[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rougeliek thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: nethack-tee.jpg (38 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
nethack-tee.jpg
38 KB, 1024x1024
>start NetHack 3.6.0, be Archaeologist
>pet killed by a newt in the first room
>come across armory on dungeon level 2
>see a moderately-priced cloak, try it on
>cursed cloak of invisibility
>realize I can't pay for it
>sell off bullwhip and fedora, can't sell off jacket because it's trapped under my cloak
>try on the best-looking armor in the shop, find (among other things) jumping boots
>dig down
>fall into ANOTHER shop, this time a bookstore
>shopkeeper from the armory jumps in after me, I jump around, still invisible, picking up scrolls and reading them hoping for teleportation
>eventually get killed by the angry armor shopkeeper

What hilarious, painful deaths have you fallen victim to recently, /tg/? Did you deserve them?
>>
Got ripped to pieces by Mi-Go in C:DDA. Pretty much deserved it for not taking them seriously.

Not as fun as getting over 9000 Pain in the same game, though.
>>
File: zodar-nethack-620x350.png (312 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
zodar-nethack-620x350.png
312 KB, 620x350
Just lost another Archaeologist to some soldier ants in minetown. I knew magic missile but was unskilled in attack spells, with a failure rate a 65% -- pretty decent for a spell in a school you're unskilled at. I lined myself up to cast magic missile at the ants as they marched through an alley, but failed. I realized then that I did not have enough Pw to attempt another casting. I tried run away, but you know how fast those buggers are. I tried to throw a potion of sleeping in the head ant's face, only to get caught in my own fumes and get gnawed to death before I could wake up.

I'm really starting to feel the weight of the Elbereth nerfs.

Lessons learned:
>Before taking a dicey action, always consider the consequences of failure. If I had realized that I only had one chance to successfully cast magic missile, I might not have given the ants the chance to get me.
>Don't throw dangerous potions in melee range. (derp)
>>
:bumping:
>>
Fun names for characters?
I had a friend who named all his rangers "Antslayer".
>>
>>44699183
NetHack is based off AD&D.
>>
>>44694530
How do I into C:DDA? I've never survived long enough to get anything interesting done. Character creation is probably what I struggle with the most.
>>
>>44699965
Go for that skill or perk or whatever that lets you run fast.
Then, what, stack utility vests?
I haven't played DDA in ages
>>
>>44700037
git clone git://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA.git
>>
>>44699965
This advice is based off relatively recent Experimentals, so if you're playing Stable it'll be a little bit off.

Quick and Fleet of Foot (names by memory, but the two 3pters that give you added Speed and a faster run speed) are good training wheels. Also play with Static Spawn and turn off Skill Rust so you can focus on slowly improving while running for your life.

Some things about the starting shelter are not obvious. The basement typically has some survival gear. Go down and slowly sweep it in the dark. The lockers usually have some clothes, too. The windows can be smashed to get long strings (which are inherently useful and disassemble to short strings, then thread) and sheets (a bulk source of rags). If you fancy fighting, there are the resources to make a stone spear in the shelter and nearby. If you don't, you should be able to avoid Z just by, well - avoiding it!

Other pointers:
* Fire is your friend. Light things on fire, kite zombies into the fire, profit.
* Do not fear the night. So long as you don't do anything silly like wander around with a light source, the survivor is more capable in the dark than Z. Scout by day, go in and raid by night.
* Get yourself a shopping trolley or a wheelbarrow if you can, it hugely increases your early carrying capacity.

Beyond that, we're looking at problem-solving.
>>
>>44699965
>>44700581

Pick up the Nightvision perk. Being able to see out to two squares in the dead of night instead of only one allows you to avoid pretty much all confrontation until the sun rises. It also guarantees that you don't end up with a Hulk standing six inches in front of your face when you least expect it.
>>
>>44693755

there's a roguelike general on /vg/

just search in the catalog for /rlg/
>>
>>44701417
But that board is shit.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.