[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40k RPG General: Shit just won't die Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: 1441742331134.jpg (9 KB, 345x146) Image search: [Google]
1441742331134.jpg
9 KB, 345x146
For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.

Book Repositories (mega is more comprehensive and up to date)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/z7zgas8lm1cw2#mk26o8f7w9uxm

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armour and NPCs/adverseries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v5.43.150418), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Not updated with any DH2 content.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.5.1), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kpl4pvkdiidvg6n/Fear_and_Loathing.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/nf19t1z8p2prwrx/The_Fringe_is_Yours.pdf

Remember, ask a specific question, we'll be happy to help. But if you're vague, we'll tell you to make your players fight necrons. Probably.

I've been looking over the Fear and Loathing, and The Fringe is Yours books and I thought the character creation is actually pretty balanced. Has anyone tried to make a Tau or Necron in their game? How did it pan out?
>>
>>43499765
there was exelion, or however you spell it, which was tau/deldar which seemed to work. Necrons i didnt even bother looking through since i doubt i'll ever get a group able to play them well.

Lore question-If the eastern fringe is Astronomicon-free, are all warp jumps done via calculations, or can a sufficiently skilled navigator travel a few hundred lightyears from system to system? Basically, can my homebrew sector on the fringe function well enough to have 3 millennia old settlements?
>>
File: 1208034508603.jpg (27 KB, 300x342) Image search: [Google]
1208034508603.jpg
27 KB, 300x342
Fuck yeah, new thread.
Tell me about derps your group had done.
Mine, being Ordo Malleus cell headed by the inquisitor disregarded a daemon which tried to kill them for the sake of retrieving some documents from a noble's mansion, mission impossible style.
We left the subsector after the heist and have completely forgotten about daemon on the loose up until now
>>
>>43499990
The rogue Trader thought that, after going through most of a sector's biggest and baddest in order to snatch a (mindwiped) Man of Iron before anyone else did, the best course of action was to give his prize to the Mechanicus in return for an archeotech plasma drive, rather than keep the thing which was perfectly capable of tearing through necrodermis with its bear hands. Of course, it ended up with Chaos snatching the thing from the cogs and became the BBEG, but he was damn proud of his plasma drive and thought it was a good swap
>>
File: 1396824355525.jpg (80 KB, 600x573) Image search: [Google]
1396824355525.jpg
80 KB, 600x573
>>43499990
>Ordo Malleus cell headed by the inquisitor disregarded a daemon which tried to kill them for the sake of
>the inquisitor disregarded a daemon
>disregarded a daemon
>disregarded
>a
>daemon

This much heresy.
>>
>>43499891
Fuck off Shill.

You just posted this on at least three other threads without any reason. Get your normie-loving SJW-shilling bullshit out of /tg/.
>>
>>43499990
my group released a greater daemon on a moon by killing the alpha+ psyker used as a seal on it's prison, who incidentally was also the person they were tasked with protecting.
>>
File: image.gif (212 KB, 525x525) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
212 KB, 525x525
>>43499990
>>
>>43500054
We're not very clever people. Apart from our invest inquisitor, of course, he's brilliant and amazing ow ouch nooo not the beatings again

Truth to be told, we were so busy high-giving each other after the successful run and going through the evidence we found when one of the noble heirs decided to leg it, we immediately went after him.
I think it's been well over a month since the event
>>
Anyone have interesting homebrew Perils tables? Actually, any tables are fine no matter how bullshit they might be. Thanks in advance.
>>43500054
>Gyrojet i.e mini rockets
>spent shells
This won't ever stop fucking with my mind.
>>43499990
We... uh... well. Play online, and there suddenly happens to be a nifty little field called "Infamy" on the Navigator's sheet. WHOOPS.
>>
Is holstering a weapon during combat a half action or a full one in DH2?

>>43500131
He has posted the same paste 41 times. Just ignore it or report maybe both
>>
>>43500288
Ready is a half action. Quick draw should work both ways I think, although I personally drop weapons I cannot reload in combat
>>
>>43500288
>Is holstering a weapon during combat a half action or a full one in DH2?
Half unless the GM is feeling like being a tit.
>>43500238
induring the entire group gets ascended while Tzeentch golf-claps.
>>
>>43500311
>>43500345
Thanks!
>>
>>43499990
The most spectacular was when they accidentally caused a mutiny on a ship, leading to a warp accident that careened the ship back into real space over Dusk, where it crashed about 10 years before the main campaign.
>>
has anyone got a scan of the Dark Heresy 2nd edition GM screen?
>>
>>43500131
>taking the b8
>>
Nothing derpy so far, I have to say they've handled pretty well the restrictive ROEs and the delicate situation I've put them in, we'll see how they'll handle the next warzone since this one is coming to a close.
>>
>>43500283
>>Gyrojet i.e mini rockets
>>spent shells
It's my headcanon that bolt weapons are multi-stage weapons that use a conventional gunpowder-and-shell launch to get up to speed, then the rocket engine kicks in once they're away from the barrel.
>>
Is there a name generator or a name list I can use to come up with a name for a Catachan character for an upcoming event?
>>
>>43500806
http://www.malleus.dk/Ordo/NameGenerator.aspx

But really, catachans are just rambo/muhreens in space, you can have italian/international sounding names. One catachan guy in a book was called Lorenzo
>>
>>43500915
Thanks!
>>
>>43500975
You're welcome. Hiver names apparently take from a pool of italian names so that might be up your alley if you're going for that.
>>
Anyone can recommend good upbeat vehicle chase music?
I swear I've heard something I'm after in some movie, I think it was instrumental banjo track which really helped to set the mood
>>
>>43499765
Anybody got a scan of Enemies Without yet?
>>
>>43500283

the casing is very likely for a kicker charge that gives the bolt speed before ignition of the internal engine
>>
>>43501342
Yes
>>
I have 2 questions:
1. In DH2e, if you burn a fate point due to injury, do you still have the rider effects that come along with it if there is a "Test or Die" effect?
My issue came up when I lost a leg and failed the toughness test to not die immediately. I burnt a fate point, but the GM had me still suffering blood loss, which ended up killing me AGAIN.
2. Is combat supposed to be run similar to say, WoD, which all actions being declared at the start of the round, locked in, then rolled/played out per initiative?
3. Is there any way to purchase more aptitudes as the game goes on?
>>
>>43501399
Mind sharing?
>>
File: fan cell.jpg (493 KB, 1500x2000) Image search: [Google]
fan cell.jpg
493 KB, 1500x2000
Is there any way to make a character who specializes in unarmed combat viable?
My group wants to make a Rogue Trader party made up entirely of thinly-disguised cartoon characters, and I wanted to make an Explorator who mostly uses unarmed attacks, has a utility mechadendrite on his back that he can stab people with, and is constantly trying to upgrade himself to achieve his "perfect form".
>>
>>43501481
1 your dm is a fucknugget. Please quote this post to him for me. Burning FP saves you from death end of story. Imagine being stranded underwater and having to burn fps every few rounds. There wad actually elaboration in one of the books which explained how exactly this works, with a similar situation given as an example. Textbook outcome would be you surviving, but losing the leg.
2. No, read the book.
3. No, read the book
>>
>>43501536
Different anon.
Answer >>43501481.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/l7lem6jxxnl6nu2/Enemies+Without.pdf
>>
>>43501580
Unarmed combat talents should get your hands to the level of a sword, don't know if there's cybernetic stuff to buff that
>>
>>43501536
Sure thing, my friend.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/l7lem6jxxnl6nu2/Enemies+Without.pdf
>>
>>43501583
>2. No, read the book.
The game makes little sense being run piecemeal like D&D, especially since certain actions outright cost you actions, like losing your reaction with an all out attack not even being of issue, considering most battles end within 2 rounds, if you are at the bottom of the initiative, allowing you to have your cake and eat it too.
>>
>>43501592
>>43501607
Thanks a lot!
>>
>>43499990
How much influence loss would this incur?

Bearing in mind the Inquisitor told a number of Marshalls that he'd deal with it, and then didn't.
>>
>>43502076
I think we should get bonus to both subtlety and influence because everyone realised how badass we are, not being afraid of the daemon, making our contacts respect us more, right guys? Right?
>>
>>43500434
Yup
>>
>>43502270
Thanks!
>>
>>43502076
If this isn't a reason to roll up a new character for the inquisitor, then I don't know what is. Entire planetary populations burned for less.
At a minimum I would send either fellow Inquisitors or Inquisitor Lord after him since on the reports it looks as if he simply abandoned the planet and failed in his duty. Remember, neglect and incompletence are crimes in the eyes of the imperial law.
>>
>>43499990
They went INQUISITION FUCK YEAH on a mining world and brought the entire world to a halt in an attempt to catch a single man. Said world now has to pull triple shifts to continue to meet their tithe, which just so happens to be materials to produce tanks at the forge world the next system over.
>>
>>43501635
you lose the reaction from the all out attack onwards to your next turn. It's perfectely sensible: Once you hit hard, you are exposed until you can do something else. what's the problem?

>you can the cake and eat it too!
oh no.

>most battles end in two rounds!
do they though
>>
>>43499990

>Acolytes got ordered to investigate rumours of strange activity in small town on an agri-world in the ass end of the sector
>first thing they do once arrived, fairly late in the evening: party splits
>sororitas walks through town in full regalia and asks people if they've seen anything odd, is surprised when people are nervous about answering
>the assassin heads off to break into the local brewery for alcohol before heading back to their temporary lodgings and getting blackout drunk
>psyker goes poking around the local church, ends up kidnapped by the cult in the place when they catch him in a dark alley, and is found the next morning nailed to the church door, still alive
>>
>>43503346
i like your group
>>
>>43503370

They're perfect =][= material, really.
>>
>>43503346

but wait there's more

>they take the psyker down, sororitas carries him off to their temporary lodgings, still in full power armour while assassin looks threateningly at everyone
>everyone fails the Awareness check to notice people following them through the (very sparse) crowds
>arrive at lodgings, march inside, drop psyker in bed
>sororitas grabs first aid kit, uses basic first aid skills to treat psyker's wounds
>he's still unable to hold much of anything and barely capable of walking under his own power
>psyker safe, time for party to Investigateâ„¢
>assassin goes off to "investigate"
>in reality, he goes to the brewery again and threatens the owner with a bolt pistol for his personal stock
>sororitas goes out and does the same routine again, still wonders why people are nervous
>accidentally stumble on three robed people sneaking into the back door of a warehouse
>vox assassin for backup
>he arrives, chugging amasec as he goes and waving a bolt pistol in the air
>"okay so I saw some cultists sneak into this warehouse. Let's flush them out and see what we find. Got any grenades?"
>toss in grenades, charge in guns blazing
>realize all three are dead, upon inspection they were just some local teenagers playing cards and drinking
>go outside, look towards temporary lodgings, see thick black smoke rising from it
>run for it towards lodgings
>come there in time to see townspeople arranging a bucket chain to throw sand on the fire
>fire is soon extinguished, but the building is a loss as well as most of their gear
>there's no corpse inside, psyker is not outside either
>they're shocked, where's the psyker
>they left a crippled psyker behind in a place where the entire town knows they live by now, are shocked there were consequences
>>
>>43503110
HEY! we are doing better now. As head of team INQUISITION FUCK YEAH i will repent later, gotta purge these mutants first though maybe, or the admin for messing with the stations functionality.

Also for the first time in a long time All Sisters Party didn't end with the GM holding his head in his hands.
>>
>>43503961
wow, I'm baffled.
curious about one thing though - is the sororitas an actual grill in your group? From my experience, grills actually hate SoBs.
>>
>>43504192

nah, the player behind the sororitas is male
>>
My rt party has been running a "crusade" and are trying to see if they can get some help from necrona but are also trying to get help from eldar not to mention this is all happening while they are getting major funding from the admech and support from the esscilary
>>
>>43501607
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/l7lem6jxxnl6nu2/Enemies+Without.pdf
are there any coppies of it with the tyranid rukes included?
>>
>>43504570
There aren't any in the book apparently, so no.
>>
>>43504615
There's a Genestealer and a Broodlord, but they have different names as they're the only tyranid lifeform in Askellon.
>>
>>43504744
>as they're the only tyranid lifeform in Askellon.
Well, no shit Sherlock, Askellon is in the fuck-end of Obscurus, quite literally on the opposite side of the galaxy from the Tyranid fleet, unless a splinter fleet from Leviathan took one hell of a detour just to ruin your party's day.
>>
how dangerous can you make a human NPC armed with nothing but (and namely with) a laspistol?
>>
File: 6333905242_56f0074677_o.jpg (1 MB, 1985x1834) Image search: [Google]
6333905242_56f0074677_o.jpg
1 MB, 1985x1834
Very interesting session today.

>Psyker mediates, Priest rubs the blood and spinal fluid off of his armor.
>Assasin/hunter duo help the bartender clean up from last nights drinking, make a few coins from rifling through pockets.
>Hunter meets their guide for the outside, named Hans
"Oh yah darling we'll be on the way soo ja!"
>lead outside, two armed med with them
>a cart with a not! tauntaun attatched to it
>according to the players, it looks like a furry ostrich with a gorilla head and T-rex arms
>They make their way over to the gate, and are let out early in the morning to avoid the peasant swarms and leave the underground city into the pitch-black caverns
>Hans gives them a few survival tips, like which mushrooms are edible, which make great vodka and which paralyses you.
>Assasin collects every single edible shroom he finds, Hans laughs and promises to make some nice cave tea with it

>Arrive at a small village/outpost, stone houses, a riverside fishing place and a place to farm
>hans talk with one of the people, packages are exchanged and they continue
>everyone is tired so they set up camp
>hans and the priest go to cut a large shroom down for food and fuel for the fire
>assasin and hunter go exploring and psyker mediates some more
>Priest and hans efficiently chop down a large shroom, hans skins it and takes the solid inside and drags it off for fuel
>Assasin and hunter tie a rope as not to get lost in the pitch black
>Assasin sees another mushroom, tall, green and coarse
>touches it anyway
>gets pricked, passes out
>hunter's photo-lenses pick up two dots next to eachother
>eyes
>snake like body, long blade arms
>essentially a tiny hydralisk
>hunter dodges the first attack, he hits its right arm
>trips on the rope attached to the passed-out assasin
>continues to fire, eventually hits it in the soft gut
>entrails spill out, she drags it back to the camp
>Hans makes some cave tea with the collected mushrooms and cooks the beast, now known as a Skrak
>>
>>43505367
If you want a deadlier laspistol, IMO it's hard to go wrong with putting a daemon in it. Same goes for any and every weapon you wield.
>>
>>43505469
>If you want a deadlier laspistol, IMO it's hard to go wrong with putting a daemon in it. Same goes for any and every weapon you wield.
Ignore Dark Mechanicum Posters.

Report Dark Mechanicum Posters.

Do not reply to Dark Mechanicum Posts.
>>
>>43505367
Depends on if he's a mook or he's supposed to be some noteworthy BEG, if he's a mook he can take a laspistol and shoot 2 shots at point blank in overload mode, if he's more important you'll have to give him talents
>>
>>43505367
Stealth and booby traps
>>
How compatible are all the game books?
>>
>>43506050

they're... compatible, and there's guidelines for how to use the previous books in each book

but they aren't exactly balanced between each other
>>
>>43506132
How bad are they borked balance wise? We just finished a three year long WoD game and we're looking to move into something new. We've all been rather interested in Warhammer but couldn't afford to get into the Wargame.

I lucikly don't have anyone in the group who min maxes or such.
>>
>>43506241
Really, very few of the gamelines directly overlap in such a way that you could get a party going. If you want an Only War guardsman in your Dark heresy party, why not use the guardsman career or Warrior role? Most of the newer books also offer an up-to-date statting of older characters as well. So very few people use enemies as statted in Deathwatch because Only War or Black Crusade statted them using the newer crunch and it's a bit easier to use.
>>
>>43506370
Let's say I wanted to start an Only War campaign, with the survivors of the campaign moving their character overs to Dark Heresy. Forgive me if this isn't how it works, I don't know a huge amount of 40k beyond what is on 1d4chan and unfortunately TV Tropes.
>>
>>43506435
with DH 2e it's possible, albeit a REAL hassle, since the whole class building is different. with DH 1e it's completely impossible.
>>
>>43506435
So you want an Only War mini-campaign that ends with the players getting recruited into the Inquisition (Dark Heresy)?

That's certainly workable, though there may be issues in how a DH cell handle things when they were all previously guardsmen. DH tends to ask for a bit more investigation and subtlety though you can absolutely still be a Guardsman Cell.
>>
>>43506503
Is there such thing as Multiclassing in the 40k line?
>>
>>43506522

To a degree, yes. At every 2500xp spent, you can choose to move into a specialization career for your original career, and thus switching to the advancement tables/aptitudes for that career instead.
>>
>>43506522
Not really. I'd advise you use Dark Heresy 2nd edition (the latest book line FFG are doing). It features a loose class-based system, where players are given aptitudes (things they're good at), possession of certain aptitudes can make purchasing upgrades relevant to them cheaper (A shooty aptitude makes buying shooty stuff cheaper), anything outside of that is more expensive but still obtainable.

In DH1, you have strict career trees and you can only buy certain things at certain tiers. However, at certain XP levels you could 'multiclass' and take a level in an alternate career, a fluffy little diversion that can make your character a mind-wiped reprogrammable slave or a more militant cleric. It unlocks an alternate career rank, and only that. You can never afford to buy everything in this rank, so you have to be careful.
>>
>>43506435
fuck this shit, give them the same names, CP/IP and accumulated XP. Have them duplicate the talents, taking some as elite advances.
I don't understand why faggots keep whining it's do difficult.
Proceed with DH1 (you're not a a faget right? it's 2015) and enjoy large collection of awesome splatbooks.
Live a happy, fulfilled life.
???
profit
>>
File: 1446591498093.jpg (101 KB, 640x558) Image search: [Google]
1446591498093.jpg
101 KB, 640x558
>>43506739
All this did was confuse me.
>>
Today, I witnessed our Baneblade firing its main canon against Orks, with the shell adopting a wierd trajectory.
I remember I heard the Commissar insult Jimmy in a few dozen languages when the shell landed back on the Baneblade and blew it up.
Worst thing is, it was during a training session.
>>
File: explodingknees.png (265 KB, 336x700) Image search: [Google]
explodingknees.png
265 KB, 336x700
>>43507255
Okay, so you get your PC #1. Let's call him Faggio.
We take a look at his character sheet, write down number of accumulated C&I Points, XP and talents.
We get Faggio to keep his name, appearance, scars, background and dramatic personae.
Now, we open the core rulebook.

So, you're at 10000 XP? Pick any of the three relevant careers from Guardsman career path tree.

Then we get Faggio re-purchase his current talents on best effort basis, with talents/skills outside of advancement tables threated as elite advances.
Bam, you have a rough approximate in the DH. It's quick and dirty and not 100% precise and correct, but why would you care? Are you a German? No one likes Germans, don't get pedantic, it's 2015.
>proceed to picrelated
>great success
>high fives all around
>>
>>43507678

>baneblade blew itself up
>firing at orks

Are you quite sure it wasn't being fired BY orks, Guardsman?
>>
>>43499876
Navigators can jump without the Astronomicon but it is extremely difficult. Without the Astronomicon, I believe the jump starts at Hellish (-60) before factoring in conditions of the Warp, known coordinates or distance. Look in Navis Primer or Into The Storm for greater detail, I think.
>>
>>43505536
The Dark Mechanicum did nothing wrong.
>>
>>43501260
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ
you're welcome
>>
>>43508823
>The Dark Mechanicum did nothing wrong.
They did nothing.
For thirty. Thousand. Years. Their biggest advancement is SPIDERBOT xDDDD.

Meanwhile the AdMechs are kinda bad a their shit, but they DO make things. Q'Sal (Q'shal) > Darkmechs.
>>
>>43501260
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdxlA8UoNB0
>>
>>43508859
>For thirty. Thousand. Years. Their biggest advancement is SPIDERBOT xDDDD.
>implying spiderbot isn't the greatest thing ever
Ignore AdMech Posters.

Report AdMech Posters.

Do not reply to AdMech Posts.
>>
On a scale of 1-100, with 1 being a minor gang of underhive hoodrats, 10 being a squad of guards, 25 being a imperial guard regiment, 50 being a spess muhreen/inquisitor, 75 being a chapter master/lord inquisitor and 100 being Abby/Vect/Calgar, how important is your group in-setting?
>>
>>43511611

I'd probably say 85 but that's mostly self-importance because Rogue Trader.
>>
>>43511611
About... 65?
They're a weaker Rogue Trader House, but by the Emperor, they know EVERYONE.
>>
I want to get into DH. Do I buy second or first edition?
>>
>>43513814
Read both, then buy the one you like.

Both have their pros and cons.
>>
>>43513814
you download the rulebooks for both from the OP, read both and make a judgement. It depends on if you like classes or not, mostly-2e is much less class-strict than 1e. Also, 1e has tons and tons of splats
>>
>>43513894
If you don't mind, do you happen to have a small list of the pros and cons of each?
>>
>>43513918
>1e
The system is at its most basic, item rarity is capped too early, no guide on handing out money and item costs are bused.
Homeworlds and careers are frequently unbalanced, and experience may be too hard to come across. AFAIK they didn't have rules for elite advances, so if you want a skill from outside of your career (class) then tough shit.
However this is mitigated by alternate ranks, which are awesome, and offer unique talents, abilities and skills which you couldn't get otherwise.
It works, it's functional, but it doesn't draw to the GM's attention as much the importance of modifiers to skill test, leading to situations, where there's likely a 30% or so chance of success
Psychic powers will KILL YOU DEAD AND ALL YOUR FRIENDS, YOUR FAMILY, YOUR DOG, AND YOUR ENTIRE WAY OF LIFE WILL BE DESTROYED FOREVER.

>2e
Cleaned up the skills a lot, consolidated them a lot
Talents are also cleaner.
Basically it's a refinement in terms of the effectiveness of the combat, skills and talents section born from years of progressive retuning the same system.
Problem being the advancement system is shit.
You're forced at character creation to define what you want to do for the rest of the game (without yet a way to change this) you get some discounted skills and others that are more expensive.
This leads to situations where characters would be dissuaded from taking "role-thematic" skills, like tactical knowledge for a soldier, for the simple reason that you don't have the "aptitudes" and you'll pay out the nose for it.
Psychic powers are a LOT more stable, however somewhat less variety and they don't have quite as much power and "weird-ness". They're more like super-powers than "I'm not using Sorcery, honest".
Have vehicle rules in the core, which is nice.
Replaced coin-counting with an abstracted representation of your influence in the Galaxy and how you use it to purchase stuff. Both good, and in some cases horrendously bad (like less important purchases).
>>
>>43514079
Also they decided to introduce rules for how over you're being, and how that ties into social interactions tests and... Bleurgh.

It's utter shit and puts even more shit on the GM's plate. However it ties into talents and skills and stuff that they wrote into the book, so it feels like you're cutting out some decent shit when you take it out.

If you can stomach it though? Go for it.
It really just feels like they included it so they could go "look, we have a fancy new mechanic, isn't it great?"

A lot of people dislike it because they consider it another rehash of the same system that's been hocked like 6 times now, plus they didn't change it much from its last iteration with Only War. Which on the whole was a much, MUCH better use of the system.
>>
>>43514079
>>43514130
this is honestly a better representation than i could give.

The other things to keep in mind is that A) DH1e has tons and tons more actual content in its years of splats, and B) Only War and RT are both equally valid 40k RPGS compared to either DH. I'd avoid deathwatch or black crusade until you become better acquainted with the system
>>
>>43514130
That should have been "overt".
Also their pre-made adventure stuff really seems to presume and even expect that you're going to be subtle.

Which kinda fucks with the players if they want to go full "repent, motherfuckers" mode and kick down door, burning heretics to death with flamers and rending them in twain with chainswords.
>>
Whats a good shuttlecraft to give a Rogue Trader at campaign's start? The standard Aquila/Arvus? a Marauder? Guncutter?
>>
>>43514343
Give? Arvus.
>>
>>43514343
At campaign start I let them have one tenth of their ship's space value rounded down in reasonable small craft
>>
>>43502270
I did not know this existed. Thank you based anon.
>>
>>43502270
The fatigue section on this is almost completely wrong.
>>
>>43516233
There's nothing wrong with it. They just changed how fatigue worked in DH2e.
>>
>>43516280
Fatigue doesn't cause a -10 to all tests in 2e.

It also doesn't use the errata for fatigue threshold.
>>
>>43514130
As a GM, I don't mind the Rep/Subtlety system, as I'm used to doing something like that already in my WoD games.
Granted, if you are coming from D&D or something that has less hostile social situations built in, it can seem out of place.
>>
>>43511611
10, duh
>>
>>43517172
I have some experience with the 40K RPGs, however maybe my experience has been influenced by my players.

Not a single one of them cared for it... In fact, they didn't care for a lot of the stuff I did... I need to find new players.
>>
>>43517190
Your problem is the players are shit, not the game.
May as well complain that they are murderhobos.
>>
>>43517172
Indeed, I quite like the Subtlety mechanic. It's good to have a mechanical system to use that is adaptable to the players playstyle. As they get louder and less subtle, they find the game inevitably becomes more about what they want it to be. The Heretics may come gunning for them, Arbites and Marshalls are coughing up guns and supplies like they're going out of fashion to help in their purges. Likewise, if they're playing like they're east of the berlin wall, they're in for a fantastic game of espionage and sabotage but you can bet no-one will believe them if the Acolytes find out they're in over their heads and need bigger guns.

It all depends on the GM as well!
>>
>>43499990
As a member of the Deathwatch. I singlehandedly converted an Ork to the Imperial Creed, and then said ork vanished, only to become the single stongest Boss of Orkz in the Jericho reach that fights in the name of the Emperor, with the largest WAAAGH with ships all models after Imperial designs. And my Kill Team as Arch angles in their religion serving directly under the Emperor.

We're currently playing a squad of said orks defensing a human world from Chaos in da nam uv da Empruh in a one off campaign.
>>
How many battle-nuns would be in a chapter spread across an entire subsector? are they limited like marines, or can there be an order of 15000 sisters, with chapels across every habitated planet?
>>
>>43518027
If you think they are called battle-nuns and organized in chapters, you should probably have a read through their wiki entry and if you still have questions after ask again. Not trying to be a dick either, but you need a basic grasp first.
>>
>>43518052
sororitas, orders, terminology and jargon. Theyre referred to as battle-nuns often enough i thought it would be accepted terminology. The question still stands-theres enough variance between books, some sources state maximum numbers of 1000, whereas others state like the wiki state that thats a preceptory and that there can be many preceptories in an Order.
>>
>>43518174
they're not standardised as Astartes chapters and can be from just few dozen people to tens of thounsands sororitas, with their own fleet, vehicles, tithe worlds (usually shrine/cardinal worlds) and the such.
It would be a mistake comparing them with the space marines, they're so different in purpose, regulatons around them and nature the only thing that ties them together is both wear power armour.
of course, there are also non-militant order, so

tl;dr - whatever you feel appropriate, there are no hard rules
>>
>>43518213
Almost. The Adepta Sororitas, being technically within the grasp of the Ecclesiarchy, are not allowed to have ships due to the clusterfuck that was The Age of Apostasy.
>>
Are there any notable badasses in the Tau or Necron race? I am curious. I feel like games workshop really only notes space marine bad asses when they do crazy stuff. Are there any necron or tau badasses?
>>
File: heresy.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
heresy.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>
>>43518458
how about you read the various wikis? they tell you about plenty of them. Most named Tau and every named Necron are badass, you've just not looked for them
>>
>>43518174
>>43518027
What you gotta remember is that
1) Adepta Sororitas are not ALL Sisters of Battle
2) They're the fighting arm of an organization widespread enough they're on every single fucking rock within the IoM
3) Most/all come from the Schola Progenium ergo there is something of a size cap since all people there are imperial officer orphans, i.e you can't just enroll there.
Ergo it's perfectly valid to have them come in army sizes equal to China's on some worlds and have them be kinda small otherwise.

>>43518458
>Tau
Shadowsun. I think most recently had an entire DW Squad sent only for all of them to die horribly.
>Necrons
Being badass is kinda hard when you're a member of a Type IV civilization.
>>
>>43518496

what is a type 4 civilization?
>>
Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have a link for the enemy within pdf ?
>>
>>43518559
A civilization with near god-like mastery of energy and matter on an universal scale.
>>
>>43518496
i was more thinking a pair of Orders brought in to a recently crusaded sector a millennia ago, and staying as the sector's only militant Orders, numbering in about 85k sisters between them, except spread out across thirty-odd planets each. Sound plausible?

>>43518569
check the last threads in the archive, its been linked every thread
>>
So everything the imperium uses is old technology right? Basically, everything the imperium uses was also around during the horus heresey right? How the heck is the imperium still alive with NO INNOVATION?!
>>
>>43518583
Can you please pay attention to punctuation and capitalization? It's very rude to ask for things while typing in a way that makes it incredibly hard for people to understand you.

Thanks.
>>
>>43518594
>So everything the imperium uses is old technology right? Basically, everything the imperium uses was also around during the horus heresey right? How the heck is the imperium still alive with NO INNOVATION?!
STOP ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS.

Fuck.
>>
>>43518027
>>43518594
>>43518559
>>43518458
Lots of deliberate and avoidable ignorance in here.
>>
>>43518616
I'm the sisters guy, and I was only asking because various sources disagreed. The other guy is just unable to use a wiki
>>43518597
Apologies, I'll go to bed if my punctuation is that bad.
>>
>>43518465
My sides
>>
What is the fastest combat your group has ever been in?
>>
>>43519122
gunning down the last three surviving victims of an artillery barrage
>>
>>43519164

Our Arch-Militant threw a grenade into a room, and that killed everyone inside. The GM explicitly said it was the Medic Bay, but the Arch-MIlitant didn't hear that. So he killed one of the few survivors on a 5,000 year old Grand Cruiser.
>>
If I am dual-wielding lasguns with a melee attachment on each and recoil gloves on each hand, can I actually attack with them in melee or do I need to drop one? What if it was a chain attachment from OW?
>>
>>43519213
>If I am dual-wielding lasguns with a melee attachment on each and recoil gloves on each hand, can I actually attack with them in melee or do I need to drop one?
Drop one. Bayonets count as spears in CC, and recoil gloves do not allow you to single hand melee weapons.
>>
>>43519327
>recoil gloves do not allow you to single hand melee weapons

Hence the name, not "Super Grippy Grabby Glove of Holding Stuff"
>>
What are relevant talents to grab for a sniper in OW?
>>
>>43520734
Ones that make called shots easier
The one that gives you one half of your BS bonus as extra damage
Maybe the one that lets you negate distance penalties
Stuff like that
>>
>>43518583
Ive been looking around and cant seem to find it m80.

Does anyone have a link ?
>>
Do background skills stack for the purpose of giving +10 bonuses, or are they redundant?
>>
>>43521672

What system are you making a character in?
>>
>>43521727
Rogue Trader, sorry. Savant can give logic but I already get it as an explorator, so...does that give me +10? Or is it useless, and therefore I should take academic peer?
>>
>>43521834

pretty sure getting a skill twice during char creation raises it to Trained, yeah
>>
>>43521903

Well Logic is already a Basic skill, so I think they're asking that Savant gives it and makes it a trained skill.

>>43521834

I would say no. My group has done it that if you get it as a starting skill or from a background you can't get it on the Advancement Table and treat it as a +10. So for my background I gave myself Tech-Use for my Voidmaster (because I didn't want to wait for rank 2), I couldn't take it again in Rank 2 and treat it as a +10 since later down the ranks there is a Tech-Use +10 that you can buy.

Short answer: No. Take Peer (Academic).
>>
>>43521672
>>43521834
Sibear in RT core book page 15
>Skills and Talents: The Sequel
>If you receive the same Skill more than once from different sources, you gain Skill Mastery in that Skill (see page 74). If you gain the same Talent more than once from different sources, you may elect to trade in the redundant Talent for the Talented (choose one) Talent.
>>
>>43522428
Well that is fucking awesome

Thanks!
>>
>>43522428
>>43522762
What does that mean for upgrading? Could I take Logic+10 at rank 2, or am I assumed to have that already?
>>
>>43522839
You're getting the +10 if you take this background.
>>
>>43507825
>>43499876
In navis primer they changed it so that the penalty to navigate without Astronomican is only -20, but re-entry will always be off-course with no chance of correcting it.
Best case scenario is that you end up in a neighbouring region to where you were going and have to travel a few weeks/months/years in realspace to reach it depending on what you roll on the re-entry table.
>>
There's an Inquisitorial faction that doesn't believe in factions, I'm trying to find their name but I can't find it. They believe the Inquisition should present a unified front and not fight amongst themselves and all that, can't remember their name for the life of me.
>>
Here's a question for anyone who knows OW:

What is the point of comrades?
Me and a friend are blocking out a campaign, and we're wondering what comrades bring to the game. For instance, do you really need them, or could you just treat their benefits like talents? It just seems like another thing we and the players would have to keep track of, and we don't have the experience with OW to say whether they'd add anything. We're planning on having the players be a unit or elites for a governor, like a honorguard or bodyguard squad, so we were wondering if it would be a better idea to just use some form of DH.
>>
Morbid curiosity: are there rules for bagpipes in any of the books? Or any mention of a not-quite-scotland such a thing could come from?
>>
I was wondering, in black crusade all the archetypes from the tome are clearly superior, are there any mechanism (extra starting xp/infamy/corruption) to bring the archetypes in the main rulebook in line with them? I want to play a minion heavy champ so bad but i feel i'd just be gimping myself.
>>
>>43518465
gonna need source on this
>>
>>43523491
Ordo Naïves
>>
>>43524813
Dohohohoho
>>
So I'm planning to run a BC game for my group and wanted to use the Hand of Corruption module. Mostly since, you know, that seems to be the only multi-part adventure available for BC.

But it doesn't seem to have any guidelines about starting xp for characters, and most of my group wants to use the advanced archetypes from the Tomes.

Anyone have any experience with Hand of Corruption to say if the power level if appropriate or not? I'm certainly willing to tweak the difficulty if need be, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into first.
>>
Is the Media Fire link not working for anyone? Is there a new link that I could access?
>>
>>43499765
Is azathoths stuff down completely? I can't get any access to it.
>>
>>43523614

Roleplay opportunities
>>
>>43524244
That would be the most recent episode of "If the Emperor had a Text to Speech Device". I'd say it was a decent one.
>>
>>43523779
...Every rulebook has a text box at the beginning of the advanced archetypes about how much XP extra they need to start with.
>>
>>43525122
Our group went through that adventure chain, and we had a helluva time. Then again, we were all human, no CSM
>>
I just noticed that true grit is offered twice in the class advancements for a Void-master. Does this mean it stacks? So critical damage gets rounded down to a quarter?
>>
>>43525971
If you read the Errata, it clarifies that that was an error.
>>
>>43525971
Look in the errata, it should only be there in rank 5. In general, no talents are ever going to stack unless they explicitly state it.
>>
>>43525875
Thank you bruvva
>>
File: Remove Chaos.jpg (121 KB, 811x582) Image search: [Google]
Remove Chaos.jpg
121 KB, 811x582
>>43526012
>>43526049
Ah, thanks guys. Emperor be with you.
>>
>>43514343
Battlefleet Koronus says one lighter, shuttle, or heavy lifter per 5 points of Space the ship has, +4 for every Cargo Hold component the ship has. In general, most RTs will have a personal guncutter or Aquila and the other 5-11 or so will be Arvuses or heavy lifters.
>>
So there has been a interesting development in the Dark Heresy game I'm in. For background our party is just a bunch of random people gathered up as disposable trainees under an inquisitor. We were sent onto a hive because of a stupidly tiny inconsistency in the tithe, and to see why one of the local shrines are complaining so much about the hive gangers. As I said we're pretty much disposable trainees but there are a couple of NPCs that our inquisitor trusts to keep us from screwing the pooch too hard.

Essentially we found a hive gang that is at least partially responsible for these problems, and figured the best way to get them to tell us shit was to make them think we're on their side. We get a job to make a delivery to a noble house, and the second we walk inside the heresy is obvious. We intended to leave and come back with someone of actual authority and a few more guns, but than we realized that one of our inquisitor's real agents is captured by these guys. We decide about sticking around a bit and pretend to be friendly until we can try and save the agent. We called for the inquisitor's other agent and got him to come to help us out. We fail to stealth kill the guard between us and the agent so we started a huge gunfight and the result is we got the agent we were trying to save out but the one that came as reinforcement died, but at least we got most the cult.

Now you think with the cult purged things would get better, but nope. Because we burnt down a noble house the locals were not happy at all. We explained what happened inside the house but because we weren't exactly inclined to admit we took blood money from a hive gang we kept our mouths shout about how we got in there, making us look a bit suspicious, and had a lot of people in power outraged. Along with this we know this is only a small cell of a much larger cult.

Now the other day we didn't know who was able to show up and who wouldn't and it turned out to be just me and the GM.

Will continue.
>>
>>43526642
So it was just me and the GM the other day, and he thought about just canceling but decided I could do a bit of snooping around alone in the middle of the night. I take a peek at one of the other player's mail and realize he has been sent by another inquisitor to spy on the one we're working for. His orders were pretty much just to report what we're doing and was also told to retrieve the possessions of the agent that died in the noble house. I decided that before anything else I should see what exactly the agent had before I get anyone else involved. I don't want our inquisitor overreacting and killing someone if it isn't needed.

I find the agent's apartment that's on the mid hive, so not completely terrible place. I get inside and while I couldn't figure out specifics on a thing inside I know that these are things stupidly heretical. Like nothing short of lord inquisitors are meant to have this kind of shit heretical. Biggest thing in there though was a glowing green thing that is emitting a blinding green light. I realize this is deep shit and decide to bail, but I couldn't get the place's security system to lock up so I shot the keypad, closing a blast door but also setting off an alarm.

I run for it out of there still trying to contemplate what I saw and what to do with it. With this being the apartment/base of operations for my inquisitors most loyal agent the only conclusion I could draw is that our inquisitor is not what he seems. Then I run head first into the sister superior, who is one of the people most outraged by our actions last session. Me running from an active crime scene, I knew I couldn't lie my way out of this and told her everything I found in the apartment and she said that she would report to my inquisitor. I tried to tell her she really shouldn't but wouldn't buy the bullshit reason so I also spilled that our inquisitor is being investigated by a different one.

That's pretty much where it ended, and I got no idea what to do.
>>
>>43526945
I've learned a lot of shit but I've also locked the group into what is likely a world of hurt. I got the person that was questioning our faith the most to trust us again, but she won't be waiting long before purging someone. I don't know if I can let the party know any of what I've learned, as I fully expect one of them to let it slip right in front of the inquisitor. I don't know if our inquisitor even knows about all of this heretical shit they his agent was holding on to. I don't know if this was just being held onto or if it was being used with malicious intent. The only option I can really see is continue forward pretending nothing happened.
>>
>>43527042

Yeah I would keep your mouth shut to other PCs from now on. Let the GM cascade events as they should, and possibly have a character in mind/made up in case shit hits the fan and your character dies.

Do keep in mind there are Radical Inquisitors as well as Conservative Inquisitors.
>>
>>43504068
>Also for the first time in a long time All Sisters Party didn't end with the GM holding his head in his hands.

No that just happened halfway through this time.
>>
>>43527125
I am aware but the giant glowing green thing with ominous symbol on it doesn't sound good to me at all. GM says I got no idea what it is but I'm pretty damn sure it's necron. Good intents or not keeping necron shit gets worlds leveled.
>>
>>43527224

Fair enough, and yeah if your character saw something like that they would think it's heretical.

Anyway, you've learned another PCs secret, pretty big deal. I think it's out of your hands now.
>>
>>43527293
So I could use a second opinion of a course of action where I'm doing something other than pretending everything is okay. Idea is to get the one party member, that was sent by the second inquisitor, get him alone and try to figure out what he knows. If he knows anything than maybe I can get a figure out a bit more of where loyalties stand. I really don't like having this many unknowns and he's the only one that can help me figure some of this out. Of course doing this will probably end up requiring threats made from behind a shotgun.

Biggest thing I got to do is find a reasonable way so that when my current PC dies what he knows isn't lost. I'm trying to think of a reasonable way to do so but I can't think of a good one.
>>
Something DH2e could use is something akin to an updated Inquisitor's Handbook with more elite advances.
>>
>>43527613
This. Also because I'm a massive tacticool gear whore and a book full of things to go full Tacticool Explorator Barbie with would make my dick so hard.
>>
So I'm having the party working with a new Inquisitor who is accusing their old one of heresy.

What sort of governmental body in the Imperium handle that sort of thing? I want a scenario where the party would be key witnesses.
>>
>>43527906
>What sort of governmental body in the Imperium handle that sort of thing?
Inquisition council taking place on a watch fortress, a secret black site, or other stronghold. The Inquisition answers to no one but itself, the High Lords, and occasionally the Astartes or other parties
>>
>>43527906

The second book in the Eisenhorn series has quite a bit of information about the internal workings of the Inquisition.

Eisenhorn was arrested for heretical acts and I remember he underwent some pretty intense interrogation. Here's what I was able to pick out of the Lexicanum:

"After three months of Eisenhorn being interrogated by Osma's staff, words arrived at the Carnificina that Lord Inquisitor Rorken had persuaded Grandmaster Orsini to have him extradited to Thracian Primaris, where he would stand trial before a Magistery Tribunal of the Ordo Malleus and the Officio of Internal Prosecution."

Reposting with proper spoiler tags.
>>
File: 1446930541100.jpg (348 KB, 960x1999) Image search: [Google]
1446930541100.jpg
348 KB, 960x1999
Any stats for sonic-weapons?
>>
>>43528683
Check Black Crusade and Rogue Trader.
>>
>>43528683
Core Black Crusade and Tome of Excess has Noise Marine and Ghibelline sonic weapons, respectively.
>>
>>43529005
The Ghibelline sonics are just hilariously OP, too. What was with BC putting hilariously powerful weapons and gear in every sourcebook?
>>
>>43529127
Heretics.
>>
>>43529127
Because you're playing hilariously powerful characters. If you were playing a measly Acolyte or guardsman, yeah BC's kit would be bullshit. But since you're playing heretics that can cut a Warhound Titan to shreds solo, or sway an entire populace with a word, or grow four extra arms and hex-wield Storm Bolters I don't know why he did it but I had someone do that in my game, he knew he wasn't able to fire them all at once but did it anyway. Heretics, amiright? then they become less impactful.
>>
>>43529127
it's counterweighted by the fact BC players are incompetent, back-stabbing, pvp'ing dicks who never get anything done.
>>
>>43529282
Look, if you can't beat a Space Marine Chaplain to death in single combat armed with a broken lasgun and a spork, you're not a proper heretic and I'd be embarrassed to offer your skull to Khorne. True strength comes from within, not from your kit.
>>
>>43517274
One of these days I want to play a game with absolutely zero subtlety. Head braziers, six foot bannerpoles of the Inquisition, gilded armor, servoskulls blasting out holy hymns at deafening volumes, and 100 extra XP to the hammiest PC each session. Bonus points for being a Monodominant Hereticus cell with Redemptionist sympathies. It would be glorious.
>>
>>43530397
Sounds like fun.
>>
>dark heresy
>sent to a hive world to investigate the governor
>given a line to the inquisitor's account to buy lodgings and food
>use it to rent the 5 room penthouse in a huge luxury hotel
>bill a limo to the room
>bill a shopping spree at an associated shopping center to the room
>bought an entire high end wardrobe+jewelry
>drink the amasec off the mini bar.

I feel like the next session will be lively.
>>
>>43531915
>given a line to the inquisitor's account to buy lodgings and food
>buying a wardrobe and jewelry
>not buying suits of power armour and twin-linked storm bolters and a dozen combat servitors
do these cretins even know what theyre doing?
>>
File: Archer 40k.jpg (164 KB, 1024x724) Image search: [Google]
Archer 40k.jpg
164 KB, 1024x724
>>43531915
Are you literally Archer?
>>
>>43532003
whenever i see this, i always wonder where Pam, obviously the Scum, has run off to

also whether Barry is a necron or a Man of Iron
>>
>>43532116
He got a cybernetic resurrection that gave him waaay too many IP and then just kept doubling down on the bionics and IP
>>
>>43531997

we gotta look nice, yo.
>>
Is it just me or is the Great Unclean One in BC kinda weak?
>>
>>43514079
There actually are rules for elite advances in 1e, but they're vague and hidden away. If I remember correctly, elite advances are 100% GM discretion and are suggested to cost some set amount more than they would otherwise (50xp, I think).

>Psychic powers will KILL YOU DEAD AND ALL YOUR FRIENDS, YOUR FAMILY, YOUR DOG, AND YOUR ENTIRE WAY OF LIFE WILL BE DESTROYED FOREVER.
100% true. If you're using anything that needs more then one die, everyone else should be running for cover. That said, some of the low-cost powers are good and relatively safe. When I was DM-ing DH, my psyker players abused Spasm to no end.
>>
>>43532579
>everyone else should be running for cover.
Won't save you when the inevitable Manifestation or Daemonhost gets rolled.
>>
I played a session of DH (or was it two?) with some guys but it fell apart after that. Where do you guys find campaigns to play online?

I just want some one-offs I can play cause all my groups fall apart and I don't have a lot of free time in the next couple weeks anyway so it wouldn't be worth starting a campaign.
>>
I've been wanting to do an Only War campaign based off of Mad Max as inspiration, featuring a mechanized infantry penal legion that drives around in trucks and uses grappling hooks to board enemy vehicles.

All of this was invented before Fury Road came out but now I really want to add combat drugs including a "suicide mix" of a shitload of powerful but extremely self destructive drugs that ends up a vial of chrome liquid, when the vial is injected into the user and the chrome color liquid is drained you can see the writing on the inside of the vial in chrome lettering that reads "The Emperor Awaits" also equip their trucks with racks of exploding spears they can throw at people.

I'm wondering though, how Only War's vehicle to vehicle system is, and if it would be exciting enough for the players, and what my general story could be for the campaign.

I'm thinking something like it takes place on a death world rich in Promethium, there are imperial settlements there to harvest it, but the settlements are under constant attacks from the Kult of Speed Orkz and my mechanized penal legion is sent in to deal with the greenskin problem.
>>
>>43533344
OW's vehicle system is the best of the the 40k rpg line, though that isn't a very high bar to pass. Shield of Humanity has extra bits for vehicles like anti-grenade mesh and camo netting.
>>
>>43533782
How fun is it to actually play though? Like I wouldn't want to do a vehicle campaign if it isn't something that could be as or more exciting than the regular ground combat.
>>
>>43518465

>no sound means you cant hear the 'AH DIE HERETICS' as the planet is engulfed in flames

6/10 you tried.
>>
Has anyone run a Rogue Trader campaign in the Jericho Reach before? I'm trying to figure out if I'm insane or its a good idea..
>>
File: Great Unclean One.png (1 MB, 1268x800) Image search: [Google]
Great Unclean One.png
1 MB, 1268x800
>>43532422
This one?
He's... Well... I don't know.
>>
>>43534354
All he really has going for him is his massive amount of wounds and a relatively pitiful level of regeneration.
>>
>>43534473
Also a fairly decent Toughness Bonus, and automatic success at all Nurgle Psychic Powers at Psy Rating 7, which he can push to Psy Rating 10, only hurting him if it goes Perils. For which he likely won't give a shit.
>>
>>43534354
>>43534473
admittedly, either his TB or Regen could use a buff to be more in-line, but he isnt supposed to be an unstoppable rapetrain like a bloodthirster
>>
>>43535065
Still could use more than a 'measly' 22 total TB and maybe something like regen 14 which he doesn't have to roll for.
>>
Anyone have any idea how to build a character that dual wields high ROF weapons? i have this vision in my head of a guy who busts down a door and just goes full on john woo, what class should i be using in Rogue Trader to that that as quickly as possible?
>>
>>43511611
I'd probably say 35-40.

>Inquisitor is an Oblationist and former member of The Brotherhood of the Horned Darkness
>Psyker unleashed the Crowfather, a greater daemon of the Calixis Sector, upon Grove's Fall and damned the entire planet.
>Former Adept Acolyte went FULL HERETIC and turned against the party during the Crowfather Incident and became a Witch and the first disciple of the Crowfather
>Scum made great friends with some violent brutes, ended up drinking with them and that inadvertently led to them becoming king of a Feudal world. Also is a noble of the Kasballica with contacts across the entire sector.
>Assassin is a Sin-Eater for said Inquisitor and the angriest motherfucker since Khaine
>>
Lemme tell you about my last Rogue Trader session /tg/

>Rogue trader and bridge staff have been stranded on a space hulk by an inquisitor they pissed off
>Party find a camp full of imperial guardsmen and a handful of space marines also stranded here over the years
>The party plus one of the space marines go out on a salvage mission in hopes of one day repairing a ship and escaping.
>They enter a delipidated chapel to rest.
>Suddenly ambushed by a couple of insane cultists and a space marine who's been here too long.
>Suddenly Genestealers
>Heretics cut down immediately, as well as a party member who gets oviposited.
>Astropath attempts to throw an overcharged mind bolt to hurt a genestealer but rolls perils of the warp.
>Mass Possession.
>Half of everyone gets demon'd for fourteen rounds.
>Genestealers kill each other.
>Psyker (who wasnt himself possessed) puts the guy who got oviposited out of his misery.
>Arch militant (possessed) fired a goddamn hallucinogen grenade in to the middle of the room.
>Rogue trader is currently in shock, possessed by a demon, and hallucinating.
>Space marine gets killed
>Psyker commits sudoku having seen what he wrought
>Arch militant and Rogue trader are the only ones left in the room alive.
>Rogue trader says "I hate mondays", falls to her knees, and begins sobbing.
>It's thursday.
>>
File: 1335855131934.png (144 KB, 510x546) Image search: [Google]
1335855131934.png
144 KB, 510x546
>>43535457
ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC
>>
>>43535217
Either Rogue Trader or Arch-militant can dual wield guns at rank 2, of which rogue trader get better at slightly faster, but over time arch-militant edges him out with pure combat talents. You need Two weapon wielder (ballistic), Ambidextrous and Gunslinger talents to eliminate penalties of dual wielding guns.

Decent high rof pistols are hard to come by so either get Storm bolters and recoil gloves, or mod the storm bolters with things that remove the penalty of shooting them one handed. Hostile acquisitions book has Micro upgrade that turns basic weapons to pistol weapons so that is a sure way to do it without issues.
>>
>>43535904
>Gotta get Righteous Fury eventually

You'll end up rolling more dice per turn than the rest of the table combined. I would murder you for the sheer time consumption.
>>
>>43535969
You know it. My group has arch-militant who does just that. Dual wielding stormbolters. The guy can clear a room with six people in it in one round.

Dice rolling isn't issue for us Because we use maptools with macros and play over skype
>>
>>43534354
his wounds aren't even a multiple of 7. Isn't a great unclean one meant to be TItan Tier?
>>
Has anybody tried running an all-Techpriest party in DH, having them be explorers of the Mechanicus or an envoy of the Omnisiha or something?

Are there any resources (apart from the Lathe worlds), fanmade or official, that offer some more implant variety to make a diverse tehc priest party viable?
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 600x405) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 600x405
Thinking about getting into RPGs in general and since 40k seems to be the main interest my local group has, 40k RPGs seem like the logical start. Have a group of 5 including myself, and if we ever started a campaign, I've been chosen as the DM. I have never. Once. DM'd. So, i guess I just would like some advice on which system is best for a new party, be it only war, dark heresy, ect, and if there were any pre-scripted campaigns for beginners in those systems. It's pretty daunting to be honest. DM'ing tips in general also appreciated.
>>
>>43536585
Only War would probably be the easiest to get into, both setting wise and system wise. At the local level, people don't need to know all that much about the lore to know the shooty end of their boomstick and that a massive hulking green gorilla is not your friend. It also allows you to work intrigue and schemes in at your own pace, instead of them being the mainstay of the game as with the other games in the 40kRPG line.
>>
>>43536553
Apparently theres supposedly an all-techpriest group inspired by the AGP, but I'm pretty sure it never got off the ground.

It's possible, just have them specialize differently from the beginning, homebrew stuff if they ask for it, and allow them to take some elite advances cheaper and make others more expensive. A Skitarii Vanguard explorator can get a bunch of ballistic talents that it wouldn't usually get, a xenologist can get bonuses from studying dead xeno's, a Magos gets some command skills from the Rogue Trader paths, while a Biologis becomes even more heal-ey and gains access to a bunch of vat-grown bits, like maybe extra arms of flesh, improved biological bits, or maybe even flesh dendrites, make it up. I'm not sure on specifics since i know RT the least of the systems, but theres surely a bunch you could homebrew from the careers in it.

>>43536585
Don't try to emphasize with full stops on an imageboard, it looks ridiculous. To answer your question, download the rulebooks from the links in the OP, read the books, and make up your mind from that. Only War is easy to get into and fairly polished, so i recommend it as a starter. Only War/DH are low power, RT is mid power, DW/BC are high powered.
>>
>>43536585
Only War.
>>
>>43536585
I'd also reccomend OW, it can be pretty straightforward without coming out shallow because that's what you expect, while you are free to add as much intrigue and social stuff as you like in the form of different regiments and branches working together for a common goal in the war effort.

The core book has everything you need to start and more, including a starting mission with full fluff, then you might want to get your hands on Hammer of the Emperor at the very least, adds a shitton of content, while the other useful one is Shield of Humanity. More aimed towards priests and abhumans but has a lot of new talents for everyone and rules for a good number of vehicles. The other books are a bestiary and full-fledged adventures, your call if you want them.

Everything else you need you can get from the OP, it's mostly some quality of life stuff though.
>>
>>43536553
It's fairly easy to run an Ad-Mech group in 2e.
Just all take the Adeptus Mechanicus background choice.

Cheap augmentations for everyone!
>>
Would bionic locomotion for an Ogryn just be the bottom half of a Sentinel?
>>
>>43537329
No. Tank treads from a thunderfire cannon would.
>>
Okay, Psykers. The books are a big vague about it, but am I correct in assuming that - in the context of FFG canon - being Sanctioned basically just means having been taught how to git gud enough as to now blow oneself up? IIRC there are flaws one can take as a result of the sanctioning, but the books seem comparatively silent on the process itself.

Also, is late teens too young for a psyker?
>>
>>43538062
>taught
no. You hold part of the emperor in yourself to help protect from the warp, but lose some of your possible potency. Exactly how this happens is less clear. That's a shitty, bare-bones look at the subject, read around before running straight to /tg/ for answers
>>
>>43538062
Sanctioning is essentially the Schola Psykana vouching that you are a psyker and are less likely* to go ker-daemonhost than most others. Training is putting too specific a term on it as every psyker is inherently different, and standards and regulations being all over the place. Largely it comes down to learning how one interacts with the Warp and resisting the predations of daemons. Lot of hypnosis and prayer, some get lobotomies. Then there are some who get soul-bound though that requires going to Terra more often than not. Age wise late teens means they were identified as a psyker and were powerful enough to warrant being scooped up by a Black Ship before they turned 10 easily. Inquisition is probably the only life they know.
>>
>>43536624
>>43536645
>>43536760
>>43536737
Looks like Only War is the agreed upon answer. I'll take a look at the core book and try to get a full feel of the game and mechanics. Thanks!
>>
>>43538292
That's for Astropaths who are Soul-bound. he rest are just torturously conditioned to be somewhat stable.
>>
>>43536645
>Apparently theres supposedly an all-techpriest group inspired by the AGP, but I'm pretty sure it never got off the ground.

I hear isolated cases of it, but the guy running it doesn't post storytimes, or if he does he does it so sporadically it's hard to follow.
>>
File: Dawn of War 2.jpg (168 KB, 300x367) Image search: [Google]
Dawn of War 2.jpg
168 KB, 300x367
>>43499765
Hey guys, I'm thinking of running a Dark Heresy 2nd edition game with a bunch of people who don't know anything about 40k.
I have one player who does know stuff, and I was gonna make him leader of the group (I plan on making him be, like, an apprentice Inquisitor). The game is going to take place in the Aurelian Sector after the events of Dawn of War II: Retribution. Plot is going to deal with House Vandis leading an insurrection to try and retake the sector.
Any advice for running games with total 40k newbies? Also, any fun ideas for stuff to go down in the Aurelian sector during the game?
>>
>>43541240

could be interesting

but keep in mind, you have like two planets to mess around where there'll be people

aurelia itself will be off-limits because of Ulkair, I'm fairly sure

typhon got burnt and may still be experiencing earthquakes and seismic activity from the exterminatus

and angelos' home planet (can't remember the name) is probably also off-limits after the shenanigans and warpfuckery kyras got up to

so you're basically going to have to run with meridian and calderis

which isn't bad per se, because meridian and calderis are decently varied (urban hive and mountainous desert terrain), and meridian is an excellent place for social intrigue and such

for ideas, well, an ork uprising, perhaps? Given the depleted state of the Blood Ravens and the general rekt status of the sector, another Ork WAAAGH gathering on Calderis isn't out of the question

for added fun, there's giving your players the Uplifting Primer to read and then sending them against gretchin and pretending those are actual orks

and then you pull out the actual Boyz
>>
>>43542031
This is post DoW 2 so Ulkair is defeated.
But yeah, most of the campaign will take place on Meridian, as that is where House Vandis was. Though I'm picturing they have bases all over.
The only real question is, how can I get them onto the Judgement of Carrion and not get them killed.
>>
Hey, I need some help finding an item in the dark heresy ruleset, maybe rogue trader or deathwatch

I know what i'm looking for but not what it is - its a suit of ancient power armor that's a relic and its major feature is a broken power supply, meaning a strength test to move in it - which is made easier for those that have true faith.

I'm not remembering if it predated Blood of Martrys or not, and it might have been in a campaign setting or splatbook with relics.

Combing the armory spreadsheet but it doesn't appear to be in it.

If this sounds familiar to anyone else, please point me in the right direct.
>>
>>43542372

Ulkair is imprisoned in Aurelia during Retribution though.

The Guardsmen there have been corrupted by his whispers, during the side mission, and the Chaos Campaign has you free him as your superweapon.
>>
>>43542372

as for your question of getting them onto the Judgment, maybe have them blunder onto a malfunctioning teleporter (one of those you make use of in the campaign) and get sent there accidentally?

then have them try to find say a broadcast beacon to call for evac from the ship they came in on while avoiding tyranid bioforms and orks?
>>
>>43542440
This is post Retribution, so I'm going to say Ulkair was further deeply imprisoned and won't be able to escape again for, like, 1,000 years or until somebody does a ritual (that Vandis will probably try). Though, I'm going to have residual tain from Ulkair. Vandis is going to be full nurgle and will have stuff like plague bearers and other Nurgle daemons.
>>
>>43542616

yeah, he won't be getting free easily unless someone does something like what the CSM did in Chaos Rising, which isn't out of the question for Vandis anyway

but he's fully capable of whispering to anyone on the planet, and it's still tainted, and there's nothing really of worth there to recover

so I'm thinking the place'll be empty beyond heretics, and thus it'll be the perfect hideout for the House Vandis cults, especially with Ulkair there

could be a nice place for a final showdown if the players find out about the threat and house Vandis' plans

the Blood Ravens, the Inquisition, and maybe some loyal IG deploying to crush the Vandis Heretics once and for all before they can free Ulkair again
>>
File: Captain Hair Gel.jpg (10 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
Captain Hair Gel.jpg
10 KB, 180x180
>>43542721
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.
Hell, now I'm starting to plan out all of Vandis's operations:
Meridian: Undermining Planetary Governor Derosa out of spite
Calderis: recruiting warriors
Typhon Primaris: Secret base that trains the heretics
Cyrene: Gathering artifacts left over from Kyas's defeat
Judgement of Carrion: Used to launch space raids on ships for supplies and slaves.
>>
>>43538062
>too young
>imperium of man

Fuck, they probably field psyker child soldiers already. Would likely field psyker toddler soldiers if they could get them to march in line
>>
>>43543404
>march in line
That raises an interesting question, namely what the "according to protocol" position of a Psyker is within an IG army or even just battalion. Art always kinda does the whole STANDING ABOVE IT ALL cribbed SM depictions which in turn were inspired by old paintings, the PC games have them be squad leaders, tabletop is tabletop and inquisition works are irrelevant.
>>
>>43543740
They usually act as advisors with HQ squads
>>
Void Abacus, Prognosticator...Is there any other piece of gear/ship upgrade I can use in RT to say FUCK YOU! to the Navis Nobilite?
>>
>>43544215
There is a artifact in on of the Edge of Abyss supplement book that that grants spykers to navigate the warp with +30. Still can't see the Astronomican though, so re-entry will probably fuck you over.

Also the Navis Nobilite will probably send Evesors to fuck you right back for using such devices.
>>
Thinking of giving my troops a box of grenades as the standard kit for their transport truck, they use open top troop carriers so it would be a good advantage for them to have.

What would be a balanced number of grenades for the box to hold? Thinking 5-10 grenades per box.
>>
>>43544479
What's their job?
Who are they fighting?
>>
>>43544354
I forgot about the Klenova Class M warpdrive.
>>
>>43544574
Mechanized infantry regiment fighting Kult of Speed orks.
>>
>>43545009
Krak Grenades.
You're likely to luck out and hit a few.
Eventually.
>>
>>43545038
Well actually I'm gonna give them a type of pilum, think like the explosive spears the warboys have in Fury Road.

Going to be able to get tips for the javelins, because like hunting lances, without their tip they're just a wooden/alloy shaft, and like how every type of grenade in Only War you can get as grenade launcher ammo, or missiles, they'll be available to requisition of pilum tips in the same variety grenades come in, as well as hunting lance tip types that Hammer of the Emperor adds. Also just a metal version if they want to throw normal spears for some weird reason.

I'll give them a bonus for hitting stuff since I feel like it would be easier to vehicles with a throwing spear than a grenade.
>>
File: 1386516131627.jpg (74 KB, 495x778) Image search: [Google]
1386516131627.jpg
74 KB, 495x778
Dear Dark Heresy players, how was your character recruited by the Inquisition?
Also, what is your background/career path?
>>
>>43545332
He died. His guts had been spilled out and he was laying on the ground.

Then he woke up in the presence of his handler.

I'm playing Hiver Outcast Assassin who is also an untouchable.
>>
>>43545332

He found evidence that his commanding officer was dealing in some heretical shit.
Instead of finding a commissar or an inquisitor he just killed him himself.
The Inquisition liked his moxy and gave him a shot.
>>
>>43545332
He was serving as a sanctioned psyker in the Guard for some deathworld regiment, after surviving a battle against the eldar where he was one of the few survivors, being adept at telepathy ( though not a astropath ) he sent out a message, a call for aid, for an astropath the message would've taken days to reach any astropaths, but for him it took months, almost a year past and the few survivors that were found by a inquisitor, of the ordo xeno. The surviving guardsmen were sent to another regiment while I was taken in as an Interigator( I was adept at telepathy, telekinesis and biomancy)

Home world: frontier world on the edge of the light of the astronomican, near the halo stars ( a subtropical ocean world )

Backround: Adeptus Astra Telepathica
( was picked up by the black ships at the age of 10 and entered the guard at 17. Currently 22 standard Terran years old)

Role: Mystic.

I've had fun with him, his momento is an old refractor field that no longer works ( though many sessions later our heretex and Tech adept were able to get it work.
>>
>>43545332
>Sactioned Psyker attached to an Imperial Guard Regiment
>Murdering the fuck out of everything with Pyromancy
>Inquisitor arrives out of fucking nowhere, and requests Psyker support for a black-ops mission
>Get sent off with him to destroy the command infrastructure of another Regiment who had been corrupted, and were going to turn on everyone else at an opportune moment
>Unfortunately many of the loyalists in that regiment believe (correctly) that they've been turned on by their peers, and to placate them (and avoid admitting Warp Corruption) I and like 2 dozen men are sentenced to death by firing squad
>Inquisitor does a last-minute switcharoo with bodies, and I get replaced with a conscript arrested for being drunk on duty.
>Leaves the planet, with me in tow.
>So now I follow him around and kill shit as a "trump card". Most people don't expect the guy in Flak with a Lasgun to start burning everything to death with massive explosions of fire.
>>
So I just rolled up an Explorator and managed to get a starting insanity of 24. On a scale of good to great, how well does this bode?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.