[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fantasy or Sci Fi 15mm?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
Hey /tg/, what are your thoughts on 15mm fantasy or sci fi games/miniatures? Worth getting into given their relative prices?

or is 6mm/10mm better for large battles and 25mm/28mm better for skirmish?
>>
File: t33.jpg (57 KB, 600x368) Image search: [Google]
t33.jpg
57 KB, 600x368
>>43461869
I'm on the fence about them despite owning a bunch of sci-fi stuff, it's very hard to convince anyone to actually use them. 6mm gets you more tanks, 28mm gets you... well it gets you the people who are weird about playing with anything smaller despite the advantages in cost (especially for terrain) and less storage space required.

Not helped by the state of the industry being a massive collection of garage operations with very few ranges being 'complete' and far, far too many generic armoured humans and vehicles that look less sci-fi than shit that is actually in service.

That said, there are some gems, and some great systems. 15mm makes for some great skirmish games up to company level games for anything involving shooting because there's far more space on the table to use. It's easier to make full sets of terrain for so battlefields can look far more complete for far less time and money than the equivalent in 28mm.
I think 20mm if it were popular would be ideal for the platoon sized skirmish stuff though. Works very well for 20th century+ historicals due to all the support available in scale model kits and die-cast vehicles.
>>
>>43461869
The big problem with 15mm is lack of widespread, high-polish "deal". 10mm has Dropzone Commander, 28mm has a myriad games, 15mm has a whole bunch of unassociated lines with some generic rules that are often (not always!) very old-style in their presentation.
>>
>>43461869
6/10mm is good for armies
15mm is perfect for platoon skirmish
and good for single squad skirmish
28mm is probably the preferred scale for squad skirmish
>>
>>43465714
the dropzone commander thing was kind of funny cause all the 15mm gamers (if they truly existed) bitched about that for compatibility, etc.

Isnt Land Firestorm 15mm though?
>>
>>43466602
Nope,also 10mm. Of course it is, the owner probably threw a bitch-fit to make it 10mm just to spite the DzC person, who started the company after quitting spartan (no suprise!)
>>
>>43466678
to be fair the Firestorm ground battle was fucking WEIRD when it was announced/hinted

I heard it was suppose to be THREE scales, 10mm, 15mm, and 28mm.
>>
I play tabletop games for the spectacle, lower than 28mm just wouldn't do it for me. The models look shit and their proportions/anatomy is terrible.
>>
>>43466837
Yes. Because the company owner is a drooling, braindead moron who though it'd be a good idea. They still want to go with the 28mm special-forces game later. Which they will. And it will end just like Dystopian Legions, an abandoned, forgotten husk, because the game itself will have not a shred of original thought in it.
>>
>>43466890
I play for spectacle too, which is why I love 10mm. A wave of tanks and guns and infantry just looks amazing on the table.
>>
File: Cassino-Table-17XL.jpg (500 KB, 2000x965) Image search: [Google]
Cassino-Table-17XL.jpg
500 KB, 2000x965
>>43466890
>I play tabletop games for the spectacle, lower than 28mm just wouldn't do it for me

playing 28mm with 300 models is fucking stupid though outside of having giant moment trays

40k apocalypse games are honestly boring when it takes 2 hours for someone to move all their models, only for a 10" D Pie Plate to land on their careful positioning
>>
File: legio-victorum-2.jpg (127 KB, 800x515) Image search: [Google]
legio-victorum-2.jpg
127 KB, 800x515
>>43466989
>. And it will end just like Dystopian Legions

didnt that get dropped because "we marketed it as 28mm, but OOPS its 35mm!"

on the bright side in some stores DL are dirt cheap. can get a normally $80 set for $20!

>>43467010
6mm is also great. All dem titans yo. plus you can field an entire space marine chapter without breaking the bank or the table!
>>
>>43466890
15mm and below gives you a whole lot more spectacle und if you are playing Warmahordes or 40k, I'm really wondering what fucking proportions you are on about.
>>
>>43467085
Naw, it's "honest to god, we're supporting this game. Sure, the last year of releases was just repacking models into new layout of boxes, and the two armies we released in starter box have no new models since that starter box, but hey, we've just released FAQ, that means we're invested!"

I like their games,but the company disgusts me.
>>
>>43467194
and now they'll have to subsidize the rest of their games to help pay for halo which I imagine wasnt a cheap license

also seriously how many fucking factions are there for Dys Wars? I know that a world war has a lot of countries...but damn. Soon there would be like 5 nations from africa
>>
>>43467269
Oh yes, the sneaky, sneaky price rise they didnt bother announcing. 50 fucking queenie-pounds for a firestorm patrol fleet? Are you taking the piss?
>>
>>43466602
>cause all the 15mm gamers (if they truly existed)
I've always been under the impression that 15mm wargaming is bigger than 6mm or 10mm (no pun intended). Is that wrong?
>>
>>43467919
historical? sure (especially fow) but sci fi is kind of iffy given as said beforehand that most if not all sci fi makers of 15mm are garage hobbyists while two somewhat large companies are now making 10mm. in hard plastic even in DZC case
>>
>>43468112
Hawk has 6 employees, it's hardly a "big" company like PP or GW, but yes, thanks to DzC 10mm is rapidly gaining popularity. It's shiny, has very high quality sculpts, and provides an 'experience" like 40k or Infinity or Warmachine- background, coherent forces, artwork and rules all together.
>>
>>43467085
>tfw Epic is dead
>>
>>43468635
Warmaster is dead.
Epic is Unliving.
>>
>>43467085
I miss Epic so fucking much.
When I heard they were doing an Apocalypse ruleset I just died a little inside. How fucking retarded. I still remember playing 10000 points games on my carpet with a friend, fielding a proper ork mob against waves of imperial tanks, squads of baneblades, knights, etc.

So much feels, man.

I dream of the day 3D printers will allow me to print some clean 10mm (read, 1/200th scale) models. Now that will be glorious.
>>
>>43468981
>I dream of the day 3D printers will allow me to print some clean 10mm (read, 1/200th scale) models.
Unless you have access to an industrial printer, that day will probably never come. We can already print shit at practically any quality we want, there's just no market for high detail personal printers.
>>
>>43468981
>I miss Epic so fucking much.

too bad the more they supported it, the worse it got
>>
>>43469349
It is certainly possible for hobbyists. SLA printers can be built for $600 worth of parts, and print in incredibly high detail by baking resin with UV rays. Technology finds a way.
>>
>>43469492
Honestly, by the time you have invested the knowledge, money and work into making one of those things and finetuning it to that point, you could have just bought an army or two.
>>
>>43469572
It's not that easy for OOP games like anon mentioned. There was that one Epic recaster who posted his email around, and probably would be the best option for getting a full Epic army right now assuming that he is still in business.

I don't feel like building a 3D printer is that difficult these days. I built one earlier this year to make parts for robots and it works like a charm. Much like building a PC it is easy and a great way to save money if you are a hobbyist.
>>
>>43469622
I have yet to see an affordable printer that can make satisfying miniatures for 10mm, never mind 6mm... but there is one out there, tell me. I'd be all over that.
>>
>>43471213
By affordable printer do you mean a prebuilt one for less than $1000? Then no, just like with desktop computers, prebuilt 3D printers are rip offs. There is a reason that Stratasys is facing a class action lawsuit for cutting corners right now.
>>
>>43471328
I'd be prepared to build that shit myself if it's worth it. Thing is, a buddy of mine has a self-built one for about a thousand bucks, and it really isn't doing the job for this. So I'm sceptical, but if there really are printers out there that could do decent 6-15mm, I'd love to see them.
>>
>>43471466
That entirely depends on the design. Filament extrusion printers can be built for as little as $300, and certainly can't make small miniatures. Stereolithographic printers require a projector which will cost at least $200, but the rest of the pieces can come easy depending on the scope as they only require one motor as opposed to a filament extrusion printer's five. The LittleRP is a design that you can get online for free, and even buy kits for if you don't like sourcing parts yourself. There are forums that document the process of building these too. Check out http://www.buildyourownsla.com/forum/index.php
>>
>>43471554
>Filament extrusion printers
That's the one my buddy is using, which might explain why it sucks for miniatures.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.