[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pokemon Mystery Dungeons and Dragons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 14
I have returned /tg/.

It's been quite some time since I last posted, but I believe these are all the archives from the last threads:

http://4archive.org/tg/res/34513132
http://4archive.org/tg/res/34536191
http://4archive.org/tg/res/34560640
http://4archive.org/tg/res/34592493

Basic premise for those unfamiliar: Centuries after humanity has perished from the world of Pokemon, select few species of Pokemon have become intelligent and have begun rebuilding civilization, building towns and villages, forging swords and armor. The game is currently set in the Kanto region, where most of civilization has modeled itself after Feudal Japan, roughly around the Sengoku period.

I'd mostly like to discuss fluff and world building. As well as plot hooks, character ideas, etc.

Additionally, if anyone would like to contribute art / images/ maps, etc. that would help illustrate the world that'd be great. In particular, I'd really like a Japanese brushwork / calligraphy looking map of Kanto, with little writing or something so I can add stuff to it.

For those who may remember previous discussions, I've since started the game, and we've just finished our second session.

I'll start things off with the PC characters I rolled up, as well as where the game has progressed to thus far.

Lastly, if any of my players happen to stumble upon this, I warn you now, look away. You know who you are. Spoiling any surprises will make things less fun, and meta-gaming will be severely punished.
>>
File: Pikachu Samurai Alt7.png (34 KB, 90x90) Image search: [Google]
Pikachu Samurai Alt7.png
34 KB, 90x90
I'll start things off with some of the sprites I edited for the PC tokens. We use MapTools, and taking inspiration from this Reddit post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/1bm6co/i_love_using_roll20_for_gaming_but_i_horrendously/

I took some tilesets from the Pokemon games to make some maps, as well as the aforementioned sprites for the PCs.

That said, I introduce Tsukuda Kuro, the noble Pikachu Samurai, and leader of the party.
>>
File: Pikachu Rising Sun BG6.png (3 MB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Pikachu Rising Sun BG6.png
3 MB, 1280x853
>>35074663
Oh man, I forgot that these are super small. Anyway I took a couple of them and blew them up for the character sheets, and put them on a quick background I whipped up.
>>
File: Bidoof Monk Robe2.png (42 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
Bidoof Monk Robe2.png
42 KB, 100x100
Next up, Mizushima Satoshi, scholar, biologist, healer, poisons expert. He joins the party on a quest for knowledge, and to gather and study poisonous Pokemon in the wild.

I couldn't find or think of any actual, historic Feudal Japanese analogue to this class of character. I imagine him kind of like a Maester in ASoIaF / GoT, except he actually adventures and shit. Maybe like a medicine man? I don't know, it doesn't bother me if this kind of person wasn't real in feudal Japan, but it'd be cool if there were people kind of like this in reality as it gives me more ideas to work with.
>>
File: Bidoof Rising Sun BG4.png (3 MB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Bidoof Rising Sun BG4.png
3 MB, 1280x853
>>35074835
>>
File: Samurai Sandshrew.png (22 KB, 70x70) Image search: [Google]
Samurai Sandshrew.png
22 KB, 70x70
Yamaguchi Katashi, Samurai Sandshrew. Hotblooded, cocky, party-tank. Wields a massive Odachi.
>>
File: Sandshrew Rising Sun BG5.png (3 MB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Sandshrew Rising Sun BG5.png
3 MB, 1280x853
>>35074933
>>
File: Rattata Ashigaru Archer Hat.png (129 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
Rattata Ashigaru Archer Hat.png
129 KB, 180x180
And finally, Tanaka Shiro. Ashigaru archer in the servitude of Tsukuda. Ambitious, bloodthirsty, crack - shot. Hopes to gain honor and notoriety through battle with the ultimate goal of being raised to the status of Samurai.
>>
File: Rattata Samurai Sun BG.png (3 MB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Rattata Samurai Sun BG.png
3 MB, 1280x853
>>35075138
>>
>>35075138
I should add that the player specifically asked to be given red fur, perhaps poor little Shiro was the runt of the litter, or what's the opposite of an Albino? Anyway, you get the idea
>>
File: Ronin Pikachu.png (38 KB, 100x90) Image search: [Google]
Ronin Pikachu.png
38 KB, 100x90
I've also whipped up this guy, to be an eventual adversary. He's an as of yet unnamed Ronin Pikachu, probably going to be a leader of bandits or the like. He's seen some tough battles, with a scar over his right eye.
>>
File: Ronin Pikachu Rising Sun BG.png (3 MB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Ronin Pikachu Rising Sun BG.png
3 MB, 1280x853
>>35075335
>>
File: 1409944705465.png (587 KB, 900x797) Image search: [Google]
1409944705465.png
587 KB, 900x797
The group's first mission is to assist a small village that's been continuously raided by a band of Mankey / Rattata bandits. Thus far they've defeated a couple bandits that appear to have been scouts, visited and briefly spoken to the villagers, and are now searching for the bandits' secret camping grounds / base. Eventually they'll find it within a network of Ekans infested caves. Thinking that the Ronin Pikachu might be the bandit leader, but haven't decided for sure yet.

I should add that originally my group was going to play a series of short campaigns (4ish sessions) using different systems or in different genres, however once this idea struck me I kind of ran with it more than I expected. My players seem to be having fun, and I think I'd like to continue. That said, I want to give them a real good hook at the end of this little mission to want them to keep going. I'd give them the option of rolling new characters, since like I mentioned these were all created by me, but in the very likely event that they just want to keep these characters, what's a good hook?

I was thinking something like the daimyo that gave them this task is killed / disgraced, forcing this group to become Ronin and wanderers, giving them the opportunity for revenge or to regain their honor, or perhaps they'll just say fuck it and become bandits.
>>
So what is this? I came from your post in /vp/ and I'm not really familiar with this board, so is this a tabletop game or something?
>>
>>35077093
Well this thread mainly serves as a communal brainstorm for world - building.

That said, yes, I'm running this in a tabletop game, using the Savage Worlds system, but the system and mechanics aren't the most important for this discussion.
>>
File: Mountain Town.png (202 KB, 4200x1400) Image search: [Google]
Mountain Town.png
202 KB, 4200x1400
Bumping with example of map I made of the village the group went to visit.

I haven't established much of the world, other than the PCs are from a major town / village located near the old Kanto powerplant, composed of an alliance between the races of Pikachu, Rattata, Sandshrew and Bidoof. There's also a separate sister nation located around the Viridian Forest, composed of Pikachu, Rattata and Sandshrew. Until recently, Meowth were a scattered race, forming small groups that would raid and pillage, or kill for hire, etc. However, they've since been unified by an unknown entity, and have gathered en masse around the ruins of old Saffron and Celadon city.
>>
Cool shit OP.
>>
File: Ekans Road2.png (262 KB, 693x693) Image search: [Google]
Ekans Road2.png
262 KB, 693x693
>>35078352
Thanks

On another note, might anyone know where to get Pokemon game assets, such as tilesets and such? I used a program called Tiled to make the maps, but had a kind of limiting amount of resources available since the few tilesets I found on spriter's resource had these annoying 1-2px spaces between each square, and thus I couldn't use them easily as far as I know.

Additionally, anyone know of any samurai / feudal Japan style games that have sprite graphics? The above PC sprites were modified characters from the games Phantom Brave and Dragon Force, but there's only a few characters that fit the samurai style I'm looking for and I don't want any future sprites to all look repetitive.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.