[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the BC/AD equivalent in your setting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: c2e6Fv2[1].jpg (30 KB, 460x399) Image search: [Google]
c2e6Fv2[1].jpg
30 KB, 460x399
Happy New Years /tg/, lets have a nice worldbuilding thread about the equivalents to BC/AD in your setting. What was *that* event, go into as much detail as you want.
>>
Generally from what I've seen it is the pre- and post- formation of a grand empire that affected the world's economy drastically.

Or some great war doing the same.
>>
A classic for science fiction is Pre and Post-Atomic, where the focal point is 1945. I'm tempted to use that for my setting, but I think I'm going to be boring and use the founding of the Galactic Concord or the reconstruction after the Great Galactic War.

The choice between a Concord calendar and the Reconstruction calendar kind of depends on how bad I want the war to go. I kind of intend for there to be a Reinassance as the great trade lanes are reestablished and the galaxy starts to rebuild. At the same time I don't want the founding of the Concord, and it's force of translators who could allow the aliens to communicate with each other and finally bring galactic diplomacy and trade to fall by the wayside.

It's for this reason that I put that on the backburner and tried working on making more aliens.
>>
>>44496913
I use this same thing. Based on a big empire on the continent with annotations based on the POV of the historian since there is no global empire yet..
>>
>>44496340
For my fantasy setting, I have After Pillar Fall (APF). The old human empire which spanned the continent was mostly destroyed when a giant pillar of crystallized fire crashed into the center of it and reduced the center of the continent into a barren ash wasteland. While it still remains in the form of fringe cities, the rise of the fire goddess cult which was less harsh on people of lesser status and non-humans and the conquering of the eastern lands by the elves caused most of the old empire to join the Great New Empire that formed.
>>
History began a thousand years ago. Everything before that happened in "a time before time".
>>
Who fucking cares?

When are the players ever going to be in a situation where understanding the dates in your fictional fantasy world is of such importance that you need to invent a fictional calendar and historical record for them to refer to?
>>
>>44500151

>Hur dur world building is gay and you're gay.
>>
I like Era Sputnik from GUNNM: Last Order for scifi.

For fantasy, the gods are around to tell them, so they count from the begining of time and thus have no before.
>>
>>44500151
>Who fucking cares?

Well, I do.

I believe it gives players and GM's a better feel for the atmosphere of the setting and makes it easier to get into character. I like to think of it as the difference between a one-shot and a serial. A sense of a running history lends more realism to the setting and can make the game more interesting as the story unfolds.

When I GM I tend to let the players dictate the direction they want to go which is why I always try to be prepared with as much pre-written info as I can and part of that is at least a basic outline of the history of the area they are in, especially when decide to go full retard. An example would be an ancient battle may have/did occur in the area and so there may be undead there or lost magical artifacts. In my opinion, having conflicting or skewed dates and locations of the battlefield as well as rumored treasure from different in-world sources players have to figure out gives a more rewarding experience overall than just buying/finding The Map and going exactly where they need to go.

Then again I also usually spend at least half the first session telling players about the setting with printouts of basic information as well as a basic map as they roll characters and discuss how they want the game to play out. We also discuss the setting when were just hanging out and they have questions about the material.
>>
File: Constantinople.jpg (190 KB, 600x452) Image search: [Google]
Constantinople.jpg
190 KB, 600x452
>>44496340
very classic, one is the birth of the first continent spanning empire (1816 years ago, which is still used by that empire, despite being a fraction of what it was) and the birth of the prophet (1305 years ago) of the monotheistic religion that is followed by almost everyone in the continent (the empire i have mentioned before follows this religion, but still uses it's traditional date system)
>>
>>44500151
World building is neat, anon.
>>
>>44496340
Can't you ask like, an aboleth what year it is?
Since they have such perfect memory.
>>
The current predominant religion orders all of known and projected history into an elemental calendar. It is currently the Age of Earth. The previous Age was the Age of Fire.
>>
>>44496340
Each era is defined by whatever the humans and elves are trying to survive.
In chronological order:
Age of Demons: rampant undead hordes
Age of Beasts: rampant beastman hordes
Age of the Orc: guess

Beastmen were created to fight undead. It kind of worked, but then they became a problem of their own. Orcs were created to quell the beastman problem. It also kind of worked, but now there are too many damn orcs in addition to beastmen and undead still being an issue to some extent.
>>
>>44502334
Just wished I had someone to play it with.
>>
>>44502457
>We'll just leave all these artificial warrior-races lying around everywhere.
>Ancient Empires, no sense of right or wrong
>>
File: shit eating confucius.jpg (72 KB, 402x402) Image search: [Google]
shit eating confucius.jpg
72 KB, 402x402
>having a "before" and "after" era
>not having dozens of eras all named after the current emperor or political turmoil
>>
>>44496340
>What was *that* event, go into as much detail as you want.

The Cyclopes refer to it as "pre-collapse" and "post-collapse" where in roughly 50,000 years ago their society and civilization finally collapsed and their previously extremely modern and metropolitan lives were reduced to anti-social, reclusive obscurity.

This was a major turning point for many primitive sapient races as the fall of Cyclopean society left and enormous gap for new numerous cultures and civilizations to develop without hindrance.

Today's contemporary society still remains unaware of the "pre-collapse" and "post-collapse" however, but still acknowledge that there is some merit and fact to the legends and myths surrounding an advanced civilization of giants ruling the world before history began. Especially now as modern archaeological methods uncover sophisticated and advanced artifacts from a very different time.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.