancer option/fluff setting?

Because a lot of people are gagging for an interesting setting where Necromancers aren't EVIL AS BALLS.
>>
File: arch-militant.jpg (44 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
arch-militant.jpg
44 KB, 500x375
>>43523204
that is some form fitting mithrial scalemail
she should be cut so much
or its just fashionable
>>
>>43523311
MILLENNIAL KING
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Millennial_King

Also, Athanatism or whatever it's called has some interesting spirit-related stuff. And positive energy soulknives that use cancer-blades.
>>
File: Baron.jpg (138 KB, 462x800) Image search: [Google]
Baron.jpg
138 KB, 462x800
>>43523311
Yes. Yes I have. And some death-themed stuff in certain projects I can't talk about yet.
>>
>>43523329
According to a previous post by him, it was originally dragon hide. And now it's an astral suit.
>>
File: choatic evil.jpg (60 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
choatic evil.jpg
60 KB, 500x375
>>43523339
more pictures
>>43523348
ah right, makes sense
>>
File: bard buffing.jpg (31 KB, 437x236) Image search: [Google]
bard buffing.jpg
31 KB, 437x236
>>43523339
>>
File: Dead_Army.jpg (224 KB, 910x512) Image search: [Google]
Dead_Army.jpg
224 KB, 910x512
>>43523339
I really, really want something similar to the Dread Necromancer. It was easily my favorite class in 3.5 due to being the optimal Skeleton horde platform.

I get that Juju Oracle is similar mechanically, but it just doesn't do it for me, you know? I want to command a legion of undead through sheer arcane might, rather than divine power. That may seem like a weird distinction, but hell is it important to me.
>>
>>43523311
Balls aren't evil, dude. The penis is good, the gun is bad.
>>
File: good necromancer.jpg (101 KB, 630x617) Image search: [Google]
good necromancer.jpg
101 KB, 630x617
>>43523441
it is fun
>>
>>43523441
Minionmancy is also hard to balance. Especially with undead, since they have this tendency to...breed, as it were. Which is not to say I won't try but, I mean. 's a bit of a bitch even when it's done right because eventually you're still staring down having a fuckton of people you're controlling at the table.
>>
>>43523475
>Which is not to say I won't try
Really, that's all I ask. You and your team tend to go for what makes the most sense for something, is fun, and generally interesting. you do good work, and I'd love to see anything you come up with.

and if it doesn't work out, hey, whatever. the attempt was there and there may be something salvageable from the flaming wreckage.
>>
>>43523441
Sacred Necromancer is pretty baller.

If you're doing a Mythic game, Mythic Command Undead is the be all and end all ability.
Intelligent Undead no longer get additional saves.

It's glorious.
>>
File: 1391865177450.jpg (468 KB, 864x1060) Image search: [Google]
1391865177450.jpg
468 KB, 864x1060
>>43523475
also gareth
recently just discovered the bonus to being a member of the crashing tempest academy
it's so good, wear a gauntlet of adamntine, mithrial, and a helmet of cold iron, and you cover all the bases for ass kicking unarmed
>>
File: 1432338458533.jpg (158 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1432338458533.jpg
158 KB, 1000x1000
>Necromancers
You all disappoint me. Why don't you follow a school with a future that isn't involved in being slain by the living?
>>
>>43523692
That was honestly one of the hardest ones to write and design. Kept not having ideas that didn't just copy the disciplines fluff.
>>
>>43523311
The problem one of my GMs points out to me is that in DnD lore, necromancy is straight up defined as Evil; using negative energy to chain and distort the soul against the Good natural order. Necromancy uses evil energy by definition, and even a good character somehow using necromancy for good is still performing an Evil act because they are channeling evil.

Personally I like the idea that necromancy is just a bad rep name for 'Biological/medical magic' spread by old fashioned religious traditions, and there's the popular tg screenshot of the necromancer who created zombies for the population so the living wouldn't have to do manual labor, but that's technically homebrew.
>>
File: 1391865309431.jpg (412 KB, 526x735) Image search: [Google]
1391865309431.jpg
412 KB, 526x735
>>43523778
it's good
just discovered it when my group were talking about the martial traditions, and my oh my, it solves a problem I was having with the aurora soul mystic and bypassing DR
>>
>>43523475
Part of me feels like the balancing point of the 'horde of skeletons' style might just lie in the normal rules for resurrecting things without racial HD.

I mean, you raise a skeleton of a level 20 wizard, he's still got like 5 hp. Lots of incredibly fragile dudes as opposed to trying to have each one individually be relevant.

Not saying there shouldn't be ways to improve them beyond that, but keeping them comparatively weak allows you to have a larger amount. You could even speed up the process by having the class raise skeletons with specific stats rather than using the person's existing physical ones. This means that peasantry is just as useful as

Combat isn't slowed as much if you have them all move on the same initiative, and significant things like dragons could just wipe them out wholesale anyway, so they'd be more useful as a sort of meat/bone shield..

But if you wanna terrorize a village? Use your army of skeletons to build a castle? Have them make a bridge out of themselves so you can cross a ravine? Carry you around on a palanquin so you don't even have to walk?

THAT's what a Necromancer should be about.

>>43523859
See, that's the thing though. They says it's evil and slap the evil tag on it. But it doesn't use the power of evil, it uses Negative Energy, which isn't evil any more than Positive is Good. And souls aren't affected one whit by most necromancy.
>>
>>43523921
How the fuck did I just forget to end that sentence?

Makes the peasantry just as useful as anyone else. Blegh.
>>
>>43523921
i sort of feel like, for player characters, you want a small group of absolute terrors, rather than a horde of angry undead villagers. I think that's where the biggest problem lies, though.
>>
>>43523921
>Negative Energy, which isn't evil any more than Positive is Good

Citation needed
Not because I disagree, but if it existed by RAW it would be great to convince said GM
>>
>>43518439
Why does /pfg/ focus mostly on Path of War?
Not saying Path of War is bad, just that it seems to be a central point
>>
>>43523859
inflict wounds spells don't have the evil descriptor, so that argument (any use of negative energy is inherently evil because the energy itself is evil) falls apart fast (does the evilness get cancelled out by inflicting wounds/repairing undead being a good act?)
>>
>>43523982
it's the easy road to having a good martial character, and people here have a fetish for good martial characters
>>
>>43523702
Nigga Please, people die anyway, it's recycling in its most glorious form.

>>43523859
My Current GM runs it the same way early dissection was treated.
Heresy, icky as fuck, illegal, gonna get your nipples clamped by an inquisitor.

Could still save a lot of lives.
>>
>>43523982
1) Actual fun game design (To most people)
2) Devs actually put on trips and discuss the design decisions with us here and handle feedback very well
3) /pfg/ echo chamber viral marketing also plays in
>>
File: 1444682727983.jpg (65 KB, 640x462) Image search: [Google]
1444682727983.jpg
65 KB, 640x462
>>43523982
making a good caster is fucking easy, and old
however
>>43524004
what he said

good martials are a thing now with Path of War
>>
>>43523967
Only reason Undead are evil is because Pharasma Said So. That's literally it; Urgathoa decided that she didn't want to play Pharasma's life-cycle game and went undead because of it, so Pharasma did the metaphysical "fuck you" to her and the type of beings she spawned.

There's a reason why the Negative Energy plane is an elemental plane rather than an outer plane. Outer planes represent alignments; Hell is Lawful Evil, for instance. but the elemental planes are unaligned, so it doesn't really make much sense for negative energy powered beings to be pure evil outside of a god saying so.
>>
>>43524033
is that a bloodrager? I hope that's a bloodrager.
>>
>>43523958
That is indeed the issue. It's harder to have an undead army when the game's generally about a small team.

It sounds entirely doable to me, but it would probably be a class for smaller or solo games. Two or three party members at most.

>>43523967
Both Negative and Positive Energy elementals are neutral. The planes themselves don't have an alignment to them. Positive and Negative are both just energy, two sides of the same coin. Acids and Bases. We just happen to be powered by Positive.

The Cure spells aren't Good either, are they?
>>
>>43524032
>>43524033
I guess I see, yeah. I've never really had enough of an issue with 1st party martials (In terms of fun, and in terms of usage) that I felt the need to seek stuff like this out.
>>
File: sword mage.jpg (82 KB, 500x748) Image search: [Google]
sword mage.jpg
82 KB, 500x748
>>43524097
I think that is someone using wild magic
and they are gonna get buttfucked
>>
>>43524111
Well you play at level 1. Martial characters aren't totally inept at that stage.
>>
>>43523982
Really good, unique martial characters are one of the least supported concepts in PF. Most characters, particularly 1pp, regardless of the trappings that are hung on them, ultimately fall back to the very basic full attack dynamic, or the very inefficient Vital Strike dynamic. Path of War allows you to play a character who is distinctly martial, but gets to play with the action economy and versatility that normally requires a casting chassis.
>>
File: 1441633409071.jpg (145 KB, 628x1273) Image search: [Google]
1441633409071.jpg
145 KB, 628x1273
>>43524111
are...
are you serious?
>>
>>43523921
I wonder if it's not Neg. Energy that is evil, but it's what you do with it.

We only see good application for Pos. Energy. Say there was a spell which infused a target with so much Pos. Energy, it causes them to sprout tumors and growths which make them explode in a messy fountain of blood. That could be an evil spell.

Likewise, we could use Neg. Energy to kill parasites or tumors with pinpoint use of it.

Negative Energy could be used to treat cancer., it's just stuck in the 'animating undead' niche.

Personally, I've always preferred to have Cure and Inflict spells be Necromancy rather than Conjuration.

>>43524093
Undead have been evil long before Pharasma existed. It's an artifact of older editions.
>>
>>43524155
Yeah. I've never really had this issue. Then again, none of us try to powergame, so maybe that's it

>>43524139
Sure thing senpai
>>
>>43524207
>Undead have been evil long before Pharasma existed. It's an artifact of older editions.
I'm talking specifically about Golarion here, sorry for not making that clear.

My point stands on the whole 'elemental plane of not-evil' thing though.
>>
File: 1431183335031.jpg (56 KB, 467x315) Image search: [Google]
1431183335031.jpg
56 KB, 467x315
>>43524226
After getting a 20 on my initiative roll with a simple 8 + 12. I cast Color Spray and slit your fighter's throat.

That's how it goes Anon-kun.
>>
>>43524274
Did a wizard rape you guys as children or something?
>>
>>43524207
Reminder that Ragnorra, a flying ball of positive energy, is an Elder Evil.

Additional reminder that the biggest reason for a spell to have the [evil] descripter is if it does nothing else beyond causing pain and suffering. Ray of Frost can cool something down or do damage to whatever its fired at. Tongue Slitter, also a cantrip, can only cut a living being's tongue, making it evil.
>>
>>43524207
Yeah, but 'Respect the Dead' isn't a good/evil thing, it's a law/chaos thing. It's a construct of society, not of inherent goodness. Some societies don't give a shit, or would actively support it, like the ol' Millenial King up there.

And you're not actively hurting someone else At least with the normal animation spells because it doesn't affect their soul at all.

Most things are evil based on how you use it. Like the spell Excruciating Deformation. That's got the Evil tag because it's a horridly painful and excessively violent thing to subject someone to. And a really nice spell, to the point that after my Witch used it once, my DM said NO FUN ALLOWED and said now the first save voids the whole thing.
>>
>>43523921
>See, that's the thing though. They says it's evil and slap the evil tag on it.
It depends on the setting, and they usually try not to draw too many conclusions about the natures of souls or how the afterlives work because shit gets messy fast.
I would do several different 'kinds' of necromancy, from just "My ghost buddy animates the first thing I kill a in a combat and ORAORAORAs things otherwise" to "Collect the fading life energy of dying things, cram it back into allies to heal them or dead bodies to make them get up and shamble around" to "I'm a hellish parole officer, and I gotta bag full of evil ghosts learning how to not be bastards, I let them possess bodies and stuff" all the way to "I study souls and soul accessories, and you can't PROVE I'm actually tearing people out of their heavenly reward to make revenants *tips fedora*".
It takes all kinds.
>>
Haha, wow. There's a feat in the Weapon Master's Handbook called "Slipslinger Style". In the context of Golarion, that's like having a feat called Niggerthrower. Fuck.
>>
>>43524249
>>43524359
Here's the way I understand it; Urgathoa was the first undead, so all undead after her are either made in her image and that image is Evil. They're destructive, they're consumers, they kill and only exist to cause pain and suffering and satisfy their own selfish and unnatural hungers.

Undead do evil things, that's what makes them evil. No different than demons.

Demons are evil because of what they are and what they do, not because a god says they are. From our human/mortal understanding, they fit the bill of evil.

Now, if we had an undead creature that was Good, like a Ghost, or one that was a returned soul of some kind, like a Phantom, that's another argument. To me, stuff like the Medium or Spiritualist are supposed to represent the benevolent or at least not inherently Evil side of Necromancy.
>>
http://pastebin.com/NTtck04K

What do you guys think of this?
>>
>>43524226
It has nothing to do with power-gaming. My guess would be that your group's average system mastery is relatively low, and/or the average level the group plays at is fairly low.
>>
>>43523921
I always find the best way to deal with Necromancy as a PC isn't to go full Skeletal horde, or if you do have them be a background thing.

Focus on a few powerful unique undead that have their own back stories.
My current one is LG and basically acts as speaker for the dead, he has a group of undead across the alignment spectrum who bow to his wishes because he's the only one that speaks up for them or can give him what they need/want.
From the LE ghostly bride of Zon-Kuthon who follows him as he's the only one that can touch her and thus bring her the pain she desires.
To the Necromancer Zombie Ex-whore, who he saved from another, much less stable Necromancer.
To the Deathless Wight of totes-not Atilla the Hun, who wishes simply to see his wife and children reborn.
And the horde of Attic Whisperers he rescued from a single Krovak Bugbear, that created them over aeons, who now basically have a Bioshock Little Sister thing going on.

I imagine when he finally dies and stands before Pharasma, it'll go something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSyuv_PjtHo
>>
>>43524226
>Then again, none of us try to powergame, so maybe that's it
I think you might be assuming that "I want my character to be stronger/better/more interesting" with "powergaming".

For many people, who have been raised on any combination of media and events (videogames, books, movies, martial arts training, gang life, etc.), they know that characters in a fantasy game have the ability to extend past the physical limitations of humanity and reality. They also see, through their previous experiences, that the martials in Pathfinder are simply not living up to their potential; a truly-skilled warrior could run you through with a pike and toss you off to the side, or could hurl his axe into your shield before bashing you to death with the pommel of his sword. A Full-Attack action is not the same as these things, and so they are disappointed.

Path of War gives martial characters these things, and also gives magical characters more cool abilities too. I know that when I first started playing I tried to make a videogame-style "wizard" with the vancian system; it was boring and not very fun. However, when the Mystic was released recently I remembered back to that time and said "wow! This is exactly what I was trying to do!"

However, because these abilities are obviously better than the Fighter or the Rogue (which is what people assume is the baseline), it gets called "overPOWered" or "POWergaming". Which is truly sad, because Path of War is honestly meant in good spirit.
>>
>>43524368
Of course.

But by the actual rules, there's nothing stopping a person whose previous body is now an animated skeleton from being revived, other than the fact his body is currently in use. If a finger got cut off after he died? Resurrection'll do the job. If not, it'd take a True, but they still work perfectly fine.

>>43524421
Undead are categorically different to demons though. demons are evil because they're literally COMPOSED of it. They have the Evil subtype, which means the metaphysical force of evil flows through them, so even if they STOP being evil like the Succubutt, everything like Smite Evil still TREATS them as evil.

Undead are just undead. A good undead can't be smite-evil'd like a good demon could be. And it's not their actions that make them evil, because the spell is, so it's evil before they've even done anything, or you've told them to do anything. Using undead to build an orphanage? You're still evil for making those skellies, even if you balance out from the orphanage.

Again, we come back to the basic fact that a lot of people are very stupid. And probably that having Good and Evil as actual forces is a terrible, terrible fucking idea.
>>
File: 02_MAWMay2006_72_ppi_bn302.jpg (234 KB, 640x407) Image search: [Google]
02_MAWMay2006_72_ppi_bn302.jpg
234 KB, 640x407
>>43524421
>>43524493 here
That's pretty much how my GM works it, all Necromancy was tainted by Urgathoa in her first act as the first undead. Kinda Original sin-ish.
So way we worked around it is that my character found the point where she first broke through into the world and went backwards through it, basically working backwards through the act (and the spells) and removing her bullshit.
It was a pretty baller sidequest with Pic Related as the breaching point.
>>
>>43524488
your formatting's weird, and the example is necessary because it's otherwise not explaining itself too well.

and what's with appraise being in forge lore rather than artistry? grouping reasons?
>>
>>43524504
it's also unfortunately outdamaging the barbarian (as someone who's tired of the catchphrase "POW is overPOWered")
>>
>>43524405
The idea of someone specialising in thrown black people scares me a little. Do they have to get an endless quiver to hold them, or what?
>>
>>43524602
>outdamaging the barbarian
I would like to call bullshit, unless it's broken blade, which is already getting a nerf incoming, as are the other Maneuvers that were too strong
>>
>>43524504
I think the implication wasn't 'We don't powergame so we haven't looked into PoW so we can powergame' and more 'We don't powergame, so the difference between characters hasn't been as prevalent, thus not necessitating a boost to the martials'
>>
File: 1419098218153.jpg (100 KB, 998x810) Image search: [Google]
1419098218153.jpg
100 KB, 998x810
>>43524658
>Powergamers r badz gaiz! We play real classes like teh barbarians and teh bardz who does all the squirky squirkies

fuck off.
>>
>>43524651
We ran the numbers a while back; a full initiator can spend some of their class features to pretty much rival a barbarian who spent all their class features on damage in DPR.

Being silly and using discipline weapon adaptation to use Broken Blade with twohanded weapons made the initiator's damage shoot way above and beyond.
>>
>>43524690
... Did you actually read what I said, or are you just mashing the keyboard?
>>
>>43524690

Anon please, he brings up a completely reasonable point; most people don't really run into the big issues with 1st party martials because most people don't play in campaigns where the limitations of those classes became apparent.
>>
>>43524535
> there's nothing stopping a person whose previous body is now an animated skeleton from being revived
Depends on the setting. I will note that necromancy still kind of comes off as a jerk option when Rezzing is so common and assumed by the system.

Assuming specifically golarion, though, I think I'd wangle up a flexible positive/negative energy class that works on a balance system. Specialise in adding maladies or removing them, specialise in just straight damage or heals, specialise in using positive energy to animate objects or negative energy to still things. Get bonuses for trading between, and some mechanics for getting starter 'pushes' on the pendulum, and rock a good bunch of different archetypes, from the 'vitalist in all but name' to 'cancer mage' to 'LEFT HAND OF DEATH, RIGHT HAND OF LIFE' etc.
Actually, why does negative energy make things get up and bite shit? Shouldn't it make things decay faster and not preserve them for hundreds of years?
>>
File: Sage.jpg (59 KB, 874x1000) Image search: [Google]
Sage.jpg
59 KB, 874x1000
So I'm making a homebrew Mystic Archetype that meant to be more like "Evoker Wizard" than "Spell Blade". Does this ability sound to strong?

Mystic Attunement:The Soul Sages mastery of the elements allows them to dish out a variety of elemental attacks on the fly. At the first level. When the Soul Sage has one hand free, they can manifest a blast of arcane energy as a ranged touch attack that deals 1d6 damage of a type equal to their active element.
This damage increases by 1d6 on every odd Mystic level. The Mystic can attack with these bolts as many times as their BaB and feats allows. In addition, they can change their active element as a free action when making the attack.
If the Mystic does not change their active element with this ability, they add their Int mod to the attack and damage roll of the blast in addition to gaining a bonus affect. The mystic can spend one animus point to gain the bonus effect, but not the attack bonus.
>Fire, deals +1 point of damage per die
>Cold, deals +1 point of Damage per die
>Electricty, target recieves a -1d4 penalty to all attack rolls for 1 round. For each time the enemy is hit with a blast of this type in a single round, extend the duration of the penalty by 1.
>Earth/Acid, targe recieves a -1d4 penalty to AC and CMD for 1 round. For each time the enemy is hit with a blast of this type in a single round, extend the duration of the penalty by 1.

Finally, when the Mystic initatiates martial strike or counter, it deals 1d6 damage for every Mystic level possesed and all of the damge dealt is converted to the mystics active energy type.

This replaces Elemental Attunement
>>
Anyone have the damage specs on a Handy Haversack filled to the brim with Alchemist's Fire (by weight) and primed with a Shatter detonator?

Alchemist got a couple weeks of downtime and things got out of control.
>>
>>43524771
>rezzing
>common

Only among adventurers, basically. 5000 gp is hell of a lot of money, and 9th level spellcasters don't grow on trees either. Not to mention that actually WANTING to come back to life is probably rarer than you'd think.
>>
>>43524651
Probably true during the first 5 levels of the game, where it seems like the PoW guys didn't give a fuck about balancing at all. For some groups, that can mean months or even an entire campaign of the PoW classes just being flat out better than their martial counterparts.

It's why the lower a group's system mastery is, the more likely they are to think of PoW as OP. They will probably never leave the levels where it's legitimately true, so all their play experience will reflect that idea. There is also the fact that 3pp materials in general are most likely to be used by the guy with the most system mastery since that's generally both the most experienced player and the guy most likely to frequent forums like this, so player skill disparity factors in. People rarely assume that disparity between their skill and the other player's is why they are underperforming, and instead they blame whatever class the other player was running for the disparity, whether that is true or not.
>>
>>43524786
The principle of this ability is similar to the Cryptic, I think you should compare to the damage on that for reference.

Also, this doesn't sound like a very useful archetype since I think barely any strikes or boosts make meaningful use of rays. Most Mystics will just stick to a proper weapon to use their actual maneuvers.
>>
>>43524850
>Not to mention that actually WANTING to come back to life is probably rarer than you'd think.
Particularly among people have, you know, gone to literal heaven.
>>
>>43524690

Anon, allow me to give you a reasonable example of what the anon was talking about.

Arguing about how terrible barbarians or fighters are compared to wizards is like arguing how terrible a sedan is compared to a high-end luxury sports car. Sure, the high-end luxury sports car can go faster and has some fancy bells and whistles, but at the end of the day most people will be fine with their sedan because they'll never get on the autobahn.

Now you could argue PoW is like getting a high-end luxury sedan, and you'd be correct, but the people who still settle on the average sedan are going to have roughly the same experience as the high-end luxury sedan or the high-end luxury sports car, because most of them are going to be driving the same 10 mile stretch around their house and rarely get on roads that really test the limits of their engine.

Calling a class shit because it can't handle the race track is unfair because most games will never become the race track, most games are a pleasant coastal drive with the occasional stretch where you can put the pedal to the metal, and while you'll notice some cars performing better than others at the end of the day you'll still be settling into the same pace, going to the same gas station.
>>
>>43524850
It's still there, though, and fairly commonly accepted. The best way for the gods to fight necromancy would just be to start a campaign to make it cheaper and easier, which cuts out like half of the random assholes that turn to necromancy to get their wife/cat/heir/etc. back from the dead and then get confused and start massacring orphans and declaring themselves the LORD OF BONERS or whatever.
>>
>>43524910
>The best way for the gods to fight necromancy would just be to start a campaign to make it cheaper and easier
Try that and you'll get Maruts up your ass.
>>
>>43524877
Speaking of Cryptic, it seems like a lot of people tend to think of it as being a bit underpowered.

If I ran a base Cryptic and a gestalt Kineticist//Rogue side by side in the same game, do you think the characters would be about even, or would one of them have an advantage? Which one do you think it would be?
>>
>>43524819
Yes, actually.

>throw handy haversack
>shatter detonator goes off, alchemists fire vials all explode
>extradimensional space is breached, all the fire gets sucked into the astral plane
>nothing happens outside the bag.
>>
>>43524954
>Kineticist/Rogue

For What Purpose
>>
>>43524869
reminder that when Path of War 1 was being initially designed it was by 1 person as 3.5 homebrew meant to supplant the Tome of Battle
>>
>>43524953
So we need a bunch of lawful deities to talk diplomacy with them, then one chaotic deity to paralyse them with logic puzzles when that doesn't work.
Like shooting cake in a barrel.
>>
>>43524953
>Not getting the Inevitables on your side or at least wrapping things up so hard in beuracracy that they never get shit done.

It's like dealing with the UN bro, either tall eternally or gain assistance for that sweet, sweet jew money.
>>
>>43524877
I forgot to include the fact that it gets to treat the blasts as thrown weapons and can use them for feats such as Weapon group adaptation.
>>
>>43525010
Drop in a melee option ala Eldritch Glaive and I'm all for it.
>>
>>43524980
Nah, bro.

Stuff only gets sucked into the astral plane when a portahole and bag of holding intersect. When a bag (Or haversack) is breached from inside, everything just spills the hell out.

>>43525010
Rays count as ranged attacks, don't they? And you can already throw stuff like Weapon Focus on them.
>>
>>43524921
Inaccurate. Prince of Knives, who I am pretty sure is Gareth, came in halfway through and started pushing for a lot of the changes that are currently tied to things that people consider OP. It seems like his design has gotten much better since, but someone probably should have made sure Prince had actually played Pathfinder before letting him have so much influence over a major product.
>>
>>43524953
Maruts would probably be behind it.
If it was easier to bring people back to life, there would be less undead mucking things about.
>>
>>43525045
>If a bag of holding is overloaded, or if sharp objects pierce it (from inside or outside), the bag immediately ruptures and is ruined, and all contents are lost forever.

That doesn't sound like everything spilling out to me.
>>
>>43525051
>>43524921
It's a mix of ErrantX (who yes, did create a collection of homebrew called the Libram of Battle to basically make Tome of Battle 2.0) and Gareth both working on it for the majority, alongside other people joining in later on.
>>
>>43524983
The Cryptic gets a ranged touch attack that does 1d6/odd level + Int damage that can have all kinds of debuffs added to it, and has psionic manifesting, trapping, great skills, 3/4 BAB, and some scaling defensive abilities. It seems like that is pretty close to what the Kineticist//Rogue could have, so I'm just curious which would actually come out ahead, two Paizo classes gestalted together, or one DSP class that is often regarded as being underpowered.
>>
Does anyone happen to have art for a white, male scythe user?
>>
>>43525089
Strange, I recall the result being the contents spilling out.

Them just being instantly lost forever means bags of holding are fucking dangerous places to store ANYTHING, since getting a hole poked in it destroys everything forever.
>>
>>43525054
Maruts don't care about undead specifically, they're against all (unnatural) means of extending life beyond where it was meant to end.
>>
I'm going to be running my group through the curse of The Crimson Throne. Does anyone have any advice or is there anything I should know beforehand?
>>
>>43525051
>>43525094
from what I heard Gareth was brought in because of codes of conduct and turned those into martial traditions. had no idea of his other involvement in book 1
>>
>>43525175
They spilled out back in 3.5

Clearly, this means that Boxes of Holding are a much better investment.
>>
File: Greatest_Weaponsmith_In_World.png (2 MB, 1293x1755) Image search: [Google]
Greatest_Weaponsmith_In_World.png
2 MB, 1293x1755
Reading through the Weapon Design rules, and holy shit this stuff looks like a bunch of random-ass numbers thrown together without any sense of balance. At least they included this handy image that pretty much sums up my expression.
>>
>>43525200
Is it considered unnatural if it's granted by the gods?
>>
File: 1445909225281.jpg (54 KB, 557x800) Image search: [Google]
1445909225281.jpg
54 KB, 557x800
>>43525045
I'm planning on granting them something similar to alchemists/arcane discoveries in place of bonus feats. That was certainly one of my ideas. Dark Soul's style soul sorcery was one of my inspirations(the ray attack was originally something like crystal shard), so I was thinking of way to let them have something like that.

The classes fluff is that they control their sorcerers energy using Arcane theory instead of gut instinct, resulting in more controlled attacks. The class becomes Int based and recovers maneuvers differently it also loses some maneuvers known and readied, because I noticed that mystics seem to have more known and readied than any other initiator I assume to balance for the "free action random recovery".
>>43525045
Rays are weird in that they don't work with strikes and maneuvers because they eat up a standard action. My basic intent is that they can get incentivizes with the blast, but the damage boost incentivizes them to not sit on their ass and full attack all day.
>>
>>43525266
Weapon design?
>>
>>43525266
So it's possible to make an absolutely ludicrously strong weapon with no regard for anything else? Because then we can enchant the shit out of it.

If you've got the pages in PDF form, mind posting screencaps?

>>43525320
Weapon Master's Handbook, I think. New book that apparently is going into QA
>>
>>43525290
mystic maneuvers known/readied is there to balance for the low BAB and lack of to-hit bonus (see Harbinger) I'd guess
>>
>>43525290
If I wasn't clear, Soul Greatswords are probably going to be a thing if I can think of way to not make it "you can be a Soulknife but shittier".

>The class becomes Int based and recovers maneuvers differently it also loses some maneuvers known and readied
To elaborate, there going to get a more standard "Full round action, get Initiation Mod maneuvers+benefit" or Standard "get 1 maneuver back" type recovery.
>>
>>43525216
Towards the last half of the PoW playtesting, ErrantX seemed to be taking a back seat and Prince/Gareth was the one responding to feedback on GitP and Paizo and introducing changes and new materials, a lot of which threw a lot of the earlier playtesting that had been done in the trash and doubled the early power level of some of the classes. I frequented the Paizo forums at the time, and I was surprised to find out that Prince of Knives and Gareth are the same person. Gareth seems like a reasonable and smart designer, but Prince seemed like an arrogant idiot who had to be corrected in changes between Pathfinder rules and 3.5 rules frequently and never responded well to constructive criticism.
>>
>>43525320
Weapon Master's Handbook has rules for custom designing new weapons.
>>
>>43525266
Do we have a link or anything for this book?
>>
>>43525352
Part of me feels like an Initiator isn't the best framework for trying to put together something like Dark Souls sorcery.
>>
>>43525419
Looks like only subscribers have access to it right now. The release date says 11/18.
>>
>>43525213
I've ran Curse from the beginning and my players are almost finished.

Here's a couple hints;
>Forshadow the Arkona's, especially their connection to All The World's Meat and Vancaskerkin as well as Devargo Barvasi. Consider making Melyia an ally against Glorio.
>Play up Vencarlo as a great guy
>Make the players like Ileosa right away and make her out to be an ally to begin with
>Keep Zellara active if you choose to involve her a lot. She's actually in a relationship with one of the players now and can be a great NPC.
>The orphans at the fishery make great NPCs for the players to adopt. Kester is a cocky street urchin who became a players cohort.
>In the second advanture, be brutal with Blood Veil. Track it every day and make the players shell out to cure themselves. Emphasize that people notice how healthy they look and that the average person is suffering
>Play up Kazavon more. Make mention of a string of suicides among followers of Shelyn, have a bardic PC start having visions of Kazavon in his human form
>Pick up the Guide to Korvosa and really get into the setting. The players should love the city and there's a lot there to enjoy. They have to want to save it.
>Bring Laori into the game as soon as you can as a friendly NPC who hides her allegiances. My players fell in love with her and she's their best buddy, which makes worshiping an evil god so hard for them to accept
>Don't get hung up in the fourth adventure when the players leave the city. Both it and the mega dungeon in the 5th can get boring and dragged out.
>Rip apart the story behind Scarwall's Chained Spirit. It's silly. Make up your own.
>The last adventure is awful. Rework it. Less time roaming the castle killing devils, more time fighting in the city streets and exploring the Pyramid in the marshland.
>Major NPS should be introduced, either directly or through rumor at least one adventure before the players are supposed to meet them.
>Get rid of Togomor, replace with your own NPC.
>>
>>43525470
i think its being cleaned
>>
>>43525479
Also, replace pretty much every devil you can with Kytons.
>>
Has anyone here used arte mortis in a game or seen it used? I bought it the other day since I love all things necromancy and I was wondering how well necrografts are balanced. I tend to be biased in favor of things like this, especially since the whole book is just cool, and my DM hasn't given me any feedback on it so far.
>>
File: Mustang.gif (959 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Mustang.gif
959 KB, 500x281
>>43525341
True, but this guy is going to be using lots of touch attacks and is basically going to be a pseudo blaster.
>>43525420
It was a part of inspiration. I just wanted to make an elemental blasting class that isn't pure shit or doesn't require a shit ton of re fluffing (E-flux Psy armory). Being a traditional caster limits you to too few classes that's flavor isn't flexible enough(to get any real damage you basically have to be to product of an Orc+Dragon orgy).
>>
>>43525378
Do we really know they were/are the same person though?
>>
>>43525216
>>43525378
Most of my involvement in 1 was class editing and feats. I didn't touch the discs. Glad to hear that I seem to have shaped up.
>>
>>43525589
Maybe swap out initiating wholesale then?

It'd allow you to have some really nice things without having to balance it against what maneuvers they may or may not have.

Plus you get rid of mystic recovery wholesale. And mystic recovery is an abortion.

Just sayin'
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>43525654
>mystic recovery is an abortion

You'd be surprised; after actually playing the class I'm finding it really fun.
The thing that might catch you out is that it means you have to pick maneuvers in a different way than you'd pick them for other classes, but that's an interesting change of pace in itself.
>>
>>43525618
Yeah, that's me. Probably while I was still trying to figure out how to be professional and still struggling with handling confrontation gracefully.
>>
>>43523921
>But if you wanna terrorize a village? Use your army of skeletons to build a castle? Have them make a bridge out of themselves so you can cross a ravine? Carry you around on a palanquin so you don't even have to walk?
Now I want to be Necrolimar.
>>
>>43525654
I was originally going to make it its own class but I feel like making an archetype was easier/makes it more likely to see use. It already aborts Mystic recovery for normal "you get X maneuvers and Y benefit" as a full round.
>It'd allow you to have some really nice things without having to balance it against what maneuvers they may or may not have.
I'm assuming this is being used solely with supernatural maneuvers and the archetype requires you keep Elemental Flux or Solar/Glacial/Lightning/Virulent Wind. I may only allow the blasts to be used either solo or with supernatural maneuvers.
>>
File: seinfield dnd.jpg (533 KB, 920x2999) Image search: [Google]
seinfield dnd.jpg
533 KB, 920x2999
>>43523778
Elemental FLux and Broken Blade combined together are the most DBZ disciplines.
Are any of the DSP crew fans?
>>
>>43525689
Only subs have them, or probably the cleaners.
>>
File: 1381685404305.gif (797 KB, 844x475) Image search: [Google]
1381685404305.gif
797 KB, 844x475
I'm reading through the Way of the Wicked adventure path. HOLY FUCK

This shit is so cool. The final part of the first book looks very, very well done. And the whole concept of the second book, "defend your dungeon," is so neat.

It seems so much more well-written than some of the Paizo material, with details and stuff for the GM.

What happened to the devs of this?
>>
>>43525863
>It seems so much more well-written than some of the Paizo material
This isn't really hard to do, I'll remind you.
>>
>>43525863
Isn't it like super rail roady, and you HAVE to sell your soul to continue and a character was a level 17 dragon sorcerer for sole reason of "so the PC's can't really hurt them". It seemed like it only worked with a certain characters. Lawful Evil "evil campaigns" seem like such a cop out.
>>
>>43525747
What's your goal with this? Just 'blasting magician dude', or specifically an initiating one?
>>
>>43525863
no idea, but I never made it past level 6-7, still trying to get that horn. the pacing in the beginning has serious problems. theres rarely any opportunity for roleplaying outside the party since most of it boils down to "kill everyone you meet" and taking on the first seige is doable without any infiltration. Our party let the bug bears walk in to an empty keep when we opened the door for them. casual fucks.
>>
>>43525863
They did a Kickstarter for a second AP that is now like more than a year overdue. I think they got some bad quotes from one of their artists and have been struggling to keep the business afloat due to poor budgeting since.
>>
>>43525903
But I mean, it was shit like in the first book of Skull n' Shackles.

One of my players pointed out something that I had already noticed, and was afraid of. He asked, "so uh, who are we pirating?" There's wild Jungle around us, empty ocean to the left, colonies that are already paying tribute to us to the south east, a giant fuck huge hurricane to the north stopping us from really pirating up there, and then super defended nations beyond that.

And also, there's no real detail for HOW DOES THE FUCKING CREW GET TO THE DECK. There are two stairs going up, both in the captain's or officers rooms. Does the entire crew constantly move about in that hatch in the center? I guess so.

Details like that.
>>
>>43525479

Why is Laori such a cutie?
>>
>>43525936
Elemental damage guy. I'm refraining from tacking on Magician, I don't want it to be a caster. Damage focused casters eat way too much shit for not spamming save or sucks.
>>
>>43525920
>>level 17 dragon sorcerer
someone post the stat block to this, I will be impressed if the players can't kill it by level 10.
>>
>>43526014
I mean 'magician' in the sense that they use magic. Not being a 'caster' per se.
>>
>>43525939
When we ran it we had a bunch of skill heavy con artists who went for social manipulation and such. We managed to avoid much direct conflict except on the ones where we were specifically trying to off someone, or some village. More fomenting discord and letting the townsfolk do the work of disrupting their own government.
>>
>>43525966
I don't know, man.
Probably one of the best NPCs in any AP and the best written Evil NPC who isn't meant to die in a fight.
>>
>>43526043
They do something supernatural, but it's not magic. I don't acknowledge anything that isn't an Arcane or Divine spells as "magic" thematically.
>>
>>43525964
S&S also assumes a party of adventurers are going to let the same guys who shanghaid them treat them as their buttboys for weeks on end instead of acting like god damn PC pirates and ganking the first mate the first time he tries to whip someone for insubordination. It is possibly the worst of Paizo's APs. At least Kingmaker tried to be innovative with the kingdom building rules, poor as they were.
>>
>>43526127
Well then that's a difference of interpretation.
>>
File: Weapon Design.jpg (1 MB, 4300x3000) Image search: [Google]
Weapon Design.jpg
1 MB, 4300x3000
So here's the Weapon Design system. It could be cool, but the fact that you have a hard cap at 11 points (Exotic two-handed weapon with 3 additional DP, lesser damage, and the fragile weapon feature) means you're actually pretty limited, especially since getting an 18-20 crit range costs 7 DP alone.

It does, however, allow you to make some pretty dumb weapons, such as the Extendo Arm.

>Extendo Arm
>Total Cost: 108 GP
>Exotic melee One-handed Close weapon (6 DP)
>Added DP 2x, Lesser Damage, Fragile (-4 DP)
>Weapon Feature (Reach) (1 DP)
>Attached with penalty reduction (3 DP)
>Spring-Loaded (2 DP)
>Concealed (1 DP)
>Finesse (3 DP)
>Tool (Thieves' Tools) (0 DP)

So what we have here is an Inspector Gadget-style arm that does very little damage but can disable device or steal objects at range with the same amount of precision as your actual hand while out of combat. While retracted it even looks like your hand so as to throw off observers.
>>
How reliant is the Vizier on Int? Can it get by on 16 Int, or should I have my sphere casting stat line up with my veilweaving stat.

It's for an epic-level thing. Sorcerer 20/Incanter 5/Vizier 5. Might go Elementalist 5 instead for something more unified and for more blasty blasty, but it fits the whole theme of new/alternate approaches to the arcane arts that I'm going for.
>>
>>43526256
So, wait, is there anything stopping us from just taking Signature Moves and dumping 900 gold worth of DP into damage dice, followed by crit multiplier and crit threat range? because a 900 gold weapon nets us 66 DP to play around with at the cost of a trait for a level 1 character.
>>
>>43519158
>Get Bestiary 5 from sources I won't go into
Fuck your shit
>>
>>43526441
Yes, actually.
>This quality can be selected twice for one-handed weapons and ranged weapons, or three times for two-handed weapons
>>
>>43526340
Depends on the veils you choose. If you focus on no save veils and pick a path like Crafter that doesn't have mechanics that proc off your Int, you don't need much.
>>
Tell me about Androids, /pfg/. Are they any good?
>>
File: 1446932373888.jpg (534 KB, 1000x1482) Image search: [Google]
1446932373888.jpg
534 KB, 1000x1482
>>43526544
Yes
>>
>>43526517
Two DP is a shitton?

You can take it twice. That's it.
>>
File: 2db80n6.jpg (34 KB, 413x478) Image search: [Google]
2db80n6.jpg
34 KB, 413x478
>>43526517
>Still, that's eminently abusable. that's a shitton of DP and a lot of costly things to spend it on.
Not really. Several of the games weapons already break the system(Elven Curved Blade).
>>43526544
Thematically, no. They are shitty copout for people who thought a "real robotic/construct" would be OP.
>>
>>43526256
Being a two-handed weapon gives it 3 additional points, so the hardcap would be 14
>>
File: 1411532742665.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1411532742665.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>43526617
I, for one, welcome our robot overlords.
>>
>>43524421
Does Orcus not exist or what?
>>
>>43526517
No. It's not a lot of DP. Capped at 11 DP. 7DP to make a 18-20 crit range. Can't get improved crit multiplier with it, because comboing these things doubles the cost of the DP for improved crit multiplier.

gg
>>
>>43526617
Pft. Flesh.

Pleb-tier desu
>>
What if we redesign all martial characters in Paizo's APs with PoW classes, is this a fool's errand?
>>
>>43526673
Not in Pathfinder, no. I think Orcus is technically WotC IP, at least as far as the OGL is concerned. Demogorgon too.
>>
>>43526648
That's 11 including the 3 additional DP from being two-handed.
>>
>>43526702
Maybe important NPC's. Initiating mooks seems like it would be too much paper work.
>>
>>43524493
This is fucking brilliant
>>
>>43525762
Add Riven Hourglass to that.

Pic semi related.
>>
>>43526719
>6 for exotic
>3 for two-handed
>3 for additional DP
>1 for fragile
>1 for lesser damage

that's 14
>>
>>43526702
I see people do it all the time. The issue is that a lot of the time that means any NPC in the first book of the AP can 1 round most party members which is often not fun. It is worse if the party has non PoW martials, because PoW doesn't mix and match well.
>>
>>43526719
Isn't it 6 (exotic), 3 (two handed) 3 (increased price), 1 (fragile), and 1 (lower damage)?
>>
>>43526528
I planned on going Seer, which doesn't seem to proc off Int. Though this is really a matter of whether or not I should focus on Cha for my bloodline stuff from Sphere Sorcerer or if I should focus on Int, since I can use that as my casting stat with Incanter, and it's my veilweaving stat. Plus, it'll be better for skills, since I can then take Student of Philosophy and get Int to Bluff and Diplo.
>>
>>43526760
Fuck, that'd be way too hype
>wizard time stops to get away
>knock his shit in
>>
File: 1437391872420.jpg (60 KB, 610x529) Image search: [Google]
1437391872420.jpg
60 KB, 610x529
I want to marry a drow
>>
>>43526728
>>43526773
The important NPCs then, might make for more of a climatic battle
>>
>>43526775
>>43526765
Right, my mistake, I missed the part where you get DP based on handedness.
>>
>>43525920
It has a good reason for the Sell your soul thing, which is basically that the guy that busts you outta prison at the start is a fucking egomaniacal lunatic that isn't going to let anyone get in the way of his bullshit.
So, he does it as insurance.

And the latter is done really well, its a nice plot twist and a good take on the classic princess of pure heart who comes of age defending the kingdom from a great evil schtonk.
In that you're the great evil.
>>
>>43521298
Where can one find this comic? It looks awesome.
>>
>>43525964
>Who are we pirating.
There's a constant stream of ships through the Shackles basically, heading southwards to the various Mwangi Trade posts, where they trade civilization, cash and shit for slutty black booty bitches, diamonds and cocaine.
That and the huge hurricane to the north is semi-passable if you know how to skirt it, basically the Pirates flit past it, grab what they can and retreat when Cheliax sends its armadas after them.
So there's plenty to steal really.

As for the latter, yeah, its daft.
>>
>>43526777
Int only matters for Seer if you choose veils that grant a save.

I would probably still go with Int though, you'll get more benefit out of it long term, particularly at the level you'll be playing at.
>>
>>43526256
Do we have any more pages of this book than this?
>>
>>43526780
Normies, get out
>>
>>43526780
You're not drowanon!
>>
>>43526799
Well, got onto it then!!
>>
File: 1396913290460.jpg (107 KB, 400x680) Image search: [Google]
1396913290460.jpg
107 KB, 400x680
>>43526779
Yeah, but, it is a stance.
There are better general stances at that level, it is situtationally hype, and if you could change your stance during the timestop, super handy.
I honestly think it isn't as good as people make out. Amazing if a timestop is cast, and it doesnt give you extra actions, in a game where action economy is king. But at level 15, I dunno, I just wish it did something more.
But that just might me being a greedy cunt.
>>
File: Stardust Crusaders - 263-018.png (302 KB, 656x1029) Image search: [Google]
Stardust Crusaders - 263-018.png
302 KB, 656x1029
>>43526779
>Make a Stalker 2 / Cleric of Trickery 10 / Battle Templar 6
>Prepare Time Stop as a domain spell
>Follow enemy wizard through frozen time
>Just before his Time Stop ends, use a standard action to cast yours.

Pic related.
>>
File: 1399233593942.jpg (160 KB, 400x744) Image search: [Google]
1399233593942.jpg
160 KB, 400x744
>>43527037
it does give extra
fucking grammer, my general spelling
meh
you get what i mean
>>
Using PoW, what should Saitama be statted as?
>>
>>43526256
>Rapier
>One handed martial weapon that costs 20gp: 8DP budget

>Finessable (3DP)
>Double improved threat range (3DP+7DP)
>1d6 damage (2DP)
>15DP total, 7DP overbudget

Rapiers OP?
>>
>>43527057
>Make a Stalker 2 / Cleric of Trickery 10 / Battle Templar 6
Ooh explain these?
Fuck, I want to play DIO so bad but I don't think it's possible, and it'd be That Guy as fuck
>>
>>43527037
It is really specific

You would have to be right next to the Wizard and how often are you fighting wizards strong enough to cast time stop anyway?
>>
File: lucha.jpg (123 KB, 800x537) Image search: [Google]
lucha.jpg
123 KB, 800x537
>>43527075
>>43527075
You can't stat him.
He is a fucking commoner, with infinite str, dex and con.
It cannot be done.
>>
>>43527075
Saitama is a Warrior with absurd stats .
>>
File: Stardust Crusaders - 263-019.png (296 KB, 656x1029) Image search: [Google]
Stardust Crusaders - 263-019.png
296 KB, 656x1029
>>43527057
I had to post the next page.

>>43526877
I think it's from Transformers Spotlight: Optimus Prime
Check the Transformers General thread on /co/ to be sure.
>>
>>43527093
Stalker is a class from Path of War (Wisdom-based sneaky fucker), and Battle Templar is the initiator/divinecaster theurge class.
>>
>>43527098
>>43527116
But all he did was train really moderately hard for 3 years
>>
>>43527076
A lot of existing weapons cost more DP than they'd be allowed.

>>43527075
How many times is this gonna be asked?
>>
File: 1445810223904.jpg (271 KB, 860x1236) Image search: [Google]
1445810223904.jpg
271 KB, 860x1236
>>43527157
Don't knock it before you try it.
>>
>>43527075
Saitama:
STR/DEX/CON: Infinite
Has the cyclops ability to determine the result of any d20 roll, except at will rather than once a day. This can be applied to attack rolls or saves.
BAB: 0

Feats/other class features: None
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.