[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Introducing kids to Roleplay in School
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
So I'm a student from Germany who's aiming to be a teacher, but for that I have to gather some working experience even before finishing my studies and going into the test-year.
I picked a course about remedial courses because the professor there is a cool dude and when the available schools introduced themselves I got into the one school which isn't there to help the weak students but support the strong ones (so I'll be doing a course over 12 sessions, about 90 minutes each) by being a charming motherfucker.

Since I study Latin and English I thought I'd tell the teacher who's taking care of me there and organising shit about 2 concepts, the concept for Latin is basically just giving the kids a lot of knowledge about the roman republic and history in a fun way, the second concept is the one in which you come in.

I'll call it "Dice Stories" and it'll basically be creative writing with a catch, in this case certain elements being decided dice rolls, which also explains why I'm here.

I've been lurking /tg/ for like 2 years, only ever played one campaign of Rogue Trader which didn't last more than 3 sessions though, so I thought I'd ask the more experienced guys here.

There won't be any complicated rules, the kids are like 12 year old so it probably shouldn't get much further than 1-2 = bad, 3-4 = meh, 5-6 = good outcome.

Is there shit I should avoid? Does anybody have any experience with anything like that?

TLDNR: Future teacher introducing dice-assisted story telling to 12 year olds in what basically constitutes a creative writing class.
>>
>>44692231
Come on people, give me some input.
I thought I'd start the first session with an introduction, telling them a simple scenario and then suprising them with suddenly calling one out to make a roll, which would then dictate the outcome.
I wanna do some stuff with groups lateron as well, I'll have around 10-12 kids around I guess, so groups of 4 or 5 with one story teller and the kids doing some stuff with the characters.
Or maybe a chainstory in which the storyteller changes and the kids make suggestions? No idea

But I want to show them that dice make story telling more fun and potentially easier as they basically make many decisions for you, I know there's a lot to it and the randomness can fuck a story up a bit, but still.
>>
>>44692231
Not quite, but my first game was run by the vice principal of my school over the summer. Something you might want to consider is making it an extracurricular thing for after school, basically a club you host and are the teacher support for. That said, what grades does this school cover? Is it middle school (6-8), or higher? Does it have lower grade levels?
>>
>>44692397
>Something you might want to consider is making it an extracurricular thing for after school, basically a club you host and are the teacher support for.
That's exactly what it is my friend!

>That said, what grades does this school cover? Is it middle school (6-8), or higher? Does it have lower grade levels?
5-12/13
As I said, they'll be 12 year olds, so probably sixth graders, maybe some from a year above or below if not enough people can make it due to time constraints but I was told that that probably won't happen
>>
>>44692231
I'll keep replying to the thread and once I've made an early draft for the course I'll publish it here, gonna talk to the teacher lady about it tomorrow so if the thread still lives afterwards I'll be able to post the result
>>
>>44692451
Well, with a club you may get more of an age range over time, but...okay, here's an idea. Get some nice intro modules first to get them into the swing of things, maybe things you can loan out later if you get some kids wanting to try DMing at all. It lets you get a feel for the story your kids may want, and you could then make your own one shots from there. Also, there was one the Pathfinder Association ran that cursed people to turn into monkeys, so you could see what antics they might get up to. The campaign could grow from there. But keep them relatively short, since you could also potentially teach them a handful of systems if they are willing, give them a good taste of things. Maybe a project later could be that each makes their own dungeon or mini adventure?
>>
>>44692591
>Well, with a club you may get more of an age range over time, but...okay, here's an idea
As I said, it won't last long, I'm just doing it for my studies
Though they did offer me some money if I'd want to do it longer later, if I remember correctly
Probably won't do that though, I'm lazy

>Get some nice intro modules first to get them into the swing of things, maybe things you can loan out later if you get some kids wanting to try DMing at all. It lets you get a feel for the story your kids may want, and you could then make your own one shots from there.
I think I'll only really need dice though
lots of dice

As I specified above, I won't be straight up playing DnD with them, the focus will be on creative writing (don't think I'd get the permission otherwise)

>Maybe a project later could be that each makes their own dungeon or mini adventure?
I'd really like to reach the point where I can do that, but since I only have 12 sessions that might not be easy
>>
>>44692231

just roll Paranoia, anything cyberpunk or CoC
>>
12 year olds can handle fairly complicated systems. TSR marketed Basic D&D to the 10-12 age group and were selling millions of copies.

That said, if you're worried about The Man stopping you from teaching kids to practice witchcraft and worship Satan, it might be a good idea to peddle some avant-garde storygame stuff like FATE - at least until the kids are hooked.
>>
>>44693073
As I said, no systems will be involved, the story writing has to be in the foreground
I might change my mind if they pick it up really well, I wanted to write some very, very simple rules myself for the fourth or fifth session, maybe the third one to lead them through a simple "story"

Maybe a football game or something like that, I put them into two teams and I'll basically be the referee, gm, etc. for a first simple "session"
Something like that, I have a month or two before the stuff goes down so I only need rough ideas now
>>
>>44693275
I feel like that might be harder to work out compared to a traditional party-based fantasy adventure like typical D&D. Splitting your group into two teams sounds like courting disaster in the form of group infighting, unwanted PvP, and accusations against you of favoring one side over the other.
>>
>>44693568
>I feel like that might be harder to work out compared to a traditional party-based fantasy adventure like typical D&D. Splitting your group into two teams sounds like courting disaster in the form of group infighting, unwanted PvP, and accusations against you of favoring one side over the other.
I'll literally just say
>the ball passes to you
>wanna dribble, shoot or pass?
>"pass"
>roll shorty
>1
>you fail, the enemy has the ball now

Ya'll elegant gentlemen think in way too complicated terms here
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.