[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Order of the Stick 1011
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: Oots1011.png (134 KB, 913x1194) Image search: [Google]
Oots1011.png
134 KB, 913x1194
A bit wordy, but the plot is still advancing. Any thoughts?
>>
>>43497529
10 bucks says he just throws his sword through it to finish off notdurkon.

that or xykon shows up.
>>
>>43497529
>nothing still alive can pass through

DAMN YOU BURLEW I CAN'T HANDLE THE SUSPENSE
>>
In before the other vampires give the finger to Hel. Also, Vamp Durkon will survive and spread misery all across the Dwarven lands.
>>
>>43497529

One of the demigod priests is going to be undead, or not alive in some other kind of way.
>>
>>43497667
They can't interfere though
>>
>>43497529
>nothing alive
ARE YOU SOME SORT OF ZOMBIE NOW BELKAR?
>>
>>43497694

They only need to vote yes or no. I bet this fight will end in an anti-climax that will screw up Hel's plan. Then, Hel will send Vampire Durkon to either plan B or just revenge (killing as many dwarves as possible in dishonourable ways).
>>
>>43497529
Time for a sexy shoeless god of undead?
>>
Could Celia go through?
>>
>>43497796
She'd be an Outsider, right? That's not the same as not being alive. It's not even close.
>>
>>43497814
Antilife shell doesn't affect outsiders.
>>
>>43497796
If memory serves, she is an Outsider creature-type. At absolute worst, this just means that she wasn't born on the Material Plane. Most Outsider-types though are immortal, in that they won't die of old age but can still be killed via mortal wounds or illness.

But she would still be affected by the Anti-Life Shell and would die.

As things stand, the only things that can pass through it are thrown weapons, projectiles like bolts or arrows, spells, and other undead.

I don't think the Protection from Evil ring/amulet that Belkar has grants protection from the shell's affect, as it is basically a dome of pure negative energy circling Durkula.
>>
>>43497852
>I don't think the Protection from Evil ring/amulet that Belkar has grants protection from the shell's affect, as it is basically a dome of pure negative energy circling Durkula.

It doesn't in "regular" D&D, but it might in OOTS.
>>
>>43497852
Couldn't Roy throw his sword?
>>
>nothing alive
>throws sword

Wow that was so fucking hard.
>>
>>43497594
Definitely this.
>>
>>43497862
Yes, but then he's without his best weapon and potentially the only weapon he has readily available to him. I don't remember exactly how throwing weapons work when they don't have a range on them. I want to say it's something like 15/30 feet range and you only get BAB + the item's magic weapon bonus if it has one.
>>
>>43497852
Despite what it is called, the spell doesn't actually have the capacity to kill.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antilifeShell.htm
>>
I think there's a 110% chance Roy is gonna throw his sword
>>
>>43497882
Can't someone just shoot an arrow or something? Maybe Roy's sword can break it if it goes all green? Seems to be specifically an undead killing weapon.
>>
>>43497887
>http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antilifeShell.htm

And it officially doesn't hedge out outsiders.

Celia/Sabine/The Imp to the rescue?
>>
Also, to just save time, here's the general rules for Outsider-types (if Roy summons Celia to have her give Durkula a good old thunderbolt to the chest):

Outsider Type

An outsider is at least partially composed of the essence (but not necessarily the material) of some plane other than the Material Plane. Some creatures start out as some other type and become outsiders when they attain a higher (or lower) state of spiritual existence.

Features

An outsider has the following features.

- 8-sided Hit Dice.
- Base attack bonus equal to total Hit Dice (as fighter).
- Good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves.
- Skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.

Traits

An outsider possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be.
- Proficient with all simple and martial weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
- Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Outsiders not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Outsiders are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
- Outsiders breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish). Native outsiders breathe, eat, and sleep.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm
>>
>>43497900
Yes, they can shoot an arrow or use a thrown weapon or cast a spell into the Antilife Shell, the anon was just saying that he isn't sure what Roy would be rolling if he did throw his greatsword at Durkula.

Not to mention we don't know for certain if it'd kill Durkula or not. Yes, Durkula looks pretty wounded, but the thrown weapon without the Starmetal effect on it might not be enough.

Also, Roy looks to be full health, so the starmetal effect must've healed him somehow while he was whacking away at Durkula.
>>
Once again, Roy's inability to carry a ranged weapon screws him over.

Seriously it can't be that hard to get a magical composite bow. Even Haley carries a melee weapon for emergencies.
>>
>>43497963
>3.5 fighter
>ever carrying a bow

Rangers did that so much better than them nobody ever bothered.
>>
Surely the man must have a rope or something on him.
>>
File: Darkseid-6.jpg (1 MB, 2205x3291) Image search: [Google]
Darkseid-6.jpg
1 MB, 2205x3291
>anti-life
>>
>>43497887
>This spell may be used only defensively, not aggressively. Forcing an abjuration barrier against creatures that the spell keeps at bay collapses the barrier

If Roy convinced a few people to stand right up to the barrier, Durkula would pop it if he moved even an inch.
>>
>>43497997
Then how about a bigass crossbow. Point and Shoot, motherfucker.
>>
How long has this shit been going on for? Months?

Shiiiit. End it already, Burlew.
>>
>>43498189
>Crossbow
>Not carrying around a ballista

What else you gonna use all that STR for?
>>
File: aasdoqwrsdfpqweisdf2ewfo2e1004.png (489 KB, 902x1194) Image search: [Google]
aasdoqwrsdfpqweisdf2ewfo2e1004.png
489 KB, 902x1194
>>43497870
>>43497862
well Rich did emphasize Roy's long-range capabilities earlier, possibly on purpose or possibly as a red herring
>>
>>43498206
It starts as a Large Crossbow, and scales with level.
>>
>>43497529

JUST THROW YOUR SWORD, YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER! IF YOU ARE STILL TOO STUPID TO CARRY A FUCKING RANGED WEAPON, JUST THROW YOUR SWORD!
>>
Five Internets says he grabs a table or other big heavy object and uses it to beat the -ula out of durk.
>>
>>43498267
Sounds legit.
>>
File: 4.png (238 KB, 913x1194) Image search: [Google]
4.png
238 KB, 913x1194
Didju rike it
>>
>>43498337
You had 18 opportunities to make d jokes and took none
>>
>>43497930
>Also, Roy looks to be full health, so the starmetal effect must've healed him somehow while he was whacking away at Durkula.

The little BATTLE DAMAGE marks disappeared when the sword's effect properly activated.
>>
>>43498383
Sorry, I don't like reddit humor.
>>
>>43498337
>doing one of those edits
>not turning it into "jokes" about "the D"

who are you and what have you done with /tg/
>>
File: 1.png (386 KB, 667x670) Image search: [Google]
1.png
386 KB, 667x670
>>43498390
If you think that's /tg/ humor then you should kill yourself. It's not funny in the least, honestly.
>>
>>43498396
>not noticing the word "jokes" was in quotes
>>
>>43497882
It's just treated as an improvised weapon. -4 to attack, 1d6 damage (1d8 for a two-handed weapon, but it takes a full-round action to throw a two-handed weapon). The range increment for an improvised thrown weapon is 10ft. (15/30 is a 5e style notation, in 3.x range on thrown weapons is up to 5x their increment, with a -2 penalty per increment beyond the first).
>>
>>43498419
Yeah, I noticed after I posted it. My mistake.

But seriously, it's really unfunny.
>>
>>43497997

Meh, between the vampire DR, resistances and fast healing, and his lack of stuff boosting ranged combat, he'd be doing basically nothing anyway.
>>
>>43498389
Is that where it came from? Ok I see why reddit gets the hate it does.
>>
>>43498434
Roy really does have basically nothing other than his Fighter BAB/Weapon proficiencies to boost ranged attacks, as best I remember. I think he joked about having only taken a class in Archery back at "FIGHTERS COLLEGE" (which I pictured as being led by Fighter from 8BT) because it was a mandatory subject one semester.
>>
>>43498396

Lookit this super serious fag over here.

So mature, so refined, in possession of tact most graceful.

Get over yourself, jackass. As a deuterostomic developing human you, like all of us, were once nothing more than an asshole wrapped in a cunt. Unlike the rest of us, however, your circumstances have failed to change.
>>
File: descartes-meditac3a7c3b5es.jpg (95 KB, 1031x860) Image search: [Google]
descartes-meditac3a7c3b5es.jpg
95 KB, 1031x860
>>43498453
It's the most reddit thing. They took a 4chan joke, made it PG-13 and then bastardizd it completely to the point where it was unrecognizable, then it poured into imgur and 9gag like all the sewer waste that comes from reddit.
>>
File: oots1011.png (246 KB, 913x1194) Image search: [Google]
oots1011.png
246 KB, 913x1194
>>43497529
Less words.
>>
>>43498467
>Wow get over your high horse
>Look at how smart I am

The irony is thick indeed.
>>
>>43498474
Mmm, that actually works.
>>
>>43498474
Now edit in that last panel of that one B^U comic.
>>
>>43498497
Which panel?
>>
>>43497717
Vampires are not alive. Durkula's a vamp. You do the mathematics.
>>
File: brevity.png (1 MB, 913x1194) Image search: [Google]
brevity.png
1 MB, 913x1194
>>43497529
>>43498474
Too many words, m8.

Did anyone else notice how Durkula slipped up by referring to Durkon in the third person?
>>
>>43498770

The cat is already out of the bag, no need for Durkula to keep pretending.
>>
>>43498773
Then why was Roy monologuing about how he doesn't care if it's really Durkon any more last strip?

Not that this will have much of an effect on Roy's general strategy of 'Just Fucking Kill Him' at present, but the confirmation is now there.
>>
>>43498770
"get rekt"
noice.
>>
>>43498770
>Too many words, m8.
Just enough to keep meaning and not turn everything into unfunny "d jokes".
>>
File: sfetch021.png (78 KB, 391x260) Image search: [Google]
sfetch021.png
78 KB, 391x260
>>43498792

If Roy doesn't care anymore, there's no need to keep pretending.
>>
>>43498735
>You do the mathematics.
>Belkar=Durkula
>>
Does anyone wonder what the 3 fiend's angle on this is? Would they want the world destroyed or not? Do they even know it's going on?

I mean, they can't really do anything about it right now, but one wonders if this factors into their plan at all. If they could have called in one of their markers to prevent this, but instead want it to occur?

To what end, though, I'm not sure.
>>
>>43498935
>Would they want the world destroyed or not?

Absolutely fucking not. They want endless conflict with no resolution ever. Hel suddenly getting upper hand against all of her pantheon seriously throws a wrench into cogs of their plan.
>>
>>43498943

So how do they stop this? They couldn't have prevented Durkon's vampirification, seeing as how V was alreayd out of commision by that point. Using up their second marker in the middle of the fight with the Vector Legion might have ensured Durkula's death but would also have cost them their own pawns.

The only thing I can think of is them using their removal as a signal to Haley and Elan that something is going wrong and they need to intervene, but even then it relies on them interpreting the message right.
>>
>>43498810
Hear hear.
>>
>>43498552
You have to ask?
>>
>>43498459
Yeah, this and the need to keep his sword suggest to me that he won't be able to solve this on his own by throwing it

Belkar's a fair shot with his knives though, isn't he?

I think the temple is too well built for him to just drop masonry on Durkula
>>
>>43499015
>Remove V
>zone of truth
>explain situation
>release and tell them to jump to it
>>
>>43499143
>remove V

This is not the time to remove elf, comrade!
>>
>>43499146
It's ALWAYS time to remove elf.
>>
>>43498434
No, if it well organised (and Roy is not). It is not even expensive.
Long bow 1d8, composite +6 dmg at least.
A couple of silver / cold iron arrows +1 with flaming / undead bane / holy. Their price is 1/50 of a parallel magic weapon.
If you really ha 1008mo to throw away, get an arrow with all that stuff.
You would ignore DM and deal 1d8+6+1+2+2d6+2d6+1d6. More than 30 dmg.
Clearly is most effective with full attacking with 3 arrows silver +1 undead bane.
>>
>>43497529
>plot is still advancing
The opposite, really. Advancing the plot would have meant killing off Durkon and closing this whole Godsmoot business. Instead, we have more stalling out of nowhere. Durkon was pretty much dead already, but then an idiotic Diabolus Ex Machina gave him time to recover. Durkon dying next chapter because of a sword throw or whatever would only underline the point that there was needless padding.
>>
>>43499173
He didn't have a particular reason to think he'd be needing to shoot vampires.
>>
>>43499181
Other than being completely useless when disarmed or out of range, and supposedly being smart, you mean.
>>
>>43499173
*you would ignore DR, not DM.

I know, I know...
>>
>>43499186
Well no. If you're just saying people should stockpile random kinds of ammo that's fine, but he had no reason he'd need to fight vampires at range. Holy silver undead bane arrows are pretty specific.
>>
>>43499181
It seems you are not acquainted with D&D 3.5.
Google golf bag dnd 3.5.
Oots is a good party who have to kill and epic undead and has recently come to babysit a vampire, so they had all the reasons.
>>
>>43499203
Wasn't me that posted that specific item recipe, was just chiming in to say it's pretty dumb of him to not at least carry some fucking throwing knives or something. But then, making poor "build" decisions is kind of a whole thing in OOTS-land.
>>
>>43499203
His ancestral enemy is a lich, he should have a plan B ready.

Maybe that's the plotline that makes him realize it
>>
File: michelle.jpg (362 KB, 980x653) Image search: [Google]
michelle.jpg
362 KB, 980x653
>>43499180
>Diabolus Ex Machina
I like you
>>
>>43499209
>It seems you are not acquainted with D&D 3.5.

I'm quite well acquainted with D&D 3.5, no need to be a dick.

>who have to kill and epic undead

...who isn't vulnerable to silver and who is far more likely to have adamantine DR, so by all logic they'd have adamantine.

>and has recently come to babysit a vampire

Seems pretty damn stupid and comic book-ish to stockpile ammo to kill one single party member, and most of the party probably isn't familiar with vampire DR.
>>
>>43499223
>Wasn't me that posted that specific item recipe,

Good for you, but it probably wouldn't do shit to Durkon.

>to not at least carry some fucking throwing knives

Sure, but they'd do nothing in this situation.
>>
>>43499225
>His ancestral enemy is a lich, he should have a plan B ready.

He should... and that would probably involve stockpiling something that would be able to damage a lich, ie a sling with holy adamantine undead bane stones. I say adamantine because its the most common spell derived DR.
>>
>>43499266
>no need to be a dick
Was I? Much asssaltyness.

>Seems pretty damn stupid and comic book-ish to stockpile ammo to kill one single party member, and most of the party probably isn't familiar with vampire DR
You are NOT acquainted with dnd 3.5...

>who isn't vulnerable to silver and who is far more likely to have adamantine DR, so by all logic they'd have adamantine
Please google golf bag dnd 3.5, and don't get so defensive, please.
>>
>>43499286
>Sure, but they'd do nothing in this situation.
Oh, absolutely. Durkula's actually made a smart move for once there with that Anti-Life Shell, he could hold that for a good couple of hours at his level, and realistically he's only got to stall long enough for the vote to pass which shouldn't take anywhere near that long, since he knows Roy has dick-all chance of damaging him reliably enough at a range of 10+ feet to beat the fact that Durkula doesn't have to maintain that Shell (if I'm reading these rules right) and thus could just drop a minor 'heal' or two on himself.
>>
>>43499317

>You are NOT acquainted with dnd 3.5...

Of course I am.

>google golf bag dnd

Got some general references to DR woes in 3.5, which everyone is already familiar with (the golf bag of weapons problem), nothing revolutionary.

Certainly nothing about how everyone should be assumed to have holy silver undead bane arrows in particular. Even if he could comfortably draw the bow and the anti undead quiver in time, found a place selling such, and happened to have even commissioned anti Durkon weaponry, he's got about a 1/3rd chance to pick the right arrow, not knowing about vampire vulnerabilities.
>>
What's with fading eyepatch dude in the background?
>>
>>43499388
High Priest of someone or other, one of the not-Norse gods I think?
Just stuck there to remind us there's other people there at this point.
>>
>>43499388
*chick. She's the High Priestess of Zeus. The "fading" is just the shadow effect used too much.
>>
>>43499377
>Of course I am.
Then do not show ignorance.

> nothing revolutionary
Yet you were ignorant of it. And fail to understand why it matters now.

>Certainly nothing about how everyone should be assumed to have holy silver undead bane arrows in particular
Yes, if you have contingency plans. But the uber-arrow was a theoretical example.
The point is: there are lot of useful option if you are well organised, which is a necessity for 3.5 martial.

>Even if he could comfortably draw the bow and the anti undead quiver in time
He has hours to do it, that spell will endure for long.

>found a place selling such, and happened to have even commissioned anti Durkon weaponry
The point is it not anti-durkon, it is anti-everything who can have resistance, DR and other shit.

>not knowing about vampire vulnerabilities
But they know or should know. They tackled the problem of durkon vampirism several times. It was an obvious question, if you have contingency plans.

>>43499388
priest of wotan probably, the eyepatch is a pretty big clue
>>
>>43499486
She also has the spear which Roy threw in >>43498228
>>
File: 1446572958184.jpg (344 KB, 954x634) Image search: [Google]
1446572958184.jpg
344 KB, 954x634
>>43499461
>Zeus

Oh my fuck. Odin. She was the high priestess of ODIN.

Her spear even had the two raven feathers. How the fuck did I mess that up?
>>
>>43499486
>Yet you were ignorant of it.

Not in the slightest.

>the uber-arrow was a theoretical example

Yeah, no shit.

>He has hours to do it, that spell will endure for long.

If Durkon is nice and does nothing to stop him from tortuously slowly plinking away, I suppose.

>The point is it not anti-durkon, it is anti-everything who can have resistance, DR and other shit.

There are a lot of things he could spend money on. The chance that, in a party where nobody (living) has knowledge: religion, they would have something to penetrate his DR would be slim. Of that chance, the probability that they'd have enough arrows to do the job would also be slim. Of that chance, the probability that he would randomly guess to use, say, holy anti undead SILVER arrows and not adamantine or cold iron ones are even more slim. And finally, of that ghost of a ghost of a ghost of a chance that he picked the right arrows, a non archery oriented fighter beating a higher CR full caster at range is pretty slim.

Better than nothing, but hardly revolutionary.

>But they know or should know. They tackled the problem of durkon vampirism several times. It was an obvious question, if you have contingency plans.

No. The entire subplot is based off the fact that the only person who knows jack shit as far as undead, was made into one. Keep up.
>>
>>43499399
>>43499388

Isn't eyepatch dude the priest of Odin? What with the missing eye and all?
>>
>>43499566
This is starting to get boring.

>Not in the slightest.
Don't be childish.

>Yeah, no shit.
Re-read my post, please.

>If Durkon is nice and does nothing to stop him from tortuously slowly plinking away, I suppose.
As Durkon already said "I know the smart move would be yadda yadda incorporeal", but he will act for the sake of the plot. It is the same reason why Roy is not optimized as a character nor as for his equipment.

>There are a lot of things he could spend money on
Logical fallacy, but I do not know the name in english.

>other stuff
No. You should have arrows with several combination. Silver is tipical against bad guys. Undead are an important part of the plot.
Holy is obvious if you battle Evil.
The point is they do not reason like experienced players (and it is a GOOD thing).

>The entire subplot is based off
Oh, hi Rich.
No. If they wanted to, they could have known. There were several ways. That were ignored for the sake of the plot.
You want examples?
>>
Enter undead Belkar.
>>
>>43499665
>Don't be childish.

We already knew that having a variety of affordable low level weapon types and materials are useful. That doesn't apply to the given situation.

A lot more feasible would be holy water, albeit not by much.

>As Durkon already said "I know the smart move would be yadda yadda incorporeal", but he will act for the sake of the plot

The sake of the plot does not involve Durkon not retaliating when Roy is playing the plink plink game.

>Silver is tipical against bad guys.

Very little for anti undead besides vampires. He would, of course, not know to use said silver arrows even if he had them. There's also werewolves and some devils. Magic silver ammo would be a more useful investment.

>The point is they do not reason like experienced players

Bitching because someone else in the thread didn't have a problem with a guy, who knows nothing about undead, not having a stock of magic silver ammo he wouldn't know to use, isn't particularly reasonable.
>>
>>43497529
why doesn't he just turn to mist and float up to the ceiling?
>>
>>43499732
RAW, mist is a lot easier to fuck up than his normal form, though Roy doesn't realize that.

Also, he doesn't want to spend the moment of Hel's greatest triumph cowering.
>>
>>43499732
He pointed out that doing so would be the smart choice, but he really wants to whoop Roy's ass good.
>>
>>43499724
>That doesn't apply to the given situation.
It does apply if we consider RPG D&D 3.5 by wotc.
It does not apply if we consider it a story/literature.
This is my point (and maybe yours too).

>holy water, albeit not by much
Good call.

> plink plink game
?
But trying to damaging it is better than doing nothing. He would retaliate anyway. If Rich want, not if it's logical.

>Magic silver ammo would be a more useful investment.
That's the point. Did you misunderstand anything?

>Very little
You yourself quoted vampires, werewolfes, devils and I remember others undead.

>Bitching because someone else in the thread didn't have a problem
Please reformulate in a less convolute structure.
Anyway I fear your first post was totally bitching about stuff.
>>
>Roy finally learning to shut up
I'm so proud of him
>>
>>43497717

Dude, he's a hobbit.

racial +1 to thrown weapons, remember.

though if Haley's Nemesis somehow ends up being involved in all this that'd work too
>>
File: Roy.png (585 KB, 852x435) Image search: [Google]
Roy.png
585 KB, 852x435
>>43498474
>You talk too much
Roy's Wrath when?
>>
Psychic dagger to the back of the head when?
>>
>>43497529
Stopped reading cause it was too wordy and got boring for me.
>>
>>43499125
Yes, I haven't the clue what you are talking about.
>>
This really could have all been avoided if Roy hadn't gone for the "RAA SMASH" awesome blow thing and just stayed in melee range.
>>
>nothing that's still ALIVE can penetrate this barrier, however

I tell you, it's his mastery of subtlety that makes Rich Burlew the fantastic author he is
>>
>>43501687
>read through the thread

Wait, people think it will be swordchucker rather than Zombie Belkar?

Maybe Burlew is better than I thought
>>
File: loss of an opportunity.webm (1 MB, 1356x1066) Image search: [Google]
loss of an opportunity.webm
1 MB, 1356x1066
>>43501556
How?
>>
>>43501687
Would you prefer for the spell to be thrown with no explanation how it works?
>>
>>43501687
I'm pretty sure stressing "alive" was just to set up the silly "your hopes and dreams are dead" joke
>>
>>43501992
Still no clue.
>>
>>43502036
I'm assuming he means the miscarriage panel that wankers often use to make their comic edgy and random
>>
File: loss.png (537 KB, 625x787) Image search: [Google]
loss.png
537 KB, 625x787
>>43502036
>>
>>43502041
Go to bed, Tim.
>>
>>43502041
I thought about that one, but I am totally bling to how it does relate to this OOTS comic and my cut in particular.
>>
>>43502071
>blind
>>
>>43498228
Only now do I realize the "AAAAGH" may be the result of not-Durkon pushing Roy on the railing nuts-first
>>
>>43502606
or, you know, inflict serious wounds
>>
>>43502694
Pretty sure that was level drain based on the color.
>>
>>43502606
It's OK, he chugged a healing potion a few comics after that, healed his nuts up good.

His mom will still get to hear the pitter-patter of little feet. Or the woosh-woosh of little wings.
>>
>>43502761
>his kids will be self-righteous aasimar shitlords
>>
>>43502776
Why would they be aasimars? Celia's from the plane of air.
>>
>>43502776
Even worse... they'll be part-black.
>>
>>43502803
Oh right. Genasi then?

>>43502812
Black air elementals? Will they be discriminated against and be mistaken for smoke para-elementals?
>>
>>43502812
>>43502863

they could become Blacksmith Aasimars!
>>
File: honkhonk.png (216 KB, 913x1194) Image search: [Google]
honkhonk.png
216 KB, 913x1194
>>
>>43503028
My sides left to join the Sputnik mission.
>>
>>43503028
>But now I'm a raid siren

What do you do to think these things, and how easy are they to get
>>
File: Untitled.png (234 KB, 913x1194) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
234 KB, 913x1194
original style thog
>>
File: xykonava.png (21 KB, 117x117) Image search: [Google]
xykonava.png
21 KB, 117x117
>>43503028
We have a winner.
>>
File: thog.png (233 KB, 913x1194) Image search: [Google]
thog.png
233 KB, 913x1194
nu age thog lite

>>43503028
brilliant.
>>
>>43503028
Is this what it's like having dyslexia?

>Meme?
Retroactively made the gnome a good character.
>>
LET'S ALL TAKE A MOMENT AND REALIZE THAT THIS ALL IS ONLY POSSIBLE BECAUSE, OUTSIDE THE RULES OF 3.5 ENTIRELY, ROY'S FULL ATTACK SOMEHOW SENT DURKON FLYING FAR ENOUGH AWAY THAT HE CAN TOSS UP A SHELL.
>>
>>43503573
>OUTSIDE THE RULES OF 3.5 ENTIRELY
I'm pretty sure one of the "Complete" splatbooks has a feat that allows you to knock back opponents. Either that or it's just a stylized bull rush.

Or maybe Rich gave up because autists keep analyzing dramatic storytelling in terms of D&D rules.
>>
>>43503573
Go back to the forums, autist.
>>
>>43498770
This is overkilling it.
Nails first panel.
Nails second panel.
Nails final panel.
The rest is shit
>>
>>43503573
>>43503612
Jotunbrud+knockback
>>
>>43503573
Rich loves doing that, it looks more dramatic than "slash slash slash" forever
>>
File: 1386664223985.png (556 KB, 1400x1000) Image search: [Google]
1386664223985.png
556 KB, 1400x1000
>>43503028
Every time I think Thog edits can't get any better, some glorious bastard proves me wrong.
>>
>>43497529
>because it's an offensive AoE spell, it's counted as aggression against the other clerics who are obliged to at least disspell it

or maybe that's pointed out to them.

Or possibly even one cleric voluntarily throws them self into the field, making it count as "an attack"
>>
>>43504636
What? How is antilife shell an offensive spell, and why would that mean the other clerics would have to dispel it, given it doesn't affect them?
>>
>>43504636
It is by its very definition a non-offensive spell
>>
>>43504636
>Or possibly even one cleric voluntarily throws them self into the field, making it count as "an attack"
And what if one of the pro-universe reset clerics throws himself on Roy's sword, claiming he was attacked?
>>
>>43504636
If a cleric did that, it'd break the tie.
>>
>>43503184
>all your hopes and dreams can pass through it
>because these are dead!
noice
>>
>>43505362
Anon, that's the original joke from the strip.
>>
>>43505554
welp, my bad.
>>
>>43503028
It saddens me that some people actually think it's funny.
>>
>>43505987
You clearly never had to deal with a riot siren first-hand, then
>>
File: usually the stick.png (348 KB, 913x1194) Image search: [Google]
usually the stick.png
348 KB, 913x1194
Silly idea I got from watching Backstroke of the West.

The English --> Chinese --> English edit. It didn't come out quite as nonsensical as I was hoping, though.
>>
>>43507084
>Too many people put too much dialogue

Sensible chuckle, especially since it made me imagine Thog saying that.
>>
File: JJJ.png (133 KB, 318x354) Image search: [Google]
JJJ.png
133 KB, 318x354
>>43507084
>More pie man is what is it?
>Anti-living housing
>>
>>43507084
these threads make the wait to the next strip a fun time
>>
>>43503573
>5ft step
>move action
>cast

It's like you've never played a caster before. It's just a lot more dramatic if the caster doesn't do exactly that every turn.
>>
>>43507508
uh you can't five foot step and move in the same turn, broseph
>>
I bet if he did a Sheev Spin this wouldn't have happened.
>>
>>43507508
Wow it's like you've never played 3.5 before you fucking pleb.
You can't take a movement based action and a 5foot step in one turn. They're exclusive.

If you 5foot back alone, and then cast antilife shell you're trapping them in there with you, which is absolutely the worst place to be as a caster.
>>
>>43509663
You couldn't even do that. The shell would just collapse instantly, since you can't cast it on top of anything it would repel.
>>
File: Thinkin-Homer.png (31 KB, 320x216) Image search: [Google]
Thinkin-Homer.png
31 KB, 320x216
>>43502071
I am imagining a Homer-Simpson-thinking montage of this poster reading the vampire's dialog in the 8th panel, looking up miscarriage in the dictionary, and pondering as the sun sets.
>>
>>43497529

Any Thog edit of this strip must preserve "Talky man talk too much"
>>
>>43507084
I commend your work and encourage you to continue your efforts in the future.
Every Panel 1 is made up for by
>More pie man is what is it?
and
>Anti-living housing.
>>
>>43507084
By all means, unscrew.
>>
>>43509872
Source on that in 3.5?
>>
>>43510690

>>43497887
>>
>>43507084
>Usually the stick
I got "Adhere to the Command"
This is kinda fun.
>>
>>43503573
Burlew WROTE the Dungeoncrasher fighter feat. He's likely aware of pushback or knockback.
>>
>>43510811
Nothing about that says you can't make one with someone in it.
>>
>>43513683
Yeah and it's fucking retarded that Roy would literally ever use pushback or knockback as part of his full attack here.
It's just dramatic writing at the expense of the game.
Which is fine.
>>
>>43513751
>Area:10-ft.-radius emanation, centered on you
>An emanation spell functions like a burst spell, except that the effect continues to radiate from the point of origin for the duration of the spell. Most emanations are cones or spheres
From that, I'd say it expands outward as it's form, which would fall under "Forcing an abjuration barrier against creatures"
>>
>>43497529
Crystal would be handy right about now.
>>
>>43513783
Guess you don't know what it does then, moron? It turns knockback into gigantic damage.

Not to mention that without a reach weapon, standing next to him does nothing -- he can always 5' step back.
>>
>>43503028
>HEY! I FINALLY GOT THE ATTENTION OF /TG/ By SHOUTING REEEEE AS LOUD AS I COULD

Fucking A'
>>
>>43497529
For a creature that's supposed to be weak against fire, Drakulon really knows how to hand out burns himself.
>>
>>43515025
kek
>>
>>43497529
Seriously, not one of the clerics is willing to break the rules? Or even just kill themselves to prevent the world from ending?
>>
>>43516492
Plenty of clerics are willing to interfere, the issue is that the clerics on the opposite side would then counter-interfere and it would turn into a chain reaction clusterfuck. They're high priests, they have enough Wis to realize that's a horrible idea.
>>
File: m32rtvqwepdf302pfasdodvq1002.png (405 KB, 931x1194) Image search: [Google]
m32rtvqwepdf302pfasdodvq1002.png
405 KB, 931x1194
>>43516492
>Seriously, not one of the clerics is willing to break the rules?

See panel 6. If one intervenes, they all intervene.

>Or even just kill themselves to prevent the world from ending?

The only way that would work is if one of the ones that wanted to destroy the world killed themselves, so saving it would win. Why would they do that?
>>
File: i dont know im drunk.png (374 KB, 913x1194) Image search: [Google]
i dont know im drunk.png
374 KB, 913x1194
It caught my attention that you are wasting your time with inferior thog edits.
Fear not, for I am here to show you true depths of eloquence.
>>
File: alot-better.gif (416 KB, 913x1194) Image search: [Google]
alot-better.gif
416 KB, 913x1194
>>43517334
No, wait. I got this.
>>
>>43508219
Well duh. Spinning's a good trick.
>>
The wee halfling, who is dead, crashes through ceiling and strikes the vampire
>>
>>43498267

>What would Thog do?
>>
>>43503573
It's also likely that durkula was that far away all the time and his hel's might gave him that range
>>
>>43517334
>>43517455
You need to rename it as by Vaarsuvius
>>
>>43499266
>stockpile
>a round or 2 of full attacks
a properly paranoid bow wielder WOULD keep some 5-6 silver undead bane arrows just for this occasion.
but haley isn't there.
>>
>>43517334
Vaarsuvius edits! What a great time to be witnessing this.

>>43517455
Go home V you're drunk.
>>
>>43498474
I don't think a Thog edit should edit out a quote from Thog.
>>
>>43521109
it's completely appropriate, since Thog forgets things he's said and done with incredible frequency.

It's sort of like poetry, y'know, they rhyme.
>>
>>43514326
I know exactly how the damage buff works.
If he 5foots and casts then Roy steps and full attacks.

In no situation is giving him the space to cast a spell like antilife shell a good idea. Roy flatly wins the close range game and if he *wanted* to use his Dungeoncrasher feat he could do it like every other Dungeoncrasher in existence: Bullrush Durkon *with him* into a wall and then bounce him between the wall and him like a fucking pinball.
>>
Rich continues to prioritize drama over exacting rules compliance, news at 11.
>>
>>43498196
So, are they still on Namek?
>>
>>43498196
Desert was OotS' Namek.

I re-read recently and skimmed through that entire thing.
>>
>>43521597
>>43521691
I think Namek was "Is Roy still dead?"
>>
>>43521719
I discovered OotS while Roy was still dead so I never lived through it. Maybe you're right
>>
>>43521691
Does that make Tarquin Frieza? Is he gonna come back half Warforged only to be defeated in an instant by Belkar's son from the future?
>>
>>43521737
Or trains for 3 months and becomes the most powerful force in existence other than literal deities.
>>
>>43508219
>>43517505
He would also have to scream AAAAUUOOOOUUGHGHGUUUGHGHGHGHHHH
>>
>>43521737
>>43521760
Suddenly I find myself craving an animated cartoon of OoTS voiced by the Team Four Star crew.
>>
>>43521691
This comic can have a lot of Nameks depending on how you look at it. Haley losing her voice, Belkar's mark of justice, Azure City in general, etc.
>>
File: teamevil2.png (261 KB, 617x563) Image search: [Google]
teamevil2.png
261 KB, 617x563
>>43522734
>Azure City in general, etc.

tfw everytime I reference AC as a good thing people mock my Tsukikofu
>>
File: 1441374390964.jpg (33 KB, 576x640) Image search: [Google]
1441374390964.jpg
33 KB, 576x640
>>43522753
>>
>>43516578
At least one of the guys who voted to destroy the world was all "shit" when he realized Hel's plans. But there was a no takeback rule. His high priest could kill himself. Tada.
>>
>>43522801
They're Clerics. Their whole life has been about dedication to their chosen God's will.

These are not the sort of people who just disregard a lifetime of service and piety because they don't like how a situation turned out.
>>
>>43522824
But his god could totally order him to do so, just to dick over Hel.
>>
File: tsukiko3.png (251 KB, 544x649) Image search: [Google]
tsukiko3.png
251 KB, 544x649
>>43522784
Fuck you
>>
>>43522844
That would essentially be a take-back.
>>
>Post YFW Belkar shows up disguised as the representative of the minor gods

>Captcha is eggs
No, captcha, this is not the time no matter which waifu is getting posted.
>>
>>43522844
But they haven't
>>
>>43522863
Belkar is the only character to have succeeded at a Disguise check in this comic
It totally works
>>
>>43522753
You're waifu's dead m8
>>
File: Undead Mages.png (12 KB, 301x192) Image search: [Google]
Undead Mages.png
12 KB, 301x192
>>43522908
My waifu's a necromancer and as pic related shows, death is at best an inconvenience.
>>
>>43522971
Come to think of it, she was level drained to death by her undead.

Wouldn't she just come back as an undead?
>>
Is there any possibility that Durkon himself could intervene, being not alive, albeit trapped in his own brain or whatever?
>>
>>43523030
Which is why Redcloak had her body destroyed.
>>
>>43523052

Or failing that what about Roy's Dad?
>>
>>43523030
Nah, last one ate her and jumped into Wrong Eye's fireplace
>>
>>43523030
She was also torn apart and devoured, and the wights that devoured her in turn devoured eachother and then burned themselves to death.
>>
>>43523052
Maybe if someone put a protection from evil enchantment on his body, freeing him from durkula's influence.
>>
>>43523053
Ghosts don't need bodies
>>
What about the dead pantheon, the western gods I think it was, Zeus and Apollo and so on?
>>
>>43523176
They retired on the world within the Snarl (the IRL world - finale will be the OOTS meeting Rich and competition winners from GITP) and let technology thrive without the influence of Gods
>>
>>43523176
they're dead, Dave
>>
>>43523257
>They retired on the world within the Snarl (the IRL world - finale will be the OOTS meeting Rich and competition winners from GITP) and let technology thrive without the influence of Gods

I like to think this isn't true but another part of me thinks that the entire story got spoiled to shit for me due to this post.
>>
>>43497594
Eh, I'm leaning towards something about belkar's last breath and all that jazz
>>
>>43523261

And therefore not effected by the Anti-Life shell. I'm just spitballing here.
>>
>>43522863

Implying that it isn't the technical high priest of Banjo, the Minor God of puppets, who's coming for cake.
>>
Man. I forgot how bullsit the 3.5e spells were. Those fucking anti-x spheres lol.
Perfect immunity to a wide range of things with no save and super long duration. I remember how we just casually walked into red dragon lair with antifire sphere. The dragon had CR like 4 higher than party level but it was still a piece of cake thanks to this spell.
>>
>>43521719
The post-escape from Azure City/Roy's Still Dead/Party's Still Split was the Namek.

Like, it literally drove V bonkers because of its whole 'this is STILL going on?!?!' nature.
>>
File: 1404652976774.jpg (110 KB, 751x723) Image search: [Google]
1404652976774.jpg
110 KB, 751x723
>>43524580
>mfw the thing that tipped V over the edge was the possibility of ANOTHER potential sub plot and character
>>
>>43516578
"Then I will help them both equally by casting Heal on them."

Fuk u technicalities are totally allowed in religion.
>>
>>43525036
That still triggers every other fucker in the room going all out.

This room has more Wis modifiers in it than the rest of the world combined. It's not going to happen
>>
>>43525109
Haven't played D&D, what would the wisdom score of a level 15-8 cleric be? What would the sense motive skill be at?
>>
>>43525157
>what would the wisdom score of a level 15-18 cleric be?

Higher than any human alive today. They will be beyond Vulcantier logical
>>
>>43525180
Around 30 or so.
>>
>>43525244
How? Even if you start with an 18 and add 4 from the levels and a +4 item you'd only have 26, not 30.
>>
>>43525840
Add on a +5 tome
>>
>>43525840
Start with 18, 20 if you're a real pro.
24 from level
30 from a +6 item
35 from a Wish or Tome.

That's down to 31 if you were a 16 Wis Cleric at start, and still 29 if you were a 14.
>>
>>43505987

Look out, the fun police is there.
>>
>>43497529
>Beatsticks always state that as awesome as casters are, if they get into melee with a fighter they are dead
>Attacks do not move enemies unless you use bullrush
>Roy actually had to specifically and intentionally use an attack that throws durkula out of melee range so that dorkula could cast again
>Roy has such crippling ADHD that he stops to muse and then listen to random guy instead of finishing off dorkula. (seriously, worse than elan)
either that, or the author is nerfing martials worse than they already were in RAW
>>
>>43497594
>10 bucks says he just throws his sword through it to finish off notdurkon.
it seems pretty obvious, yea.
>>
>>43497997

>rangers in 3.5 being better than fighter in non-magic combat
HAHAHAHAHA.... no.
>>
>>43534281
>>rangers in 3.5 being better than fighter in non-magic combat
>HAHAHAHAHA.... no.
He didn't say non magical combat, he said fight with a bow.
Rangers get archery bonuses (even if they don't qualify for the feats in question), spells, and an animal companion.
>>
>>43534496

>Rangers get archery bonuses
Kinda like fighters but worse

>spells
thus why i said non-magic? fighting with a bow isn't using magic. Also ranger magic worse than a druid

>an animal companion.
which is worse than a druid.

3.5 rangers is a worse fighter and worse druid.

If you wanna be a bow user might as well be a fighter you want spells and animal companion be a druid (then be better then the fighter at melee at the same time)
>>
>>43534609
>3.5 rangers is a better fighter and worse druid.
FTFY
>>
>>43534747

in what world are 3.5 rangers better than 3.5 fighters at archery? please do tell.
>>
>>43522824
Yeah. Their God regretted it.
>>
>>43534813
>in what world are 3.5 rangers better than 3.5 fighters at archery?
>at archery?
Missing the point completely.
the point is that
>>43534609
>If you wanna be a bow user might as well be a fighter you want spells and animal companion be a druid (then be better then the fighter at melee at the same time)
is a completely retarded statement. It creates a false dichotomy where you have to choose between being a full caster and being a fully muggle.
Rangers are objectively superior than fighters overall

However, if you insist about it being archery, rangers are better at that too. They get key archery feats which have a requirement of 13, 17, and 19 dex respectively for free.
A fighter might take those feats, but only if he sunk all his points into dex which is dumb and not really worth it. Even for a dedicated archer.
The vast majority of fighters simply do not qualify for said feats because of the dex limitation
>>
I always thought this comic strip was rather shitty.
>>
>>43534909

you seemed to have missed the point. Look at >>43497997

We are talking about using bows. That has been the ENTIRE point.

>false dichotomy, choose between being a full caster and being a fully muggle

we are talking 3.5 where pure casters kinda rule here? CODzilla being a thing and all. You don't pick the ranger for its spell casting prowess since it gets it so late for a spell caster.

>The vast majority of fighters simply do not qualify for said feats because of the dex limitation

because majority of fighters aren't going range and wear heavy armor. You are creating a no true scotsmen error here.

>but only if he sunk all his points into dex
and the ranger doesn't have a high dex because he gets 'free' feats so he fails at having extra damage?
>>
>>43535021
>you seemed to have missed the point.
Except YOU are the one missing that point. You seem to fail to grasp the context of "melee fighter carry a bow as a secondary weapon" (namely, roy greenhilt from OOTS). And how rangers are just casually so much better than them.
The only way a fighter can compete with a ranger in using a bow is if the fighter is built entirely around being a dex based bow user, which is retarded.

Furthermore, in missing that point you have also made further points which were dumb. Such as claiming that you can only be muggle or full caster and that there is no room for hybrids like the ranger. Fighter is shit tier for a reason
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.