[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you hide your hobby /tg/? Whenever someone sees my collection,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: Militarum Tempestus.jpg (72 KB, 454x640) Image search: [Google]
Militarum Tempestus.jpg
72 KB, 454x640
Do you hide your hobby /tg/?

Whenever someone sees my collection, they always get weirded out and and ask why I have little plastic men and tanks, and why i'm painting them. It's hard to explain, because whenever I say it's just a hobby they get kind of judgmental anyways.
>>
You kidding? My horribly unkempt modelling station is about six feet from my front door.
>>
>>43492654
Makes me sad that 20 of these guys were used for fluff canon fodder just to make one character seem oh so much more powerful.
>>
>>43492654
no. im proud of them, and when i was teased about them last i said its toy soldiers for adults.
an ex did see one of my little female figures, though, and ask me flat out if i got off on them?
i may have stumbled and answered no its just a game but yeah i do get off on the tiny pewter tits.
>>
>>43492654
Most normies I encounter including my parents were impressed at the craftsmanship and the paint job. Must be doing something right?
>>
File: 13605.jpg (70 KB, 408x552) Image search: [Google]
13605.jpg
70 KB, 408x552
>>43492654
>they always get weirded out
>they get kind of judgmental anyways.
so your friends are shallow normie douchenozzles? serves you right.
>>
>>43492719
Lol, are you me? Much to my wife's chagrin.
>>
>>43492654
I don't really hide it, but if I'm expecting company I'll tidy it up, so it doesn't look like there is quite so much of it as if it's sitting out everywhere.

My Imperial Assault minis and related stuff all fit in one big tacklebox. But my RPG books do take up quite a bit of space.

I have cleared out a lot of stuff, though. Magic and Pathfinder especially.
>>
Painting toy soldiers is neither a new unknown hobby nor a strange one. Do what makes you happy you only go around once. The older you get the less you will care what anyone thinks.
>>
>>43492654

I hide it, and it's the right choice. I work in a high income, high workload, high pressure environment where appearances matter. All my friends, acquantainces and colleagues who don't do /tg/ stuff think it's nerdshit and a waste of money. Telling them I'm into it wouldn't make any positive difference, it would just make them look down on me.
>>
>>43493582
they sound like shit people desu
>>
>>43493582
Garbage people with Garbage views.

This isn't american psycho, anon. If you are gracious enough to invite a person into your home, one hopes they are worthwhile enough to not be shallow cunts.

Tl:dr
Don't invite the scum you work with into your home, I certainly don't.
>>
>>43493600
>desu

>>>/a/
>>>/Reddit/
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>43493600
>>43493708
>not knowing about the new filters
>>
>>43493703

It's rather unavoidable. Everyone entertains their colleagues informally once in a while, or has a dinner party now and then. It'd be weird not to.

But I wasn't talking simply about physically hiding my /tg/ stuff, rather also not revealing it in conversation.
>>
>>43493708
>being this new
gee whiz

>>43492654
I don't really tell people about it but if it comes up I won't lie about not doing it
>>
>>43492654
I'm proud of my work and I put them on display. If anyone asks I tell them it's one of my hobbies.

Seems to have worked a charm as my PHD wielding female roommate got into miniatures because she liked mine so much.
>>
Not really. I mean, I don't talk about it to people I know aren't interested but I'm not ashamed of it.

I remember one time a girl in one of my classes caught me shuffling some of my WoD sheets around in my backpack and she made a light lolnerd joke but she was just flirting
>>
>>43493732
New filters?! I love filters. What was he trying to say that got relplaced with desu?

Faggot?
Senpai?
Kek?
>>
I hide my shit every month when the mexican guy comes to spray bug poison all over my house. The first time he saw it was the worst non-verbal human interaction I have ever had.
>>
>>43492654
Since when has painting been an unusual hobby? I think you should get better acquaintances if they judge you for this kind of shit.
>>
>>43494155
F
A
M

senpai senpai
>>
>>43494155
Damn. Not those.
Senpai = f*a*m
Kek = c*u*c*k

Nigger?
>>
>>43494180
O h wait I think it's desu

T
B
H

F
A
M
>>
kek
senpai
>>
Tbh senpai?
>>
File: Nerds.gif (2 MB, 340x308) Image search: [Google]
Nerds.gif
2 MB, 340x308
>>43492654
Between being an LEO, a shooter, a hunter, toy soldiers, children's cardgames, play sword fighting, chinese cartoons, and uncounted other things I've grown very used to picking and choosing what interests people think I have.

I'm hardly hiding it, but I'm not volunteering either.
>>
>>43494155
oh really senpai?
>>
really senpai?
we are trying out wordfilters now?

baka

thats pretty dumb desu

ya keks
>>
>>43493019
>normies

If ever a word needed to die

>>43494169
I laughed too hard at this

>>43494393

I feel you. I don't think /tg/ers should be ashamed of this stuff. But they should also have the self-awareness to know not everyone wants to hear them go on and on about their magical elf adventures.
>>
File: 1439512314630.jpg (295 KB, 2000x1001) Image search: [Google]
1439512314630.jpg
295 KB, 2000x1001
One time I was having a one-night stand with someone from OKCupid. On my night stand by my bed, keeping silent vigil, was a post of about 50 cadian conscripts.

her leg swept over the cadians.

I screamed at once, "WATCH THE MODELS!".

Horrified, she looked at me like she had killed a pet.

We continued, and my poor conscripts haven't spoken to me since.
>>
>>43492943
Who cares about the opinion of such weak minded people, though? Like, that is on her for thinking you get off on the on female model out of how many others. That is just dense. You wouldn't want to be with that sort of person in the long run anyway. If that is what they think and react to something like that, imagine real issues in your relationship?
>>
>>43493053
Where is that camel model from?!
>>
>>43492654
The type of people that are negative about are the type of people I do not want around anyway.

Consider your hobby and asshole\bitch detector.
>>
>>43495493
>things that never happened
>>
>>43494155
s\mh = baka
t\bh = desu
f\am = senpai
c\uck = kek
c\ucked = keked

Also, just for Halloween, "SJW" was filtered to "SPOOKY SCARY SKELETON".
>>
>>43493582
This, I'm actually cool at my school, I enjoy the power that comes with it and don't want to see it lessen because of my miniatures. I also pretend to like cars and rap music.
>>
>>43495624
It was horrible sex. I'm not proud of myself.
>>
>>43495930

>I'm actually cool at my school
>>
I'm really selective about it. Telling people you are into 28mm scifi wargaming miniatures is one step below sex offenders. Since sex offenders have managed to penetrate a woman and you haven't.

In all seriousness, I don't blab about anything to people who don't care about a topic. That's rude.

I'm happy to geek out at the FLGS, where talking about painting techniques and making terrain for 12 hours doesn't make me look like a serial killer.
>>
>>43495988
I am though, I'd rather live a friend-filled lie, than a lonely truth.
>>
>>43492654
Yes.
I got tired of explaining to people about "those games you need rulers and protractors for" and "those paper games where you role play a wizard".

It's easier just to hide my stuff.

>"Why are they even your friend anon?"
They are my friends because we share many other interests. Tabletop games is not one.
>>
>>43492654

The fuck? Are you all fucking kids or just autistic, socially awkward manchildren?

When people see my shit strewn all over my worktable and ask what it is, I go "They're toys." That's all it fucking takes. You don't have to fucking explain yourself, what are you some little beta bitch? You come in my house and start questioning my fucking shit and mouthing off to me about what I spend my fucking money on? Really?

Except nobody's ever done that because I'm not some little faggot doormat that people step all over on. Maybe you should get the rest of your fucking life together and then people won't care about your hobbies, because "Oh, he paints little toy soldiers" won't even fucking register on the radar unless you're some wimpy stuttering faggot.
>>
>>43496057

What are you like 15? Or do you go to a college where people give a crap about street cred?

Honestly bro if you're charismatic and put together enough so that your classmates think you're cool then no one is going to shun you if it's revealed you're into tiny plastic space soldiers. This isn't a 90s TV show.

I've met frat bros who were in to D&D. No one cares if you're into some kind of fringe interest. They do care, however, if you're obnoxious about it.
>>
>>43496129

When I was in college 4-8 years ago and Pokemon Black was just released the Pokemon popularity re-exploded and we all re-lived our elementary school love for Pokemon, like when the anime and card game had first came out.

College kids give no fucks. Walking around with that dumb HG/SS shaker thing too.
>>
>>43495588
It's a Junker from Urban War.
>>
>>43493582
those people sound like a bunch of fucking worthless cunts
>>
>>43496282

Welcome to white collar environments I guess? What he's describing isn't surprising. Most firms do not approve of their upper employees having frivolous hobbies. If you're not at work you should be wining and dining clients, going over stuff from work, etc. You should be getting back home in the middle of the night, having a stiff drink, then passing out, and repeat until you're dead while the company reaps profits.

I can't imagine a single company that requires you to wear $500 suits and a tie to work every day not frowning upon mentioning anything /tg/ related.
>>
>>43495834
That's amazing desu senpai
>>
File: image.jpg (226 KB, 1024x758) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
226 KB, 1024x758
>>43492654
My brother Nick and I used to hang out all the time. We live 5 minutes from each other. When I started collecting and playing Infinity and Horus Heresy, he got pissed. He said he felt like he was meeting someone new, and that it was gay, etc.

We talk maybe once a month or less for the past 3 years now. He hasnt been to my house once since I first showed him my setup for painting + modeling, and my first dozen or so models.

At first I was kinda bummed out and felt guilty. Now I have an unhealthy amount of animosity toward him. Its so far gone that I dont ever want to be close with him again.

Life is fucked up.
>>
>>43492654
>hiding it

Pfffff please. I don't go out of my way to mention it though. Usually my friends don't know about it till they walk in and see me painting something.

And instead of acting ashamed or trying to hide it, I just act normal and go about my business. You know why? Because it's a normal hobby. Usually I have something finished nearby they can check out, they look at it, ooh and ah, ask a few questions, and that's it. I usually crack jokes about how nerdy it is and then ask them about their hobbies.

This stuff is only weird if you make it weird.

Or if you play chaos, that's gonna get you weird looks regardless
>>
>>43492654

What are you, 15?
Tell them they're for a tabletop wargame. Most people'll react with, "Oh," or "What war game?" If they're rude and hassle you about it, boot them from your place and don't invite them back.

Easy.
>>
>>43496104
Calm down dude, everyones situation is unique.
>>
>>43492654
then why let people into your house?
i think you should only let those whom are into your same hobbies in not normies.
>>
>>43496436

That kind of attitude is why you have problems to begin with. Quit being a fucking beta.
>>
>>43496104
This anon get's it.
>>
>>43496104
This.

It's less polite than I'd put it but it hits the nail on the head.

Nobody I talk to really cares that I play pretend with small figures and grid mats. Tabletop is just one facet of many. Sure I dedicate a lot of time to it, but it doesn't consume me, and people that find out haven't reacted negatively at all because even if they're not into it I make up for it by having other interests and not stuttering to explain myself like a 14 year old caught fucking Swiss cheese.
>>
>>43495834
Neat.>>43496104
This anon knows whats up.
If you are invited/allowed into my house, that means I trust you to not judge me or my lifestyle for whatever reason, be it that you seem based, or just nice in general, or that you have a similar lifestyle. If you then start to judge me or my lifestyle you can go back outside, because I just lost said trust in you.
>>
Nah. I just say "This is my nerd stuff" and if they're interested I elaborate, and if they're not then we either work or fuck.
>>
>>43496451
Im not a beta. Just politely trying to point out that your badass tone isnt going to get through to a whole lot of guys on /tg/. and Im probably the furthest thing from a beta in this thread. I just dont flex on /tg/, cuz thats a fucking beta move itself.
>>
File: 1445977815600.jpg (21 KB, 255x234) Image search: [Google]
1445977815600.jpg
21 KB, 255x234
>>43496635

You're the only one who seems to have a problem with what that guy said.

He is right you know. It's not that hard to just man up and tell people who ask what all that paint and plastic is for. Having a 40k army or a bunch of splat books in plain view isn't the same thing as having a sex dungeon or a mannequin collection and most people are aware of that. And if they can't help but conflate tabletop hobbies with sexually repressed and potentially dangerous manchildren then it's on them, not you.
>>
>>43496635
Replying was your mistake here
>>
>>43496635

Except you failed to do that too. You pointed out nothing, because even if everyone's situation is unique, the one thing in common here is that they're all being pushovers. Furthermore, you're offering nothing of worth so you might as well just stop posting.
>>
>>43494155
Oh? I have to try.

Senpai
Kek, keked, top kek, kekarious.
Tbh
baka
>>
>>43496635
>badass tone

Because yelling at a kid and telling him he's worthless is badass. You seem pretty in denial about your patheticness for all that butthurt and projection. Pretending to be some stoic sage on /tg/ is even more worthless than what you're complaining about.
>>
>>43496635
>Im not a beta

Then stop acting like one.
>>
>>43495493

I thought Tinder was for one night stands, not OkCupid. Is there like a booty call box you can check off for OkCupid?
>>
OP here, >>43494155 pretty much has it right, even if i'm only in college.

>Pre-Law
>Don't have roomate, he paid for it but never moved in so he's technically there
>Two desks, one is for work and other is for modeling
>Classmate comes in one day because I gotta get a book for a class or some shit
>"Anon, what are those things over there? Are those toys?"
>"Yeah pretty much, it's called wargaming."
>"Dude I like Star Wars too but isn't that a little far?"
>"Did you ever collect action figures? Kinda like that for me."
>"Yeah, I collected them when I was 10. Come on man, I don't want to see this."

Insecure about it ever since, I usually only paint at night and when I know no one is going to bother me. The problem is that i'm terrified that a professor or someone will find out, because then that hurts 'Networking' with other law students when someone tells them that anon plays with toys.
>>
>>43496800
>>43493582

Not even going to guess how I fucked that up.
>>
>>43496687
yup
>>
I'd rather not talk about my neckbeard hobbies so the chances to linking them to my virginity at 28 are less.
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 157x240) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 157x240
>>43496916

2 more years, and then...
>>
Srsly, /tg/, why do you asociate with so many shitty people? The "worst" i got it was when my roommates asked me to show them my "toy soldiers", and they later asked me if they could paint one of them.
>>
>>43496943
And then I'll go to Gensokyo.
>>
>>43496800
Man.
The.
Fuck.
Up.
It's not that hard to just say:"Man, if you don't want to see my hobby, just leave the room.".
>>
>>43496981

You gotta add "NIGGUH" to the end though and then open your eyes really wide and just sorta mug at them till they pussy out and leave.
>>
>>All these white collar tears.

I feel for you guys, I do, even though I've never been in your shoes, I understand being looked down upon for the hobby pretty well.

Then again, my sympathy curbs for you when you chose to work in that environment.
>>
File: RULES OF NATURE.gif (2 MB, 360x204) Image search: [Google]
RULES OF NATURE.gif
2 MB, 360x204
>>43496953

This. I was roommates with two full on fraternity bros and they thought I was some kind of badass for being able to run games and come up with characters and shit. I never blabbed on and on about it, but when I ducked out for game night they'd ask me where I was going and I'd chat for a bit about it. And then on some nights when we were just hanging out drinking we'd talk about it. One of them even said he'd tried D&D in high school but found it wasn't his thing, but that he wasn't going to judge me for liking it.

Going by this thread though you'd think half the people here were being bullied well out of college for liking paint tiny plastic stormtroopers. All we need now is someone lamenting how their interests are the reason those qt 3.14s still keep going for the alpha douches.
>>
X-Wing is a lot easier to explain than most hobbies. Just say "oh, it's a Star Wars game"
>>
>>43496953
>referring to Premium Wargaming Miniatures (TM) as "toy soldiers"
>daring to defile such valuable, expensive products with their roughshod painting technique

That guy sounded like a total dick.
>>
>>43496981
>>43496997

Here's the problem with that: While what he said did bother me pretty badly at the time, I realize the main problem is that I need to keep it hidden, since people WILL judge you, and in my Major you need to be friends with a lot of people. If my classmate acted like he did against it, I can only imagine what others may think of it. Moral of the story is never do Government or Law, or any white collar where you need a lot of judging assholes as friends.
>>
>>43497018
>OUTTAMYWAYNIGGA

Someone put a thug life edit for that shit
>>
>>43497057

I can sympathize but how did you not know that going into the field? It should have been obvious. Even in a casual setting or a liberal arts field you can sometimes get weird looks for the nerdier /tg/ hobbies
>>
>>43496800
>>43495930
>>43496320
There is a National Hobby Day or equivalent in most countries.

Make a Facebook post on your WIP, not going into details about it, but rather, filling the title post of the photos, or whatever, with corporate-marketing style language on the benefits of National Hobby Day.

You know what I'm talking about, that saccharine shit that has a strange aftertaste of mind-control toxin.

Also, how is your social media presence related to your job? I'm curious.
Additionally:

senpai senpai senpai senpai desu desu desu baka baka kek kek kek

This filter is the best thing that ever happened to 4chan.
>>
>>43497075
I simply didn't expect the disdain that he showed against it, it was as if I was doing something really wrong in my dorm. It made me realize that others could be like that, people I might need to get friends with.

>>43497092
My major is the reason that I actually don't use social media. If someone is interested in me and another guy for an internship, and they look over me and see something that might put them off while the other guy is 'normal'? I'm very paranoid about my future, and want to make sure that I don't do something fucked up that will hurt me. Call it beta, because it is. But the way that my family and classmate have reacted to it, I refuse to post it anywhere online that isn't anonymous (Which is why /tg/ is my safe haven I love you guys)
>>
>>43497133
What do you specifically do, by the way? I have some ideas for a solution for you but I need deets senpai.
>>
File: chaos uprising.jpg (172 KB, 1123x645) Image search: [Google]
chaos uprising.jpg
172 KB, 1123x645
>this thread
GAS THE NORMIES
BETA UPRISING NOW
>>
>>43497133

It's only beta if you act beta about it. Pretty sure the future CEOs and super millionaire bosses you'll be working for do or did the exact same thing you're doing, except they do it with confidence and because it's what needs to be done.

Nothing "beta" about giving up your hobby to feed your wife and children, for example. It's a mindset. And if people get butthurt because someone drops the B-word, that just means they're feeling some guilt at being called out on it.
>>
I love the idea of a bunch of pizza-delivery boys giving >>43497133 shit for having a decent career ahead of himself.

[/troll]

Honestly though, even applying forfood service work often leads to people asking to see your facebook. Ya gotta put your best foot forward.
>>
>>43497166

But the whole point of betas is that they are too beta to rise up...

You guys should try being omegas. Being omega is great, because you

ah forget it
>>
Legal Studies Major in undergrad. I was told at the very beginning to make as many connections as you can, because they definitely pay off when you've networked enough and are in Law School/Paralegal

>>43497184
I don't actually plan to give the hobby up, just hide it from plain sight. It's one of my only outlets to do what I like, and I love painting them even if i'm not that good at it.
>>
File: Worlds of Darkness.gif (306 KB, 300x212) Image search: [Google]
Worlds of Darkness.gif
306 KB, 300x212
>>43497166

Seems like over the past year vast herds of self-stylized betas have been migrating here.

I know this hobby has historically been favored by people without social graces but damn if the self-pity and toxicity towards those dirty normies (a word that really needs to get filtered next) hasn't been getting really bad lately.
>>
>>43497181
>>43497187
>>43497193

Jesus christ what the hell is with my linking today.
>>
>>43497163
>>43497203
FUCKING-
>>
>>43497193
Right now, keeping it hidden is probably your best bet, but once you pick a lawyer specialization (I forget what they call it) you'll have more options.

What were you thinking of for that thing I forget the name of?
>>
>>43497201
Normies should be filtered with replacing the rest of their post after with REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>43497239

I wish all these REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>43492654
I have way too much to hide. I have GW models/boxes in nearly every room of the house, and in my garage.

I haven't really seen anyone get too weirded out, then again, they normally react to the mounted swords and scottish heraldry in the entry first, so it's probably hard to get weirder from there.

Plus, most of my friends either currently do, or have played wargames themselves.
>>
>>43497229
Corporate is my biggest hope, but my state doesn't do specializations (that's what most people call it anyways anon don't worry). I figured once i'm actually in that most people won't give a shit, mostly because they won't have as much access to where I live.

I can also buy all the minis I want with a lawyer's pay
>>
>>43497262
>But I can't hide my warhammer because my closet has no room thanks to all the naked anime girl figures and body pillows!
>>
>>43497264
If you can get steady work with a politically progressive corporation who does at least 97% of their business over the internet (think Netflix), you can probably be more straightforward about it.

As for the in between-time, just keep your workspace clean, and if someone comes over and sees, the first thing you should do is what I do: In a reprimanding, parental voice, without looking up from what you're doing, say "Don't touch it."

They'll immediately associated pursuing the subject further or bringing it up with shame. It shifts the societal expectation on to them instead of you. They're expected to keep it to themselves, and THEY would be committing a social faux pas to continue acting in this manner.

If you're having a few guests over, corral them to the kitchen, dining room, or other similar, and don't set up your workstation in sight range of that.
>>
>>43496320
Fuck that. When I am home, I am at home. I am only at work when I am at work.

Then again, psychologists have this shit drilled into them throughout our training.
>>
>>43497360

Except employees in those fields aren't going to be visiting your home.
>>
>>43495930
>>
>>43497360

If you think no employee, especially those on salary, have had to do unpaid over time or bring work home with them, you're extremely naive.
>>
>>43497340

>In a reprimanding, parental voice, without looking up from what you're doing, say "Don't touch it."
>They'll immediately associated pursuing the subject further or bringing it up with shame

Not him, but if someone ever acted like that to me I'd be immensely put off. It's like, I'm not some ape who's gonna shuffle your shit around so why treat me like one before the subject's even broached? I don't even open someone's fridge without asking. All you do is come off as someone who takes his Imperial Fists or his Monster Manuals way to seriously.

And when someone gives you that kind of impression, that's when the stories start getting formed.

The best way to handle it is like any other hobby: treat it like a hobby. If they see it and ask about it, explain it in a cheerful way that shows it's just something you're into and not something you feel you have to defend or protect.
>>
>>43497340
I'm sure everything will be fine eventually, but for now I need to keep it hidden. When I have a home for myself I imagine that there will be a single room for hobbies, something out of the way of where everything else is. I won't be rude or demanding about it, but I just hope in the future if anyone sees it they won't judge, because I imagine i'll be a legal professional or still working towards it, and not a complete social fuckup like they might think most people who do that are.
>>
>>43497374
Lots of people do. And it is a terrible idea.

If you aren't being paid to do it, you shouldn't be doing it.

It is bad for you physically, it is bad for you mentally, and it just creates a cycle of expectations and exploitation.
>>
>>43497457

That's why you're fucking naive. Don't do it? You get fired. It's not easy to "just find another job" you idiot.
>>
>>43492654
No way in hell. My sister plays, one of my brothers thinks it's cool (but he'd rather put cash into his computer), the mother buys /tg/ relevant gifts. And anyone else I know that's aware think's its pretty cool, because they say they're so inept at art of any kind, it's amazing I can turn old credit cards and plastic recycling into things people buy from me.

Then again, the fact I am left handed is so fucking amazing to people, I might just be surrounded by those most easily impressed.
>>
>>43497365
Unless you work in rehab, or HR, or any of the corporate areas of the field.
>>
I used to, but then my cousins fiance, who was one of those 'cool guys'. You know fit as fuck, football player that shit, came in and saw me painting and got really into it.

He never bought any models or anything because he thinks its too fiddly and detail oriented for him but he thinks they're fucking awesome. Maybe one day he'll get over his fear of screwing up and start painting.
>>
>>43497470

Which this guy doesn't. It's law. Unless you guys are talking about something else in which case I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>43497463
In Australia, that is called "unfair dismissal". You can't be forced to work for free.
>>
>>43497387
If you're in a real sharktooth environment where social standing is everything, you have to put the fear of reprisal into people.
>>
>>43497464

>Then again, the fact I am left handed is so fucking amazing to people

Really? No one ever comments on that except the odd time my brother jokingly tells me he views left-handedness as a legitimate mental disability.
>>
>>43497487

1. Not everyone is in Australia.
2. Daily reminder that moot was right about Australians.
3. It's not unfair dismissal. He is not paid hourly. He's getting a constant salary to get his work done. If he can't finish it during work hours, he has to bring it home, otherwise he is not getting all his work done, so why would they keep him and pay him when he's not getting his work done? If it's "too much" work then they can just replace him with someone who CAN get it done/is willing to work extra hours.

Do you not even know what a fucking salary is? Even if he does get paid overtime that still changes nothing since that's either time away from home or paid work at home.
>>
>>43497508
My god, I get it every single time someone sees me write or draw anything for the first time. I just don't understand.
>>
>>43497521
>WHOA YOU'RE LEFT HANDED?
>But...why?
>>
>>43497520
>1. Not everyone is in Australia.
It's not our fault your laws are stupid.
But, it still doesn't change the psychological fact that it is bad for you.

>3. It's not unfair dismissal. He is not paid hourly. He's getting a constant salary to get his work done. If he can't finish it during work hours, he has to bring it home, otherwise he is not getting all his work done, so why would they keep him and pay him when he's not getting his work done? If it's "too much" work then they can just replace him with someone who CAN get it done/is willing to work extra hours.

Except the whole point was that some businesses expect their employees to have no social life, and be doing extra unpaid work at home, beyond their actual work. Which is retarded.

There is nothing wrong with catching up on work outside hours, if it's your own fault you are unable to get it done at work.

If you are literally given more work than is possible to do within your contracted work hours, and you get fired, that is unfair dismissal. It is also a series of stress injury worker's compensation cases waiting to happen (in countries with decent IR laws).
>>
File: 1383497707063.jpg (133 KB, 648x960) Image search: [Google]
1383497707063.jpg
133 KB, 648x960
>>43492783
Join the queue, buddy.
>>
OP heading to bed. Law sucks. God bless you anons.
>>
>>43497470
>>rehab

Why are you bringing patients to your home?

>>HR

Don't see how this applies.

>>Corporate Management & Finance

Anyone who willingly takes a job that requires you to host dinner parties and/or entertain clients after hours at your own domicile doesn't deserve to have fun. If you're in a position where you colleague's opinions drive your career, you never really left high school cliques.
>>
>>43497520
1. Point
2. Fuck you too buddy. I'll be the exception to the rule if I have
3. >not getting paid hourly rates
It all depends on your profession in this regard. Will an office worker of a teacher have to? Most likely. Will anyone in the services industry have to? Not unless you put a tab in my kitchen and send me crates of beer.
Not the original anon
>>
File: vroom vroom.gif (489 KB, 440x248) Image search: [Google]
vroom vroom.gif
489 KB, 440x248
>>43497561
you ready for a bit of the old ultraviolence
>>
>>43497597
>>>rehab
>Why are you bringing patients to your home?

I assume you are thinking ""drug rehab".

Most "rehab" work is coporate/insurance/public service injury rehabilitation, and thus is very heavy on professional networking and building clients for the business.
>>
>>43497568
You misunderstand. It's not unpaid work. A salary is often offered for jobs that require high/variable hours per week. People who have a salary in the US are often paid much more then they would be offered as an hourly wage to account for the extra time spent.
>>
>>43497632
Anon might have meant physical rehab. His comment makes even less sense if that's the case however.
>>
>>43492654
>they get kind of judgmental

Do they or are you just projecting?

I don't hide it nor do I show it off. It's just what I do and I'm cool about it. Even got some people who weren't previously into wargames interested.
>>
>>43497666
Except the conversation is regarding:

>Most firms do not approve of their upper employees having frivolous hobbies. If you're not at work you should be wining and dining clients, going over stuff from work, etc. You should be getting back home in the middle of the night, having a stiff drink, then passing out, and repeat until you're dead while the company reaps profits.

That is not "variable hours". That kind of corporate behaviour is bullshit.
>>
>>43497568

You have no idea what we're even talking about so you should probably stop talking. The money you get paid for these kind of jobs is well worth the extra work, otherwise nobody would do them.
>>
>>43497718
>That kind of corporate behaviour is bullshit.

Welcome to America, bitch.
>>
>>43497745
And that is why I will never move to that shithole.
>>
>>43497735
Yeah, I deal with this shit as my actual job, and *I* don't know what I am talking about. Story checks out right?

Stay classy.
>>
>>43492654
No, LARP/TCGs/miniature games are all pretty much normal in Denmark.
>>
>>43492654

Maybe it's just the generally "nerdy" people I hang out with, but whenever I mention my painting minis, playing roleplaying games, or whatnot to anyone NOT in that knowledge base...I get a pretty eager response.

Maybe it is how I deliver it. For example, most people are really impressed by my painting. They are intrigued by the stories I tell about some of the stories my tabletop group has gone through and listen with amusement that is to the story, not me.

Example. I recently bought X-Wing and Armada to play with my dad. He's getting older and used to be big into board games and tabletop stuff. I mentioned this at work (I work with a wide variety of people) and people thought it was interesting and were asking me about it. These people are middle to late aged and, to my knowledge, have no inkling to any of this stuff.

Course, people also think it is really cool that I do nerf stuff every few months and travel for it. Not like anyone here is going to believe me, but dear lord do I get so much tail from that.
>>
>>43497759
>laughingrestoftheworld

Okay, whatever gets you to sleep at night. I'll be waiting for your next whine post about how your hobby prices are too high. That is if spiders don't kill you in your sleep.
>>
>>43497777

Did it ever occur to you that you only have your job because these people have so much money they can afford to pay you to listen to them bitch? That's how much more money they're making than you. You're literally an ear-whore.

Didn't realize your clients were Americans too bruh. Daily reminder moot was right about AU posters.
>>
If you are like, entertaining in a business capacity, you should probably "hide" it, in that you shouldn't have paints and WIPs sitting all over the place, because you should clean up your house.

If you are "hiding" it from "friends" because you are worried they will look down on you, then they are not your friends, and you should rethink your relationships.
>>
>>43497788
>That is if spiders don't kill you in your sleep.
Fucking spiders man. Had a Huntsman hiding on my fucking pasta the other day. Son of a bitch just came rolling over the lip of the packet while I was pouring it in the pot.

Talk about "dropping it like it's hot". Thankfully he didn't fall in the pot, that would have sucked.
>>
>>43497800
You are thinking of a Counsellor, rather than corporate Injury Management, but whatever.

If anything, I don't get paid to listen to them bitch, I get paid to report on shit they already know. So basically tehy pay me to listen to me bitch. Their employees burn out because they overwork them and undervalue them. They know this, but they need to look like they are doing something to fix the problem. So they hire a consultant, not to listen to, but to get reports from.

The dumb thing is, constantly burning out employees with unrealistic work loads is actually bad for business at an executive level (because you end up with lower quality work, and waste money hiring new people), but so many executives don't listen to the professional advice they paid for. But hey, at least I get paid well and often right?
>>
>>43497840
Dammit anon. You better have put him in a corner or something so he can set up and get the insects. Summer's coming up which means trillions of mosquitos.
>>
>>43492654
I hide nothing.
I work at OfficeDepot as a tech guy (I jokingly call myself the Tech-Priest at my FLGS because I sometimes wear my red shirt straight from work when I play), and openly admit to being a massive nerd and neckbeard. Hell, one of my co-workers apparently is REALLY into MtG, which I had dabbled with but never really gotten into.

I show pictures of my minis all the time when people ask what I do. the easiest way to explain it is saying "it's like chess but with models" and most of my older co-workers seem to respect that.

As for relationships, single after two-years, but then again, really not looking for another, but I can't imagine entering into one where my girlfriend is not

a) totally okay with it
or
b) Totally into it

I almost asked out a girl I met outside the Games Workshop closest to my place (Fuckin' 5 minutes from work too, love Penasquitoes) while holding a box of skitarii. She saw them and jokingly said she didn't mind a litle machine in her men, but totally dug the Black Templar tunics.

I made the mistake of letting her go without catching her phone number, but I think it really got me thinking hat I would kill for a girl who was at least into the fluff for the game.

Praise the Omnissiah.
>>
File: 1442506245643.jpg (388 KB, 1803x1351) Image search: [Google]
1442506245643.jpg
388 KB, 1803x1351
There is no reason to hide it from regular people. I spend a lot of time on each figure, and they end up being painted well enough for me to display it without feeling bad about it.
I usually get compliments when people notice they're painted (I tend to leave one or two WIPs next to the finished ones). For some reason, people unfamiliar with the hobby tend to like Tau units more than IG, SM, Orks, or Nids.

Only time I felt bad was when I was throwing a party, and a group of people (including top tier females) saw them and asked me what it was. Then a friend of mine got in the way, and told them that those 3 minis they were looking at were costing about $75.
I think the silence that followed never made me feel more of an autist with bad taste, and too much time and money to spare.
>>
>>43497957
>Dammit anon. You better have put him in a corner or something so he can set up and get the insects. Summer's coming up which means trillions of mosquitos.
There are PLENTY of spiders left. I decided he would be made an example of, spiders do not live in my food, they live on the roof.
>>
>>43496635
>I'm not a beta
>responded
>classicblunder.jpg.png.gif.webm.mp2.linux
>>
>>43493472
This

I tidy it up and try to hide all the paint supplies and workstation so people don't realise how much it costs to paint crack
>>
I catch shit from it from my girlfriend, but I don't really give a damn what she thinks?

Nobody else goes into my room because I'm cheap and only rented a micro studio and there's nothing to do here. Ain't gonna invite my mates over to huddle around the computer and look at funny pictures of cats.
>>
>>43497984
Everybody blows money on things. My girlfriend spends around a hundred bucks a month on back massage's and the thing with miniatures is that they persist and remind people of how much they cost.
>>
>>43497984
>cost

Oh god that is the one thing that will always get you weird looks. I will NEVER admit to how much something costs. If someone sees a price tag, I mention I trade a lot and buy deals at fleaarkets and whatnot to trade for what I want. Works most of the time, but its always funny how a $30 mini is seen as so much more crazy than say the $1500 worth of instruments and amps I have sitting in the corner or my $500 worth of vidya on the entertainment system.
>>
>>43497788
>I'll be waiting for your next whine post about how your hobby prices are too high.
New Zealand here, ours are fucking ridiculous. There is a direct flight from Auckland to LAX, why is it $25-30 for 36d6 in Wellington?
>>
>>43496800
Post-Law here

I was in a similar situation, someone came into my room and saw some Warham figures on my desk. I think the conversation went like this:

>Hey anon, what the hell are these?
>They're wargaming figures, I build and paint them to de-stress and stuff.
>Oh, okay.

I don't hide it, and that guy and a few others helped me make a small Games club. Ironically it made networking far easier since now most of the law school plays some kind of board game so I get a lot of face-to-face time with potential colleagues.

Plus I can put down "Created and managed social club" on my resume if that counts for anything.

I guess what I'm trying to say is people won't ostracize you for a perfectly reasonable hobby. If they do, then they're giant asshats and you don't want to work with or for them.

Though in my experience employers don't give a flying fuck what you do in your (incredibly limited) free time, so long as you can do your actual job with a modicum of skill.
>>
>>43497264
Oh jesus christ don't go into corporate

I was there for 5 hellish years before escaping into the beauteous green fields of government employment.

>Paid well
>Heaps of benefits (inc. health insurance)
>Basically can't get fired

Feels good man
>>
>>43496368

Sounds like one of you guys is a dick.
>>
>>43495493
>So it ended with me executing her. But the bullet richochetted when touching her plate armor, it turns out she was a Genestealer. And that's how i met your mother.
>>
>>43498112
A lot of my friends regularly spend $200+ on booze each weekend.

At least what I spend my discretionary income on doesn't get thrown up outside a D+ nightclub on Saturday night, -Dennis-
>>
>>43492654
Not really, but then again, I'm not into wargaming. But a friend of mine was into it, and when I asked him about it he just said that it was his army for a alternate version of chess basically
>>
>>43497991
You mean IN the roof right?

Had one drop onto me the other night while I was in the shower.

God knows what he was trying to do, he got washed down the drain the poor eight-legged bastard.
>>
I'm 30, peer pressure moved from "hurr nerd" to "hurr, mortage" long ago.
>>
I always have an on-going game or a panorama set up on my gameboard. With dimming the light around the board and putting one of the roof-inset spotlights on the scene (usually characters locked in combat) it looks like a dramatic White Dwarf scene. People seem to appreciate it.
>>
>>43498239
Yeah, whenever someone tries to insult gaming as a hobby I just point out the money and time they spend on watching reality TV / drinking / sports and they get quiet really fucking fast
>>
>>43492654
>Do you hide your hobby /tg/?
Yes I hide my music hobby because people call me hipster everytime I tell what I listen to.

I also have a hard time explaining the genres I like, because well what usual person know what math rock is?
>>
>>43497981
Askaround the FLGS if anyone knows her, might start a beautiful story anon.
>>
>>43498303
>what usual person know what math rock is?
Everybody knows what it is.
It's shit.
>>
>>43496368
what the fuck. Thats a terrible reason to cut of ties with someone. Honestly its for the better if he got so pissy over something trivial like that.
>>
Seeing other people in exactly the same situation here, I'll say the same thing.

Being a Law student, where you have to be basically perfect to get a vacation scheme and training contract, I will never in the life of me admit I do that kind of things, unless I see some very obvious signs that the person I'm speaking to is int that as well, say a phone screen with a related background, or them admitting it first.

During an internship, my boss admitted being into tabletops and the hobby, at the end of it, even though I suspected him, what's with the knights photos in his office and the likes. But still, it was only after a month, when I had been working in the same office as him every day, and he told me to keep it for myself, even though he's head of a department. Shows you how much of a backlash it could make by admitting it to non-close people.
That's for work.

Among my friends, I won't say it unless asked, because it's just another hobby. I don't see my friends bragging about that awesome run they did or that Fifa game they played. They do k ow about it though, my housemates have all seen me doing it, and are actually quite impressed, even though I'm a mediocre painter at best.

They key point is confidence. Even girls that you would not expect to like that don't seem to mind or are even interested, as long as you talk about it correctly and with enough confidence.
>>
>>43498377
I would have thought that a hobby that requires a lot of patience, attention to detail and an ability to memorize lots of niggly rules would be seen as a positive thing when working in law.
>>
>>43498399
It's just misconceptions by people who aren't into the hobby. When people look at wargames or RPGs they just see it as glorified Sorry or Monopoly
>>
>>43498340
>Everybody knows what it is.
>implying
>>
>>43498377
What kind of fucking repressed bullshit is that? "Oh, no! I'd better not tell people that I enjoy playing a game." Because why? It's like those people who were afraid to admit to liking science fiction back in the day, because it was weird (most of you people are probably too young to remember that). If somebody can't handle that I like RPGs, then fuck them. They're close-minded assholes, and the problem is theirs, not mine.

Look, I don't go around talking about elves and shit because I'm not going to assume that folks are interested in my hobbies, just like I have no interest in listening to the fuckers who won't shut up about their favorite sport. I also don't go off talking about Star Wars to strangers (unless something leads up to the conversation, anyway), and do you know how popular that shit is? But I don't try to hide the shit I like as if I were a little child, frightened of disapproval. Other people can't shame you on stuff like this; you can only shame yourself by being ashamed.
>>
I have my stuff in the spare room when not in use. This is due to 2 cats and a wife. But i have some stuff on my book case for display that i am proud of like my 1st model, cool stuff or things that my wife painted. I even have some of my stuff at work on my desk and people ask what they are. I just say they are my hobby i build and paint them its my relaxation from working in social security. Then again my desk is full of nerdy stuff or pictures from my time doing reenactment.

Look trick is dont treat it like a shameful secret. If people ask, then say its my hobby. If they ask questions then answer them but dont be that guy that goes overboard. If they are a dick about just say it my spare time and its my way to relax and its no worse then watching people play with a ball.
>>
>>43497520
>3. It's not unfair dismissal. He is not paid hourly. He's getting a constant salary to get his work done. If he can't finish it during work hours, he has to bring it home, otherwise he is not getting all his work done, so why would they keep him and pay him when he's not getting his work done? If it's "too much" work then they can just replace him with someone who CAN get it done/is willing to work extra hours.

If the boss tell him to do X and he doenst finish it doing all the rest of the work at home, this guy is doing a bad job, and would be fired anyway.

If you work from 8 hours a day and you are suposedly to do a job X, this automatically means this work can be done in 8 hours and you are a bad worker if you spend more than 8 hours to do it.

Both the guy that bring work to home and the other are in the same situation, since none did the job that was suposed to be done in 8 hours
>>
>>43498377
It's such a clusterfuck when navigating different social spheres, people have such a fucking strange conception of what is considered 'normal'.
>binge watching tv shows all weekend while being a shut in
is somehow better than
>going out and playing games with other people and enjoying an active social hobby
>>43498487
Other people can absolutely and will shame you about stuff like this, especially if you're in America. Admitting you play games in a white collar environment, unless you're a code monkey, will 9/10 times have a negative backlash especially if your job involves socializing.
>>
>>43498472
Pretty much this.

It is true however that you can make it look valuable, by raising the above points, but it is risky.
>>
>>43498487
I'm not ashamed. But I won't rub my hobby in the face of my friends, just like I never hear about my friend training for his marathons. If they ask questions about it I'm always happy to answer though.

There's a bridge between admitting you like something and rubbing it in the faces of other people.
>>
This thread was surpirisingly enlightening about the differences between murrican work culture vs the rest of the world
>>
>>43498506
>Other people can absolutely and will shame you about stuff like this, especially if you're in America. Admitting you play games in a white collar environment, unless you're a code monkey, will 9/10 times have a negative backlash especially if your job involves socializing.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sucks to be in whatever backasswards part of the country you live in. Beyond initial confusion and the occasional stereotypes, everyone I've ever told (Read; Anyone I've ever talked to extensively) hasn't ever been judgmental about my hobbies.

>I've gotten several friends, and one of my ex's, to try 40k.
>Co-workers and friends have begged me to DM a D&D game for them so they can try it out.
>My managers always ask me about how my LARP went after my requested days off for it.

Honestly, I've had one person call me a weirdo before and she was an extremely stuck up and rich high school student. Most of the stigma that comes with /tg/ related hobbies comes from looking the part of the neckbearded grognard and from trying to secret away your hobbies from others out of shame.
>>
>>43498604
Well that and the different work environment to be honest.

You obviously don't expect the same hobbies and occupations from a commercial lawyer and a 9 to 5 job.
>>
>>43498615
For someone who supposedly role plays, you have a surprisingly limited view of people in different environments.
>>43498624
True as well.
>>
>>43498506
Maybe I just don't understand the whole peer pressure thing. I live in the bible belt, but don't feel compelled to pretend I believe in God or think Obama is the antichrist, or something. I mean, I don't argue every time somebody says something ignorant, because I don't have the responsibility or the desire to surrender every waking moment trying to inform people who don't usually want to be informed, but I'll freely cop to something if somebody asks. And trust me when I say that my views aren't always popular around here, but that's other people's problem and not mine. I try to be an easy going guy and treat even people I vehemently disagree with with respect, but I'm not going to subordinate my opinions to others'.
>>
>>43498615
What's your job anon?

Are you one of the lawyers in this thread?
>>
>>43498639
It depends on where you work, what I was talking about is from a corporate environment where appearance means everything.
It's why I quit my job, I thought I could deal with it but I can't stand corporate and the assholes in it
>>
I had an ex who went to all my friends and told them I play with toys. All my friends were like normal outgoing 'cool' guys, like me. She thought I'd lucked my way into this group of friends and was faking being 'cool'. I met all my lads through either warhams itself or vidya. They also have zero tolerance for bullshit and gave her some serious shit for trying to do that to me.

desu kek kek keked
>>
>>43498615
>using personal anecdotes as an argument

Stay poor.

There's a reason successful, well put together businessmen are never seen talking about their dumb personal hobbies, and it always comes as a surprise when they have a weird one. In the rare case the topic is brought up, it's always something like "classical music" or "boating".
>>
>>43498503
>If you work from 8 hours a day and you are suposedly to do a job X, this automatically means this work can be done in 8 hours and you are a bad worker if you spend more than 8 hours to do it.

Except that's not true at all.

Especially when we're talking about SALARIES. You're given X weeks or X months to do something.
>>
>>43498663
I feel bad for people like that, being spiteful enough to do something like that seems like a miserable existence
>>43498688
Especially in America where the employees are known to be overworked
>>
>>43498639
Yeah but that's religion. It is still fairly a private thing.

Most of the "complaints" here come from people not admitting their hobby at their workplace, which I understand because I'm one of them.

When you're expected to be that perfect, dynamic, driven, intelligent, SOCIAL, ahead of the others, at the beck and call of partnerd in a fuckhuge law firm, the world being the cruel place it is, you can't just admit that you paint plastic toys.
Because at the end of the day, the partners won't send the guy who paints plastic toys to the client, because how could you be taken seriously?

To the wild public, we're still considered weird. It's already a progress to see that we're not frowned upon by the normal people, but in a formal, professional atmosphere, we have to wait.
>>
>>43498692
Although, that's less of a gaming thing and more of a "if you're not into the same subjects as the wealthy elite you won't be taken seriously" thing.
>>
>>43498692
>if you don't golf, boat, wine and dine or watch football your hobby is weird
And this is why I'm going back to school and getting out of corporate.
>>
>>43498710
Yeah true enough. To be completely fair, the more you go into the upper echelons, the less you're expected to have a hobby, and just work your ass off.
>>
>>43498692
>we should send X to client Y, he's been nothing but professional and driven in everything he's done with us
>wait, he paints plastic toys in his spare time when there isn't law stuff to be done?
>I take it back, obviously he's a shit lawyer, send someone else

This kind of logic astounds me. As in, I seriously cannot comprehend the rationale behind it. What does it matter what the guy does when he's not working if it has zero impact on his work?
>>
>>43498727
>not masturbating while reading the constitution in your spare time
>>
>>43498723
For a lot of those guys though, work is their hobby.
>>43498727
Yeah, it's stupid but reality. Unfortunately a lot of stupid people end up with large amounts of money due to who their birth and if you weren't lucky enough to be born into it, you have to appease them for some of it unless you carve out your own living.
>>
>>43492654
Nope, I just don't talk about it with my "normie" friends. They all know of my hobbies, and if they ask I will talk about it. Same with the tinder sloots I've invited home, if they ask about my modelling station I'll tell them that I paint miniatures as a hobby.

I talk about "nerd" stuff with my "nerd" friends. I mean, there's really no point in telling my "normie" friends, who just aren't interested about this stuff, about this fun story about an all Guardsmen Dark Heresy campaign.
>>
I'm not a tabletop wargamer, but I am a bit RPG player and never really made much effort to hide it.

All my friends at college are also RPG nuts and our circle of friends revolves around the games we play together.

I mentioned role playing games at work when someone asked me what I liked to do with my spare time and the only negative response came from one guy who was, without hyperbole, the most unpleasant man I have ever had to deal with in my life. He was essentially a collection of the most offensive opinions and interpersonal habits I've ever seen in person combined with spiteful rudeness in every interaction, a soul made of dogshit and a face like a baboon's ass.

One of my other coworkers nodded approvingly and said he was a D&D player back in his college days and we talked about our favorite games for a bit while the asshole fumed that nobody else joined in his unreasoning shitfit against me.

Heck I met my first romance through traditional gaming, not going to knock that track record.
>>
>>43498755
I know that all too well anon.
>>
>>43492654
I'm rich, /fit/ and attractive.

Yes, I keep my favourite army displayed in my office. To be fair, it's right next to my 3D printer so people probably assume I pirated/designed the models.

There's only one other guy in my department who's into 40k and he used to be a professional model. So yeah, that's engineering for you.
>>
>>43496368
Jesus christ let it go anon he's retarded.
>>
>>43496800
>Pre-Law
What a fag.
>>
>>43497340
That's going to backfire so fucking hard if the anon trying it isn't confident to begin with.
>>
>>43492654
I'm doing a pretty "normie" course at uni, I'm open about it, usually comes up when I'm setting up an anecdote or whatever.

Near enough all of them, even the trendies were a combination of the following
>played warhammer
>wanted to
>knew someone that did
>>
File: Thats as many as six tens.jpg (97 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
Thats as many as six tens.jpg
97 KB, 500x750
> Used warhammer 40k inquisition to start a discussion on Spanish inquisition
> Used the ideas of hunting witches in 40k to link it to the ideas of hunting witches in 17th century mexico
> Painted models at my desk in college when my roommate had all his band section over drinking
> Played RPGs every week with good friends while roommate tried to figure out why he wasnt accepted by his band section.
> Never wanted to join in with our group except once
>Actually enjoyed it kinda
>Said it felt weird and never played again
>Kept a giant gaming table and model display in my living room in college.

Long story short: I gave up caring in high school. If people couldnt accept it, then it wasnt worth my time with them. I had a "friend" of mine who came over, laughed at me and then proceeded to throw up his stomach contents from drinking a keg the night before.

Guess who was called the "nerd" in this situation because drinking is more socially acceptable?
>>
>>43499239
>>43499192
It's completely different in a work environment where you can lose your job for it / hamper your progress in your career.
>>
>>43499288
Nigger just dump the meme professions and get into engineering.

Come home anon.
>>
>>43499288
>in a work environment where you can lose your job for it
>>
>Not doing engineering
>Not utilizing the career that gets you the most money for your minis

For what purpose?
>>
>>43499288
This.

Especially in the anglo-saxon work environment where your progression or your job can be halted very quickly and easily.

Everything about you has to be polished, perfect, attractive and professional.
>>
>>43499309
I'm actually going back to school to study physics, which is probably what I should have done in the first place since I love it so much, I just caved in to my parents bullshit when I was younger.
Just biding time so I can have money to get me through it
>>
>>43499374
Going back for a physics undergrad instead of an applied degree is a bad idea. Take it from someone who has a physics B. You will either need 3-5 more years of grad-school or another applied degree before you are employable in anything more than IT.
>>
>>43499392
Yeah, I know I'm in for the long painful road here, I've just gone through enough career posturing bullshit that I'm willing enough to do it at this point.
Although I'm still considering specialized engineering
>>
>>43497133

Oh my Jesus, man the hell up already about it. He says he doesn't want to see that shit, tell him he can go fuck off then and get the book/whatever somewhere else. He doesn't like how you spend YOUR free time? This is Murica, greatest goddamn freedom in the world, and his opinions don't mean jack shit. Sure you need to network in college and stuff, but doesn't mean killing yourself, or who you are to some random douche. Odds are, you're gonna lose contact with all but MAYBE one or two people from school once you're gone, and maybe keep in touch with a choice professor or sonething. All the "networking" bs is just that. Bs. It's like high school, with the popular crowd. Nobody gives a flying fuck about them once you walk that graduation walk.
>>
>>43499327
Because that's salary anon.

In law you'll get a quarter of your total money from your salary at the top level.

Rest is bonus. No taxes on that.
>>
>>43497201
Fucking this.
Fuckers need to assimilate or move along
>>
>>43498624
As a junior solicitor working for the state Ombudsman, I can safely admit that I have waaaaaay too much Tau than I know what to do with.

>An entire cupboard full of shrink-wrapped weaboo communists

I don't know how to feel.
>>
/tg/ stuff is regarded almost as satanism in Poland so no
>>
>>43498681
It's because the majority of successful corporate bigwigs are somewhere on the sociopathy continuum

They don't really have hobbies the way regular people do - they gain their kicks from screwing other people over and owning multiple boats.
>>
>>43499784
Yes, but it's salary minus bonus for engineering as well. It's also not counting stock options which can be huge in tech companies. You usually get decent bonuses every time you make improvements on a production process and most contracts let you keep small royalties on patents you develop at a company as well.

If you're a good engineer you can make a lot of money even before you get to management.

That's not all engineers of course. Some get stuck in 60k CAD monkey jobs for the majority of their careers.
>>
>>43500094
Where the fuck do you live? I'm a fellow potatostani and never saw that kind of a reaction (outside of a friend's grandmother and one hilarious sermon).
>>
>>43500094
Ah yes, Poland, because the EU needed one bunch of overzealous, alcoholic, livestock-buggering Jesusfreaks on each side to maintain balance.

I guess this means shit-brown shirts are just about to become the fashion of the day if Dublin as well then.

Who will be Japan in this axis 2.0, Argentina?
>>
>>43500116
Maybe in the US.

UK lawyers tend to be slightly less evil. Only slightly. But the bigger they grow, the badder they become.

I actually spoke to a partner of Ashurst less than 30 minutes ago that left Linklaters 10 years ago because it was becoming too much of a shithole.
>>
>>43500200
You will be always "the weird guy" when you mention tabletop games. Speaking about it around elder and watching their reaction is hilarious however
>>
>>43500116
As someone who worked as a pa for several 'bigwigs' (vp level in three different corporations), this is bull. I mean yes, a few of them are utter fucking cockmongers, but most just don't have the time or even the power over their own schedules to indulge in this kind of hobby. Or any hobby that can't be practiced in less than half an hour per 'session'.
>>
File: khajiitafuben.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
khajiitafuben.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
>>43492654
If they are judgemental, into the trash. Easy as that.
>>
>>43498688
>Especially when we're talking about SALARIES. You're given X weeks or X months to do something.
yes because it takes x weeks and x months to do something.

If you use your work time and every single moment of your free time excluding sleeping and eating. you are doing a bad job EXACTLY as bad as someone that did the same stuff as you, excluding the working at non job hours, and so because of that, didnt done the job
>>
>>43500232
Not... really? I mean around high school definitely yes, but later on? Nope. True about the old folks, though.
>>
>>43500194
Yeah, people seem to be fine with a fantasy world with magic and wizards and dragons and elves and minotaurs and dwarves and naga and drow and werewolves and tengu and vampires and giant sea monsters, but get pissed off that there's a black person in the game because it's "not realistic"
>>
I hide it at work, but I'm the youngest person in my department by a solid 30 years. Most of my friends know, it's not that big a deal once you're out of college.
>>
>>43500273
>responding
It's posted in literally every thread on /tg/, it's either a bot or a spastic.
>>
>>43495951
Fat? Because I have tamed hambeasts myself.
>>
>>43499288
Tabletop war gaming is actually on my CV right after taichi and kernel development. HR loves it, gives them questions to come up with. How do I feel this hobby helps me grow personally or professionally, stuff like that. The hr girl takes me for a Chinese warlord sometimes, when we discuss art of war and medieval weaponry at the table while having our lunch with the workforce. One day I will invite get out, but not before I move companies. Workplace relationships are bad mojo.
>>
>>43496129
>What are you like 15? Or do you go to a college where people give a crap about street cred?
>Honestly bro if you're charismatic and put together enough so that your classmates think you're cool then no one is going to shun you if it's revealed you're into tiny plastic space soldiers. This isn't a 90s TV show.
>I've met frat bros who were in to D&D. No one cares if you're into some kind of fringe interest. They do care, however, if you're obnoxious about it.

This.

When I was in high school I kept that shit hidden like it was evidence in a murder, but as soon as people would see me doing something related (sketching a character for a game that week, or something similar), they would ask if I played D&D, and then spill their guts to me about how they love tabletop games.

You'd be surprised how many people are in the same boat you are.
>>
>>43499288
>It's completely different in a work environment where you can lose your job for it / hamper your progress in your career.
Where do you live and what do you do?
>>
>>43500865
Wouldn't surprise me if it was either US or UK.

They can fire you very easily, or at least put a stop to your career.

All it takes is one guy above you that finds you weird on unlikable.
>>
To the lawyers in this thread, may I ask where you worked, and how was it? Y'know, networking and all that.
>>
famffamafamm
>>
F senpai A senpai m senpai
>>
Senpai
>>
>>43496104
This anon gets it. Just let em know its a hobby. Confidence is key, don't sheepishly pass over it or hide it, but also don't go full sperg and shove it in their face. If they ask, tell em, and if they show interest feel free to let em know more, if not, just get on with it.
>>
>>43496104
>Maybe you should get the rest of your fucking life together and then people won't care about your hobbies
>have a job and etc.. and do traditional game, not addicted to tg
good

>same but dont have a job
bad

explain how this works
>>
>>43503039
You could do any activity and not have a job, and it will look bad in all honesty though.

Having a job is a sign of financial stability, integrity, etc.
>>
>>43503039
Because if you have a good job and paint toys you're seen as a well-rounded individual.
If you don't have a job and paint toys you're seen as a neckbeardy NEET faget with his priorities the wrong way round.
>>
Literally all my friends do /tg/ stuff to some degree, that's why we're friends.
Fuck, even my fiance plays D&D with me sometimes
That must really suck to have friends who would say such things.
>>
>>43498692
This. You'd sneer if someone brought up their favorite animes while they were working at their white-collar job - miniatures and tabletop stuff are still about the same thing, even if they're far more accepted than before.
>>
>>43501088
>All it takes is one guy above you that finds you weird on unlikable.
>UK

m8 you know how many lawyers would be on the employers ass if they tried that shit? Hell you say "This job has me stressed" and about 50 lawyers will be banging on your door trying to get milking that corporate teet
>>
>>43504481
Problem is, they can find someone to replace you VERY quickly.

There's litteraly thousands of applications for less than a hundred places.

They pay you a shitload to be able to do pretty much whatever they want with you.

Why do you think we work sometimes more than 100 hours in a week?
>>
File: gw-hq-Copy-2.jpg (44 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
gw-hq-Copy-2.jpg
44 KB, 500x375
>>43498990
>There's only one other guy in my department who's into 40k and he used to be a professional model.
Pic related, it's anons co-worker. Tell him I'm sorry he lost his old job, okay, anon?
>>
>>43500239
>Or any hobby that can't be practiced in less than half an hour per 'session'.
Can't even masturbate. The leisure gap is real and it is horrible.
>>
>>43505252
You get secretaries for that.
>>
File: 1427160481849.jpg (152 KB, 1900x1200) Image search: [Google]
1427160481849.jpg
152 KB, 1900x1200
>>43492654
I remember I couldn't find work or get a license after high school, so my parent blamed it on my tabletop hobby and threw me out. Haven't spoken to her since.
>>
Yep, I hide my hobbies. I make it a point to not to tell anyone I know about them for as long as possible. I realise from having other people wax lyrical to me about their hobbies that I don't share that most of the time people don't care about stuff like that. I do my hobbies because I enjoy them, not because I want people to know I do it.

Didn't tell my girlfriend about any of my hobbies until we'd been going out for about a month. Most people at my work know nothing about my hobbies.
>>
>>43497092

desu senpai baka
>>
>>43500251
No, it's totally because you have X weeks or Y months to do something. Work is regularly given out that cannot be completed in 40X hours, you are expected to get it done.

My mother works for IBM, the average project runs like this:
>Here is your team
>Here is your deadline
>Here is your assignment
>We're laying off half the team
>Here's a bunch of new stuff we need added to the project
>Also we need it two weeks ahead of schedule because sales was letting its mouth write checks you have to cash
>Oh, and don't forget, we need you on a conference call with the Chinese team at 3AM
>The Chinese team insists it's working on everything according to plan, but they still haven't produced any results
>We'd like to thank you all for volunteering to take a week without pay
>Here's new computers, they don't work right, aren't setup, and will require you to spend days working with IT to make them function
>Remember your assignment, we need it to do something entirely unrelated
>Random required seminar on sensitivity
>Half the Chinese team was only working with us to subsidize their training, they've all quit to work for the government
>We need you to train half a Chinese team to do the work the original Chinese team wasn't actually doing
>Of course they'll stay with us for longer than a year. I'm not counting, but this time's the charm
>Lay offs again
>We need to push the deadline forward by three weeks so we can show it off at a tech forum
>We knew about that when we first gave you this assignment
>All noncritical personnel are working from home this weekend because AC is expensive
>Oh, you finished the assignment, welcome back to Mr. Bone's wild ride
>>
>>43495834
baka desu senpai
>>
File: 1443786899973.jpg (18 KB, 438x428) Image search: [Google]
1443786899973.jpg
18 KB, 438x428
>>43505610
She was right desu
>>
>>43506258
I have a career now, but I think you missed the point senpai.
>>
File: DSCF1629.jpg (2 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1629.jpg
2 MB, 3072x2304
>>43492654
Hell, if anything, a Tabletop Wargame Hobby has given me an excuse to keep doing what I was already doing...
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.