[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Into the Deep: A quest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 9
File: 1399005895754.jpg (225 KB, 900x940) Image search: [Google]
1399005895754.jpg
225 KB, 900x940
You lived in a town all your life. It was peaceful, the empire having just subjugated some rebels to the north decades ago and it was a good year for crops. Rumors of dragons awaking came about two weeks ago, but you didn't care. Who believed in dragons anyway? Well until an army unit came along.

The rumors were true, as an officer had explained. The world was made by dragons eons ago, the first two being Creation and Destruction. They bore children, and made creatures to populate their canvas. However, the creatures they made were never truly intelligent. Until a spawn of dragon sacrificed his scales to enlighten humanity and in his last years before being hunted down by his brethren, taught humanity dragon slaying. As it turns out, the only known surviving anti-dragon weaponry stays within a city buried in ash centuries ago, now almost certainly guarded by dragons. And so the army came, and you were conscripted into service to uncover it.

But first, who are you?

[] Name
[] Gender
[] Background
[] Weapon/Favored Magic School

3 votes to pass
>>
>>36969067
Name: Marisa Mellifleur
Background: Half-dragon born from a hilarious misunderstanding.
Weapon: Claws/bite
Favored Magic School: EYE OF THE DRAGON (divination)
>>
>>36969088
>hilarious
sure
>>
>>36969067
>[] Name
Flash Gunray
>[] Gender
Male
>[] Background
Enchanter's apprentice
>[] Weapon/Favored Magic School
Lightning based wands
>>
>>36969153
Well that's what I get for trying to pull image names from memory.
>>
>>36969088
>>36969067
Okay
>>
>>36969088
>>36969153
>>36969164

Well technically, you were "born" in the town of Lanseer. By born, you meant experimented on as a child in a project attempting to create humanity's own dragons. And by raised, you meant kept locked up for a decade. The blood of an ancient dragon replaced yours when you were a child, your soul irreversibly marked as dragon spawn.

> writing
>>
>>36969088
I think you just derailed a quest with the first reply.
Good work.
>>
>>36969247
>>36969284
Being Raiden the half-dragon could be fun, who knows.
>>
>>36969326
Oh, sure.
I didn't mean >>36969284 to imply that this was a bad thing, just an interesting one.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this quest goes.
>>
>>36969088
>divination
We will at least have some combat magic though right? At least some physical reinforcement/strengthening/buffs, I mean divination is fun but combat is a lot more fun if we have magic.
Could fluff it with divination coming from the blood of a timedragon and give us time powers for combat, like speding/slowing things down or shortrange teleport/jump.az
>>
File: 1403220675353.jpg (201 KB, 604x1000) Image search: [Google]
1403220675353.jpg
201 KB, 604x1000
You were kept in a house, well, more specifically a room. The guards outside never allowed you out of your room, although you did talk to them sometimes on rare occasions when you knew the asshole guards wouldn't be there. And ever rarer were the times when they actually responded. Eventually you:

[] Become friends with one or two guards, who let you roam around the house when no one else would be around for the day
[] Couldn't stand it any longer and bust out of your room. It worked, for 5 minutes
[] Negotiated a deal with the guards. You taught them basic magic spells in exchange for items and the opportunity to get out of the house at night.

Your first time out of the house was boring, you imagined the outside to have changed since you last saw it but nope, still the same old. You were moved to a carriage immediately outside the door, and were given a cloak to hide your features.

"Okay Marisa, It's arranged for you to go along with the recruits as a separate unit that tagged along alright. When asked about it, you're a foreign sorcerer hired by the mayor as a contribution to the effort to take the city. Never reveal your claws and don't speak to anyone. I'll handle the rest from here. After we reach the site, you're going to detach from the main unit and do your thing inside. Do you have any other questions?"

[] Write in?

( Really sorry for the delay, had IRL stuff crop up)
>>
>>36969367
I was actually thinking along the lines of a (lesser) Mystic Eyes of Death Perception sort of deal, where we can see exactly where to place strikes.
>>
>>36969375
>[X] Become friends with one or two guards, who let you roam around the house when no one else would be around for the day

Gotta make friends early on.

>[X] Write in?

"What about the tail? And the horns? Am I supposed to just wear a hood and tuck the tail into my skirt?"

"And will you be fine without me?"
>>
>>36969375
>[] Negotiated a deal with the guards. You taught them basic magic spells in exchange for items and the opportunity to get out of the house at night.
>>36969404
We're humanoid you know
>>
>>36969420
OP never told us what we looked like.
>>
>>36969375
>[] Become friends with one or two guards, who let you roam around the house when no one else would be around for the day
>[] Negotiated a deal with the guards. You taught them basic magic spells in exchange for items and the opportunity to get out of the house at night.

No questions.

What do we look like though? That's more of a meta question though
>>
>>36969367
Honestly, I think divination+dragonclaws sounds like an awesome combo.
Not that I'd say no to other magic.

>>36969375
>Become friends with one or two guards, who let you roam around the house when no one else would be around for the day
This

>Write in?
"What are we supposed to be doing in there?"
>>
>>36969375
>[] Become friends with one or two guards, who let you roam around the house when no one else would be around for the day
Can this be just a business deal, we don't act annoying while they're here and in return they let us out, with some of their pity for us making the deal work?
>>
>>36969422
>>36969430
Just how prominent our draconic features are is an important question.
>>
>>36969404
>>36969420
>>36969422
>>36969430

(Sorry, this is my first quest if you couldn't already tell)

. You currently have considerably large claws in place of your fingers and smaller claws for toes. You have a tail that you can mostly hide away, but the bony spikes that have started growing on the tip of your tail are quite worrying. Due to the lack of exercise, your wings are underdeveloped, although that might change in the future. Your teeth are also considerably sharper than most and you might be able to crush small objects with your mouth.

> Writing
>>
>>36969422
Not that anon, but I assume the pic OP posted is supposed to be our MC.
Although I'd like at least some optional at-will dragon traits like claws or maybe tail or wings at much higher levels.
the artificial claws seem stupid considering the vote that decided on it included bite, anon probs meant real claws, which I'd be fine with only coming out when we want it, otherwise we look fully human.
Maybe some scales on our body normally that clothes can easily cover, and they expand more and more as we take on more draconic traits, like coverig a tiny bit more when using our eye ability I guess?
>>
>>36969473
Ah, so our dragonhood is always obviousthen, ok, makes thins more difficult that way, I think >>36969486 could've been fun as well, but whatever, we'll have to work with disguises in that case.
>>
>>36969486
I assume OP meant that the claws are retractable like Wolverine's.
>>
>>36969473
So we're just barely disguiseable and need to wear robes etc? Alright.
>>
[] Become friends with one or two guards, who let you roam around the house when no one else would be around for the day

> George, Captain of the Guard <

>>36969404

"I still have these you know?" You say as you point to your horns

"Well, your horns are really just nubs at this point, so you can pass it of as a birth defect or something."

"Well yeah that'll work but fuck you, who gets two pre-horns as a birth defect?"

"Well, I do know a guy... nah. You're from a foreign land, that's fine."

"So, the tail?"

"You got a robe, it should work if you just keep it relaxed."

"So do I just go in, kill stuff or what?"

(1/???)

>>36969486
To clarify, your draconic features are not artificial, I just have a pretty small art folder. I'll add in at will abilities in the future.
>>
>>36969531
Can we decide the more human parts of our body, or do you have that covered?
>>
>>36969531
>"Well yeah that'll work but fuck you, who gets two pre-horns as a birth defect?"

We should apologize immediately for the foul language.

We should be polite and proper, like a professional soldier.
>>
>>36969544

Let's just use >>36969471 for a reference pic. It's close enough.
>>
>>36969592
Nnnaaaah
>>
>>36969599
Then the pic OP posted in >>36969375, only with minor draconic features?
>>
I'm good with >>36969471 as a reference.
>>
>>36969611
I'm not. Lets make the character a bit more
>>
George retrieves a map from his pack, before unrolling it and holding it out for you.

"From what our scholars can tell us, the buried city as it has come to be known is actually pretty vertical in layout. The ash has the city buried up to it's highest towers so we can access the city from there, although we expect it to be guarded as fuck by minions."

"I thought dragons were going to be there?"

"Yeah, give me a minute to explain. The dragons are under the surface, probably came in through an underwater entrance or so, the weapons cache is in the king's hall, which is quite deep. We're bringing you in to clear the way first."

"Great, so I'm the cannon fodder huh?"

>>36969442

"Pretty much, I can work out a deal with the higher ups and get back to you."

"Oh, and sorry if I was rude before."

"Hah, don't worry about it, I've heard worse from my men."

(2/3)

>>36969544

Got that covered, the only draconic parts of you are your hands, feet, head (horns), wings and tail.

Abilities coming up next
>>
>>36969531
Small advice, OP, write your post out in full in a text file or somehing, so you can just copypastelavblp into the 4chan reply box oce you're done and post it almost at once. Youcan do those specific replies to questions OOC in separate posts even while writing.
>>
>>36969622
>Let's conscript a half-dragoon who hates us to go fetch dragon-slaying gear to save us.
Whoever decided to send you in there is either a massive idiot or playing at something.

Keep your eyes and ears peeled. You don't want to get caught by surprise if/when shit hits the fan.
>>
By the time you're done with your conversation, the carriage has caught up with the main body of troops. Towards the rear of the column are probably the recruits, based on their leather armor and spears. Further up are the caravans, with mounted cavalry flanking them. Ahead of them are the soldiers already trained and leading them are the magi and commander of this unit.

"Well, this is my stop. Stay safe." George says as he passes you a separate pack.

George motions for the carriage to stop, before departing to move to the front of the column while your carriage stays near the rear. Now that you've time for yourself, you check the pack, finding the normal essentials needed to survive, as well as:

[] A first aid kit
[] Basics of Evocation: A beginners manual on offensive spells
[] Mail armor (Can be fit under robes)

Apart from that, you look back at your skills. You were never allowed to practice anything within your room unless one of the friendly guards was around. However through out the years, you've found that you had developed

Choose two:

[] Claws that are sharp enough to slice through metal if you gripped hard enough
[] Glands that can emit acid through your mouth
[] Particularly strong jaws, you could probably crush metal with it if you tried
[] A strong tail, it would be painful if used correctly
[] Read Foe: Through careful observation, you are able to sense what abilities a foe might use
[] Draconic fire: By concentrating mana through your claws, you're able to generate flames far hotter than normal
>>
>>36969754
>[] Basics of Evocation: A beginners manual on offensive spells
>[] Read Foe: Through careful observation, you are able to sense what abilities a foe might use
>>
>>36969754
>[X] Basics of Evocation: A beginners manual on offensive spells

>[X] A strong tail, it would be painful if used correctly
>[X] Claws that are sharp enough to slice through metal if you gripped hard enough

..How do you use a FAK properly with claws?
>>
>>36969754
>[] Read Foe: Through careful observation, you are able to sense what abilities a foe might use
>[] Particularly strong jaws, you could probably crush metal with it if you tried
>>
>>36969765
Very carefully
>>
>>36969754
>[X] Basics of Evocation: A beginners manual on offensive spells

Gotta blast like a boss.

>[] Draconic fire: By concentrating mana through your claws, you're able to generate flames far hotter than normal

Pick out a weak point (maybe even an elemental weakness!) and then go to town with dragonflame-empowered evocations.
>>
>>36969754
>[] Read Foe: Through careful observation you are able to sense what abilities a foe might use
>[] Particularly strong jaws, you could probably crush metal with it if you tried
>>
>>36969754
>[] Mail armor (Can be fit under robes)
>[] Draconic fire: By concentrating mana through your claws, you're able to generate flames far hotter than normal
>>
>>36969754
>[] Read Foe: Through careful observation you, are able to sense what abilities a foe might use
>>
>>36969771
Can we choose our appearance then, or?
>>
>>36969754
[X] Basics of Evocation: A beginners manual on offensive spells

[X] Read Foe: Through careful observation, you are able to sense what abilities a foe might use
[X] Draconic fire: By concentrating mana through your claws, you're able to generate flames far hotter than normal
>>
>>36969754
>Basics of Evocation
>Claws that are sharp enough to slice through metal
>Read Foe
>>
>>36969754
>[] Read Foe: Through careful observation you, are able to sense what abilities a foe might use
>[] Particularly strong jaws you could probably crush metal with it if you tried
>>
>>36969771
>>36969754
See: >>36969798
>>
>>36969815
>>36969798
I'll second those guys
>>
10 votes, 9 unique IPs.

Great start.
>>
>>36969815

Responding to this first before finishing the vote counting.

Yeah sure, as long as you can come to a consensus I don't mind.
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 641x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 641x900
>>36969825
I'd personally like a rather curvy form. Pic related
>>
>>36969840
I quite like the image that was posted earlier: >>36969471
>>
>>36969825
>>36969840
I can agree with that anon on the general frame.

Perhaps some long red hair or something too? Generally disorganised for the style, straight.
>>
>>36969840
>>36969853
>>36969856
Well the girl in the pic has long red hair, I'd prefer the curviness of the other girl with the white hair though.

So white girl's curves with red girl's hair?
>>
>>36969825
This is pretty good >>36969471
>>
File: image.jpg (168 KB, 800x1131) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168 KB, 800x1131
>>36969885
>>36969856
Like so?
>>
Abilities gained:

> Read Foe
> Dragon's Jaws

You pick up the book that was in the pack, Basics of Evocation: A beginners manual on offensive spells, and begin reading though it. The first chapter explains how mana is kept in the casters body, with it replenishing at a rate depending on the caster's heritage. The second chapter is broken up into three separate sub-chapters, each containing it's own spell. The three spells are generally regarded as the most basic of spells a magi could learn.

Choose one:

[] Emit force: While it is magic at it's simplest, using mana to emit a force in a direction, a skilled mage could use this to deadly effect. A beginner might be able to emit the equivalent of a punch, An expert could call upon the force of a charging bull

[] Ethereal chains: Solidified mana, it is often used to great effect to hold enemies down. However, it can be easily broken at a beginner's skill level

[] Flames: Fire is one of the easiest elements to command, only needing mana to sustain itself. This skill allows the caster to emit flames from their palms.

[] Summon servitor: Caster calls upon a nearby spirit, binding it to the material plane to exert it's master's will,
>>
>>36969993
>[X] Flames: Fire is one of the easiest elements to command, only needing mana to sustain itself. This skill allows the caster to emit flames from their palms.

Fire~
>>
>>36969993
>[] Emit force: While it is magic at it's simplest, using mana to emit a force in a direction, a skilled mage could use this to deadly effect. A beginner might be able to emit the equivalent of a punch, An expert could call upon the force of a charging bull

I could also go with something like >>36969949
>>
Is it just me or are dragon's jaws kind of unsynergistic with evocation?

Like, we can't possibly be biting things and casting spells at the same time, can we?
>>
>>36970040

I have the mental image of Marisa biting someone while blasting them in the torso. It could also be used separately as a close range/long range thing
>>
>>36969949
Add wings, tail and horn nubs and we're good to go.

>>36969993
Force and Chains would both be incredibly useful in many ways, but unskilled and unprepared I'd have to pick fire. It's simple, practical, and easy to apply to a bunch of situations.
>Fire
>>
>>36969993
>[] Summon servitor: Caster calls upon a nearby spirit, binding it to the material plane to exert it's master's will,
>>
>>36970051
>I have the mental image of Marisa biting someone while blasting them in the torso.
Jesus Christ I'm scared now.
>>
>>36970040
Just imagine biting his arm and then blasting him in the chest with Emit Force. We're strong enough that it's two opposing forced we can rip them in half.
>>
>>36969993

[X] Summon servitor: Caster calls upon a nearby spirit, binding it to the material plane to exert it's master's will,

Let's tag team with a spirit.
>>
>>36969996
>>36970052

Flames

>>36970007

Force

>>36970054
>>36970120

Servitor

Need a tie-breaker here
>>
>>36970150
Force voter changing to Fire
>>
>>36970167
Writing
>>
>>36970150
Servitor.
>>
>>36970180

(Sorry anon, you voted after I started writing. And I didn't want another tie breaker)

You flip through the pages till you find the one for Flames. Most magi start off with the creation of flames. Unlike ice or other elements, fire is created solely through the addition of energy, making it significantly easier to use.

You attempt to create a flame within your palms, but it sputters out and dies. You try again, and this time it last slightly longer than the first. By your twentieth try, you manage to sustain a significantly large flame that covers your hands, claws and all for about a minute or so. Exhausted, you decide to take a nap.

You wake to the sound of a knock on the carriage door.

A relatively young voice calls out "We've set camp and dinner is ready. The stews already being drained so you better get out before it's gone."

You decide to:

[] Find George
[] Get food, retreat to carriage
[] Risk it, cover yourself with the robe and eat with the recruits. The carriage doesn't even have a table anyway.

(I now need to type in captchas, strange.)
>>
>>36970276
>[] Get food, retreat to carriage
If we see George, then we see George.
>>
>>36970276
>[X] Risk it, cover yourself with the robe and eat with the recruits. The carriage doesn't even have a table anyway.
Foooood
Also eavesdrop of recruits.
>>
>>36969471

Is everyone fine with this being Marisa, or a close look a like of her?
>>
>>36970276
It's risky as hell, but I think you should:
>cover yourself with the robe and eat with the recruits
Avoid talking and don't draw attention, but given my fears here >>36969669 I really think you need to listen in on what the soldiers talk about.
>>
>>36970318
I don't have a problem.

Could use higher heels though, at least in town.
>>
>>36970318
I'm fine with it.

If I end up liking this enough and it lasts long enough I could probably commission someone like limebreaker at some point.
>>
>>36970318
Just as long as she has >>36969949's body
>>
>>36970318
I'd prefer >>36969949 or the frame of >>36969840
>>
>>36970318
See: >>36970342 >>36970351
>>
>>36970342
>>36970351
>>36970361
These are good.

>>36970333
Is probably right though. Just add a note that her body's more of an hourglass shape, and reference it in the quest
>>
>>36970296
>>36970321

>cover yourself with the robe and eat with the recruits

> writing
>>
>>36970430
Will we have the chance to advance or draconic skills later? I assume this is a given for mundane abilities like 1st aid and normal arcane abilities, but I wouldn't mind some atwill retractable/morphable steelcutting claws once we get some combat experience.
What would have hanged if we had picked the fire dragon ability? No fire spell and somethig else in the book, just useless spel in the book, or stronger fire spell?
>>
You bring the hood of your robes over your head, careful to hide your wings and tail. The only issue now is your claws. The men should be drunk enough by now to maaaaaaybe not notice it but you decide to put on some gloves just in case. After putting the book back into the pack, you step out of the carriage.

Tents have been set up around a large clearing in the forest. A stream separates the camp into two, with the recruits sitting on one side with about half the soldiers and the rest of the soldiers on the other side with the magi and high command. You take a seat in the middle of a circle of recruits surrounding a pot. A man scoops a bowl of stew and passes it to you.

Actions:

[] Talk to someone next to you (Roll d20)
[] Listen in on conversations while you pretend to eat the stew (Roll d20)
[] Write in?

>>36970451

You'll be able to advance your draconic skills later on. I'm using a sort of bio/exp system where you can upgrade your skills after you defeat enemies. Say you defeated a frost troll, you'll have the chance to get a frost skill or upgrade the rest. Sort of like: Draconic fire -> Living Fire (controllable fire) -> Flame snakes (Summon fire snakes that fly to your enemies and explode)

The options would have changed to something else like flames but for a different element if you took draconic fire
>>
Rolled 6 (1d20)

>>36970523
>[x] Listen in on conversations while you pretend to eat the stew (Roll d20)

Might I propose that you ask for rolls after a consensus has been reached? So people don't bandwagon on a good roll or choose something else due to a low roll.
>>
Rolled 11 (1d20)

>>36970523
>[] Talk to someone next to you (Roll d20)
Best of three right?
>>
>>36970535
Will do

>>36970536
Yeah
>>
Rolled 1 (1d20)

>Listen in on conversations while you ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶o eat the stew
>>
>>36970361
>>36970351
>>36970342
Why? When you overdo it that much with the curves it just stops being both attractive and sexy.
>>
>>36970584
I love it when people roll a one.

I vote for tail wagging when listening to something interesting.
>>
File: image.jpg (266 KB, 998x1090) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
266 KB, 998x1090
>>36970599
You my friend just have terrible taste
>>
>>36970605
OP hasn't said he uses a crit system.
Also good job guys, I think this is thefirst time players have managed to fuck up this early in quest, he chosen option defintely played a big part in this as well,
>>
>>36970535
>>36970536
>>36970584

> Rolled 1

(Don't worry, it's not THAT major of a fuck up, right? right?)

> writing
>>
>>36970639
1d20 with crits is stupid in a serious quest.
>>
>>36970523
>[] Listen in on conversations while you pretend to eat the stew (Roll d20)

You learn forward as you scoop stew into your mouth, and try to listen in on the ongoing conversations. Before you manage to get anything useful though, someone steps on your tail. You manage to stop screaming bloody murder but the man is already bending down to see what he's stepped on.

"Why do you have a tail?" you hear as you feel your tail being lifted up.

Somehow everyone around you heard that and are now looking at you.

[] write-in
>>
>>36970584 (You)
>Rolled 1 (1d20)
>UTF-8 fail.
Why do I even try?

>>36970639
I guess we still have fallback options like distractions and so on.
>>
>>36970716
>Write in
"It's called being a mutant, thank you!"
Tuck the tail back in
>>
>>36970716
>"Because I was born with it, why don't you have one?"
>>
>>36970716
>[] write-in

"Born with it," shrugging it off nonchalantly.
>>
>>36970703

Why so? The current way I intend on using crits is so that if you get a 1, you fail at it and have to get out of it, but not in such a way that makes it a quest-ender. So if you were up against a boss and got a nat 1 on a dodge, you'd get thrown against the wall, break a bone or two but you'll still be able to fight and win. It's no fun if you can die in a single roll.
>>
>>36970743
No, I get it. But the possibility of crits in a 3d20 system is high, very high.

Which means one moment we're super competent, the next we a shit
>>
>>36970716
I roll to sell it as a magical experiment, either illusion or morphing, and that it's temporary, ties in with our foreign sorceror story nicely. Act eccentric too, helps sell sorcery to the commonfolk.
>>
>>36970725
>>36970728
>>36970737

"I was born with it, thank you very much." You say as you tuck it back in, this time being even more careful than before. The man squints at you before laughing "Well that's what your parents get for living next to the wizards' college." He turns at the rest of the men before continuing. "Told you them magi aren't good for ya."

The group laughs, thankfully. They're also drunk and all, which might help. You won't be able to listen in on conversations anymore, since someone is looking at you at one point or the other.

Actions:

[] Return to carriage
[] Talk to someone (no d20, everyone most likely wants to talk to you now.)
[] Write in
>>
>>36970764
I get the 3d20 thing, but does it affect 1d20s though. If it does, I'll likely change it to a d100 system
>>
>>36970827
>[] Talk to someone (no d20, everyone most likely wants to talk to you now.)

>>36970847
See, if you're doing only a 1d20 system then we're completely at mercy of the dice. And /tg/ dice are spiteful as fuck
>>
>>36970827
>[X] Talk to someone

Lotsa quests use d20, 1's and 20's make stuff fun.

Look at the latest bug girl quest, rolled 50's throughout most of the thread. No real extremes until the end.
>>
>>36970868
I'll switch to a d100 system in that case. Also, I'll post another 1-3 updates depending on how fast it goes before I pass out
>>
>>36970884
Get a twitter so we can keep following your quest
>>
>>36970884
Use best of 3 1d100's, it works smoothly and doesn't completely fuck us over.
>>
>>36970827
>[] Talk to someone (no d20, everyone most likely wants to talk to you now.)

>>36970909
this please, this anons heading to bed now, this quest looks pretty interesting so I'll be keeping my eye on it, looking forward to more
>>
>>36970827
Grab your food and get out of there.
At this point the best you can hope for is for their memory to be cloudy in the morning.

>>36970884
Don't worry too much about the details of dice. Just go with whatever works at the time.
>>
>>36970827
>return to carriage
>>
>>36970868
>>36970879
>>36970936

Talking to someone wins, writing. Just made a twitter @QuestGiverAnon. Tell me if it works
>>
>>36970937
>whatever works at the time
'whatever works at the time' for dice usually fucks us over because of stupid dice
>>
>>36970977
Don't be bitter, best of 3 1d20s are fun if not the best system, I remember it took like 60 threads to get a crit in hellborn because it used 1d100.
>>
>>36971010
Thats not a bad thing anon, I've seen my fair share of quests die because of stupid crits for no good reason, I don't want this to join that long list
>>
>>36971010
>Rarely getting crits is a bad thing
Get a load of this idiot
>>
>>36971038
>>36971087
>implying the crit weren't one of the best moments of hellborn
>they never played Chief's quests
>hating fun
>>
>>36971087
If you don't want crits we can as well stop using dice
>>
>>36971120
I played Chiefs quests and loved crits in it, because he treated them well, like something to be cherished and celebrated, rather than a 25% chance to die ever time we roll dice
>>
Okay seriously folks, can we talk the discussion on the merits of different dice systems elsewhere?
>>
You turn around for anyone that looks open to conversation. First, you walk over to a man who seems to be by himself. Prey are easier when they're alone after all.

> Samuel, Recruit <

"Hey, what's up man."

"You're the tail girl huh, nice to meet you. I'm Samuel but I'd rather you call me Sam."

"Sure, I'm Marisa by the way."

"So why did you join up?"

"Oh, I got hired. I'm a sorcerer you see, and since I needed the cash and found a recruitment booth..."

"Hard times call for hard choices huh, my wife just gave birth and we need the coin. So I joined up. Foods not bad, pay's okay, and we haven't even fought anything yet. I really hope nothing happens.

"Maybe we just need to do guard duty and that's all."

"While that sounds rosy, I hear from when I was still in town that the outer cities on the borderlands are being evacuated due to dragons burning them down. I hear dragon fire can melt stone."

(1/???)

>>36971087
>>36971120
>>36971121

Please don't fight over dice, strategy is going to weigh more heavily anyway.
>>
>>36971149
Fffffiiiiiiiine.

>>36971121
Now you're just being stupid anon.
>>
>>36971120
Look, Chief's quests were never serious. They've remained unserious and joyful nearly 24/7 the way through.

3d20 with crits works that way since it's fun if you win or lose.

In a quest with stakes, where you can live or die. That's where 3d20+Crits is bad
>>
>>36971163

Both of you receive mugs filled with ale and take a swig before you continue:

"Tell me more of dragons, we need to be ready after all."

"Never went to one of their classes eh? Some say dragons are immortal, others say they're not."

"Inform me of their combat please, that's all that matter when you're in a life or death fight."

"A practical one eh? Never thought you to be one since magi are all theory this and theory that. Anyway, dragons usually use minions to attack from what I heard. They're able to create life and so they use that to attack our us mortals. Nasty creatures, their spawn."

(And this is where I pass out. Criticism welcome, I'll continue with this thread if it's still up when I can or make a new one tomorrow. I should be able to run in around 10 hours hopefully.)
>>
>>36971235
Can you clear up the Appearance issue before you leave?
>>
>>36971235
thanks for the thread OP, I'm about to collapse myself so hopefully a friendly anon can keep the thread alive.
>>
>>36971253
Nah, starting another thread is good
>>
>>36971249
I'm going with the majority for form, which is

>>36969471

with more curves like

>>36969840
>>36969949
if I'm not wrong. Thanks for playing
>>
>>36971283
That works, thank you very much OP.
>>
Also, last post from me. @QuestGiverAnon is my twitter
>>
>>36971283
Cool, that's great.

I'll try and give you some criticsm when I get back to my computer
>>
>>36973402
Thanks anon, I'll continue in a while once I get breakfast and other stuff done
>>
>>36977029
Cool.
>>
>>36977029
Tweet when you're restarting, include a link to the thread
>>
>>36971283
Just stumbled across this quest, well done OP.
>>
"So what we can expect to fight are dragon spawn, and we have no idea what they are."

"Pretty much, I don't expect much though. We'll see how they fare when we wipe their blood on our shield wall."

Actions:

[] Write in any questions you have
[] Do something (What?)
[] Return to carriage to sleep
>>
>>36978588
>[X] Do something (Drink! Drink! Drink!)
>>
>>36978588
>[] Return to carriage to sleep
Maybe masturbate a little
>>
>>36978588
>>36978598
then
>[] Return to carriage to sleep
>>
>>36978588
Ask him how big the force here is.
Then go get some rest.
>>
>>36978598
>>36978600
>>36978671
>>36978672

"So how big is the force here?"

"Oh, it's about 1000, 1500 men? I don't know, I'm only a cog in the machine."

(1/???)

(I'm so sorry guys, I need to run an errand and I'll be back in about half an hour. I'm sorry it happened so early into the session.)
>>
>>36978862
Don't worry about it. Shit happens, so take all the time you need.
>>
>>36978862
(Back, sorry for the delay.)

You down your mug of ale, before doing the same after refilling it. By the time you're done, Samuel's already asleep on the ground. You return to your carriage, dusting yourself off before lying on the wooden bench. A vast darkness, before revealing a familiar sight. You dream of:

[] Your family
[] Your time in the house
[] The program that made you into what you are
>>
>>36979294
>[X] The program that made you into what you are

Probably traumatizing.
>>
>>36979294
[] The program that made you into what you are
>>
>>36979294
>Write in
A Reverse Harem. Our goal in life
>>
>>36979294
>The program that made you into what you are
Time for nightmares.
>>
>>36979308
>>36979321
>>36979346

Program wins, writing.
>>
The curtain of dark parts, and your nostrils burns immediately from the stench of chemicals. You attempt to look around, but you can only turn your head only slightly. The room is dark, almost like night time, lit only with a few candles in sconces on the cobblestone walls. It's filled with men too, each staring directly at you. Your arms and legs are strapped down by onto a metal frame and various needles connect your body to various containers.

"How's the progress, Dr. Smith?"

"We're prepping her for the procedure. Equipment sterilized and she's clean."

"Good, I do hope you remember you're handling priceless materials."

"And that's the reason why you hired me, is that not?"

"Just get it done perfectly. She's the only... specimen we have and you do know the efforts we had to take to get the blood."

"Of course, now if you'd excuse me."

and the curtains fall again.

(1/???)
>>
Your eyes open again, this time to a room washed in light, almost blindingly so. As your eyes grow used to the brightness, you find yourself in the same position as you were in the previous dream. The walls are covered in cream tiles, save for various metal grills that serve as windows. The voices are softer this time, and you strain your ears to listen. Your body is similarly filled with various medical appliances but you seem less restrained. Your draconic features are also less distinct,from what you suspect.

"Why has her mutations stopped? I need her fully grown, and I need her now."

"Her internal organs seem to.. be co-inhabiting with the growths. This is entirely unprecedented. The others that went through this before died from the new organs cannibalizing the body, but she's entirely different."

"I know, but what I need is for her body to CHANGE into a dragon, fully. Not partially, fully. We need a full dragon, not a hybrid."

"The only way is for more blood and-"

"I don't care what you do, just get me the results. I heard that the dungeons are particularly empty this time of year."

"I understand."

(2/3)
>>
The curtains stayy closed and the stench of smoke and burning fill your nostrils. Wait, what? There’s nothing here, unless it’s from the real world, but who’d burn something in the middle of the night? A campfire doesn’t smell like burning cloth, oh. Oh dear lord.

“DRAGON SPAWN, GET YOUR WEAPONS.”

“Get the recruits out of their tents and head for the river. Get them to fill buckets to put out the fires."

You grab your robes groggily, and put it on before leaving the carriage. The sky is still dark, but the fire provide enough light to mistake it for day. About half of the tents on your side are on fire, while most of the tents on the other side are aflame. Everyone is running, the veterans to where the dragon spawn seem to be, and the rest to the river.

[] Follow the veterans to the fight
[] Circle around the camp. Hopefully you can ambush them
[] Follow the recruits
>>
>>36979866
>[X] Follow the recruits

Don't wanna fuck shit up for the vets.
>>
>>36979866
[] Follow the recruits
>>
>>36979866
>[] Follow the recruits
>>
>>36979866
Given we have zero combat experience and are in the middle of a army camp:
>Follow the recruits
Try to keep an eye on how the fights going, though.
>>
File: 1396889377888.png (432 KB, 506x823) Image search: [Google]
1396889377888.png
432 KB, 506x823
>>36979881
>>36979895
>>36979900
>>36979931

You follow the recruits to the river, near the center of the camp. Chains are already being formed to ferry buckets to and from the burning tents and you join the one closest to you. The flames are intense, even more so than any flame you've experienced. The clash of steel and carapace fill the air, with the occasional scream. The night is stabbed by bright light occasionally, likely from a lightning spell. From who's side, you don't know yet.

You've never worked this hard before in your life, but then again, you've never had the chance to do much physical work in the house that was your prison. A fireball is launched in your general direction, and it almost hits. Until a counter-spell causes it to evaporate. Your robes are drenched, both from the increasing heat and from the work. This is the first time you've been this close to dying after the experiment, but you feel oddly safe in the sea of armored men.

That is, until a metallic titan of steel smashes through and begins charging towards your group. Already, a detachment of knights and what appears to be a mage split off from the main offense, however they might not be able to stop the golem from starting it's rampage.

Actions:

[] Engage the titan. Your dragon blood should give you enough resistance to last.
[] Run away
[] Find a first aid kit for the wounded
>>
>>36980117
>[] Find a first aid kit for the wounded
>>
Rolled 57, 6 = 63 (2d100)

>>36980117
>[X] Find a first aid kit for the wounded
>>
>>36980117
>Engage the titan.
>>
>>36980157
this anon has to spend some time being sociable this holiday, so I'll probably miss the rest of the thread, looking forward to catching up, don't fuck up anons.
>>
>>36980157
>>36980195
>>36980246

>[] Find a first aid kit for the wounded

While the rest of the recruits are running from the titan, you decide to search for first aid kits in the tents that remain.

Roll a d100

(Participation seems low, should I come back later or keep going since we only have 2 players after that anon left for holiday stuff)
>>
Rolled 81 (1d100)

>>36980365
>>
Rolled 82 (1d100)

>>36980365
Eh, people will join and leave, and I'm not sure if waiting will help.
>>
Rolled 23 (1d100)

>>36980365
>>
File: 1419483117575.jpg (238 KB, 1600x1341) Image search: [Google]
1419483117575.jpg
238 KB, 1600x1341
>>36980389
>>36980397
>>36980412

(Continuing then)

You manage to find an intact tent that seems to be meant for storage. The tent is half collapsed, and everything is on the floor but most of the medical supplies are still in their packs. Grabbing a few packs, you head out to treat people. You're not trained in first aid but at least you know how bandages work. The camp is in chaos, however the titan is being engages by the knights and magi so that's one thing you don't have to worry about.

You move to the closest wounded, and open a medical pack. His arm sticks out at an unnatural angle and he's bleeding in quite a few places. Since you have absolutely no idea how to treat fractures, you bandage him before dragging him behind cover.

You begin questioning why he's not screaming from the pain when you realize he's already passed out. After you're done, you continue searching for wounded when you notice an injured robed figure. That decides to lunge at you. And is a spider. Shit.

Your Abilities:

Flames
Dragon's Jaws
Read Foe

[] What do you do?
>>
>>36980617
Flames
>>
>>36980617
>Read Foe
>>
>>36980617
>Read Foe
>>
>>36980635
>>36980759
>>36980781

(You can choose more than one ability to use at the same time.)
>>
>>36980851
Okay then, Fire + Read foe.
Let's save getting close and ugly until we know more about it.
>>
>>36980851
flame + read then
>>
>>36980894
>>36980906

(I'm going to end this session off after this encounter, any questions? Criticism is always welcome. I know I haven't been writing as well as I should and I'll improve on that.)

You calm yourself down, reading your opponent with a little help from your dragon heritage. The spider creature relies on ambushes, and probably only does quick strikes with little to no sustained combat abilities. It's fangs are shaped similarly to venom spewing creatures, and it's carapace is likely absent underneath to allow for motion.

Gathering mana into your palms, you generate a fireball within your arms before spewing flames from it. The spider backs away, it's arms blocking your assault.

What do you do?

[] Write in

(Also, it's possible to add in more details in the attacks. It's not locked to just the options so you can write things like "Engulf the spider in flames before crushing it in our jaws)
>>
>>36981068
>Eat the spider
>>
>>36981068
Hit it in the underbelly with the flames and cook it. Keep reading it while you do so. Thank for running Qm
>>
>>36981068
Goal is to bite the underbelly, which should kill it fast.
Try to bait it into lunging, and then use fire to the face to stun it. Then go for the kill.
>>
>>36981092
>>36981115

Gathering flames yet again in your palms, you send a surge of fire towards the underbelly of the spider, roasting it. You take this opportunity while it is stunned to grab it and bite it, completely severing it's head off. You follow that by crushing the rest of the spider and swallowing it.

It tastes surprisingly like ash and cream.

Ew.

Nope.

Your shoes now smell strangely of vomit, but you OBVIOUSLY didn't do that, did you? At least no one else saw.

Experience gained, you feel strangely empowered.

Abilities: Choose 1

[] Liquid Fire: Upgrades flames to a more viscous style of fire. Your fire will now stick to things.
[] Pronged Claws: Upgrade: Your claws split into two, so now you have twice the claws, twice the fun! While you can slash more effectively, your penetrative power is now reduced
[] Lunge: New ability: After crouching in a concealed location, you're now able to lunge at a target especially quickly.
[] Enhanced Jaws: Upgrade: Your teeth sharpen immensely, now almost pencil like at the tips. They are now able to penetrate more effectively.
>>
>>36981321
>[] Lunge: New ability: After crouching in a concealed location, you're now able to lunge at a target especially quickly.
>>
>>36981321
>You follow that by crushing the rest of the spider and swallowing it.
Wow, okay.

Normally I'd take a claw upgrade, but Pronged Claws sounds like it's got too much of a disadvantage.
>Lunge
>>
>>36981333
>>36981418

(Is it fine if I just leave this here and check later to see if more anons vote? I'm pretty much done with this session now. Thanks for playing! If there's no more votes, it going to be lunge but I'll edit it if more people vote for another option.

Twitter: @QuestGiverAnon. Any criticism or feedback is appreciated!)
>>
>>36981548
>Feedback.

>I know I haven't been writing as well as I should and I'll improve on that.
The writing in general is actually pretty good.

The only advice I can give you is not to feel too bound by dice rolls or voting or whatever. Those systems are there to assist you as QM, not to limit what you can do. Your job is to ensure the quest is enjoyable, and sometimes that just means ignoring stuff and making shit up.

You're doing really damn well.
Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.