[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pathfinder General /pfg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: 1440451381338.jpg (159 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
1440451381338.jpg
159 KB, 894x894
Pathfinder General /pfg/

"We Like Traps" edition

If you are asking for build advice, please mention if any third-party books are allowed, and if so, which.

Unified /pfg/ link repository:
http://pastebin.com/HwxEjiKW
>>
>>43453403
first for FUCK YOU
>>
>>43453403
No.
We don't like traps.
Go look at the creation costs and time.
Go look at how useless they can be
Go look at the fucking reflex saves everyone and his paralyzed mother can fucking make.

Traps fucking suck.
>>
File: happy snek.gif (309 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
happy snek.gif
309 KB, 500x281
>>43453403
Nth for "how do I snek in Pathfinder?"

I must be the happiest of sneks. The smuggest, too, if that's possible.
>>
File: 1446515757013.png (322 KB, 712x888) Image search: [Google]
1446515757013.png
322 KB, 712x888
>>43453424
First for marrying a drow?
>>
Is maneuver damage multiplied on a critical?
>>
>>43453451
Refluffed mermaid with Strong Tail. Or Naga Aspirant Nagaji, pending on how much Snek you want
>>
>>43453451
The Nagaji have a druid archetype that lets you wild shape into a Naga. So you can be a people snake!

You also get some very useful arcane spells on your druid list, like Mage Armor. Mage Armor is obviously useful to someone who polymorphs a lot, since it will work with your animal mode.
>>
>>43453475
Unless it is direct weapon damage or a static bonus, no.
>>
>>43453450
oh, you dug a pit and put some spikey sticks in it? that will 1000 gp.
>>
File: 1420076204637.png (2 MB, 10000x9441) Image search: [Google]
1420076204637.png
2 MB, 10000x9441
The party wizard prepares to cast a spell, then makes this face at your character.

How does your character react?
>>
File: 1446587440331.jpg (32 KB, 346x339) Image search: [Google]
1446587440331.jpg
32 KB, 346x339
>>43453450
>I don't think OP meant those sorts of traps.
>>
>>43453287

Gnosticism is basically that the material world was created by the Demiurge, depending on your views this is typically God depicted as an evil entity, and so the material world is evil as a result. So they look to the spiritual instead, and a true God-like deity.

There are many kinds of Gnosticisms but existence of the Demiurge and embracing of the spiritual is the main concept.

Chaos-gnosticism is an aspect of Satanism and seeks a return to nothing basically. The breakdown of the cosmos/Law so Chaos is all that remains.

It's all pretty silly and occult but it's all still quite interesting to me.
>>
>>43453451
I have a smug Serpentine/Fey cross-blooded sorcerer. He's pretty happy too I'd say, or at least he would be if I got a chance to play him. He really wants to know what the hell his family tree looks like.
>>
So with the changes to the arcanist, would it be worth taking Extra Arcane Reservoir a couple of times if I don't necessarily care about being perfectly optimal, or is it one of those too shit to justify options?
>>
>>43453424
Okay, shitpost. But seriously, asking for suggestion: Players are travelling on board a ship to lead an exploration of a new continent.

On board the ship, along with other 10th level elite NPCs(Who will travel back to !not Europe on the return ship,) leaving behind an apprentice each, will be a Psychadelic Human Psychic.

Everyone think this hippy guy has no apprentice with him, but it turns out he had his apprentice all along in a box, in some kind of dream coma.

My first idea was that the 5th level apprentice would be a female Mermaid Psychic. She would be useful as an NPC, but a major stoner girl. To giver her that max int, I'd fluff her as some subrace of Merfolk, scholar folk, giving her a +2 to INT or something.

Either that or an Aquatic Elf. This is so that they get some help talking with the loner Mermaid natives around them.

Any tips? General NPC design ideas?
>>
>>43453475
Maneuver damage is not multiplied on a crit.
>>
>>43453499
The Demiurge is an interesting concept because he solves the problem of evil (in that as a god he is omnimalevolent rather than omnibenevolent) and does not create "the problem of good" because all the good things he has created exist only as a way to keep us from the true goodness, which only exists in the spiritual world.
>>
>>43453525
Static bonuses multiply, damage dice don't unless you have a specific callout for it.
>>43453475
Combat Maneuvers cannot crit, POW stuff mostly doesn't have the extra damage crit, but the base damage (strength, weapon, magic item bonus etc) can.
>>
>>43453573
We do. It's in our FAQ.
>>
So /pfg/, I'm currently building the most "fuck you" dungeon possible. One floor, the only way in is teleportation which teleport traps you into a central location where you land in a 10-foot square room on a grate over a Shoggoth. The ceiling is 30 feet high and covered in Blightburn Paste. Breaking through the wall surrounding the teleport trap leads into another enclosed area with a grate in the floor and another Shoggoth. Outside of that is the same thing. Outside of that is a maze with hundreds of roaming undead that explode into Cloudkills or Incendiary Cloud on death.

There is no exit.

How do I make it more lethal?
>>
File: disgustedfox.png (44 KB, 186x253) Image search: [Google]
disgustedfox.png
44 KB, 186x253
>>43453590
You _______stop doing that______.

Seriously, what is even the point of a dungeon designed to be anti-fun?
>>
>>43453655
I'm a PC and am building it exclusively to kill people who want to fuck with my stuff while I'm out.
>>
>>43453677
Then get Leadership and recruit a guard or just buy some.

Or hey, they have these magical wonderlands called BANKS.
>>
>>43453590
Where do you get these Shoggoths man
>>
Reposting form the last thread. Homebrew classes I've been working on. Read 'em and comment if you want or not.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l6wE41IVgRQxjmZr3upQsKprq6HgRmws4e8TbkcvUm4/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>43453495
Prepare to be covered in semen colored dough
>>
>>43453708

Same place the Elder Things got 'em.

He made them.
>>
>>43453708
Craft Ooze and lots of money.

>>43453702
Yeah but
>leadership
This is also being used to safeguard my base of operations as a teleport trap, there's nothing of value in the dungeon.
>>
>>43453495
Wizard on the front page?
>>
File: 0leVY9y.png (287 KB, 700x577) Image search: [Google]
0leVY9y.png
287 KB, 700x577
>>43453655

Kinu is cute! CUTE!
>>
>>43451194
>Level 6 or 8 discovery that grants evolution points for every two HD your homunculus has, starting at 1

There you go, pitch that and call it a day.
>>
>>43453590
Put a dimensional anchor to prevent people from teleporting away.
>>
File: Matariel.jpg (273 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
Matariel.jpg
273 KB, 533x800
MRW spent all shift at work in close contact with strong chemicals and came home heaving my guts out. Evening /pfg/. Gonna try and get the last chapter of Mourners up tonight to be read and possibly even enjoyed.

Available to answer questions.
>>
File: 1431111233577.gif (325 KB, 370x330) Image search: [Google]
1431111233577.gif
325 KB, 370x330
So let me get this straight.

If I'm a Zweihander Sentinel and I want to use a katana, do I have to burn a feat in Exotic Weapon Proficiency (katana) before I can get katana Expertise?
>>
>>43453710
Immediately lost interest in when i saw it uses invocations. If you want to pathfinderize this you could use kineticist wild talents (THOUGH WITH A DIFFERENT MECHANIC THAN BURN) or invent something new, but i always felt invocations were awful and the warlock was shit.
>>
>>43453499
>>43453535

Eh, still doesn't solve the problem of the Descartian Demon, and if the Demiurge is an evil get omnipotent entity, then there is nothing to say that the spiritual world is not also a deception meant to cause you to stumble around to amuse the malice of the Demiurge.

Thus it becomes a Solipsism, with Cogito, or rather the act of self thinking, being the only sign of actuality, and any attempts to enact Chaos or Logos to be ultimately futile as any such perceptions of them would by moot.

While is supposedly "solves" the problem of Good and Evil by making everything evil, it creates an existential nightmare that robs all men of assurity and purpose, or even a need to enact or seek purpose since the Demiurge would just control everything directly.

It's basically like that one dumb Matrix fan theory that states that everything Neo experienced in the film was a simulation designed to keep away his potential and thus the whole film is moot as its just anither dream created by the matrix.

As such that particular ideology of gnosticism fails to give purpose to humanity, one of the primary duties of a religion, and is almost just as good as not having a religion at all.

At least that's what I just got from your description

Oh, and Chaos-gnosticism kinda sounds like an edgy teenager trying to be like Kefka while Lincoln Park plays in the background. Then again that's just my opinion.
>>
>>43454054
Hey Gareth, is a Dwarven Longhammer considered both a hammer and a polearm for the purposes of being a discipline weapon?
>>
>>43454078
Depends - some games rule katanas and other nip weapons as 'martial' weapons if it fits your backstory, like say, you actually came from fantasy not-japan.
>>
File: 1446600919193.jpg (46 KB, 616x599) Image search: [Google]
1446600919193.jpg
46 KB, 616x599
Reposting from last thread,

/pfg/ I come to you for advice on a plan to include Path of War in a campaign. I typically consider it to feel a bit too much like fighting game (Charge your Combo Meter to perform Hyper-Attacks!) but in this case I find it fitting.Basically I'm running a Dungeon Keeper inspired game that occasionally crosses over with other materials. Like Soul Blade/Caliber. But I need to ask what classes/styles are most fitting for whoever you helpful folks feel like advising me on. I'm fairly sure that Nightmare uses Primal Fury and Scarlet Throne, while Astaroth practices only Primal Fury (so few disciplines for big axes).So, what can /pfg/ suggest that will make my players feel they can transcend history and the world?
>>
>>43454148
If you are asking about for Piercing Thunder, I think last thread he said yes

>>43454078
Does Zwei work with Bushi? Also since using a Katana with 2 hands only requires a martial proficiency, I'd personally rule as counting as having proficiency, but said feats would only work while two-handing
>>
File: The-Flash.jpg (127 KB, 570x300) Image search: [Google]
The-Flash.jpg
127 KB, 570x300
Tell me, /pfg/ how do I go fast?
I want to have the highest unmounted land speed.
>>
>>43453463
Uh, DrowAnon, sorry to disappoint but I think you're a little off-target today. A kobold is fine too, though.
>>
>>43453451

Here's the homebrew naga race my current GM has made, hope you like it:

Naga
Racial Ability Scores: +2 wis, +2 dex, -2 con. Naga are perceptive and clever but have difficulty with harsh environments.
Type: Humanoid with the reptilian subtype
Size: Medium
Base Speed: Naga have a base speed of 20 feet, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance, they also possess a swim speed of 20ft giving them a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform a special action or avoid a hazard. Nagi can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered when swimming. They can also use the run action while swimming, provided that it swims in a straight line
Languages: Naga begin play speaking lirim and common.

Feats and Traits
Legless: Naga have the lower body of a serpent and thus no legs. They are immune to trip but cannot equip most items that take up the foot slot. Further armor is twice as expensive for them as it has to be specially made.
Lirim Coils: Naga gain a +2 racial bonus to CMB and CMD.
Sacred Breath: Naga can breathe water as though it were air.
Scale Armor: +1 natural armor
Darkvision - Naga can see perfectly in darkness up to 60ft.
>>
>>43454298
CLOACAS
>>
>>43454267
Not mine, copy paste

Race: Human
18th level wizard
1st level barbarian for +10 ft/rd
1st level cleric
Travel domain for +10 ft/rd
10 normal feats + 1 for being human: 1x run (5x speed for full run) 10x fleet (+5 ft/rd each)
880,000gp recommended for a level 20 character 230 scrolls of Time Stop for 879,750 gp
Base speed: 30(human) + 10(barbarian) + 10(cleric) + 50(fleet) = 100ft/rd
Time stop: 1d4+1 = 5 rounds (I'll be assuming 5 rounds for the max calculation, the average would be 3.5 rounds
Time stop casts: 230(scrolls) + 2(wizard casts) = 232
Strategy:
1st round, move 100 feet and cast time stop
Each time stop:
Run all rounds except for last
Last round move 100 feet and cast time stop again
100(speed) + (232(time stop casts) x (4(rounds) x 100(speed) x 5(run multiplier) + 1(round)*100(speed))) =
487,300 feet per round
92.2917 miles per round
18.45834 miles per second
66,450.024 miles per hour
That's mach 87.2955970556, enough to circle the earth in just under 22.5 minutes.
Now assuming only 3.5 free rounds per time stop, this drops to only around 42,722 miles per hour, dropping us down to just over mach 56.
>>
>>43454197
Nightmare would fight with Black Seraph primarily.
Astaroth would be Primal Fury, sure.
>>
Got in a car accident today, /pfg/.

Got rear ended, 100% their fault.

Full coverage means that my car is worth more totaled than running.

Mixed feelings.

Only minor injuries, though.
>>
>>43454346
Add boots of striding for an extra +10 move speed
>>
What are good alternate racial traits to use for a Ratfolk Gulch Gunner? Level one, no third-party stuff.

On that note, how does Scent work, and is a powder horn only filled with black powder?
>>
File: this_is_my_hole.gif (2 MB, 293x289) Image search: [Google]
this_is_my_hole.gif
2 MB, 293x289
I have a rules question.

The Tunnelrunner ability for the Cave Druid says this:

>At 2nd level, a cave druid can move through areas of rubble or narrow passages that require squeezing at her normal movement rate and without penalty.

What does "narrow passages that require squeezing" mean here? Does it simply mean "normal" squeezing (moving in an area as small as half your space), or does it mean Escape Artist squeezing (less than half your space but no smaller than your head)? Because the normal penalties for the latter are pretty severe (can't attack, denied Dex to AC, -4 AC on top of that), and it would be pretty crazy to fight without penalty while doing pic related.
>>
>>43454440

This isn't your blog.
>>
>>43454126
No, the problem of good and the problem of evil are seperate. The demiurge solves each in a different way. He doesn't meet the criteria to be a god that faces the problem of good and has motivation to create good thus solving the problem of evil.
Arguing that the descartian demon (which is what the demiurge is) may have created a second evil reality is meaningless, an omnipotent being could indeed create infinite fake realities and there is no contradiction in that.
>>
>>43454440
>This guy can't Clairsentient Counter in a vehicle.
>>
>>43454356
Had to look that one up. Very fitting, thanks!
>>
>>43454148
Does it appear in both weapon groups? Disc weapons reference the weapon groups pretty directly.
>>
If a sorcer's power comes from their genes/mutation does that mean a body swapped sorcerer couldn't use their spells in their new body?

Would the guy who swapped into the sorcerers body get access to his spells?
>>
How does this look for a Barbarian build guys? This is for Rise of the Runelords, starting lvl 1, using a greatsword.

Half-orc Invulnerable Rager Barbarian
18 STR 12 DEX 16 CON 10 INT 12 WIS 7 CHA
Giant Slayer and Fate's Favored trait
Sacred Tattoo and Shaman's Apprentice racials

1 Power Attack
2 Superstition
3 Raging Vitality
4 Witch Hunter
5 Extra Rage Power: Strength Surge
6 Spell Sunder
7 Extra Rage Power Lesser Beast Totem
8 Beast Totem
9 Big Game Hunter
10 Greater Beast Totem
>>
>>43454535
Is that a thing that can be done?
>>
>>43454544
It doesn't appear in the weapon groups at all.
>>
>>43454573
No. There's a reason why sorc spells are based off charisma - its a gut instinct that you "know" how to cast a spell without requiring several years of study like the wizard.
>>
>>43454587
See
>>43445808
>>
>>43454615
Then you'll have to ask Paizo. I'll say that I'd find it reasonable to be in both, but that's honestly not my ruling to make.
>>
>>43454637
Agreed, here.

I ran a similar build, and Lesser Beast Totem should be taken as late as possible, without forcing yourself to postpone beast totem, and especially Greater Beast Totem.
>>
>>43454573
Under the rules, obviously not. Spellcasting goes with your soul.

What exactly a "bloodline" is is pretty vague since some of them are pretty metaphysical and don't necessarily have to be related to genetics.
>>
>>43454588
The description doesn't say it is a counter of particular discipline.

>>43454655
Gareth, can Clairsentient Counter be used in a vehicle? Is it treated as a PoW counter?
>>
>>43454637

Yea, I took your advice and pushed Lesser Beast back to lvl 7. I guess I could just grab Big Game Hunter at 7 instead though, and grab Lesser at 8, then 9, and Greater at 10? Also grabbed Strength Surge since it makes sense for a number of reasons.
>>
>>43454520
So in other words, everything is evil and fucked, Good doesn't exist and if it does its just a distraction, and there is no reason for anything. Literally we are all jsut tools of amusement sitting in Xenu's TV chairs.

Can't say I see the appeal, unless I'm missing something. I generally prefer religious and philosophical viewpoints that are more in favor of the inviolate nature of agency and corresponding consequence, personally.
>>
>>43454717
Strength Surge is generally useful, it becomes infinitely more useful if you're able to rage once per round, with exhaustion/fatigue immunity.
>>
>>43454078
The feat specifically says that if you can wield it two handed as a martial weapon you meet the prereqs.
>>
>>43454458
Adding to that, what two feats should I start with? Rapid Reload, of course, but what about the second one? Point-Blank Shot?
>>
>>43454200
Yes ZS Warder and Bushi stack.
>>
>>43454756
>The feat specifically says that if you can wield it two handed as a martial weapon you meet the prereqs.

Yeah, but the feat also says you require proficiency in the weapon to use the feat.

The only way to get proficiency with a katana is burning a feat for Exotic.
>>
>>43454737
Good does exist, but only in two ways. One, as a distraction and the other in whatever the real world is past the demiurges layers of realities, which may be very difficult or impossible to reach.

Nothing about this means there is no reason for anything, as you can take actions that get you closer to freedom from the demiurge, not to mention every aspect of existence does have a reason and that reason is because it pleases the demiurge.

I'm not a gnostic bro.
>>
>>43454796
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/katana

Nope. Martial if wielded two handed. I know what I'm talking about, at least in this case.
>>
>>43454444
>>43454346
Or, if allowed, a custom magic item of constant expeditious retreat for +30ft
>>
>>43454820

>Katana
>Benefit: Characters can use a katana two-handed as a martial weapon, but must take the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (katana) feat to use it one-handed.

>Katana Expertise
>Prerequisites: Proficiency with Katana

Katana Expertise requires you to be proficient with the katana, when you are two-handing a katana you are not "proficient" with it, you are using it as a martial weapon. The only way to be proficient with a katana is taking Exotic Weapon Proficiency (katana). You can have EWP and still two-hand a katana, but without EWP you are not "proficient" in katana because it is treated as a martial weapon, not a proficient weapon.
>>
>>43454907
I think you're overthinking things. You're proficient in a Katana at all times if it's being used two-handed, but you're only proficient with it one-handed when you spend the feat to get EWP.
>>
>>43454907
And if you are proficient in a martial weapon, you are proficient in that use of the katana. You don't understand proficiency anon. The fact there are two proficiencies for the katana (martial and exotic) doesn't mean that only one is a real proficiency, its similar to the bastard sword.
>>
What's that new ranged magus and where is it?
>>
>>43454964
Eldritch Archer; Heroes of the Streets.
>>
>>43454907
Yes, you're proficient in it one-handed if you spend the feat, since then it's an exotic weapon. But if you two-hand it you use it "as a martial weapon", which plenty of classes are proficient in the use of.
>>
File: 1444562259551.jpg (1 MB, 1500x973) Image search: [Google]
1444562259551.jpg
1 MB, 1500x973
>>43454964
>>
>>43454943
>>43454952
>>43454979

So what you're saying is I'm able to use Katana Expertise as long as I'm using two hands, but the moment I let go of the blade it goes back to being a 1d8.
>>
>>43454717
It works ether way. I'm not sure I would go for big game hunter, as you will deal plenty of damage already, especial if you have to drop clear mind to get it.
>>
>>43455023
Pretty much, yeah.
>>
>>43455023
Exactly that.
>>
>>43455029

I was told it'd be a really solid choice for Rise of the Runelords.
>>
>>43454907
Let me walk you through this step by step anon.

1. You can use a Katana two handed as a martial weapon.

2. If you have martial weapon proficiency, this means you are proficient with the Katana as a two handed weapon.

3. Because of 1 & 2 you are proficient with the Katana as a martial weapon and because you are proficient with with the Katana, you qualify for Katana Expertise.

There's a clarification section that will be added to the final release of PoW:E, but it works both by RAW and RAI even without that clarification.
>>
>>43455034
>>43455037

Huh, well that wasn't hard at all, thanks!

But how am I supposed to draw a katana with two hands? If I draw it with just one hand I'll lose access to the feat.
>>
>>43455065
It will be, and you will almost away use it, but +1 to hit and +2 damage is not as good as a "oh fuck..you rolled a 1? against a will save? NO PROBLEM, JUST RE ROLL IT".

Everyone rolls shit once in a while, and when you roll shit on your saves your friends die fast.
>>
>>43455076
Quick-Draw feat so it doesn't eat into your actions? Besides, you don't lose access to the feat just because you're not proficient with the one-handed style and attempt to do so; you still have the feat and will still benefit from it once you go back to two-handing it.
>>
>>43455076
You can change your handedness as a free action. Also, sling it across your back if you want to get specific about it. It's not that hard to draw a sword with two hands.
>>
>>43455115
>>43455120

What if I've got my blade in some guy's sternum and I'm trying to yank it out, which requires me to one-hand it.

Does the guy just suddenly spring to life because he's no longer getting hit for 2d6, but 1d8?
>>
>>43455076
>>43455166
huehuehue
>>
>>43455166
>
No, because the attack already happened.
>>
>>43455187

But the damage ceases to exist because the weapon inflicting it has gone from 2d6 to 1d8.
>>
>>43454859
Its allowed in my games because enchanting armor and gear is fucking addictive as hell and makes for awesome custom gear.

Better than +X to hit enchancements.
>>
>>43455208
>>43455166
Damage happened, no matter what happens to the weapon thereafter.
Honestly, I think at this point you're just shitposting, we've explained several times (INCLUDING ANSWERS FROM THE DEV) how this works.
>>
File: bravo.gif (3 MB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
bravo.gif
3 MB, 480x320
>>43455208
By your logic, if you stop wielding one in two hands, the damage you got from THFing it giving you 1.5 Str and 1.5 Power Attack also vanishes.

You're either a troll or incredibly dense, and if you're a troll, 10/10 it worked in being frustrating and making my day all the worse for it.
>>
>>43455240
>Honestly, I think at this point you're just shitposting, we've explained several times (INCLUDING ANSWERS FROM THE DEV) how this works.

I'm breaking apart the answer to know how we reach it.

It's something you learn in Common Core.
>>
Transmuter trait, which spell would be best to select for the once per day ability? This my first time as a party buffer we have a range, dirvish dancer, polearm fighter, unchained rouge, and cleric
>Whenever you cast a spell from the transmutation school, its effects manifest at +1 caster level. Additionally, select one of the following transmutation spells: bear's endurance, bull's strength, cat's grace, eagle's splendor, fox's cunning, or owl's wisdom. Once per day when you cast that spell, its duration is doubled. A spell affected by this trait cannot be modified further by the Extend Spell metamagic feat or similar abilities.
>>
How playable is free hand fighting?
>>
>>43455313
Personally a fan of self-buffing if CHA is my casting stat.

Otherwise, DEX for the dodge, reflex, CMD, Initiative bonus.
>>
3 man party for kingmaker.
>Cleric
>Summoner
>???
what should I be? Not sure what class would complement this.
>>
>>43455531

BARBARIAN.
>>
>>43455531
ranger or anything with favored enemy: bandits
>>
>>43455531
>two casters
dont bother playing anything other than a caster yourself
>>
A rogue (False Medium) from Paizo's Occult Adventures has (Ex) Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, Silent Image, and Ventriloquism at 3rd-level.

A rogue (Hidden Blade) from Dreamscarred Press has (Ex) Invisibility from 1st-level.

The two archetypes are compatible. The former explicitly states that extraordinary effects do not get blown past by True Seeing.

When will we arrive at the logical conclusion of this and have a purely (Ex) illusionist class?
>>
File: Serperior.gif (1020 KB, 500x284) Image search: [Google]
Serperior.gif
1020 KB, 500x284
>>43454298
Sweet. I'll see if I can get my GM to have a look at this!

>>43453481
>>43453489
Nagaji is also good, and that Hypnotic Gaze race trait is pretty neato.

>I ran out of snake gifs that aren't Sumatran rock art

Dangit.
>>
>>43455321
Some dex to damage feats require it, beyond that its shit.
>>
>>43455568

Disguise from far enough away is an Ex illusion as well, because the Perception penalties will outweigh the penalties for being ridiculous.
>>
What are some good PoW archer builds?

The three core warlord, warder, stalker have some excellent diversity and archtypes but which is considered best? What about the other classes?

Also if it helps no guns... just bows, the campaign universe demands it.
>>
>>43455538
I love barbarians but I've played two.

>>43455550
>>43455563
I was thinking some sort of DPR class to pick off things that the summoner and cleric tangle up.
As we'll have WIS and INT covered, I may also need to be the face. Maybe a rogue or paladin?
>>
>>43455394
self bump would be Int and I don't get why I would, I don't need to crank up DCs if I'm a party buffer and battlefield control.
>>
>>43455651
Paladins are great, but unless you gear yourself for divine mount, you're gonna be pretty slow.
>>
>>43455659
CHA is pretty good because not only do your DCs increase, a good chunk of your skills can be used in and out of combat.
>intimidate
>bluff
>diplomacy
>feint

Take note that in certain situations, a good diplomacy roll works much better than a charm person spell, and a good intimidate roll is tons better than the fear spell.
>>
>>43455531
Bard.
I realize you guys lack a face.
>>
>>43453403
Okay, so I'm pretty new to Pathfinder as a whole (as well as online tabletop games in general.) How would I get started?

I'm planning on playing tabletop games online.
>>
>>43455802
Go to pfsrd or buy the core rulebook. Read. Follow the unified pastebin and Dreamscarred press links on pfsrd. Read some more. Find a group on roll20 or here. Play.
>>
>>43455802
>How would I get started?
Run and never look back.
>>
>>43455649
Base stalker and warlord are fine. Warder wants to be Hawkguard unless you're working specifically on a captain America build.

Any one of them can potentially benefit from the Phoenix Champion PRC.
>>
True Primitive Barbarian + Warsighted Feral Cursed Oracle -> Rage Prophet

How bad of an idea is this?
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
29 KB, 480x360
Question wasn't answered last thread, so I'll ask now
Are there any veils that imitate the soulmelds that the Totemists usually went by? Also how easy would it be to port over Soulmelds from Incarnum into Akashic veils?
I ask this because I miss my monster Melds, and a lot of the Daevic fluff I'm not a fan of.
>>
>>43456362
As far as i know Rage Prophet is pretty bad.
But ultimately i think natural attacking might help a bit.
Natural attacks don't benefit from iteratives, so high strength (like a barbarian's rage) makes up for the bab you will lose in becoming an oracle.

Chances are you will be able to do pretty well so long as you can track down an amulet of mighty fists.
>>
So, did everyone hear about how PFS is dying? The new campaign coordinator is fucking everything up to the point of most venture captains and venture lieutenants either resigning or seriously considering it.
>>
>>43455869
I could never work out if it was worth going Phoenix Champion as a Mystic. It seemed good for warlords or some of the archetype initiators, but wouldn't losing the scaling of mystic abilities hurt you?
>>
>>43456454
Wait what happened?
>>
>>43456454
How is he fucking it up?
>>
>>43456441
One of the other players is a crafter wizard.
>>
>>43456454
Source on this juicy bit?
>>
>>43456489
>>43456501
>>43456547

She started by essentially shitting on the old campaign leadership (Mike Brock, who retired this past GenCon) and calling the massive, exponential growth he facilitated and cultivated "unorganized and chaotic" or some shit. She then instituted massive, sweeping changes requiring areas to hold one con per Venture Lieutenant - and the VL positions are really just an aid to the VC position, so it's pretty uncalled for. Some of her ideas are pretty good. Despite that, she's essentially ruining the goodwill of the volunteers who make PFS a thing at all - and you simply can't treat unpaid volunteers like shit and expect your model to hold up.

It's pretty tragic honestly; I really enjoy PFS. But it may die in my area because of this.

The source is that I'm good friends with one of the VCs who is resigning and a VL who already has.

facebook dot com slash mikebrockpfs?fref=ts

Scroll down to the post made October 26.
>>
>>43456363
There aren't any 1:1 conversions, largely because it's super easy to convert soulmelds into veils and I wanted new stuff. There's some overlap of abilities since not everyone is going to have access to both of course.

General access rule for which class should get which soulmelds:

Vizier = Incarnate / Totemist
Daevic = Soulborn / Totemist
Guru = Incarnate / Soulborn

What is it you don't like about the Daevic fluff?
>>
>>43456588
>Shame on you Paizo, but I'm not surprised. Such is the nature of most employees there.

Interesting entry. Paizo must be a real shitpool.

At what point do you think did they start going downhill?
>>
>>43456785

I think they're made of solid people and this is pretty out of character of the standards of them - they're perhaps my favorite company and they publish my favorite system so it's hard for me to hate on them. I can only hope this is an aberration that will be swiftly corrected.

That being said, I have a great love for PFS - and most employees at Paizo couldn't give any less of a fuck about it. I don't really mind. DND 5E's organized play is always recruiting, and there's enough APs for my home group to be occupied for the next two decades.
>>
>>43456785
After printing their Player's Handbook

Jokes aside, for me it started when they got too... 'greedy'. When people started finding out PFS doesn't playtest their stuff anymore because they want to churn books out for profit rather than fun.
>>
>>43456842

I don't think they limit that to PFS.
>>
>>43455869
>>43456440
>>
>>43456842
Where DO they make their money, anyway? What's PFS' business model? Do you have to pay a subscription to play, or...?
>>
>>43456842
I'm questioning if they even respond to feedback.
Look at the latest books
>Packmule Fighter
>Long-Range Gardening
>Edgineticist
>>
>>43456951
>Kineticist in general

It's not that they don't respond to feedback, they actively avoid it.
>>
>>43456915
Isn't it that you can only play if you own a physical copy of the books?
>>
>>43457039
I got that vibe the moment they tossed out all the Occult classes.

None of the occult classes provide anything original to a party dynamic which can't be replicated by a bard, summoner, oracle and arcanist.
>>
>>43457060
Hey now, you have to try to make those classes as bad as a kineticist or a medium.
>>
>>43457097

You could say it takes a real understanding of class.
>>
>>43457097
Isn't the medium not bad as long as you ignore the territory pre-reqs for the spirit or take the archetype that gets rid of those requirements?
>>
>>43457048
But I thought Paizo and PFS were separate entities, IE that makes money for Paizo and not PFS. Maybe I'm wrong though, there's no PFS out where I live so I've never really looked into them.
>>
Is there any way to maximize sneak attack damage?
>>
Anybody got a screencap of the Pack Mule archetype for Fighter or anything else from Black Markets?
>>
Doesn't paizo nerf content just so it'll be inline with PFS?
>>
>>43457119
Underhanded Rogue talent. Use Deft Palm and a hidden dagger or hand crossbow or something.
>>
Question: If I have exotic weapon proficiency [some siege weapon], I can create that normally uncarryable weapon with shadow weapon, yeah?
>>
>>43457119
Not to my knowledge. The closest I can think of are those rogue talents to make 2 or 3 the minimum damage for sneak attack die.
>>
>>43457119
If you're willing to go non-lethal you can get cuh-razy with Sap Adept, Sap Master, and Knockout Artist.
>>
File: 1445467970459.jpg (7 MB, 5100x6150) Image search: [Google]
1445467970459.jpg
7 MB, 5100x6150
>>43457136
>>
>>43457163
This is not a bad idea. Knocking someone unconscious means being helpless. Helpless means vulnerable to CdG.
>>
>>43457192
Thank you very much.
>>
>>43457196
Adding on to this, if you go for grappling you can use Bushwhack and Pinning Knockout to deal pretty good damage in the surprise round if you have Slippers of Quickness of Action.
>>
>>43457048
Or a copy of the .pdf with your name watermarked on it. Otherwise you can only use the CRB.

PFS itself isn't a business at all, it's a marketing program Paizo designed to promote Pathfinder, largely grown, run, and managed by volunteers spending their own time and money on the events. As I recall, there's only one or two actual paid positions for the whole enterprise.
>>
I want to play an Ooze Druid....

;_;
>>
>>43457242
>I want to play an Ooze Druid....

Fluid druids are easy to make, anon.

Just write "F" under "Sex"
>>
>>43457117

Trust me, PFS makes Paizo a lot of money. People buy so many products (including useless splatbooks) because they want to use some overpowered feat. PFS is run by Paizo, and they're in no ways separate entities.
>>
>>43457242
>Brew Ooze lets you make awesome oozes
>You cant control them
>They are always mindless so you cant even use magic to control them
Fuck you paizo.
>>
>>43457249
No, Anon, I just want to play a Druid that can turn into Oozes.

>>43457261
There's an Archtype, and I believe there might be rules for Ooze animal companions (though that may be 3.5).
>>
>>43457278
Anon play a fucking cave druid you moron. In fact, Cave Druid/Monk is one of the only vital strike builds in the game thats good.
>>
>>43457145
Alternatively, there's a cloak from Heroes of the Streets I think. Cloak of Daggers. Lets you draw a dagger from it as a free action if you have quick draw.
>>
>>43457290

Tell me more about this Cave Druid/Monk vital strike build.
>>
>>43457290
I am a ForeverDM who cannot ever get into a game I actually want to play.

Plus, I know it's fun mechanically, but I cannot possibly tell and interesting story as a Cave Druid.
>>
>>43457311
Cave Druid 7/Martial Artist Monk 3

Wild shape into http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/oozes/ooze-carnivorous-crystal

Cast Strong Jaw on yourself

Make Flurry Slam attacks for 16d6 per hit.
>>
>>43457039
Yeah. They seem to deliberately go against the feedback that people give during playtests, if Kineticist and Medium are any indication.
>>
>>43457115
Firstly, they errata'd away those requirements. It doesn't do much.

Secondly, no. While the medium's spirits do have some neat things, the fact that you can only pick one, that their non-spirit class features are entirely fluff, and that their chassis is terrible means that you can only be any good if you pick Archmage or Hierophant. They can't do jack squat when it comes to jack of all tradesing.

I would honestly say that outside those two spirits, the Medium is worse than the Kineticist.
>>
>>43457352
So stick with the occultist or port of the binder then?
>>
>>43457149
Yes, but RAW you still take penalties to the length of time required to reload things for being a single person and such, afaik.
>>
>>43457366
The Medium /is/ the port of the binder. Or was. It didn't end up that anymore.

The occultist is actually fairly good. Middle of the road, but not terrible. I was surprised.

The psychic is a tier 2 full caster. It's got some neat things but it's... Eh. I'd rather play a class without full casting.

The spiritualist and mesmerist have some neat things but didn't hit me with anything super cool.
>>
File: index.jpg (4 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
4 KB, 251x201
>>43457313
Not even a Cave Story?
>>
>>43457352
The fact that the Soulknife archetype that DSP previewed gets to have two of its Spirit-equivalents really says something.
>>
>>43457352
Anon who has never looked at the Medium here. What happens if you just grant them the ability to change spirits X times per day using a ritual that takes a minute to perform? Or even just a full-round action?
>>
>>43457432
You get closer to the playtest Medium.
>>
>>43457437
Does that mean it becomes playable, or are its spirits so universally unimpressive that even still it's not worth switching from Archmage or Heirophant?
>>
>>43457347
Yeah, it's a whole load of Buhlshit.
>>
>>43457478
A little of column A, a little of column B.
>>
>>43457311
Google "Conqueror Ooze". Basically you turn into a huge ooze and get so many damage dice vital strike gives you a hilarious 80d6 or some shit.
>>
What's the best way to put the fear of God into someone, the way the priest does to Claude Frollo in Hunchback?
>>
>>43457798
Have the Cleric cast Fear, probably.
>>
>>43457798
Have a kobold with an extinguished candle appear in front of 'em.
>>
>>43455531
Evocation sorcerer. You talk to people and burn away problems.
>>
>>43457961
Reminds me how I one gave my players a deck with 'Deck of Many Things' written on the pack in ink.

The experienced player panicked until I told them they were the usual four-suit playing cards and had no magic aura.

Among the other actually valuable items in the treasure hoard there was a jar of air labelled 'Efreeti Bottle' and a wooden stick labelled 'Staff of Power'.
>>
Question for the vets, if you would be so kind.

A player wants to be a dual-wielding Spellslinger. Since even with Rapid Reload you can only reload/shoot a firearm once per round (without more than a 5 foot even), this would mean that to use more than 1 firearm at a time, you would need, say, 6 firearms, all loaded. But then it gets worse as sheathing a weapon is not a swift action. So, this player would essentially need to draw, fire, drop gun, draw, fire, drop gun, draw, fire, drop gun, assuming Rapid Shot allows him 2 attacks for his main hand, despite the fact that it's technically 2 different firearms.

Also, I had him take Two-Weapon Fighting, though I'm not sure if it applies to crossbows/firearms. Am I impairing this man too much, or is this just how a dual-wielding firearm character works?
>>
So I was making an unchained TWF rogue who uses an exotic weapon.
Is it worth taking a one level dip into fighter for the extra feat and proficiency?
>>
>>43458218
Well considering fighters aren't proficient with any exotic weapons, you would essentially be spending that feat on the proficiency (I'm assuming that was your plan), so it comes down to if the loss of a level in rogue affects your plans for the character at all. What level is the character?
>>
>>43458216
Advanced firearms were erratad to be able to be loaded as a free action.
>>
>>43458247
The character is starting at level 3 but seeing that it is TWF I originally put high value on the extra feat before swapping from old rogue to unchained rogue, now I'm not sure if I should change the sheet or leave it be.
>>
>>43458252
Actually sorry, after reading your question a bit closer that might not be relevant information.

Give them a magic extra arm, or a magic reloading device that functions with Rapid Reload.
Because needing to buy identical copies of the same weapon is absurd, and even more absurd when you start needing enchantments.
>>
>>43458216
Also look up the Gun Twirling feat. Lets you holster firearms as a free action.
>>
>>43458247
>>43458269
Reminder this exists.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones/opalescent-white-pyramid-ioun-stone

For 1500gp, you can buy proficiency with any weapon as long as you have martial weapon proficiency.
For 10000gp, you don't even need martial prof.
>>
>>43458216

Why can't you reload/shoot a firearm more than once per round? With rapid reload and alchemist's catridges you can push this down to a free action. All he needs then is a way to get a free hand (gun twirling/prehensile tail/alchemist third arm).
>>
>>43458247
>>43458269
I should probably add that the switch freed up two feats since I can get Weapon Focus and Weapon Finesse from class abilities.
I have 4 feats total and right now I picked up:
Two Weapon Fighting
Exotic Weapon Proficiency
without the BAB for Improved I am thinking I may just put them in Dodge and Improved Initative.

I think I may have gone overkill on "Two-Weapon Fighting needs a lot of feats."
>>
>>43458252
>>43458272
>>43458276
Yeah, we're playing with "Emerging Firearms" as the rule, so no advanced guns. Should I allow them, you think, as sort of ancient powerful weapons? We're exploring a balls-deep ruin so it could be inserted easily, I just didn't want to break the game with them.

That was the other thing I forgot, only 2 of the guns can even be enchanted at a time for his classes purposes.

An extra arm/reloading device would work well, any suggestions off hand?

And Gun Twirling seems a little intensive, it's 5 feats (3 pre-req and Quick Draw) to get the ability to holster a gun as a free action. And this wouldn't even solve the issue of reloading.

Sorry to nitpick, I'm just trying to figure out how to make this guy work out. It's shown in a lot of PF art, but I can't see how to make it practical.
>>
>>43458327
You're the GM, so just homebrew something in that seems fair to you; gun rules are pretty messed up in a number of ways so don't think you're trying to fix something that isn't broken.
>>
>>43458319
Yeah the Unchained Rogue frees up so much for Rogue feats, I never use anything else now.

I think what you have is looking just fine - I think the level into fighter (thereby delaying your sneak damage increases) may not be necessary or worth it.
>>
Anyone got the info for the Nex spirit?
>>
>>43458318
Rapid Reload and an alchemist's cartridge would be amazing, he'd only need 2 guns then, and I'm sure he'd be fine with the misfire value. Many thanks.
>>
>>43458327
They shouldn't be ancient weapons, but new ones. They should still be in dungeons, as rare things owned by high level questgivers etc, but rather than an ancient crypt they should be in an alchemist's lab or in the lair of clockwork constructs.
>>
>>43457039
The kineticist is just fucking sad. Had the potential to be one of the best classes in the first party lineup, and they fucked it with a rusty chainsaw.
>>
>>43458459
>Clockwork constructs
Perfect, floor 6 of the Emerald Spire.
>>
>>43458475

Never looked that in-depth at the Kineticist myself, but curious if any DSP devs are around:
The thread on GiTP mentioned that Psybomb ran some more detailed analysis on the Kineticist; curious if it's public anywhere, since the main counter-argument for the Kineticist is that the notorious 'expert with a bow' comparison is unreliable/misrepresentative.
>>
Hi /pfg/
I need some help building a low level, two-bladed sword character. I was thinking full fighter, but i'm not sure. Any suggestions?
Campaign level is 4, maybe 5. No third party, only paizo books.
>>
>>43458749
>fighter
>only paizo
Nah son. At least be ranger or slayer or some other class capable of doing TWF decently.
>>
>>43458749
As someone who plays martials almost exclusively:
You would be better off playing an alchemist who fights exclusively by throwing bomb-laced double-swords than you would playing a regular twin-blade fighter.

That said, as said: Slayer or ranger, and there's no real reason to play the latter.

Pick up proficiency with ioun stones later, don't waste feats on it.
>>
hello /pfg/ I was on here a little while ago asking for advice about vtt and fantasy grounds and everyone said roll20 and I wanted to thank you all. the stuff on this site can do is pretty impressive. i've got a half-elf ranger a half-elf druid and a kind of wizard joining.

so thanks
>>
File: Zepho.png (33 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
Zepho.png
33 KB, 128x128
>>43458852
I've found tokentool to be good for making aesthetically pleasing icons for Roll20.
>>
>>43458887
I will definitely check this out, was wondering about what could be done to make them better
>>
File: ZomT.png (38 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
ZomT.png
38 KB, 128x128
>>43458887
Tokens are neato.
>>
File: dms.jpg (20 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
dms.jpg
20 KB, 200x200
I normally play 4th Ed D&D but i want to start a one shot with my friend converting The Feast of Ravenmoor into a 4th Ed game BUT the problem is i don't know what CR is ( challenge rating means what? )

any and all help would gratefully appreciated!

i will be having 3 Players for this and i am writing out a Adventure Flowchart to make this as painless as possible.
>>
>>43459031
Challenge rating is how much XP you get from something and approximately how much treasure it should have.

It also tries to approximate the difficulty of the creature or trap, with 1 CR being 25% of the resources of 4 level 1 adventurers.
Resources are spells, potions, hit points, ki etc etc.
a CR 5 encounter would be a very hard fight for a level 2 party of 4, whilst it would be a quick and easy one for a level 5 party. For a party above that, the encounter is probably trivial.
>>
As of the Telekinesis Sphere Handbook's first draft, a one-level dip in symbiat with the Hekatonkheires archetype can get you your Intelligence bonus to AC, a level of Mid Caster sphere progression, Telekinesis as a bonus talent (in addition to the two bonus talents you receive when you first become a spherecaster) and your symbiat level as your class level for Telekinesis, and the best part, two extra fully-functioning phantasmal limbs that have +5 feet of reach.

I hope this is changed.
>>
Who is the caster of an Alchemist's extracts?

I take the Infuse discovery so other people can use my extracts. I take Poisoner's Gloves because obviously you do. I inject the enemy with Skinsend.

Is he able to Dismiss it, since it is a dismissable spell?
>>
>>43459197
Pretty sure the alchemist is always the caster of his own extracts and infusions, doesn't matter who used them.
>>
File: 1397265838201.jpg (518 KB, 496x800) Image search: [Google]
1397265838201.jpg
518 KB, 496x800
>>43459176
What the hell is it with touhou fag and his obsession with Spheres of Power? It nerfed casters into uselessness.
>>
>>43454080
Invocations are still orders of magnitude better than anything related to Kineticist.
>>
File: Pathfinder Seoni Iconic.jpg (188 KB, 1000x1672) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder Seoni Iconic.jpg
188 KB, 1000x1672
>>43453403
>"We Like Traps" edition

Are you saying Seoni is a trap, OP?
>>
>>43459250
>Uselessness
>Not capable of singlehandedly steering an entire game without actual work.
>Sure bruh.
>>
>>43459274
What exactly are you talking about?
>>
>>43459281
I'm saying it didn't nerf them into uselessness. Just to a more reasonable level.
>>
>>43459288
What exactly is a "more reasonable level" anyways? You simply can't bend reality to your knees at 14th level and at that point, your characters should be able of making reality your bitch, because if you don't then you'd have to rely on the DM to make encounters not suck ass for you.

The thing I'm saying is, don't balance classes with each other, balance them against the monsters and play test them. Clearly something that the whole Tabletop community as a whole has a problem with.
>>
>>43459176
Where do i find that?
>>
>>43459250

I have access to the drafts of the various sphere handbooks, which offer myriad new options for spherecasters. I cannot share the precise details, unfortunately.

The Creation Sphere Handbook's new talents allow you to play a spherecaster who can transmute an enemy martial's plate armor into a dress or an enemy wizard's robe into gold splint armor, which then proceeds to entangle and immobilize the victim.

The Time Sphere Handbook has a new "time traveler" base class in progress, a 3/4 BAB Mid Caster with full caster level for Time.
>>
>>43459176
Does the Hetakonheires archetype metaphorically get hundreds of arms, or can he physically do it?
>>
>>43458327
Guns in pathfinder blow. Even with advanced firearms, the only dedicated gun-slinging build that will beat a bow or 2h weapon is an akimbo gunslinger at the end of both the ranged and dual-wielding feat chains. Otherwise, they're inferior to bows outright, early firearms significantly more so.
>>
>>43459385

Unfortunately, the Hekatonkheires receives only four fully functional mind limbs and six less functional mind limbs over the course of its levels.

The Telekinesis Sphere Handbook also has a full-Telekinesis armorist archetype that is apparently a poor man's psychic armory, themed around conjuring and telekinetically hurling weapons.
>>
>>43459410
Oh. That's lame. The level 20 ability should be the full hundred, using similar rules to how the actual monster does it rather than actually simulating 100 limbs.
>>
>>43453710
>The Venomancer is cool, I like it. I like warlocks and i absoluteley love poison subtheme.
>>
>>43459266
No, they aren't. The kineticist's talents are flawed because of burn and poor individual design choices.
Many of the monsters from the Occult Bestiary prove just how quickly and easily wild talents can be turned into an interesting alternative to spells that function appropriately.

Invocations are shit, their 4 tier system has always been shit and will always be shit.
>>
>>43459471
Greentexted by mistake.
>>
>>43459349
Fair point. I generally dislike how there is a whole bunch of classes that simply don't really need to be there.

Here is how I'd design Spheres of Power.

1. Every class will essentially use the Full Caster progression and use the Incanter as the base.

2. Full BAB classes still have full sphere progression but lose out in the ability to apply their extra feats to augment their spell casting. Instead it'll simply go towards combat feats. They will also use the Thaumaturge's sphere per level. Thus making them very restricted and specialized. They may also spend those extra feats to gain Barbarian related stuff.

3. 3/4 BAB caster gain the ability to get sneak attack, alchemist bombs or something appropriate for them from the actual Half-bab classes without making them feel like they are totally straight-jacketed into doing one thing (like an elementalist). They'd just use the regular ass 1 per talent progression.
4. Half BAB classes gain 2x spell points per class and the Incanter's talent progression.
5. All of them may dump their extra feats like an Incanter can into the Incanter's specialty stuff, and channeling and whatnot.

This is just a few ideas I had in mind, because I rather like the idea of Spheres of Power that makes magic more fluid and concepts get alright later on. But you can't really raise your own undead army with the Death domain until later levels and whatnot. My thoughts are a work in progress, and I'll criticize the various spheres. My personal favorite spheres are Nature and Time personally. Time lets you buff/debuff like a champ and Nature gets you crowd control if you sink points into water and wood related stuff. Fire is kind of ass though.
>>
>>43459536
A lot of people are very uncomfortable with the design and power level of animate dead, so most alternative necromancy tends to get nerfed to hell.

Apparently material component costs are irrelevant and aren't at all a massive limiting factor.
>>
>>43459536

I have posted my previous grievances with various facets of the Alteration, Conjuration (especially Summoning), Mind, and Weather spheres in previous threads. Those seem to be the main offenders and sources of abuse given enough dedicated optimization (or minimal optimization, given Alteration and Aquan Transformation and Ranged Transformation).

My main issue with the chassis of Spheres of Power is the different caster levels between various classes, which I discuss here: https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43077892/#43085295
>>
>>43459603
Have you ever played a game using Spheres of Power?
>>
>>43459676

I was about to at one point, but it had never pushed through. I should be playing in a Dreamscarred/Spheres game come the 13th should all go according to plan, however.

I will be playing an incanter 8 (deliberately avoiding incanter dipping)|symbiat 2/alchemist 6, using the Ectoplasmic Scoundrel symbiat archetype and the Scholar of the Great Work alchemist archetype from the Creation Sphere Handbook. Both archetypes are incomplete, but I can still work with them.
>>
>>43455301
Common core is an awful education system that introduces roundabout methods of coming to the same conclusions you can reach with much more direct methods, all in the name of "learning how to learn better".

Shit, it's straight-up banned in my state, and not because it's a bad idea but because it's got bad execution.

That bad execution is visible here, where the anon won't shut the fuck up once given the answer no less than four times.
>>
>>43459228
Is there any RAW of this? Just want to be able to lawyer my DM so I don't get fucked.
>>
>>43458327
Um... I hate to break it to you, but other than being able to hit touch-AC at ranges well beyond every single fight ever done in pathfinder, much in the way of "that bow will never get fired into its third increment, let alone the other 7, because enemies pop-in around 50ft on the xbox" the advanced firearms are actually WEAKER for the most part than the early ones.

Less fucking annoying/stupid to reload since you're not literally packing and lighting the fuse on a blunderbuss 6+ times a fucking round, but weaker overall.

In fact, the higher the tech the weaker it is. Significantly less dangerous and far more expensive than the advanced firearms are the high-tech energy weapons (and forget ever getting to fire on auto, nor having money if you're going to try to even just keep it charged).

Throwing weapons are stronger, though short ranged (not actually an issue 99% of encounters), and bows (gods bow down and pray to it in hopes of one day doing as much ranged damage with their mythic kineticist powers, but it's not going to fucking happen anytime soon, they're only gods and that's a composite longbow)

Guns are broken as fuck in pathfinder... but are a fine example that "broken as fuck" doesn't always mean overpowered.

Just like your phone -dropped in the bath by your daughter- is certainly broken, but I guarantee it hasn't gotten stronger.
>>
>>43459578
They aren't, really. Wealth dependent factors vanish from gameplay at 9th level when things like Fabricate come online. Resources at that level end up being options to trade for items above the Metropolis limit (16,000 gp), crafting time, and looted gear.
>>
File: 1418781459029.jpg (92 KB, 400x489) Image search: [Google]
1418781459029.jpg
92 KB, 400x489
Had one of "those" moments that stick with groups for years yesterday, and it's a group full of new players aside from me and a player that was absent, too.

>Party tasked with finding the source of priest killers and end up below an old run down church/shrine in a room full of dead birds and gore
>Find a cleric boy there, malnourished and in a cell
>All friendly and helpful and seeing if he's hurt, then everybody starts searching the room
>As me (PoW fighter/bodyguard) and our cleric (gnome, new player) start to treat his wounds, I remember that there were only 4 priests killed and non missing
>Suspicious I just stare the kid down while on guard, start formulating a plot to get him in a lie; "Oh, what as the name of the high priestess that tasked us to come here? She'll be glad to see you alive. It was Sareni, was it not?" even though the high priestess was a dude
>Gnome just outright corrects me and says "Oh, you mean the guy we talked to back at the church?"
"It was a woman, do you remember?
>"No it was a guy!"

Then the DM messaged me saying that my character is suspicious of the Cleric. At that point I knew shit was hitting the fan, because that's some domination shit right there.

>Character starts getting very angry very quickly at the Cleric's inability to understand her plan, after much yelling she brandishes her sword at the Cleric
>IC and OOC the new players are confused as shit, panicking a little bit, one (ranger) steps between me and the cleric and attempts to drag me away to calm me down
>Scream "Lay a hand on me and your next bow will be strung from your own tendons"
>Lays his hand on me
>Go to roll initiative
>interrupted by a sneak attack from the priest boy who now has a giant flaming sword, but he misses
>Initiative gets rolled and my mind is clear, but nobody realizes this
>Boy is now a succubus milf, attacks the ranger and crits
>Muh bodyguard/in harm's way
>Take the crit for 30 damage screaming an insult

10/10 everybody was hyped as fuck
>>
>>43458596
I'm curious for the link to this claim. While I've done analysis on Kineticist numbers, I don't believe that I've posted them in public. Still looking for a "best damage" build on them, since nothing I've seen or made can 2-round CR-appropriate enemies with average damage, after accounting for accuracy and crit.

Buildposter was short about 10 DPR from this checkpoint, which is my minimum benchmark for a competent striker. For reference, 150% is my "needs reining in" mark until level 15 or so, after which the raw numbers stop really mattering.
>>
>>43460164
>>43460300

Do you get a warm fuzzy feeling when you see posts with players using PoW stuff in place of trash base fighter?
>>
>>43460300
Psybomb, what Tier is a Vizier?
My DM dissuaded me from playing one as he thought it looked much less effective than a regular wizard, which is certainly true, but how much less effective are they?
>>
>>43460318
Viziers are VERY solid T3s, and easily my favorite class to play. I have a guide up for them, but phone-posting so I can't link (if some kind anon will do so for me? It's in my GitP sig)

They are good strikers, team support, versatile, and great at BFC... sometimes at the same time. Also has a Crafter path if you have the downtime.
>>
>>43460300
>>43460318
Also to add to this, is it worth it to out of nowhere start taking levels in Vizier on a regular wizard and then become an Amplifier?
>>
>>43460309
I do when I see people running my Steelforge items, that's for sure. The others on the Dreamscarred team usually get a grin whenever we see stories and experiences coming from our projects, especially stuff we are currently working on (tells us we did something right, you know?)
>>
Is there any way to make scatter firearms worth anything?
Not being able to use feats like deadly shot with them seems to limit their value pretty significantly.
>>
is the Landsknecht prestige class meant for Warlords or Warders?
>>
>>43460349
It's less RAW POWER if you are an optimized wizard, but in most games it's a great way to branch the options out a bit. Veils let you do things you weren't necessarily expecting, or support you skill-side. The Amplification abilities are by far the easiest to use with a Wizard as the non-Veilweaving class, as well.
>>
>>43460406
How would you recommend a wizard that does not have practiced caster (the +2 to CL) go into amplifier? Just go Wizard 3/Vizier 3/ Amplifier X?
Or do you think if i didn't plan for it from the beginning its not worth it?

I basically want to add some damage i can use all day to my repertoire, possibly with gorget of the wyrm or something capable of AOE. Viziers advance my caster level for the purposes of item crafting too, so I'd be able to be a decent crafter for the group.
>>
>>43460401
The Landsknecht is meant to be entry class neutral. It's designed to help people capitalize on the Einhander style support we included in the game.

Warders and Zealots can capitalize on its defensive abilities, while Warlords and (Brutal Slayer) Stalkers get more out of it by relying more on the offensive abilities of the PrC. Mystics and Harbingers might not seem like good entry options, but the Harbinger's innate mobility couples really well with the Landsknecht's ability to capitalize on its positioning, and Mystic's native access to Mithral Current gives it a reason to look at the class in order to pick up some otherwise unique team support.
>>
>>43460406
>>43460572
What is the official Dreamscarred Press stance on "use X ability modifier in place of Y ability modifier when you make a Z skill check" for class features that call for Y ability modifier and also call for a Z skill check?

Can you use X in place of Y even for that class feature?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.