[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plot Twist Thread!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: vizzini.jpg (25 KB, 294x271) Image search: [Google]
vizzini.jpg
25 KB, 294x271
>The royal archmage can't actually perform any magic. He just maxed out his Bluff and now he's in way over his head.

>The dragon was keeping the kingdom safe from the princess' sorcerous sadism.

>The evil king was well-meaning all along, he was just betrayed by his ministers. Turns out he IS actually evil though, but prioritizes his subjects anyway.
>>
>>34780215
>The princess actually fell in love with the dragon and went off to elope with him in his giant tower!
>>
File: 3rnvk6.jpg (70 KB, 577x396) Image search: [Google]
3rnvk6.jpg
70 KB, 577x396
>The local crime boss is actually the secret benefactor of the local orphanages, and only commits crime to fund them.
>>
>all clerics in the world are actually wizards pretending to have godly powers
>>
>The god of lawful good is just that, the god OF lawful good. in reality they ARE lawful evil. ... Don't think too hard about it.
>>
>>34780330
That's about to become my Pathfinder game
>>
>>34780356
BRB, stealing this and building an entire setting around it.

>The demon summoned by the evil wizard is actually God. Not any god, but the original big kahuna who created everything. He got deposed and the new pantheon wrote the history books. He's understandably pissed off about it.
>>
>the Necromancer Lord can't actually raise the dead. It's all done with imitation wooden skeletons on wires and hobos wearing sheets with spooky faces drawn on.
>>
>>34780215

> The police arrest everyone right at the pivotal moment when battle is about to be joined.
>>
>>34780596
Monty Python already did that bit.
>>
File: 1401794386747.jpg (185 KB, 768x820) Image search: [Google]
1401794386747.jpg
185 KB, 768x820
>The dog was the mastermind the whole time

DM's done it twice now. I'm pretty tempted to just start killing dogs whenever they show up.
>>
>>34780330
I read this web comic that had this. It was really fucking stupid.
>>
>the dragon was really seven bears wearing lizard skins
>>
Elves don't exist, they're actually all gnomes wearing stilts with ear prosthetics m
>>
>the BBEG is two children standing on eachother's shoulders dressed in costume
this does nothing to affect their ability to do everything they've been doing as villain(s)
>>
>>34780753
... and gnomes don't exist. They are just regular sized dudes standing in a hole.
>>
>your Dark Heresy game is revealed to be taking place in a Dyson sphere-based simulator in a post-human setting four billion years into the future, in a dream dreamt by Elminster
>>
>>34780746
>>34780753
>>34780778
you guys...
>>
>>34780215
>The Party Paladin was the evil wizard the whole time.

>The Chaos gods serve the Emperor. He is really fine Horus is on the Golden Throne...
>>
>The princess is actually the dragon
>The entire royal family is actually dragons
>The entire quest was to find her a proper suitor

She doesn't like doing it in dragon form.
>>
>Druids consider the cities of advanced races to be as natural as a bird's nest or a beaver's dam, and actively promote their construction and development.
>>
>>34780872
>the lush, temperate wildernesses are revealed to be artificial creations of an ancient evil race who completely replaced the original ecosytsem. Good-aligned druids seek to burn down every last tree and uproot every last flower to restore the lands to their natural state.
>>
Kobolds are actually just illusions created by Dragons to provide flavor for their lairs. You didn't think any of those crazy traps could actually function for real, did you?
>>
>>34780917

>The planet is actually a ringworld.
>Druids are caretakers of the facility's many mechanical/synthetic parts.
>>
>>34780806
I might propose this to local GMs
>>
>werewolves aren't killing the villaigers it is just a large badger
>>
>>34780529
>BRB, stealing this and building an entire setting around it.
You mean you're making Demon's Souls campaign?
>>
>>34780960

If I ever get to play in Planescape I'm stealing that for a Warforged Druid.
>>
Blackleaf actually made her saving throw vs. Poison, the DM was just pissed that she stole her demon boyfriend at the last black mass and lied to her.
>>
>The bearded knights of st. augustus are wearing fake beards.
>>
>>34780971
>Giant Badger has become enraged!
>>
>the pretender was actually the rightful heir all along

>the random guy who's been leading you is actually the BBEG

>the village actually manages to fight off the invasions while you're collecting twenty cow patties

>upload failed

>exasperated flintstone.jpg
>>
>Magic is technology, gods are TV producers, the whole planet is reality shows filming stage.
>>
>The government were the good guys all along, and the scrappy rebellion are evil.
>>
>>34780215
>The Werewolf uses the portal to open a gateway to the moon
>The moon is actually his own eye from the future, when he becomes god of werewolves and then goes back in time to create werewolves, killing himself and hanging his eye in the sky as a consequence.

https://archive.moe/tg/thread/34763413/#q34763413
>>
All gold pieces are actually spiders
>>
>the only difference between the kingdoms religion and the secret cult you are sent to find and destroy is they go to church on saturday instead of sunday
>>
>the werebear was just two small bears wearing a bear outfit and a Ronald Reagan mask
>>
The skeleton mage is just a regular living skeleton.
>>
>>34781020
> AND ARE WOMEN
>>
>dragons supposedly don't exist
>entire campaign is to slay a mythical dragon and claim its tooth
>turns out they don't exist after all
>>
>>34781001
The Dm was Jesus all along.
>>
>>34781125
Fuck you and your couch.
>>
>>34780917
Humans are just animals, if Druids hate humans for destroying the environment they must hate all animals.

The druids in this setting go about slaughtering all forms of live other than plant. They must be stopped by your party at all costs!
>>
>>34781141
Kek
>>
Whoever touches the ancient sword of destiny is transformed into a gay.

You discover this fact too late.
>>
>>34780215
M. Night Shyamalan was Keyser Soze the whole time.
>>
>>34781227
A gay what?
>>
>>34780595
I actually did that once.
A demon summoner and a necromancer were terrorizing the village - turned out that undead were skeleton-shaped golems and demons were illusions..
>>
>Turns out the dragon was kidnapped by the princess and was used as a sacrifice so the princess can become a dragon.

>The evil guy roaming between towns under the radar was really just a door-to-door salesman.

>The necromancer on the hill isn't a necromancer, he just did his Halloween decorations really well one year

>The king is actually just a homeless guy who killed the mayor. Also, nobody ever remembers voting for the mayor.

>No, you are the end of the world
>>
File: 1402519350831.jpg (77 KB, 800x530) Image search: [Google]
1402519350831.jpg
77 KB, 800x530
>>34781251
whatever they were, only gayerer
>>
>>34781227
What if a gay touches the ancient sword of destiny? Do they become a turbo gay? What happens if a turbo gay touches it? Do they become an ultra-mega-floats-around-in-the-air gayfag?
>>
>>34780215
>the Baron and Vizier aren't evil, they just hold the titles of Baron and Vizier, which makes people suspicious
>>
>>34780299
This isn't a ASOIAF thread.
>>
>>34781251

An elf.
>>
>the strange cowled figure who approached your party out of the blue several times to give you strange cryptic hints was really just a Gnome playing pranks on you, and the cryptic hints were actually meaningless
>>
>>34781362
They become [Spoiler]Omega Gay[/Spoiler]
>>
In a campaign I'm running currently.

>Emperor imposes complete and total law, meaning that even he is subjected to it.

>his lover is killed gruesomely.

>Hires out of town adventures to be the detectives, because he knows they'll be the people the least cowed by him and his position.

>PCs discover emperor was the murderer.

>Emperor surrenders, and is executed for the crime of murder.

>Emperor arranged it to establish that in his country, there is absolute law, and no privilege.

>Reincarnates and runs off with his now reincarnated lover.

>PCs are now the CSI unit in a D&D setting.
>>
>>34781504
>the Gnome prankster was really seven bears in a coat with a fake beard
>>
>>34781515
>Reincarnates
hope he didn't come back as a kobold
>>
>>34781604
Halfling female.

His lover came back as an orc male.

I let the PCs roll for it without them knowing.
>>
File: disquieting.png (747 KB, 580x771) Image search: [Google]
disquieting.png
747 KB, 580x771
> turns out the murdered villagers weren't torn apart by werewolves but instead an old blind blink dog had accidentally telefragged a few folks as he was passing through
> the howling the other villagers overheard was Blink Dog for 'excuse me, pardon me'
>>
>The entire campaign is just 6 kids running around in cardboard clothes in the park.
>The kingdom's castle is the big modern jungle gym.
>The dragon's lair is the old, barebones jungle gym.
>The fountains of Knowledge, Youth, and Love are the water fountains on the east side of the park.
>The BBEG is the older sister of one of the kids and her boyfriend/babysitter.
>>
>>34781629
>ccidentally telefragged

My sides are in the Oort cloud
>>
>>34780215
Bruce Willis was a sled named Soze the entire time.
>>
File: plot twist.gif (1001 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
plot twist.gif
1001 KB, 320x240
>>
File: This Amuses The Dalai Lama.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
This Amuses The Dalai Lama.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>34781888
Every time, without fail.
>>
>>34781084

My PCs put way too much trust in NPCs that offer even the slightest hint of help. I think subconsciously or not they're meta gaming;
"Why would this NPC be offering help if the DM didn't want us to take it?"

Betraying the party is a good, believable way to break this spell.

Here's my contribution:
>the BBEG is fucking the world because when the tru-Evil turns up, only a population of the strongest and bravest can possibly offer resistance
>the BBEG, seeing the epic-level potential of the PCs has been training them for the Ragnarok by goading them on more and more outlandish and dangerous adventures
>>
File: 1355089525572.png (352 KB, 700x990) Image search: [Google]
1355089525572.png
352 KB, 700x990
>The Deathcult you're investigating is actually an Order of Clerics willing to serve the greater good even after death
>The "Hell House" "Marred with the bones of the damned" is actually a Large monastery built over the entrance to an ancient burial ground
>You're greeted by a rather jovial man who happily explains everything
>their faith is so strong that when their skeletons are animated (not zombies for obvious hygiene reasons) they channel positive energy like some crazy nega-skellingtons
>These Skelrics follow the living Clerics as they travel from town to town to be used as healing dispensaries and only retain an echo of their former beings personality
>The old man who sent you assumed you would just kill them all because "They're fecking evil!"
>He's actually just bitter he was never allowed to join their order when he was young
I just love the idea of non evil or sentient skeletons
>>
Dick GM plot twist Tier:
>The PCs were asleep the whole time
>>
>The BBEG is actually hunting down humanity and forcing them to live in squalor so that they don't get strong enough to merit the attention of aliens.
>>
>>34782048
>the PCs were playing a VR game the whole time: TIME FOR SCI-FI
>>
>>34781629

How does Blink Dog language work?
How does one learn to speak Blink Dog?
>>
>>34781680
D&Disney: Recess PHB 1
>>
>>34780215
>The evil was inside of you all along
>>
>>34782139
>After killing all of those skeletons you realize you have a skeleton inside of you right now
>>
>>34782088
>implying I'd fall for that
who the hell do you think I am?
>>
>>34782048
>>34782119
One time my group was trying out a round-robin DMing format and I was able to AVOID having the session I DMed retconned because the alternative meant that my alchemist would be able to manufacture hallucinogens. The giant crab fighting the four armed giant skeleton with skeletons for hands stayed.
>>
File: Baron Munchausen.jpg (48 KB, 369x537) Image search: [Google]
Baron Munchausen.jpg
48 KB, 369x537
>the PCs adventure for many years
>power, wealth and fame come easily to them
>soon the whole world knows and respects/fears them
>it's all background to make them powerful figures for Baron Munchausen to outwit
>>
>>34782048
>Years long campaign
>PCs have become high-level nobility
>Benevolent and well-loved rulers of their world
>Ancient demi-god is their best pal
>While hunting in the royal forest they stumble upon a doorway one day
>Why the fuck not? Walk into door
>Fall on the floor
>They were in the wardrobe
>They are level 1 Commoner children again
>It all meant nothing
>>
>>34782160
a fatass
>>
>>34782169
>four armed giant skeleton with skeletons for hands
I don't... I can't... Help.
>>
>>34782182
10/10 would look for lamppost again
>>
>>34782169
>four armed giant skeleton with skeletons for hands
>not just straight up bringing in Papa Nito
You dun goof'd.
>>
>the paladin was actually a lich the whole time
>>
File: Archibald.jpg (167 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
Archibald.jpg
167 KB, 500x373
>>34781339
I see you there Archibald, you can't fool me!
>>
>>34780787
>>34780753
Hold on...
>>
>>34781251
A gay Starship Captain, of course.
>>
>>34781618
A+++
>>
>the PCs are one of several bands of heroes, each pursuing different sets of artifacts to throw off the villains
>they have no idea if the artifacts they are hunting for are the actual ones that will save the world
>>
>>34781251
Clearly he means a small ornament, duh.
>>
>>34780791

I read that as Ellmist
>>
>>34780960

>druid Protectors

Oh god
>>
>>34781227

Turns out the ancient sage mistranslated it into the Sword of Joy
>>
>>34780830
Stealing this
>>
>>34780778
/v/ pls
>>
>>34780215
>>The dragon was keeping the kingdom safe from the princess' sorcerous sadism.

His sexy sacrifice will not be forgotten.
>>
>>34780960
That's pretty awesome
>>
>Making a deal with a dragon turns out perfectly well

>The Pact the Warlock signed is actually a mariage contract

>The Hourglass of Time the PCs and the BBEG battled for is just a big fancy hourglass
>>
>>34780215
>The sinistre figure in a black cloak that pursue the PCs with a scythe is just an angry peasant
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 800x600
>>34781251
>you had the air of destiny swirling around you, and seers could tell you would do something that would change the galaxy forever
>thrown down reactor shaft of the bbeg's ship, accidentally causing a chain reaction which destroys his ship, shifting the balance of power in the galaxy
>>
>>34781339
> you are the end of the world
I did this once on a vampire campaign. Turns out they where cain all along.
>>
>The bbeg is just a guy whose get rich quick scheme put him in over his head
>>
The cursed man that your party has been trying to help over the past year? Well he reveals after you free him that he is the BBEG, and he thanks you for the help...
>>
File: bob_page.jpg (21 KB, 361x250) Image search: [Google]
bob_page.jpg
21 KB, 361x250
>>34781816
Fuck you, mate, you just spoiled me on three different movies!
>>
>Someone offers to heal you up
>Lures you in a trap that has no escape from
>SHOULD'T HAVE TRUSTED SOME RANDOM SHMUCK WHO OFFERS TO GIVE YOU A BLOWJOB FOR FREE

Sadistic_Laughing_DM.jpg
>>
>>34781680
changeling the dreaming
>>
>>34787217
Why contain it?
>>
>You just let the most feared crime lord in the world out of your police station after he managed to bullshit his way through interrogation, and said the dead guy was the real villain.
>>
>>34780686
Next campaign, roll up a ranger with favored enemy "canine" named "Paul Puppy-Puncher".
>>
>B-But PC, you are the BBEG
>>
>>34780330
Just found a new story arc for my character current character. Thanks!
>>
>>34782013
I had a character like this
He was killed while saving a wizard from being killed by an Ilithid. The wizard felt bad and got good enough to cast a wish spell an came back a few years later, found his skeleton, and wished that "He would be brought back with his mind and soul intact". So it did, it just took the easiest/literal route as wish spells do and brought him back as a skeleton, with the consciousness of the man he was.
Now Rattles runs a small store in a spooky shack well outside a town, selling meat he catches during the night to raise money for a resurrection. The party's going to be sent to investigate a tumor.
>>
File: you_dont_say.png (35 KB, 107x147) Image search: [Google]
you_dont_say.png
35 KB, 107x147
>>34780611
>>
>>34780720
Ever heard of Pablo Escobar? Fucker funneled millions into orphanages.
>>
File: Emperor's_Finest.jpg (86 KB, 510x546) Image search: [Google]
Emperor's_Finest.jpg
86 KB, 510x546
>>34787525
>>
>>34780215

>Have a long running campaign world: We often play different parties, but our last like 8 campaigns have been set in the same world over a period of about 80 years.

>3 campaigns ago, have a one off adventure in context of a larger campaign, we go to this one wizard's home, he's out, and his bumbling apprentice accidentally let out the gremlins and they tore up the spellbook we were fetching. Have to help him out.

>Cut to current campaign. He's the BBEG. And he tore apart an NPC mentor, himself able to whip the entire party at once, in 3 combat rounds.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
>>
>>34787525
*rumor
>>
>The original campaign you played with your group wasn't original at all. Someone in the group points it out
>>
File: tenzin_gyatso_zerfickt_dich.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
tenzin_gyatso_zerfickt_dich.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>34781981
>>
>the BBEG and your quest giver are actually friends who are playing a game where they constantly send adventurers at each other and watch them die
>>
>>34787572

Actually "Now you have to investigate a tumor" sounds pretty awesome, go with that.

>chosen anyFile
>>
>>34787710
There's the beginnings of a horror campaign in there.
>A mass of tumorous flesh has appeared in the town square of Hamletonville.
>Da fuq?
>>
>>34787710
>the skeleton has developed bone cancer
>>
File: 1404864996720.gif (253 KB, 340x255) Image search: [Google]
1404864996720.gif
253 KB, 340x255
>the friendly skeleton companion you acquired is actually the lich you thought you killed several adventures ago
>>
>>34781100
>rebellion starts as succession war for throne, but soon rebellion turns too radical and it becomes mix of french revolution meets russian revolution
>>
>>34782119
Nanobots, son.
>>
>the high fantasy game turns out to be a virtual reality simulation far in the future
>the PCs are actually prisoners being used for VR experiments, everyone in the game world was real and if you die in the game you die for real
>when the PCs awake from the simulation they still have their epic level fantasy powers and magic in "real life"
>>
>By killing the BBGE you actually started WW3
>After killing him you could have still prevented it by not panicking and going in to the small room that you guys passed when you entered the dungeon
>>
>>34787706
That actually sounds like a pretty nice idea. Kind of like God and Lucy having a bet over who gets more souls in their realm.
>>
>>34780686
Gold Digger has "Benji and Mr. Peachbody"

Benji is a Genetic modified hyper muscled submissive / house pet human of Mr. Peachbody, a time traveling sadistic dictator. He also happens to be a dog (black Labrador, I think) who conquered ONE alternate future, and he's trying to make the past fall in line to preserve his dictatorship.
>>
>>34787768
>some wizard ascends to lichdom
>everything is gr8
>something feels off one day
>goes to a doctor
>finds out he has terminal bone cancer, he'll be redead in 3 years
>Lich decides to do all the good he can before he dies
This could be fun
>>
>>34787277

S'cool.
>>
>>34788151
>undead
>dying of bone cancer
Cancer only occurs in the living, you fucktard.
>>
File: funb_police.jpg (290 KB, 700x421) Image search: [Google]
funb_police.jpg
290 KB, 700x421
>>34788203
>>
>>34788203
But maybe his distant cousin was living
>>
>>34788338
Aaaaaaand that allows him to have cancer how?
>>
>leader of the party get captured by BBEG
>he is rescued but the BBEG has escaped so the quest continues
>months of adventuring later they finally track him down
>he laughs and reveals that the he killed your party member while he was captured and has been remotely using the leader's magically preserved corpse as a puppet ever since they "rescued" him
>BBEG was manipulating the party into doing everything for him by using the leader as his mouth piece.
>he lets the corpse out of his control and its decay immediately catches up to it
>he escapes again, laughing like an asshole as he does so

I don't know, I think it would be more personal if the bad guy was literally pretending to be your friend the entire time.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d10)

>>
>>34788203
>>34788356
Listen you massive tit. If you want your campaigns to be as realistic as possible, sure, that's fine. But trying to impose this on others is testimony to a kind of personality that would annoy the shit out of me, and others as well, of that I am fairly sure. Remember that we are talking about play pretend games where anything goes as long as it is accepted within the group partaking in the activities.

In other words: stop bitching.
>>
>>34788356
Because it's funny?
>>
>>34788356
is this nigger serious
>>
>>34780381
But having the god of good actually be evil is quite literally one of the most overused cliches ever, so how is that a twist?
>>
>>34788573
Don't think too hard about it
>>
>>34787971
>BBGE
Big Bad Goblin Empire? No shit sherlock, it will cause WW3 just because of the sheer power vacuum it creates.
>>
>>34781125
I'd rather be dead than have any amount of money whatsoever
>>
>>34788649
But in your setting, the god of Death is actually a massive, hairy spider. With glowing red eyes that weave cocoon-bags for the souls it takes.
"Get in the bag!"
>>
>>34781362
[spoilers]Bengay[/spoilers]
>>
>>34788203
The revivification process turns the bones into amazing, living objects.

Alternatively, the lich is living in an area with high levels of background positive energy, and is being overhealed as a result.
>>
>>34788699
>Alternatively, the lich is living in an area with high levels of background positive energy, and is being overhealed as a result.
Okay, that I will accept. Carry on, gentlemen.
>>
The evil lich you were trying to stop all along? He was actually just a skeleton with delusions of grandeur and a favorite bone.
>>
>>34788781
You could say he just had a bone to pick with you
>>
>Your wife is actually you, came from the future and after you changed sex in year 2050
>>
>>34788862
>tfw you're so desperate to get a waifu that you just had to change sex and go to the past to engage in time masturbation shenanigans
>>
>>34782156
>tfw Humans are just Skeleton Fleshmancers
>>
>>34788724
Oh thank you for bestowing thy blessing upon us, for surely we could not bear to live if it were not for that. You fucking sperglord.
>>
The party bard was actually a lich with too much free time on his hands that decided that he wanted to try his hand at playing music while disguised as one of the living. Everyone thought it was a bit weird that he always had so much information to offer when it came combating dark magic and the undead but figured that he just researched those topics for his songs which are usually about morbid shit anyways.
>>
>>34788892
Imagine if you went through the trouble and all past you has to say about it was "That's gay, dude."
>>
>>34788954
The best response is to open your arms wide an say "them come here you flaming faggot"
>>
>>34781130
>>the only difference between the kingdoms religion and the secret cult you are sent to find and destroy is they go to church on saturday instead of sunday
Jehovah Witness of Jews?
>>
>>34788995
I found that to be strangely romantic.

Help.
>>
Friendship was the real treasure all along.
>>
>>34789043
>not "friendship was the BBEG all along"
>>
Many years ago, the King of Xlandia killed a dragon, and appropriated its hoard to fuel his expansionist and socially progressive policies. The PCs have been hired to raid the Bank of Xlandia's vaults
>When they break in they discover the vaults are empty, the money used/stolen years ago, and all the local kingdoms have been trading in Xlandian paper money that has no actual worth. Do they reveal the terrible secret?
>>
>>34789073
Yes. Massive political conflict means more actual combat and less fluffing about with noblemen.
>>
File: redlotus.jpg (103 KB, 1123x629) Image search: [Google]
redlotus.jpg
103 KB, 1123x629
>>34789043
And the reason why the enemy is so strong is because their power of friendship is stronger than yours.
>>
>>34789043
>That can't be right.
>can honestly say I hate you guys.
>>
>>34789099
It also means that thousands will die in the chaos that ensues
>>
>>34789200
And? They're NPC's under a fool's regime. I want to see how the GM can handle such a conflict.
>>
>>34789105
Has Korra officially gone full MGS or what is this
>>
>>34789514
Not until they turn her crippled ass into a cyborg with the use of metal bending.
>>
>>34789540
FUND IT
>>
>>34789514
MGS?
>>
>>34780806
There's a story like this. Where an immortal cultist gets caught by inquisitors and tells them it's actually Horus on the throne.
>>
>>34780215
The mob boss who's dead started the gang war? He faked his death, to start the gang war.
>>
>The enemy lays siege to your fortress and a favored soldier comes to you from the front saying all is lost. All really is lost, you are under supplied, and out numbered. You can not possibly hope to actually hold this position without an unacceptable number of casualties
>>
>>34789890
>"Hey dude open up we've been trying to deliver your mail for a month now and you just stay locked in your castle shooting arrows at us."
>>
>>34781680
South Park: The Stick of Truth
>>
>>34788439
Dude, calm down. I had a retarded idea. Fun police or no he had a point
>>
>>34781251
>>34781346
>>34781493
Never shall we fully plum the depths of this gay,
>>
>Team finds mysterious weapons factory that's been corrupting guardsmen. Cracks it open ready to kill the daemon inside before it's nefarious plots destroy the galaxy.

>It's actually just full of of Orks
>>
>>34789940
>trojan mail
beware the postal
>>
>By the time the party reaches the dragon's lair, the princess has fallen in love with him and her love has redeemed him beauty and the beast style.
>>
File: are there any women here.jpg (32 KB, 540x334) Image search: [Google]
are there any women here.jpg
32 KB, 540x334
>>34781172
>>AND ARE WOMEN
Look at this fucking conspiracy nut!
>>
>>34780330
>>The local crime boss is actually the secret benefactor of the local orphanages, and only commits crime to fund them.
Is his name mister Negative?
>>
> The evil overlord isn't really that evil. Everything that he tries turns out good. His people act like he is scary and evil to make him happy
>>
The ancient evil threatening to awake is actually an ancient good trying to wake up and fix the worlds problems.

the Chosen one is just being manipulated to put him back to sleep.
>>
>>34781290
And we would succeed if not for these meddling kids!
>>
>>34780215
A book I once read had one I'd consider in my top ten anytime:

>Main character is a young girl
>Her village gets destroyed by dragons for the lulz apparently
>gets taken away by mercenaries
>years later
>she's now the leader of said mercenaries
>visiting the place where they get there missions, old tower no one is supposed to enter, they get their missions telepathically
>decides to enter, gets attacked by strange creature using some sort of magic
>she fights it off, finds strange device inside tower, decides to investigate
>lots of adventuring ensues, etc...
>suddenly, turns out, the whole setting is past WW3, nuclear weapons had brought mankind to the brink of extinction
>bugs are now "sentient" (well, some of them) and rule the world
>bugs are partially controlled by overmind 2.0
>they use dragons to keep humanity in bronze age forever, because no WW4 here sir

Basically the twist is
>it was Fallout all along!

But it was so well written, my mind was in wtf mode for days.
>>
>the party's bard, known throughout the land as the greatest lover to ever live, is actually asexual. He has no idea where the rumors all came from.
>>
>>34781186

Or maybe they find the last dragon, hibernated/trapped so long that now he's just a big rusted statue.
>>
>>34790471
Wait, so where did the dragons come from?
>>
>>34790770
Can't remember that clearly anymore, it's been years since I read that book, but radiation/mutated lizards I guess.
>>
>>34790471
Name of book?
>>
>>34790692
Reminds me of a short story by Bernard Shaw, it was about Don Juan.
>>
File: dsvgsdvsdv.jpg (68 KB, 545x468) Image search: [Google]
dsvgsdvsdv.jpg
68 KB, 545x468
>>34790803
> mfw the closest you'll get to cool mutations from real radiation is lots of cancer.

Why is real life so boring?
>>
>there was no real crisis
>every person you met just happened to be a sarcastic douche whose bs you took literally
>>
>>34790823
"Töchter des Drachen" bei Wolfgang Hohlbein, a german fantasy author. Dunno if it's ever been translated into english.
>>
File: 1407123182196.png (84 KB, 1851x213) Image search: [Google]
1407123182196.png
84 KB, 1851x213
>>34781493
> All elfin sex slaves are actually mind controlling their rapists and owners into doing what the elfs want.
>>
>Party kills a man who they see running in the streets with a woman over his shoulder
>Turns out he was the woman's husband and was fulfilling her rape fantasy
>>
>OP was a faggot all along
>>
>Kindly old man asks you to take him to the elven capital to see it before he dies
>He assassinates the queen and you are blamed for it since you escorted him there
>>
>>34790880
>Hohlbein

ABSOLUT WIDERWÄRTIG
>>
>>34791180
> implying that's a twist of any sort
>>
>>34791223
But Anon, why?
>>
>>34791240
>literally pumps out boring trite shit like a factory
>looks like a huge faggot
>got his wife and daughter into the business although they're just as shit as he is
>>
>>34791272
I like his writing style. Only on his solo works though. But whatever.
>>
>Villagers say the woods are haunted
>Lots of scary sounds come from the forest
>"Nobody has ever come out of the forest alive"
>It's actually just a really dark bunch of trees
>Scary sounds are the wind and some weird birds
>Lots of people have come out alive
>>
>>34788435
Well done.
>>
File: well done.png (70 KB, 289x158) Image search: [Google]
well done.png
70 KB, 289x158
>>34791486
>>
>>34780356

Pathfinder... Razmiran...
>>
>Fuck huge leader of Hextorian empire
>Always in full plate and always in face concealing helmet
>Always smashing things, angry, destructive and powerful

>PC out of fucking nowhere: So, is it actually a women
>N-noo...

It was the first time meeting and I even refereed to it as HE. Mulan background and everything. How do PC's always know?
>>
>>34791687
>it

why.png
>>
>>34791783
Because I made the armor was highly decorated and gave no race or gender qualities (i.e, boob plate, or codpeice).

Plus saying "I referred to her as he" just sounds funny in my head.
>>
>but after all the time he passed with the party, he became friendly and consider them as part of his family
>decides to posticipate his grand plan of world destruction
>>
>>34780215
>That worthless bard in your party is actually a lich taking a vacation.
>>
>the terrorist group our party was hunting actually controls the country that employed us to hunt them
>the terrorist group is actually the good guys launching attacks against extremists and enemy nations
>>
>>34791687

The modron march does it slightly more funny.

The BBEG is the sword. The "man" is just an empty armor animated with telekinesis
>>
>>34788862
You mean the great short story "The Man Who Folded Himself" aka "All You Zombies"?
>>
>>34791997
>The BBEG is the sword. The "man" is just an empty armor animated with telekinesis
Stolen so fast the armour hasn't fallen over yet.
>>
>>34787562
What is even the point of the players?
>>
>The guy wearing the ghost mask hired the party to stop those kids from meddling.
>The guy wearing the ghost mask is an actual ghost, haunting the place by animating bedsheets and whatnot.
>>
>>34780330
... so its Robin Hood but with specifics.
>>
>>34781111
This is some TES shit dude. Gods as just like, fleshy celestials.
>>
>The deposed rightful heir's royal family were huge dicks who had it coming
>>
>the magical hermit you did quests for was really just a mindless golem
>the bird perched on his shoulder was the brains of the operation
>>
>>34780215
Twists like that are so common nowadays that playing them straight ARE the twist.
>>
>>34792560

Quite important, actually. It's the sort of campaign where being in the right place at the right time with the right intentions means a lot more than raw power.

You do realize that not everything has to end in fisticuffs/magical duels/etc with the BBEG, right?
>>
After searching for weeks for the Gauntlet of Swift Feet you realize it doesn't make you any faster it is just a glove made out of some fast guys foot.
>>
Campaign I started by crashed due to the party being entirely Bilbo Baggins

>Powerful wizard senses that the gates to the monster planes have been opened
>Only the immortals which were created hundreds of years ago to close the gates can close them
>Wizard is actually BBEG who opened the gates to gather the immortals and kill them and absorb their power (one of which is a party member)

Highlander references aplenty
>>
>>34792874
Just make everyone gray. That way you won't know what's the twist
>>
the tar golem was really just a rock golem covered in a thin layer of tar
>>
>>34793156
Poor guy could never fit in
>>
>>34780215

>Guy sends us on a quest to retrieve a magic sword. Offers some money for it.
>Get sword.
>Sword is worth a fuck lot more than he's offering to pay us.
>Run off with the blade.
>Actually, turns out the blade is intelligent, and can exert Suggestion like powers on the wielder.
>Guy didn't want the sword. He wanted to put the sword in the hands of a band of murderhobos like us.

We got hooked real bad.
>>
>>34792992
That's actually what I do. But I use a lot of different tones of grey.
One of their biggest NPC allies right now is a sorceress who's a completely sociopathic narcissist.

When they met her she wasn't as powerful, and she had systematically mind controlled and charmed a tribe of goblins over the course of a month to treat her like a goddess so she could fight a local dragon she couldn't take on by herself.

Why was she trying to kill the dragon?
"Oh, it killed my step parents. But they were boring old set of fuckers, anyway - truth be told I never gave a rat's ass about them. It's just... It killed my parents; it's gotta die. It's all about principles, y'know?"
>>
>Whatever setting
>Game goes as normal except odd things occasionally happen, like bookcases falling over for no reason, the occasional floating pot or pan, random guy blowing up, whatever
>Party is actually being followed by an elder god-like deity their brains completely refuse to comprehend or acknowledge.
>>
>>34789624
Metal Gear Solid.
>>
>In a CoC that I've mastered, at the first session, all the PC, a group of cavemen, are killed by things not from this world.
>It was the same players, but it was their PC from the last session of the campaign, who only wanted to prevent the PC from the first session to invoke an elderich abomination to kill them.

It was fun when they understand (too late) the truth.
>>
>>34793695
You need to work on your grammar bro. Your tenses are all jumbled up.
>>
>>34794309
It could be that English isn't their first language.
>>
>>34780791

>the Dyson sphere was really trillions of bears holding paws around a star
>>
>>34794841
That was my assumption.
>>
>>34791687
Because it's cliche as hell
>>
>>34780330
That one's becoming a bit of a cliche.
>>
>>34791687
>How do PC's always know?
You're in the wrong era for the TWIIIST to be remotely surprising.
>>
>>34781364
meta kek
>>
>>34796997
>>34796765
Just make the revelation that the character in the armor is actually a trans man who's deathly ashamed of not being able to grow a beard or looking anything like a man because there's no hormone therapy in Medievallandia
>>
>>34791687
>How do PC's always know?
For starters, in D&D you pretty much only wear the face-concealing helmet for story reasons because helmets do absolutely nothing for your armor score.
>>
>>34797238
>the twist is that the armored dude was a headless rider all along
>>
>Party is sent to stop someone who has been running around Sigil, accumulating magical swords, and generally fucking around with the energy of the city.
>Turns out it's just a lonely bard who's smitten with the LoP, so is trying to perform a ritual to become a lord/lady of pain themself, with the express intent of holding hands and cuddling with the original LoP.
>>
alright, I've been thinking on this one for a little bit, please tell me how shitty it is

>Shadowrun
>Team is hired to investigate a corporate research center going silent and to clean up any mess they find
>Upon entering find evidence of struggle, blood everywhere, burns, scattered pieces of bodies all over the floor and even lodged in the walls
>find a researcher, badly wounded, hiding behind a toppled bookshelf. He tells them, if pressured. that they were researching an artifact and the head researcher went nuts, throwing fireballs everywhere before slipping underground to the artifact room.
>Team breaks into quarantined area, noticing as they do that the air continually gets colder and colder as they approach, to the point that frost is building. The lead researcher is performing some ritual over the artifact, a sinister looking claymore. Runners either gun him down or interrupt the ritual.
Head researcher is surprised by their entry, but before he can say much the sword flies out from behind him, knocking him out as it speeds towards the team
laughter breaks out behind them as they find the "injured" researcher had followed them down, as the sword lands in his hand
battle tiem
they were studying an old tomb that held a sword and corpse. Turns out the corpse had been possessed for centuries, and managed to bring other spirits in to possess the majority of the research crew.
The injured guy was actually the master spirit, the head guy didn't go nuts he was trying to stop him from getting out

not a super big TWIST, but if I play it right I'm hoping they won't catch on. Maybe I should think of a second twist after the fact, just in case
>>
>>34798134
>centuries
but magic and spirits and shit wasn't around back then
>>
>>34798134
It's alright, but the "innocent bystander who just happens to be the only significant character in the area" thing may give it away.

I think something good to compliment it would be to have the head spirit manipulate smaller spirits in other bodies, who in their dying breaths can lie to the party to make it more convincing.
>>
>>34798231
there have been mana spikes. Hell he could be there since the 4th age

>>34798235
thats a good idea, although honestly the other bodies would have to join the battle, 'cause these fuckers can't actually bleed out or anything.
>>
>shadowrun
>investigating coastal drilling platform that has been taken over by eco-terrorists
>turns out to be working just fine
>but all the workers were just eco-terrorists posing as workers
>turns out they aren't eco-terrorists at all but are instead stealing the resources drilled and funneling it to another megacorp through another pipeline

Not a huge twist, but ya gotta love some corporate espionage
>>
>>34791687
The guy who I have in full plate and concealing armour is in fact an elder fire elemental. Just fucking flame that will burn away anything that opens it up.

I need that miniboss villain to turn up again at some point.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.