[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Frostgrave Friday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 19
File: Frostgrave.jpg (156 KB, 750x1011) Image search: [Google]
Frostgrave.jpg
156 KB, 750x1011
Resources
FAQ thread where you can ask to Joseph A. McCullough, Frostgrave designer (forum handle joe5mc)
http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=80477.0

Online warband creator
http://www.battletortoise.com/frostgrave/roster.html

Rulebook:
https://mega.co.nz/#!CVF3GTIS!i0V9IaACpjj1s1Bq2wqvZII5T5ad8UULZYWW3mpefc0

Warhammer Townscapes: old school Warhammer Fantasy print buildings
https://mega.co.nz/#F!OgpwzAKS!a5eVE6pOagTTOWEr5tEaEQ

Official Miniatures
20x Soldiers and a lot of bits
http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=7467

Wizard sheet
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx8Os21jzeXdkRYZlM5TjhRSDA/view?usp=sharing
spell cards
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx8Os21jzeXV3psZ0hOT1AwMEE/view?usp=sharing

Don't forget - you can use any miniatures from any manufacturer, regardless of their race - just make them obvious what they are.

"Required" scenery
>6x6 mausoleum
>6 special treasure token - 3 per player
>Various spooky skeletons
>A Genie
>10 inch+ high tower and enough broken wall sections to make a 12x12 ruined building
>Zone mortalis kind of board + 4 doorways
>6x statues
>1x giant worm
>6 small buildings without roof
>6 wraiths
>a well
>4x 2" diameter discs
>6 columns or ruined columns (or re-use the statues)

Topic of the thread:

En. Fucking. Joy.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/1e68645496dga//Frostgrave

Also, what cheap terrain have you found lately?

I've found a bucket of plastic elves and shit, same style as those traditional army men, with sandbags, a bridge, some rocks, and a gravestone.

Oh, and pillars.

Any cheap castles or the like around?
>>
Is this like Canadian Mordheim or something
>>
>>44661402
....That would be an apt description, yes. Only with less "Sorry" and more throwing fireballs.
>>
>>44661198
>En. Fucking. Joy.
Anon you glorious fucking bastard!

And honestly I'm looking at scratchbuilding stuff for my terrain right now. I have a bunch of those instant Ramen cups that are a pretty decent size for 28mm miniatures, they'll make some pretty cool towers.

There are probably a lot of toy sets in little kid's aisles when it comes to castles and such, and with a little imagination bottles of all kinds can become scenery as well.

>>44661402
Its a warband game a lot like Mordheim set ina frozen city where Wizards used to learn the secrets of the universe and stuff in before one of them ruined everything.

The cooler part of this game is that you can use miniatures from any manufacturer, there's no "right" miniatures for the job. If I can find it I'll post the warband that uses GW Orcs for the units listed.
>>
File: 1364931167849.jpg (115 KB, 721x1013) Image search: [Google]
1364931167849.jpg
115 KB, 721x1013
>>44661456
I spent three weeks begging. Got some money for Christmas, so, why not give back a bit?

Regarding the castles thing, I've scanned my local Target, Walmart, and Toys-R-Us so far. Might go further afield, or to thrift shops to take another look or two.

I'm gonna post a few pics for wizard inspirations, and then go crash.
>>
File: Mage M5.jpg (127 KB, 440x550) Image search: [Google]
Mage M5.jpg
127 KB, 440x550
>>44661497
>>
Has anyone thought about deconstructing soldiers and just allowing folks to build them, stat by stat?
>>
File: 1360027043784.jpg (93 KB, 967x1500) Image search: [Google]
1360027043784.jpg
93 KB, 967x1500
>>44661639
Whoops. Seems like I had done the "go crash" early, huh?
>>
File: 1363306233955.jpg (198 KB, 607x999) Image search: [Google]
1363306233955.jpg
198 KB, 607x999
>>44661650
Might be neat. The issue is, the diminishing returns that soldiers have, and the various armors and stuff.

From what I hear, we're getting something like that, in about two weeks.

>>44661652
>>
File: 1370523486668.jpg (118 KB, 1024x809) Image search: [Google]
1370523486668.jpg
118 KB, 1024x809
>>44661714
>>
File: 1365430093821.jpg (233 KB, 1200x906) Image search: [Google]
1365430093821.jpg
233 KB, 1200x906
>>44661729
>>
Anyone here playing Frostgrave in Gothenburg?
>>
File: Homebrew Soldiers.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Homebrew Soldiers.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44661714
Cool. :)

I whipped up a little thing before I saw your post. My approximations aren't perfect and I wiggled some of the stats around...

I really want to homebrew a bunch of special rules. Not go W40k crazy but I can imagine a bunch of neat stuff already.
>>
oh man i forgot about this game i should prepare some wizards and shit.
>>
>>44661198
>Any cheap castles or the like around?
you may be able to find something in the mlp section of your local toy store

would probably need to be repainted though on the other hand fucking wizards a bright multicolored castle isent that out of the question.
>>
>>44663158
That seems... Unacceptable to me.
>>
>>44664038
depends on the tone of your game i guess
>>
>>44661198
I really wish the book stressed the importance of a cluttered board more.

IMO the game is brilliant if you have fucktons of tall buildings, narrow alleys and walkways etc, so that you can actually sneak around and have to reposition yourself to control alleys and buildings etc.

If you play it with the amount of scenery that I see in most battlereports the game just turns into the team with the most offensive wizard and the most ranged guys bullying the other team, and it's way too easy to focus on tabling the other guy than to grab loot and run.

When you go by the books in passing recommendation of "only a few places with more than a foot of vision" the game is way, way more fun.

Also, way better to play with 3 or 4 players on the table than with 2 because the fear of someone hiding until the other guys are dead and making off with the treasure keeps the game way brainier and less deathmatch.
>>
File: catalogue_WALACHIA.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
catalogue_WALACHIA.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44661198
I might have just the thing.
>>
Do you guys think big crystals and stuff just put down on the board would look goofy?

Giant crystals boulders as remnants of the magical bullshit that destroyed the city seems possible and I have a few already.

>>44664038
Some guy on the forum made a Frozen, a Tangled and a MLP warband for his girls to get them into wargames.
>>
http://www.ehow.com/how_4731180_make-styrofoam-pyramid.html

This looks like it could be good. Might need to be altered to have steps wide enough for a 25mm base though.
>>
File: IMG_1498.jpg (254 KB, 1224x615) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1498.jpg
254 KB, 1224x615
Yo, motherfuckers, post ya warbands.
>>
>>44669389

Someone backed a Bones kickstarter...
>>
>>44661198

I got you senpai:

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_171050908599_-1
>>
>>44669880
Just ordered that. Thanks.

That sale is great, given I've seen 'em on ebay for like $60...
>>
File: Wizard2reduced.jpg (61 KB, 720x593) Image search: [Google]
Wizard2reduced.jpg
61 KB, 720x593
>>44661198
I've been looking into this game and already have the wizards i want to use but i've run into a scale issue. Where can i get miniatures that fit with the scale of pic related that won't cost me a arm and a leg.
>>
>>44672091
The basic frostgrave stuff is in line with the older warhammer stuff.
>>
>>44672091
You could always just buy the Frostgrave Soldiers box.
>>
File: CopperStatues.png (391 KB, 646x364) Image search: [Google]
CopperStatues.png
391 KB, 646x364
Bumping with some cheap ideas for terrain and things to spruce up your adventures in FrostGrave.
I found a package of kiddie toys in the impulse aisle - 3 bucks for about a dozen cheap plastic figures such as shown.
I gave them a few layers of copper color, then added light green to give them a corroded copper look to them - they should make some nice features to dot about the city
(or perhaps monster generators - when a 'construct' roll comes up, just have one of them animate as they sense the conflict and magic around them rather than start on the table edge).
>>
>>44672260
>>44672297
are you guys sure? Looking at battle reports it looks like frostgraves units are a bit skinnier and more in line with reapers measurements.
>>
File: BirdHousinIt.png (349 KB, 646x364) Image search: [Google]
BirdHousinIt.png
349 KB, 646x364
>>44673626

An art store can be a good source of items to turn into terrain. Here's a bird house made of cheap white pine wood - and a conversion I'm making out of another of the same type.
They will probably be the easiest conversions you'll ever make - rather than building it, I just tore and sawed peices off of it. Still in progress - it will need some more touches to look nice, but I'm not looking to make award-winning terrain peices. I just want to make some good looking scenery that I can game on.
>>
>>44673923
Hm. Might not be a bad idea, if it's cheap enough.

Right now, I'm kinda working on a board for Frostgraving on. Four 1.5x1.5 squares, that I'll stick together .

Not having much luck with a time to prime number two, though, and I sorta....Shifted style, as well.
>>
This is going to be the game the makes me paint my tir-na-bor models.
>>
File: BirdHousinIt2.png (385 KB, 646x364) Image search: [Google]
BirdHousinIt2.png
385 KB, 646x364
>>44675057
These bird houses run 4.99 at the store I am getting them from - the soft pine ones are much easier to carve and cut than the hard wood ones I'm finding out.
This was once a small square 'keep' type birdhouse, although I broke it up into 4 peices (the two larger ones shown here), the whole thing also costing 4.99. Just buying more bird houses like this should allow me to fill a 3x3 foot board up rather well with city-type terrain - which is what the rules seem to imply you do (and heck, why not if you can).
Next FrostGrave Friday I should have much of the terrain properly completed (it still needs flocking and suchnot), but the initial drybrushing is looking promising.
>>
>>44672091
You could also check out the Reaper 'Bones' line (it's what I picked up for my own warband). The prices are reasonable, but you pay for it with a lack of modibility - not a large problem however with a small warband game, you should be able to find enough figures of the same style that will fit the bill.
>>
I need to finish 2 warbands and a lot of scenery to make some introducción games
>>44667025
This will be very handy thanks
>>44667826
Do have any pics?
>>44673774q
That because GW stuff has some weird proportions .. Heroic scale and stuf
>>44673626
I'm using some old beastmen for similar reasons
>>
>>44676158
This are the beastmen for statues
>>
>>44675057
Correction on the priming of the second quarter. I've got it done, due to the weather finally being acceptable tonight.

I'll post a pic when the whole board is done, I suppose. Not gonna be much to look at, though.
>>
>>44667826
>Some guy on the forum made a Frozen, a Tangled and a MLP warband for his girls to get them into wargames.
oh my god thats awesome.
>>
>cultists are apparently out
>no mention in op
>>
>>44678646
Whoops. I'll edit that in the master file.
>>
>>44662270
You know the Pack Mule from TotLL isn't an animal, right? Think Nodwick.
>>
>>44661198
>>44663158
>>44664038
>>44664262
If you are russian by any chance google Tehnolog and their scenery kits.
They are modular 'not 40k or fatasy' thingies.
>>
>>44667826
>Some guy on the forum made a Frozen, a Tangled and a MLP warband for his girls to get them into wargames.
Pics?
>>
Welp, thread is as dead as frostgrave
>>
>>44681705
Thanks for the bump. I'll do what I can for my stuff tomorrow, but, well, I'm gonna be out playing cards all day. I might be able to get the first coat on the second part of my board tomorrow night...
>>
>>44681705
not much to discuss, the rules are too simple to get tangled up and creativity is more the rule here.
>>44680435
Any idea what U.S stores may still have frostgrave miniature. all my usual haunts are out of stock
>>
Hey guys this game does look interesting, my brother and I were intrigued. But one of the things that is kindof a deal breaker for us is the fact that it's all humans. He has orcs minis and I have dwarfs. I get you can use any minis just be clear what they are, but it doesnt seem right that a dwarf knight has the exact same stats as an orc knight. Do you know if they plan on adding race types to the henchmen, or has anyone homebrewed something like that?
>>
>>44682447
Imo it's one of the game's strengths.
All the shit that crops up when you use asymmetrical lists is impossible to use.
That aside you already have the flavor and asymmetry in the wizard's spells.
Just the basic rules already have 80 spells, the expansion adds at least one other school of magic haven't gotten round to reading it yet.
If you want Warbands where the individual members are important check out Mordheim. That's a game that has different stat lines and skills for different races.
In Frostgrave they would really not add much imo.
That aside you can make it a point to only use well armored mooks or something like that when playing dwarves for example.
The rulebook itself explicitly encourages homebrewing.

Adding specific races to FG goes kind against what it is supposed to be. The sole focus of the game and the warbands themselves is on the wizards.
And it's a beautifully sleek and simple game. Different statlines for races would just be clutter imo and i don't see what it would add from a mechanical pov considering you can just pick the soldier archetypes that would fit your fantasy creatures.
>>
>>44682447
Nope, not that we know of.

Personally, if i HAD to do it, I'd pick a relevant stat for each, to increase and decrease. So, dwarves would get +2 or 3 HP and -Mov.

Orcs could go for +1 Fight, -1 Armor, or something

I don't really see a reason to do it, though.
Also, how would /tg/ like to write up some scenarios, sometime?

Maybe next week, or something
>>
>>44682925
>and -Mov.
Considering the entire game is basically about getting to the objectives first and running off with them that would pretty much cripple the team you inflict that upon.

Just applying WHFB stat1:1 is not gonna work.
>>
>>44682839
I guess that's true. It makes sense enough at least. I do like the different types of wizards and variety of mooks. We will most likely be giving this a shot.

Using traditional dwarf stereotyping, I think an Enchanter fits the dwarf the most, with inscribing and imbuing objects with runes, symbol of tools etc.

What about orcs? What do you guys think would fit an orc wizard the most? We are thinking the warhammer style orc. Just curious what you guys might think.

>>44682925
The stats are pretty tight, I was thinking maybe a passive or active once per game ability that all of the races get, so in that style, the race has a slight advantage over others.
>>
>>44682996
Recent editions of WFB Orc Shaman tend to look like evokers (funny shaped area effects) and buffers (extra movement and/or attack). Should be fairly simple to match that to the spell list and thus a School.
>>
>>44681705
Well that is the funny thing, its like KoW. Lots of talk online in other places and lots of people playing it IRL but it does not get discussed much here.

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=82932.0

This thread has the guy doing warbands for his daughters.
>>
>>44684911
Awesome
>>
>>44682447
That sounds like a fine idea - some scenarios would give us something to discuss (or crab about) and keep the thread a bit more active.
>>
>>44682996
One way you could make 'racials' is to build your warband around what you'd consider would play to the strengths (and weaknesses) of the race you wish to represent.
In your case, lets look at dwarves and orcs.
Dwarves tend to be expensive, heavily armored troops. In this case, don't buy cheap troops (thugs and suchnot), and try to buy a lot of heavily armored types (such as Templars and Knights) or crossbowmen (whose reload rule limits their mobility). Don't pick up to your maximum warband size to keep the unit small (and keep that dwarven elite feeling. Base should be a brewery
Enchanter would be a great wizard for dwarven warbands. Don't select spells that fall outside your theme just because they look more useful!
For orcs, loads of cheap troops with low armor (thugs aplenty!) and barbarians for your heavy hitters. Don't pick troops with mail. Maybe a couple of war pigs (dogs) to round them out.
The Wizard might be a soothsayer (shaman type) or perhaps witch focused on animals and brewing potions. Once again, don't learn spells based outside your theme!
That might give you the 'dwarf vs orcs' feel you are looking for in your battles.
>>
>>44687355
Don't forget the obligatory halfing thief for the Dwarves.
>>
>>44687264
Indeed

I might get some ideas ready
>>
How do you guys base your minis?
I don't mean round vs square or bevel vs lip, I mean what kind of themes do you go for if you do models specifically for Frostgrave.
Dirt and Snow seems a little lazy, I haven't really been able to find good ruin bases or something that I was 100% happy with.

>pic related is the closest to what I imagine would be 'Felstad' minus the snow obviously.
>>
>>44687264
>>44687799
I'll bat around a few while I'm out gaming. We probably should consider if they're just scenarios, and if they'll need special terrain or not.
>>
Do you guys think this warband would work.

Dwarven Templar
Human Knight
Elven Ranger
Human Ranger
Four Halfing Thieves

Found some good models to use for it.
>>
>>44689713
If this is a starting warband, you're not gonna have enough gold for an apprentice.
>>
>>44689750
is an apprentice really necessary
>>
>>44690551
It's a second model capable of casting spells and the only way that you can get two spell casting models in a warband. So, yeah, apprentices can be a bit of a big deal.
>>
File: gw-99811499005.jpg (100 KB, 920x950) Image search: [Google]
gw-99811499005.jpg
100 KB, 920x950
>>44689750
Anon I think my joke may have been too subtle.
>>
>>44689713
>Thieves

Have you been talking to farmer Maggot?

He can't prove anything.
>>
>>44667826
>Do you guys think big crystals and stuff just put down on the board would look goofy?
Never not crystals.

No, I'm not Doctor Dinosaur, why do you ask?

>Frozen
Pretty sure there are two miniatures out there labelled as Elementalists and usually painted red in a subtle attempt to distract the Mouse from seeing that they're blatantly Anna & Elsa.

>>44682839
Easiest way is to restrict soldier types. Dwarves can't have X, which the orcs have as a goblin or something. Orcs can't have Y, which is a super-disciplined dwarf in super-heavy armour or whatever. Or they can, just hire a human merc.

>>44688877
>How do you guys base your minis?
25mm round clear. It's a pain in the arse when half your minis have integral bases, and a lot of people don't like the effect, but it works for me. Currently using a cheap bunch of clear bases from renedra.

>>44669880
Local Debenhams had at least a dozen in stock. I somehow only bought two. Probably going to sacrifice a few wall segments to make broken walls.

I also was in the LGS recently and bought a few of the monopose Sigmarines GW stuck on a white dwarf when they first came out to use as statues, because... they're stupid and dumb and I couldn't not, for 50p each? These fucking miniatures are appalling. I figured they were single-pose, at least they'd be snap-fit or something? Nope. And some tiny fucking parts. Jesus Christ GW.
>>
>>44691939
Yeah he used those two as the Wizard and Apprentice.

And how well does the scale on those castles match up?
>>
File: Ruins1.jpg (806 KB, 1199x1280) Image search: [Google]
Ruins1.jpg
806 KB, 1199x1280
>>44661198
I picked up a couple of the Fat Dragon Games printable building sets while they were on sale a couple of weeks ago, only built two so far, this is one from the ruins set. It came out pretty good I think, super easy to assemble, neat thing about these is that you can opt to build it in such a way that it will fold flat for storage and transport. The idea of keeping all of my terrain in a binder is kinda cool. The other neat thing about these models is that you can customize what type of weather you want them to have, this was just a test model, the next one I print will have the snow layer for Frostgrave.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.