[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good twist for a Medieval not-japan setting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: yamabushi.jpg (76 KB, 450x414) Image search: [Google]
yamabushi.jpg
76 KB, 450x414
What's a good twist for a Medieval not-japan setting?
>>
>>44584031
>What's a good twist for a Medieval not-japan setting?
It's India in terms of religion and Han-dynasty China in terms of government.

Samurai were always also ministers (rather than being pacified later on) and Not!Shintoism reveres a mother/father deity as highest spiritual force.
>>
File: Peacock Fan.jpg (121 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
Peacock Fan.jpg
121 KB, 500x300
The size of your weapon is based on your blood. Peasants are allowed only daggers. Soldiers carry shortswords and maces. Nobility use spears and naginata.

The land is showered with meteors. Every meteor has a color and can be made into cosmetic. Many of them also give off poisonous gas. Some of it is good for killing undead, hence there are very few undead in the land. But that gas is also good at killing rice, so people don't like storing all their rice at home where it might get rotten by space gas.

Central granaries set up by the government are where the food goes. Farmers get paid for each bag of rice they bring with paper dollars, the only country to use them. Each dollar is good for one bag of rice from a granary, so it has a fixed value.

The Emperor of the land is always immortal, as the purity priests that surround him constantly fan the air to make it fresher and pick only the whitest grains of rice from the cleanest ponds and gardens. They don't die of old age but they still age and go far beyond youth, becoming senile and very weak. They usually die do to accident, and many strange laws such as having hand grips in public bathhouses and outlawing pointy fences have resulted. The people of the nation laugh at their 'bumbling emperors' but outsiders are not allowed to make fun of them.

>source; my very loosely asian-inspired nation from my setting. 'Shohou' or 'Land of Falling Stars'.
>>
>>44584031
Samurai are literally demons or half demons enslaved to a master, when they master dies they either are set free to become roaming demons or kill themselves and go home.

Later on crossover with "knights" who are armored angels.
>>
>>44584031
Ninjas ride !Dinosaurs

Global warming is causing sea levels to rise at a blistering pace and threatening the islands

Religious zealotry is spreading and militant cults are declaring independence from the state

!Zombies

Crippling food shortages are causing incredible political tension

Samurai culture is centered around a mobile sea-based lifestyle of boats and fishing and so forth, like Samurai Vikings

There's an aggressive military nation with the sole deposits of high quality iron in all of !Japan, leading to exclusive possession of western style metalwork

A massive central volcano erupts every ten years, but the current Emperor believes himself to be the son of the volcano god, and is arrogantly relocating the capital to the volcano's rim t-2 years before the next scheduled eruption

Everyone worships cats, like the Egyptians

!Ancient Aliens
>>
>>44584031
It's actually based on medieval Japan and written by people who know what they are talking about?
>>
>>44584181
Bullshit I can only suspend so much disbelief.
>>
>>44584031
Doing research on how things worked before samurais became a thing and tell the bushido to go fuck itself as the majority of soldiers and samurai did most of the time if they had the chance to murder all witnesses.
>>
>>44584031
The blurriness of your genitals is directly proportional to your power
>>
Native America in its prime with more active animal/nature spirits and very slightly more advanced tech

The different 'races' are just different geographical location tribes, i.e. The plains Indians like the Ute, the eastern forest Indians like the Iroquois conglomerate, throw in some mountain Indians and Eskimo and Cajun (sic) Indians as well

I think this setting has huge potential when it actually just focuses on the native Americans doing their own thing. None of this 'but then the white people come' crap. That's been done to death. Just native Americans being cool and shamanistic and doing their thing.
>>
>>44584031
make it like actual japan, not bullshit pop-history 'japan'

ARROWS AND SPEARS
ARROWS AND SPEARS EVERYWHERE
>>
>>44584031
ITS ACTUALLY CENTRALIZED!
What a tweest!
>>
>>44584387
BUT TSUNAMIS STILL REACH IT TO KILL ANY INVADERS
>>
>>44584031
Make it like actual Japan, but they're good guys.
>>
>>44584031

The Immortal Emperor is also the God-Emperor of Mankind.
>>
It actually makes sense within the setting and flows well with the other cultures?
>>
File: rq1a1vwb9jiblxlkq3b1.jpg (277 KB, 1024x752) Image search: [Google]
rq1a1vwb9jiblxlkq3b1.jpg
277 KB, 1024x752
>
>>
>>44584031
It actually not set in USAsian.
>>
>>44584031
Set it during the Imjin War

This time, they Chinese launch a counter attack.
>>
>>44584031
Weapons and armor actually progressed over the time.
>>
File: UBW.png (136 KB, 622x626) Image search: [Google]
UBW.png
136 KB, 622x626
>>44584561
>>
File: Loyalest.jpg (15 KB, 288x200) Image search: [Google]
Loyalest.jpg
15 KB, 288x200
>>44584031
I have a not!Japan and I'm going to not give a fuck about how actual Japan worked and create my own culture with Japanese aesthetics because we mostly don't give a fuck about medieval politics either in fantasy, just 'castles and knights' appearance.
That's the twist.
Fite me.
>>
>>44584440
This desu
>>
>>44584031
It's actually Japan
>>
Invaded by arabs
>>
File: 1410580967438.jpg (72 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
1410580967438.jpg
72 KB, 1440x900
>>44584992
I like you. Lets be friends.
>>
>>44584031
Conquered by mongols
>>
>>44584031
Everyones American.
>>
>>44584031
It's not an island
In fact it's a landlocked country in a relatively isolated mountainous area, like tibet
>>
Just play it straight instead of trying to push the pop culture image that has been exported
>>
>>44584031
No magic in western Europe, but the characters are lead to believe there is.

The peasants keep seeing monsters in the forest but they're all bullshit so it turns into medieval scooby-doo
>>
>>44584992
Yeah, I can do that too.

I was considering a setting idea where China discovered guns first and Japan quickly adopted them resulting in Gunslinger Samurai.
>>
Alt history Japan after the Axis powers win WWII
>>
>>44584440
Just finishing the first book, is great. I swear, if it goes to shit as the story progresses I will go crazy though.
>>
Everyone's black
>>
>>44585796
>medieval scooby-doo
Why isn't this a thing?
>>
File: 635032476133497061.jpg (110 KB, 1138x800) Image search: [Google]
635032476133497061.jpg
110 KB, 1138x800
>>44584031
It's actually Kamigawa, and the spirits are really pissed you ignored them for all the campaign.
You're doing Kami war now.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.