[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition General: Shitty Homebrews
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: r40489204.jpg (268 KB, 575x390) Image search: [Google]
r40489204.jpg
268 KB, 575x390
>All official WotC content
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

What's the shittiest homebrew rule/class/race you've seen another player/DM try to implement, /5eg/?
>>
>last session in 2015 on New Year's Eve
>Playing LMoP, party of 5, including Droop, the goblin from the bandits hideout earlier that we convinced to come with us and the GM decided to let level with us after earning ~1000 XP to reach level 1
>Gundren charges Black Spider, killing him on the spot with the help of a mage
>I'm down to 1 HP, no healing possibilities, only 1 ki left, jump up on the huge statue standing in the room, chucking darts from there
>Shit somehow goes horribly wrong, Gundren falls unconscious and dies after two unsuccessful stabilization attempts by my monk after jumping down again
>Meanwhile spiders and the bugbears have tackled our ranged fighters
>Archer falls unconscious, Droop manages to revive her
>Mage falls unconscious
>I tackle the fray, attempting Patient Defense after busting Bugbears in the back
>Bugbears still manages to hit me, I fall unconscious
>Only spirit animal and Droop left conscious
>Spirit animal dies
>Droop gets the hell out after seeing all his friends get beaten to a pulp

And that's how we were almost through with that campaign and managed to get wiped in the very last room after already having killed the BBEG. At least now we can say New Year, New Party.
>>
Hi /5eg/. I'm new to 5e, only played Pathfinder for something like 4 years. I'll play my first 5e campaign soon. So, I really liked Inquisitor class in Pathfinder, and I want to make something similar for 5e. I'm thinking Swashbuckler Rogue/Paladin of Vengeance multiclass, maybe some fighter in between for bonus feats. How should I take levels and still be viable at all times, without power drops?
>>
How would one make a Warlock of Undying Light with some neat thievery/trap finding/lock picking skills on the side without hobbling progression? It needn't be 100% powerful, I just need to be adequately useful.

Concept's a thief who was brought back by Deity after had a change of heart and died in protection of others.
>>
>>44499598
Well, first, Bonus Feats are no longer a thing. Fears are now directly tied to class progression (admittedly with some classes getting more than others) and require giving up an attribute increase so they are a big investment.
Second, you'd get closer to the flavor of an inquisitor with a straight-up paladin probably. Maybe a Vengeance subclass. Multiclassing does not give you all the saves and proficiencies of both classes anymore and classes are not as front-loaded with all of their core features spread over the first three levels or so. This makes "dipping" and even multiclassing much less incentivized.
>>
>>44499627
Criminal background to get proficiency in thrives tools and other skills of the trade? The system is built right into the game for this kind of stuff. And I'm sure your DM will be flexible enough to let you swap a few skills around so long as you have the proper number and they fit the character thematically.
>>
File: Capture68.png (38 KB, 112x139) Image search: [Google]
Capture68.png
38 KB, 112x139
>>44499021
Im new to d&d. Is it better to get an IRL friend to teach me or to lurk 4chins + the internet
>I have read the player handbook 30 billion times
>mfw I still dont get a lot of parts
>>
>>44499627
custom background would net you 2 skills, and 2 tool proficiencies. Something like stealth, sleight of hand, thieves tools, and forgery kit.
>>
>>44499665
As with all games, play is the best way to learn. If you have a DM who's familiar with the rules they can help guide you through the parts you don't understand as you go. You're probably more familiar with the rules than most starting players. But if you really want other resources you can always watch games online or ask rules questions here.
>>
>>44499667
>>44499662
>>44499627
>UAshit
Mearls pls go.
>>
>>44499700
The patron is UA; the other two are published materials.

I hate the UDL warlock too, but damn, son, chill.
>>
Wow, how is Moon Druid now wildly overpowered? Being able to transform into Giant Spiders, Brown Bears, Dire Wolves at level 2? I'm going to have loads of fun.
>>
>>44499886
Bear in mind that your AC will be shit and scale pretty badly as you level unless you dip Monk so your main defense will be your wealth of hitpoints; that you'll have to start relying on your (pretty shitty) spells if your DM doesn't let you rest at least once every two encounters; and that if you multiclass out at all, you will be delaying both your spell and Wild Shape progressions.

But yeah, you're pretty OP at level 2.
>>
>>44499627
I want to post that one pasta of the Thief who pretended to be a paladin and in the end died like a paladin would while defending a town from a cruel enemy army.
>>
>>44499942

Our DM is pretty okay with short rest as long as we're in a secured relatively small space inside dungeons. I think it'll turn out nicely.
>>
>>44499842
What's wrong with UDL?
>>
I want to do something like "The Searing" of Guild Wars 2 in my campaign, what do you guys think of it? How to adapt it? Which monsters should I put after the event?
>>
>>44499942
>Bear in mind
Ayy
>>
>>44500018
Ops, not "The Searing", I meant the "Foefire"
>>
>>44500009
It's even better at multi-classing with Cha-builds than ordinary warlocks.
Also raw damage boost to radiant/fire damage.

I'm only sad that its feature doesn't support the monks spell attacks as well giving them the option to finally multiclass.
>>
File: Donovan Graham.png (171 KB, 1546x1250) Image search: [Google]
Donovan Graham.png
171 KB, 1546x1250
>>44499967
4U

>>44500009
People think it's overpowered.

I'd like to point out that Agonizing Eldritch Blast is still superior to anything using Radiant Soul unless you build around Greenflame Blade, and even then your DM can just shut you down with fire resistance and immunity (note that the 3 monsters with the 3 highest CR are all immune to fire, if your DM feels like finishing your campaign with a bang).

I'd also argue that its other features are comparable to those of the other Patrons' (excluding Undying, but that one's complete shit anyway).

If you want overpowered, look at the Ambuscade Ranger.
>>
>>44499021
Played a hyper simplified version of D&D for my family who'v never played before, Including my mum, brother, my gf, female friend of my brothers and an old pal from down the village.

I randomised so much in gam including races which I also simplified for them,
Campaign was an "escape from prison planet" thing i'd written specifically for them.
Nothing was supposed to go wrong...

My mum was the only one actually capable of abstract thinking in the game, she played as a human bounty Hunter.

Friend and Female friend both rolled the "Grillan" a space gorilla that got better strength but was clinically retarded with Charisma to match.

My Gf was a Floran, Flower thing from that game, got bonuses for Charisma.

Brother Played a Feelum, Cat Person, pretty balanced but he rolled some of the most unbalanced, Stronger than a Grillan but more retarded with the Charisma of an actor and the perception of a gnat-style Stats i've ever seen... Also kept trying to correct me on the rules all night long and make up some bullshit backstory to explain his failings,

Will cont with specifics.
>>
>>44499994
This. It isn't hard to short rest, especially since you don't have to literally sleep or anything ridiculous like that.
>>
>>44500041
>>44500059

Can it finally Bladelock well?
>>
>>44500041
All Monks need in order to multiclass is some kind of feature or feat that allows Martial Arts to be used with non-Monk weapons, so Monk/Paladins can wield guandaos from atop celestial Steeds and Monk/Rogue ninjas can wield urumis can wield chain darts and urumis instead of just daggers.

>>44499994
If your DM runs things that way, then that's fine. Some don't feel at ease letting characters laze around in a hostile environment for an entire hour unless they've already secured all possible entrances and set up a perimeter.
>>
>>44500009
My reasoning is entirely pedantic, and I have no illusions about it. But since you asked:
1) the flavor is complete fucking garbage for a warlock. Warlocks explicitly deal with powerful beings in exchange for power and knowledge. You don't "deal" with the positive energy plane; it's a plane. Flavor wise, this would make much more sense as a sorcerer bloodline, but WotSee thought they were being cute with their "scariest thing inna underdark is the light!!!one!" thing.

2) Players looking to be special wotsits have grabbed onto it with greater gusto than even Favored Soul. AND they can multiclass between the two. As a DM, I can't begin to tell you how fucking tired I am of Original the Character: Tiefling FSoul/Lightlock, on a mission to redeem himself from his dark past.

Mechanically, it's fine. I just hate it so much.
>>
>>44500101
No.
Only the martial arts damage dice needs to change so it keeps up with other martials and monks need a proper spell progression similar to druids with the accent being on 3 types of spells 1. steady damage output that is an equivalent to cantrips on a sorc or warlock, 2. explosive damage spells that scale with monk level and 3. utility spells geared towards defense and healing.
>>
>>44500117
>1) the flavor is complete fucking garbage for a warlock. Warlocks explicitly deal with powerful beings in exchange for power and knowledge. You don't "deal" with the positive energy plane; it's a plane.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there even doubts it even existed this edition? The flavour is pretty damn threadbare so in my recollection it was just "random good force from somewhere".
>>
>>44500117
>Flavor wise, this would make much more sense as a sorcerer bloodline, but WotSee thought they were being cute with their "scariest thing inna underdark is the light!!!one!" thing.
Pretty sure it was less that and more Sorcs being deliberately passed over by them because ~reasons~.
>>
>>44500149
If they made an ''angelic pact'' people would complain that warlocks are supposed to be ''EEEBIL''.
>>
>>44500117
Do-
Do people actually play Undying Light with the default flavor?

I've always assumed that they just refluffed it to some kind of Phoenix or Fire God pact or whatever fits the campaign.
>>
>>44500145
>All monks are partial casters.
I could dig that.
>All monks are a different kind of full caster, like druids are different from clerics.
No. Monks still need to wuxia.
>>
File: 1428451163749.jpg (35 KB, 516x384) Image search: [Google]
1428451163749.jpg
35 KB, 516x384
my party is wrapping up the place they just visited but i have no idea what to do for the next place and im supposed to be done today.

the next stop is a "crossroads town" connecting several farming villages and some of the bigger cities.

hit me with some ideas

please
>>
>>44500220
Nor a full spell progression.
I meant a partial spell progression.
So something between a ranger and a warlock.
One that gives them the option to pick up 2 good cantirps from their own spell list and spell slots till level 4 spells that scale the damage well enough.
>>
>>44499662
Swapping skills is RAW in the phb, with the skills in the backgrounds really just being suggestions.
>>
>>44500238
Just pop open the DMG and roll on every table you see. String them together until you get an adventure.
>>
>>44500238
The fuck is your setting even?
The fuck is happening to your PCs?
>>
>>44500084

>Game starts out well
>Couple of standard guard encounters to get them used to combat
>Make it quite obvious what possibilities of escape are
>Party decides to move to a Tavern located in a lawless district in "The Pit" to gather info.
>Jerome the Male Grillan investigates a Door he considers "Mysterious" fails a perception roll, fails luck, critically fails strength but is saved from "The Door" by the female Grillan Desdemona who used her speed and perception to save Jerome from a locked Ladies Restroom.
>Phillipe the Feelum ( Brother) decides that because of his super special cat perception he can figure out how to get inside.
>Makes up some bullshit about how he used to be a locksmith...
>Nigga what?
>Succeeds his roll, manages to look at a woman peeing,
> Get's pissy when I ask him wtf he was expecting. Claiming that his backstory should have given him some sort of a reward because he's smart using it...
>*sigh*
>Ask him for a charisma roll to talk to the pissing woman
>Succeeds
>She shows him a bit of boob
>Get's pissy because he should get a "real reward"
>Very well... I roll his luck, I'm pretty annoyed at this point but there was worse to come, succeeds luck
> Finds a penny,
>Hit's head on the wall trying to pick it up and is knocked out.
>Fuck you Phillipe
>>
>>44500247
Druids are full casters, warlock cantrip damage is basically the same as any ranged martial class, sorcerer cantrip damage is noticeably lower, a monk's shortbow already matches druid cantrip damage up through level 17, and that's by level 5-8. Basically, you explained yourself poorly.
>>
>>44500363
>all of the above
>>
>>44500399
Yep.

Basically i want them to be as god as other martials with their monk weapons while making ki a proper magic system.

Just giving them spells for short range combat should be enough (up to 30 ft.).
Keep the cantrips at a level where they serve as a steady damage output for this short range combat style (comparable to an archer) and higher level spells that serve for short bursts of higher damage.
>>
Moon druid / barbarian multiclass any good?
>>
>>44500479
You can't cast spells while raging so no.
>>
>>44500479
At first glance it seems that way but the classes don't synergize as well as you might think. Rage means no spells or concentration. Multi attack in animal form doesn't use the attack action (no extra attack or frenzy). Your AC won't really get a big boost until you get to some of the really high level forms (mammoth/triceratops). You don't gain anything from martial weapon proficiency really. Not to mention you're losing spell progression and wild shape progression for every level you put into barb.
>>
>>44500363
the setting is a homebrew world that's just a very generic but young colony, so it's ruled fairly independantly by the local nobles(under the empire, of course)

the PC's have started uncovering a plot by a strange cult of some sort, where they have managed to find bodyparts of an old dead god (this will more come in to play later, and they have just finished a hefty part with this, so i want to take a break)

the atmosphere is one where i can go from them encounter fairies playing tricks on people by smearing "wart-educing" lipstick on frogs to an entire town brutally slaughtered and turned into zombies (of course i slowly build this up to not make tonal issues) so i would describe it as a fairly lighthearted campaign with horror elements

i've had dwarven serial barberer, large owls with bear heads, frogs with lipstick and orcs playing caves and cavemen with small stone figurines and bone dice, so im thinking of something like that tonally, but the best idea i currently have is the old cake golem schtick, but im affraid it will feel like a fetchquest and that my PC's will simply ignore it and go out and do something else, that i havn't planned (which i can handle, but the quality suffers)
>>
>>44500479
Try Barb-Monk instead.
First two levels in Barb.
Go for variant human for extra feat.
Get savage attack and mobile at lvl 1.

Is pole arm master available in this edition?
That'd be my choice for the lvl 2 feat.
>>
>>44500537
>Get savage attack and mobile at lvl 1.
>Is pole arm master available in this edition?
>That'd be my choice for the lvl 2 feat.
Anon, you seem confused. Are you sure you're playing the right edition of D&D?
>>
>>44500491
>>44500503
I was hoping for a more effective beast form but I guess that doesn't work out. Pity, it's good theme wise.
>>
>>44500178
>Sorcs being deliberately passed over by them because ~reasons~.
Don't you even fucking start. Butthurt sorcerer circlejerk is even higher on my shit list than snowflake animu Messiah complex warlock.

You assholes have the Favored Soul and Shadow bloodlines. Do you have any idea how many trap multiclasses I've had to console a player over due to your toys?
>>
>>44500605
More effective beast forms are generally gained by leveling Druid until you can Wild Shape into a beast with higher CR.

That said, I can see an argument for a dip of Barbarian so you can pop a Rage in the same encounter as a Wild Shape, giving yourself damage resistance and a small damage boost.

But you basically have to weigh it against stalling your Druid progression. That'd be your own call.
>>
>>44499222
That sucks hard, but that's how the dice roll sometimes. Have a happy new year and good luck to your next party.
>>
>>44500632
>FS
>Shadow
Huh. That completely passed me by.
>>
>>44500706

As if we knew it, me and the other player talked about death of our characters the day before. She's never played DnD before this campaign and was already saying how we can't die and how bad that would be. She needed a bit before she was ready to create a new character :3 But I think now that she's more used to the system, she's going to have more fun, especially now that both of us have characters that are a bit more interesting instead of punchy-kicky Monk and wolf-fucking Ranger.
>>
>>44499598
Sounds like you want to bee a witch hunter from the watchmaker online game, I used the PF inquisitors to do that too, but>>44499638 is right, Oath of Vengeance Paladin.
>>
>>44500238
Just use the DMG, the tables for plot hooks and towns and whatnot are pretty nifty.
>>
>>44500798
Alternately, and somewhat in the spirit of the OP, there's an Oath of Silence homebrew that makes a fuckawesome witch killer.

Homebrew is often shitty/inconsistent, but this one's alright: http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1277
>>
>>44500790
Glad to hear it. I honestly still get sad over character deaths in early level play. At later levels between raise dead spells and the general fact that they will have hopefully lived a good life I am usually not too tore up about it.

Also,
>wolf fucking ranger

Oh god please tell me that did not actually happen.
>>
>>44500957

No, not actually. But she was very attached to it, sleeping in the woods with it rather than staying at the inn with us etc. And once wasting a round in battle petting it instead of doing something useful.
>>
>>44501001
Persuade her to play a non-Beastmaster Ranger next time while you play a Shifter Druid
>>
>>44500798
I know of a witch hunter class and a similarly sourced blood hunter class that may be suitable too, if you look into home-ish brewed stuff.
>>
File: 5e DM Screen 11x17.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
5e DM Screen 11x17.pdf
1 B, 486x500
probably the last time ill post these.
>>
File: 5e DM Screen 8.5x11.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
5e DM Screen 8.5x11.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44501288
>>
Is there an automated mass combat software somewhere?
As in, just enter statblocks for both sides (like 100 guards, 10 knight vs 20 ogres) and press START to pass [X] combat rounds, then look at casualties and hp remaining.
Or some other relatively quick mass combat rules that is not a wargame like when armies clash arcana.
>>
>>44501079
My issue with the Witch/Blood Hunters is that it doesn't encapsulate the feel of an Inquisitor so much as "The only option to defeat the enemy is to become the enemy, no matter the cost"
>>
>>44501404
Seriously, see this. >>44500956
>>
There is a player that plays with a rogue in my table, and he aways uses: "I'll hide here and attack with a bow", and while the others face dangerous situations he usually stays safe, what should I do to put him in some scary situations?
>>
>>44501539
Flank him. How's his Wis?
>>
>>44501553
STR: 10
DEX: 16
CON: 16
INT: 10
WIS: 12
CHA: 9

Rogue 3/Human Variant
>>
So I had my first session last night. (I was the one freaking out about DMing my first game a couple days ago)

One player didn't get his character filled out until the last minute, and another character JOINED at the last minute, so we spent about an hour figuring out their character sheets. It was probably more or less correct. As long as we're having fun, right?

So the first encounter started and they all started flubbing their rolls, while I (controlling four goblins) was rolling 15-20s left and right. The party's Dragonborn Fighter was the only one who didn't fail 99% of his rolls, and he one-shot every goblin while the rest of the party was hiding behind the Paladin and desperately trying to heal. They all survived, and the party's Rogue, who couldn't make it last night, will be able to join us for our next session, where they'll immediately be set upon by traps. So that's one more character to save their butts.

This all took us four hours because we barely knew how combat worked. At one point I just let the Half-elf Druid use thorn whip even though he needed a spell component. Whatever, he probably kept a piece of bramble on his person just in case. I let it slide this once. (The attack roll failed even after our 15 minute argument) The session ended right as they just barely passed the perception check to see the path to the goblins' base. The cleric had used both of his spell slots but they wanted to keep going anyways. All in all, a stain upon the honor every character but the fighter, who was a coward and a deserter in his backstory.

I love D&D.
>>
>>44501539
Put him in situations where he can't hide effectively.

Have the party fight on an open field. Have enemies ambush and surround the party from all sides. Have ranged enemies target him, since he can't remain hidden and attack at the same time.
>>
>>44501750
He have the Skulker feat.
>>
>>44501698
PHB, 203:

>A character can use a component pouch or a
spellcasting focus (found in chapter 5) in place of the components specified for a spell.

If he has either (and he should, a druidic focus is part of a druid's starting equipment) he doesn't need the material component.

...arguing 15 minutes over a twig and a cantrip...
>>
>>44501767
Which only keeps him hidden on a miss. If there's some faggot repeatedly popping out of a barrel and taking potshots at everyone, eventually someone's going to get pissed enough to break away to run up to him and knock the damn barrel over.

But the point is, give him situations every once in a while where he can't hide.

Alternatively, have NPCs react to his tactics in-character. He's deliberately allowing his allies to fight for him at the front while he sits at the back. What repercussions would that have, in-game?
>>
>>44501610
OK, so +1. 13PP maximum?

Roll a bunch of stealth checks against his passive perception; he fails, have a hobbit stab him in the balls from behind.
>>
>>44501902
Anon, the point is to put him in a situation that forces him to abandon his current tactics, not to fuck him over with no save. While his playstyle isn't exactly the most team-oriented, one could argue that it is logical, and may be in-character.
>>
>>44501888
We're an argumentative bunch. Thanks for the tip, though, I completely forgot he had a staff and skipped over that sentence in the rulebook.
>>
>>44502021
I never said give him no save. If I really wanted to play that game, I'd send a fucking shadow at him.

The DM should be asking him what he's doing on a turn by turn basis. If all he's doing is "hide and shoot," then he's not watching his own back.

He still has the passive perception, and most grunts aren't the sneakiest to begin with, so there's still a solid chance he'll see it coming. But when I DM, if the player is not actively looking around, then they don't get to roll for the opportunity to see anything.
>>
>>44501698
>requiring players to succeed on a roll to continue the quest

That's not good, DM-anon. What would you have done if they rolled too poorly? Tell them "you see nothing," and then wait for them to flail around in a featureless forest before you put them back on the railroad?

I wouldn't have required a roll, but I would have let them discover possibly a hidden entrance with their perception (if I wanted to give some sort of benefit for having brought a character who's good at perception, anyways). This would let them bypass the trapped entrance and go directly to some sort of less guarded entrance, or something. I don't know what your goblin cave is like.

Anyways, other than that, it sounds like you're on the right track. Best of luck, and don't be afraid of giving us your session recaps in the future!
>>
>>44502027

You shouldn't be allowed to DM, if you;

a) Didn't know that basic bit of spell casting (seriously, every spell casting class has the <insert magic type> focus outlined in their rules
b) Had a 15minute argument over it without either referencing the rulebook or making an executive call as DM
c) Seemingly paid enough attention to non-consumed spell components (which are largely there for fluff, rather than game design as all primary casters can have focii), but paid no attention to the actual rules aspect.

1 session in and you are "That GM".
>>
>>44502501
I'm using the Lost Mine of Phandelver module, so if they failed the roll they were supposed to continue on to the town they were supposed to meet their employer in. Honestly that wouldn't satisfy me, so I'd probably just let them notice the trail regardless.

Thanks for the feedback, though. I'll keep it in mind for the next time I DM. There's a lot more to it than I thought, isn't there?

Quick question though: how can I encourage my players to roleplay? We're on voice chat, and one of my players (the fighter) did a voice when asked, but the druid was too embarrassed to pretend to be someone else. I plan on inviting everyone to interact more in-character at our next session, but I'm worried they just won't do it. Does /tg/ have words of wisdom? I realize it will be a long process to get them to roleplay naturally, but I'd appreciate any advice you have to smooth the process out.

>>44502686
Here's another reason I shouldn't be allowed to DM: I've never played a tabletop roleplaying game before. (Although I've read a shit ton of stories on /tg/ so I knew generally what to expect.) No one else has any/much more experience than me, though, so we're all learning how to cast spells and do dice rolls. I was confused. They were confused. It wasn't an intense shouting match, we were flipping through the rulebook and trying to figure shit out. It's not that I was being an anal piece of shit, we legitimately have no clue how the game was played and tried our best to be within the rules while having fun. (I DID eventually just let it go, if you recall.) If you think fifteen minutes for that was bad, you should have seen our first perception check.

That wasn't clear, and I apologize for it, but I don't think your assessment is accurate.
>>
>>44502798
>If you think fifteen minutes for that was bad, you should have seen our first perception check

An important aspect to remember when you're DMing is that your job is to keep the game flowing.

General rule of thumb is that if you or the player can't immediately locate a rule in the books, you need to step up and make an executive decision. You can then look it up outside the game for future sessions.

Combat generally shouldn't be broken (especially over a cantrip - perhaps if it were a Power Word Kill on a BBEG it'd be worth quibbling) for debates. Unless the whole story hinges on the attack, follow the "rule of cool" unless there is something which it would break in doing so.

You're weaving a story - a lack of a bramble is somewhat anti-climatic, especially when fighting the cannon-fodder.
>>
>>44502798
>Quick question though: how can I encourage my players to roleplay? We're on voice chat, and one of my players (the fighter) did a voice when asked, but the druid was too embarrassed to pretend to be someone else. I plan on inviting everyone to interact more in-character at our next session, but I'm worried they just won't do it. Does /tg/ have words of wisdom? I realize it will be a long process to get them to roleplay naturally, but I'd appreciate any advice you have to smooth the process out.
Use voices yourself and have NPCs regularly engage them. Reward people who engage NPCs meaningfully with inspiration on a semi-regular basis.
>>
>>44502798
>>44503096

This guy knows what he's talking about. Something as simple as giving NPCs an accent, raising or lowering the pitch of your voice, adding some hand gestures or weird facial expressions if your players can see you, it all adds up. Can be difficult when there are no friendly NPCs about, but you even goblins shout stuff during combat.
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/december-2015-survey Fill out the survey you cocks.
>>
>>44502920
Thanks. At the time we were re-reading the rules for practically everything, so it made sense to do the same over a cantrip. There was no flow of combat to break up, so to speak. Part of the problem was that I didn't know what was important and what wasn't. You guys have helped me a lot with finding that perspective, and I think next time will be a lot more enjoyable. (Although we're all long-time friends in this group, so we can have fun even arguing over rules. Which we did, everyone was talking about how much they enjoyed it all night.)

So basically what I'm taking away from this is:

1. If you don't know a rule and you can't find it without breaking up the game, fudge it so everyone can keep playing. Then look it up later and apply it the next time you play. It's the DM's job to make decisions for the greater good.

2. Prioritize the game's flow over the rules

3. Don't lock plot advancement behind a roll, but do reward my players for good rolls.

>>44503096
>>44503164
Will do.
>>
>>44503219
Yep, this is good advice for any GM.

(also holy shit I wish more of my GMs knew number 3)
>>
my players want to bring in classes from pathfinder, while i bet there already are a shitload of homebrewed ports for it, how poorly balanced are they generally and is it a bad idea to start with?
>>
>>44503605
Which classes?
>>
>>44503605
It's more of a judgement call than anything else. Look over whatever homebrew he gives you and decide how to best handle it. Some you can tweak, some are balanced well enough, and some are too broken to fix.

Overall though, I usually avoid homebrew as much as possible in favor of refluffing abilities or finding ways to recreate a class with the materials already available.
>>
>>44500059
>If you want overpowered, look at the Ambuscade Ranger
Gonna second this. One of my players did the Ambuscade Ranger and while it IS a neat idea, it's just powerful as all fuck. That first round is a joke to almost any enemy the come across.
I really don't think they should let them have a skill to re-engage stealth in battle like that. They should at least have to suffer penalties for long-term damage for such a killer first-round.
But ah well.
I'm also a fan (in theory) of the Undying Light Warlock, so my opinion is probably null.
>>
>>44503614
gunslinger, witch, samurai, changing the monk to be more like the pathfinder one, all of these are just "speculation" from their part a.k.a, they havn't decided and it could be something completely different

>>44503742
problem is that i havn't dm'd pathfinder and only got very little experience from it and im fairly new as 5e dm

i might talk with them to port the entire game over pathfinder instead, with the problem that one of the players is playing a locksorc
>>
>>44503879
Quick clarification, are they interested in the mechanics of the samurai and witch or flavor because both can totally already just be done with 5E classes with a bit fluff changing. I assume mechanics because of what you said about monks but thought I should ask.
>>
>>44503879
>gunslinger, witch, samurai, changing the monk to be more like the pathfinder one,
- Battle Master with a gun
- Warlock
- Paladin (oath of the crown)/Banneret
- Monks are better relative to the system in 5e than in PF.
>>
>>44503922
mechanics i think

i think they are starting to feel "limited"/ been there/done that about 5e and want to mix it up

>>44504212
yeah, i'll try suggesting lightly homebrewing classes instead of porting, might be easier. because god knows they enjoy abusing anything they can
>>
So I'll be starting a new game in 5e soon, having never played this one before.
I want to roll a ranger but all my friends I'll play together with are saying they're shit here and I'd better roll something else.

My question is, are they this bad or just slightly worse, but still playable? They only seemed shit as far as the level 20(which we likely won't reach anyway) feature goes, but the rest looked good to acceptable. So, compared to other martials, would I at least not be dead weight, assuming average chances to use their nature skills?
>>
>>44499665
We'll be glad to help you out on questions, just follow some simple rules

1.) Look something up FIRST, if you don't find it:
2.) Ask WHERE a rule can be found
3.) After doing 1 and 2, ask a question to clarify the rule

Example:
Don't: How do I grapple?

Do: So I read the grapple rules and I am confused, is the check opposed by both athletics and acrobatics, or just one or the other? Who decides who uses what skill? Also, can it be used as part of an attack action or is it it's own separate action?
>>
>>44504387
Rangers are a lot better than people give them credit for, especially hunter rangers. You still get a fighting style, some of their spells are pretty good, and hunter ranger's additional fighting shit is pretty good.
>>
I'm playing my first serious campaign in two days. I've played a couple one-shot games, but this will be my first weekly campaign with my own character and everything. My DM told me to make a character sheet, and i did with his help. He then said I have a couple days to make a backstory, and make it as detailed as possible.

I uhhh kind of went overboard. I started writing out a google docs and now I have 6 paragraphs of stuff, and it kind of sounds like the intro to a pulp fantasy novel. If you were DM-ing and somebody handed you a long-ass backstory, would you hate it or no?

Should I pastebin it of anybody wants it? (I'm a noob character writer and I kinda ripped some ideas off from other sources with a little personal touch thrown in)
>>
>>44504845
My first character ever had a 4 page story. Our group was of 4 people, of which me and another one had ones of such size. DM included references to ours far more in the campaign then the other two characters, which is nice if you feel like roleplaying more.
For instance, two of our major enemies and thus, battles were characters we alluded but didn't develop in ours. A party my characters barely escaped from and a half-elf the othr payer thought was dead (since he was playing a racist elf, but only regarding half breeds).

I say go for it, if your GM is good he'll make use of it to add to his plot. If not, you'll at least better understand and justify your character and the motivations behind his actions.
>>
How do you depict your aberrations?
>>
>>44505043
That makes me feel better. The only other thing I'm concerned with is that I wrote a fairly serious character, and the setting is going to be kinda light-hearted and goofy. If the DM finds that it clashes, should I just bin this story for another campaign and write a new character? I kind of like this one how it is.
>>
>>44505056
As aberrant.
>>
>>44505185
That depends, see with your DM if you can see what the other characters will be like, so you have something to compare to.
There are many degrees of goofyness and seriousness, so it should be up to you to judge whether they'd fit there and in the party or not.
You could sum both your character and the setting here if you want a better opinion, but there's a huge difference between characters having fun shenanigans in brothels to applying cartoon physics and the like.
>>
Does anyone have that homebrew formatting template? I'd like to see it.
>>
I'm gonna try D&D using the starter set, but I've only managed to convince 2 friends to try it out with me.

Until we manage to convince others to join us, is it better to only use 1 PC per player or should I let them control 2 PCs each for balance?
>>
>>44505586
>2 PCs each for balance?
No.
Never.
What the fuck.
>>
>>44500018
>>44500029
>>44500029
Admittedly I completely ignored charr/ascalonian lore while I played the game, but I assume you'd go for ghosts and maybe animals that could survive a nuclear holocaust.
>>
File: 437690.jpg (210 KB, 800x842) Image search: [Google]
437690.jpg
210 KB, 800x842
Okay, so how do l effectively play a Kenshiro-like character?
l just want to WATATATA people and You're Already Dead'em
>>
>>44505796
open hand monk
>>
File: 1430168278575.jpg (169 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1430168278575.jpg
169 KB, 1280x720
>>44505056
As waifus.
>>
>>44505586
If they're new to the game, managing two characters and playing out both of their personalities can be too daunting. After all, they have to keep track of everything themselves.
Experienced players will also find it to be a pain in the ass. Even just two characters will likely result in players treating them like battle units rather than people, and RPing with oneself between your two characters would be lame as fuck.

Just adjust the game to suit two players, one character each.
>>
>>44505796
>>44505814
Speaking of monks, has anyone figured out a feat that lets a Monk spend ki points to deal ranged force damage?
>inb4 elements
Four Elements is too Avatar, I want a proper vacuum fist feat.
>>
>>44505941
>ranged force damage?
Sun soul monks can deal radiant damage at range starting at level 3. It's basically ki blasts.
>>
>>44505941
Sun monk gives you radiant ranged fists for free, which is very close.
>>
>>44504212
>>44503879

>Battle Master with a gun

having a player do this in my game. It's actually working out absurdly well. Starting out with refluffed crossbows, but he will eventually gain access to better guns as opposed to magic weapons
>>
>>44504386
Leaving 5e for Pathfinder is like fighting termites by burning the house down.
>>
>>44505862
Yeah, that's what I was worried about.

How do I adjust the starter set adventure to work for two players? Is halving the amount of Challenge in each combat encounter enough, or will that fuck up XP gain?
>>
>>44506089
halve the encounter challenge, ignore XP, tell them to level when appropriate.
>>
>>44505954
>>44505966
Thanks, but I still kinda wouldn't mind having it as a feat, Sun Soul doesn't add up with my character at all.
That and I feel like non-Shadow Monks need ranged options beyond shuriken or throwing knives
>>
>>44505987
Honestly, I've been treating firearms very similarly to wands in my game.
>>
>>44506089
More or less. Halve the challenge rating, most of the time just halve the number of enemies they would have fought. Don't worry about XP, just do it milestone style and say they level up after doing X thing.
>>
>>44505586

We almost went through the LMoP fine with the same setup as you. DM gave us Droop (a Goblin) and a Tiefling Sorceress as additional companions. I played Droop easily, who would only crouch behind my character in cities because of how he's never been to human towns before and would not do -that- much in dungeons either. DM controlled the Sorc companion. You should be fine.
>>
So i'm writing a totally underwater hexcrawl campaign, with races that belong underwater as well. Races are being generally reskinned from core.

I want to make Dwarves into Crabmen, what changes do you think could be appropriate?
>>
>>44506116
In that case either of the 2 feats let you learn a cantrip or be a High Elf. Unfortunately you will probably be stuck having to use Int or Cha as your stat for it.
>>
>>44506348
That they look like crabs now I guess. Honestly don't see what changes you can make to dwarves to be crabmen without just changing so much you might as well just make a new race from scratch rather than change an existing one.
>>
>>44506116
4e monk Fist of Unbroken Air
Sun Soul Monk
Cantrip Eldritch Blasts (dip/feat/high elf)

Those are pretty much your options
>>
>>44506510

Too much work, rather would mess around with minor things like weapon and tool proficiencies. I don't imagine much smithing goes on underwater unless there are particular air pockets and places where air is an the apmhibious crabmen smelt there.
>>
>>44506602
I imagine mining would be the more difficult task than smithing, as there is always undersea volcanic vents and the like they could use.
>>
>>44506639
Yes, but heat will travel much better in the water. You would need to operate like 10ft away from the forge.
>>
>>44506348
Klingons are crabmen. Do that.
>>
>>44506639
>>44507098

Should I just rule of cool it? Crabmen have a particular exclusivity with smelting and metalworking underwater?
>>
So I am a bit torn when it comes to more classes. Particularly an alchemist or something that can make magical items and potions etc. It's not like I want a blacksmith class so maybe it doesn't make sense but a lot of people seem to want it.
>>
>>44507219
I don't want alchemists or blacksmiths that much, but having a big expansion and explanation on artisan's tools would be nice.
>>
Is it too much to give bladelocks medium armor and shield proficiency? So that not every bladelock is a dwarf.
>>
What kind of level do you guys start your games at, and how do you have your players do ability scores? Does anyone actually start at level one? Do people prefer point buy? I'm interested to see how other people handle it.

I like powerful PCs, so the campaign I'm running at the moment had them starting at eighth level with rolled ability scores at 2d6+6 five times and a free 18.
>>
>>44507668
I'd prefer 3rd but my DM always does 1 and the group is used to that by now. If I actually did a campaign in my own setting I'd probably start at 3.
>>
>>44505369
Why can't you people ever check the op link?
>>
>>44507756
I hate your DM. This is why lvs 1-2 should have been renamed lx 0-0.5 or something. People see the 1 and assume that's regular starting level for every campaign...
>>
Has anyone here played with the Spell Point variant in the DMG? If you did, how did it go? I've been toying with the idea of switching over to that.
>>
>>44508139
It's the starting point for the official adventures as well outside of Rise of Tiamat for obvious reasons. Also don't hate my DM, he was as new to the system as us and we're still doing our first campaign, if that ended and we did a new 5e campaign I'd ask if we could start on higher level and discuss that.
>>
>>44504742
Hunter rangers just have the problem that their high level shit is mostly shit. Also, no melee rangers. Just stop trying. Around level 3-10, they're close enough to a fighter in combat effectiveness, and maybe you get to use spells or their improved skills sometimes. Better at low levels, and the only multiclass option that helps is rogue.
>>
>>44507668
Level 3 seems to be the universal starting point for not a first time groups. iirc devs actually said that 1 and 2 are just a ladder into full game for new player.

I for one always urge everyone to use a point buy, because mah level playing field and frontloading. Though i'm not happy with default point buy system, as it locks many race/class combination at +2 modifier at character creation. Thinking about extending both limits and just saying that your modified stat can't be above 17 at character creation, should help with MADs too.
>>
>>44506116
Other available monk ranged options are javelins and short bows, depending on the length of a ranged encounter and level. Wood elves even get longbows.
>>
>>44506430
Magic initiate Druid lets you produce flame, ya know.
>>
>>44508444
Fair enough, not played a druid so hadn't looked at their spells in details. Assumed it was utility spell only.
>>
>>44508320
You guys think they'd be viable if you could attack twice during both attacks? Assuming no feat, I'm not sure how an additional 1d6 + DEX + hunter's mark would stack against fighters.
>>
>>44508531
TWF works better for Rangers than Fighters, relatively, since they get bonus damage. Their spellcasting should be used to set them apart though, if not something more esoteric like animal companions. Trying to make them good by just fighting better is the wrong direction, imo. As it is, their spellcasting features are just awful. Worst list, worst way to know spells, and no synergy from their class features. There's a lot of room for improvement.
>>
>>44500009
It's not flavored as a pact with a celestial, and it really should be.
>>
File: 1[1].jpg (3 MB, 3205x3635) Image search: [Google]
1[1].jpg
3 MB, 3205x3635
The son of the King is ill and only a artefact can heal him.

The adventurers were sent to a temple in a forest of the elven kingdom, a temple of a old and forgotten god, a god that once represented life.

The adventurers belive that this temple is the temple of this life god, but it is actually a temple for both gods of the life and death.

The temple was corrupted and there is another group trying to find this artefact before the adventurers.

The question is: How should I populate this temple with monsters and stuff like that?

>Pic related

Btw: I know that this map is from a adventure of 4e.
>>
>>44508946
Mummies

lots of mummies

or skellies

what level are those chuckleheads
>>
>>44509035
They're 6 characters level 3
>>
>>44499021
>beer making kit
>no hydrometer
>gallon demijohn

I mean you could but that's a lot of effort to go through for an unpredictable fermentation and around six pints usable beer.
>>
>>44509105
>>44509035
Lots of ghouls, zombies, and skeletons with a single mummy or flaming skull in the treasure room.
>>
>>44509367
> shitty homebrew edition
I think the OP knew what he was going for.
>>
>>44509473
Ah, good point that man.
>>
Monsters from MM seems to be too easy to kill, is that right? How should I do to create a real sense of danger?
>>
>>44510238
interesting and dangerous terrain?

>cave with unstable sealing
>an ancient unsteady bridge
>active volcano

use XP budget and not CR
>>
>>44510238

more of them

10 shadows should be a hard but reasonable encounter
>>
>>44510238
This game is all about mob tactics. If you want something to seem dangerous, either give it x2 HP and Legendary Actions, or at least 4 of itself as backup. Something I learned the hard way.

>Only have 2 players tonight
>Decide to throw a tough encounter at them to foreshadow a later encounter
>Make a short scenario, let them both be at level 15 with a handful or so of magic items
>Pick out a CR 17 as the final enemy encounter
>Even though they should have been outclassed, they wind up two-rounding him

Would have been even worse if the sorcerer stuck around. The hardest part of the encounter was when I put 12 CR 2s at them, and even then...
>>
>>44510269
>use XP budget and not CR
I don't understand this stupid meme.

You use both. CR to not one-shot the party (don't put them against a CR higher than their average level), XP based on CR for encounter building.
>>
>>44510238
Battle tactics and terrain that benefits the enemy can make a world of difference.

>>44510269 has some solid suggestions.

>Some enemies act as meat shields in a narrow hall while the back line uses ranged and reach attacks to poke the party.
>enemies poke around a corner and attack and then duck back to avoid return damage.

monsters usually also have a section in their description that lists some strategies they may use in battle.
>>
File: Witch5eHomebrew.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Witch5eHomebrew.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44499021

Just finished a homebrew for a Witch class tonight. Definitely looking for feedback to help balance what's there. Here to answer questions, hit me /toughguys/.
>>
>>44510302
A single creature will always get mobbed by PCs. I'm running a game with 6 players who were, I think, level 8 when they first encountered the recurring CR17 death knight that's harrying them for carrying its master's phylactery. They murdered him in, like, two rounds. A bit later on, the now level 9 party encounters that same death knight but this time with five CR3 buddies, including a pair of spellcasters. They survived by the skin of their teeth through clever tactics and a fighting retreat.
>>
>>44511143
That's funny, because I was using the stats of the Death Knight reworded as a demon. Funny that you had the same situation.

Yeah, I'm actually replanning a fight that they're meant to go up against later as it's just one guy.

I wish the CR/XP budget wasn't fucked. I looked up the XP budget based on what >>44510429
>>44510269
had said.

>Two 15th level characters should meet a deadly challenge at 12,800xp.
>Two-round an 18,000xp monster with hardly a scratch to show for it.

Fuck off with XP budgets.
>>
>>44511046
Can we see it?
>>
>>44511457
It's a pdf. Just click the image to see the full pdf.
>>
>>44511539
Oh whoops! Didn't even notice the extension!
>>
>>44511046
Nice!

How the fuck did you make it so pretty?
>>
>>44511679

Photoshop. WotC used a lot of watercolor style brushes, which is one of the easier brush sets to find and mimic.

The art is mostly by a deviant art user named aditya777 and Leos Ng Okita. I wish I had drawfag skills.
>>
>>44503219
Personally, I make an ad hoc call on the spot while asking one of the players who isn't acting yet to look up the rule in question.

But all of my players know how to navigate a rulebook.
>>
>>44505056

Usually as disgusting things, with a few detail to set the tone, just to let the players imagination go wild. For example, describing the sounds, smells and looks of a creature as those of a "festering wound made alive".
>>
>>44511046
Under the equipment section change the word back pack into background.

Instead of choosing a familiar from the witch familiar list, which there isn't one in your write up, perhaps change it into a warlock familiar list.
>>
>>44511046
No comments on the mechanics, but proofreading a little more thoroughly would probably be a good idea.
>>
I've got what I think is a fun idea for a warlock patron that would hopefully capture what I love most about witchcraft.

Witches get power from other mortals. Specifically, they get power in bargaining people, and striking the right bargain lets them accomplish unusually strong magical effects. Their patron relationship is just another bargain between them and a higher level witch, who wants to teach them the craft.
>>
HOLY SHIT THE ANDROID CHARACTER CREATOR CAME BACK! GUYS I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!
>>
>>44511988

Meant to put warlock! Yikes, good catch.

>>44512109

You're right, this is definitely a rough draft.
>>
File: 1401686905359.png (13 KB, 341x291) Image search: [Google]
1401686905359.png
13 KB, 341x291
>>44512113

>Specifically, they get power in bargaining people
>>
>>44512146
what's the name of it?
>>
>>44511046
Your table is missing spells known, it only has cantrips.The ability for an incantation to extend the duration of a concentration spell to 'forever' at the expense of the casters action isn't exactly overpowered, but could break spell economy, and is also not exactly exciting. I'd think if something else, like enhancing or altering spells that jabd a concentration duration, similar to metamagic with sorcery points.
>>
>>44512231
Literally just Fifth Edition Character Sheet. I was using it before, and it was the popular choice at my table, but for some reason, it vanished off of the android store like 6 months ago. It's the one with the green d20 for the logo
>>
File: tmb_456x322_frog_facilier[1].jpg (28 KB, 456x322) Image search: [Google]
tmb_456x322_frog_facilier[1].jpg
28 KB, 456x322
>>44512190
Exactly.

Think Evil Jews of myth, or pic related. I want a warlock option that's focused on striking bargains in social situations, that result in magical effects, and in combat is about cursing (with mechanically and tactically interesting spells), more so than eldritch blast.
>>
>>44512311
I could dig it. Warlocks are already really charismatic so it should work out very well.
>>
>>44512311
That's not how Facilier worked. He's a Feylock, full stop.

His bargain was with the friends on the other side. His "deal" with Naveen and the fat guy was strictly for the purpose of acquiring a bargaining chip to keep his powers and his freedom.

Also a bad example for 2 reasons:
- couldn't use his powers to directly benefit himself, which, you know, invocations.
- got dragged screaming into a hell dimension for failure to pay up. This would absolutely be That DM territory.
>>
>>44512282

well shit. Fixed already.
>>
>>44512287
Has players using their phones/tablets for char sheets ever led to players dicking around on their phones during play? I could see it being useful for a DM to check/update player's sheets, but seems cumbersome for use during play.
>>
>>44512509
That just really depends on the player. Usually, if they have a tablet open, it's JUST for the character creator. Laptops are another matter though. If I see a laptop, that's too easy ot multitask on, and I ask them to shut it down. Phones are about 50/50.
>>
>>44511046
Ok so here's a few concerns:
>Incantation is straight overpowered when used with certain spells. A paladin who dipped witch could sustain an Aura of Vitality infinitely for example. Might want to limit this effect to specifically warlock spells. I love the idea though because stuff like an extended "sleep" spell are great flavor-wise.
>Damage reduction doesn't really exist anymore, give them resistance instead
>Prophecy needs some way to be resisted even if it's just initially, otherwise it's a straight up boss killer.
>Familiar's quite broken, I'd just stick with making it a mure durable Find Familiar spell
>Advanced Herbalism is cool but also flat out broken, this is becoming a "better sorcerer" class
>>
>>44511988
>warlock familiar list.
There's no Warlock Familiar List, either.
>>
>>44512501
You've contradicted yourself (he's a feylock full stop, but here's why he isn't actually a warlock), and you're taking him as an example too literally.

Also you're disregarding what he's based upon. His character is a practitioner of louisiana voodoo. His friends on the other side very well could be a prominent voodoo practitioner who died. As an example, people still pray to the spirit of Marie Laveau today (though it's unlikely that marie is one of his friends).

You have some good points about venturing into that DM territory if you take him as an example too literally, but I think that's true of all warlock pacts. If your player screws the fey or a demon out of a deal, there should be some retaliation, but it's up to the DM to moderate it and keep it fun.
>>
>>44512595

The suggestions to limit the Incantation to warlock spells is good, I think I might implement that. I think I'd swap to find familiar more for the earlier concern of spell economy.

My idea behind prophecy is that you literally couldn't do anything else, and if you got attacked and lost concentration, you'd lose one of your, at most, 5 per day. Does that not seem balanced enough? I figured the Improved Prophecy would make Witches eat up their allotment on skill checks, therefore it'd need to be useful in combat.
>>
>>44512595
>>44512952

Me again.

Changed the DR to resistance, good call.
Changed Incantation to Warlock spells, good call, didn't think about multiclass breaking.
Changed Familiar to Find Familiar, good call.

I can see how Prophecy seems OP because there isn't a save, but I think the fact that you can only cast it so often balances it. Any Witch that plays Hoard of the Dragon Queen would be out of cants within 3 fights at the first level. And even at level 20 you can only get 5 per day.

Advanced Herbalism, I can see how stockpiling free spells can seem broken. In my head, having to get within 15 feet being an AC14 and 1d6 caster puts you in a big "uh-oh" moment.

I don't want to put a cap on how many you can create, because that's the point of grinding to powder, it lasts.
>>
>>44512624
Well I didn't know. I know that warlocks can get familiars but since I never played one I didn't read the warlock section.
>>
>>44513189
Given that you're pulling so heavily from the warlock spell and feature lists, you really ought to consider being thorough.
>>
>>44513284

That wasn't me, bud. That was some other guy making that suggestion and talking about warlock familiars.

Plus, I already threw in the above post I swapped it to Find Familiar. It's all good.
>>
>>44512952
It's a great idea, problem is just that the DM can never make a boss monster without it having disadvantage towards all of its attacks. It's balanced in that the witch can't do anything else, but the fact that it's guaranteed to work every time it's used so you'll just have the player saying "I chant" every boss fight.

Other solutions would have it be mind-effecting for the sake of immunities, make it dispel-able, or to make it so the boss doesn't have disadvantage when attacking the witch (who might I add, has a decent AC and can be concentrating on a spell like Blur).

>>44513167
>having to get within 15 feet
I was thinking of this more like a free "stockpile on however many buff/special effect spells that you like" kind of problem. An idea off of the top of my head is misty step for anyone in the party whenever they want. If you don't have to concentrate on spells cast this way either than there's tons more room for abuse. If you want it used offensively, instead limit it to "a spell that deals damage".
>>
>>44513358

>Prophecy
I could add the stipulation that you can't cast in on any creatures with more HD than your caster level?

>Herbalism
Maybe say that you can't create any mixture with a casting range of self?
>>
>>44513447
Those both sound perfect. Might want to make it more HD than your character level instead of caster level, that way people multiclassing won't lose out on a core feature. Maybe even allow someone to expend multiple uses to raise the HD limit appropriately.
>>
>>44513535

I think I like Caster level, actually, rewarding people for leveling with Witch. That way a 12th Level monk who dipped once into Which couldn't start Prophecizing on crazy monsters immediately.

Changed herbalism to self, I think that stops the buff-stockpile issue.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to read through and give feedback. Oddly enough, I've found more help with this shit on /tg/ than any forum or facebook page.
>>
>>44513447
>>44513535
HD doesn't mean anything in 5e. Monsters have arbitrary HP with HD applied after.

>>44511046
A standard action is not a thing.

Skill checks aren't a thing. They're called ability checks, with skills giving creatures the chance to add their proficiency bonus on it.

The formatting is pretty bad and you shouldn't have bothered with gussying it up at all before you had all the crunch down pat. The formatting also makes it nearly impossible to tell the traditions apart.

The fluff of the witch overlaps with wizards and warlocks to the point where they'd serve better as wizard schools or warlock patron/pact options.
>>
>>44507269
>>44507219
I want to see an expansion of crafting systems and more specifics on what the tools can do, but not have it as some intrinsic class feature. It's in contrast between what I'd want in a video game, where crafting as a core class feature could be interesting.

The current little Crafting section could really use some fleshing out and a bit of tweaks. The "5GP limit per day" thing comes off as a purely arbitrary game mechanic to prevent making lots of money quickly (even though money is often pretty easy to come by) and that limit doesn't really adhere to a believable time/effort metric depending on most things being made.
>>
>>44501539
Monsters ready an action to spank him if he pops out of hiding
>>
>>44513647

Incantation and Prophecy aren't different enough to warrant a distinct class? What are you considering fluff?

Not being defensive here. Honestly asking.
>>
>>44513284
Wrong guy nig nog.

I'm >>44511988
>>
>>44513647

>action and not standard action
>ability check and not skill check

Easy fixes. Same thing, different name. Sure, you don't put skills in one, but as with the function of Prophecy it'd work out just the same.

I agree, I'll work with the text to help format up the Heritages to be more distinct. It is, after all, a rough draft.
>>
>>44506348
+2 Con, +1 Str
+1 AC when unarmored
Can use a bonus action to grapple with claw
Swim 30ft
Breathe underwater
Speak Common, Crabman
>>
>>44513851

>crabman
>not scuttletongue
>>
>>44513728
>Incantation
So it's a way of extending duration spells?

Duration spells in combat have a duration of 1 minute usually, so they'd pretty much never use it.

Duration spells out of combat means they'll be extending invisibility and fly and not much else.

And the save DC to maintain it is higher than concentration checks are, so there's not even a benefit to that.

Fluff-wise it sounds like something a bard archetype should have.

>Prophecy
You can apply advantage and disadvantage without a save? The no-save bit is cool, but casters already have ways of doing advantage/disadvantage in larger scales: faerie fire, anything that gives the restrained condition like web, anything that knocks creatures prone, and so on.

Divination wizards already do this better in fluff and mechanics, though apparently witches can get their ability, too.

The Witch here has too few base features and too little unique fluff to be worth a full class.
>>
File: Ika wondering.gif (1 MB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
Ika wondering.gif
1 MB, 500x282
>>44512287
>Decide to try it out, free so whatever
>Open it up, has character creator
>Choose halfling
>Gives me choices for subrace
>Stout
>Lightfoot
>Ghastly

W-what? Did I miss an Unearthed Arcana?
>>
>>44513954
SCAG has Ghostwise halflings that have telepathy.
>>
File: Adorable.jpg (436 KB, 1280x1444) Image search: [Google]
Adorable.jpg
436 KB, 1280x1444
>>44513969
Oh, duh, didn't even THINK about looking in there.

My fault for my raging hate boner against FR, I suppose.

Thanks friend.
>>
>>44511046
...OK, you have huge issues with formatting, and you need to RTFM, like twice.

You reference rules that don't exist in this edition (like damage reduction) and then try to invent mechanics that ALREADY EXIST like concentration on propechy. Just turn it into a witch only spell that they can cast at will, with concentration.
You also create several abilities which are just casting spells, which could be referenced much easier. Magic Weapon and Speak With Dead exist man. So does fly and a bunch of other stuff.
Also you have not created a new spell list for this class (or spells). There is a reason that every spellcaster that doesn't have his own list is just a subclass. That is what this deserves to be at best. A warlock of the Coven Pact.

Finally, balance wise the shall is busted AF. You get as much AC as fighter in full plate with a shield, or a max stat monk for FREE. On top of that they get all sorts of extra bonus crap. Compare this ability to sorcerers Draconic Resilience (AC 13+dex, +1hp per level). Your ability is LEAGUES better. Even if you just made it casting Mage Armor at will with all the bonus stuff it would still be leagues better.

I haven't referenced everything wrong with your class, but you should probably restart from scratch with am archetype for warlock. If you want to stick with this thing as is, then please, do as I said at first at list. Read the manual again. All the way through. Twice.
>>
>>44514237

TBF if you're a level 18 fighter and your AC is only 20 your DM sucks at rewarding you with magic items.
>>
>>44514237
this is right
homebrew always sucks
>>
Is there a sort of template for making homebrew stuff that visually matches what's in the PHB?

I've seen some floating around so I assume there's at least a blank page kind of thing floating around.
>>
>>44514316
Gonna need more than your shitty homebrew to make the fact that you didn't read the book disappear.
>>
>>44514363
It's tutorial/template for photoshop. It's on reddit some where.
>>
>>44514363
No. There's a font, and there's a background. 30 seconds of Googling will get you both.
>>
>>44514363
>>44514411
>>44514426
You could also just not bother. Making it look like the PHB isn't going to make your shitty homebrew any more official.
>>
What's the absolute worst thing about Warlocks?
>>
>>44514454
I just want it to look nice for my players.

Considering nobody's even satisfied with the base material, I'd never put homebrewed material online.
>>
>>44514404

I mean, you keep saying that, but your fun little acronym isn't really an argument. I'm definitely willing to hear you out, but be a little more fleshed out.

an AC of 14 for the first 6 levels as a caster isn't that broken. In fact, it's directly in line with what a Sorc or Wizard could have. I specifically wrote in that you CAN'T add your dex to your Shawl, so I think your comment about being better than even a max stat monk is off base. Even a stat array dex monk would be better than the Shawl.

Also, spells as class abilities isn't new in the WotC world. If you're citing that as a problem, I would imagine you don't like Pathfinder at all.

The DR stuff is fine, I already fixed it. I'm a recent convert from PF to 5e so yeah, there will be some mistakes, but I never pretended this wasn't a rough draft.

>You reference rules that don't exist in this edition (like damage reduction) and then try to invent mechanics that ALREADY EXIST like concentration on propechy. Just turn it into a witch only spell that they can cast at will, with concentration.

by that Logic, all of bardic inspiration is just a big fluffed version of Guidance.
As I said, totally willing to listen to your advice, provided it's advice and not just trying to sound like the snarky cool kid on 4chan.
>>
>>44514533

I made that Witch thing above with a font pack and some watercolor brushes. It's pretty easy.
>>
>>44512146
Shill pls go
>>
>>44514455
The fact that you only get at best 8 spells before you short rest and 4 afterwards a day sorta sucks hard. Also their archetypes are all quite lackluster. I don't hate them by any means but they are a lot more flavor and possible utility than combat.
>>
>>44514547
not him
but
just stop, please, no such thing as good homebrew
>>
File: witch_by_regourso-d9bj0o1.jpg (204 KB, 773x1000) Image search: [Google]
witch_by_regourso-d9bj0o1.jpg
204 KB, 773x1000
also here's a cool witch
>>
>>44514547
>I would imagine you don't like Pathfinder at all.
...Which is why this isn't >>>/pfg/.

Jesus Christ, get the fuck out.
>>
>>44514638
Well aren't you a bundle of joy.
I mean you're not exactly wrong but there's no reason homebrew shouldn't be a thing, nor should it not try to be improved upon.

I mean, half of the time it's for flavor and fun.[/spoilier]

That said, being highly defensive of homebrew is shitty. Just take what people say and ask further clarification if needed, yo.
>>
>>44514845
we've put up with awful homebrew since 5e launched, it's never gotten better and it clogs up the thread
just refluff or play something else
>>
File: smug.gif (925 KB, 540x677) Image search: [Google]
smug.gif
925 KB, 540x677
>>44514952
No.
>>
>>44515001
someday, after enough anime has been posted and enough threads have been killed, you will learn
>>
>>44511046
Divinations doesn't have a level associated with it in its description.
>>
>>44514952
Ah, I guess that's fair.
Still, I think it's okay to be like, "What do you guys think?" every once in a while. The back and forth is irritating, though.

...I might just be saying this because I want to make a bunch of homebrewed races, though.
>>
File: ;3.gif (530 KB, 500x550) Image search: [Google]
;3.gif
530 KB, 500x550
>>44514845
>>44514547
I'm not those other guys, but I have to agree, most homebrew stuff we've seen has been god awful, usually from someone who sees a problem that doesn't exist or wants to fill a niche that doesn't really need filling and it just winds up kind of a disaster.

I would honestly recommend reading through the Dungeon Master's Guide at the bare minimum, specifically the chapter on creating a new class. Then I would also recommending reading the class, and maybe actually playing about 40 hours worth of game before attempting to homebrew again. It gives you a better idea of how the game winds up working out.

I mean, we don't want a situation again where 40 people read the PHB, decide that this is "caster edition" again, and then proceed to buff the shit out of champion fighter not realizing he's one of the highest damage dealers in the entire game.

>Durr hurr, fighter doesn't get enough, let's let him add proficiency to all of his attacks, duuurrrr
>>
>>44510238
I've found the exact opposite, and most monsters are incredibly lethal.
>>
>>44510238
Depends on how strict you are with combat rules.
Beyond that, giving the PCs just one big bad will always result in one party getting beaten to a bloody pulp.

Players have a harder time with lots of creatures at once, or more custom designed obstacles with a large monster.

Typically I operate in mobs or a big boss that has some sort of timer/consistent AoE that chips at them in addition to the monster itself.
>>
>>44515166
Please describe your sessions and how you plan them. I'm having problems killing my players.
>>
>>44515215
>I'm having problems killing my players.
You should try a gun or knife, those tends to be fairly efficient tools for the job.
>>
>>44515232
reddit
>>
>>44513851
>>44513861
Love the language of Scuttletongue, but much of those changes are quite drastic. I'm looking more specifically for minor changes, like proficiencies. Might use the +1 AC when unarmored for the Mountain Dwarf variant instead of proficiency in light and medium armor?
>>
>>44515367
Do you want a dwarf or a crabperson

Just make your own crab race
>>
>>44514952
I want to see more well built custom monsters. Why don't people post those more often?
>>
File: snow leopard tonuge.jpg (242 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
snow leopard tonuge.jpg
242 KB, 640x427
>>44515411
The same reason people don't post homebrew adventures: no one cares about shit that's not for players.
>>
>>44515404
Making my own race is the last resort, as I worry about balance and when I start making up new shit that can happen.

I was a superficial dwarf wearing the skin of a crabperson.
>>
File: aqABe53.png (5 MB, 1736x1773) Image search: [Google]
aqABe53.png
5 MB, 1736x1773
>>44515411
Agreed.
>>
>>44515411
>>44515496
samefag
>>
>>44515544
Projecting
>>
File: Metal Slime.png (173 KB, 894x681) Image search: [Google]
Metal Slime.png
173 KB, 894x681
>>44515411
Usually because I just reuse other stat blocks.

Here's a custom one that drives the players crazy.
>>
>>44515741

This is pure evil, also crooked poker.
>>
>>44503164
>>44502798

You could also try letting them use text. It's probably easier to roleplay via text than through voice.
>>
>>44511046
So I lost my original list of stuff so I'll just summarize.

Page 2, 5 and 8 have issues with edges on textures or images, the textures fixed easily by just using the PHB page background.
The 2nd page image is in a different style than the rest of the document and official content, I'd suggest a different image like one of the paizo ones. Background is obviously a photoshop filter to anyone who has seen it, not sure if you need a background there.
Everything is blurry and the pages have white borders, not sure how you managed either with Photoshop. Never use too small images, always export directly from the program, and work in the size and dpi the final will be in.
Reusing the cover image is questionable.
The image on page 4 isn't very nice IMO, try to go for a more professional look by looking for art by professional artists rather than amateur hobby artists, found in great numbers on deviantart for example. Stuff like
Ruan Jia www.ruanjia.com/
Tianhua Xu https://www.artstation.com/artist/tianhuaxu
Magdalena Radziej https://www.artstation.com/artist/harpiya
Steven Belledin http://www.stevenbelledin.com/gallery/
Fenghua Zhong https://www.artstation.com/artist/fenghuazhong
>>
>>44516326
>This is pure evil
Isn't it though? When I put this in front of my players, they were completely confused, then horrified that it ran 100ft, then I read the stat block out to them, especially the XP part, and then they went APE SHIT.

I can't wait for them to run into more.
>>
Hey /tg/ I'm rolling up a druid for the first time, what should the priority of my stats be. I'm assuming wisdom and con
>>
File: 5e Minor Alchemy.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
5e Minor Alchemy.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I was pleasantly surprised how much use I got out of Minor Alchemy, the Transmutation wizard's level 2 ability. I created a small pdf about what you can do per RAW.

Anyone else got any fun ideas?
>>
>>44517128
Wisdom is the only one you depend on, Dex for initiative and rarely AC/save, Con for hp and rarely save. Con saves are more important to be good at since it could make you unable to wild shape or stick when you transform, but initiative is also very good for obvious reasons. Cha/Int for roleplaying which if you don't have a combat heavy campaign could prove very useful.
>>
>>44517141
You could transmute a large block of silver or something into stone, then use Stone Shape to make it into anything you can visualize, then revert it back. No need to even craft anything once you get skilled enough with magic.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.