[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Malifaux?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: Group.jpg (695 KB, 2994x1610) Image search: [Google]
Group.jpg
695 KB, 2994x1610
So is Malifaux banned on here or do we just not like it?

Anyone have strategy/tactics resources?
>>
>>43505867

The trouble is that so much of the game is on a game-by-game basis that it's difficult to discuss.

Can't really do army lists like Warhams or the like because you'll be changing them according to Strategies, Schemes and opponents, and the plays you make each turn will depend upon your hand at the time.

For discussion though, as a Neverborn player is there anything I should be looking to grab from the Crossroads book?
>>
>>43505867
I enjoy malifaux as a noob but it's pretty dead in my area. Sad.
>>
I don't play Malifaux but sometimes I pick up the minis because the scale is nice.

But I gotta ask you guys.

Why the fuck are your minis so stupid hard to put together compared to everyone elses?
>>
It's fucking shit

Shit minis, shit rules, shit balance

It died in my area of about 6 million people, because the game is beyond terrible.
>>
>>43505867
Malifaux just overtook 40k as the predominant miniatures game in my area. I play gremlins. With them, you want lots of expendable cannon fodder. Neverborn are glass-cannon alpha strikers. Arcanists vary immensely depending on masters. Outcasts are either shooty, stabby or summon-y. Guild is the shootiest. Ten Thunders play with dumb mechanics nobody else likes or uses. Rezzers spam and buff zombies and hope like hell you can't rush their master/support pieces. Everything has a hard counter, but can't often do the job of dismantling the other team while also achieving its goals.
>>
>>43506510
The fuck are you smoking? The game is easy to get into and immensely nuanced as you have actual objectives to achieve other than going all murderhobo on your opponent. There are crews that can be OP in some instances that can go all game without dealing any damage to enemy models.
>>
My roommate and I were thinking of getting into it. We plan to pick up the starter box. Any suggesting for new players/ master suggestions?
>>
File: almostreddy.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
almostreddy.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>43506351
>Why the fuck are your minis so stupid hard to put together compared to everyone elses?

>That feeling when you just spent whole evening building 2 player set and you are 7/8 done
>That feeling when you screwed up gluing angel eyes and now model is in freezer in hopes that it would help break the glue
>That feeling when you have no idea if that will actually work but anon from WIP said it would

There were few quite finicky feets and arms in that box and slim orderly feet were insane pain to fit.
>>
>Have 2 Arcanist crews and extras to put together, so I can start playing
>Nowhere to keep WIP stuff that the 2 year-old niece won't get into

>>43506351
I know the previous producers they had for their miniatures were pretty crappy. The newer sculpts aren't anywhere as bad, though you still get stuff like one of Hamelin's rats coming in 4 pieces, or Abuela Ortega's separate pipe piece.

>>43506510
Cool story, bro.

>>43507029
And sadly, that's one of the easier boxes to put together.
>>
>>43506328
It's pretty dead here roo. Though that's because wyrrd killed it when they updated the core rules too another edition and then didn't update every faction for about a year. So we all pretty much unanimously dropped it.
>>
>>43507335
>Nowhere to keep WIP stuff that the 2 year-old niece won't get into

I keep my wip stuff away from my daughter by just putting the whole cutting mat I work on in a plastic tub that goes ontop of a high shelf.
>>
>>43507335
>And sadly, that's one of the easier boxes to put together.
Well at least I can hide behind the fact that I am complete newb this being my first box I have built.
I hope that I can either salvage this by slight carving that I can fit other leg in or try to get it of with careful use of glue solvent.
>>
>>43507501
That'd work, but I don't have a free high shelf to use. Most of the closets are filled with stuff and the bookshelves are full of my brother-in-laws board game collection. One of these days, I'll get around to clearing out some of the junk that clutters the house. There's an entire shelf in the closet filled with old sheets that need to be sorted through and tossed.
>>
>>43505867
No, people just don't talk about it because it's a shitty 40k clone down to the themes.
>>
>>43507777
You missed the Warmahordes general.
>>
>>43506351
Because they...fuck, i have no idea. I would gladly go back to the metals if given a chance.
>>
>>43507029
It's unlikely that plastic cement will "break", it's melting the pieces together unlike superglue.
>>
>>43505867
What's a Malifaux?

Some kinda tyranid?
>>
File: Notice how the left leg is.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Notice how the left leg is.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>43508734
>It's unlikely that plastic cement will "break", it's melting the pieces together unlike superglue.
It was superglue and as a final result after separating with knight followed mutilating and carving the leg pieces I have finally gotten the bloody thing built.
Now some greenstuff to smooth the carving marks before sparaying the base and everything is pancakes
>>
>>43506826

Lilith fits nicely into the Neverborn side without much of a hassle

Guild you could pick pretty any master minus Hoffman and have them run fine.
>>
>>43506290

>For discussion though, as a Neverborn player is there anything I should be looking to grab from the Crossroads book?

What do you have?
>>
File: 1410264261575.png (2 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1410264261575.png
2 MB, 1680x1050
>>43506351
>Why the fuck are your minis so stupid hard to put together compared to everyone elses?
>>
>>43509125
Kek
>>
>>43505867

The system is just bad man. I can't explain it, but something about is just too convoluted to deal with or teach,

I've got experience in 40k, fantasy, warmahordes, battletech, MERCS, and infinity off the top of my head. All of them are easier to play and understand than malifaux. Which is a pity because I like the design.

But yeah, live in a large city, it had a slight jump, then everyone pretty much said the system was shit and dropped it.
>>
File: bear-bag-2-147.jpg (17 KB, 450x327) Image search: [Google]
bear-bag-2-147.jpg
17 KB, 450x327
>>43507723
have you considered a bear bags Anon
>>
Longtime diehard 40k player here finally willing to maybe look into some alternatives.

Sell me on this game, I've heard good things. Not just on the rules but also show me cool looking models and background fluff.

Also in your honest opinions, what are the flaws with this game?
>>
>>43509851

I'm primarily a Dreamer player although I do also use Pandora, I own the Lilith and Zoraida models and I have but haven't ever used the Lucius box. Haven't bought anything new in quite some time due to moving to a new area away from players. I own absolutely nothing new from Crossroads.

>>43515093

The fluff includes a 10-year-old kid from Earth who has a wonderful imagination and has dreams of playing with his magical friends.
Little does he know that his dreams warp reality in Malifaux and his "friends" are nightmarish demons who hang around him to piggyback on his unconscious powers and wreak havoc in Malifaux. The cheerful figures laughing, running and trying to hide in his dreams are really innocent people fighting desperately for their lives.
My main beef is with the rules for elevation (they don't make fucking sense) and the art direction of some of the new plastics (look up old metal Nekima vs the new plastic).
>>
>>43514699
Oh fuck off mate, they have so many unnecessarily tiny bits or wierd cuts it has to be their modelmaker not knowing how to cut 3D renders properly.
>>
>>43515311
The Effigy has a few nice tricks for the Dreamer; it can give him a 3" push after he's been attacked. The Widow Weaver likes the Insidious Horrors, which the Dreamer can summon with the right upgrade, same goes for the Stitched Togethers. Stitched Togethers are pretty great, no matter the master, and Insidious Madness are good with Pandora. The Lelu and Liltu are also good to include, the Lelu can heal itself pretty well after being summoned, especially if you get the trigger to prevent it from being slowed after summoning.

Unfortunately, only the Effigy and Widow Weaver has 2nd ed. models, we're waiting on everything else.
>>
File: GEDC1664.jpg (247 KB, 1195x1523) Image search: [Google]
GEDC1664.jpg
247 KB, 1195x1523
Any suggestions on how to get people back into Malifaux? There's about 8 people with decent sized crews in town but since the old LFG closed and 2ed came out there's only been a few games played between people and no tournaments run, specially since our local Henchman lost his status.

Any suggestions? I've personally gotten people their updated cards and given people digital copies of the rulebook. My next idea would to be setting up a relaxed tournament, no entry fee and no prizes, to force people to get some games in without too much pressure.

I had been working on making The Hanging Tree, it's huge and weighs over 7lbs but I need to finish the bark texture and attach the tree to the base.
>>
>>43517075
Use the figures to play Mordheim. Problem solved.
>>
>>43517104
actually there's been talk of people using their fantasy armies to play Mordheim, or Cordheim since that gets updates.
>>
>>43517075
Try luring them in with the campaign rules in the newest book.
>>
>>43517104
Well, the problem is, mordheim is an unbalanced shitty GW game that's running purely on nostalgia and the fact that back in the day there was no real alternative.
>>
>>43515093
It is balanced in the faction and list building. You'll build a list based on missions so you'll never lose a game from the beginning.
All miniature are independant and strangly are each a unique snowflake leading to a flexible and everchanging game.
The missions are variad, you have kills, one is tricking your foes into killing one of your models, another is keeping your foes minions alive. (Both can choose 2 of these from a shared pool of 5)
Many different playstyle are possible: Summoners of all kinds and rats, shooty soldiers or hillbilly, melee beast and female swordsmen, crews of dancers and spirits who won't attack directly if they can.
Cards system who can create a semblence of balance.
Humourous abilities: Lawyers attack ability is objection and they slap you with fees, a chick has the ability to dodge all guns by virtue of having a hole in her stomach.
A strange mix of gothic horror, western and cheek-in-tongue. Hillbilly gremlins, monks of the fermented river next to monks bashing people faces in with fire, nightmare beings, cannibalistic cults.
Now the bads part:
Some shit model assembly.
Wide range of models and abilities can be exhausting if you can't read english well.
Low player count.
Due to the tactical flexibility game can be tense.
While I usually win against my mate playing a summoner realizing that each guy killed with blood and sweat can be dishearting. (Summoners are in no means unbalanced but you need to realize fighting might be hopeless)
>>
>>43517716
Also check ojt the henchman system
>>43517075
Become a henchman yourself.
It can help new people find a starting place and you deserve to be rewarded. (Can use the reward to buy tournament prizes)
Also explain how much better 2ed is rulewise.
>>
>>43506510
That sounds pretty harsh.
Care to actually explain?
>>
>>43517907
Shitposter gotta shitpost.
>>
>>43517716
What about customizability?
Are models fixed pose fixed loadout?
>>
>>43518127
Fixed pose, but models can take various upgrades or abilities.
>>
>>43518127
Yes. There's upgrade cards you can attach to some models, but it's a game that's very much about the narrative- the only un-named models are the absolute cannon fodder grunts. Everyone else has names, history and specific look. There's nothing really stopping you from converting, but if you're looking for an easy "swap bits around and call it conversion" experience like 40k kits, it's not going to happen. A handful of models has some head or weapon options, but very limited.
>>
I have Leveticus, Tara, Jack Daw and McMourning.
I cant paint worth shit, i cant assemble worth shit and Jack Daw's Guilty come in two 16 parters and one TWENTY FIVE PIECE MODEL.

I lose every game, but win every initiative flip.
Seriously, I'll go five games in a row without one initiative loss, it is all in the wrist.
>>
>>43518127
Upgrades themselves don't have different appearances, so it doesn't matter how you assemble the model really.
>>
>>43518206
>>43518175
Ah, feared that, mainly a modeller so games where hacksaw and brute force conversions were the sole customization never appealed to me.
>>
>>43518234
It's plastic, you hardly need a hacksaw for it. And in all fairness, I'd rather have good models to paint right from the start than have to hack at them to make them good.
>>
>>43518199
Steam Trunk and Necrotic Machine are ~35 parts each and both small models on 30mm bases. What the fuck, Wyrd.

Still, I find the assembly of MFX models relaxing. The plastic's easy to clean, mold lines are tiny to non-existent (well, I had a few exceptions), they go well with plastic glue (one with a thin applicator needle is a must though). I thought these were horrible at first too but it just takes getting used to different stuff. Recently I got a box of 40k marines to paint and holy fuck are they clunky and terrible in comparison.
>>
>>43505867
never heard of it.
there's your problem.
>>
>>43518199

Leviticus and Tara are really weird masters that take a lot of finesse to play properly, so you might need a lot of practice before they start to work.

I can't say much about Daw, but I play McMourning a lot. If you can remember what issues you have with him and what models you happen to use I might be able to help.
>>
>>43505867
Overwhelming majority of /tg/ is casual as fuck. 40k, D&D and Pathfinder as the edgiest of edgy games. They're neither interested nor willing to expand beyond that.
>>
>>43518371

Well shit, I was planning on getting Molly at some point since she looked like fun and I need Crooligans for my Ressers and Hamelin, so I guess I'll need to steel myself for that.
>>
>>43518990

Captcha doesn't seem to like direct links to the site, but "gmortis chaotica" has unboxings for most Malifaux crews.

Pretty handy for knowing what you're getting into, model-wise.
>>
>>43519066

I'll look them up sometime.

I should be fine after dealing with Gremlins.
>>
>>43506351
Picked up the Yan lo box not too long ago. Holy shit motherfuckers beard is its own piece. And the girls ponytail too. I didnt even bother with one of the three ashigaru. Just tossed him straight into the bits box.
>>
>>43519286

You'll never need that many Ashigaru anyway unless you go summon crazy with Toshiro.
>>
>>43519079
He tends to post on the Wyrd faction forums whenever he does a new set, so he's not hard to find. And he does a nice job showing off the model, since he does a straight assemble without gap filling and such, so you know what you're going to end up with and what to look out for to fix.
>>
I wanted to pick up the Lucien and Molly box so I could have two crews if someone without one wants to play. What models should I get to expand on those? I am not very familiar with the rules
>>
>>43519842

Lucius depends if you're wanting to run him Neverborn or Guild. The two player starter set isn't a bad idea for him, since he can use one side naturally and merc hire pieces from the other. Guild for guild Pathfinders, Riflemen, and Austringers are nice. Neverborn I'm a bit less experienced with, but Terror Tots and Young Nephilim get some work done along with Waldgeists.

Molly depends on whether you want to run her with spirits or horrors. Horrors would probably be easier, though I hear Spirit Molly plays better. You'll want some Belles for both, so the Seamus box would be a solid addition for them and Sybelle. For the rest check her Pully My Finger page, since there's a lot you an do with her.

https://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/M2E+Molly+Squiddpidge
>>
>>43519915
Thanks for the advice. I wanted to run Lucien as Neverborn, and horrors in Molly's case. I will look at the models you recommended.
>>
>>43519992
For Lucius in neverborn you probably want some Illuminated. They're some of the best minions in the game and Lucius loves his minions.

The Illuminated are in the Jacob Lynch box.
>>
>>43520122
Don't forget about the Beckoners.
>>
>>43507029
I wanna get that box and put the guild part together with McMourning to have a doctor crew
>>
>>43507777
It literaly has nothing in common with 40k. Maybe Mordheim, but definetly not 40k. I think you mistook it for Warmachine
>>
>>43506510
Thats a literal shitpost
>>
>>43525927

>activate McMourning
>give Grimwell Precise, then Inject him into an enemy model
>activate Grimwell
>Focus followed by Lobotomize

I could see that working pretty well.
>>
>>43515093
Zombie hookers
>>
>>43520122
Illuminated are several levels of awesome. They work even better with Jacob Lynch
>>
>>43525987
Grimwell is Nimble, not swift. Can't focus with the Nimble AP.
>>
>>43526598

Oh shit, my bad. I thought he had the extra AP variant that granted extra melee AP.
>>
Is Misaki + Sensei Yu as entertaining as it looks?

I really like the idea of all those silly movement shenanigans with Stalk + Disciple + Airburst

Aside from that, what's a good place to expand from the Misaki crew?
>>
Anyone have the RPG pdf?
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.