[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
That moment when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: 1370999279035.png (95 KB, 465x343) Image search: [Google]
1370999279035.png
95 KB, 465x343
>DnD5e
>Play a Champion Fighter with Great Weapon Master + Charger
>That moment when you charge, and land an attack at an additional 15 damage despite the -5 to hit penalty.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzUHaRsxFzg

That shit is borderline cathartic, I swear.

What are some moments you've had where you can't help but go "Fuck yes"?
>>
>>44570954
The time I rolled some dice and got a natural 20, and confirmed with a roll of 15, and did sufficient damage to kill the enemy in one hit. My party members were impressed by this feat and congratulated me. "Nice crit!" they said, and I felt good because of randomly rolled dice signifying that I had just killed someone in a simulated game.
>>
>>44570954
>5e
>GWM fighter
>Pit-fighting duel, facing a big enemy
>Power attacking
>Action Surge + Bonus attack
>Crit like 4/5 of the attacks
>Big enemy goes down like a bitch
>Get wasted
>Wake up the next day in a cauldron full of gold

>Feels Goodman.jpg
>>
>>44571023
This one time, I posted an extremely passive-aggressive over-simplification of every account of a fun game ever made and then felt extremely smug at my sense of superiority as another anon also did the same thing to me in an equally passive-aggressive attempt to belittle me.
>>
>>44571273
Once, I used an imitation of a mockery of a simplified account of an act to ridicule the mockery of a simplified account of an act, merely to prolong the running gag.
>>
>>44571641
Once a time I pretended to cath myself on imitation of a mockery of a simplified account of an act to ridicule the mockery of a simplified account of an act, merely to prolong the running gag.
>>
One time, I pointed out that the only person in a thread that wasn't a faggot was OP.
>>
>>44573046
>>
File: jonesy!.jpg (480 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
jonesy!.jpg
480 KB, 1366x768
>Only War
>Playing Sactioned Psyker
>Raiding some Imp facility overrun with Nids
>Hear something clawing around in a dark corner
>"Hey guys, watch me magic the fuck out of this"
>cast some psyker power, roll Perils of the Warp
>Lose all of my equipment in the resulting explosion, end up naked and unconscious.
>Thing in the corner? it was a cat...
>MFW Jonesy
>>
Charger is a really, really terrible feat
>>
File: Crying-Dean.gif (483 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Crying-Dean.gif
483 KB, 500x281
>>44575657
>you should only take feats because they are good in terms of rules, not because they might fit the character

Oh, anon.
>>
>>44576002
He's not saying that. He's saying it's a bad feat.
It'd be better if it was decent and when people took it for flavor/character reasons it gave a more significant benefit.

Is it wrong to want a character with consistent characterization and roleplaying opportunities that is also mechanically sound and competent?
>>
>>44576059

No, but it's wrong to judge feats mechanically when you should be judging them based on character/flavor when you can. Worry about mechanics second and flavor first.

Of course, feats in general are just part of the deluge of rules bloat that came with 3e.
>>
>>44570954
? why not move and make all your attacks instead of only one?
>>
>>44575657
Savage attacker is like billion times worse, charger is situational as fuck, and literally never found a situation in where I couldn't make all my attacks but use charger, but might exist...meanwhile savage attacker is a fucking waste of scarce resources like feats.
>>
>>44576137
Yes, because I need the charger feat to say my character is rushing into an enemy and putting his momentum behind the blow.
>>
>>44571023
This.
>>
File: there goes my nipples.png (250 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
there goes my nipples.png
250 KB, 500x380
>>44570954
>level 1 variant human fighter with sharpshooter and archery fighting style
>framed character-wise as a super-skilled archer
>miss three turns in a row even after burning two hero points, level 1 so I have nothing else to do
>then say fuck it and try a sharpshooter shot
>11 + 7 - 5 = 13
>hit the terrorist wizard in the chest for 16 damage, sending her to 1 hp
>>
>>44576522
>I can't read.

That's not what I said at all anon. I'm pretty sure you know that though, and just want to pretend that's what I said.
>>
>>44576137
Why should we not evaluate MECHANICAL BONUSES by judging them on their MECHANICAL VALUE?
>>
>>44576579

Because if you're doing that, you're playing one of the bloated editions of the game made by Hasbro.
>>
>>44576606
I do this for every system that bothers with heavy mechanics for characters. The more mechanics there are to a character, the more you need to evaluate and learn, so you can figure out what mechanics fits your character the best.
>>
>>44576697

That, in a nutshell, is the problem.
>>
>>44576740
That I give a shit about the mechanics of a game and want to analyze it so I can create a character that is mechanically representative of the character's concept?
>>
>>44576898

No. That a game has mechanics that encourage players to do that is the problem. The instant that you include character build choices that can be non-optimal, you create a pitfall for the player, because they can then make the 'wrong' choice.

There should be no wrong choices in character builds. Choices that could be 'wrong' should just not be available.
>>
>>44575657
unless you're a rogue, especially a swashbuckler
>>
>>44577093
Then I have absolutely no idea why the fuck we even got into this argument because I absolutely feel the same way.
>>
>>44576562
Isn't it best to just always use Sharpshooter unless they're like 20 AC?
>>
>bard
>two wizards
>wizards constantly shittalk me all game in our first run
>LOL IM A WIZARD BRO BARDS ARE JUST SHITTY WIZARDS
>we run into a group of 8 goblins
>wizards blow all of their spells doing jack fucking shit
>cast sleep
>5 8's in a row
>the remaining goblins all fucking drop to the ground
>wizard players never come back
was a good time
>>
>>44576314
You're right it's situational, but it's a situation I wish I had paid attention to. My last DM used the variant encumbrance rules, so my fighter CONSTANTLY had 10 feet less of movement just from my plate, shield, and weapons, let alone all the gear I needed to have.

It's extremely painful to run up to something, especially something with legendary actions to move, only for it to run off in the other direction, juuuust far enough for me to dash to, but not enough to attack.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.