[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good DMing tips, /tg/? I've been reading up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
What are some good DMing tips, /tg/? I've been reading up on a bit of D&D Basic and AD&D(a lot actually in the past few days) And I think I'm about ready to start a campaign with some players on here. I'm already polishing the world off a bit more, but I still feel timid about the other thing. Any advice?
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 600x350
>>44589748
>>been DMing for so long that it's just something I can put on and take off
It's hard to describe. You have to become a conduit to your world while balancing the fun of your players. All your players. Rules mastery is really useful. Being able to read people is more useful. Know the rule books, as in their layout. Don't be afraid to say "I'm not sure, but for now what we're going to do is..." And play that way for the rest of the session. Reward players for creative thinking. Make the world real, so the "randumb" shit they pull has a bite. Don't be afraid to be silly.

Also, for your first adventure, describe them approaching the entrance to the dungeon instead of having them meet in a tavern. You can always ask the players how they met after they get a good look at the entrance to the dungeon.

Watch the Second community episode about dungeons and dragons. It actually has a pretty good portrayal of dungeon mastering.
>>
>>44589748
Don't squirrel away your best ideas, use them while you're still excited about them. Get inspired, do prep, don't be a "fly on your seat" dm, improvisation is key, but it isn't enough to run a really great game.

Be willing to make mistakes. If you are drawing blanks, take a 5 minute bathroom break and brainstorm.
>>
>>44590193
This is great advice, but you can also go too far with this.

If your players make it too convoluted to use some of your ideas, you gotta kill your babies. It sucks, but you gotta do it.
>>
>>44590309
This is very true as well.

I really suck at pushing the game forward. As a player, I take initiative, but it is hard to get my players to do this
>>
>>44589748
Take your "twist ending". Put it in the first session. Spend the rest of the campaign working out the consequences.
>>
File: GM Advice.jpg (1 MB, 1235x2892) Image search: [Google]
GM Advice.jpg
1 MB, 1235x2892
>>44589748
I've got this thing.
>>
File: DM Advice 2.png (557 KB, 1014x3387) Image search: [Google]
DM Advice 2.png
557 KB, 1014x3387
>>44595757
And this thing.
>>
Some people are going to tell you to plan shit, others are going to say improv shit. Doing exclusively either is a bad thing.

The right balance between prep and improv is different for everyone, experiment and find out what works best for you.
>>
File: 1327570939444.png (51 KB, 651x794) Image search: [Google]
1327570939444.png
51 KB, 651x794
>>44595797

Not that anon, but: here's a can of instant skill.
>>
I always found that the absolute best thing to do is not write a plot until you have all the character backfgrounds. Make all of them include an ally or an enemy, however connected or removed, and see what plot you can weave.
>>
>>44589748
>What are some good DMing tips, /tg/?
Here is the best tip you can ask for.
Don't play D&D
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.