[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WARMACHINE/HORDES GENERAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: Grissel vs Vayl.jpg (75 KB, 736x525) Image search: [Google]
Grissel vs Vayl.jpg
75 KB, 736x525
pGrissel is best warlock edition

Warmachine/Hordes Books, No Quarter, & IKRPG
>textuploader <DOT> com / awh89
PP Youtube (gameplay tutorials, tournament coverage, and announcements)
> https://www.youtube.com/user/PrivateerPressPrime
List building at
> https://www.forwardkommander.com
>http://schlaf.github.io/whac_online/whac.html
Latest Errata
> http://privateerpress.com/files/WM%20MKII%20Rules%20Errata%20Aug%202015.pdf
Steamroller Rules
> http://privateerpress.com/organized-play/steamroller-tournaments
The Giant List of Podcasts and Blogs
> http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?76379-Warmachine-Hordes-related-blogs-websites-and-forums
Table of contents for all NQ issues
> http://www.privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?4313-Table-Of-Contents-For-All-No-Quarter-Issu
Your Dudes
>http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-2-3-2014
Abridged Lore
>gargantuans abridged: http://pastebin.com/XPKMKYUc
>hordes abridged: http://pastebin.com/6D1fwSgv

Lexicanum Iron Kingdoms Lore wiki:
>http://warmachine.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
>>
File: 1421810479457.png (2 MB, 1290x854) Image search: [Google]
1421810479457.png
2 MB, 1290x854
first for muh hoksune
>>
I'm a new player and I've learned a lot about the game by listening to podcasts, but I don't have any models yet. I really want to start out with mercs because they are just too cool. How fucked am I and in what ways?
>>
Hows this look?
High Exemplar Kreoss (*5pts)
* Repenter (4pts)
* Vanquisher (8pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Daughters of the Flame (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Exemplar Bastions (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)
Holy Zealots (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Holy Zealot Monolith Bearer (2pts)
Nicia, Tear of Vengeance (3pts)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

The idea was a list that was more of a combined arms approach then the usual pop and drop
>>
>>43464314
Can you easily transport a collossus? Do you want to start cephalyx? Are you OK with not being unique?
Then you are fine.
Now putting competitivness aside you can run alot of different lists, can find stuff to handle most problem easily but some of your units will be made of shot quality.
Furthermore unlike most armies you might be inclined to go with a ramshackled look and different schemes which can lead to you messing stuff up by converting your warjack too much or ending with confusing mess of models.
>>
File: highlighted barny.jpg (636 KB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
highlighted barny.jpg
636 KB, 1936x2592
complete hobby noob here, how can I go about covering the opening in the medium sized bases. I have a good chunk of my gators painted now, but none of them based yet. I'm not looking to use greenstuff to fill that huge gap, but am unsure as to what the alternatives are. Should I get some cork or something like that then cover the remaining base in sand then paint it etc. ?
>>
>>43464733
I've heard Mercenaries are more expensive to collect, to what extent to you think this is true these days?
>>
>>43465160

They're broken up into a few distinct forces and it's very easy to own three merc lists that share only 1-2 models.

It's not like Circle where you can buy a warpwolf stalker, ghetorix, gorax, 2x shifting stones + 1 UA and a wilder and have 80% of the list for each caster
>>
>>43465160
While most faction do field different list which can be quite diverse (and increases cost) they usually share units.
With mercenaries you might even have two list (if playing different contract) which have no shared units.
Another point is a higher number solos.
Luckily most human ones use a limited warjacks: Mules, Nomads and Galleons.
>>
>>43465147
I just use a pice of tape. Just put it over the base and cut it around the edge with my hobby knife. Works like a dream. Just use a mid range packing tape. Then flocl or whatever over it.
>>
Is there a way that I can read up on the history of Warmahordes like the cygnar/menoth war and the skorne invasion. All of the Mark II books don't really explain alot of the fluff.
>>
>>43465160

Mercs have a lot going on with subfactions. Highborn gets cygnar units and cephalyx can have cryx solos, dwarf casters can only use dwarf jacks, and so on. The renegade can only be used by magnus. It's a hodge podge mishmash of stuff and when you win you feel like you did a magic trick.
>>
>>43465371
The RPG books.
>>
>>43463890

This is one of my favorite images in the whole setting. No magic shit flying about, no giant machines/monsters, just two shit tier infantry guys throwing down even though their conflict is a footnote and their purpose was fulfilled the moment they jammed up the enemy.
>>
Forge Master Syntherion (*6pts)
* Corollary (3pts)
* Galvanizer (0pts)
* Modulator (6pts) x 8
Optifex Directive (Leader and 2 Grunts) (2pts)
Optifex Directive (Leader and 2 Grunts) (2pts)
Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex (1pts)

So, this this is better, or one less Modulator and some other support pieces instead?
>>
>>43464563
Seems adequate. Rhupert might not be necessary. Seeing since you lack the book.
>>
>>43463561

NEW PASTIE. The current one doens't include NQ 62.

>textuploader <DOT> com / 5rkfo
>>
>>43467593
Need axiom.
>>
>>43468033
Is there anything for IK in 62?
>>
>>43468727
There's always something for the RPG.
>>
>>43468455
No it doesn't. That sort of defeats the purpose of the list.

Shit, Synth barely plays two Axioms anyways, he usually only plays one.
>>
New player looking to start with Legion. What's a good buying guide to them? Are either of the Vayls or the Thagroshs good?
>>
>>43469951
Both Vayl2 are very good, both Thags are good.

Ravagore, Scythean are your mainstays beasts for heavies. Shepards are excellent support pieces.
>>
>>43469951

buy 3 heavy kits and magnetize them then get a succubs, 2 forsaken, 2 shepherds, and 2 deathstalkers.

there you go you have 75% of the models you'll ever use
>>
>>43469951
>>43471147

also the only casters i wouldn't call good in legion are pabby, bethayne, and rhyas maybe plylyth. jury is still out on the twins for me
>>
I have a 3 caster event coming up on sat and I'm having a problem with my pairings. I know I want Gaspy2 and 3 since they are my bae.

My other casters are pDenny, pGaspy, Terminus and Venethrax. I dont have a ton of expirience with denny nor do i have the gun line. Termy, thrax and 3gaspy all want the same characters.
I guess I can go for the sexy 3 way, but pGaspy has no mat fixing, and BLT is in Lich2
>>
>>43473878
Go triple-sphyxious.
>>
>>43473878
>3 caster even

like what, 75 or 100pts? geebus that is gonna be insane
>>
What does /tg/ think of my Ossrum list?

Faction: Highborn Covenant
General Ossrum (*5pts)
* Ghordson Earthbreaker (19pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
Hammerfall Siege Crawler (9pts)
Horgenhold Forge Guard (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt (4pts)
Goblin Tinker (1pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile (2pts)
Thor Steinhammer (2pts)
>>
>>43474993
I think he means it's a three list event. not a three-caster event.

It doesn't sound like he's in Warcaster thunderdome, so I doubt any establishment in the world would prepare itself for the 100 hour slog that would be an actual 3-caster event.
>>
>>43475183
I think its generally important to have a game-plan in list building, and here's mine. Ossrum will be swapping snipe around between Big E.B. and the crawler, allocating the rest and keeping his assassinatable ass well back. The guns shoot things down on the approach as the gun mages do gun mage things, like killing stealth models. A&H make menoth cry by giving EB magic guns that bury them in terrain, and debuff hard targets to get shot to death. Hammer-dwarves generally stay in reserve and might charge in on feat turn. Gorman helps hide the caster and can lead to ranged assassinations. Dougal may buff the crawler more of the time than EB but I'd have to test it.
>>
>>43474993
3 list event, 50 pts my bad
>>43474838
Allsphyxious? That could be interesting. What to bring with pGaspy...
>>
>>43469365
>T. Shiter
>>
Joining a weird slow grow in a month.

The idea is to start 20 points. Every week adds another 5 until we hit 75. You can't swap out your warcaster and the amount of other stuff you can swap in and out is limited but I don't know exactly how much right now.

I own trolls. I am aware that until 25+ the games are gonna be rock-paper-scissors.

The cryx player is running Gaspy1 tier with 30 Mcthralls. Merc player is trying out his Cephalyx. Circle player is a weirdo and playing Morv1 dude spam + shamblers for max recycling. I wanted to run MMM cause I just got it all painted up, but knowing almost half the people in the league are running dudespam makes me 2nd guess myself.

I was thinking of tweaking the first list like so
Grissel Bloodsong (*5pts)
* Dire Troll Mauler (9pts)
Northkin Fire Eaters (4pts)
Northkin Fire Eaters (4pts)
Trollkin Warders (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)

But I don't know if they will be enough even with pGriss to handle dude spam.
>>
>>43475352
Are the magic guns super duper worth it though? You could take out A&H and the tinker and have 5 points to spend.
>>
>>43476600
What?
>>
>>43476985
>pGaspy tier with 30 mcthralls
Go 6 slayers or go home
>>
>>43477268
Dual axiom is the best syntherion
>>
It's a shame. I've been really wanting to get back into Warmahordes---once my funds catch up---due to the Iron Kingdoms game I'm running, and I'd like to try and get the friends in my game into it as well, but they're too turned off by the somewhat frustrating assembly some of the models require.
>>
>>43467576
Legionnaires and Praetorians are actually, 1 on 1 pretty good as far as mooks go. Just look at Penetrating Strike (which doesn't affect warriors because balance).
>>
>>43479186
Horseshit.

About the only thing it has going for it is cycling Hot Shot, and Assimilators can usually hit as many models as the PAs would be hitting anyways.

Single PA's plently good with Synth, and double is fine, but it's hardly the best.
>>
>>43479738
Double axiom is an A+ bitch to deal with.

And you get to place BOTH of your big balls on the tabletop instead of one.
>>
>>43479752
Syntherion has zero defensive tech for them that actually does anything. He's just going to lose them.
>>
>>43479769
>I don't know how syntherion works
>Lmao synergy dude

Syntherion dual axiom vs fist of halaak.

Guess the result? Syntherion wins by tabling halaak.
>>
I have a question. Is the only reason people do not play Helga in tier is the lack of dealing with rough terrain?
>>
>>43479924
Not the only reason. The big reason is that the Meat Thresher isn't out yet, so the Tier 1 bonus does nothing. Also, the Tier 2 bonus is worse than the normal thornfall pact if you plan on using brigands (In pact all farrow units gain AD, in her theme only Maximus and the Slaughterhousers do). But yes, not being able to take Saxon Orrik for the Pathfinder is a reason. But since the Meat Threshers have pathfinder innately you will likely see her in Theme more often once they get released this month.
>>
>>43479963
Adding to this, in Pact all farrow units and solos get FA+1. So out of tier Helga can run 3 units of Slaughterhousers but only 2 in tier.
>>
>>43479963
>>43480001
lol, yeah, shit. I keep thinking the meat thresher was released last month... i swear if it get delay again, I'll just be sad
>>
What army should I play of I enjoy a play style like tons of debuffs, removing buffs, and poison?
So far I'm leaning towards cyrx but is there anything else? I'm ok with losing a ton to try and get the hang of an army.
>>
>>43480588
Cryx does everything you describe to a T.

Menoth does the same things but with fire instead of poison and acid.
>>
>>43464563
needs more errants
>>
>>43477230
I mean, Holt also is a badass with two hand cannons, but you make a valid point. If I subtract A+H and tinker, I could put in an Eyriss or Hernne and Jon plus a solo. Harlan Versh maybe.
>>
>>43482416
Or a min unit of Forge Guard for that extra bit of punch. But yeah, Eiryss and Taryn/Versh is good.
>>
>>43475183
Tell us how the Siege Crawler is. Reading over the profile, it seems thoroughly decent.
>>
File: 20150905_194039.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150905_194039.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
What has everyone been working on?
>>
>>43483778
Painting Nyss hunters and necro surgeons + scrap thralls.
May be revisiting eGaspy and Venethrax soon
>>
File: 1445984117523.jpg (74 KB, 842x758) Image search: [Google]
1445984117523.jpg
74 KB, 842x758
>>43483778
Assembling old Iron Fang Pikemen that I had never opened and painting my Zerkova2 theme list
>>
>>43483778
Painting Croak Raiders.
>>
File: 9XnEQ64oYD8.jpg (42 KB, 604x397) Image search: [Google]
9XnEQ64oYD8.jpg
42 KB, 604x397
I'm going to the local tournament in the near time. I already have some gaming experience, but since I have pretty limited number of miniatures yet, I'll go with a single list.
It is almost all I have, so question isn't "how to change this list", but more like "how will it play" and "what to expect".
Aside from models used in the list, I have other 'jacks from battle box, pAsphy, Orin Midwinter, 4 more McThralls and Machine Wraith.

Faction: Cryx
Casters: 1/1
> Points: 50/50
Warwitch Deneghra (*5pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Bane Thrall Officer & Standard (3pts)
Bile Thralls (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (Cylena and 9 Grunts) (10pts)
Mechanithralls (Leader and 5 Grunts) (3pts)
Necrosurgeon & 3 Stitch Thralls (2pts)
Bane Lord Tartarus (4pts)
Necrotech & 1 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
Saxon Orrik (2pts)
Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (9pts)
>>
>>43488207
No reason not to bring gaspy as your second list
>>
>>43488308
I can't with character restrictions:

> Points: 40/50
Iron Lich Asphyxious (*6pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Defiler (5pts)
* Slayer (6pts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Bane Thrall Officer & Standard (3pts)
Bile Thralls (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Mechanithralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (5pts)
Necrosurgeon & 3 Stitch Thralls (2pts)
Machine Wraith (1pts)
Necrotech & 1 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor (2pts)
>>
>>43488387
>>43488308
Well, maybe I can, If I add Slayer to Deneghra and transfer some characters to Gaspy. But I'll get two lists, each worse. And I just don't see a [point - I don't think Gaspy would play so much different.
>>
>>43488387
You don't need Tartarsauce in your Denny list if you're wanting to bring Gaspy
>>
File: 1418604043968.jpg (123 KB, 786x1017) Image search: [Google]
1418604043968.jpg
123 KB, 786x1017
>>43489090
I don't want. I don't think that 2 lists is such important, given my situation.
>>
>>43489200
You need two lists for a Steamroller
>>
>>43489414
AFAIK, no - I can, but I don't need.
> Players can bring a second army list if they choose.

Two lists are better - more flexibility. But it my situation it would be 2 lists for the sake of it only. So I'd rather go with one
>>
>>43489524
Yeah, its not always the best idea to bring multiple lists, especially if you have to play each list at least once.
>>
>>43489524
One is fine for starters. You'll want to bring two eventually though.
>>
What are some good starting warcasters for learning Highborne?
>>
>>43490609

Damiano, Ashlyn, McBain, and Gorton. Damiano makes everything good, Ashlyn lets you skew as hard as you can, McBain plays well with characters and Gorton lets you play earthbreaker.
>>
>>43490897
What's "skew"?

Also, not going to buy a gargantuan until I get really into the game.
>>
>>43491276
A skew is when you have a lot of a specific thing i.e high armor, high def, incoroprial or stealth to name a few

It might be better to buy the earffbreaker since its very good and lessens the modle count
>>
>>43481544
>Menoth
>Debuffs

Wut
>>
>>43483239
Initial verdict on the Siege Crawler after a single practice game is that most people's initial impressions are pretty much correct. It puts out a pretty good number of attacks, dougal is nice on it when you can spare not buffing the earthbreaker. The crawler was actually pretty hard for my opponent to remove since he positioned the armor-crackers across from the EB.
>>
>>43483778
Painting my Legion. Did Kallus and the Rhyas half of the eTwins today. Deathstalkers and forsaken hopefully get a tleast some work done soon.
>>
>>43493688
>using the shooty battle engine to split the enemy's nutcrackers

Thanks for the idea anon.
>>
File: Pre-Haley2 Nerf.jpg (80 KB, 550x719) Image search: [Google]
Pre-Haley2 Nerf.jpg
80 KB, 550x719
>>43494317
>>43486086
>>43486784
>>43487281

Pics, all of you.
>>
>>43491276

"Skew" means a lot of something, whatever it is. Many Ashlyn lists go def skew and "crit fishing", going for crit effects on feat turn. Gunmages marshalling a mule going thunderbolt crid devestates everything in the aoe 3" and knocks it down. Crit slams from hammerdorfs wreck on her feat turn, and steelhead cav roll 6k4 on a flank charge. She's decent in combat with Rocinante around, but she's fragile. She has to get really close to get disrtaction off, and only magnus gets arc nodes.
>>
>>43493647
i miss mk1 reznik debuff-battlegroup support
>>
As a Skorne player, what is the best caster to use to leverage our beasts well and have them do a ton of work? Because I am reaching the end of my rope and getting really burnt out after seeing my heavies trivially removed, tied up, or otherwise controlled by everything under the goddamn sun.

I look at all the common casters people suggest and they all seem to have crippling flaws. Xerxis2 and Morghoul1 have great spell lists and feats, but they're both Fury 5 which means trying to support a bunch of beasts usually gets them killed since they can't camp enough and have to be on the frontline. Makeda3 has the perfect feat and can survive being up front, but does nothing else for the battlegroup and only has two beast points. Naaresh likewise has an excellent feat, but he doesn't really do anything else and just seems weak. Hexeris2 and Rasheth are probably the closest I've seen to ok, but the former doesn't really do much besides remove high defense infantry and the latter does fuck-all against non-living models.

tl;dr What caster supports our beasts bests?
>>
>>43496906
You just listed like every beast caster in the faction and then some. You clearly know what your options are, so have you considered that it isn't the casters that are the problem in this equation?
>>
>>43496906
Look into Chain Gang, not a skorne player, but I know Ras is there go to beast support caster and that theme force is great.
>>
>played a game against a new player
>25 pts, he took pkreoss and errants with a couple jacks
>took strakhov with ifp and ruin, widowmakers and shit
>murder kreoss top of 3 because he was just standing in open ground
was it bad of me not to warn him to not put kreoss out in the open with a clear charge lane? i helped him out a bit during the game but didnt want to play it for him
>>
>>43497100
I have, and it's probably true. Just super frustrated at the moment since my local meta seems to answer everything I throw at it. If it's not Runes of War, it's Cryx. If not Cryx, then it's Cephalyx. And if it's not Cephalyx, it's Doomy3, or eKreuger or eVayl or pVayl or pGrissel FireMountain. It's either swarms of super cheap, hard hitting infantry that can just alpha me first and eliminate 2-4 heavies, or it's some kind of control caster that casually pulls everything out of position and kills it and runs away, or its swarms of cheap, super durable hard hitting infantry.

I feel like I can't spread out enough, or I'm not fast enough, or I can't protect my beasts to have a chance. I'm really starting to feel like heavy warbeasts are a trap option now since they really only kill heavies well and they don't do enough work vs Warders or infantry before being hacked apart.

I'm seriously considering just running Fist of Halaak and ponying up the money to get the millions of Cataphrachts I'll need.
>>
>>43497157
Get bugs with pMorg, laugh at every single Legion player that will play against you.
>>
>>43496906
>As a Skorne player, what is the best caster to use to leverage our beasts well and have them do a ton of work? Because I am reaching the end of my rope and getting really burnt out after seeing my heavies trivially removed, tied up, or otherwise controlled by everything under the goddamn sun.

How? I've never seen Skorne get man handled like that. I'm not saying they are unbeatable, but Ive never seen them lose hard.

>>43497157

You need to start looking into competitive Skorne lists. Figure out what makes them work and why. Watch videos of pros playing this stuff, learn from them. Apply this knowledge to your own meta and develop your own lists and methods for dealing with it.
>>
>>43497121
>was it bad of me not to warn him to not put kreoss out in the open with a clear charge lane? i helped him out a bit during the game but didnt want to play it for him

I think there are very few "good" casters for people to play against when they first start out.

Strakov is by no means great, but he can alpha incredibly hard. A new player wont have the knowledge or ability to deal with it, ignorance is the absolute best match up for him. I once thought Karchev would be a great learning caster. Several jacks and a cute gimmick, how bad could it be? I felt extremely guilty afterwards and it steered a new player away from the game for many years.

I think a very well balanced harkevich list might be okay. No surprises, no ball busting feat or combos, just mediocrity.
>>
>>43497157
>If it's not Runes of War, it's Cryx. If not Cryx, then it's Cephalyx. And if it's not Cephalyx, it's Doomy3, or eKreuger or eVayl or pVayl or pGrissel FireMountain.

Unfortunately, beast bricks are not the way to answer almost all of those lists. If you really want to run beast heavy against something like Cryx, then you need to start considering ranged heavy battlegroups including stuff like Mammoths, Raiders, Sentinels, or Drakes. If you're running a melee heavy battlegroup, then you'll almost always trade poorly with factions that can take advantage of them easily.
>>
File: 839421.png (273 KB, 582x524) Image search: [Google]
839421.png
273 KB, 582x524
Simple program for simplification of iron kingdoms texts decryption. So that you can "type" the text on the picture, instead of navigating tables or guessing it in text editor.
You'll need to install fonts from folder "Fonts".
Author: Clockwork Toruk (not me)

> Down-d link: goo <d0t> gl/QDo7qf
>>
Hey warmachine nuts, I have a question.

I'm looking to get in to the game and was wondering which faction is fast moving and hard hitting-est? I like play styles that reward good decision making and quick action, and somewhat glass canon type units. Is there a faction for me? Or do I just build a list in any faction that I like the look of and find a caster that plays that way?
>>
>>43499621

Legion of everblight
>>
Kind of new to Warmachine and looking to start a 15 point army with Durst. So far I'm thinking
Durst (+6pts)
Reckoner (8pts)
Reckoner (8pts)
Min choir (2pts)
Vassal of menoth (2pts)
Wracks (1pts)

I was also thinking about swapping out one of the Reckoners for a Templar just for a little extra meele ability. thoughts?
>>
>>43499621
Sounds like Circle Orboros. They're entire thing is running in at mach five, hitting like a freight train, then running away to do it all over again next turn. They're very powerful, but if you fuck up all your shit dies because your armor is made of twigs and mud.
>>
>>43499621

Legion.
>>
>>43500052
Don't get fooled by the Reckoner's gun, it can beat face just like a dedicated melee heavy, but with the added benefit of having a fucking amazing gun.

Seriously, unless you've got a VERY specific reason for taking a heavy that isn't the Reckoner, you just take the damn Reckoner. It may very well be the most cost efficient heavy warjack in the entire game.
>>
>>43496906

If you are honestly at the end of your rope and in that way, try this:

Take Mordikaar. Give him about 30 points of beasts, some support, and a bit of chaff.

Screen with the hollow-unit, sure, but just play stupid. Don't be clever about somehow getting the alpha, don't agonize over the other guy's charge lanes. Play stupid, Paralytic-Aura if you got it.

But right before they kick your teeth in on that first alpha, Pop Feat.

Play on.
>>
>>43478872

not 100 mcthralls

why even live?
>>
>>43503309
Well that requires me to buy, "assemble"(clean), paint, base and transport 100 McThralls.
>>
>>43504071

well yes but the feeling of amusement!
>>
>>43504151
Fuck that. I'd rather be amused running 30 bane knights, or 6 slayers (regarding pGaspy's tier)
>>
>>43504594

well also you're opponent will almost always clock themselves before killing you
>>
>>43504633
Unless they are cryx and can purge all over me with impunity
>>
>>43506508

they still have to roll at least 100 damage rolls

that shit adds up and a unit of bile thralls could get like 25 unless you are just bricked up
>>
>>43501702
Tried something like that, but turns out having Mordikaar as your Cryx drop when they have pSkarre ends with you losing most of your shit on turn 2
>>
>>43506570
They dont roll anything. They measure the 13 inch death bubble and you remove everything because purge is POW12 and mxthralls are arm12
>>
>>43493688
Second game with above Ossrum list, this time on vassal. Played against eSkarre with raiders, witches, and bane riders. Cryx is certainly not the matchup I'm looking at for this list if I had a competitive two-list pair. Unsurprisingly the Crawler did very little in this game.

Side note, getting tired of playing a million cryx players on vassal. What is good anti-cryx tech in mercenaries? I sort of want to try Shae's theme.
>>
would anyone happen to have a archive of all/most of the warmachine/horde art? I'd much appreciate it if it exists

if not does anyone have a good quality picture of wrong eye from hordes minions? I cant seem to find a good picture of him
>>
File: 44eb6e130f7c22c13913c67eb99.jpg (205 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
44eb6e130f7c22c13913c67eb99.jpg
205 KB, 1000x800
>>43510099
>>
>>43510171
Thanks anon!
I needed it for my next pathfinder character
>>
>>43504633
Or you'll get DQed for not being able to tell the units apart, or moving them incorrectly, or clocking yourself attempting to move everything.
>>
>>43510329
So, looking to get into gators here soon, doing a sorta slow growth thing, whats a good first few purchases? Looking to start with barnabas at a build your own battlebox level
>>
>>43511221
DIdnt mean to quote there, whoops
>>
>>43476985
Just run Madrak1 and go surfing, you'll kill the world on his feat turn with that much dudespam.
>>
>>43511221
Wrastler, posse x2, croak raiders, feralgiest, swamp gobbers, bull snapper
>>
>>43508265
if you're playing a cheese list with the intention of clocking your opponent, then you make them role every damage role. it's not a good sport thing to do but you can force a roll even if it's literally impossible for the role to fail
>>
>>43513746
Yea, until your opponent calls the TO over and you get warned for bad sportsmanship. And then get DQed for doing it again if you continue.
>>
>>43513834
>Yea, until your opponent calls the TO over and you get warned for bad sportsmanship. And then get DQed for doing it again if you continue

making your opponent roll dmg no matter what is a thing.
>>
>>43513847
A thing that can get you DQed, yes.

TO has final say, and no TO who's actually worth anything is actually going to let a player get away with what you're talking about.
>>
>>43513860
>A thing that can get you DQed, yes.

its really not that big of deal.

Roll to hit. Did you hit? pick of the dice and immediately drop them then proceed to the next attack roll. Your opponent cost you a fraction of a second (its pointless).
>>
>>43514113

Of course, if someone is enough of a cunt to try use damage rolls to clock you out, he's probably also enough of a cunt to call the TO on you for dropping rather than rolling.
>>
>>43514113
The problem is the framing.

With how it's going, the player can demand to check the results of the die roll every single time, which is going to cost more time.
>>
>>43514183

I've yet to see that happen. I would purpose that if you are fast rolling out in the open and both players are aware that even with double ones you are still delivering killing blows the other guy couldnt possibly ask for any more for fear the judge would come over and butt fuck him.
>>
>>43514134

If youre being that autistic the judge would bend you over a barrel. This isnt MTG where you win based on rules mistakes.
>>
>>43514332
But his strategy is dependent on you taking too long rolling to win.

Letting you roll quickly defeats his entire purpose.

He's going to be a dick about it and hope you don't call the TO over.
>>
So it's been some time. What's the versict on Xerxis2 and Absylonia2?
>>
>>43514387
X2 is a very powerful, but fairly hard to play caster. positioning is huge for him, and some matches he just dies too, but he's got a very powerful feat and a pretty damn good spell list.

Abby2 is like a melee Vayl1, a super alpha caster who does tons of damage.
>>
>>43514387

X2 would honestly be one of Skornes best (if not flat out best) caster if he wasn't on a huge base.

He is a straight forward, point and click, force multiplication caster who doesn't have any shitty anti-synergies, disparate design elements or special requirements/downsides to make him work which is more than I can say for every other decent Skorne caster. Unfortunately he is easy to deliver a beast/jack to and has a 10" control area so keeping him alive is tough.

Still, he is fun as hell.
>>
>>43513746
>you can force a roll even if it's literally impossible for the role to fail
No. No you cannot.
>>
>>43496906
Suck it up and deal. Skorne honestly doesn't have any good answers to cryx, RoW, Cephalyx or the Vayls. THe best way to play is get them to fight an attrition game and wear them down then go for the caster kill. Mordikaar, Zaal1/2, Xexis 1, and to some extent Hexy 2 are good at this.
>>
>>43515346
As a cryx player, what I want to see the least from skorne are incindies, especially under ehexy, followed very closely by eXerxis drake spam, signs and portents magic pow14 sprays on spd8 pathfinder beasts is a terrible, terrible thing to try to drop single wound infantry spam into.
>>
>>43464563
Kreoss1 is obsolete unless you are a newb.
If however you're a newb, then that's a decent list to start with.

There are plenty things wrong with it, but you have to find out for yourself by playing it.
>>
>>43500052
oh lordy. Don't bother with 15pts.
1) Play the basic battlebox games (Kreoss, crusader, repenter, revenger)
2) LOSE
3) learn how to play
4) Then move up to 35pts and later still 50pts.
>>
>>43517989
I've played a few games with a friends 2 player battle box and got most of the rules down but I was thinking that 15 pts would be good to learn another warcaster that's not Kreoss. And I can use that 15 point army as a base to build a bigger one.
>>
>>43518341
I don't know Menoth specifically, so this might be an awful strategy in specific.
But you should just get good pieces in general for an army at 35ish points or so then start swapping casters in and out till you find the right play style. After that you can start to tune your list to what you really want.
>>
>>43518341
it's a good policy as long as you remain aware that at 15 things aren't quite balanced.
Read your journeyman packet today!
>>
File: Mohsar the Desertwalker.png (761 KB, 578x598) Image search: [Google]
Mohsar the Desertwalker.png
761 KB, 578x598
Regarding the fluff in the new book, is Mohsar going to confront Kreuger directly? Or is he going to pull some mystical cockblocking shit on the Kreug's plans somehow?

Also, will people ever stop fucking with Brad's work? I think not.
>>
>>43517933
>Come with Purification and other spell hate
>Has a decent timelock feat even if you don't assassinate with it
>Supports his army pretty well
>Obsolete
>>
>>43517933

what is 14 inches of "If you aren't fury/focus 7, you probably only get one spell max."
>>
File: suddenly plausible.png (804 KB, 665x478) Image search: [Google]
suddenly plausible.png
804 KB, 665x478
>>43519825
In theory Mohsar is his boss, and at the very least can deny a lot of resources and manpower to Kreuger, particularly if he has the agreement of the other Omnipotents.

In Practice, they can't really oppose wurmwood openly (any more than they already have, the exact terms of the alliance isn't clear). Expect rules lawyering alllll day and promised stuff not turning up for Kreuger at a pivotal moment (and it not mattering a bit when wurmwood turns up with help anyway)

I'm more interested in if they are going to go to the old witch, it's clear they think wurmwood has gone too far, and they aren't above playing both sides for the good of the circle (hell that's supposed to be the POINT of the circle)

never he would have nothing to do with the main plot if people left his places of power alone
>>
>>43519825
>>43520448
Bradigus has that sort of Japanese salaryman vibe to him. Like he's so used to pain and disappointment that he doesn't even acknowledge them anymore, but his soul dies a little more every sunrise.
>>
>>43522350
>oh my stones got nerfed...
>oh ok Krueger, you can hang up on me
>oh ok boss, please continue yelling at me

I bet he does wolds exclusively because all the furry beasts ntr him for kaya.

Being brad is suffering
>>
I'm trying to decide whether to run aurora tier or not. she's so good for other infantry but giving the angels stelth first round is so useful
>>
>>43522864
Most shooting that scares angels doesn't give a shit about stealth.

Aurora tier is about super threating the assassination and nothing else.
>>
>>43522929

fair enough. I didn't want to buy two more angels anyway lol
>>
>>43518341

pSeverius and pFeora are decent for branching out and learning, pReznik if you favor agression. Severius makes everything decent, eye of menoth all day.

Grab choir if you haven't.
>>
File: 1WuIYB7.jpg (77 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1WuIYB7.jpg
77 KB, 960x720
Can you say, "Grolar"?
>>
File: MC-0437E-400.png (86 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
MC-0437E-400.png
86 KB, 400x400
What do you think about Steelhead Riflemen in Cryx? Are they worthy?
Considering, that Nyss Hunters already in the list.
>>
>>43525083
Faaaake
the photo is too blurry and eye witness testimony is too vague.

It's probably just a weather balloon or a foreign exchange student. These mythical jacks simply aren't real.
>>
>>
>>43525323
That mace is stupid big.
>>
>>43514371

At that point i would also ask a judge over, I know he is going to side with me.
>>
>>43525342
Well it is POW 14
>>
Here's my list.

Main plan with it is to shoot 'em up, jam them with some nihilators and if anything goes past/there are some tough warjacks, throw abuse on Titan Gladiator and enrage him to shred the remains or kill high priority targets.

System: Hordes
Faction: Skorne
Casters: 1/1
Master Tormentor Morghoul (*7pts)
* Cyclops Raider (5pts)
* Aradus Sentinel (8pts)
* Titan Gladiator (8pts)
Nihilators (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Extoler Soulward (2pts)
Mortitheurge Willbreaker (2pts)

If I could squeeze in an agonizer in there it'd be gold, a shame.

What do you guys think of it? (I made this list not only because of versatility, but I just love the models and will be way more motivated to paint them)
>>
>>43525212
Your reference made me smile anon
>>
>>43527912
why thank you Senator.
>>
>>43526339
Kinda all over the place.
>>
how do ou guys feel about the new minions?
>>
>>43532436
Chef is going to be bought just for lulz
>>
>>43532436
Both the pigs are awsome
>>
>>43533244
What about the candlegator?
>>
>>43533313
>>43533313
Eh. I'm a Cryx player, not a minions player. I likt the idea of Caliban and the Blindwalker makes him an option. Its p shit otherwise desu. Intrestingly, you can take him on wrong-eye wich it p funny
>>
File: 75070_SwampGobberChefRenderNS.jpg (53 KB, 263x278) Image search: [Google]
75070_SwampGobberChefRenderNS.jpg
53 KB, 263x278
>>43532436
If this is really some 1 pt fury management solo that works for both minion contracts then it's pretty cool. Could allow S&D and Carver to go big with the hog spam. Would also be interesting with the lesser warlocks in other factions.
>>
>>43533313
I find the candle gator kinda stupid. It has no idea what it wants to be.

As a front line beast, the combat stats are garbage and fury too low.

As a back line beast it's not noding and the stats are still too bad to be a second wave heavy

The saving grace is the pt cost, but what the hell are you even using it for?
>>
>>43536120
> faction gets its first arc-node
> people still complaining
I see now why minions are bad. And models aren't the main reason.
>>
>>43536120
To actually be able to play calaban and rip through armour.
>>
>>43536300
Farrow players want node. Gator players want decent statted beasts.
>>
>>43536300

It's a shit arc node on the wrong side of minions. If it was in pigs then it would be received completely differently. As it is though you're going to pay premium to arc what? Parasite? Deadweight? Big deal.
>>
>>43536503
Being able to arc parasite on 2-3 targets in a turn when you got croak raiders seems pretty damn nice to me.
>>
>>43536578
How are you getting the 3rd one? Feat?

Parasite alone isn't worth really dropping Calaban when Rask or Jaga Jaga is possible. Calaban is still a mess of a warlock with skornergy issues within his own kit.
>>
>>43536622
Yeah, but makes him actually playable at least.
>>
>>43536622
>How are you getting the 3rd one? Feat?
Yes, obviously. Get blindwalker in position and put up the animus. Activate Calaban, arc parasite on the target you want and feat. Croak raiders murder parasite'd target, calaban gets a fury and can arc another parasite. Remaining croak raiders kill second target, calaban get's another fury and arcs another parasite.

Calabans whole skornergy issue was that he was a spellslinger that couldn't sling his spells because his gun creating arc nodes didn't work and he's too squishy to move forward to get in range. Having an arc node makes him pretty usable and against some matchups better at armor cracking then the other gator caster. He's not going to be some sort of new tournament monster but at least he's an option now. Most other factions would love to get a single release that makes their worst caster(s) usable.
>>
>>43536708
Hes really fun now, proxied the candlenode in him and tore through jacks and units with croaks and a sacral vault. Not a new breakout caster youll see all the time, but can actually play the game now
>>
Could an especially ambitious Gatorman Bokor become a lich of Cyrx?
>>
>>43536955
As far as I understand it, anything with a soul can.
>>
Anyone have any advice on fighting armor skew with Khador that isn't Butcher3 or Sorcha2?
>>
>>43537997
Butcher1 has Fury and Feat, Butcher 2 has Fury (also Mad Dogs of War), the Irusks both have Battle Lust, the Vlads have SnP/HoF.
>>
>>43536708
No that's him just sucking.

His actual skornegy was the fact that the gun doesn't kill so he can't get a spell off with it and carnivore rfps so he couldn't get a spell off either. There are so many ways to do +2 to hit and they had to take the skornegy one.
>>
>>43538043
I was hoping the answer wasn't more Butchers. I really don't like him thematically, but apparently PP thinks hes the best thing ever.
>>
>>43541989
Your question is "I'm in Khador and how do I kill things" of course it's going to include the butchers .
>>
>>43541989

Well, you basically asked "Tell me what cracks armor best in Khador except all the things that crack armor best in Khador."

It's the Butchers, Sorcha2 and Irusk. Those are whats best in life.
>>
So a friend of mine is interested in joining me as I start into hordes and he's decided that he much prefers the look of trollbloods to anything else. I'm really glad he found an army he likes the style of but I don't know much at all about them.

Could anyone here fill me in on a general purchase order for him? Is the battlebox decent value, or are those units largely unused? If its good then what should be some first purchases afterwards aiming for 35pts? Cost effectiveness is important, as its his first time into wargaming and he doesn't want to go bankrupt before he knows he's into it for real.
>>
>>43542547
scour the earth for the troll all in one army box, 35 points of babbys first meat mountain, he'll use everything in the box in multiple lists and it's cost effective

If I had the big meaty fist edit I would post it
>>
>>43536499

Minions is all about having garbo units and beasts and having warlocks who have JUST enough tools to make it all work.
>>
>>43537997

>Anyone have any advice on fighting armor skew with Khador that isn't Butcher3 or Sorcha2?

y tho

Khador doesnt really need damage buffs to crack armor, they just need to field the units that are capable of doing it in the first place. That said

pIrusk, eIrusk, Butcher1, Butcher2. To a lesser extent Vlads.
>>
>>43542791
As is the case with most factions. Unfortunately I don't think we'll have much luck finding him one.
>>
>>43542791
>>43543349
Would it still be worthwhile at all to buy all those kits one by one? Or if we're going piecemeal anyway then should we get other stuff?
>>
>>43543349
When I was looking to get into trolls I had trouble deciding on what to purchase. Each of their casters can run fairly different lists which is cool and fun, but can get expensive quickly. I guess have him look at the casters then do a sort of slow growth style until he has at least 1 35 points list
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
My protectorate all in one box is slowly going somewhere. Severius is ready but i need some tips for him.
Like how can i make good use of his fire spell and feat, when my next games are most likely Skorne or protectorate.
>>
>>43544162
Well, that depends. Which fire spell do you mean? He has ashes to ashes and immolation. His feat you make use of by using it against Warmachine casters for the most part. Depending on the Hordes caster you drop into his feat can be useful but you end up losing out on the focus manipulation effects.
>>
>>43535176
>Let us pray Trolls can't field it.
>>
>>43535176
So is this actually a thing? Because it wasn't in any of the books which leaves me somewhat skeptical. Have they done out of book releases before?
>>
>>43544342
Yeah they have. I think one of the Kovniks was released before the book.
>>
>>43544342
>Have they done out of book releases before?

Acosta and that one Steelhead Solo were both NQ releases, as were the Black Dragon UA and Silver Line Stormguard.

It's also possible that it's simply going to be in the next Hordes book. They release models way in advance of the books they're in all the time.
>>
>>43543505
Still worth it since every thing has uses. Champs might be a later purchase though. Mulg, janissa, fell caller are faction signatures not in the box
>>
>>43544447
Fair enough, when is the new No Quarter to come anyhow?
>>
>>43544313
The salespitch mentions he works for several factions, both minion pacts and circle. Almost every minion that works for circle also works for trolls, so I'd say you're outta luck. He might of course be complete garbage, maybe having medicate and inflict pain on his knife or something.
On the PP forums they seem to think he might let you sacrifice models in his CMD to clear the furry of of beasts in his CMD during the maintanance phase, kind of like the troll whelps comfort food ability.
>>
>>43544665
NQ 63 is gonna come out this month. The gobbo chef and new bog trog solo aren't gonna get released until februray though so I doubt their gonna be in this months issue.
>>
File: 1422067942274.jpg (115 KB, 536x795) Image search: [Google]
1422067942274.jpg
115 KB, 536x795
>>43542791
>>
Lylyth2 5
Blightbringer 18
Ravagore 10
Ravagore 10
Naga 5
Croak Raiders 8
Shepard 1
Shepard 1
Forsaken/Succubus 2

CANT WAIT GIB BLIGHTBRINGER NOW PP
>>
>>43544162
I am digging that paint scheme, the blue and brass in particular look rad as fuck. That said, have you considered painting the sand on the base? it looks a little... slimy
>>
>>43548158
No Bolt Thrower for the knockdown?
>>
why do people insist on only setting up boards with only 1 forest, 1 hill and 2 walls?
>>
>>43551542
I prefer 2 hills/trench, 2 forest and a few linear obstacles.

Probably because its more irritating to move top heavy modles around on stupid 3D hills (gaspy hates 3d hills).
>>
>>43551648
we have flat terrain......
>>
Are there any factions or lists that Legion struggles against?
>>
>>43551542
Most Warmachine players have a "FOX ONLY, FINAL DESTINATION" type mentality.

It's annoying as hell, and in the case of my area it makes people shy away from starting because the tables look boring.
>>
>>43552116
You might
>>
>>43552854
Buy some felt for $0.50 at a craft store or Walmart and cut it into shapes

Green for forests, brown for hills, blue for water. Pretty simple shit.
>>
>>43552957
Do you play at my store? Because that's how we handle it.
>>
>>43552807
Column A
>>43551648
Column B

Column C is for Casual. No one chooses column C.
>>
>>43553591
Rather I should have said
"The main reasons for both is a little of Columns A and B."

...but I feel compelled to add in that jab to the molasses quick game of magic that is Warmachines/Hordes.
>>
>>43544162
Severius is Spiderman
>>
>>43551542

depending on army composition it can make for an extremely unbalanced game.

You need to play the game more before you start bitching about shit you don't understand.
>>
>>43553779
Even considering that, 1 forest, a hill and a couple walls isn't enough terrain.
>>
>>43553792
>43553792

then you dont have it in the right spot. A forest in the middle of a zone is a huge deal.
>>
>>43553890
Okay, so you have a forest that's game relevant. It's still not enough terrain.

Why are you so against terrain?
>>
>>43553976
Go play infinity if you want so much terrain. Steamroller is clear in terrain placements.
>>
>>43554042
>Steamroller is clear in terrain placements.

You mean the same Steamroller that says "an average table should have five to seven pieces of terrain placed closely enough to eliminate large open areas"?
>>
>>43554112
The same steam roller that says no walls, obstructions in zones, away at 5 inches from flags and objectives. Hills, forest, shallow water within 3 inches from objectives and flags while permissable in zones.

walls and objectives may not be placed within 5 inches or any terrain, hills, forest, shallow water may be placed with minimum spacing of 3 inches.
>>
>>43554161
>Hills, forest, shallow water within 3 inches from objectives and flags

It doesn't say that anywhere. Those are Unrestricted Terrain types that can be placed anywhere except in deployment zones or withing 2" of another terrain piece (except for trenches which can be placed in contact with other trenches).

>walls and objectives may not be placed within 5 inches or any terrain

Doesn't say that, either. It says they can't be placed within 5" of another piece of Restricted Terrain (i.e. another obstruction or linear obstacle)

>hills, forest, shallow water may be placed with minimum spacing of 3 inches.

It's 2", not 3".

And none of this changes the fact that the Steamroller document says that you should use 5-7 pieces of terrain. How about you actually read the Steamroller document?
>>
>>43548397
The sand will be painted. Its just not dry yet.
>>
>>43553631
A flame tossing, fanatical old man spiderman, yes.
>>
>>43554328
>Buh my Collosals.
>>
>>43553449
Doubt it. I'm in bumfuck nowhere that only has 4 active Warmahordes players due to some recent happenings.
>>
File: 39 - k55nl.jpg (17 KB, 300x388) Image search: [Google]
39 - k55nl.jpg
17 KB, 300x388
>>43554359
Enough shit posting and spam from me.

I just went to my first steamroller in 3 years and realized that I have lost my feel for the game.

I dropped after first round after realizing I was not ready and did not put enough thinking into my list to stand any chance. I know it's kind of a shit attitude, but I did not want to sour the game for my opponent for the next 3 rounds. (I tend to mope when I see that the opponent has a clear path to victory when I don't see one for me and given my choices I felt like that was going to be the case every game)

...but is "Pick a strategy, then dial it to eleven" the de facto way of playing the game now?

Nearly every list except 3 dudes seemed to revolve around picking a strat and either spamming things around it. Like a more nuanced and fine tuned form of Dudespam from the early MKII days. I recall being able to take near whatever ( so long as it wasn't absolute garbage) and be able to deal with what was on the board. Granted the best I ever won was Third. Twice.

Now it kind of feels like Magic, but played really slowly. Where the idea is to build around "Token Spell", "Weaponmaster Spam", "Theme list" and then focus all or nothing on that.

I'm playing Legion with a Mixed Arms/ skew heavy beasts approach and it seems that if I face DoodSpams I have an uphill battle unless I alpha first or have a control style feat.

Is this just a culture change that happened within the last 3 years?

It's cool if it is, but I'm not sure if it's all in my head.
>>
>>43554573
>"Pick a strategy, then dial it to eleven" the de facto way of playing the game now?
Yeah, Ironically the game is stale right now due to overabundance of diversity that we've experienced couple of years ago.

couple of years ago, things were in a balance where there were too many things to look out for. colossals demanded that you brought multiwound or heavies to wreck it, but those got wrecked by Cryx, and cryx got raped by cygnar's pea shooters which couldn't kill colossals.

At this point Skorne, Troll, Gators said fuck it. I'm just dialing one thing to the max and let the rest of the faggot world figure my shit out.

it worked and now everyone's bandwagoning against to counter that and counter the counter.
>>
I feel like I'm in the minority that having terrain that only certain size bases could move through/between would be a good thing.

But then again, that would create a downside to colossals and PP would be afraid of limiting sales of the >$100 models.
>>
>>43554722
I'm against base size restriction for movement because I play trolls, but I do think that colossals being granted free reign on movement is just kind of stupid.

I feel like choosing to go second and picking side should matter beyond "is there a hill"
>>
>>43554518
So you DO play at my store.
>>
>>43554777
>I feel like choosing to go second and picking side should matter beyond "is there a hill"

Unless you're setting up the board completely symmetrical, it does.
>>
>>43554825
I play in Sioux Falls. Not sure where you are.
>>
>>43554940
Nah, we're apparently in very similar situations.
>>
File: Carldur the Stoned Soul.jpg (91 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Carldur the Stoned Soul.jpg
91 KB, 400x300
>>43554573
>is "Pick a strategy, then dial it to eleven" the de facto way of playing the game now?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: You already said it -

>Now it kind of feels like Magic, but played really slowly. Where the idea is to build around "Token Spell", "Weaponmaster Spam", "Theme list" and then focus all or nothing on that.

Theme lists and free points in them wrecked a lot of the fun for me. Yes, I own every Skorne model. No, I will not go buy another 4 boxes of Cataphracts solely so I can run Fist. The dumbest fucking shit I have ever heard. No, I will not go buy 6 Woldwatchers to run Bradigus, or 5+ Arguses to run Kromac2, or if I played Trolls, 12 lights.

No, I will not go buy Cephalyx to play B&S, or 5 Angeliuses to play Vayl2

Theme lists used to be about fluff and for 95% of them, the bonuses they gave were negligible. Now they're a fucking balancing tool, and really moreover, a goad to sell models. Period. I get it where a new model releasing might make an old Theme List do something it was never intended (Fist). But I don't give a shit what PPDF says - putting out shit like Kromac 2 or B&S in the "modern" era of the game proves what PP's intent is.

I've been slowly bleeding off my collection ever since PP made it obvious where the direction of the game was heading post Colo meta. I plan to keep my Skorne and I won't be buying anything new. Tired of the arms race - same arms race that goes on in the Magic meta, just instead of cardboard you're buying tiny plastic army men and they don't even fucking look that good compared to other model companies. Don't get me started on the "plastic kits."
>>
Is there an easy way for trollbloods to field a more heavy beast oriented army? I want to get into them but light-spam is nuts for cost at basically 20$ per body. And doind dudespam with units is above average coat as always. I know legion isn't terribly expensive compared to most when going more heavy focused. I know to make a useable army there will almost always be at least a few from each category and all but still, there must be a method that's more cost effective than the others.

tl;dr how do I start trollbloods with limited money?
>>
>>43555554
Try this.

I run this with fair amount of success.

Hoarluk Doomshaper, Rage of Dhunia (*6pts)
* Troll Axer (6pts)
* Dire Troll Mauler (9pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)
* Mulg the Ancient (12pts)
* Rok (11pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Janissa Stonetide (3pts)
>>
>>43555110
>But I don't give a shit what PPDF says - putting out shit like Kromac 2 or B&S in the "modern" era of the game proves what PP's intent is.

See, you're very much mistaken.

The problem with Theme Forces is that they simply aren't playtested nearly as much as anything else. PP clearly doesn't realize that some of the themes are going to be retarded, or they end up becoming insane after something new gets added to them.

Take Fist, for example, it was a middling tier until Indinciary hit to give it the ranged punch it needed.

And then you look at theme lists like Zaal2's new tier, which is laughably bad. If they wanted people to buy Immortals(a unit very few people really own outside of Zaal1 tier) why wouldn't his tier be on the level of B&S?

Tier lists aren't a balancing tool or a money grab, more often than not, they're honestly them putting out poorly thought and tested ideas. Some of them end up being total shit, some of them end up being absolutely insane.
>>
>>43555618
Not to mention that EE was an attempt for people to get to play with the mountain king.

Welp, no one went tier 4.

Now Doomy 3 tier specifically mention discount on gargs for that reason.
>>
>>43553976
>Why are you so against terrain?
Because too much terrain leads directly to "welp, no point in playing Menoth ever again".

The terrain rules are there to provide a functional game, not to provide a scenic backdrop for a photo shoot.
>>
>>43555110
>5 angels for Vayl2 tier
>laughing_dragonspawn.jpg
>>
>>43557200
>The terrain rules are there to provide a functional game

And part of it being a "functional game" is having more terrain than a forest, a hill and a couple walls.
>>
>>43551395

The knockdown is a crit effect and far from garaunteed even when boosting.

Plus not as important since the only shot i mainly care about gives -2 on defense
>>
>>43557200
So instead of learning to play on varied terrain you just want a fucking barren table.

I primarily play fucking Khador and I wish tables were on average more terrain heavy. Boundless Charge helps warjacks, units of IFP or WGI, not so much.

Locally people bitch about Legion "ignoring rules" with all the pathfinder and eyeless sight, but when there's no fucking terrain on the table it makes no difference if those abilities exist or not.
>>
>>43558901
Two boosted shots on feat turn give a pretty good chance.

I've killed many casters with a 2-Ravagor 2-Bolt thrower list. Lylyth shoots first, puts on Pin Cushion, Bolt throwers are rolling 4 dice on attack, so with 4 shots one's probably going to KD. Ravagores then bring the pain.
>>
>>43559745
Stealth son.
>>
>>43560302
My point still stands. Every faction has access to eliminating stealth.
>>
>>43560360
Well that's just incorrect
>>
>>43560568
Well not really... I suppose its more what you sac to see through it.
>>
File: 1446679495953.gif (1 MB, 288x198) Image search: [Google]
1446679495953.gif
1 MB, 288x198
>>43560360
>>
>>43554573
>...but is "Pick a strategy, then dial it to eleven" the de facto way of playing the game now?

You play to your strengths and you try to cover as many weaknesses as you can with out diluting what was great about your list in the first place.

>picking a strat and either spamming things around it.

There can be more to spamming than meets the eye. My Mad Dogs of War theme list (Doom reaver spam) relies on going first and jamming people out of zones. Want to take a step forward? Enjoy a fuckton of leader ship checks and free strikes. Every other game people are able to take that step forward and Butcher ends up preforming a caster kill in some fashion. You would think having 50+ weapon masters with multiple attacks would be all about fucking shit up and it isnt. The list is rather boring in all honesty, but it wins way more than it should. Against legion I will often end up killing none of their beasts, but will have won on scenario by turn 3.

>I'm playing Legion with a Mixed Arms/ skew heavy beasts approach and it seems that if I face DoodSpams I have an uphill battle unless I alpha first or have a control style feat.

Legion should always get the alpha and your feats are incredibly ball busting! You need to play to your strengths and drop the right casters into the right opponents. Unless I'm playing Mad Dogs My khador will never beat an appropriate Saeryn list, eLylyth is just as much of a fucking nightmare.
>>
For those complaining about a lack of terrain, my meta's upcoming campaign uses these rules for terrain placement.
Minimum 4 pieces, each player chooses any 2 terrain pieces, rolls 1d3 and adds that many terrain pieces of their choosing to the total terrain pool, and then both players take turns placing pieces.
You end up with 6-10 pieces of terrain on the board, and players who have terrain specific advantages get to pick stuff that is actually useful to their models (i.e. amphibious, forest walk, etc), but they still have to consider what will happen if they don't win the side of the table they really want, so it becomes a mind game of trying to place things that are advantageous to yourself and disadvantageous to your opponent.
>>
>>43561763
So you are saying that I can't win unless I bring the control casters in Legion? :(

I'm... not sure I'm okay with that. It just seems that the game has grown so much that stuff that you used to be able to play around requires feats or control to truly avoid. I don't like being pigeonholed into stuff.

I can't give as good as I get with stuff like that across the table unless I come prepared. Or maybe the skill required to respond to that has gone up as well.

I just don't know anymore. I never really enjoyed list building because of how, if done poorly can lead to a skewed chance at losing....but if done properly can skew the other way. So I try and build generalists list and see if I can figure things out on the table.
>>
>>43561763
Oh and I dunno. I think I just might not be cut out for this on a competitive level. At least not anymore.

I don't think Champions would bring me the sense of security I'm looking for either.

I'll try my luck on pub games and see if I can avoid some of that stuff. Otherwise I might just go back to historicals.
>>
>>43562862
>So you are saying that I can't win unless I bring the control casters in Legion? :(

I wouldnt really call Saeryn control, if anything she is more of a denial caster. The feat and blight bringer completely shit wreck a lot of lists and she isnt their most competitive. eLylyth is more of an attrition caster, you trade hits with out actually having to trade hits. That said there are still plenty of other casters that can get the job done with out being overtly faggy (eThag), but thats not what tournament play is about.

> It just seems that the game has grown so much that stuff that you used to be able to play around requires feats or control to truly avoid. I don't like being pigeonholed into stuff.

thats how its always been though, I think youre just now waking up to the fact or your meta has atleast.

>I can't give as good as I get with stuff like that across the table unless I come prepared.

YUP

You need to focus on doing just that.

>Need more skill

The better the match up the less skill required to win. Figure out a couple of lists that can cover each others weakness while offering plenty of questions to your opponent that if go unanswered cause them to lose the game. Then figure out which list is the best to drop against what ever pairing you're facing.
>>
>>43563040

Honestly I think tournaments offer the worst play experience. I rather play friendly, but competitive, games amongst people who aren't total try hards. I want to a challenge, but I rather not spend an entire day with strangers to find one. If you can get what you want from the game with out having to go to a tourney by all means do it.
>>
So, I'm relatively new at this so bare with me.

I live in Canada, BC on Van isl. The weather here is usually super humid.
I spray primed (p3 black) my beast handlers/swordsmen in the summer at high humidity/heat (90%/ 40 C) and the prime job came out grainy and sub par.

Googled it and it turns out high humidity + heat tends to dry the primer out mid air before it hits the model. So, pinned it at a learning mistake and moved on with painting etc.

So, now I'm wanting to prime my gladiator. The daily weather fluctuates between 78-98% humidity and 7-13 C (Average being 82%/10.2 C).

Is priming outside going to give the same grainy effect it did in summer or will it go on smoother because of low heat?

Also is

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA6J6C5NUMM

good priming technique?
>>
>>43564196
Humidity will still likely be a problem, despite the cool air.
I'd open some windows to prime inside, and cut up a cardboard box as a shield so you don't get it all over the place.

That method is referred to as zenithal priming and it is a very useful tool.
Prime black from about a foot away, then, after drying, lightly prime white from a further distance and from a top down perspective.
What happens is that the inner recesses of the model stay black, while the raised portions become white, highlighting the model for you.
If you thin your paints well enough, you won't have to worry about highlights as the differences in primer will act as a modifier to the layers of paint you put on them.
Look at some more zenithal priming videos to get a feel for how its done.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.