[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mono Red EDH
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: nygga.jpg (22 KB, 210x295) Image search: [Google]
nygga.jpg
22 KB, 210x295
Why does everyone think it's not viable? I've seen Krenko decks slaughter every deck he fights. Same with Kikki. Copy big ass dragons for the win. I've been thinking about making one and I'm asking for some pro and cons of mono red EDH.
>>
>>44694940
First of all, EDH is kinda retarded, but it's all right if you like it.

If you're playing with more than 1 opponent, mono-Red's biggest problem is that it can't draw cards. It gets a lot better if you're playing on teams, though.

Red's color pie is rather limited. Artifacts are your best friend. For instance, Red Decks typically have bad longevity because they're so offense-oriented. Slap a couple Equipment that grant Lifelink or whatever to fix this. Loxodon Warhammer is a favorite of mine for this.

Red Combo Decks can do well in chaos games too. Skirk Fire Marshall does 10 damage to each creature and player if you can tap 5 Goblins. Slap Loxodon Warhammer on it and suddenly your Life Total is higher than most Yu-gi-oh monsters. Another combo is to store a dangerous creature or two that oyu own like a Dragon or something inside Helvault. Then cast Jokulhaups. Jokulhaups destroys all Creatures, Artifacts, and Lands, so your dangerous creature has nothing to block it, and your opponents can't cast any spells to stop it since you killed all their mana production. Proceed to kill them at your leisure.

Remember, in Mon-Red, Artifacts are your best friend.

Just some ideas.
>>
>>44695418
Thanks for the input. I completely agree with the life gain and card draw part. Defs would have Loxodon, Basilisk collar, and I also like batterskull. No one expects red to shoot of in life. Another good combo I saw was pairing Phosphorus with Krenko and just shitting mass goblins at 2 a pop then attack with all.
>>
>>44694940
Because Kikki, Krenko, and Purphoros are the ONLY viable monored EDH decks, and those are all combo decks.
There's a distinct lack of variety in monored because your options are 'stupid combo' or 'roll over and die' due to a lack of longevity.
>>
>>44695614
Is there something wrong with comboing your opponent for 1200 damage?
>>
>>44695593
Batterskull is a good one! I forgot about that.
>>
>>44695992
Yeah. Little pricey but still. If I could get it onto a fury born hell kite after a bloodthirsty trigger, thats game.
>>
>>44695899
Some people want to play magic instead of jacking off for five minutes and ending the game, but other options just aren't viable
>>
>>44696037
Let's be real here. It'd take at least 10 minutes. Plus in a multi player scenario, everyone would see I'm setting up combos and gank me. In addition, a large portion of my deck consist of dragons that are harder to cast and combo to even out the odds a little.
>>
>>44695614
Sure, let's forget about Daretti, Ashling, Feldon, and Kurkesh.
>>
>>44696175
I must say I am largely putt off by those guys as commanders because they simply just aren't as good as the generic ones. I know edh is supposed to be non competitive but I still wanna win
>>
>>44696175
...people play Kurkesh?
...Kurkesh is a card?
I honestly forgot it existed, I've never seen anyone play it in any capacity
>>
>>44695614
>>44696175
My Heartless Hidetsugu deck has successfully suicide bombed an entire table plenty of times. Some lf us like to get dirty when we play.
>>
>>44696370
Nice. He seems like fun to use.
>>
>>44694940
been playing norin for a long time, most games with it "winning" are everyone giving up after warp world resolves for the 4th time in a game
>>
>>44696231
Kurkesh is a combo monster, Feldon is the Value Van, Ashling is cheap and effective, Daretti is fucking insane when built correctly.

>>44696262
Oh yes. I've seen it. I've seen him do insane shit with Strionic Resonator.

>>44696370
Ah yes, forgot to mention Heartless. Very solid and usually quick.
>>
>>44694940
People say that it's hard because life is doubled but the amount of burn is not. You can also run out of cards that burn.
But it can be done. My Purphoros deck is my best deck and my Daretti deck is pretty good too.
>>
>>44696842
Everyone also assumes if you're playing red your going for a win through lightning bolts and lava axes. I heard it is possible to win using creatures.... :o
>>
>>44696842
My krenko deck runs on milling and throwing goblins at people
>>
>>44696175
>>44696370
My Zada deck is also an offensive juggernaut, and from the looks of it will only get stronger with OGW. Playing monored is hardmode, but it's so worth it when you can pull it off.
>>
I have a Jaya/Latulla control deck I like bust out every now and then. It's heavy on mind control type cards, anti-blue and cards that either discouraged you from attacking me or makes you want to attack someone else.

It's very good against decks that either go wide or has strong creatures I find.
>>
>>44695614
Norin the Wary would like a word with you.
>>
mono red has really reall strong commander options and that's why it's viable in spite of red being the color most hurt by the rules changes between 60 card formats and edh

40 life hurts red, being based around card disadvantage as a resource hurts red, not being able to remove enchantments hurts red

But mono red is great because purphoros is an amazing commander, one of the most broken edh cards ever, and krenko can be good as well

Daretti is an artifact deck, but it utilizes the red well, and daretti himself has significant advantage as a commander for an artifact deck
>>
>>44697033
>Zada deck
Muh Gobba.
>>
>>44696456
He is.

>>44696756
Very quick. But the flame that burns brightest burns fastest.

>>44697033
Haven't seen a Zada deck in person yet. But I'm excited to see it one day.
>>
>>44695418
this, my buddy's Davreti, Scrap Asshole has torn me asunder quite a few times, admittedly I'm still stupidly new to the game and my Riku deck blows but still, artifacts + red = fuck you
>>
>>44698288
Zada was absolutely beautiful in my copy&steal EDH deck

>Field full of creatures, cast Rite of Replication kicked on Zada
>Now have 5 of everything (minus Zada) including 5 Ulamog's crushers because everyone loves Annihilator
>>
>>44700790
Nice. Who was your commander?
>>
>>44700853
Riku of Two Reflections. I really need to figure out what I want that deck to do, its split between throwing burn spells all over the place and spawning a bunch of assholes with effects, and it only really works doing one or the other
>>
>>44696842

Years of Dynasty Warriors still makes it so hard seeing Sun Quan being blue.
>>
Dude, I run a politics-based Diaochan deck with about 8 ways to give my things shroud and/or animate/deanimate my creatures into lands or artifacts or things.

Works wonders in a boardwipe - oh lookie, everyone else lost their shit, my Chimeric Mass still has 12 counters on it, my Manor Gargoyle was indestructible, and my Genju of the Spires is still a mountain. Swing for lethal.
>>
>>44694940
I run monored ping EDH with Kamahl as the commander. It's pretty good.

Pic and Gaunlet of Power are really the base of it, alongside Furnace of Rath and Dictate of Twin Gods.

Don't forget to bring your deathtouch and wither/infect equipments.
>>
File: Image (1).png (121 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).png
121 KB, 223x311
>>44694940
MONO RED, YOU SAY? LET ME CALL MY FRIEND.
>>
>>44702651
>using Iona in EDH
You're an asshole. No jokes here, you're just a douchebag.
>>
>>44697268
k chris
>>
>>44702651
what is all is dust/helm of possession/oblivion stone/nev's disk/erratic portal/tawnos's coffin
>>
>>44697367
Seriously, Norin is a badass, the only real person in the MTG universe
>>
>>44694940
I have never once heard this argument, it's always been mono white that gets shit on.

MonoR has wheels for draw, several decent removal spells esp. chaos warp, artifact interaction, and great combo generals like Kiki and purph. Who in their right mind who plays more than three other people thinks this?
>>
>>44702841
Baddie. L2monobrown
>>
Been having fun with Kumano

>oops your dude gets exiled

Heartstone and Illusionist's Bracers all day long.
>>
>>44695614
>>44694940
define 'viable'.
>>
>>44705182
Viable in EDH.
>>
>>44702651
Huh, I knew Scour from Existence was in my deck for a reason.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.