[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board Games General /bgg/ - Do you Catan edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: night of the living fatbeards.gif (4 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
night of the living fatbeards.gif
4 MB, 500x281
Obligatory resource link:
http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

Old thread >>43423614

>What was your gateway game that brought you into the hobby?
>In your opinion, which game has the perfect balance between theme and mechanics?
>Do you play board games online and if so on which platform (PBEM, Boardgames Arena, Tabletop Simulator, Vassal etc.)?
>Are there any game designers you feel are underappreciated?
>>
>>43518394
>dat nerdrage

I've had times when my port was cut off but damn son

What got my into board games was playing Ticket to Ride with my family
>>
>>43518394
Pandemic was what finally did it. I'd played Catan and CAH from time to time, and they were fun, but it was Pandemic which grabbed me and my friends and got us to start devoting time to the hobby in general.

>In your opinion, which game has the perfect balance between theme and mechanics?
This is entirely as a result of my manic playing of it lately, but, Cthulhu Wars. It really does hit the spot, though.

>Do you play board games online and if so on which platform (PBEM, Boardgames Arena, Tabletop Simulator, Vassal etc.)?
I've played an online game in VASSAL before. It works. It's better for solo runs, though.

Honestly no. I feel like the known game designers get just enough appreciation as they deserve.
>>
File: wishlist.jpg (4 MB, 2568x2552) Image search: [Google]
wishlist.jpg
4 MB, 2568x2552
What should I get first?
>>
>>43518972
Fury of Dracula or Dead of Winter are both fun.
>>
>>43518972
Without knowing what you like, how can anyone here answer this?
>>
>>43518972
pandemic is a fun game to play with a few friends, kills about 45 minutes a game. But don't expect to win. Especially with the expansion packs, they just make it harder. We've won a few times but the ratio is like 1 to 7
>>
File: generalist.jpg (63 KB, 361x500) Image search: [Google]
generalist.jpg
63 KB, 361x500
>>43519242
Pandemic also allows to you to play as Katniss Everdeen
>>
Blackout's funding continues to rise sluggishly. In a poll sent out to backers, the creator asked if we'd be interested in the stretch goals that aren't reached as add-ons (most for $10-$15). Even with the Final 48 push, I don't think we'll reach $125,000 for the Mind Crawlers (which got swapped with the Infected Humans stretch goal).
>>
>>43519263
She looks more like Morgan Webb or Megan Fox.
>>
>>43518394
>>What was your gateway game that brought you into the hobby?
Drakborgen (Swedish original) in 1985 and Drakborgen II (Expansion) 1987. After that RPGs took over mostly and now that RPG-time is rare-time it's back to board games the last couple of years. Neuroshima Hex is one of ones that got me back into boared gaming again and I have about 40-50 titels now.

There are no such thing as a perfect balance.

>Do you play board games online..
No. It's a social thing and my physical sphere of friends and random people is big enough that I don't need to go online for my social boarg gaming (which is about twice a week or so).
>>
>>43518394
i like that at that size he can't even throw his considerable weight around properly because he fat gets in the way of getting anything under his center of gravity
>>
>>43518972
Depends on your aquired taste. I find Pandemic a bit lackluster but the mechanics are good. I've had fun with Roll for the Galaxy and think it fixes most of the issues I had with Race for the Galaxy and I just aquired the expansion which adds a lot of new starting cultures and planet for some added variety. Alien Frontiers was really nice, but I get abit confused when it come sto all its editions, expansions and kickstarter material.. I find that a bit off-putting. Fury of Dracula is a very talked about game that people seem to love. I personally don't like pure deduction games and the one time I did play Fury of Dracula we ended upp killing Dracula very quickly. Not a huge fan of real time history wargames but Memoire 44 is popular among the people who do. I still havent had the chance to play Eclipse, despite the geografical closeness to the creators. It don't seem to be the 4X game I have been looking for but it might still be a fun game. Scythe looks beautiful but the game play (so little space) still has a lot of questions to be answered. Havent looked into Mistfall at all. Quantum is just a little bit to abstract for me and is Others out? I'm sceptical to it though, that whole look at the pretty miniatures.. And then what else?

Big pile of thoughts in a block of text.
>>
>>43518394
Do they all look alike or is it the same guy everytime?
>>
Spotted a fairly intact looking Dragon Quest box earlier, do you guys think its worth picking up?
>>
File: img_0417.jpg (855 KB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
img_0417.jpg
855 KB, 3072x2304
I've heard so much praise for Cosmic Encounter, here and elsewhere, but something keeping me from it is that you don't seem to get many components for the price. I know FFG has good cardboard stock and all, but for an MSRP of $60 (which is, granted, $40 on Amazon), it just seems lighter than other similarly priced games.

Is this just me who thinks this? Maybe it's the fact that there's no real gameboard. I'm the sort of Ameritrash gamer who loves seeing a big board with thematic artwork and neat little pieces.
>>
>>43518972
Fury of Dracula, if only so you can sell it at a higher price once it is inevitably sold out.

>>43520220
Look at it this way: There's 50 different aliens in the base set, of which you'll play with only 5 at the same time. That's 156250 different combinations. Each expansion adds 15-20 aliens. Don't worry about there being less components, what's important in Cosmic Encounter is the player interaction that comes up due to how all the aliens work.
>>
>>43518418
>>43519916
It's some fatass youtube e-celeb who pretends to be retarded because "ha ha, he is a nerd and he is fat and gets angry about nerd things".

That is is his job. He makes a living from this.
People pay him to be fat and pretend to be angry.
This is what entertainment has become.

He also whines about how turning into a landwhale isn't his fault and people actually feel sorry for him.
It's seriously disgusting.
>>
I;m fairly new, a friend got in to it about 2 years ago, I liked the idea but not so much his games. I bought Game Of Thrones 2nd edition & that was it for me, I was in
War Of The Ring maybe, havnt played enough. Might say Game Of Thrones again though
No
Probably couldnt name one
>>
I'm currently enjoying playing Twilight Imperium. In fact spending most of tomorrow playing it friends.

It's the first board game I've ever bought. I had the misfortune of very few board games growing up and most were incomplete (second hand) or out right shit. I didn't realise that board games could be so much more.

I was also looking at the following (I don't mind random chance in my games but I like the ability to use tactics etc):

Fortune and Glory
Arkham Horror
Eclipse

What does /tg/ think what would you recommend I'm also interested in shorter/smaller games also but have no clue where to start.
>>
File: Star Wars rebellion.png (710 KB, 1024x424) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars rebellion.png
710 KB, 1024x424
anyone else looking into getting Star Wars Rebellion?
>>
>>43523649
>Game Of Thrones
>balance
you mean the card game then
>>
>>43524257
>shorter/smaller
If you enjoy the social aspect of ti3, get a game with bluffing/lying/roleplaying.
Sheriff of Nottingham and Cosmic Encounter are great games that reward smart plays, wheeling and dealing, and improve with a bit of silliness in roleplaying.
>>
>>43524327
The day it premiered it piqued my interest, but now all I can think about is when Twilight Struggle is getting that reprint and making it way to my house.

There are so many other two player games I want to get to the table these days. Although it is nice to see a return to form for FFG, and I will be following the game to see how its receive, unless I can convince a friend to buy it, I do not see myself playing it ever.
>>
>>43519500
I know the guy doing Blackout, it's honestly a money scam to pay off the rest of his mortgage and to finish his first Kickstarter.

He's got another Kickstarter ready to go in a few months to then try and cover Blackout, it's a real mess. Avoid it bro.
>>
>>43524437

My group is quite mixed some play very smart, others average and one plays like a world eater in every game.

In the first game of ti3 he drew The Xxcha Kingdom (peace lovers) and proceeded to spark a galaxy wide war of extermination. In every game since he's played the same. He usually only get 1 - 2 VP and doesn't either understand or care that extermination is an unlikely road to victory.
>>
>>43524327
It's gotten some great buzz about it but it haven't really grasped me.
>>
>>43524355
wew lad
>>
>>43524553

well, the great thing is that you can't really go on a warpath in the two games i mentioned.
>>
Could I get some opinons on Lost Legacy (Sets 3 and 4) and Pixel Tactics?
They caught my eye at Spielwies'n and now I'd like to know if they're something I actually want to buy.
>>
>>43518972
Eclipse has been on my wish list forever, but the fact nobody can reliably get together for such a long game kind of kills it
>>
>>43525861
Pixel tactics is pretty fun, although some of the earlier cards just have better abilities that trump their other modes. Games are rather tight affairs when both players know the available synergies and decks.
The first two pixel tactics are solid, I found the third one started to get a bit hazy on what made the cards great. Did not try them out enough to grok the synergies, but it did seem to lose the simplicity inherent in the first two sets. I have no clue what later sets are like.

If you see the first two at a good price, nab them.
>>
File: 1421039910842.png (237 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1421039910842.png
237 KB, 640x480
>>43525934
>but the fact nobody can reliably get together for such a long game kind of kills it

This was supposed to be what set it apart from ti3 during its initial hype.
(yes, i know they are very different games, but this is just too amusing.)
>>
>>43525861
Lost Legacy manages to be even worse than Love Letter. Don't. Yes, it's cheap, but still, don't.
>>
>>43525945
There are multiple sets of Pixel Tactics?
The game they have on offer for €8 is just called Pixel Tactics.

>>43526168
"Worse than Love Letter" doesn't say much as Love Letter is a pretty great game.
>>
>>43518394
Actually it was Arkham Horror. This is why I don't relegate recommendations for entry games to the lightest most casual possible things.

Twilight Imperium 3. It really feels like vying for the throne of a space empire.

Nope.

No clue.

>>43521005
That's an incredibly one-sided opinion. He's actually quite intelligent and approaches video games from a consumer advocacy standpoint. He's tolerant of others' opinions and accepting. He's just created a character for a different channel (which is more popular now) that shows how shitty grognard game playing neckbeards are.
>>
>>43526206
There are a bunch of expansions, they had a kickstarter last year.
That price sounds fine, just go for the basic game and enjoy.
>>
>>43526206
>>43525861
>Love Letter
Coup + expansion is far better.
>>
>>43526383
Coup has a terrible 3 player endgame. It doesn't overstay its welcome like Bang! does, but it is not the be all end all of its genre.
Love letter does its thing of being a micro game, killing time between classes/longer games well, but it is nauseating to see AEG just reskin it endlessly (along with their other products).
>>
>>43526498

At this point, reskins are basically all they have left.
>>
>>43526383
That's a completely different game in intent and execution.

>>43526498
That's why I got the Kanai Factory edition and just stuck with it.

So is Lost Legacy just a Love Letter reskin?
>>
>>43524548
In that case I think I'll drop my Blackout pledge and keep the money, or maybe put it toward Super Dungeon Explore Legends.
>>
>>43518394
Doesnt this fatty have another table flipping gif?
>>
>>43526498
Bang! is just horrible. Love Letter has way to many situations where there's no choises of worth (or at all) to be made.

>>43526584
Yes, it's an entertaining hidden role bluffing deduction game (with the expansion) vs a fairly boring hidden role bluffing deduction game that often end up being automated.
>>
>>43526584
>So is Lost Legacy just a Love Letter reskin?
Not quite, but they're very close relatives (as expected).
>>
>>43525975
It does play faster. If Ecplise takes you a long time, or longer than TI no less...You're probably mentally handicapped.
>>

I played a lot of chess and card games when I was younger, first non-traditional game was M:tG but I haven't played it for 10 years. Playing Munchkin on a party made me want to play some card/board game again.

Too green to have an opinion on that.

The only one I play is dominion on playdominion and only with the computer. I prefer to play the board game versions with people and alone otherwise.

Too green to have an opinion on that.
>>
>>43527028
>Playing Munchkin on a party made me want to play some card/board game again.
Most unusual.
>>
>>43527082

I actually bought munchkin after that, and well I regret it. I think the flack it gets is deserved. That said playing it for the first 2-3 times is fun.
>>
>>43527123
Yeah, it's basically a rite of passage.
>>
Three days left for Super Dungeon Explore Legends, /bgg/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sodapopminiatures/super-dungeon-explore-legends
>>
>>43526912
It does play more quickly. If you use an adjective to describe a verb... You're probably mentally handicapped.
>>
>>43518972
Scythe, by the time it comes out you'll have enough money saved to buy all these and it'll be like reverse-Christmas.
>>
>>43520220
Most of FFG's costs are in distribution and supporting lesser-played games.
>>
>>43528077
Never played Munchkin.
Have played the Munchkin Quest where, every time you explore a room, you have to draw a room tile from a bag and lay it down and fuck around with connector pieces.
After a few games of this bullshit regular Munchkin starts looking like a good game.
>>
>>43518394
Puerto Rico. Same with my friends (played it with one group, bought it, brought it to another group). If your group has intelligent people you can start them off on medium-weights.
>>In your opinion, which game has the perfect balance between theme and mechanics?
I can't tell if Twilight Struggle was designed top-down or bottom-up.
>>Do you play board games online and if so on which platform (PBEM, Boardgames Arena, Tabletop Simulator, Vassal etc.)?
I just use a shitty Terra Mystica AI.
>>Are there any game designers you feel are underappreciated?
The guy who does all those microgames.
>>
>>43518394
Chaos in the Old World. Played with a bunch of friends, one of them turned out to be a stealing cunt who fucked the other 2 guys over some serious cash.
>>In your opinion, which game has the perfect balance between theme and mechanics?
Chaos in the Old World. Even though a euro at heart, it makes you want to play like the god you're impersonating.
>>Do you play board games online and if so on which platform (PBEM, Boardgames Arena, Tabletop Simulator, Vassal etc.)?
I sometimes play Race for the Galaxy using Keldon AI.
>>Are there any game designers you feel are underappreciated?
Scott Almes makes very tight designs.
>>
>>43527082
>>43527123
>>43528077

funny how munchkin gets repeatedly mentioned as one of the doors into the hobby. It was the first non ccg game I bought. I got my magic buddies and gf hooked; after some Pillars of the Earth and Puerto Rico, we moved into ti3, dominion, and cosmic within a year. Munchkin never got brought back, despite having bought 5 expansions for it. We never saw it as bad or a waste of time, we just had newer, more exciting games to play.

7 years later, I've married the gf, still play with the original gang, and even roped one of the original guys' brother into the hobby.

It is a fun past time.
>>
18XX are the worst kind of boardgames ever.
>>
>>43535456
I disagree but I don't see why we need more than a hundred either.
>>
>>43518972
Scythe
>>
>>43520220
>I've heard so much praise for Cosmic Encounter, here and elsewhere
Honestly? Are you sure it isn't thinly veiled sarcasm.
>>
>>43525945
>>43526206
>>43526234
I backed the completionist deluxe version myself... waiting for it to arrive
>>
I grew up playing monopoly, risk, Phase 10 etc with the family. I grew into the hobby as they left it behind
I'm bias as fuck but Shadow of Brimstone is just so fucking great. It has all the thematic feel of a western lovecraft, with the tight mechanics of a dungeon crawler.
Tabletop Simulator. I have very few IRL people to play boardgames with, so I try and find online players
>Are there any game designers you feel are under-appreciated?
Honestly Flying Frog Productions has some pretty amazing games I hardly hear talked about
>>
HERE NOW AND ONCE AND FOR ALL ETERNITY

TI3, Eclipse or Exodus?
>>
>>43525945
>lost the simplicity
Even with how much I love Level99 (even being a volunteer for them at Gencon), Complexity Creep really is a problem of theirs. Mancers is way more complicated than base Argent, the BattleCON sets get more complicated as they go. I think they run out of simple ideas, and resort to more and more complicated ones as time goes by.
That said, they seem to recognize this and are trying to make an effort to stop it, from what I've seen of the playtest stuff.
>>
>>43538387
They also seem to be a small development team but are handling so many games at the same time... they end a kickstarter and already have another in short time, with a few other games in development. I think they should focus on refining and managing the games they already have. Not stop creating games, but maybe at a slower pace.

It makes me sad that they seem to have abandoned Sellswords
>>
File: 1419828356467.png (2 MB, 2016x899) Image search: [Google]
1419828356467.png
2 MB, 2016x899
>>
File: 1427020402432.png (3 MB, 1833x1500) Image search: [Google]
1427020402432.png
3 MB, 1833x1500
>>
>>43538316
The TI3 fans are going to vote TI3, the eurofags are going to vote eclipse, and the Exodus fans are going to vote TI3 because they still like it better, just can't play it as often.
>>
File: 1402892871164.jpg (175 KB, 1040x629) Image search: [Google]
1402892871164.jpg
175 KB, 1040x629
>>43526207
>That's an incredibly one-sided opinion. He's actually quite intelligent and approaches video games from a consumer advocacy standpoint. He's tolerant of others' opinions and accepting. He's just created a character for a different channel (which is more popular now) that shows how shitty grognard game playing neckbeards are.

He's an ambulocetus, none of this matters.
>>
I want to say Carcassonne, maybe Catan?
Ankh Morpork
I tried playing Talisman over Steam, but the only times people wanted to play was when I was about to go outside and play RPGs with friends
Gregory Carslaw, but that's mostly because I actually know the guy
>>
>>43538584
I can tell you, they actually spend a lot of time doing just that. Millenium Blades, for instance, had a ton of versions of refining before they launched the kickstarter, as did EXCEED. BattleCON Online has been in development for a long time, just to name their recent Kickstarters.
Also I think they are taking a break for a bit after the EXCEED kickstarter. They're focusing on doing exactly what you said, basically.
>>
>>43539666
Satan trips!

Do you mean talisman digital? You got a steam link, I'm looking for more people to play it with; the AI is cocks to play with
>>
>>43539921
I see. Also EXCEED seems so pointless to me, since they already have BattleCON
>>
>>43540316
I am worried about why they are bothering with EXCEED at all, apart from partnering up with other IPs. Having a deck, a la Yomi, just feels like an unnecessary shift away from the simple combo and cycles of the base and style hand system. The fact that they put out kickstarter after kickstarter, overtax themselves due to the unlocked content (to which they've repeatedly said "doh! we wont do that again, sorry!"), leaves me wondering if they have become one of those companies that depends on the subsequent success of the latest kickstarter to complete the funding of previous projects.
>>
Any good games for 6+ players? Recently we've run into situations when we gang up on a 5-6 player game and more people show up, so far we've creatively extended the rules for some games (Dominion, Cosmic Encounter) but balance goes out of the windows.

The ones I know about, but don't know if they work well for such a horde:
1. Samurai Spirit 1-7
2. Eldrich Horror 1-7
3. Caverna 2-7
4. 7 Wonders
>>
>>43541063
Once you get that many, my best advice is to either split into multiple games if space allows (gods be praised for my oversised table) or head into social/deduction/party game territory.

Spyfall, Mafia de Cuba, One Night Werewolf / One Night Revolution, Resistance/Avalon, Codenames, Two Rooms and a Boom, that kind of thing.

Never, ever try to play caverna with 7 people.
>>
>>43541063
Incan Gold
Red November
Shadow Hunters
Jungle Speed
Disc Duelers
Bang! the dice game
Coup
Liar's Dice
Skulls and Roses
>>
>>43540571
And they always delay because they are already late with the previous kickstarter. it happened with Pixel Tactics.
>>
>>43541063
Shadow Hunters and Saboteur are both fun.
>>
>>43541063
Only game not mentioned that I remember being good with 6+ players is Struggle of Empires, works best with like 5-7 players. 7-player games can take a long time however.
>>
>>43541892
It is the kind of game that will take around 3 hours though. It is not game of thrones or ti3 heavy, but it is not a game that works when people continuously pop in and out of an evening.
>>
>>43541929
God, game of thrones.
It's not a bad game, but it's about twice as long as it's depth justifies, like Axis & Allies.
>>
>>43541180
>>43541519
>>43541873
>>43541892

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll check them out!
>>
File: paradox.jpg (286 KB, 1400x300) Image search: [Google]
paradox.jpg
286 KB, 1400x300
Hey,

Paradox Interactive (the ones behind grand strategy games such as Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron) are making a poll about board games.

Feel free to participate or ignore.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/questions-about-the-board-games-poll.890034/
>>
File: EU 0.jpg (84 KB, 500x314) Image search: [Google]
EU 0.jpg
84 KB, 500x314
>>43543133
Fun fact, EU used to be a board game!
>>
what are some good 2 player games for people new to the hobby?

Hard mode - plays with 2-4 people, but equally well with 2.
>>
>>43543549
Depends what you want.
If you want games where it is all about amassing an economic engine, creating combos, and racking up more points then your opponents, you can try:
Innovation
Puerto Rico
7 Wonders
Race/ Roll for the Galaxy
Stone Age

If you prefer more aggressive "I am going to kill you and everyone you love", try
Nerusoshima Hex! (2-4)
Nexus Ops (2-4)
Kemet (needs at least 3)
Summoner Wars (2, adding more players is weird and yucky)
Epic: the card game (2-4)

Do you want to combine forces and beat the game as a team?
Flash Point
Pandemic
Dead of Winter (3-5)

Other games that do not really fit those categories, but provide great stories or quirks.
Galaxy Trucker (2-4)
Merchants and Marauders (2-4)
Blood Bowl (2-4)
>>
>>43543737
THanks for the recommendations

I've seen pandemic mentioned a lot - Which copy should I pick up? It looks like theres a new one Pandemic: Legacy.
>>
>>43544399
Just get the original. Legacy is a game you physically alter as games go by. Great got a dedicated group that wants a story to evolve, but if you want to introduce games to new people and expand a group, you just need regular versions of games.
>>
>>43543180
And a really shitty one, just like Civ (the old one) was a shitty tabletop. The new one is just unplayable
>>
>Not a single mention of Few Acres of Snow
God, I wish that game was for 3 players and had Iroqui faction in it.
>>
>>43544765
In other words, you want the Invasion of Canada?
>>
>>43544399
Other headliners in the two-player category are:

Twilight Struggle - essentially the cold war in a box, exceptionally well designed game. Not exactly entry-level, but anyone with a working brain can learn it pretty quick, on of the highest-praised games of all time. No room for additional players, though.

Android Netrunner - In my opinion, the most interesting 1v1 constructed deck card game out there. Really cool asymmetry, Loads of meaningful decision to make during a game, loads of room for creative or clever plays, and excellent matching of mechanics to theme. The core set alone has a ridiculous amount of replayability.

The Duke - Scratches my chess itch in a fifth the time. A little randomness goes a long way in maintaining tension and unpredictability without invalidating clever moves. Love it.
>>
>>43543549
War of the Ring is a 2-player war game with options for up to 4 players (two on each side of the conflict). If you're a fan of Tolkien, I can't recommend it enough. Thematically, it's fantastic, and does a great job of portraying the Fellowship while still focusing on the greater conflict.

But if you're not Lord of the Rings fans, then the games others recommended are probably better to start with.
>>
>>43538944
> the eurofags are going to vote eclipse

what do you mean?
>>
>>43546381
Not tsure what steev would say, but Eclipse has a lot more detail oriented management of your empire. As it gets larger, actions cost more, incomes fluctuate, specific planets matter for the specific cubes they add/remove.

Meanwhile, ti3 is just using planets for influence or production. Keeping track of potential spending power is just looking at what planet cards are face up and what numbers they have. It doesn't feel like you're trying to line up your cubes just right.

It's weird, ti3 in some ways is certainly more euro than Eclipse: more objectives focus on economy spending, techs, planet control, the strategy cards, direct player conflict is not as pushed or attractive. Meanwhile, Eclipse is more focused on getting those vps at random via combatting each other or aliens, exploration is random.

It's a weird thing, to think of Eclipse as more ameritrash oriented. I guess it all comes down to the play time; at the end of the day, euro players don't want to spend 5-8 hours playing a single session of a game.
>>
>>43547229
Great thoughts, though I still think Eclipse's enormously expanded economics still make it feel much more like a resource engine game.
>>
First time coming to /bgg/, just bought scythe. What do you guys think? From briefly looking over the rules, the mechanics seem great, with plenty of replay value.

The only thing I'd question about the game is the balance due to the asymmetrical nature of the game, but for the most part it seems alright.
>>
>>43548311
In general, we think the art and setting is pornographic, the gameplay looks interesting, but the de-emphasis on combat is a little dissapointing. There's a fair but of anxiousness regarding the game, as there just hasn't been that much of the gameplay seen but the art and production seem to promise so much.

Or maybe that's just me projecting my opinions into general consensus like some kind of egocentic attention whore who would use a name on an anonymous imageboard.
>>
>>43541063
CIT
A
DELS
>>
>>43548407
>as there just hasn't been that much of the gameplay seen
I think that's because they posted the protoype PnP files, so anyone who really wanted to know how it plays can always use that. There's the free demo up on one of the simulators (the browser one) too, though I'm not sure if it's still up.
>>
What are your guys' thoughts on Human Interface?
>>
>>43548926
Hadn't heard of it until now, their bgg blurb seems interesting. Not sure I need another squad-level tactical game with Tannhauser around, but diceless resolution sounds fun, has worked well in several other games.
>>
>>43548926
Looks like zombicide with metal(?) minis.
No clue why you'd do metal for a board game but ok.
For metal they look kinda crap and have fairly static poses. The interesting ones are all add-ons or expansions and they're pretty expensive for a single guy you're going to use in a boardgame.

Not to mention it's $100 bucks for 20 Minis. Half of which are shitty drones that look the
>>
>>43549157
same.
>>
>>43524548
Thanks for the input, I was honestly considering contributing.
>>
File: 1989Map-Final-72.jpg (1 MB, 1584x2448) Image search: [Google]
1989Map-Final-72.jpg
1 MB, 1584x2448
Anyone play 1989? Just picked it up, kind of a sequel to twilight struggle. Some different mechanics (lots more remove-on-play event cards, minigame for scoring, possibility for regions to be removed from play) but similar on the whole.
>>
>>43538316
Eclipse or Exodus if your favorite thing is ship customization.
Eclipse if you prefer euro over any other style of game.
TI3 if you're a pig who wants it ALL.
Exodus if you really want to play TI3 but you don't have the time.
TI3 if you have 3-4 players and are willing to play on a 2-ring system, maybe even with Imperial I or II, which takes the same time.
>>
I know playing board games solo is kinda missing the point, but what are some that can be played solo /bgg/? I am a friendless loser right now, so while I try to change that I have nobody else to play with.

Also, can Super Dungeon Explore be run solo?
>>
>>43549687
>Eclipse or Exodus if your favorite thing is ship customization.
Eclipse easily has far better ship customization the Exodus by a country parsec.
>>
>>43549471
I've been playing the hell out of it and I enjoy it more than TS simply because it's not as nerve-wrecking. I especially love the power struggles, they're super fun without dragging on too much.
>>
>>43549471
>this
>twilight struggle
>virgin queen
>here i stand
>andean abyss
>cuba libre
>liberty or death
>fire on the lake
Any other essential COIN?
I don't like World War board games.
>>
>>43549806
>nerve wracking is bad
I just had TS preordered for my birthday, how far into the human psyche does this rattling of nerves go, and how so?
>>
>>43549872
The first 4 are not COIN and though also card-driven, the COIN games play nothing like TS or 1989.

Having said that, I've heard really good things about Labyrinth.
>>
>>43549934
Okay, I just always hear about how 1989 and TS are COIN-driven. Guess I should get Fire on the Lake to tell.
>>
>>43549894
After some time, you will start playing with a bottle of vodka/scotch depending on your side just to take the edge off between your turns. It's the only game I know where both players think they're losing throughout the game.
>>
>>43549894
In TS both players' control over almost any region is tenuous at best.
>>
File: Ogre_microgame.jpg (20 KB, 205x346) Image search: [Google]
Ogre_microgame.jpg
20 KB, 205x346
>>43518418
I once shoved someone into a folding table and knocked some shit over. It was because they purposefully fucked up some of my rulebooks and I kind of hated them anyway (had called me a "neckbeard lard" earlier).

Needless to say, I was banned from that LGS. Nobody pressed charges though, phew.
>>
Starcraft the board game, 94$, tax included, no shipping if I do warehouse pick up. Worthwhile?
http://www.espacejeux.tv/?p=7974
>>
>>43550213
I don't know. Do you like it? It won't ever be reprinted, if that's what you're asking.
>>
>>43538894
How is Mice & Mystics?
>>
>>43550364
Excellent for children under nine.
>>
>>43550364
It's really bad, rulebook is a mess, the game is way too heavy for children and way too simple and random for adults.
>>
>>43518972
Fury of Dracula is fun as shit as long as the right guy plays dracula. It isn't really a competitive game, dracula can hide near Ireland the entire game and stall until he wins in a few turns, but if the guy playing dracula is attempting to make it fun for everyone it can be great.
>>
>>43550387
>>43550451
that's sucks. I love the aesthetic and idea behind the game. I don't mind random but if you are mentioning how random it can be, what makes that part of the game so bad?
>>
File: scbg.jpg (92 KB, 780x374) Image search: [Google]
scbg.jpg
92 KB, 780x374
the most "Complex" board game I possess.
>>
>>43550474
Fuck, looks like half my group can never play Dracula.
OTOH, the other half would make EXCELLENT Dracs.
>>
>>43550480
The encounters in each room are randomised, if you get a difficult encounter in the first room you'll put a lot of cheese on the cheese wheel, making all future rooms more difficult, thus putting even more cheese on the cheese wheel etc. Sometimes you will breeze through a difficult mission and sometimes you will get slaughtered mercilessly during a fairly easy mission due to nothing else than pure luck of the draw.

There's also lots of bookkeeping, the game stops every room to check if there's a new rule introduced for the specific room you're in, if you have >3 players some missions will not let all the players play at the same time (try explaining to a kid why he can't play with his siblings like he did before because of some arbitrary choice of the game designer) and in others you won't be able to choose certain characters, so you will have to use those underleveled characters you never even liked.
>>
>>43550627
Nevermind, sounds like shit for kids under nine.
I was just parroting opinion.
>>
>>43550627
yeah that's disgusting. cool but not fun. Are there any dungeon crawlers that are good for a casual group? not dungeon explorer
>>
>>43550711
My all time favourite is Gears of War, although there's no character development in the game.
>>
>>43550711
The DnD adventure series might be up your alley.
Casual play, a bit of leveling up. I don`t recall them mixing and matching well between games, though.

This anon >>43550757 is right about gears of war being great. You and your buds should feel like pinned down rats trying to save each others bacon, an adrenaline rush that never lets up.
>>
>>43550757
>>43550853
Thank for the info. I'll look into both of those games
>>
>>43549872
>listing non coin games

You want 1960: The Making of the President it's another twilight struggle game
>>
>>43543180
Alien Frontiers
>>
Guys, walmart has the planeswalker game for $25

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/167698/magic-gathering-arena-planeswalkers

I've heard tangentially that it's pretty good and it's kind of like heroscape and you get a shitload of bits for $25, so it's probably worth it just for the shitty minis.

Anyone here have an opinion of it?
>>
I'll just repost my question here since an anon suggested I do so:

Last week I was introduced to Ascension and I'd like to buy some cards of my own. I'm thinking of buying the core set and the Apprentice Edition so I have a basic set for me and all of my friends to play together. I'm curious, though. Does the Apprentice Edition reprint cards from the third edition core set? I haven't been able to find a card list for either set and it's a little unclear to me.

Also, is everything listed on the official website third-edition compatible? I was also thinking of buying Return of the Fallen, but if it's not compatible then I won't bother with it.
>>
File: enderofdays.png (201 KB, 250x350) Image search: [Google]
enderofdays.png
201 KB, 250x350
>>43552073
All Ascension sets are compatible, but this does not mean they necessarily mix well from a gameplay standpoint.

As for Apprentice Edition, I understand it consists mostly of core (CotG) cards plus a few new cards. I wouldn't recommend buying AE and CotG, you'll just end up with a lot of overlap and throw off the card mix of CotG.

Return of the Fallen is not a bad set at all, it really took the core game in the right direction by adding trophies and more complicated mechanics, but the set which I feel best captures the feel of a complex CCG is Storm of Souls; SoS has more card interaction, more cards that are just fun to play, and it still includes the excellent mechanical additions of RotF.

My recommendation is, generally, to play sets by themselves or mixed with the core set/promo cards for shits and giggles; my favorite mix is CotG and Storm of Souls.

If, for some reason, you are dead set on RotF, then go for it. It also mixes well with the core game.

Finally, just as an aside, I think SoS has the best-looking art of all the sets. It's not as (literally) sketchy as the first two, nor is it as hyper-stylized and technicolor as later sets. Oh, and Immortal Heroes is a shit set. Skip it.
>>
>>43552073
Realms Unraveled was my favorite set. Nothing but fun combos with hybrid characters. Transform is a satisfying mechanic too.
>>
>>43552411

From what I'm looking at AE comes with overall fewer cards than Cotg. I'm almost tempted to just buy AE and an expansion, but I want to have more basic cards to mix into my decks for the sake of variety.

>>43552847

That one seems entertaining. And some of the transformations are nice and flavorful.
>>
>>43553235
On the Ascension app, I have broken the game repeatedly with Realms Unraveled. Got into the thousands of points. It is so entertaining.
>>
>>43553235
Yes. AE is basically a half-sized version of CotG. The full set can support four players, AE only two.
>>
>>43553235
Realms Unraveled has more basic cards already (apprentice, militia, and alternative art to boot). Go with core set and realms.
>>
>>43553366

Good to know. Also, what sort of deck size is normal for Ascension? I only plan on getting one or two expansions in the long run, but I can see how that would make for a pretty unmanageable deck.
>>
>>43552006
You get a shit load of bits, but the bits are all pretty shit.

That said, if you're not averse to handing WotC more money for MTG stuff, it's not a bad game.
>>
>>43549872
>>43549934
I'd advise against Labyrinth if you have other COINs on your list or wanting to play. I didn't find the card options particularly nuanced or varied and the rng after a few games really starts to grate, even as the americans.
>>
Does anyone have TTS that want to play Boardgames?
>>
>>43537675

heathen

Cosmic Encounter is fantastic
>>
>>43550213

I have a huge hard on for this game and I would buy it in a flash. That said I'm looking for the English version which is 3 times more expensive.

>>43550548

Totes jelly.
>>
>>43550711

I heard good things about Shadows of Brimstone but haven't played it myself.
>>
Shit I just noticed how cheap the Polish editions of the games are. From the "random questions" dept: What are some *good* games that are language independent - the instruction can be in whatever I'm just talking about hte game.

I have friends that only speak English and hate localizations so I mostly bought games from amazon - seeing I could get them at half the price locally I'm going to do just that.
>>
Which expansion should I get first for TI3?
Gonna give it to my brother for his birthday, then the next one for Christmas
>>
>>43558082
Shattered Empire, the one with the really scarred looking dude on the cover.
>>
>>43558082
I got Shards first. Many things in that expansion are hard to live without (the extra techs, Mechs, Flagships with cost changes, etc) but Shattered Empire completely changes the game. 2 new colors, tons of new hexes, mines, better techs, better ground forces (that capture), ways to enrich planets, more key planets and systems, more domains etc. And of course the strategies and objectives are absolutely necessary, especially relics. You have to get Shattered Empire first but make sure you come back for Shards.
>>
>>43558254
>>43558319
Aight, thanks! Shattered Empire first then. I dont wanna buy both at the same time as its more fun to explore one expansion at the time.
Also. What is the best way to explain and teach someone the game? We had a 6 player game last friday with 3 new players and there was a lot of confusion. Tried having one designated rule-explainer which went well. But the new players got more and more confused as the game went on I think.
>>
Or what is the best way to get someone hooked on TI3? We're trying to get some casual boardgame people to join in on our fun, since we're currently only 3.
>>
>>43558358
I've always started with setting up a mini map and going through the very basics of what your personal board is, and how to move/build. Then I go through strategy cards, and all the fiddly bits.

I've managed to condense the explanation to 25-30 minutes this way, and find it gets to the core of what players need to know: moving, killing, and building, then fiddly bits
>>
>>43558358
Find a Core + Shattered Empire tech tree and PRINT A COPY FOR EVERY PLAYER. Have them circle a tech they buy instead of using the clunky and fidgety cards. I never do this but if I had one thing to go back in time and do for the new group it'd be this.

-1 from the number of rings the book recommends.
Randomly select the hexes but then also randomly place them face down.
Flip the hexes and allow each player to veto up to 2 hexes which are put back in the box and replaced with 2 random hexes of the same type (red or not red).
Keep all empty space hexes in the box.

Play with these optionals:
-Mechanized Units (Shards)
-All racial techs and new techs you have
-All objectives revealed at start variant
-Mix objectives from Core + Shattered
-Imperial as-is and tell every player that Initiative + Imperial has to be taken. This keeps the game light and short. Or use the Imperial II reprint for a slightly less fast game but still required to pick those
-Instruct everyone to focus on expanding early but always qualify for at least 1 Victory Point every turn
-Facilities to fix people who get poor resource starts

Ignore every other optional rule or variant. They add time, randomness, depth or flavor which isn't necessary for a first run. That above is designed to be super fast, simple and cutthroat leaving them wanting more. Make sure you're using the BLACK strategies in the Core book first. Remind people that techs past Objectives usually just waste your time.
>>
>>43558431
>-Imperial as-is and tell every player that Initiative + Imperial has to be taken

fuck. this.
I despire how the initial strategy card set up leaves the first two selections to be telegraphed every time. Shattered Empire fixes this with Bureaucracy strategy card and the option for having all objectives already revealed (but tier II cannot be scored untul turn 4). Suddenly, you can pick whatever strategy card you want as the first player and second players! Suddenly, strategy card # 8 actually gets bonus counters on it, and has extra value when it is suddenly picked, and allows for fun, swingy turns when you signal you are going for mecatol/extra points, and the table has to choose between reacting or following their own agendas.
The new strategy cards in Shattered Empire are what make it a must have as an expansion.
If you have the expansion, there is no longer a reason to play with two free points a turn. Especially if you are trying to speed the game up, yet have 6 players.
I do not see a point in using on of the most poorly received parts of the game in a first run, if the best move is to discard it from then on. Give them the first experience you want to give, then slowly work in the wonderful goodies (racial techs, motherships)
>>
File: gmtplz.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
gmtplz.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Look what turned up in the mail today!
>>
>>43558358
I try not to play with more than four, five at the most - especially when teaching. The game is not as complicated as it looks, but people are going to require a lot of attention to get some stuff through their head.

>>43558374
Don't start casuals on TI3. Get them used to thinking their way through rules and around tactical and strategic problems with other games, you'll save yourself a lot of headache when you try to move them to TI3. And, at risk of repetition, unless you have a freakishly dedicated group like TI3Chick, play with 4-5 players on very small galaxies at first, no more than two rings around the center system. If you want to go big after that, you can, but I like it better small anyways.
>>
>>43558417
thanks, gonna try just focusing on more on core next time.
>>43558431
Will print out next time and minus 1 ring and do the veto with hexes. Though as I said, we havent played SE ourselve before, wouldn't it just complicate it even more with those optionals?
What do you mean with Initative + Imp taken? As in we should just remove them and give everyone 2 VC every turn and free secondary ability?
>>
>>43558509
No you don't understand. Do you want the first game players play to take 8 hours? Imperial I has a very specific purpose which is to speed the game up tremendously. It takes away nothing from your first game. After that, set Imperial I on fire and never look at its ashes again.
>>
>>43558526
No, it significantly speeds up the game.
>>
File: 1423978185404.jpg (54 KB, 340x394) Image search: [Google]
1423978185404.jpg
54 KB, 340x394
(From last thread because fuck you I didn't get to reply)
>what are you looking forward to playing next?
Twilight Imperium if I can ever get enough serious players together.
>what's your wishlist look like?
Almost 90 items in my amazon wishlist. Kill me.
>how do you determine what games to buy? reviews? word of mouth? art? components?
Since I'm new to board games, I buy based on a balance of what's popular at my FLGS, what you dank memers are currently talking about, my personal mechanic/art preference, and what will actually be played when buying.
>what have you been playing recently and how did you like it?
Last game was my first game of Dead of Winter.
Say what you want about zombies, I had an absolute blast.
>favorite games?
I don't think I'm worthy of saying TI3 yet. So Betrayal, Gloom, Star Realms, and Force of Will if I can count tcg card games.
>your best board game related stories?
Too much effort
>ever came up with your own board game idea/design? how far did it go? what was it about?
Still too new to pretend I have enough understanding about inventing new mechanics and not a copypaste of a game that already exists.
>your worst case of buyer's remorse?
I mostly get my games through trading. I obtained Nightfall and two expansions for it since it looked cool. Not only have I never brought it to the table, I have little to no desire to. So if that counts, then that.
>>
>>43557238
Can confirm this game is awesome fun!

Does anyone here use TTS? I could really use a group to play with on it
>>
File: 1414779284507.jpg (353 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1414779284507.jpg
353 KB, 500x750
>>43558737
If childhood monopoly and such doesn't count, then Magic. If that doesn't count, then Star Realms.
I haven't played too many games yet, but Dead of Winter was great. I may only be saying this because it's fresh on my mind, but I felt like the struggle was real and if we wanted to live through the zombie onslaught and not freeze or starve, then we had to work together.
I have Tabletop Sim but I never use it. I'd say about 1/4 of the reason I enjoy analog gaming is because it's analog gaming and not digital. I do play Pokemon tcg Online though, if that counts.
Perhaps Gloom? I don't hear too much about it and it scratches everything I want in a miserable yet goofy storytelling with light mechanics manor. I want to buy all of the expansions.
>>
>>43558737
>tcg card games
>trading card games card games
My bad
>>
File: catte.jpg (57 KB, 374x500) Image search: [Google]
catte.jpg
57 KB, 374x500
>>43558831
>Betrayal
The autist in me wants to redirect that game to /lit/ instead of /tg/.
>>
Would Munchkin be a good board game to get for someone who is like 8-9 years old? Also something I might enjoy playing along with him.
>>
>>43559442
Short answer:
No.
Long answer:
Munchkin is an awful game. It's really a box of mediocre RPG jokes disguised as a game, and it's going to get very stale very fast. If you want to get them a lightweight card game, get them something like Star Realms or Love Letter or Coup or Smash Up or. . . Man. There's loads of good little games out there. Don't buy munchkin.
>>
>>43559442
No. For that age, you can get a bunch of other games that are suitable for children and adults.
The card names are funny the first couple of times you see them, and that is about all that can be said positively about the game.
>>
>>43559482
As for what could be fun,
Smash Up
Smallworld
Carcassonne
Valley of the Kings
Magical Athlete
Camel Up
Ticket to Ride
King of Tokyo
>>
>>43559244
Personally, I think the whole "oh shit nigger you're the haunt, leave the room and read a few paragraphs while your group plots against you doing the same" once one becomes the Haunt is fucking cool.
It has a Binding of Isaac/Risk of Rain feel in that it's all new, unknown, and thus exciting. But I feel once I've played a lot or I read through both storybooks (I won't), it'll lose its luster.

And since there's a faggot war with Arkham Horror vs Betrayal here, I'm eager to pick up a copy of the base game and give it a go.
>>
>>43550548

Found it "used" for about $120 which is probably 1/3 the going price. I write "used" because most of the components are still in vanilla condition, the only thing that's used is the box and some minis got a little damaged.

Two questions:
1. Is this game fun/worth getting? I won't deny that I have a total boner for the theme but the price is steep - I could get 3 other games for that.
2. I heard that FFG has very good customer service, what are the chances that I could get the minis replaced?
>>
>>43559620
It's been out of print for so long, I wouldn't be optimistic about replacement parts, but it's probably worth contacting them to ask.
>>
>>43559562
>>43559475
thanks lads
>>
>>43559620
FFG is pretty amazing with their returns, I can't see why they wouldn't honour it. But then as >>43559729 said, it's been OoP for so long they might just give you a "we wish we could help but..."
>>
On the subject of dungeon crawlers, can anyone give and educated opinion about Sword and sorcery?
I never played Galaxy Defenders and have been keeping my eyes peeled for no Overlord dungeon crawlers
>>
Hey guys, I mentioned a while ago that I was interested in making some how to play YouTube videos because, well because most of the ones out there are shit. I'm getting my recording setup nearly ready, waiting for my blue yeti mic to come in. I still feel odd having a mic in the shot but oh well, sound quality is kind of important to me.

Anyways, are there any kinds of things y'all would like to see more of in that avenue? I mainly want to do those quick how to play videos for myself as well as anyone else. Would also like to do a DIY series showing folks how to make fancy cases for their favorite (possibly beaten up) games.

So yeah, and requests?
>>
>>43560184
Could try hiding the mic behind the game box, one supposes.
>>
>>43560243

I think it's just because I'm used to seeing regular reviewers just use the integrated mics on their cameras. Will just have to see how it feels/looks after a few test videos.

Also, side thing, am I the only one who doesn't like the whole "I'm sitting in front of my game library" angle so many people do? It always felt like a bragging kind of thing to me. I've got a silly background that fits the loose theme of the show that I'll hopefully get constructed within the week or so. Not green screen, don't currently have the lighting or want to do that.
>>
>>43549737
Mage Knight is fantastic solo. It's also great in 2 player coop if you ever find someone to game with. I also recommend Robinson Crusoe, and Awakening the Bear with the solo expansion.

You can also check the "Top 100 solo games" list on bgg. It will give you some more ideas.

Any coop game can be run solo.
>>
>>43560184
Gomes luck anon, because 99.99% of the videos out there are made by mouth breathing, autistic neckbeards or hipstery faggots. Both groups make me switch off in 10 seconds. Here's what I'd like to see
1. Have a fucking script! Or an outline. Or some kind of plan. Half these videos are the hosts rambling on and on. Be tight and concise.
2. Learn how to speak. If I hear "um...uh...um...er", I'm switching off. If you can't string a sentence together, why would I want to watch you play a fucking game.
3. Edit that shit. I don't want to watch your out takes. Edit out all the bullshit and just give us a tight and edited video.
4. Don't get cute. The little bits you have aren't funny. Stahp it. Just get to the point.
5. Have some personality. #4 weeds out the lame humor, but it's ok to have fun. Or get mad. Or have some feels. Just make it honest and not staged. Or I'll kill you.

If you do all that and pick some cool games, I'd watch.
>>
>>43560525
I agree with all of this.
However, I must make a note about the editing.
Editing is almost necessary every time.
If one can do a review with no editing AND pull it off, consider me and many others impressed.
I highly recommend not starting off trying to one-shot a video with no editing however.
Good luck!
>>
>>43560525
>Or have some feels. Just make it honest and not staged. Or I'll kill you.

There's another podcast I listened to before, and they use up a portion of the show reading the emails that people send in. Stuff like "Hey guys, Mike from Georgia here, just writing to say that Tom is cool, but you're a limp dick faggot Chad and I hope you kill yourself. Kthx bye". Idk, your comment reminded me of that. Get a pretty good laugh out of reading/hearing horrible letters like that.

Anyways, yeah, I think one of the unspoken rules is that if an um slips out I'm reshooting it. I don't think I'll have any issues there.

The how to plays will always be really short. I'm aiming for "taught in 2 minutes", maybe some leeway on bigger games.

As for longer review kind of videos, I'll give it a go and see if people take to them or not to see how that goes. I really enjoy drunken talisman with a bunch of friends while also thinking most euros are boring as hell, so ya'll prolly won't want to hear my opinions on things a whole lot, haha.

However, I do recognize a flaw in the reviews currently out there, or rather the way they review things. I think I could do better, but we'll just have to see.
>>
>>43560727

Whoops, also yeah, I've got premier loaded up and a friend who says he can show me some tricks. I'm semi handy in after effects so yeah. Editing will be a certainty.
>>
>>43560322
I think it came from vassal doing his show where he had space, which was in his game room with all his games behind him.

People liked the idea of having board games be the background to a board game show.

I personally like it, it lets you know the tastes (and biases) of the reviewer if it's your first time watching it (and you know enough about board games to make this judgement) and if you don't know anything about board games, then it doesn't take away form the show.
>>
>>43560147
>no overlord dungeon
The two best are gears of wars and shadow of brimstone. Between these two game your dungeon crawler itch will be scratched
>>
>>43549737
I know it's nowhere near completion but keep an eye out for Journey to the Overland. The dev is awesome and very committed to the project. It's shaping up to be a really good game, not just one that can be solo but that was birthed to be played solo.
>>
>>43554123
You don't pre-build decks in Ascension. Everyone starts with the same cards and then buys from a central market.
>>
>>43560322
Back when Board Games with Scott was a thing, he had a black sheet behind him. I'd recommend something like that since blank wall doesn't really look good
>>
>>43561623

Nah, I've got something kind of cool I'm going to have fun making. Gonna look like a dungeon wall of sorts. Picked up a thing or two watching wargaming terrain tutorials
>>
>>43554123
iirc it's like 200 cards? idk that might have been with expansions, it's been awhile, sorry

Imo if you mix all your expansions together you don't pull out the HUGE stack, I'd treat it like a magic cube, and you just pull out like 200-600 random cards or whatever.
>>
>>43560184
Best of luck in your endeavors. If you're lookig for titles, maybe start with BGG's top 100? Or heck, look for a geeklist about "games that don't have enough videos", I wouldn't be surprised if that existed.

>>43560322
You could always focus solely on the game board, though the one person I know who does it only does let's plays and has to cut in cut out every 20 seconds when moving along the board.
>>
>>43561740
Alright so long as you don't go full cringe like that undead viking guy
>>
So it's come to this: I'm getting into Descent 2E. Yeah, yeah, I know but I've got a cheap second hand base game box.

The only thing that's bugging me is the fuckhueg amount of expansions. It's kinda overwhelming.

>Heroes & Monsters
Exactly what is says on the cover with some additional quests thrown in?
>Small-box/Big-box expansions
Comparable to Arkham Horror's small-box/big-box expansions in regards to content?
>Lieutenant packs
Just the model to replace the token from the box?
>>
>>43562426

Im leery about doing let's play's. On a personal level spectating things is boring as shit, however people seem to be all for it on the net these days so maybe?

>>43562445

Haha I forgot all about that. Nearly unwatchable for me. My friend told me about another guy who wore like, latex gloves and stuff while he recorded stuff. People were asking if he had a skin condition or something, I don't think he responded. Ring any bells?
>>
>>43562552
As someone who had every D2E expansion and game, before it was stolen, I wish you all the best. It really is a blast of a game.

>heroes monsters
More or less, just extra monsters so you have more options as overlord. Can't remember if there were quests or whatnot
>small box/big box
Big boxes are usually standalone campaigns with their own set of quests, monsters, etc.
the smaller boxes have mini campaigns that you can play on their own for a quicker campaign, or include them as interludes to bigger campaigns.
>lieutenants
Yup. Just nice models to go with the cards, I never got these tbqh
>>
>>43562655
Oh and forgot to say that the campaign expansions all come with new heroes and items etc to throw into the mix. Honestly the best heroes are in the expansions, a lot more interesting/fun than the base heroes.
>>
>>43562587
Yeah! I don't remember the channel name, but it was a white girl and a non-white guy who appeared to be college-aged or younger. It wasn't even leather gloves if I remember correctly, just cotton winter gloves
>>
>>43562655
>>43562684
Thanks a bunch.

>Just nice models to go with the cards, I never got these tbqh
Hot shit, there are some nice minis though.
>>
Which is better; Imperial Assault or Descent?
>>
>>43564467
Imperial assault has more diverse support in gamemodes (which also means you're paying for components that only work for half of the gametypes), and the quest/mission structure is a little more interesting, so that would be my pick, but honestly go with whichever theme you like better.
>>
>>43521005

> who pretends to be retarded
>That is is his job. He makes a living from this.
>People pay him to be fat and pretend to be angry.
>This is what entertainment has become.

It's like he's some sort of actor or something.

What a dick!
>>
>>43564467
I'm >>43562655
Technically IA is a tighter game, but honestly Descent with the expansions is just amazing. You can't go wrong with both, as they each play a little different from each other.

Do you like Star Wars more than fantasy? Get IA. OTHERWISE I recommend Descent with a couple expansions.
>>
>>43564467
None of them are actually that good but just pick the theme you like the most unless Imperial Assaults extra battleLore style game mode is a feature you really want.
>>
>>43564467
I highly recommend you look into Shadows of Brimstone if you're chasing a dungeon crawler. It's the best one I've found this far, tied with gears of war for me
>>
Got my first taste of mansions of madness last weekend.

>narrative is kind of shit
>set up time is long as shit
>smallest mistake in setup ruins the next few hours of play

I was player, but it really felt like it would have just been easier to do an RPG one shot instead that game.

Anyone have any great experiences they can relate so that I might think twice about just selling off the game?
>>
>>43564966
City or Swamps?
>>
>>43566048
I have city, and it's a really solid game to start. I find the Swamp characters are a little underpowered compared to the city. I'm picking up Swamps this week as they finally got some copies in.

But either really
>>
File: iPad3-mm.jpg (549 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
iPad3-mm.jpg
549 KB, 1536x2048
What about this game? Me and my sister want it to honor the memory of our deceased pet mouse.
>>
Catan probably, but its been too long.
Twilight Imperium hands down. Great aesthetics, great gameplay, the perfect balance of tactics and diplomacy in my opinion. Downside is that it can take forever to finish a match, especially if using the expansions. We had a game go on for a full weekend once.
No, but my group has been looking at Tabletop Simulator as a future possibility for simpler/small games.
Nope.

As a side note I really hate Cosmic Encounter. I see people recommend it all the time but it never clicked with me.
>>
>>43566321
See
>>43550627

Personally I really enjoy it, and visually it looks very good, but this is valid criticism to keep in mind.
>>
I heard Shadows of Brimstone had kind of dull combat. Did people work out a way to fix that?
>>
>>43562552
I just recently got into this and have the Nerekhall expansion. It's widely considered the best possible expansion.

>Heroes & Monsters
Complete ripoff. The heroes come classless so all you get are a small handful of models, 2 cards and 1 hero sheet. For $25+ screw that.
>Small-box/Big-box expansions
The best are big box. Get both of those first then start picking your way through the smaller ones. Big box each have tons of map tiles, items, relics, 4 classes, 4 heroes etc.
>Lieutenant packs
Just a model for leutenants. Probably never bothering with this.
>>
>>43564467
I Fox-and-Grape'd hard after getting Descent and realizing IA was the same game but with some differences added and star wars. But now that I'm on the road to expansions, there's no comparison: I gotta have my pops.
>>
File: keyflower[1].png (383 KB, 580x414) Image search: [Google]
keyflower[1].png
383 KB, 580x414
So, /tg/, my white elephant is in the mail, and suddenly I'm terrified.

It seemed perfect, beautiful, clean, pure...
I read the rules and reviews, watched unboxings and playthroughs, despaired at the fact that it was out of print, rejoiced when the new print run was announced...

I want to like Keyflower. I want to like it so bad... want my friends to like it and play it every chance we have.

What if it doesn't live up to the hype that I've built up? What if I only get meeple and hex-shaped bits of disappointment?
>>
>>43569335
>disappointment
>Game Salute
Just as planned

It's actually a pretty solid game anon, but use the experience as a good lesson about hype. Vasel actually had a good rant about the subject in today's board game breakfast, worth watching.
>>
>>43566020

Actually, let me reiterate what I meant. Why would I want to buy Mansions of madness when I could just buy any main RPG rulebook, print out some premades, and run a 2spoopy one shot night game.
>>
>>43566020
The minis are cool but otherwise sell that shit.
>>
>>43569482
This is exactly why I plan on forgetting Scythe entirely until I receive it in the mail in six to eight months.
>>
>>43571091
Oh.
You wouldn't.
>>
File: 8728603.jpg (60 KB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
8728603.jpg
60 KB, 260x260
>>43521005

Dis nigga just mad cus the fat boi is making easy money and fucking a hot bitch.
>>
>>43550474

>play this game before
>get a game of it going after a 40k tourney
>im playing dracula
>2 of the hunters have played before
>decided to screw with everyones head and go into water after a few turns
>the 2 that played it start saying HE IS OVER THERE!!!! EVERYONE GO THERE WE CAN CATCH HIM! (pointing to england or some shit.
>i was on the other side of the map and just went for a swim to screw with them
>betterthenexpected.jpg

since i wanted a fun game i eneded up going over and biting the player playing the one chick who starts with one bite then playing cat and mouse.

forgot who won. but it was fun. im looking forward to getting the recent reprint of it.
>>
>>43518394
What's the deal with The Duke Reinforcements - Shock Troops, Mystical Troops, and Command Troops? I can pre-order them from MM but there's no release date set, and one dude on BGG said they'd been planned for this year's GenCon.
>>
>>43557425
Tajemnicze Domostwo/Mysterium is dirt cheap in Poland, so is K2. Being from Poland, I find it amazing how huge the board gaming market is here, even comparing with the USA.
>>
>>43564467
Mechanically IA but since Star Wars doesn't do anything for me I chose Glumanda and Descent.

>>43566020
I have MoM with every box expansion and some PoD scenarios.

As the Keeper, set up the game including puzzles and whatnot before your players arrive/start as soon as possible while everyone else is still chatting and grabbing beverages.
Seriously, this takes care of both your last two criticisms and yeah, everyone complains if they have to watch you set up for 30 minutes just to discover you fucked up an exploration card deck because you rushed this shit in a hurry.

>narrative is kind of shit
Yeah, the official scenarios are a mixed bag which is pretty bad in this kind of game. It's not like they're all shit though and there are lots of good unofficial scenarios on BGG. Even the bad ones you can easily improve on like the apocalyptic freezer for instance.

>>43571091
Can't really argue with this one. I usually play MoM with my CoC group because from time to time that's exactly what we want - a board game with board game mechanics and tentacles.

No reason at all to keep MoM if the game system is of no importance to you, really.
>>
File: 1441705669686.jpg (310 KB, 1612x1057) Image search: [Google]
1441705669686.jpg
310 KB, 1612x1057
With christmas over the horizon its time for me to expand with 2 games.
The other will be Eldritch Horror which my group has been interested in for a while, but the other is still open.

We've got a good set of 4-player games, so I'm looking for 5+ players. The following things have caught my attention:
>Shadows Over Camelot
>Twilight Imperium 3
>Exodus: Proxima Centauri
>Descent: Journeys in the Dark
>Eclipse

I know, I know. These are all big titles that most people own already. However I lack all of them (for now).
Our group enjoyed Starcraft and GoT a lot, and making deals with others before backstabbing them is always something everyone loves to do.

Could anyone say which one of them to drop out from the list? That is probably easier than to say which one to get.
>>
File: ghost stories.jpg (1 MB, 2399x2399) Image search: [Google]
ghost stories.jpg
1 MB, 2399x2399
What's /bgg/'s opinion on this? are the expansions any good?

I got this boardgame some months ago and it's very entertaining although beating it it's way harder than it sounds, specially solo.
>>
>Miniature Market announces big price drop
>Everything I find on their website is ~$2 cheeper than cool stuff
>Have the 4% upfront discount on coolstuff
>Miniature Market gives effectively a 1% discount on your next purchase
>Now I'd have to math to figure out which one is actually a better deal for me, but it's going to be measured in pennies

Before you get mad at me for not supporting my local game store, the only one that I have access to is 1.5 hours away because the one an hour away got shut down because they lied about their compliance to building codes and requirements.
>>
>>43574895
>Shadows Over Camelot
Played this maybe 4-5 times and I honestly don't remember much except that it felt more like a chore than fun to me.

Anyway, a few games that might be of interest:

Struggle of Empires - Might be worth a look. Basically colonial powers divided into two "teams" that change composition over the course of three game-spanning wars, that usually got pretty heated. Good with 5-7 players.

Dead of Winter - Not 5+, but 5 max. Still worth a gander if you're into the cooperative with possible betrayer type game.

Dominant Species - Supports up to 6 players, and imo an all around great game.
>>
>>43574895
Drop Eclipse, it has none of this barganing and negotiation in any measureable quantity.
Descent doesn't either, but if you've got two neurons to rub together you weren't expecting that from it.
Shadows over Camelot, depsite pioneering the co-op-with-traitor-maybe genre, hasn't aged very well. It's expensive for what you get (thanks, sexy little catapults) and it's long for how interesting it is.
TI3 and Exodus are both fantastic, but I'd pick Exodus for 5+, despite liking TI3 much better. More than five players with TI3 and you no longer really have room for the extra-compact maps that I really think are a necessity for keeping the action intense and the game length controllable.

Couple other recommendations:
Kemet is fantastic for five, but doesn't go any higher. Not very diplomancy heavy, but one of the most aggressive, intersting, and rewarding medium-weight conflict games out there.

Rex is everything you love about Game of Thrones, but faster, meaner, and in every way better, in my opinion. Only at it's very best with six players, though, due to how interdependent the asymmetrical faction powers are. It's also a great introduction to the Twilight Imperium setting, if such a thing interests you.
>>
>>43574948
One of the most satisfying co-ops, even when I'm getting my ass kicked by it. That said, there are certain combinations that make things easier... damned if I can remember them, though.
>>
>>43574968
>1.5 hours away
So it's not really a local store, is it?

I usually buy games at my local store even if there are no dedicated board game nights (it's all about Magic, Netrunner and X-Wing these days). The prices are very competitive though, most games you won't find cheaper on the net.
>>
>>43574895
> Our group enjoyed Starcraft and GoT a lot, and making deals with others before backstabbing them is always something everyone loves to

Asked this earlier - how do you enjoy Starcraft is it a game absolutely worth getting? I know about forbidden stars, I've played GoT which seems similar (and my biggest beef about it is that it's very long compared what you get from it).

Seems like investing in TI3 would be a better choice then buying sc:tbg.
>>
>>43576548
I think its the best board game I have in my possession, especially with the Brood Wars expansion. But I like Starcraft 1 video game a lot so my views are biased.

I haven't played TI3, so cant talk about it.
As for GoT though, Starcraft offers a lot more depth, complexity and replay-value, something GoT lacks.

If you can grab Starcraft tbg and the expansion for a sensible price then hell yes, go for it. But if all you have available are used copies for steep prices I'd just go for something else.
>>
>>43576747

Interesting. The reviews I've seen are mixed. Some praise it (and my buddies say it's a great game) and some say it's too long, learning curve too steep, upgrades don't make sense, too big etc

The price is big, but not big for that game (about $150).

It's used - i.e the box is beat up and some minis are broken - but apart from that the components are like new, most still in the original cardboard.

I'm still thorn whether to buy it or not, my friends say it's awesome, reviews are mixed, and for the price I could get 2-3 other games
>>
File: 1446089539546.gif (1003 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1446089539546.gif
1003 KB, 250x250
>>43576879
Well I can try to answer some of those concerns.

>Length
Not that much longer than any other epic-length game. The third stage of the game is filled with different special victories for the game to end. And for normal rounds it is said even in the manual that the next player can start his turn while the previous one is still doing things like buying tech or upgrading structures et cetera.

>learning curve
It has depth and complexity but its far from some autistic shit like Arkham Horror. It takes about 2 sessions for players to be comfortable playing the game.

>upgrades dont make sense
I dont understand this one. I thought they were very well done considering the source material. If you want a lurker ya gotta sacrifice a hydralisk to make one.
>>
>>43577066

The reviewers were talking explicitly about how the cards you (upgrades) get make it more random that you'll be able to use them
>>
>>43577148

Derp. Rewording: the upgrades you buy make your hand blow up making the chance of using them in combat less probable then if you weren't buying them.

I don't know if this is a legitimate concern or somebody fails at game analysis.
>>
>>43577148
>>43577188
There's two ways to do the tech cards.
You buy them and shuffle them in the combat card deck, thus randomizing the time when you actually get to draw them.

Or our house rule; you buy them and place them in your hand. They end up in the combat deck anyways but at least if you want something like Burrow you have it in your hand and you can decide if you bloat your hand with copies of it or throw them to the discard pile at the end of the turn.

Either way works, really.
>make your hand blow up making the chance of using them in combat less probable then if you weren't buying them
This just doesn't make sense.
>>
>>43577243

Ok, thank you for the info. Much obliged!
>>
>>43577243

And bought the game. Should come next week at worst.
>>
File: co-related games2.png (6 MB, 1040x3642) Image search: [Google]
co-related games2.png
6 MB, 1040x3642
>>
What's a cool board game?
Cosmic encounter is pretty cool, but are there other cool games?
>>
>>43579433
Uh.
Yeah.
There's lots of cool games.
Give us something to go on - how many players do you have, what things about cosmic encounter do you like that you'd enjoy in another game, that kind of thing.
Or is this just a non-offensive brand of shitpost / bump?
>>
>>43579491
Honestly I meant to shitpost, but I might as well try:
I have lost my interest for those complex epic games like the GoT boardgame where you need tons of strstegy. All I want is stuff you can play over a beer with people that are kinda into board games. The thing I like about cosmic is that it fits that stuff, but is still a fully fleshed out game and not just some shitty partygame.
I know this probably doesn't make any sense and is really subjective, but better than my last post amirite
>>
>>43579578
urite
Maybe:
Chaosmos
Cash & Guns
Coup (G54 best version)
Kemet
King of Tokyo / New York
Sheriff of Nottingham
Hell, you might even like Betrayal at the house on the hill, as much as I hate it.
>>
>>43579715
These are nice, thank you.
I completly forgot about cash n guns, gotta buy/proxy that one asap
>>
Cyclades or Kemet? or Both/EVERYTHING
>>
File: qvGQgNH.png.jpg (390 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
qvGQgNH.png.jpg
390 KB, 1280x853
Custom TI3
>>
>>43579715
>Hell, you might even like Betrayal at the house on the hill, as much as everyone hates it.
FTFY

>>43579578
Also:
K2 - short, fast gameplay, shallow learning curve but still with a little depth
Hanabi - build decks cooperatively but you don't know your cards, maybe a little too partyish/social for your taste
Cafe International - full of glorious /int/-tier artwork, some indirect player interaction but mostly luck-of-the-potdraw with little planning involved
>>
>>43580065
Even Booby Pinky looks impressed.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.