[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup, /tg/, been thinking of doing something Fallout-related and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: Vault Boy.png (393 KB, 1116x1143) Image search: [Google]
Vault Boy.png
393 KB, 1116x1143
Sup, /tg/, been thinking of doing something Fallout-related and was wondering if there were any good ideas any of you had out there for Vaults. I had a concept of a few random number tables that would dictate the Vault's location (within the Thirteen Commonwealths, possibly Canada, though I don't know if any Vaults were built there post-annexation) and its experiment.

I'll start us off with a couple ideas I had:

>Lawbringer Vault: A vault populated primarily with members of Law Enforcement and their relatives, stocked with exhaustive libraries on the criminal justice system and an extremely large surplus of alcoholic beverages.

>The 'Red' Vault: A Vault comprised of exactly 999 Slavic-Americans and One Anglo-American to be appointed as Overseer. At exactly twenty-five years into the Overseer's tenure, a message would activate in his terminal, urging 'Comrade Russovsky' that the time for revolution has come and that the capitalist overseer must be killed, immediately followed by a sheepish plea for the Overseer to disregard the message. The experiment is to see the effects of a leader dealing with a populace he has known for a long time showing hints of being something he cannot trust.

>The Americana Vault: A Vault stocked to the brim with everything that makes America American, with flags and iconography virtually every surface. Every single holovid is American propaganda, every book is American history or fiction with thinly veiled nationalist messages. There are no globes, only maps of America labeled 'The Only Place That Matters'.

Have any ideas of your own, /tg/?
>>
>>43046989
Isn't the last one kinda already what's going on? I mean all vaults are basically like that but with their own experiment added on top
>>
How about a vault filled with psychics or has that already been done?
>>
>>43047023
I mean to the degrees of absolute absurdity. Where even Fallout Pre-War Americans would go 'We GET it, already!' Complete saturation to where no other waking thought could be allowed.

>>43047025
We talking mentalists and magicians or actual psychic psychics?
>>
>>43046989
There was a really awesome thread awhile back where a guy pitched ideas for Fallout New Orleans and it's surrounding area.

It all fit in really well with the lore and had some really interesting ideas. Does anyone remember that?

Also I had an idea for a vault where all the people had their brains uploaded onto a super-super computer and left to calculate and run simulations for all eternity, with no ability to access the outside world.

Anyone who controlled it in the wastes would be able to calculate any situation for the best outcome, but it's guarded by hyper-advanced robots modified by the super-computer.
>>
>>43046989
Red Cross Vault: A vault completely populated by medical and rescue professionals. It is was stocked with the largest, most extensive library of medical literature, but with medical dispensers designed to fail one year into their stay.
>>
http://fallout.gamepedia.com/List_of_known_Vaults

That should give you a good starting point, at least.
>>
A vault meant to act as a control for an entire population consisting of office workers with no real practical value, is accidentally supplied exclusively with medical supplies that cause random genetic modifications.
>>
>Vault 56

>Of the 200 inhabitants, 190 are deaf mutes trained from birth to communicate through interpretive dance. The remaining 10 are normal theater critics, who posses the only keys to the armory.
>>
>>43046989
A vault is constructed and filled with 5% pharmacists and chemists, 95% habitual drug abusers and a DEA agent is given the position of overseer. They are given no entertainment devices of any kind and the raw material dispensers are thoroughly overstocked. The Overseer is instructed to remove any source of distraction.
>>
>A Vault populated only by individuals that passed the SAT but failed the Presidential Fitness Test. To be stocked with extensive exercise equipment, a surplus of Buffout, Psycho, and Grognak the Barbarian Merchandise.
>>
Vault 78: The vault itself is designed to look like a space ship both interior and exterior, including simulated views of space out of the windows. The inhabitants are led to believe that they actually boarded a ship designated for another viable planet in the event of a nuclear war. Maybe include some indicator or propaganda that theirs is not the only vessel to be making the trip and is not the first, that by the time they reach the new planet, other ships will have arrived before them and had many years to settle. When the time comes for the vault to open, the entire "space ship" raises up from underground via an elevator lift system to rest on the surface, so when the door opens it appears to the dwellers that it landed.
>>
A vault that copies the Space Station 13 meta.

The game already lends itself toward a unique vault: five mostly sovereign sectors that theoretically need to work together to keep the whole place operating.

Then people start playing and you come to the realization that two of the sectors can run completely autonomously but the other three sectors still need the five sectors working together in order to function correctly. Cue jealousy, envy, and distrust.

On top of this set up you have a command staff with limitless access that is regularly incompetent or, if competent, abuses their power. Furthermore, the command staff theoretically has control of security, one of the few groups with easy access to weapons, and final say over SPACE LAW!

What really makes all of this fun is the realization that somewhere on this station are traitors, changelings, wizards, ninjas, specops teams, aliens, blobs, or any other of several threats. With a few exceptions, these forces are better equipped, better trained, and faster/stronger/better than a crewmember. And they ARE coming for you.

These factors together have created a paranoid, short tempered, and highly skilled player base. Space Station 13 is essentially full of blue collar MacGuyver/Rambos who don't want no trouble being ordered around by Kim Jong Un while Spetsnaz Xenomorph Sorcerers work to blow up the place

That is the Vault I want to see.

The OTHER Vault 13.
>>
File: Fallout_Tactics_Box.jpg (30 KB, 324x401) Image search: [Google]
Fallout_Tactics_Box.jpg
30 KB, 324x401
>>43047055
>a super-super computer and left to calculate and run simulations for all eternity, with no ability to access the outside world.
>guarded by hyper-advanced robots modified by the super-computer.

This sounds awfully familiar...
>>
File: latest[1].png (1 MB, 2308x1728) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
1 MB, 2308x1728
honestly I just want to see more control vaults

Everyone wants to be that clever guy with a funny vault idea but the truth is that these ideas will almost always just be shitty gimmicks that even the Enclave would not be stupid enough to actually do

Meanwhile everyone forgets that you can still do an interesting town without being a gimmicky vault
>>
>>43047531
>Everyone wants to be that clever guy with a funny vault idea but the truth is that these ideas will almost always just be shitty gimmicks that even the Enclave would not be stupid enough to actually do

Have you even fucking looked at the official list of vaults?
>>
>>43047531
The table will have a chance to be a control Vault, just letting you know.
>>
File: 120.png (1 MB, 2416x4450) Image search: [Google]
120.png
1 MB, 2416x4450
>>
>>43047545
>Have you even fucking looked at the official list of vaults?
Don't get me wrong there are many of silly vaults in that list, but how many of those were actually referenced and used in games?

Like that Vault with just a guy and a crate of puppets. Damn thing must cost a good billion to build and I don't see the Enclave wasting that much money on a reddit joke
>>
>>43047588
>how many of those were actually referenced and used in games?

More of the ones involving wacky experiments or strange setups were used than control ones.
>>
>>43047515
Oh goddamit. I should have played that game.

Alternate Vault Idea
>The vault's basic functionalities, water purification, food production, air circulation, and even heat management are entirely insufficient and faulty. They are designed to ultimately fail in a hundred and fifty years from the vault closing. The vault door is on a timelock for 200 years. The vaults reactor is superior to the standard model and the vault is equipped with not only extensive machine shops but also highly advanced medical labs, autodocs, and an enormous hoard of cybernetic enhancements.

The test is to see how well the people can adapt their own bodies with cybernetics and augmentations as well as how much of their humanity they are willing to lose.

I imagine by 2277 the creatures that would come clanking out of the Vault barely look like humans anymore.
>>
>>43047611
well if I remember well there were "only" 17 control vaults. A good amount of other vaults had a social experiment but were otherwise still functionnal (vault 13, 15, 101) until they opened, so in the end you can still build an interesting Vault that is not just "hey guys what if we put 1000 serial killers in an underground bunker???!!". This is not a social experiment, this is just random madness. A social experiment would be something like a vault filled with asexual people and how that would influence their society when finally going topside
>>
>>43047660
A vault of techpriests?
>>
>>43047672
>so in the end you can still build an interesting Vault that is not just "hey guys what if we put 1000 serial killers in an underground bunker???!!"

No one is suggesting that. Be more creative.
>>
>>43047675
Pretty much. Except likely even more crude because some of the stuff they need to live aren't there so they have to make it themselves.
>>
>>43047693
>No one is suggesting that
Look at >>43047485
That is just wasting a billion to build an FPS arena excepted that the players won't even respawn once the map has been cleaned
>>
>>43047715
That wasn't meant to be taken seriously.
>>
>>43047724
okay you kinda have a point, maybe i just go to /v/ too much

Still I think people coming up with Vault ideas should think a bit more about -why- would the Enclave use their money to greenlight their experiment
>>
I laughed.
>>
>>43047715
>>43047740

I was thinking more along the lines of expanding on the Vault 19 idea of splitting people into to arbitrary groups by extending the factionalism to also include access to resources.

Engineers only get access to engineering areas and mechanical equipment, medical personnel only get access to the medical areas and medical supplies, etc.

I liked the idea of creating paranoia, but as I consider the setting, paranoia would breed pretty quickly in the event something failed or if resources became scarce.
>>
>>43047740
Because the world is going to end so money doesn't really matter.
>>
>>43047740
>>43047807

Also it's a gambit to potentially outlast/survive the apocalypse. Compared to the alternative, money is not a concern.
>>
>>43047807
Project Safehouse was commissioned by the U.S. government in 2054 and the end of the world happened 23 years later. They still needed the money to finish the oil rig and to stock it with the highest amount of weapons, medicines, workshops and skilled citizens

It's not like they were going "nah, the end of the world is next week, you can burn everything down George"
>>
>>43046989

>Alpha Complex
>paranoid central AI
>Color-coded security clearance
>bouncy bubble beverage
>lethal automated vacuum cleaners
>gommunist underground leaves incomprehensible posters all over the place

WORKER OF THE VAULT UNTIE!
YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT YOUR CHINS!
SMASH GABIDALISM!
>>
>>43047831
They probably should have spent some of that useless cash on making their president super-stimpak resistant.
>>
Surprised this pdf hasn't been posted yet
>>
>>43048127
Ah, that one. Anyone played it? I'm curious, but amount of math in things looks intimidating.
>>
>>43047055
Living in new orleans and day dreaming about fallout new orleans time to time I would love to find that thread. Do you know about how many days ago so I can search for it?
>>
>Vault 864
>Occupants: 100
>Residency quarters available for: 15
>Systems can support: 350.
>All occupants selected from white-collar occupations, no practical physical skills, and a psychological aversion to manual labor.
>The vault is built backing into an artificial cave complex that is 4' tall on average. Picks, shovels, and sledges for transporting rock are provided.
>the Door will open in 60 years.
>>
>>43047740
I guess the point was, experiments were kind of insane, but they wanted something useful out of those.
>>
>>43048387
Physical necessity will overcome psychological aversion.
I hope...
>>
>>43047025
there were 3 psychics in fallout 1, all were results of the Master's extensive experiments. All were rendered insane by the process. All of them died. Psykers are rare and rarely seen in the fallout universe, a vault full of them would make no sense.
>>
Nuka Vault:

Vault sponsored by Nuka-Cola, and is covered in sponsored advertising, and other fun stuff. All water dispensers are replaced with Nuka Cola distribution machines, which are restocked by an automated plant built seperately to the rest of the vault. Vault is set to open when Strontium (which gives Nuka Cola it's signature radioactive kick) has completely decayed or been consumed for Nuka Cola production. Supplied with an above average amount of medical facilities, including dental hygiene facilities.
>>
Vault 777

Vault built to see the effects of risk takers, excessive gambling, and the power of ascribed value. Plastic coins are assigned to each vault dweller which can be used on specialized gambling devices which grant more plastic coins which can then be exchanged for prizes like teddy bears. Over time this vault will hopefully shed light on what occurs to people with a psychically valueless currency in an enclosed environment.

>>43047740
>enclave
>money

>in post apoc wasteland where either people use bottlecaps, invent new paper money, or use fake roman coins

yup, I can see the enclave buying up everyone with their money. Maybe I suppose if all their money was gold. Then again given the extreme nature of Fallout I wouldnt be surprised if the US just sucked money off of taxpayers like a vampire or more or less pointed guns at people and say "give us all of these materials and computers" before the bombs fell.

plus in a morally questionable world, research knows no bounds. Look at the Prison Experiment from Stanford. Now crank that up to 10000.
>>
>>43050393
Kidney Stones

Kidney Stones everywhere.

Hell I'm pretty sure the human body couldnt survive solely on carbonated sugar drinks for hydration, but then again this is the 50s. Back then smoking was probably a good thing for your health
>>
>>43050425
Technically the 2077s with a 50s mentality.
>>
A vault populated with 90% obese people and 10% physically fit and attractive people.
>>
>>43050394
you don't actually know anything about the lore do you? The Enclave is called the enclave because they're an enclave, you know a community taking refuge from something. They existed prewar and funded all of the vault experiments as a test on the stresses that living in a generation ship would cause as no one though the nuclear war would actually happen.

and there are only 122 vaults.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault

>>43050425
The Great War occured in the late 2070s, a variety factors led to cultural stagnation leading to an apparent halt in the development of popular culture. Though underground movements like metal, grunge, hip hop and such things are assumed to occur judging from item descriptions and pop cultural references in game.

on top of that the absurd disregard fro human health that corporations had in prewar america is repeatedly referenced from the original Black Isle fallouts all the way through bethesda and obsidian's iterations so whether or not something is healthy is irrelevant. It boils down to whether or not someone with money thought it was a good idea.
>>
Vault has a standard number of occupants and is more than capable of supporting them for the duration of the experiment. The vault is smaller than others when first entered and the furnishings are sparse, even by Vault-Tec standards. The beds are little more than cots with thin sheets and flimsy pillows. Food dispensers spit out nourishing, but bland slop that smells like wet cardboard. The rec room has a few checker boards amd nothing else. However the air quality is impeccable, always at a comfortable temperature and with good flow.
>>
>>43050482
Curious about this vault is the staircase to the lower floor, guarded by military bots who scan every item on the person going up or down, a slight chill hits you as you descend, and there appears to be more room to move about and the chairs have a semblance of padding, the food becomes more like real food with exquisite taste, the further down you go the more lavish the furnishings become. It also becomes unbareably cold toward the bottom, with furniture more comfortable than a cloud, food made by the Mr. Handies would put the greatest gourmet chefs to shame, and books and recordings on almost every art and science known. However, attempts to move items up or down a level are met with quick, and lethal response. How far would you go for comfort?
>>
Families in this vault are arbitrarily assigned to social classes.

A few families are upper class, assigned white jumpsuits. Assigned to spacious living quarters full of luxuries and access to plentiful, quality food. Their introduction pamphlet states that they are the leaders and have the right to make decisions for the whole vault.

More families are assigned to be middle class. Blue suits, assigned to modest but comfortable living quarters.

Most people are assigned to be poor. Brown suits, assigned to shitty small living quarters with faulty equipment.

Nothing is done to enforce classes except the jumpsuits and room keys that are handed when people arrive in the vault. The aim is to see if people will accept the arbitrary roles they are given or will rebel.
>>
Totally ripping off Pandorum here, but bear with me.
>Vault 121
>population: 100
>all trained in cryogenics maintenance and repair
>90 inhabitants kept in stasis at all times
>the 10 awake keep the others maintained
>shift switches every year; the 10 go to sleep, another 10 wake up
To the people going into the vault, it seems logical. But the real purpose is to see how long it takes until one of the ten (or all of them) decide to seize power over the helpless 90, and what they do.
>>
>>43050569
naaah man you should go with Plato's Republic route.

Those who have, cannot rule. Those who rule, cannot have!
>>
>>43050425
>human body couldn't survive only on
Yeah. It can. Not healthy, but your body keeps on trucking.
Source: did so for about half a decade.
>>
>Vault 32
>Occupants: 999, 2:1 ratio of women:men, plus one male Overseer
>Vault is provided for as any given control Vault, save that all lights emit ultraviolet radiation, and genetic modification serums to allow for seeing ultraviolet light and prevention of cancer over long-term UV exposure are provided to the number of 333 syringes, with one additional syringe being provided to the Overseer directly
>Proposed experiment: How does a society change from Western standard when it is scientifically provable that some of their number are genetically superior to the majority? And how does a group of people who have effectively evolved to live in a particular lighting react when the Vault finally opens after a century?
>>
Vault is exclusively populated with 1st generation immigrants. Vault is decorated with american propaganda, including clothing, entertainment and furnishings. Test is to see how many generations before cultural influences of original occupants are eradicated.
>>
>>43050621
>Unknown to vault-tec, cryogenics specialists are more interested in pranking each other than in seizing power.
>The first year, the technicians woke up from cold sleep wearing silly hats, clutching bottles of nuka-cola and teddy bears, and, to one technicians great embarrassment, surrounded by pornography.
>Next year they were awoken in a classroom environment, and none of them were wearing pants.
>Then there was the noodle incident... the less said the better.
>Functionally, the cryo-techs have turned an intended power struggle into a rolling series of annual practical jokes.
>>
How about a vault that developed a synthetic neural symbiont that spams itself on any living creature for the purpose of survival? and when it takes over more and more stuff it essentially becomes a bigger and bigger hivemind for everything it takes over, becoming more powerful and intelligent.
>>
A vault were every person is trained to survive in the wasteland. You could even use the Fallout 4 promotion video's as material used in the vault.
>>
>>43047055
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/39523956/
He also home-brewed a system and made a setting for Wyoming.
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/39217944/
>>
>>43050482
>>43050568

I like it.
>>
>>43050818
Why the extra women?
>>
>>43052257
I would presume large likelihood of the gene drugs spreading through sex?
>>
Bumping with Vault from the Wyoming thread:

The Vaults: So far I have three Vaults for the Wyoming Wasteland.

Vault 44- Built slightly south of the pre-War city of Cody, Wyoming, Vault 44 was designed to serve as a jump-starter for American agriculture after the War. It was filled with an extensive library on farming techniques, ecological surveys, how to build and maintain farming equipment, and even pre-Industrial Age agricultural methodology. It was designed in conjunction with Vault 22 and had a laboratory designed to genetically modify certain plants to increase crop yields, although fortunately for its inhabitants, the experiments in Vault 44’s laboratory did not result in the mutating of its inhabitants. The Vault was, by all studies, a resounding success despite the fact that one GECK was never delivered and the other was missing key components and therefore did not work to its fullest capacity.

Fifty years ago, once the sensors indicated that it was safe to travel outside, the inhabitants of Vault 44 left the safety of the Vault and began preparing the land for farming and ranching. Local animals were tamed and crops were planted. Many people began traveling about, leaving the Vault behind to settle down and build their own homes. Now Vault 44 is home to the Farm Kings, a small group of farm, ranch, and plantation owners that have managed to control large tracts of land. The Farm Kings do not get along and are always trying to secure one another’s holdings for their own gain. Two years ago one of the Farm Kings stumbled upon a pre-War robotics factory and managed to get it up and running enough to build some Protectrons to keep his fields secure. Of course one of his rivals destroyed the factory, but not before making his own Protectrons. Now all of the Farm Kings use robots to bolster their human levies in their never-ending war to conquer all of the land.
>>
>>43046989
>Medievault
>it's the size of three vaults
>the Overseer's job js divided among three different overseers, and each of them have their own territory subdivided among lesser "nobles"
>each area controls some resources, but not all
>each citizen is assigned to one area and isn't allowed to leave it
>no weapons here, only post apocalyptic metalworking and scavenging
>vault opens after 116 years
>>
Vault 114- Situated along the northeastern Wyoming-Montana line is Vault 114, one of Vault-Tec’s many experimental Vaults. It was designed to see how violent criminals (male and female, with and without mental or emotional disorders) would react to being locked up in the Vault but otherwise free to roam about. The only human inhabitants were the inmates – the janitors, guards, and food servers were all robots. After six months, the entire system was rigged to open the gates to the cells, deactivate the robots, and let all hell break loose. The prisoners entered a brief, but incredibly violent civil war until order was restored as one cell block (the Great Cell Block D!) took command.

With a strong, autocratic government in place Vault 114 actually became quite prosperous. The inhabitants managed to begin an educational program, accessing the Vault’s holotape library, and learned how to reactivate the robots so as to ease the burdens of labor. Sixty six years ago the Vault doors opened, as the ZAX-AI installed to monitor the inmates and their descendants, was satisfied that the people within Vault 114 had been successfully rehabilitated. Unlike most of Vault 44’s inhabitants, the people of Vault 114 have largely remained around the Vault, venturing out only to find supplies they cannot manufacture on their own. Now Vault 114, called “the Fortress” by its inhabitants, is a self-contained, walled settlement. The occasional tribal bands or feral ghoul hordes out of Cheyenne or the east will crash against the walls of the Fortress, but the men and women calling it home always manage to repel them.
>>
>>43046989
>/fit/vault
>population: 50 pro bodybuilders, 50 chemists
>enough steroids and steroids making facilities to last for many dozens of generations
>two overseers who have lots of privileges. One is chosen via total lean bodymass, the other via academic (particularly chemical and biological) knowledge
>after 80 years the food reserves end
>residents are made to resort to cannibalism, making their ultimate proteic gains
>once only one resident remains the doors open
There can be only HUGE
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.