[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
lets say i need a playable skeleton race that isnt overpowered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: duty-bound dead.jpg (345 KB, 1000x731) Image search: [Google]
duty-bound dead.jpg
345 KB, 1000x731
lets say i need a playable skeleton race that isnt overpowered
basic criteria:
1. slow but purposeful
2 hard to kill or stop
3. good for most classes
advanced criteria
1. some form of extra health padding
2. give some way to make it seem more "Ceaseless" or "unstopping" or "determined" as only tireless undead warmachines can be
>>
>>43469473

Gimme a break, skeleton in almost every universe sucks balls and is only a pawn in someones hands.
>>
>>43469473
>hard to kill

>extra health padding

So not a skeleton at all.

A skeleton without the fleshy bits around it is easily broken and destroyed. Come on, man.
>>
>>43469473
other tidbits:
for 5e
no alignment needed
versatile
maybe a 1/day ability?
>>
>>43469573
trying to emulate the regenerate ability of MTG skeletons
>>
>>43469473
>I want to make a race that isn't overpowered
>requires a bunch of awesome abilities.
>is also kind of slow I guess.

Do you know what balance is.
>>
>>43469473
Immune to desease, poison, etc
Resistant to piecing attacks such as arrows
Very resistant to cold (possibly other magic as well, such as fire)
Immune to curses and magical debuffs?
Immune to spells that cause a "death" or "kill" effect
Easy to revive, even during battle, may require necromancer or magical item held by party member
Has a much larger threshold till it counts as "permanently dead" i.e. shattered into tiny pieces
Cannot sprint
Cannot be struck in the vitals
Can sneak among other skeletons without them reacting
Carnivores (which is most monsters) don't hunt them, along with lots of other things, such as succubi
Can be carried in a backpack and is strong enough to carry another skeleton in their backpack
Can walk through lakes and swamps
Cannot freely walk into town

Personally, all I'd need is the immunity to poison and to be easily revived. Being able to come back to life a lot keeps that Skeleton cannon fodder feel in place but allows them to keep up with other party members even if the skeleton has lower stats than them.

Though you'd have to protect whoever keeps reviving you.
>>
>>43473167
This
>>
>>43469473

Why health padding? If anything make them brittle as anything but they just get the fuck back up from everything.

Maybe make them basically immune to pretty much all piercing weapons, most spells, all poison and gas attacks, and most elemental types (extra damage from fire or 'holy' spells, maybe), but physical attacks, most particularly blunt weapons, have a fairly high chance of knocking them down. They get right back up of course but they have to be careful around anyone employing strong swinging attacks otherwise they'll spend the entire fight spread across the floor
>>
>>43473167
I always enjoyed the videogame convention of "Death and kill effects heal, while heal and holy-buff based attacks act as their own personal death and kill."
>>
>>43473167
There's also the issue of being hunted by paladins.
>>
>>43469473
No, only liches and necromancers allowed
>>
>>43475745
That can be one of the players or even an NPC quest giving master for the game if everyone is skeletons.
>>
>>43475599
I read that as 'haunted by plains initially, which is pretty rad.
>>
>>43476400
*Paladins
Fuck you autocorrect I thought I turned you off
>>
>>43473167
So like Dark Souls?
>>
File: Painted skeleton.jpg (178 KB, 534x800) Image search: [Google]
Painted skeleton.jpg
178 KB, 534x800
I am currently playing in a game world like this. All the undead are really weird.

The common zombie is fast, aggressive and so on. They can only be made from new corpses and decay into dust when killed or after a few hours of burning through their body.

All the longer lasting undead are strange; lard covered corpses, wraiths of dust, skeletons tied with creeping vines, clay-masked mummies and more. But the most lively of them all is the painted skeleton.

Looks like a skeleton, but heavily painted in magical paints. They are talkative, friendly, and enjoy all sorts of partying and merriment. They are great friends of children (to the children who get past their scary appearance) and have the typical undead advantages. If knocked apart, they can be pretty easily be put back together.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.