[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you run a True Detective S1 campaign?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: FB_IMG_1451939331335.jpg (39 KB, 414x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1451939331335.jpg
39 KB, 414x960
How would you run a True Detective S1 campaign?
>>
D20 modern but the real key is to have very dedicated role players who make flawed and eccentric but believable characters and a DM willing and capable of writing and directing a mystery adventure without the players getting lost or going completely off the rails.

Basically getting it right is a perfect storm of writing and acting and there was no what they would get lightening to strike twice with a second season.
>>
Something like this would be so freaking cool
>>
>>44637050
Simple. Start it out with everything very normal and gritty
>use some mundane rpg system (no magic i mean)
>Players are cops/reporters/feds/etc... chasing crazy serial killer.
>Shit is fucked up.
>There are references to a wider and wider conspiracy protecting killer.
>arc words happen.
>keep up for roughly 3 sessions
>end of third session is showdown with killer
>why are there 2 moons?
>was that lake there before?
>Gendo fingers
>this is where the Trail of Cthulhu Character sheets are handed out
> Real campaign begins.
>>
>>44637050
CoC.
Ahahhaaha no, just kidding.
>>
InSpectres hack.
>>
>>44637050
World of Darkness: God Machine Chronicles. The pamphlet for that is all you need.

>>44637183
D20modern is absolutely terrible for this.
>>
>>44639613
>>44640493
Please elaborate?
>>
>>44637183
>D20 modern
NO! BAD DOG! STOP PISSING IN THE FRUIT PUNCH!
>>
>>44640918
>>44640493
C'mon, d20 Modern isn't that bad
>>
>>44640806
I've never played Call of Cthulhu so I can't say whether or not there's a good modern supplement for it, but I was in a God Machine Chronicles game that played like True Detective. The way God Machine Chronicles handles character sanity is pretty fun. The rules are also pretty easy to learn.

I forget to mention this earlier, but alternatively you could use Gumshoe, since, you know, Gumshoe is actually made specifically for playing detectives.
>>
>>44641540
How does the God Machine Chronicles work?
>>
>>44642112
Same as any other WoD game, but with some trimmed down rules I guess? You can read the pdf here, it's not that long: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/114078/World-of-Darkness-GodMachine-Rules-Update
>>
>>44642261
Cool, thanks heaps
>>
>>44641236

It is that bad, stop trying to lie to everyone.

It is not nice.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.