[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NaNoWriMo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 14
File: Just Do It.png (63 KB, 600x840) Image search: [Google]
Just Do It.png
63 KB, 600x840
I don't know if the thread will last the night, but it just died so I'm going to make a new one.

Previously >>43443410

Talk about your novel! What are you doing, what do you want to be doing, how far are you, and what are your plans?
>>
Oh, there's an IRC, too #tggoes50k on Rizon
>>
Maybe someone here can give me advice.

When they say you should write everyday for practice, does it have to be fictional writing, or do you just write whatever, as long as it's a certain word count? Because I want to be able to tell stories, that's the main thing.

Also, how do you avoid the pitfall of starting to write something and then just being paralyzed for whatever reason? It's like I'm worried that I'm fucking up what I wanted to convey, and can't bear to continue murdering the meaning. Makes me feel like an idiot.
>>
>>43493596
I feel similar. I just have so many problems with the very act of writing. Typing or writing both have their issues, and it's very hard for me to get over the tactility of it and the difficulty in arranging thoughts once they're put down.

As for writing practice, you should generally write what you want to write. Writing grocery lists or something academic probably won't help you write a narrative. But describing and narrating something from your life that isn't fictional probably will.
>>
>>43493664
>something academic

You know, I am so good at this. I hate it.

Going to start narrating my life, thanks anon.
>>
>>43493879
Watch a scene from a movie and try to describe what you're looking at.

What I do when I want to write a scene is I first try to picture it in my head playing out like a movie.
>>
>>43493360
Ah! That's where I've seen this before.

Well some person I know has been writing something on the tier of Japanese Light novel.

Their premise of wanting to bend all the Japanese Clichés makes even less sense now.

I'm no write fag generally, but they were saying an actual author friend of theirs was helping them and I'm kinda staring at the thing sighing and trying not to be too mean. There was potential, but it's too much for the person right now.
>>
>>43494063
>it's too much for the person right now.
November has been widely acknowledged as a bad month for NaNoWriMo, because everyone is busy with holidays, prep for December holidays, school and finals, etc.
>>
>>43494119
Well, I mean for their level of experience, 10 pages in and they're already trapped in the cliches they wanted to parody.
>>
>>43493596
Structuring a narrative, learning grammar, or coping with the struggle of finding that RIGHT word for the job aren't limited to fictional writing. Like >>43493664 says, a grocery list isn't really intensive training. But neither is an artist making tally marks to count really practicing art, or a musician knocking on a door. Many fields require articulate writing, but creative writing is certainly the most, well, creative and free.

Whenever I'm struggling to write what I am trying to write, I will write about how I'm feeling. This often turns into long episode of me venting about things that I wasn't even aware were bothering me. Then I return to my project with a refreshed psyche and focused subconscious. So I would highly recommend anecdotal writing for anyone, not just those who want to write books.

tl;dr write every day, no matter what it's about. Even if you're writing about not being able to write, that's learning how to express a mood.

>I'm worried that I'm fucking up what I wanted to convey
Everyone feels that way. We're apprehensive because we know it's not what we want to say. Hell, I've already rewritten this comment thrice over because I'm not sure it's clearly communicating what I want to say. The key, for me at least, is to keep trying. Eventually you're going to exhaust all the wrong words and be left with the right one. Keep a thesaurus handy. Keep a dictionary handy. Write a sentence twenty times in twenty different ways, mixing and matching how it starts and how it ends.

I'll take breaks from trying to write whatever description or dialogue that is troubling me to parse off the next immediate line with a big -NOTE- and try to explain what it is I'm struggling to convey exactly. "This guy doesn't sound angry enough" or "My description sounds too happy. This is a dungeon!"

It's hard to bear the frustration of not being able to say what you want, and everyone deals with it differently. Maybe other anons can add their two cents.
>>
>>43494063
>staring at the thing sighing and trying not to be too mean.

Don't feel too bad. For a lot of people, the point of NaNo is to just write a bunch, even if it's crap, and that way they can get better at writing. I feel like anybody who does it and thinks that people should expect their work to be good is delusional, especially because this whole thing is done without even editing.
>>
>>43494152

Wow, thanks for the reply. It actually really resonated with me.

I think I will try writing how I'm feeling the next time I get stuck.

Oh man, now all I need is to find the time.
>>
>>43494208
Ah, well I wasn't familiar with the whole thing until I saw this thread. I can go back to them with a much better focus now.
>>
I haven't written anything since Sunday, send help.

My current plan is to just write all weekend. Preferably on a caffeine drip.
>>
>>43494225
If you're here and not at work, chances are you have something like time, even if it's just jotting down a poem or a few lines of your lifted spirits right now.

Heck, even these people opening their hearts to find the advice are training themselves too.
>>
>>43494250
That's probably not the best way to do it, this shouldn't be forced. Perhaps you are approaching this wrong?
>>
>>43493360
>novel
A Game of Throws inspired tale set in a low fantasy, 1750's american western land. It reads more like the bastard child of Pride and Prejudice and Harry Potter right now, and I'm perfectly happy with that.

>What are you doing
procrastinating by posting here instead of rereading my character bios

>what do you want to be doing
fixing the plot - or finding one. There's three protagonists, having three different adventures, and they don't cross paths enough

>how far are you
started NaNo with 14K words already written, added only 4,00 since then. So, no, i'm not done.

>what are your plans
write an actual goddamn plot. I have characters, i have setting, i have themes and conflicts - but none of the gears are clicking to make things progress.
>>
>>43494119
I think that's why it's November. The whole point is that you should be able to write 1500 words a day even in the most hectic month. If you can write 1500 words a day in the most hectic month, you can do it in months where you can relax.

>>43494239
NaNo is basically a "contest" where you write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. You win nothing and there's no one to check your work.

I feel like a lot of people miss the point, though, which is to help build habits.

>>43494250
I started 15 days early and I'm still five days behind. I woke up today and told myself I'd compile my thoughts and maybe start on a Snowflake method outline. I did none of that. That was 8am. It's now 10pm.
>>
>>43494265

Yeah, you're probably right.

It'll help with the depression too. Maybe I can stop sleeping for an extra 3 hours if I get excited about writing whatever instead.
>>
>>43494285
Here's your plot: The Seven Years' War erupts.Your characters aren't caught in the middle of it; they're just trying to live their lives amid the devastation of burned crops and confiscated fields.
>>
>>43494225
>>43494265
>>43494307
Venting through writing to deal with my depression (and thus simultaneously not force myself upon anyone else while forcing myself to confront what was bringing me down) is actually how I found my love for writing in the first place, and why I am doing NaNo this year despite knowing about it since forever.

>>43494281
>shouldn't be forced
Isn't that the entire point of NaNoWriMo? To force yourself to write, regardless of quality?
>>
>>43494365
Not in that form of procrastination I imagine, "I'll just write this weekend hopped up on Caffeine" seems to be not exactly what they're going for if I'm understanding this correctly.
>>
>>43494389
Ah, that makes more sense, then.

>>43494250
Spotlight time, anon. Doesn't matter if you get progress made in your document or on here. What do you want to write? Where are you stuck? How can we help you not rely upon the sweet nectar of life, of all livelihood and progress, that is coffee to get things done?
>>
>>43494365
I've always thought of it more as getting used to writing on a regular basis
>>
Is there a website that lists off the clues, killers, solution, and summary of mystery stories?

I really need some idea of how to format one.
>>
>>43494347
The land is a fictitious place, western america/great plains was the best parallel (just sprinkle feudalism over the top, with knights replacing sheriffs and castles styled after victorian mansions). So I can't use the Seven year War exactly, but I can certainly style it after that. The characters are all nobles or related to nobles in some way, so they've got to be involved somehow.

In any case, you've kicked off a train of thought and maybe I can salvage tonight's remaining time. Thanks!
>>
>>43493360
>What are you doing
Low fantasy story about a farmer that gets drafted into a civil war against a rebel barony
>What do you want to be doing
Want to get pass this sequence where this group of mercs the MC is a part of have to escape a castle
>how far are you
Cheated a little bit and using part of a book I'm already writing. At 46k right now and planning to get at about 60k or so by the end by writing around 1k per day.
>what are your plans
Want the MC to escape the castle, join up with the main loyalist army, fight some rebels, attack the BBEG's castle, and then for the final reveal reveal that the main rebel army is marching for the capital of the kingdom and they only left a garrison force to distract the main army.
>>
>>43494446
I'm writing about a reluctant, accidental dwarven lich and the murderhobos that want to ruin his day.

He's just been turned into a lich, and has woken up surrounded by his new skeleton friends. I have no idea what to do next.

I guess if coffee won't help, maybe amphetamines? Nah, one of my problems is that I'm bipolar, and slightly hypomanic at the moment, so it's hard to stay on the one thing without being distracted.
>>
>>43495783
I can't say I know what it's like to deal with that, but if coffee helps, by all means drink up.

>I have no idea what to do next.
- How did the dwarf become a lich?
- If he doesn't know, what clues are laying about?
- who are these skeleton friends? Are they skeletons who are friends, or former friends who are now all boney?
- who are these murderhobos?
- what are they after?

Progress doesn't just mean adding directly to the narrative. Mapping out character relations, defining what pushes the plot, or researching background information to make the world seem more real - there's a lot of questions you can ask and answer, and then worry about putting into pretty prose later.
>>
>>43495783
>I'm writing about a reluctant, accidental dwarven lich and the murderhobos that want to ruin his day.

As far as a one-sentence synopsis goes, that's fucking great.
>>
>>43494250

You're making a mistake.

Don't try to catch up on NaNo; That way lies fatigue and failure.

Set a decent 1-2 hour block one or both days this weekend. Force yourself to type SOMETHING for at least an hour, but don't quit if you find yourself on a roll.

NaNo isn't an competition, and Sturgeon's law states you're only going to get 5000 good words out if any at all. Just make sure you're practicing and trying and you may even see yourself get back on track
>>
>>43495783

Start writing your middle first.

It's the reason new writers are obsessed with in media res: It's easier to write a cool scene than to get to it or deal with the consequences of it.

Write your middle, then start spreading the story backwards and forwards.
>>
File: Uncomfortable.gif (89 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Uncomfortable.gif
89 KB, 600x450
>>43493360
I'd like to say I'm writing a soft sci-fi about a crashed spaceship, a hard-bitten detective, and a conspiracy to unseat the biggest power in the galaxy.

What I'm actually doing is writing about a couple of chucklefucks standing around a desolate planet, talking and occasionally trying not to die. And then getting absolutely nowhere with the detective storyline.
>>
>>43493596
> How do you avoid paralysis

1) Open a blank document. Start writing anything. I don't care if you start writing the lyrics to songs you've heard a thousand times. I don't care if you start writing "I can't think of anything to write." Just get your brain engaged. Don't press the gas. Don't pop the clutch. Don't try to go straight to 5th gear. Just like in theater classes when the professor has everyone warm up with simple word games and physical activity, in writing you must often begin with something nowhere near what you're actually trying to write.

2) Put your characters in an uncomfortable situation. Is one of your characters a tomboy? Put her in a fancy dress. Is she a lesbian? Put her in a room with a flirtatious boy. Does she hate guns? Put her in a gun club, or put her at gunpoint. If your character's reaction is not immediately apparent, you need to develop that character further in your mind. Play little tricks. Swap genders. Change their name. Do minuscule adjustments until your characters speak for themselves.

3) Make shit happen. Describe an event. How does it appear in your mind? Does anything, or anybody, stand out? Write down those things and just put them in a separate notebook (or file) called your "toolbox." When you can't find a description, an event, a person, just open your "toolbox," pick one out, and smack it down on the page.

The trick is perseverance. And maybe all those authors who were also raging alcoholics might be onto something. Lower your inhibitions or whatever.
>>
>>43496244
I've covered a few of those questions in the narrative already, I just kinda feel like I'm rambling at the moment. But:
1) Accidentally spilled some of his blood on a magic circle while mining for gold.
2) See above
3) They're just some skellies who showed up.
4) Standard-ish adventuring party. Sword-n-board, wizard, paladin, bard.
5) Him, because he's a lich, and therefore Evil.

The coffee is mainly to gain more writing hours. I tend to be at my funniest when sleep-deprived.
>>
I'm writing a fantasy story, i have no worldbuilding, no plot, I can't write and I'm ripping off an anime.

I feel good about this.
>>
>>43494285
>Game of Throws inspired tale
set in 2014

The hard and diligent Jacky Mao had finally farmed enough coin for his Daedalus. He wiped the sweat from his brow and breathed a sigh of release. He also saw a camp of ripe creeps in front of him. The creeps were plump with gold.

Pittner called out to Jacky, "Dude they are all missing" but Jacky was blinded by his greed.

As he moved in the farm the creeps the Dire team sprung a nefarious trap and robbed him of his hard earned gold. "We fucking lost dude" complained Jacky's team mate Yuen.
>>
File: 1431058177469.jpg (26 KB, 380x336) Image search: [Google]
1431058177469.jpg
26 KB, 380x336
>>43497210
hue
>>
>>43493360
>What are you doing?
Shit posting on 4chan desu

>what do you want to be doing?
Writing

>how far are you?
Haven't even opened a Word doc

>what are your plans?
to crash this plane with no survivors
Actually I'm really just here to talk creative arts here. Also, I want to steal anon-kun's secret tech
>>
>>43497210
>I'm writing a fantasy story
>no worldbuilding
But you already said it's fantasy. Done deal.
>>
In honour of Fallout 4, this completely fucked weather and my own debased creativity, I'm supposed to be working on Fallout: Terror Australis.

So far, this has amount to basically nothing besides some character outlines and a sinking feeling that it'll be completely incomprehensible to 90% of potential readers.
>>
>>43497354
>nothing besides
>besides
I believe in you. Keep going! When you're done, you can always rewrite it so that we can read it! Never give up!
>>
>>43497320
But I got about a hundreds words out and I've already contradicted myself. In the first fucking sentence.
>>
>>43497372
Nothing was concrete, It's alright. Don't worry about it, just continue to write.
>>
Do people still read high sci-fi fantasy (lol I think it's called that but I don't know)?
Stories that are like John Carter or Starlight.
>>
>>43497432
What difference would it make if they did or didn't?
>>
>>43497432

Usually its called Sword & Planet or similar (riffing off the old Sword & Sorcery name).

Definitely a genre that's at a low point. On the other hand, its been at a low point for so long that it probably qualifies as a fresh approach now.
>>
File: myfacewhen.jpg (35 KB, 500x554) Image search: [Google]
myfacewhen.jpg
35 KB, 500x554
I've got so many characters and so much lore, but no idea who to make the mains and what to make the plot.
>>
>>43497432
>>43497504
We call it pulp sci-fi, riding dinosaurs on desert worlds and blasting wizards with ray guns.

They will read it if it's good, a lot of people manage to fuck it up somehow though.
>>
>>43497555
>I've got so many characters and so much lore,
I wish I had the same.

>but no idea who to make the mains and what to make the plot.
Just go with anything, you can switch if you want to when you're mid-scenario. Remember no one else is seeing, so you can write for yourself for fun. Just to explore your world with your characters perhaps. Maybe just have some tea at a shop. Anything goes.
>>
>>43493360
>Novel!
A story about a bitter young mage traveling with an emotionless nurse-golem and a depressed mercenary to collect the pieces of an ancient alphabet. People who disagree try to stop them. Both sides try their hardest to ignore the war between major powers going on around them. There are human people, bird people, snake people, fish people, and big people. The other races are totally just uncivilized monsters. Take my word for it.

>What are you doing?
Settling in for the graveyard shift at work, where most of my writing is done.

>What do you want to be doing?
Writing about magic 'n shit.

>How far are you?
10k words

>What are your plans?
The bitter mage will get a bit less bitter toward people helping him.
The emotionless nurse-golem will have a limited personality programmed into her.
The depressed mercenary will get help from a magic mermaid therapist.
Don't know about the rest.
>>
>>43497555
Well the plot is surrounding the journey of the chosen one and how he/she saves the world
>>
>>43493360
This will sound like absolute cal, but
>Novel
Set in Maybe Ten Years From Now technology-wise, the story of the adolescence of a devoutly christian girl who develops some unspecified form of mental illness, falls in love with her best friends, and may or may not eventually become a saint. My influences are Heathers, Bataille, McCarthy and Gaitskill. It will be !!fun!! once done.
>Doing?
Preparing to take my methylphenidate prescription before going to class, having just finished Utopia season 2, and highposting here.
>Wanting?
Writing, of course
>How far?
8k. I cheated and started with 40-ish k, but I am going to do the full 50 this month so help me god
>Plans
I will eventually run out of ideas. So I need to make sure that doesn't happen.
>>
Why bother? You will only get hesitant murmurs of praise from a handful of people that will pretend to read it. All you can hope to do is reread it a few months down the time, cringe and proceed to delete the novel. For the rest of your days, you will struggling to forget that you ever wrote it.
>>
>>43498908
The challenge is why I'm doing it. It took me about a year to write 40,000 words. With nano, it's taken me a little under a week to write a fifth of that. It's showing me how productive I can be.
Also, what is editing? Even the best writers write shitty first drafts. What, do you think that books like Blood Meridian popped into existence perfect?
>>
>>43498908
That's a shit mentality to have. Ever look at an artists first scribbles as a kid? Everyone has those initial cringe worthy moments. Holy shit man we all begin in the shit, in the end you need to constantly apply yourself to Git Good.
>>
>>43498908
Practice. You're never gonna be good if you aren't willing to be mediocre (or terrible) first.
>>
>>43493360
>Novel
It's about a student and a freelance writer (ambitious, dealing with everyday problems, trying to get laid) writing about a writer (teen, pretentious fuck, terminally ill) writing about another writer (young girl who writes a shitty detective novel with talking animals and allegoric undertones, and deals with her shitty family life). Although the student and the sick teen will also write short stories about different shit (epic fantasy, kinky sex, whatever else I come up with on the way)

So basically ((slice of life*romance) + (YA) + (detective fiction^2)) * writing about writing.
Can't come up with a strong enough twist for the ending though.

>What are you doing
Shitposting, duh.

Outlining the second part a different work and finishing the fucking opening arc for it already.

>how far are you
Only 6 000 words so far. Started it just for NaNoWriMo but I am beginning to like the idea, which woke the inner critic up, who can't shut the fuck up.

>what are your plans?
Doubling the word count tomorrow.
>>
>>43499415
>Can't come up with a strong enough twist for the ending though.

Guess it´s not really that strong, but you can always end up with that the young girl was the real writer all along, writing about a writer who wrote about a student and freelance writer who write about a pretentious, terminally ill teen writer who writes about her.
>>
I'm at 45471 words so far. My roman a clef about a heavily abused psychotic prone to violent fantasies who believes they have a dragon in their head is nearly complete.
>>
>Novel
Low-fantasy story about a girl who finds a strange relic after falling into the sea and finding herself eye to eye with a monstrous white whale. The local priest is convinced the leviathan was an avatar of a sea-god who chose the girl to find the relic, and sends her on what should be an easy journey to take it to the leaders of his church. Along with her goes her ex-soldier uncle, a childhood friend, and they'll likely have others joining their group during the journey.

I'm not trying to write the next LotR, this is mainly for recreational purposes, and I plan to use the world I'm building and some of the story elements in a campaign I'll run for my group further down the line.
>What are you doing
just got back from working out after finishing some work at uni, currently relaxing with a beer
shitpost a little before writing
>how far are you
I have 3500 words of prose and 2000 in notes. Just finished up the opening scene of one of the protagonists.
>what are your plans
I fell behind due to a hectic week, but I'm confident I'll get a lot of words during the weekend
>>
File: 1429559617529.jpg (55 KB, 367x480) Image search: [Google]
1429559617529.jpg
55 KB, 367x480
>>43493360
>Novel
Fantasy novel about a (secret) necromancer and a warrior. The warrior and her group come into town searching for the alleged necromancer. Shenanigans ensue.

>What are you doing
Writing this. Then going to write more on Tiny Necro and Marble Warrior friend.

Sleeping.
>how far are you, and what are your plans?
Not far and i don't plan well. I'm a pantser.
>>
>>43500620
I've seen like three other people writing about necromancer protagonists on top of my own. And that's not counting the lich.
>>
File: 1432469458144.jpg (804 KB, 850x1020) Image search: [Google]
1432469458144.jpg
804 KB, 850x1020
>>43500883
Necromancers are the new Vampires, dontcha know! Mine is tiny and cute though! Can't beat adorable girls raising the undead!
>>
>>43501124
Mine is also tiny and cute. 5'4, shaggy black hair that hangs in tight curls, a cherubic face with an upturned nose, tends to dress reasonably fashionable with peacoats and scarves and tight black jeans. Rather mismatched shoes, though, since big boots are good for getting where you need to go.

I feel like he should carry a gun, but I'm not sure what. A tiny little pea shooter isn't very helpful, but an M1911 would probably be bigger than his head. Maybe I'll go with gunless at first, but then he realizes the usefulness of having a weapon other than magic. He would carry a knife, though, those are always useful. A little foldable working knife, less for defense and more for things like prying out evidence or cutting rope. Alternately maybe a stun gun?

He'd also probably carry a messenger bag. A purse or whatever wouldn't hold nearly enough gear for a detective. Although having a bag means keeping track of it in the narrative... Maybe one of those close to the body slim bags like the one Desmond has in Assassin's Creed?

I've been thinking about my protagonist's appearance more last night

Although of note he's the "talks to ghosts and reads the nature of death" sort of necromancer, not the "cavorts with zombies and desecrates corpses" kind.

So why does your cute witch raise zombies? Especially enough that her shenanigans have murderhobos looking for her? Is this a lesbian romance between the necromancer and the warrior? Also, "Marble" warrior?
>>
>>43501393
Mine carries a messenger bag! It's essential for a budding necromancer. I like the description. He sounds adorable! Am I correct in saying i'm getting a lil Constantine vibe?

My girl was basically a taught necromancer. Her mother taught the arts and witchery to her. It's sort of a cultural thing with her race. They have a sort of...chaos magick outlook on such things. With the recent influx of other races, many of her race have started to adopt their views on it though which is why warrior girl comes in.

Marble warrior! Her race are all basically living marble sculptures. No romance between the two. You aren't the first to ask.
>>
>>43501558
I like messenger bags, but I'm really particular about details, and I wouldn't want to ask myself "how is he running with this bag and it not being awkward?"

>Am I correct in saying i'm getting a lil Constantine vibe?
I don't want to say "yes" because I haven't read but, like, half an issue of Hellblazer and probably saw the Constantine movie once years ago, but kind of. Modern day magical detective. Dresden Files and nWoD are my biggest inspirations. Currently reading the Greywalker series, which is probably a bit more in line with my character. A surly female detective gets beaten to death by a guy she was chasing for minor fraud, dies for two minutes, and now she can see ghosts and walk through the "Grey", a liminal world between the undead and the living and a place of magic.

>No romance between the two. You aren't the first to ask.
Darn. The world needs more cute lesbian romance fiction.
>>
>>43500620
>>43501124
>>43501393
>>43501558
Welp. There goes my plans to make a necromancer story.
>>
>>43502569

Do it anyway, clearly yours will be better.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 470x342) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 470x342
My science fantasy story won't meet the 50000 requirement because I'll keeps interfering.
>>
>>43502753
I didnt even describe it.
>>
>>43497567
> somehow

Kitchen sinkery. Throw too many good ingredients innabowl, and your result will still be shit.
>>
>>43502798

You haven't wrote it yet either.

Go.
>>
>>43496929
God help me I'm writing a scene about two characters whose names both start with X.
>>
>>43502569
Why care? I mean, it's not like most of these will ever get published. I mean, that's my end goal, but still. I'm also going to self-publish, so there are probably already forty or so necromancer books out there.
>>
>want to work on novel
>have 3 papers due by the end of the month
fuckin hell.

some advice for anyone writing: nanowrimo is more about reaching the word limit, not necessarily writing anything good. What I mean by this is:
I've found it's best to have a bare bones layout of your story. very vague ideas of chapters, story events, whatever. List them out, grab one, and write as much as you can. It doesn't have to be consistent or good or anything. Most importantly, you don't have to plan to use any of it in the actual book. Don't even consider this a rough draft, just one version of how events in the story could go. Consider it an alternate, shitty universe where you can see how things turn out there and adjust the real story however you want.

or don't. that's just how I've had success.
>>
>>43503097
It's more concerning that you have more than zero characters whose names start with X. From here one you already passed the point of no return, anon.
>>
>>43503517
To be far, one of them is supposed to be Chinesey (Xian), and the other one is named "Xeno" (after the Greek philosopher) so it's not as bad as it could be. But still. What am I doing with my life?
>>
>want to write a novel
>have to write erotic smut as a responsibility

Fuck.
>>
>>43493360
>novel
urban fantasy, Stephen King style. A group of kids challenge the devil to a race, under the conditions that if they win he has to grant them a wish, but if they lose he gets their souls. They all use their wishes to change their lives. Then they begin to start losing.

>what are you doing
procrastinating. also trying to figure out how to work in a flashback the least cringeworthy way.

flashback exposition!

>how far are you
I already worked on this novel last year, so I had 92k already. At 15k now.

>what are your plans
finish up the novel with lots of explosions and dead people. Maybe burn the town to the ground. We'll see.
>>
>>43503581
Eh, isn't Xian a surname in China? That's one X gone if they use each others first names!

>What am I doing with my life?
Hey, at least your character doesn't have the habit to cut syllables from names and make silly puns out of the leftovers.

>>43503791
> how to work in a flashback the least cringeworthy way
Jump in the middle of it and leave as soon as possible. Also is it 100% necessary?
>>
>>43503817
>is it 100% necessary?
I've basically written myself into a corner trying to get around doing the flashback, so yes. I'll try to keep it as short as possible, thanks for the advice!
>>
>>43503817
Unfortunately, it's Judge Xian (that's his title, not his first name) and they're in a formal setting, so using first names would be a grave breach of etiquette.
>>
>>43504031

Judge is an extremely reasonable address in a formal setting if you need some variety.
>>
>>43504126
Your Honour is an option too.
>>
>>43493360
I'm not going to finish because it's the middle of November and I am busy as all hell but I've resolved myself to writing at least a chapter.

So here's my question. Is vulgarity too awkward to use in writing? I have a character that just curses a lot bit it seems repetitive.
>>
>>43504299
If it already seems repetitive to you, better leave it out or tone it down a bit.
>>
How disappointing would be this ending?

>character wants to reach place X (Think North Korea) to rescue person Y
>whole book is about him gaining power and alliances, to even attempt it and have an escape option once he get's there
>book ends at the gates of X
>>
>>43504299
It's not bad to be vulgar, but it should serve a porpoise. Drop it in often enough to remind people "this guy likes the fuck word." It can be a handy character identifier. But don't Tarantino that shit just for fucks and buggery.
>>
>>43504388
Depends. Do we know it's going to be a series?

If it's not going to be a series, fuk u.
>>
>>43504388
If you're planning a sequel then it's a hype as fuck way to end
If you're not for whatever reason, yeah it's disappointing
>>
File: better_than_expected.jpg (40 KB, 509x385) Image search: [Google]
better_than_expected.jpg
40 KB, 509x385
>>43504388
You should have pic related on the last page.

Joking aside, I think I would at least expect to see some sort of post-rescue scene with Y.
>>
>>43504426
He's really supposed to be a very rude individual.
The kind that says fatass instead of thick and will insult someone who is dying.
>>
>>43504516
>>43504523
Yes, it's clearly meant to be a series but given how getting there and rescuing Y, is the biggest drive for the main character, ending the book with "... and now the real shit is about to start. Fuck you and wait for the sequel" seems rather risky.

>>43504553
But Y rescue will fail miserably ...
>>
>>43504755
Honestly, my biggest qualm is, if you're at the gates of Baron Von Evildick's castle, how much material have you got left to write your follow-up? Like... end it with him getting ready to march on Baron Von Evildick. Then your long-term goal remains the same (rescue Princess Tits) but your book-long goal has been resolved (recruit Captain Shitkicker, Prince Dualwield, and the Sheepfuck Barbarians), which sets you up nicely for your follow-up goal of "kill Baron Von Evildick and rescue Princess Tits." Then, who knows how long it will actually take to rescue Princess Tits and what your character will run into along the way.

You don't have to resolve every thread at the end of a book, but you should resolve a major thread.

Think of it like a TV series. Often the characters have an overarching goal (Burn Notice: Get Unburned) but also a season-long goal which is teased at the end of the previous season.
>>
50022 words I'm done I won woo.
>>
>>43505558
So, what are you gonna do now?
>>
>>43505558
Now rewrite it four times.

How the fuck do you write 8,000 words per day of actual material? Do you not have a job?
>>
>>43505292
I am bit worried about the material after they reach the place too, the events are roughly sketched and should easy fill 200 pages, so bit big too force into the previous book without making it the size of the Bible but not quite enough for own book. At least for now.

Just the book-long goal of recruiting Captain Shitkicker and friends seems not satisfying enough given how crazy the protagonist is about Princess Tits. Though guess it would be more of a problem with the book itself than the ending.

Another option would get inside the castle and reveal that Baron von Evildick was the bitch of Princess Tits all along and that she's in another castle, at a point where the protagonist couldn't turn back, so at least the plot line with the rescue got resolved … but then I'd need to find a good reason to keep the guy in the castle and a book defining twist for the sequel.
>>
>>43505738

Probably nothing. Maybe read it if I'm feeling masochistic. I need to change all the names still.

>>43505741

It was a roman a clef I just wrote down random things that came to mind from my life and then copy-pasted a 40 page dream. So it's like half cheating, but if I hadn't cheated it would only have taken me until the 13th.
>>
>>43505802
Well, if you have your protagonist start early in the book by going off all half-cocked and getting nearly killed for it, then the quest for more allies starts to make more sense.
>>
>>43506082
Damn, I think that's exactly what I've been missing, it seems so obvious in hindsight, thanks a lot, anon.

Now I only need to find a way to put him in such a situation without breaking the established characterisation. Should be fun.
>>
I'm using first person perspective in my story. A friend of mine told me I'm doing too much telling and not enough showing. He specifcally called out "Hearing him reel in his line, I watch out of the corner of my eye as he shuffles his entire body just to reach the bait."
Is this bad writing?
>>
>>43507471

Outside of context it's impossible to tell. Is every line like that? Then probably. In addition to providing more information, showing and not telling also establishes a slower pace imo, which lets you tell when you want things to happen fast (and show when you want fast things to happen in slow motion)
>>
>>43507471
That line doesn't really seem bad, to me. It definitely evokes an image. I mean, maybe your friend is right, but it's hard to say off of this one sentence.
>>
>>43507647
>>43507756
How's this?
In my dreams I return to the lake. Each night, in the tin dingy bobbing off that rocky coast, I fish with the old man. Though our backs are to each other, I imagine he sees the same wondrous sight: trees for miles, those scattered islands with their rocky coasts, and that beautiful, unforgettable lake. Hearing him reel in his line, I watch out of the corner of my eye as he shuffles his entire body just to reach the bait. I’m ready to help him if he has trouble. There’s normally no need to worry, but I do all the same. The woman who calls me Break, her voice rings out from our dock hidden amongst the trees startling the old man. He turns a bit too suddenly and a bit too quickly, and I have to catch him. A sigh of relief followed by a pat on the back is my reward. I still have to row us back to shore, of course. Up on the dock she’s waiting for us waving and smiling. She’s beautiful as ever. I throw her the line and she ties up the boat. Helping the old man would come next, but he pushes us away as we try to help him; he proves he doesn’t need our assistance still. As I put one foot onto the dock, the boat moves back from underneath my other foot. I lose my balance. She catches me. How she supports my weight let alone pulls me up, I still don’t know. All the same, she rescues me and embraces me. She’s warm and loving. I want this moment to last forever.
>>
>>43507647
> showing and not telling also establishes a slower pace
Not always.

Saying "he was sad" instead of going with "despair took the blood out of his cock" would be slower but dialogue would be an example where the things characters tell each other is actually "show" and can convey precise information faster.

"Maaan, that's some good stuff", shows us more about a character and does it faster than writing: "Josh was a pothead. He enjoyed the quality of his weed."
>>
>>43507876
>that beautiful, unforgettable lake
COULD use more show.

> She’s beautiful as ever.
COULD use more description, since it's not clear what makes her beautiful.

>and embraces me. She’s warm and loving
Now this would be a great moment to go deeper in detail and show what makes her hug so warm and loving.

Though since the example is a dream, your choices don't seem too bad.
>>
>>43507876
Well, you aren't a bad writer, so you shouldn't really worry too much about some minor criticism from a friend. Definitely keep trying to add more "show" when you can, but it's not a major problem with your writing, and what you have already gives me a really good feeling of the place you're describing.

Keep up the good work.
>>
>Novel
A warchief of one of the dozens of clans rises to power and seeks out all the metal on the island. Silver spoons, tin cans, iron nails, it doesn't matter, if it's metal it's metal and therefore his. A young woman returns from hunting in the woods to find her village being attacked, and unable to fight an army, flees back into the woods. Years later, she is found and is invited to join the resistance.
>What are you doing?
Sitting at work, shitposting from my phone in an empty sign-in desk that hasn't been used since yesterday.
Writing something people care about.
>How far are you
I only have 3k because this week is hell, with group projects and 11 hour days. I opened up on day 1 with 2k though, and I want to continue.
>What are your plans?
I plan to spend a lot of my weekend behind a keyboard.

Can I just say that if someone is waiting for you to write, it comes out much, much easier.
>>
File: necromancer.jpg (69 KB, 300x415) Image search: [Google]
necromancer.jpg
69 KB, 300x415
Writing a series of short stories about what is essentially an evil party who sack a village, raid a dungeon and a third part which I can't find an overall theme for.

I'm trying do the evil as tastefully as possible but I feel like readers might prefer if I went chaotic stupid with it.
>>
>>43507876
You use way too many periods. Use more commas dude.
>She's as beautiful as ever.
Why is she beautiful? There are ridiculous amounts of standards of beauty, from the lowest "she knows my name :D" to "hello my middle name is 'Impossible To Please'."
>beautiful, unforgettable lake
Same as above.
>>
Man, planning and plotting are hard.

Especially for a mystery.

Anyone have any good advice? Or how to work out the details? I really want a website that tells me a good overview of existing mystery novels and what the clues and solution are.
>>
>>43510109
- any plot seems simple and easy to follow because you know how it ends. the reader doesn't
- chekov is your friend
- coincidence for getting people intro trouble is good
- coincidence for getting people out of trouble is bad
- being vague in order to continue the mystery is bad. what you want are red herrings, which misdirect attention.

I've never tried to write mystery, that's just what I know of suspense in general.
>>
>>43510382
"Coincidence for getting people out of trouble is bad" is one of my problems. I'm trying to connect my killer to my victims (and subsequently to get the protagonist to know who they are) and having trouble making it feel reasonable instead of coincidental.
>>
>>43510445
It could be in the way the encounter is structured? Getting let off the hook isn't always "getting out of trouble". The killer being forced to flee before offing the victim/protag isn't an "Oh wow, I lucked out!" moment, it's an "OH shit, now he knows ME, now." One emphasizes freedom. The other emphasizes being moved from 'mildly annoying' to 'next in line'.

Alternatively (if I'm missing the point): What is your killer's motivation, really? From my limited memory, a common reason for the killer to be caught is because they make a simple mistake at a critical moment. Not an "oh I forgot to clean blood off my collar" mistake, but more along the lines of picking a target that DOESN'T fit their pattern, allowing the investigator(s) to triangulate who the killer is by comparing overlapping "reasons to kill person X".

e.g. The PI's no-name snitch gets offed. The snitch had no real relation to the killer or victims, other than having some information (coincidence got the snitch into trouble). There's only a handful of people who knew the snitch snitched to the PI, (which means the killer knows who the PI is, as well. At this point it isn't coincidence that got the PI into the killer's sights - he knows).

Other examples I can think of for the killer "slipping up" are things like calling cards or signature methods, because ego or habit got the best of the killer.
>>
>>43508769
>readers might prefer if I went chaotic stupid with it
Which would YOU prefer?

Also, do the members of this evil party have motivation for their "evil" acts? How are you framing things to make them tasteful?
>>
Wrote myself into the corner on page one. My two-man-party meet begging children, it was mostly a scene to create a feeling for the world but now I am stuck.

>it's too cliche to give the children money
>it makes them look bad if they don't do it
They do have more than enough cash, so can't avoid it with that excuse.
>>
>>43505558

I feel bad about this now. I'm not sure there's a single redeeming point to what I wrote.
>>
>>43511026

Have someone interact with the kids in a way that draws them away before the matter can be resolved.
>>
>>43511026
>Giving money to people asking for money is cliche
Don't worry about what's cliche and isn't. Cliche is only bad when it's used as a crutch instead of actually developing the world and characters. So, instead, worry about what the characters would do.

>>43511029
>I wrote
There's your redeeming point.
But seriously, even if you honestly think it's 99% shit, there's 1% worth salvaging. Think about what inspired you to write it in the first place.
>>
>>43511170

I wrote it seeking catharsis, but I didn't get any.
>>
>>43511026
Have the children be arrested?
>>
>>43510826
Here's my elevator pitch:
>A transgender detective skilled in necromancy tries to track down a jealous murderer using ghosts to pick off members of a hedge magic support group.

Basically this girl who was kind of abused by her parents is killing a group of smalltime mortal occultists (as opposed to True Magic, since this is basically me ripping off World of Darkness and there's a difference between mortal occultists and Mages) because they have lives that she wishes she had. She was all set to just be a sad person wallowing in self-loathing, but ANO OTOKO came and gave her a ritual that she's using to control a ghost. She's kind of unhinged, but she feels like she's getting payback.

I'm thinking that the girl's parents also hired the detective, to find her. They don't care for cavorting with spirits and witchcraft, but they're WASPy and need to keep up appearances and he's a detective who's involved with "those things".

Other complications include a rival Mage who's big and dumb and thuggish who's not really clued in on the case thinking that the detective is the one who's behind the murders. He tries to confront the detective in typically violent fashion. And the fact that ghosts are being a bit unruly lately due to all the ghost activity.

The third case is of course that the detective is tasked by his mage bosses to find an artifact. The artifact turns out to be key to the ritual that's being used (he has to research the artifact to learn this, it's not something they know right off the bat).
>>
>>43511273
What are you seeking respite from?
Why do you feel you haven't reached it?
What demons must your pained soul excise?
I write for catharsis myself, so I imagine not getting the fulfillment you sought is only adding to the frustration.

>>43511409
The artifact feels very much like a tipping point for the story.
How does the detective handle being tasked to find the artifact? The cases (I assume) appear disjointed at first glance. Does he consider the official assignment a hassle?
The big, dumb, thug-mage feels like a good chance for a broment between brains and brawn, or a tragic collateral damage waiting to happen.
How much do the parents really care for their daughter? Or do they care more about appearance than anything else? Why hasn't the girl done anything against them with her ghost? Does the girl's jealousy expand as the story progresses, from general "they have what i want" to "they have something I don't"?

Sorry for all the questions. Just stream of thought that I thought might help. Have you tried doing a web of all the characters, noting what the characters know about each other and how they treat each other? You have a fair bit established already and that might help identifying what gears are ready to be put into motion.
>>
I remember stumbling upon a collaborative wiki/index where people were working on various random generators for writing, naming, and flavor purposes.
The general look of the site was very similar to the design of /tg/'s own wiki, 1d4chan.org .
Could someone please help me find it again?
>>
>>43512206
Seconded
>>
>>43511666
>The artifact/official assignment
Honestly, I'll admit that's my newest plot element and I'm still working on how to work it in. He doesn't mind getting official assignments. His job in an official capacity for Mages is basically to find or take back difficult and dangerous items. He's got the job (which is looked down on, because it's basically magical Repo) because his mentor was a 'bad guy'. Not outright evil, but questionable. The kind of guy who made people suspicious because he didn't go by the book and stayed on the fringes. Hayden didn't even know about the broader magical society until after his mentor left.

>The thug
A broment might be nice, but it's the kind of thing that will happen down the line if ever. Later stories in the series. He kind of hates Hayden because he feels like the boss of the magical museum/storage place favours him for some reason (the reason: He's not an asshole like Burr) and because he hated Hayden's mentor.

>Do they care about their daughter?
Honestly? No, not really. They're meant to be unsympathetic, specifically so that the killer can be sympathetic.
>Why hasn't she done anything to them?
She's more or less forgotten/ignored them. But I'm thinking her dad is gonna die.

Her jealousy is basically that these people in the little book club have nice happy lives where they're in control of their magic and (while it's still secret) they have people who accept them. Clarice only had her family and they abused her for being a ̶l̶e̶s̶b̶i̶a̶n̶ witch. She's basically shut away her power before all this murder business started up. She was trying to go to the group, but she was still kind of an outsider and stopped participating and left. Then along comes THAT MAN and is all "hey, wouldn't you like what they have? All you have to do is MURDER THEM AND STEAL THEIR POWER".
(Basically his whole thing is that he's testing out magical shit for some greater purpose that I don't even know yet)

Also, questions always help me.
>>
>>43493360
I can't write but this is a cheap hobby so I;m trying. This is about 600 words of shitty shit.

http://pastebin.com/gjArhAK2
>>
>>43513581
I haven't read it over yet but it's straight from my text document.

I can improve it as is a bit but it's pretty indicative of my style as is there. Awkward transitions from exposition to narration and negatively mimilistic writing between dialogue.
>>
>>43512879
That's the only reason he was hired?
>>
>>43513809
I assume you mean hired for the artifact recovery. Technically he was assigned it, not necessarily hired.

And he's the guy who's tasked with doing that kind of magical Repo thing because that's where they put him because he's new, suspicious, and his teacher was a renegade. So they stick him with the job no one wants to do because most assignments are either dangerous or people hate you for taking their shit.
>>
>>43513898
That sounds like an important fucking job though. Especially since he could be hoarding the stuff he takes secretly.
>>
>>43514024
>Especially since he could be hoarding the stuff he takes secretly.
Yeah, but then you're just one guy and they know who you are.

And it's important, sure, but it's also the kind of job where you're liable to get shot or blow yourself up by accident playing with something that's dangerous and potentially unstable. I mean, it's basically "nuclear device collector". Yeah, you can hoard them all, but you'll probably blow yourself up.
>>
>>43514048
And if he snaps what's to stop him from using that on innocent people.
>>
>>43513581
>>43513606
I liked it. Has a dystopian vibe to it, which i'm a sucker for.
>>
>>43514106
The rest of the organization.

I mean, put into the Mage terms that I'm intentionally obfuscating so that ̶W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶W̶o̶l̶f̶ ̶ ̶C̶C̶P̶ ̶ ̶P̶a̶r̶a̶d̶o̶x̶ doesn't sue me, he's a Censor for the Mysterium. Sure, he could potentially use the artifacts that he's meant to recover. But that just means that someone else is going to come after him. Just because he's the one doing it doesn't mean he's the only one capable of doing it. It just means he's expendable.
>>
>>43514378
It stills sounds like a bad idea.

If I had this cunt I couldn't trust I wouldn't send him out into the field. He'd be filing papers or getting me my coffee.
>>
>>43511666
How do you remind yourself you're writing for catharsis?
>>
>>43514406
Yeah, but then you'd have someone you can trust going after things that could get them killed.

I mean, who are you going to send to recover the Deadly Object of Doom from a disgruntled postal worker? The guy who you know can probably get it safely but if he gets his head blown off you don't really mind... or James Bondage who is the best agent you've got and it would really suck if he got his head blown off by a postal worker? I mean, I'd rather send the expendable guy and if that guy decides to go mad with power, then you send your Top Man.
>>
>>43514467
I'd send a trained guy who is doing the job because he's broke as fuck.

In all organizations there exists a middle ground. And what good is a top agent if he isn't being used.
>>
>>43514373
Well the writing only gets worse.

But it is supposed to be vaguely dystopian. They live on a floating city and it gives the government quite a bit of power.
>>
>>43514513
He is being used. He's being used on more important things than recovering a bomb. You don't send your top agent on what might be anything from suicide mission to cake walk.
>>
>>43514451
My cathartic writing takes the form of me venting and puking all over paper, to put it one way. It's not about reminding myself that I'm writing for catharsis, but that I need to not censor myself when writing. Often I'll begin writing about what is on my mind and how I feel about those thoughts. From there it spirals into examining those emotions and seeking their source. For me, it's all about finding clarity, so that things don't remain nebulous and overwhelming. By writing everything down I can reread it, and that somehow lessens or quantifies the issue I'm facing. It puts it into a tangible form I can manipulate.

The cathartic writing needs to resonate with me. If it feels "off" somehow, it's because I was writing how things should have been, or could be, or how others see it, or any other multitude of options that aren't actually what is bothering me. Even if I know what I'm writing is stupid, or wrong, or selfish - I put it down. Once it's on paper (or in the word processor) it's not in me any more. Or if it is, it's been picked out and ready for removal. For absolute pretentiousness, I shall quote Hemingway:

"There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."
>>
>>43514817
Then why not send a middle agent. Or lower agent or just someone who can be trusted.
>>
>>43493360
Several things. My muse is fickle at best.

A story about a Khajiit reincarnated from an Orc, joining the legion and then trying to find his old family. Got about 5000 words, he's just about to join the Legion.

A dnd torturer devil with a twist telling an injured man he owes a debt his history, and why he saved him. Got under 1k for that one.

Aaaand the story of a tyrannical Frost Wolf in a DnD world as, while trying to preserve his ego and pack in the face of an incursion of Orcish monster slayers, he accidentally starts an empire.
>>
>>43515059
Third one is at 8000 or so words.
>>
I've planned out 15 chapters and written one. I wanna get things planned out before I actually start writing it.

Not doing it for NaNoWriMo, because I don't want to rush to do it in a month, but it feels fun actually telling people you're working on a novel without being a snooty douche.
>>
>>43515437
What type of planning do you do? You say you planned out 15 chapters, so I assume you did things such as title and content. There's more than though right?
>>
>>43493360
This premise is what I will submit for both the OP contest and the current Writers of the Future quarter:
coldbricksglow.wordpress.com

I need to gather many people's logic trains on how they would handle the Confidant's Curse, with me as the person about to die. This is to gain insight on how any given person could adapt.

Even when I've finished the novel, I plan to take it to all kinds of other media. Especially a game and an audiobook.
>>
>>43515577
>Writers of the Future
>established by L. Ron Hubbard
Why
>>
>>43515577
That is a good premise. I found myself immersing into it fairly quickly. The wonders of what could be or what could have been fills my mind. Endless possibilities, but which is the one that'll take me out of my infinite loop and be my death? It's a joy to think about and really solidifies my position in life when I think about it enough. Would I desire such an end as presented in the prompt?
>>
>>43515620
A contest is a contest.

Besides, I'm open to all people's input. Even if they're detached from society. Heck, especially so.
>>
>>43514848
I feel like you're assuming they trust the character less than they do. It's also not like they can't stop someone in this position if they turn out to be corrupt.
>>
>>43515806
So why have him in a job he's not suited for?
>>
>>43516034
Because he is suited for it.

Think of it this way. It's a test. A trial by fire. He either does it well and, hey, someone is picking up dangerous materials. Or he fails and dies or goes evil and needs to be killed. "Good thing it happened to that new guy".

I feel like you're seeing "Repossess dangerous magical objects" as something more like... gathering up nukes.
>>
>>43515577
Seems to me the only hard part from his point of view is figuring out whose life he has to save at the end of the day. Observing what kills them should be relatively easy after that, as would preventing or delaying it.

Or if it's impossible to prevent Because Reasons and he has to go for the befriending angle, I would suggest not turning up cloaked in crimson with an enigmatic aura. Because being a spooky weirdo doesn't seem generally conductive to making buddies.
>>
>>43516111
He's suffered quite a few sets of loops by the time he comes around to you. Probably gets a kick out of you dissing his tastes in clothing the first time around, just to see how well you would adjust to the bizarre.
>>
>>43516109
A small man who dresses nicely repossessing magical objects.
>>
>>43516343
More or less. It's not like there are a hundred dudes lined up for the job.
>>
>>43515470

Title, content, characters, foreshadowing stuff, themes, the works
>>
>>43511666

Oh great dread spirit of the void, I seek respite from psychosis and highly embarrassing, largely dragon related delusions, as well as the memories of the heavy childhood abuse that caused the break. And then I guess throw in every stupid things I've ever done.

But yeah, crazy doesn't go away just because you write it down. The past is immutable. There is no true narrative to life, only what we impose over the top, but this is unsharable which isolates us from each other, etc.
>>
I've been writing stuff. Not well but words are on paper.

Here is my question. Would you guys prefer awkward exposition or awkward minimalism?
>>
>>43519255
I'd prefer awkward exposition, because then it can be tidied up later and you've already explained what needs to be explained so you can move on to writing other parts. Just make sure that you do actually go back and tidy it up.
>>
Since I've gotten nothing done, after lunch I need to do this:

http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/snowflake-method/
>>
>>43520953
>writing a novel is easy
What a shitty start.
>>
>>43521059
Stephanie Meyer did it.
>>
>>43521086
And if given the chance I would push Stephanie Meyer into a cold lake.
>>
>>43521086
I don't know how this would refute anything.

Who is this?
>>
>>43521123
>Who is this?
She wrote Twilight.

>>43521103
That wouldn't change the fact that she wrote a novel. Several. She's even now rewriting that novel with genderswapped characters.
Which is kind of a legitimately interesting idea. Even if their names are Beau and Edyth.
>>
>>43521172
I know, but it would give me some small satisfaction over what she has wrought.
>>
>>43521103
why? because she wrote a few bad books?
>>
File: latestnanostats.png (32 KB, 914x445) Image search: [Google]
latestnanostats.png
32 KB, 914x445
Shut up about Meyer and post stats.

Hoping to hit at least 4k words today, finding the count increases easiest when I employ dialogue.
>>
File: snip.png (34 KB, 919x441) Image search: [Google]
snip.png
34 KB, 919x441
Not looking good, though it's not as bad as it seems. I basically skipped the first four days, so the words per day is really double what it's showing. I've also been pretty distracted for the last few days because of things happening. Those things stop happening after tomorrow, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get at least to 1000 words per day for the rest of the month. I'm gonna keep writing, but I've pretty much given up on winning unless I get some crazy bursts later on.
>>
>>43522758
What's your technique for doing dialogue? I struggle with it sometimes because I'm not sure whether to have full-blown out information asking each other or just get the essentials.
>>
>remember about this when I see a thread on day 3, but I´m busy as hell
>day 4 I´m taking care of my step children
>day 5 I get a fuckload of work. I´m self employed, gotta roll with the punches. No time for writing
>day 6 the fucking cats learnt to open the fucking pot and spent the night nibbling on my food and waking me up. Didn´t notice until sunrise. Spent the whole day with a massive headache plus still some work from the day before
>day 7 girlfriend demands attention
>tomorrow it´s her brother´s birthday

Looks like it´s gonna be hard mode this year.
>>
>>43524320
As always with November.
>>
>>43519255
Minimalism all the way. Just give some hints, to spark the readers mind.
>>
>>43523987

Well, I don't know about technique but I try to strike a balance between info dumps and the essentials. Most people don't start a casual conversation with the intention of getting a whole lot of information and most people on the receiving end don't like to give up everything they know either, so unless one character is actively briefing the other the conversations are mainly small talk or banter that helps flush out the personalities and interests of all involved.

Oftentimes actual information doesn't even get passed along, just suggestive tidbits for the reader to piece together.

If you really want a character to give an expositive infodump, get them to start talking about themselves or maybe complaining about their job. That's what I just wrote: a shopkeeper bitching about the decline in his business since traders stopped coming in from the east while one of the MCs played with electronic products in the store, displaying his interest in and awareness of technology.

Basically, remember that the reader wants to know everything already if they're invested in your story but you don't have to and absolutely shouldn't give it to them all at once. You'll write a lot more dialogue and your characters will grow along with your word count.
>>
File: Hyperion_cover.jpg (56 KB, 230x400) Image search: [Google]
Hyperion_cover.jpg
56 KB, 230x400
>>43504755
>>43504388

That's exactly how this ended and you see that thing on the cover? That little blotch? That's a fucking Hugo.

The sequels were increasingly garbage, sadly. But if you make the trip worth it and you've got the ability of Dan Simmons, you can maybe pull it off.
>>
>>43524605
What's the ability of Dan Simmons?
>>
>>43524616

To plagiarize/allude to the structure of the Canterbury Tales and rewrite it as sci-fi full of literary references and gory action scenes.

Also he can do that "u" thing with his tongue.
Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.