[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"I Wanna be the Warlock"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10
File: 1436645392355.png (907 KB, 850x1202) Image search: [Google]
1436645392355.png
907 KB, 850x1202
So what's your default class/archetype /tg/? What character do automatically go to in TTRPGs when you're out of ideas.

Mine personally is the Warlock. Not sure why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABaHY1WuAkM
>>
File: 1432489660491.jpg (115 KB, 850x1318) Image search: [Google]
1432489660491.jpg
115 KB, 850x1318
Rogue... always always Rogue. I like having a million options for handing situations (without having to resort to magic) and being able to flex my creative thinking skills.
>>
>>43456519

Fighter. 'Cause I can play a sneaky Fighter, a sturdy Fighter, a shooty Fighter, a choppy Fighter, a tanky Fighter, a quick Fighter, a magicky Fighter or any combination of the above. They're the broadest and most open-ended class in many games and I have had some of my best times with Fighters. Love being able don a fullplate and wield a two-handed sword and also sneak with the roguish types and shank motherfuckers when needed, while also being the tough survivor who knows how to handle shit.
>>
>>43456519
Anything clever. It might not be the strongest thing around, but if it has a lot of bits that I can find interesting ways to use, I love it. Spellcasters in Pathfinder are always a good option, since they're built on bits, but I usually like the 3/4 casters the most, since they tend to combine spell bits with interesting class bits. I'm currently in love with the Alchemist and Investigator... I'd love to get my hands on a gestalt game so I could run the ultimate potion-drinker.
>>
>>43456519
>Cleric/Healer who acts as the voice of reason and keeps the team alive
>Fighter/Barbarian/Paladin with noble heritage and therefore an education or otherwise having a brain
>Wizard/Sorceror/other magician/tech guy as the nerdy support character
>Fill in the party gaps/'gimmicky' character.
>>
>>43456899
>I like having a million options for handing situations (without having to resort to magic)

You'd better not play 3.PF, then.
>>
>>43456519
I like to play the smart guy, which usually leads to me being the caster/crafter.
>>
File: industrialist.png (57 KB, 400x393) Image search: [Google]
industrialist.png
57 KB, 400x393
A sub-optimal as sin fighter or rogue who makes it through on pure pinache, give'em hell attitude, and macguyvering. High stat either INT or CHA, second highest DEX.
>>
I tend to play Fighters/Tanks/etc
>>
File: GabrielBelmont.jpg (235 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
GabrielBelmont.jpg
235 KB, 1024x1024
>>43456519
I also enjoy playing Demon-Hunting Palaidins or Clerics.

Bonus points if they're so obsessed that they lose or almost lose their own humanity along the way.

Bonus bonus points if someone in the party pulls him back from the brink.

Bonus bonus bonus points if it's the team healer.
>>
Can I be a minotaur?
>>
Personally I like almost every kind of character, I've played big warriors, clerics, Wizards and some more.

Typically though I prefer more dexterous fighters and don't really like most clerics, unless they worship a really abstract god or call upon many gods.
>>
>>43456519
Ranger/Sniper, Waifu-with-a-now

Basically female Aragorn, often a Half-Elf in her mid 40s, early 50s (which is basically a human in their 20s).
>>
>>43457735
*Waifu-with-a-bow
>>
Any mage who has UNLIMITED COSMIC POWER.

So Warlock too, OP. Unlimited in the sense they don't run out of spells. At least Shatter makes for a good grenade if you invest in lots of items.
>>
File: Untitled.png (749 KB, 1200x533) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
749 KB, 1200x533
>>43456519

Either a human paladin who balances idealism versus practicality or a drunken, but ultimately good natured minotaur barbarian.
>>
>>43457735
I would like to play this (minus the waifu-part), but for the life me I always play in systems where Archery is just garbage, or my party-members don't concern themselves with things like actually giving me cover or keeping enemies off of me.

Also the "Ranger" class is garbage in most systems it appears in so I'm stuck trying to make Rogues or Fighters fill the gap when that's not really what they're meant for... I always get frustrated and just make a mage instead.
>>
>>43457751
Said warlock is typically a clear self insert, because I am a lazy fucking arsehole. He usually has substance abuse problems, because suffering/tragedy=DEPTH. Sometimes I make him afraid of something common because he was raped by it as a child. I don't bring it up often, only when there's a chance of incredibly awkwardness in the winds.
>>
I have a few:
>Spear Master
Always give him a lightening or poisonous creature motif, always.
>Bitter Old Priest
The voice/fist of god is always needed, you need to be the forceful moral compass of the party.
>The Imperfectionist
My only concept of chaotic evil that I actually like. A man obsessed with the concept of imperfection and willing to watch the world break around him in order to pursue the beauty contained within an imperfect thing.
>The Devourer
Someone who is hungry for something, be it power, money, or simply food. The idea of someone who will throw away parts of himself to amass more is fantastic.
>The Gambler
I love the gambling addict, especially one who is willing to do anything to win, especially cheat as far as he can, and even more when they are in far over their head.

So, friends, judge me.
>>
>>43457813
Well, you asked for it.

>Spear Master
Badass. Spears are awesome.

>Bitter Old Priest
Also OK. Better than whiny clerics my friends always play.

>The Imperfectionist
Sorry bro, this is edge-lord to the extreme.

>The Devourer
Also edgy, but I feel like it can work if played well.

>The Gambler
Sounds like the character that always messes things up for the party and generally annoys everyone else in the game. The kind of character that makes me seriously want to consider murdering and looting a fellow party member if my own character has even the slightest bit of neutral or chaotic tendancies.
>>
>>43456519
Wizards.
No matter the system, no matter how weak they are, no matter how much I will get shit on for playing one.

I will always love Wizards.
>>
>>43457872
>Sorry bro, this is edge-lord to the extreme.
Have you ever watched Hyouge Mono? Surprisingly the pursuit of imperfection does not have to be edgy, it's a really cool concept when explored.

>Sounds like the character that always messes things up for the party and generally annoys everyone else in the game.
I'll admit this is why I don't play these kinds of characters often unless the party is OK with it. They tend to screw over parties because a gambling addict does not know when to stop. I'll have won it big and keep going, because stopping means you'll have said that's all you're worth. One always has to strive higher, and that tends to fuck with people when you lose.
>>
File: 1446385708162.png (1 MB, 764x1080) Image search: [Google]
1446385708162.png
1 MB, 764x1080
>>43456519
No matter what, be it video game or tabletop, my first character is always a basic fighter. Sword and board for fantasy and machine gun for scifi.

I prefer the asthetic of wizards, but fighters are great to learn a system on.
A fighter is also super versitle in roleplay, and can fit any group in a heartbeat.
>>
>>43457569
I had a minotaur bard happened once. It wasn't terrible.
>>
File: 1444281849271.jpg (219 KB, 708x1127) Image search: [Google]
1444281849271.jpg
219 KB, 708x1127
>>43456519
>Skullduggery
Nice

To answer your question, usually knights/paladins. I prefer rogues and archers, and even the occasional spellcaster, but I really have to be in the mood to play those. But I can always play a knight. They're easy for me to grasp. Any alignment, really. It's not so much about the character traits as much as it is the philosophy.

You may not do the most damage.
You may not have the most options.

Rogues will call you uncouth. A simple brute. No class. A dullard.
Wizards will scoff at you, you neanderthal. What man or woman would possibly want to swing a sword around when you can unwrite reality?

But you're tough. You're self-sufficient. When the chips are down you're always the first one in and the last one out. And in one hand you'll be carrying the dragon's head, and in the other you'll be carrying the unconscious wizard who took more damage than his 1d4 hit points could handle.

You're a fighter and you're good at it. No frilly magic bullshit. No dancing around like a ballerina during fights. Just you, your armor, your sword, and maybe your god
not that you need him.
>>
>>43456899
Same in a way - almost every character of mine has been or is a rogue or something very close. They all have a criminal background of some kind - con man, assassin, thief, black market merchant, etc.
>>
>>43456519
It depends on the group. There's the happy go lucky fighter type, loud, robust, and wielding a two handed weapon.

Then there's the rational, calm social type, rogue or other charismatic class.
>>
>>43456519
Anything, that's charismatic and intelligent. I can play dumb and socially awkward characters too, but it's just not that enjoyable for me. I like being the party's voice and voice of reason.
Now, due to attribute dependencies, this leaves me with few choices (if I don't want to be completely useless to my party in combat) : Sorcerer, Paladin, Wizard, Warlock and Rogue.
I can't really pick a favorite, but if I do have to choose, I would go with the Wizard. I like the day-to-day flexibility with spell casting, their AMAZING repertoire of spells and that they are not bound to any greater entities (deities, fiends, etc). All the power that they have harnessed is through dedication, study and force of will.
Also, eyes blazing, cape flowing and air crackling from the arcane powers they command. Looks pretty epic imho - until a barbarian comes along and smashes their squishy bodies into fine pulp with primitive weapons.

Wizard/School of Enchantment
>>
The zealot paladin that will stil protect the widow and the orphan.

I know it's very cliché, but I really like the idea, because I think that paladins have that image of lawful stupid sticked to them, but with this one, the whole dimension of a paladin comes to life.

He's a fighter purposely made to fight evils, undeads and daemons cower at his sight. A divine instrupent of justice.

Not a blabbering retard that hugs everyone, like some people would like to think.
>>
>>43459152
>tfw my current character blabbers on a lot, has low WIS, weird preconceptions about mundane things, and hugs a lot of people

I like that idea though, when it comes to my next character, I'll make one like that. I can't post the screencap about realizing how Lawful Good is the best alignment, can someone post it?
>>
Druid/Shaman/Hunter types.

I like being self inserty. God knows I'm too stupid to be a wizard, too sinful for s cleric, too physically inept for a warrior, and too much of a nice honest guy for rogue/warlocks.
So NATURE FOR DAYS, familiars, curses, chucking mud and grass at people, I love elementalism.
>>
File: 1365570861148.png (205 KB, 1418x721) Image search: [Google]
1365570861148.png
205 KB, 1418x721
>>43459181
This one?

Or the quite long blog post that I thought I had?
>>
>>43459290
This one, thank you.
>>
File: Xavier Skylance.jpg (190 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Xavier Skylance.jpg
190 KB, 1024x1024
Wizard.

I don't care if they're unbalanced compared to the other classes. I don't care about the power for the sake of power. But I do care about the power to make a difference and also make things interesting. Support Wizard is usually what I find myself doing.

Also Prestidigitation is the best spell in the game and if you don't agree with that you can kindly leave.
>>
In a sci-fi universe? I like to be the pilot/driver. Something I like about being the person that drives around and gets people from one place to the next, I'd have some firearms/ballistics so that I can hold my own in a firefight but also high agility or whatever it takes to dodge bullets/attacks. I like high risk/high reward in sci-fi universe, rather than the OP tanks that seem to evolve from them. (Looking at you Tech-Priests from W40k RPGs.)

In a fantasy universe? I like to play a Cleric. Read as "Cleric" not "Healer". Healing does happen as a background, but I like to play a character that is the embodiment of their deity/religion. He'll spout his beliefs/religion to all who will listen, but doesn't put down any others (if I haven't taken an evil or malicious deity) for their religion. "Practice what you preach" is the cleric I play. Otherwise in combat, I like to have my cleric at the front line, tanking and mitigating the damage. Whether the reason is sacrifice for a teammate or civilian or because it's the glory of combat, my guy will do his best to take the damage so that others can dish it out. Then afterward, he'll patch and heal the party up, helping bring up moral and then getting the back to the task at hand.
>>
>>43456519
Monk, because punching people and monsters in the face is always good.
>>
>>43462827

Also, in the fantasy setting I like to play Shamanistic Fighters. Not "shamanistic" that they actively use magic and the spirits to boost their power, but more of "The spirit of the bear is strong with me" figher/barbarian. Not just "Fighting because lol blood and combat" but because, "This is the way of life. I have been guided here by the spirits, and they have brought me into combat with you for a reason. There is purpose here beyond my hope to comprehend. Fight and die well," sort of attitude. Probably wielding a giant totem that he carves into after fights to notch it more for fallen enemies (or comrades), or if the GM makes me use a weapon from the book, it'll be a two-handed axe.

This idea is one that I haven't actually used yet, but I hope that I get to play with eventually.
>>
>>43456519
Alchemist/scholar type.

If there's an alchemist/rogue thing I'll go for that.
>>
>>43456519
Paladin or Gunslinger

If the setting has Guns, I use them, if the setting has Paladin's, I use them. If the setting has both, I become a very happy man.
>>
>>43459290

Holy shit.

Yes.

This is how I always wanted to be paladin.

I played the 2nd Lawfull Good in 3.5 once. Was a Halfling Paladin. Shit was awesome but I was turning in a That Guy since everyone else was a edgy gothic and played Evil characters or lol CN.

4 sessions in I hated the character and made him purposely Fall and kill himself so I could play something with a bit more freedom, not knowing I played it wrong.
>>
I always play martials. Even when I play spellcasters, they are martials with some support magic.

I'm forcing myself to play a backrow character for the next campaign I start.
>>
>>43456519
>Wandering Ronin with a good heart.
Just seeking to defend those he can with his sword when he can.

Pretty much my go to class. Don't care that it's weeb I love it. That's my go to class when it's available. If it's not. then I tend to go for the charismatic acrobatic rogue. Someone halfway between james bond and prince of persia.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.