[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: 21[1].jpg (69 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
21[1].jpg
69 KB, 312x445
Didn't see one up.

Anyway

>What are you Playing?
>What are you Building?
>Which deck do you hate the most?
>Should anything be banned?
>>
File: 20151031_133714_LLS.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151031_133714_LLS.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
TRON NUMBA ONE

GAS ALL UNTERDECKS
>>
>>43429271
>Playing
Fish Tempo
>Building
Nothing at the moment
>Hate the most
Can never manage to deal with Amulet Bloom. Mainboard is light on disruption, but I've got Spellskite, Torpor Orb, and extra counters in the sideboard, and I never seem to draw into *any* of them whenever I board them in.

A resolved titan is pretty much gg for me right now
>>
>>43430084
Whoa, this looks interesting
>>
>>43429271
i keep seeing people build more and more infect deck at my LGS, the problem with that is it is so common everyone has all the hate for it. there are a ton of mid range decks. is tron good against them.
>>
File: 1330966965425.jpg (31 KB, 434x432) Image search: [Google]
1330966965425.jpg
31 KB, 434x432
>Warren Instigator and Goblin Guide are still 7 million dollars for a playset
>>
>>43430310
... this is sarcasm?
>>
>>43430906
>is tron good against them?
Against BGx, yes. Against something with U; conterspells can be pretty effective at putting you off your game.
>>
>>43430084
Tron is either played by the coolest dude, or the biggest douche nozzle ever.

Which one are you, anon?
>>
>>43431966
I think I'm a pretty amiable guy.
>>
>>43430084
I really like Tron
What is the lowest budget for a Tron deck ?
>>
>>43432242
Unfortunately I can't quote you a figure. I spared no expense when I built mine so I'm a bit blind to the cost. I do know the cheaper version of tron is mono U. I would recommend RG because I prefer it and I hear that it performs better. Most of the pieces are fairly cheap. The expensive parts are the karns, wurmcoils (if you consider $15 expensive), oblivion stones, Ugins (optional), and groves.

You can sub the groves for the rg painland. The name escapes me. Karns are mandatory and so are the wurmcoils so you'll have to bite the bullet there. Oblivion stones can be subbed for All is Dust but oblivion stone is the better choice.
>>
>>43432216
what your sideboard? nature's claim? Torpor orb? Rending Volley?
>>
>>43432242
that would be mono U tron
>>
I want to get into the format but I only have around 120$ to spend on cards right now, what's a good way to utilize that? Not looking to build a full deck with that, just want to get started with the format
>>
>>43432526
Decks still fairly fresh. I have half a sb put together right now. Works been killer so it's been a while since I last went to my lgs . So far it's something like:

3-4x Nature's Claim
1x torpor orb
1x Pithing Needle
1x Crucible of Worlds
1x defense grid
2-3 spellskite

All number subject to change.
>>
>>43432668
shocks and fetches
>>
Gonna be playing this for a while now. I love jeskai. And I'm trying make it fit my place style.

Land (23)

3x Arid Mesa

2x Celestial Colonnade
2x Clifftop Retreat
1x Desolate Lighthouse
4x Flooded Strand
2x Hallowed Fountain
2x Island
1x Mountain
1x Plains
1x Polluted Delta
1x Sacred Foundry
3x Steam Vents

Instant (17)

4x Lightning Bolt
2x Lightning Helix
4x Path to Exile
4x Remand
2x Spell Snare

Creature (13)

4x Deceiver Exarch
1x Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1x Pestermite
3x Restoration Angel
4x Snapcaster Mage

Sorcery (4)

4x Serum Visions

Enchantment (3)

3x Splinter Twin
1x Splinter Twin

Sideboard (15)

2x Dispel
1x Echoing Truth
4x Leyline of Sanctity
1x Pestermite
1x Relic of Progenitus
1x Rest in Peace
1x Sowing Salt
2x Stony Silence
1x Supreme Verdict
2x Wear / Tear
>>
>>43431047
What are you talking about? Guide is about 120 for a set and Instigator is under 100
>>
>>43430084
Tron's pretty gay. Not as gay as Amulet bloom though.
>>
Is Scapeshift a good deck?
>>
>>43429271
>>What are you Playing?
Naya Burn, UW Emeria Titan
>>What are you Building?
both of the above decks kinda. I lack 2-3 mesas and could probably stand another copy or 2 of stomping grounds in burn, only waiting for gifts and meddling mage for Emeria Titan.
>>Which deck do you hate the most?
Not a fan of twin, but that's less popular right now, and I haven't played since Abzan was the deck to beat. I really need to get out and play some tourneys.
>>Should anything be banned?
Probably not, the meta seems fine right now, no deck looks particularly overpowered.
>>
>>43429271
>playing
BW Tokens
>building
Duskmantle Mindcrank
>What do you hate the most
Bloom, or Tron, because they know I cant beat them without sheer luck and troll me the entire game
>What should be banned
Twin is too strong for super standard, but if we want modern to be how it should be, ie legacy lite, Preordain and treasure cruise should be unbanned to give blue back its teeth. Unbanning artifact lands would be nice, also an unban of Cloudpost could be in order along with Deathrite Shaman
>>
>>43434215
Why do you say that?
>>
>>43434153
>3x Splinter Twin
>1x Splinter Twin
>>
>>43434326
Preordain and deathrite shaman are fine to be unbanned, but I still don't think treasure cruise should be in the format.
>>
File: modern 2015.jpg (379 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
modern 2015.jpg
379 KB, 750x1000
>What are you Playing?
Affinity, Twin, RDW, and others.

>What are you Building?
Nothing. Haven't really found anything else worth playing that I haven't already.

Bloom Titan. I tried playing it and found it way too inconsistent. But every time I get matched up against it, my opponent has great hands (yes, after thorough shuffling).

I also hate Bogles. The deck isn't that great, but it hoses me from time to time. Granted, at least nobody at my shop plays Soul Sisters.

Nope.
>>
File: data rollin.gif (1 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
data rollin.gif
1 MB, 300x225
>>43431047
>>Warren Instigator and Goblin Guide are still 7 million dollars for a playset
I just sold two playsets of foil Goblin Guides.

Feelsgoodman.
>>
>>43434568
That's a pretty sweet deck but are you sure you can shuffle all that without assistance?
>>
>>43434631
>tfw people thought WotC would reprint good cards outside of mythic slots in MM2
>tfw bought a playset of Guides for burn at $12 each due to the hype

feels good indeed
>>
>PLAYAN
Affinity and Bant Company
>BUILDAN
Got BW tokens on wait, also wanna try Bant Allies.
>HATAN
Grixis / Jund.
>BANNAN
Kommand. Too much value.
>>
I like modern's card pool size but can't stand the number of decks that are either massively overpowered or fold to a single hate card. Worst deck type in magic.
>>
>>43434352
4x splinter twin pretty much
>>
>>43434645
I think Abzan Grixis Twin Bloom Titan Living End Affinity Burn Infect Merfolk Elf Tron would lack focus.
>>
>>43434246
Its either pretty good or okay to bad depending on the meta
>>
>>43434691
Bant list? I've been slowly picking up the pieces for it and don't know which direction to go
>>
File: JA_2.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
JA_2.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
>>43434772
Don't knock it till you try it brah. I think it has real potential.
>>
>>43434772
It's just waiting for that one card to make it viable.
>>
Playing
Burn, Zoo

Building
Nothing

Hate
Memeban

Ban
One vital card from each archtype every season = format evolves = more money for wizards
>>
Decks:

>Mono Black Demon Tribal
>Blue White Splicer-Golem
>Green Black Stompy Dredge
>Waste Not Storm
>Mono Green Speed Infect
>Blue Black Aggro Mill

Making a ton of decks now that I realized the value in proxies.

I don't play any tournaments or fnm, and my casual group is okay with proxies so I figured I'd save myself some money.

Now I have an issue though where there is technically no pay wall keeping me from making all the best, most unstoppable decks and ruining everyone/playing way better magic.

Example: most of my group are new to the game and don't consciously think about mana fixing and such, whereas I'm a bit more wary of the concept. So now if I have nothing stopping me from running full playsets of fetches and shock lands, I'll have a much more consistent deck than them.

I like playing magic mostly for fun so I'd rather not lids off the play group and/or become the most targeted player and/or begin a proxy arm race. Any suggestions for balancing fun and effectiveness with proxies?
>>
Thoughtseize gets the axe next ban wave. Screencap this.
>>
>>43435018
>that list
Holy shit dude. You are in the wrong thread.
>>
What is the general opinion on lantern control?

Have you played vs it?
Have you piloted it?
How did you do?

What is your biggest complaint when playing with and against it?
>>
>>43429271
>Playing
UR Twin, (Legacy) Miracles
>Building
Scapeshift, (Legacy) Shardless BUG
>hate
Don't really hate anything. I might like decks designed to 100% ignore me a bit less, but playing interactive decks means most of the field provide interesting matches.
>bans
Nah. Maybe LotV in modern if they won't unban JtMS there, just for parity, but I don't really want any bans.
>>
>>43435067

Really doesn't answer the question.
>>
>>43435103
I don't think you need to mention your legacy decks in a modern thread desu senpai
>>
>>43435272
I didn't even read that far man. You're not here to discuss anything I'm interested in.
Here's your answer anyway: Play an established format and adhere to the ban list.
>>
>>43435336

>have no imagination and adhere to my shitty, narrow understanding of mtg

Yeah thanks bro. I'll get on that bro.
>>
>>43435403
I am not even that guy and I read about 2 of those decks before I ignored the rest of your post

Go make a casual thread
>>
>>43435403
I didn't tell you to build established archetypes you fool. I literally gave you the answer to your problem. Adhere to a goddamn format so that you can avoid busted cards or an arms race. Nothing will stop you from building your shitty little decks.
>>
>>43429271
Playing/building jeskai ascendancy

Hate junk/bant, basically anything with a ton of both enchantment and creature removal.

No bans, unban SFM.
>>
>>43435303
Nothing wrong with showing off your expensive decks.
I play(ed) Esper Deathblade.

Now, as for bans/unbans, I really want to see SFM unbanned just to see what happens. I'm not convinced that it's too degenerate for Modern.
>>
>>43436203
Neither am I. The same goes for Ponder. Though I would be content if they just gave us Deathrite back.
>>
>>43434675
I wish I had done that
>>
>>43435025
Don't be silly.
>>
File: 1327504621837.jpg (42 KB, 317x379) Image search: [Google]
1327504621837.jpg
42 KB, 317x379
>there will never be another set as good as Time Spiral
Where did it all go so wrong?
>>
>>43436736
Market research.
>>
>>43436736
iktf, I started playing during Time Spiral and never quit, fuck those jews saying it was too inaccessible for new players
>>
>>43435018

This is so /casual/ it hurts. You're definitely in the wrong thread.
>>
File: 1445154577684.jpg (1 MB, 1936x1808) Image search: [Google]
1445154577684.jpg
1 MB, 1936x1808
>>43429271
>Playing
4Color Abzan, Grixis Control, MonoU Fae-Ninjas, Sultai Control and Cheerios

>Building?
Abzan Aristocrats because this deck is fucking sweet

>Hating?
I sincerely hate Blue Moon and Merfolk at the moment, fucking up people's manabases always annoy the shit outta me

>Banning?
Nothing should be banned, if anything more unbans please
If not, the only offender I see is Lantern, mostly for how long it makes games drag out
>>
>>43437621
No thoughtseize? No Vault of the Archangel? Dryad Arbor?

Drop some knowledge on me anon.
>>
>>43437621
So what do you do when someone plays a blood moon?
>>
>>43437724
No Vault at the moment specifically just because Lingering Souls + Gavony Township is such a damn beatdown in the mirror against Abzan or vs anyother grindy matchup.

Thoughtseize is a card I have fallen in love and horribly broken up with, taking shit tons of damage to your own mana base is really fucking rough and nearly 90% of the time I am able to cast Sieze, I only end up grabbing something Inquisition could've grabbed. Though I do gotta say if I ran a couple K-Finks or more lifegain MD then definitely.

Dryad Arbor is strictly meant to help Iona/EleshNorn live past an opposing Liliana, along with being a beatdown card I could fetch into if Elesh is on the board.

Deck is still very much still under construction, though, adding 2 Vaults/Siezes is something I wanna try very soon.
>>
LIVING END BEST DECK
>>
>>43437904
He gets dumped on
>>
>>43437904
I'm actually pretty good to Moon most of the time, sb Golgari Charms, mana dorks and Abrupt Decays/Maelstrom Pulses will usually get rid of it within the turn or work around it, also running five dorks in the deck sincerely smooths that all out.
Only time Moon ever hurts is against Blue Moon, in where those counters+pyroclasms really fuck me up

SB contains
2x Golgari Charm
2x Duress
2x Stony Silence
2x Nihil Spellbomb
2x Leyline of Sanctity
1x Celestial Purge
1x Siege Rhino
1x Life from the Loam
1x Raven's Crime
1x Ghost Quarter
>>
>>43438101
Forgot to mention, Celectial Purge is fucking sweet against any deck that runs Blood Moon

So in case of moon, I have 6 different outs to it, all of which aren't too color intensive.
>>
>>43437971
Clever using dryad to fetch the beatdown with elesh out. I swear by vault man, such a midrangey card. Gets even better with souls since they can suddenly kill anything and the lifegain is can let you initiate the beatdown when racing would otherwise be inadvisable.

>>43438017
Cool. Lets see your deck.
>>
>>43438231
Thanks man for the advice, any suggestions on what to drop for more Seizes at the moment?
>>
>>43429271
>>What are you Playing?
Nothing.
>What are you Building?
Affinity, though I'm looking for excuses to not play it.
Nah.
Nothing really.
>>
>>43438302
That's a tough one. Deck space looks pretty tight. I play your standard Junk Midrange list so yours is a bit of an enigma to me. You could conceivably replace some inquisitions, maybe go for a 2-1 split, withever way you like. I think you do have a point about the life loss. I'm pretty numb to it considering I do run finks. If you're looking to up the amount of hand disruption, you might relegate a gifts to the sideboard or drop it entirely. Trading out one of your reanimator targets and boarding into the more appropriate one as necessary seems like an option. Maybe favor whichever seems more relevant in your meta at the moment and keep the other on standby. But then you'll have to rearrange your sideboard which sounds like a pain in the ass. Scooze seems like the least integral creature. There might be room there.
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (34 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpg
34 KB, 223x310
This guy walks into your card binder and slaps your Black Lotus' ass. Then he runs away. What do you do?
>>
>>43438490
Dropping Scooze is something I didn't think about yet and I think I'll just drop one scooze and possibly go down to 3 Gifts for the Seizes
Thank you man!

What build of Abzan do ya run?
>>
What deck should I play? Cost is of no object since I'll be testing it on xmage, I've been playing RG tron and having fun but want something else to try.

Please be specific as I'm somewhat new to mtg
>>
File: 20151102_232543_LLS.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151102_232543_LLS.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>43438626
Nothing fancy. Just that sweet sweet value.
>>
File: 20151102_233004_LLS.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151102_233004_LLS.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>43438769
And the mana base.
>>
File: 111.jpg (75 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
111.jpg
75 KB, 312x445
>>43438588
Hire the best hitgoblin around.
>>
Went 3-0 today at a lgs and got 12 DTK packs

Pulled a single Atarka's Command.

shit sucks.
>>
>>43434568
I've noticed this with bloom titan too. Whenever I play it I can't go off earlier than turn 4-5, but when I face it, BAM turn 2 titan to the face every time. I mean fuck, come on.
>>
>>43438769
It's fucking beautiful man
Honestly, I respect Abzan more than Jund because it is the Rock of the format. It has a 50/50 matchup against every deck in the format
>>
>>43438714
What kind of decks do you like to play?
>>
>>43438714
Depends.

You could try out a few lists of popular decks that are being used in the meta and buy what you like once you've tested it enough.

And don't let anyone trick you into building your own deck, this is Modern not casual, unless you just want to have fun of course.
>>
>>43439440
Thus far I've played :
Mono black 8 rack (my build might've been shit but I won like 1 game with this)
Goblins (they were pretty neat little fuckers)
RG Tron (my favorite thus far, I win fairly consistently and eating my opponents advantage with karn or beating them into oblivion with wurmcoil/ugin/ulamog/etc is fun as shit)
And last I played this strange mono black corpse army type deck, basically revolved around sacrificing my own creatures to weaken my opponents monsters, again might have been the build but I had ZERO success with this deck.
>>
>>43434326
>Unbanning Cruise for Delver

Are you mad?
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-02+at+10.30.52).jpg (400 KB, 1494x680) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-02+at+10.30.52).jpg
400 KB, 1494x680
I tried a 5c Greeks Bringing Gifts list, so far it has beated Affinity, Elfball, Grishoalbrand and Grixis Delver. Not too sure about my tron/combo matchup though as it's a fair deck and seems too slow
>>
>>43429271
>What are you Playing?
Naya Burn

>What are you Building?
Trying to make Naya burn more consistent by dropping a couple of Atarka's Commands due to the lack of overall creatures.

Bloom and Ad Naus. I feel that these two decks are impossible to beat as Burn unless I have the right cards in hand. Lost to Ad Naus turn 5 with a really, really good hand (Guide, Swiftspear x3, Atarka's).

Ban Serum Visions and make blue players cry.
>>
>>43439588
The other three decks that you mentioned don't even come close in comparison to what RG Tron can pull off. Its a Tier 1 deck for a reason.

Try some other Tier 1 decks, like Affinity or Grixis Twin.
>>
>>43434849
4x Noble Hierarch
3x Birds of Paradise
4x Geist of St Traft
4x Loxodon Smiter
3x Voice of Resurgence
3x Eternal Witness
3x Kitchen Finks
2x Qasali Pridemage

4x Path of Exile
4x Collected Company
2x Dromoka Command

2x Elspeth, Knight Errant

4x Misty Rainforest
4x Windswept Heath
3x Temple Garden
2x Breeding Pool
2x Stirring Wildwood
3x Gavony Township
2x Forest
2x Plains
1x Island
>>
>>43434882
Battle of wits?
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 223x310
Not sure if this is the right thread but I'll give it a shot. I'm a new casual/kitchen table enthusiast since about a month or two, I've been playing mostly random decks out of fat packs and toolkits, with a couple mates.

Now, my mate plays a strong red deck with two Chandra planeswalkers that has been insufferably difficult to deal with, until I figured out the card burn capabilities of a mono blue deck. Last night I got a combo with 5 Thassas Devourers and 2 Riptide Chimeras bouncing cheap enchantments back and forth which absolutely destroyed him, and it was just ridiculously fun playing this way. I'm sold, and want to take this archetype further. Any tips for a blue mill deck in this vein?
>>
Which deck is better Jund or Junk?
How does the way one pilots it change?
>>
>>43442733
This really isn't the right thread for this. This is more for competitive decks that have been established
>>
>>43442761
Depends on your playstyle and meta, though if one is good, it's probably safe to pilot the other. I can't imagine things ever getting hostile enough for neither to be good and they both have access to a myriad of options to adapt them to nearly any situation.

It's commonly said that jund is faster and has better reach while junk is more resilient and has a denser value. The question you should ask yourself is 'do I want to play bolt, terminate, and k-command or path, lingering souls, and siege rhino?'
>>
>>43442733
>Chandra planeswalkers
Easy to deal with. Just play anything good.

>Any tips for a blue mill deck in this vein?
Don't play mill. That's generally good advice for all formats.
>>
>>43442733
>until I figured out the card burn capabilities of a mono blue deck
Where do casuals get that term from (calling mill burn)? It seems awfully pervasive.

OP, where did you hear it from?
>>
>>43442761
Where pilot style is concerned, I can only comment on the junk side of things but I think they share a very similar if not identical battle plan that boils down to: bring the game to a top deck war and grind them out with your generally superior draws. I recommend doing some Google research for some of the finer points. Watching someone else pilot either deck in a youtube match can also be an illuminating expirience.
>>
>>43443106

Hearthstone, where there's a hand size limit of 10 and any cards drawn above that are discarded (burned), which is a common side effect of mill playstyles.
>>
File: ProclamationOf1Drops.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
ProclamationOf1Drops.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
ive been playing this BossSligh deck that abuses this card (pic related)
its pretty fun when they cast a Pyroclasm or something else that wipes your board and then you play this , blowouts with all those hastey one drops

4 Proclamation of Rebirth
4 Vexing Devil
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Goblin Guide
3 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Faithless Looting
4 Young Pyromancer
2 AEther Vial
2 Path to Exile
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Arid Mesa
3 Clifftop Retreat
4 Mountain
3 Plains

SB: 2 Path to Exile
SB: 2 AEther Vial
SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
SB: 3 Blood Moon
SB: 3 Wear // Tear
SB: 2 Grafdigger's Cage
>>
>playing
MODERN MUD, or "Colorless Tron" for the scrubs who don't play Legacy

>inb4 "decklist pls"
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Wurmcoil Engine
4 Lodestone Golem
1 Sundering Titan
4 Urza's Tower
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
2 Phyrexian Metamorph
4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
1 Blightsteel Colossus
4 Darksteel Citadel
1 Myr Battlesphere
2 Lightning Greaves
4 Cavern of Souls
2 Steel Hellkite
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
4 Expedition Map
1 Platinum Angel
4 Mind Stone
2 Island
4 Titan's Presence
SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 Spine of Ish Sah
SB: 2 Trading Post
SB: 1 Sundering Titan
SB: 1 Duplicant
SB: 1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
SB: 3 Spellskite
SB: 2 Culling Scales
SB: 1 Platinum Emperion
SB: 1 Silent Arbiter
SB: 1 Orbs of Warding

thank fuck for Titan's Presence giving this deck some more viability, it is by far the best card to come out of BFZ

>I don't play Legacy/understand this deck, what the fuck does it do
combo with Kuldotha Forgemaster into Blightsteel Colossus is the "ideal" win con, but generally it's "play big swingy shit"

>building
FOILING MODERN MUD

I'm also thinking of doing a couple tweaks here and there, such as replacing an island with an Eye of Ugin, possibly throwing Void Winnower or Emrakul somewhere in the 75 (replacing Battlesphere and moving the sideboard Ugin into main) and maybe doing something about the Chalices because I've been boarding them out too much lately

>deck hate
anything with Stony Silence or Crumble To Dust in their 75, Blood Moon is only an issue when I only have natural Tron and a hand of 6+ drops, I very rarely see Creeping Corrosion

>ban pls
nah
>>
>>43443465
>Proc
>Vexing Devil
Neat. Will test it out.
>>
>>43443474
Looks cool. Does it even work?
>>
>>43443502
I frequently go 3-1 at weekly events in a semi-competitive environment, so I'd say that it works
>>
>>43432668
Pick up either mono-red burn, or the white-black event deck
>>
>>43443530
Define "semi competitive" because I have a feeling our definitions aren't the same.
>>
>>43436736
They realized the feels from weaponized nostalgia were too great, and sealed it away in order to prevent the player-base from ever complaining about the POS characters we have today.
>>
>>43443667
>They realized the feels from weaponized nostalgia were too great and sealed it away
>sealed it away
>We are getting 2 return blocks back to back to never returned to planes.
I'm gonna go with "no".
>>
Grixis twin or Affinity? Pros and cons of each deck? Cost is of no consequence
>>
>>43443691
Those are my two primary decks.

I prefer Grixis Twin.
>>
>>43429271
>What are you Playing?
Kamigawa
>What are you Building?
I just got into the game competitively. I wanna build Scars of Mirrodin decks though
Hatin' is for loosers, dude
Bullying

Do you guys have any resources I can use to get informed about the present state of the metagame and the main builds existing for each expansion?

Pls no bully
>>
>>43443663
PPTQ/GP grinders playing tiered decks outnumbering random people most weeks, sounds like a solid definition to me
>>
>>43443688
Timespiral was a throwback to old magic. The planes we are returning to are new magic. Both zen and innistrad are post planeswalker card type introduction.
>>
>>43443688
>return to dominaria when
>>
>>43443720
Firstly, you can find some good information at mtgtop8.com. However you should pay more attention to your local meta. Second, don't restrict yourself to a single block when constructing a deck. You're only holding yourself back.
>>
>>43443744
Because having 20 sets on dominaria are just 1 too few. Besides, I wouldn't want them to fuck it up, Time Spiral was as good an ending as can be made.
>>
>>43435025
>>
>>43443720
Take a look at >>43438769. There are nine blocks worth of cards in that deck, excluding the lands. You can do so much more outside block constructed.
>>
>>43434326
>give blue back its teeth
>modern
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahshahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahshahhahahahahahah
>>
>>43443715
Any particular reason why? I'm not very familiar with either of these decks
>>
>>43443766
>don't restrict yourself to a single block when constructing a deck. You're only holding yourself back.
Can you tell my friends this? They pretty much only build block constructed
>>
>>43443867
They play completely different. One is blinding fast aggro while the other plays a grindy control game. Both are excelent decks, but play so different that you may love or hate them just out of your prefferences.
>>
>>43443880
Break the mold, dude. Slap a scars/innistrad deck together and wreck your friends. You don't like having friends right?
>>
>>43443766
>>43443829
I think I am the thematic kind of deck builder, but really, If I've been doing so up till now its just because I've been working with the old cards I had when I was a kid.

I'll take things as they come and simply enjoy the ride. But I'll certainly delve into mixing blocks, that's for sure.

Thank you very much for the help btw. One last question, how does Kamigawa fare when compared to modern MTG?, Just 'cause I may build some decks for dat nostalgia value.
>>
>>43443951
The only good cards in kamigawa are banned in modern, so what is available is a pretty weak block
>>
>>43443951
Most, if not, all modern legal block constructed decks would be crushed under foot.
>>
>>43443984
>>43444011
Shit nigga. New cycle when?
>>
>>43443867
>Any particular reason why? I'm not very familiar with either of these decks
I can usually count on the following decks in my meta: Bloom Titan, Jund, Bogles, Affinity and RDW. Note: These are the better decks out of about 12 people.

Twin has a decent game vs. Titan, Bogles and Affinity. I have 2 EE, 4 Spellskite, 3 Blood Moons, 2 Thoughtsieze and an extra Kolaghan's Command in the side.

Jund is grindy and RDW is not great, but compared to Affinity:

1. Not a great Bloom Titan match (again, Blood Moons in the side, but I have to get them... also Titan brings in Pyroclasm).
2. Affinity is 50/50.
3. Bogles is auto-lose.
4. Jund is grindy (Kolaghan's Command, ugh).
5. RDW is not good.

So, it's a meta call. I love Affinity (great deck), but it's hard to win the whole thing at my flgs.
>>
I wanna make a black red burn deck centered around surgical extraction. What are good cards/strats to compliment this? Kind of new to mtg.
>>
File: 1436052475005.jpg (124 KB, 803x1122) Image search: [Google]
1436052475005.jpg
124 KB, 803x1122
>>43444161
Cut black, add in green for atarka command and white for lightning helix and kor firewalker. :^)
>>
>>43444161
Cut surgical extraction. Run Bump in the Night and 2 Tasigurs. Throw some Rain of Gore and Self-Inflicted Wound in the sideboard.
>>
>>43443474
Meh.

I tested against a bunch of tier 1 decks. It usually lost unless Chalice of the Void for 1 got played early. That's the one really strong play the deck has.

Lodestone Golem, Chalice and Titan's Presence are nice. But the shell just isn't the same without Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors, and Metalworker for reliable speedup.

I didn't bother testing with slower decks like Jund, Junk, etc. I could see where this might do better in the long run.

I don't really see why anyone would play this over RG Tron.
>>
>>43444161
Surgical extraction is sideboard tech, meant for hosing fragile combos. Not a build around card.
>>
>What are you Playing?
B/W Soul Sisters.
>What are you Building?
Bant version of Boggle.
I can't deal with Tron.
Modern is pretty balanced desu senpai.
>>
>>43444161
What's your budget? What's your current build?
>>
>>43444334
>>43444575

Alright word, i like the exile mechanic but im just shit at this game still and barely kbow combos etx. I read mtgtop8 but i wanna make my own shit, thanks for the pointers though
>>
>>43444667
Budget is like 60-80 bones I think to start, could go adding to it over time.
>>
>>43444667
What should I prioritize getting? Can prob ask my friends who are way more well versed if they have the cards etc
>>
>>43444727
Unless you enjoy losing over and over, just run Burn.

Since you're budget constrained, you could start with something like this:

4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Evolving Wilds
7 Mountain
5 Swamp

2 Keldon Marauders
4 Gurmag Angler
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Spike Jester
2 Spark Elemental
4 Eidolon of the Great Ravel

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Bump in the Night
4 Lava Spike
4 Blightning

With this, you might end up 1-3 instead of 0-4. If your meta is weak enough, you might be able to get 2-2 or even 3-1.

Eventually, you would want to get Goblin Guides, fetchies, etc: http://mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=226&meta=51&f=MO
>>
>>43444742
>Can prob ask my friends who are way more well versed if they have the cards etc
Do your friends usually get into the top 4 at FNM?

If not, they might be relatively clueless.

By the way, are you sure you're in the right thread (format)?
>>
>>43444674
>i wanna make my own shit
It takes a good bit of skill to make a special snowflake deck that is any good. Anything that is any good becomes a staple before long.
>>
>>43444831
Nah they dont place in the top 4. FNM and the store im starting to go to typically play modern so I want to start constructing with that - standard is too stifling
>>
>>43444161
Is this for FNM or kitchen table?
>>
>playing
Naya Burn

>building
Grixis Twin/Control

>hated deck
Abzan in any form

>should anything be banned
nah
>>
>>43444870
>Nah they dont place in the top 4.
That makes sense. Good players typically have reasonably decent spare decks to loan--it can be hard to place at FNM if all you have is one good deck, because if you do place, people will alter what they play/sideboard/etc.

If you're a budget player, with scrubby friends that really wants to win some games, just do Burn or Infect (or try assembling both). Infect is nice, because decks like RG Tron just lose to it. You can do a budget UG infect build without the Noble Heirarchs and it won't set you back too much.
>>
>>43444334
>Tasigur
>In burn

No

Just No

Fucks sake run Vexing Devil but don't even think of throwing in a damn Tasigur in the deck.
>>
I forgot-- Bogles is also pretty cheap these days since they reprinted Daybreak Coronet. You can put together a version without Horizon Canopies for very little $$. It has some bad matchups, but you can really fuck Affinity and Burn (watch out for Deflecting Palm).
>>
>>43444878
FNM
>>43444915
Word ill keep that in mind, may try and build the first burn deck posted then work on infect
>>
>>43444952
He wanted to to RB, dude.

Vexing Devil sucks ass.
>>
>>43445000
Better off than a 4/5 that will sit there and do nothing other than be a 4/5.

At least Vexing devil forces your opponent to use removal or take 4.
>>
>>43445034
How much is a playset of Vexing Devils?

How much are two Tasigurs?
>>
>>43445057
Playset of Vexing Devils will come out to around $34

Two Tasigurs are around $10
>>
File: Rakdos Burn.jpg (132 KB, 524x839) Image search: [Google]
Rakdos Burn.jpg
132 KB, 524x839
>>43444161
Made a sample list of Rakdos Burn
>>
>>43445201
Get Tasigur out of there. You're not going to consistently have the mana to use him. Add a couple of shard volleys or something.

Molten Rain is fine, but if you get rid of tasigur you can run more basics and play blood moon instead.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (35 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
35 KB, 223x310
>>43438588
Drop this, wait a turn, then pop him for 1.

Try to run from me now
>>
>Playing
RG Tron

>Building
Not sure yet, maybe Jund burn or Affinity

>Hate
I have no idea what the deck is called, but blue-counteryourwholefuckingexistence.dek is pretty aggravating. But I'm fairly new so maybe it's just me.

>Bans
No idea, like I said I'm new. Ugin The Spirit Dragon seems pretty insane though
>>
>>43445201
Cut black. Add white for lightning helix and Boros charm.
>>
>>43445326
Yea I figure that the Tasigurs are just a waste.

What matchups would Blood Moon be useful in though apart from Tron?

>>43445387
I know how Boros/Naya burn works, This is Rakdos.

Revelry is an exception though, its that good.
>>
>>43445401
Greedy manabases. Maybe it's just a meta thing for me but blood moon does work in my naya burn deck
>>
>niggers on MODO who just stop playing instead of conceding
>>
>>43445359
Hating on counter spells is pretty common for new players. You'll get over it.
>>
>>43445401
>What matchups would Blood Moon be useful in though apart from Tron?
Why do I have a feeling you know nothing of the format?
>>
>>43445435
Naya burn is a tad different due to Atarka's Command being a 4-of.

Also some lists run Nacatl, which makes running Blood Moon impossible.
>>
>>43445462
I don't use Blood Moon and i don't run Twin
>>
>>43430222
I can't see a resolved titan early could definitely screw you over but in the late game vapor snag or harbinger could just tempo them out, for actually combating the deck doing its thing, I'd run a few spell snares in the main, they can always counter something against most decks and it's a plus if you get people to play around it when they don't need to
>>
>>43445465
>some lists run Nacatl
I thought about running it, but doesn't seem any better than a burn spell. If I draw a Nacatl late game and just need to hit that last 2-3 damage I'm going to be sad. It doesn't immediately affect the game.
>>
>>43432668
A playset of serum visions and a playset of bolt, then from there sell your soul so whenever you open a bfz pack you get an expedition
>>
>>43432668
Start building your mana base. Fetches aren't going to go down after rotation. They'll only be more expensive. And who knows when shocks will get reprinted.
>>
>>43434246
No ;A;
>>
>>43434246

I wish.
>>
>>43434326
If you want to "give blue back it's teeth" then they could just unban jace, brainstorm on turn 4 - unknown is way more balanced than very often ancestral on turn 3
>>
File: K4c69Yp.jpg (28 KB, 279x304) Image search: [Google]
K4c69Yp.jpg
28 KB, 279x304
>>43434568
>Mfw everyone's having problems with bloom and every deck I've played the since dragons has had kholgans command and or Abrupt decay
>>
>>43434772
All the fetch lands and shocklands are the highest played cards in the meta, clearly this means 5 color is the best choice
>>
>>43445513
Yea, thats what I thought too.

Tested Nacatl for a bit and its just a dead draw past turn 1-2.

And it has to stay alive after a turn in order to get any sort of value out of it, assuming that the opponent hasn't played a blocker.
>>
>>43435018
You and all your friends are why edh exists, get all the big flashy cards they all want to play out of your system then later on all you'll want to do is flashback lightning bolt with snapcaster
>>
>>43445648
>Play against Bloom
>T1 Amulet
>T2 Win

Seriously I have no idea why people say that Bloom is hard to play. Fucking impossible matchup for Tron as well.
>>
>>43435025
If Thoughtseize gets banned I'll eat my own hat
>>
>>43445711
>Big Flashy Cards

This is why my commander is Maelstrom Wanderer

Fucking John Cena of EDH.
>>
>>43435403
Have some fucking self control with who you are as a person dude
>>
>>43436171
Ascendancy was a thing because treasure cruise existed, as cool as it was
>>
>>43443880
Play limited with them until you're all good at magic
>>
>>43443951
Download cockatrice, make casual rooms, you're welcome
>>
>>43444161
If you're new to magic you should draft, gain skill and card value then trade what you've stocked up in card value to get a high tier deck
>>
>>43443880
Pre-construct a competitive deck (budget or otherwise) and wreck their asses with it.

If they care, they will git gud. Otherwise make new friends.
>>
>>43445748
They know their audience
>>
>>43445716
When you slap splinter twin on an exarch you just win the game but that doesn't mean twin isn't a skill intensive deck, bloom has to know it's deck very well and tutor appropriately, know what decks you should be on the titan plan and what decks you should be on the Combo plan against
>>
>>43446055
To be honest I've had people tell me otherwise about Twin, that you basically stall until you get a window to combo out.

Bloom may be harder to sequence but a T2 win is so fucking cheap, especially with how non-interactive it can be.

At least with Infect you need a stacked hand to win T2.
>>
>>43429271
>what are you playing
A pretty basic abzan list and having really good results mixing painful truths with seige rhinos, and grixis control
>>
>>43446230
Hit submit way too fast

>what are you building
I'm trying to make a ubrw list work with painful truths, lightning helix, commands, etc bit it's not so hot
>what do you hate
I like burn but for fucks sake the players don't act like they know it has a higher hand variance when they pick it up
>bans
I'd like for jace, stoneforge, and bloodbraid to all get unbanned at the same time but lord knows that's way too risky
>>
>>43445716
>BGx midrange pls
>>
>>43446301
>Jace, Bloodbraid

Fuck no.
>>
So, weird question: I'm a former competitive player who only plays EDH now. There was a Modern tournament at my new FLGS the other day and people playing Twin were EOT Lightning Bolting opponents in the face.

Isn't that just an awful decision to make in every matchup?
>>
>>43446377
If you release the devil you have to let god out too
>>
>>43446393
Not if it comes down to a race, which can often be the case in grindy vs grindy where both can't gain life
>>
>>43445057
I'm not sure if you should run tas, but you should absolutely buy some, hes going way up after he rotates
>>
>>43444902
I'm sorry we run finks man, I swear we just want to beat the mirror it's nothing against you
>>
>building Grixis control
>want to build Junk or Jund
>don't have enough money for both
Why even live
>>
>>43446797
Build Jund, it's never not good
>>
>>43446797
>2015
>not whoring out your boypuss for modern decks
>>
>>43446833
Please tell me how to do this
I'm desperate
>>
File: 224[1].jpg (70 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
224[1].jpg
70 KB, 312x445
I have one of these and they just jumped to $12.

Will they go up or should I Sell now?
>>
>>43447193
I could see them settling around 20, jund and grixis rely on it pretty hard nowadays
>>
>>43447193
Unlike other meme decks, Grixis Control is solid enough that it wont fade put soon. I'd say keep it.
A year or 2 ago I'd have thought that there's no way a card like that could go even higher than 12, but nowadays prices spike nonstop.
>>
When, if ever, is cruel ultimatum worth running?
>>
>>43447315
When you're playing a different format.
>>
>>43447315
>Is the effect good?
>N
Throw it in the trash
>Y
Is it expensive?
>N
Standard/Modern/Legacy/Vintage playable
>Y
Commander Playable
>>
>>43447176
Same here. If I finish Grixis control and a BGx deck I'll have burn to supplement them. I'd be playing everything but Degenerate Twin.

but I don't have the money
>>
>>43446401
... Stoneforge is far from "the devil", anon.
>>
>>43447407
Jace is the devil and bloodbraid is god, they cancel eachother out
>>
>>43447470
>Giving Temur access to both God and Satan
>>
>>43447802
Temur becoming tier 1 would make my fuckin day
>>
>>43447802
>Jund
>BBE, cascade into K Command, bring back Goyf/Banana Man + Shock anything/make you dump a card/kill your Ravager
I've heard of dirty combos before, but this... This is a whole new level.
>>
>>43447988
Blightning has nothing on kcommand for sure.
>>
>>43447176
>>43447396
>go to desu storage
>search for modern on /tg/
>find free jace edition thread
>???
>>
Is there any deck in which i can jam kiora ( new or old) that is competitivo?
>>
>>43449777
She's pretty good in Restore Balance.
>>
>>43449777
EDH
>>
>>43449833
New or old?
>>
Is Grove of the Burnwillows usable in a Jund deck?
Doesn't enter tapped and the one life is pretty negligible. Plus it can be tapped for colorless when needed to avoid the lifegain.
>>
>>43450943
Consistency is important in a three color deck. It doesn't mater if you're running a taiga if you cant fetch it.
>>
>>43451163
If he's running at least stomping ground it might not be too bad, I pretty much see it like playing a pain land except your painful truths are a bit better
>>
>>43451230
Id be running all the fetches and shocks that the standard list uses but they run twilight mire and some other strange lands like tectonic edge that i was thinking of subbing out for the willows
>>
>>43451463
Things like tectonic edge's are there for a reason. How do you expect to disrupt tron's mana base without them?
>>
What would turn goblins from a pile of cards into a real deck?
>>
>>43451713
Just look up Legacy Goblins.
>>
>>43451713
Food Chain, Recruiter and Ringleader would make it a thing overnight.
>>
When will we see the raise of Jeskai? I have been waiting for 2 years.
>>
File: gLUxW9D.png (512 KB, 640x479) Image search: [Google]
gLUxW9D.png
512 KB, 640x479
>What are you playing?
Tarmo Twin.
>What are you building?
Nothing, I just got my last goyf so I'm good on getting new cards for a while.
Tron and Lantern. Also dumb things like all in Nivmagus and Bogles.
Maybe amulet, but I really couldn't care either way. The format seems pretty balanced right now.
>>
>>43453153
>I'm good on getting new cards for a while.

I have the same feeling too. I think I'm done with my deck. But I know I will just keep buying more cards.
>>
>>43453197
I definitely don't have the dough for anything else at the moment. I have other hobbies and you know, bills and stuff. Someday I'm putting Zoo together so I'll have two decks with no overlap so I can just hand one off to a friend if they need one.
>>
>>43453342
same. Just bought my last snapcaster and 4 twin. I'm trying to safe up for scalding tarns now.
>>
How do we make Boros Twin viable?
It has at least two infinite combos and access to pretty okay removal
>>
>>43453637
What's the second combo?
>>
>>43453757
kiki+resto angel
>>
>>43453637
UWR twin with Kiki Resto Twin Exarch Pestermite Midnight Guard and Intruder Alarm
>>
>>43450424
Old iirc
>>
>>43454072
I keep playing restore balance on MTGO, people always leave match in game 1

I should start doing dailies
>>
File: 34774985.jpg (57 KB, 300x356) Image search: [Google]
34774985.jpg
57 KB, 300x356
>>43454094
Thanks for the (you)
>>
>>43454135
are you *that* lonely anon?
>>
When will Jeskai be good???

I've been a fan for 3 months, and I'm losing patience with them!!!1
>>
>>43454256
But seriously, this is the list I'm gonna be running for now. I net decked it from a bunch of different decks online. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on what's the best build is. The difference were actually pretty big. Some like to do a more aggressive tempo plan, some like the control plan and some go all in combo.
>>
>>43453637
It's viable. It just doesn't have the drawing, filtering, or interaction that blue gives the deck, so it's not as good.

If white had those things it could function at a higher level.
>>
>>43454256
>When will Jeskai be good???

When aggro gets better.
>>
>>43454256
All your restos have the same art anon
>>
Is it possible to build a RW norin soul sisters deck
Just wanted to try something goofy like that
>>
>>43454358
I'm not even running helix now

>>43454363
you again
>>
File: 1436505006412.jpg (590 KB, 1536x864) Image search: [Google]
1436505006412.jpg
590 KB, 1536x864
>>43454400
Have you thought about running UW Control? It wins by countering everything then casting sphinx's revelation for 15.
>>
>>43454151
Would he be here if he wasn't?
>>
>>43454432
Ah... this brings me back....
Go to hell you cancerous piece of shit
>>
>>43454497
But anon-sempai how can I go to hell if I'm already in the Modern General desu ka wa?
>>
i've been playing a tribal rogue deck. my list is really budget, i think it's ok, as i've beat some expensive decks, but i get steam-rolled a lot. looking for some advice, here's what i'm playing:

3x Cold-Eyed Selkie
2x Earwig Squad
4x Invisible Stalker
4x Oona's Blackguard
4x Stinkdrinker Bandit
4x Triton Shorestalker

4x Duress
4x Mana Leak
3x Thieves' Fortune
4x Vapor Snag
4x Spreading Seas

sideboard:
2x Earwig Squad
3x Morsel Theft
3x Noggin Whack
2x Pithing Needle
2x Ratchet Bomb
3x Spell Pierce
>>
>>43454619
oops, forgot my mana base

7x Island
7x Swamp
3x Temple of Deceit
3x Underground River
>>
>>43454619
anon it's just a bad deck, no amount of help will make a rogue tribal deck even tier 4 in modern

Faeries is maybe tier 3, and Merfolk and Elves are both Tier 1-1.5, so if you are set on tribal play one of those
>>
File: 1290238.jpg (49 KB, 460x613) Image search: [Google]
1290238.jpg
49 KB, 460x613
>friends want me to play modern
>do kind of miss 60 card
>take netdeck designs and try to put my own spin on them / reduce cost
>still $500+
>still consistently lose to my brothers "bad" mono red
>I have tried five different decks so far

God that fucking eidolon of the great revel salts me so much I want to make a lifegain deck or something.
How the fuck do people survive taking 4+ damage turn 1 and bolting themselves for lands?

Obviously you need to play to your meta, but I feel like not even an entire sideboard devoted to beating red would be enough. But if I just made a deck to beat his it would suck at everything else.

Looking for either constructive advice, or affirmation that I need to forget all about modern entirely.
>>
>>43454712
just make a good deck, burn isn't even that dominant
>>
>>43454094
Is MTGO free once you pay the $10 fee?

How far can you go in terms of building a collection without paying money?
>>
>>43454712
What decks have you tried?
>>
>>43454755
Merfolk, gruul aggro, dredgevine, and grixis control
If I win a game I don't win the set, I think I won a single set against him once with gruul
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.