[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people say that Advanced Dungeons & Dragons first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: ADD-PHB.jpg (564 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
ADD-PHB.jpg
564 KB, 1536x2048
Why do people say that Advanced Dungeons & Dragons first edition is the Satanic Bible, and that Gary Gygax was the anti-christ?
And furthermore, why is oldschool D&D more dangerous than drugs, heavy metal, and premarital sex?
>>
Only a few people said D&D was satanic, and nobody called Gary the Antichrist. Oldschool D&D is not more dangerous than drugs, heavy metal, or premarital sex.

OP is a faggot, however. We'll need a study to determine if that's related to oldschool D&D.
>>
It came out during a time in which these things weren't understood yet (because there weren't many) and people were more conservative and concerned about Christian values and shit.

Parents and other people who couldn't understand what D&D was supposed to be saw these books and how their kids were convening to do this strange ritual where they player around with these serious, scary (to them) concepts. They had demons, magic spells ("Swords... poison... spells... battles... maiming... killing!" ) and all kinds of things, combined with this weird participatory way it was enjoyed. This was made worse by rumors that the spells, demons and such in D&D were actual parts of satanic rituals researched from real stuff, and that the game was basically fooling kids into devil worshipping.

So in short, because people didn't know what the fuck was going on, and because freaking out over it was way easier than actually finding out.
>>
Because people need something to get offended about.
>>
>Thou shall only use ascending AC
>>
>>44473161
BEHEAD THOSE WHO DENY THAC0
>>
>>44472912
>Why do people
[who?]

>oldschool D&D more dangerous than drugs, heavy metal, and premarital sex?
[citation needed]
>>
>>44472912

People were really stupid in the 70's and 80's.
>>
>>44477287
I'm guessing you're not an American who was alive during the 80s.
>>
>>44477287
Go to bed, wikipedia. You're drunk and on the wrong part of the internet again. Love you though.

Okay, but seriously, OP. You should have posted a link like this:

http://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/blog/people-thought-dungeons-dragons-satanic/
>>
>>44472912
Anon, how did you get the Internet in the 80's? Sounds to me like YOU are the demons.
>>
>>44472912
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFIWUYr0n10
>>
>>44472912
Well, at the time roleplaying wasn't really a firmly understood concept for a lot of people, and the imagery in some of the books did look sort of satanic, and to someone who really didn't understand what an RPG is, it wouldn't be too hard to misconstrue the whole thing as some sort of cult.

That said, aside from a minor media scare and some soccer moms acting crazy, nothing ever really came of it, because even the most cursory investigation into the material showed how innocuous it was.

The irony of course is that Gygax was Christian, and D&D had a lot of references to and inspirations drawn from Christian mythology. Gygax was actually pretty atavistic when it came to morality. In a cool way.
>>
Google Satanic Panic. It was a really prevalent thing from the 60s to the early 90s.
>>
>>44472912
I hate how you people write posts SO MUCH...
>>
>>44477695
Universities were well connected to the Arpanet of the day. There were play-by-e-mail campaigns and MMOs, all text.
>>
>>44478191
> showed how innocuous it was
Never let facts stand in the way of a good crusade or conspiracy theory.
>>
Lamentations of the Flame Princess.

That is all.
>>
>>44479546
This. I had to scan the thread just to make sure no one else mentioned it.
Also check it on youtube.
Funny times the 80s were.
>>44477695
Back in the 80s we connected to the internet via 12kbs modems and that usually ran 5$ an hour.
You have to remember that PCs weren't a common thing in households until the mid to late 90s. They were more or less office tools. They took off in the late 90s/early 2000s with PC companies started focusing on box PCs that were affordable by everyone.
God playing Witchhaven in the dark and voice chatting via 56k was good times.

And my mid-late 90s internet grillfriend.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.