[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shadowrun General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19
File: 1378159954536.jpg (491 KB, 1000x1334) Image search: [Google]
1378159954536.jpg
491 KB, 1000x1334
Connecting to JackPoint VPN...
>...Identity Spoofed
>...Encryption Keys Generated
>...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>>>Enter Passcode: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
...Biometric Scan Confirmed

>Welcome back to /srg/, Chummer

>Watch your Back
>Shoot Straight
>Conserve Ammo
>And never, ever, turn down the chance to bang a Dragon

What Dragons have you encountered during your careers, Chummers?
And please note, this means both those encountered and those "encountered".
>>
These are some crazy looking birds
>>
Are there goblins in Shadowrun? I notice it's called "goblinization" even though they're orks and trolls, so I'm guessing they don't have actual goblins.
>>
File: frogmouth.jpg (26 KB, 560x563) Image search: [Google]
frogmouth.jpg
26 KB, 560x563
>>33896737
>These are some crazy looking birds
>>
>>33896909
Yup, they're dwarves with HMHVV.
>>
>>33896909

They're a kind of HMHVV infected Dwarf.

Also, there are Hobgoblins, which are an Ork metavariant.
>>
>>33895647
Schwartzkopf, Lofwyr, Perianwyr, Urubia, Faltenxost, Thraxus, and Cuahetemoc.
>>
>>33895647
Not directly yet, but the moment my gunrunning sammy learned that some people we were investigating had Deathdealer ammunition, we promptly noped the fuck out. Because fuck going up against anyone even remotely related to SK.
>>
I'm running my first few games soon and have no module yet, and my group likes XCOM so it seems kind of fitting.

Any good alien-centric modules around?
>>
>>33897721
No aliens in the setting, at least not yet.
>>
File: 2345234652345.jpg (17 KB, 230x300) Image search: [Google]
2345234652345.jpg
17 KB, 230x300
>have to escape Seattle
>our free sprite "Fixer" hooks us up with a job in Nigeria
>end up in Lagos, shenanigans ensue with our dysfunctional group
>have to do a small job to collect a wooden artifact for a Hwala
>get to artifact, ram the truck we were given into the ruined house it was in
>Rigger rolls well enough to not collapse it down and crush the artifact
>kill two toxic spirits, jump out to check the basement
>DM: "You see a bunch of huddled figures"
>Rigger's drone (with a Grimlock personality) pops a tear gas grenade at them
>after the door was busted open
>they all start getting up and shambling after us
>Mage: "I cast fireball"
>cue everyone struggling with perception checks so that they can get this damn WOODEN artifact before it burns to a crisp

I don't know how this party gets anything done and yet we do.
>>
>>33895647
I've never actually encountered any dragons, unless you count working for SK as encountering Lofwyr indirectly.

Which of the HMHVV variants do you think are the most BAD NEWS? Or generally which ones are the creepiest?

Other than Wendigo.

Anyone ever run any good encounters with some of the weirder ones?
>>
>>33898777
Mutaqua
They're like Nosferatu, but Trolls, and Adepts.
We're just lucky die in the sun.
>>
Okay, I've been reading through the setting stuff and I've come across something that really confuses me.

Most food products for the middle/low class are soy, krill, or algae based, with real meat being a luxury item that the average person will only be able to afford on an irregular basis.

However, according to running wild, the most common pets among the middle class are cloned dogs and cats.

But if animal cloning is widespread enough that the average pet dog is a cloned purebred, shouldn't cloned beef and other cloned meats long since become a commonplace foodstuff?
>>
>>33897721
No alliums, so just use bug spirits and other pan dimensional horrors
>>
>>33900332
Cloning a pet, a one time luxury purchase you make with your bonus, is very different than cloning a cow every time someone wants to pick up some Mac Donalds.

Besides, as you yourself put it, meat is an irregular luxury. People can afford it semi-regularly. You have it on holidays or on special dates. Cloning wouldn't really take the price down.
>>
>>33900332
No because muh grimderp. This is cyberpunk, people can't be happy.
>>
>>33900509
It has nothing to do with people not being allowed to be happy. Cloning in setting is very expensive. It isn't like you can afford to buy a pure-bred dog today at the same rate you buy meat.
>>
>>33900509
>Grimderp
>Because the scale of cloning a dog once every 10 years for your family is completely different than cloning a cow every day for 10 families.
>>
>>33900504
That does make sense, when you put it that way.

When you break it down, cloning a dog once is a lot less pricey than cloning thousands of cows weekly; I'd just figured that animal cloning was the sort of thing that would see large-scale industrial usage before it saw use as a "luxury" service for providing houses with pets.
>>
>>33898854
Any troll is going to be scary, but consider for a moment.

There's a naked, infected troll running down a narrow alley towards you. His freely swinging sausage is slapping against the brick walls with each stride. Are you more scared if it's scraping divots out of the mortar, or splattering acid?

I'm voting for Fomoraig.
>>
>>33900332
As a note, most pets are cloned and not pure-bred, as pure-bred or non-cloned versions cost way more.

Anyway, the meat business collapsed by 2015 due to VITAS (and other things). Now, cloning as a viable process is still a pretty new idea in 2070, so in the intervening 55 years, the megacorps took over food production.

The reasons why they are unlikely to change over to cloned meat over soy, krill, etc as I see it are:

-They already have production facilities in place and creating the investment in both PR and material isn't worth it

-Cloned meat is cheaper than normal meat, but if the corps start selling it, then they just lose out on their real-food profits

-Cloned meat is still more expensive than soy, and your average household's income is a lot lower

-After 50 years of having "soy is amazing" shoved down their throats, people would be reluctant to change (plus, cloned meats give you cancer! Didn't you see the story on NeoFOX News?)

-The execs who would be in charge of this sort of project want to maintain the whole "real meat as a status symbol" thing to inflate their egos
>>
>>33900779
The issue with cloning is that it isn't really going to make this cheap or fast. Clones are expensive and while there sometimes are hints at vat clones who have accelerated growth those generally are for high end theoretical research. Cloned dogs and cats are cloned to allow them to be bred faster, as they arn't limited by "womb space" but they still probably grow slow.
>>
>>33900949
Ironically, the only exception I can think of to this is also mostly unnecessary for food - insects are fastgrown for use as biodrones without digestive systems.
>>
>>33901023
Actually bugs are super nutritious and real world patents for using bugs as a SR like soy product have been filed for ages and business are now just starting up.

Like, for real, bug farms would basically solve the world's food problems if everyone was on board.
>>
>>33901109
HyperReal confirmed for bug spirit plant.
>>
>>33901109
Reminds me of that kickstart for cricket chips that made it.

In the USA, the first food-grade insect farm opened just this year. So it figures it would slowly become more of a thing in Shadowrun.

Aren't worms and things a staple of "Orcish" cuisine?
>>
>>33900949
Disclaimer: all numbers are from Augmentation, so it's 4e. Not sure how nanobots might have fucked it in 5e.

It takes 8 weeks to get a human full-body clone from fetus to adult, and it costs 25k¥. The main issue is that though it's physically mature, the clone's still going to have be an infant mentally, assuming it doesn't just die.

Not sure how much a cow costs nowadays, but assuming there was a large enough market for it, it seems like it MIGHT be a reasonable alternative.

Never mind that you could possibly clone just the meat-parts of the cow and skip the rest, seeing as skin/hair, limbs, eyes, etc can all be force grown separately from a body.
>>
>>33901109
My point was that bugs reproduce just fine on their own. Cloning them involves introducing steps to a food industry that already functions IRL & in SR.

SR bug cloning is mostly focused on creating expendible assets with a shelf life measured in hours.
>>
>>33901023
Locusts are nutritious, fast breeding, and kosher.
>>
>>33901221
A cow's meat almost certainly doesn't cost 25k in shadowrun, and would cost more to clone than a person by a large margin.
>>
>>33901217
>Aren't worms and things a staple of "Orcish" cuisine?

Fuckin' breeders, always thinkin' orks and trolls eat rocks and dirt. Ork food as I know it is the same as human food, and anyone who says otherwise is pullin' your leg.

But, if you buy into all that tourist crap, here's the entry from the Living Planet Guide to Seattle:

The “authentic ork cuisine” served at the Big Rhino is an eclectic fusion of soul food, barbeque (particularly the odd pig roast), Creole, and Germano-Slavic styles of cooking. I’m especially fond of the paprikash fried chicken with collard greens (sautéed in bacon fat), the hot-pepper biscuits with gravy and sour cream, and spiced pulled pork with seven-beans.
>>
>>33901253
>fast breeding
So again, why introduce the inefficient step of cloning them yourself? Just about the only thing I'd do for insects in the food industry is alter their genes for consistent parthenogenesis.

Still might be easier to consider eating aphids, though.
>>
File: shadowrun online.jpg (162 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun online.jpg
162 KB, 640x480
just bought shadowrun online off bundlestars for $10

played the first mission, wasn't that impressed

definitely needs inventories and more skill options
>>
>>33901109
I look forward to the day when I can regularly buy cricket cookies from girl scouts.
>>
>>33901405
Is it even into beta yet? I wouldn't expect anything from it *for a long time*.
>>
I rolled up a Rigger Adept with A attributes, B resources, E skills, and 6 roto-drones with heavy crossbows. What sounds should my screamer bolts play?
>>
>>33901378
Man. Being an ork means being well fed!
>>
>>33901438
its been in early access on steam for many months now and I was always kept up to date via the fb page and I thought they'd have more done but this just seems like basic shit to me, they've put more work into making story missions than actually working on gameplay mechanics, that's just terrible fucking project management. The community can make stories and missions.
>>
>>33901454
Stuka sirens.
>>
>>33901405
Yeah. Online is a huge work in progress. As badly as I want it, I'd rather wait until they get closer to the envisioned product.

Until then, I'll be playing some of the user created missions on Shadowrun Returns.
>>
>>33901378
>>33901502
>Man. Being an ork means being well fed!
The simsense feed to actually turn whatever it is you're eating into that full course meal costs extra.
>>
>>33901378
wait if meat is rare how the fuck are the ORKS of all people enjoying pork roasts and chicken sauteed in bacon fat
>>
>>33901585
Soy meat.

Most people eat it so often the taste of real meat is off.
>>
File: OrcVisionvsOrcReality.png (349 KB, 689x324) Image search: [Google]
OrcVisionvsOrcReality.png
349 KB, 689x324
>>33901584
Image related.
>>
>>33901585
Meat's still available in restaurants, but it's just too expensive to have every day unless you're high+ lifestyle. At medium, you might still have a roast or something once or twice a month, but the rest of the time it's soy.
>>
>>33901585
I'd guess each of those meats has an asterisk next to it.
>>
Thinking of throwing a sword and board adept at my players with a vibroblade and a riot shield covered with reactive armor or claymore mines. Have vibroblades been statted for 5th ed yet?
>>
>>33901585
Giant engineered doom chickens that are allowed to prowl areas infested with insect spirits.

Alternatively. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FoaomccQJY
>>
>>33901816
Sail Away, Sweet Sister has them, according to chummer5. Whether or not that really counts is up to you.
>>
>>33897721
The other anons seem to be forgetting the mars skeleton. hay, you didn't say they had to be LIVE aliens.
>>
Would there be any real attempt to colonize off world in Shadowrun or would the AAAs try to keep Mars as their own testing/research grounds.
>>
>>33902466
As I recall, Evo got there first and secretly set up missile defenses, thereby stopping anyone else from landing without their express permission.
Don't quote me on that though.
>>
>>33902466
tonnage to orbit is still pricy enough that question is still a long ways out. I suspect even with the space elevator AND the mass driver this will not change.
>>
>>33902626
UCAS (or was it just USA at that point) was first, but <somthing> happened and almost everyone died.
>>
I'm planning to run a campaign set in Miami. I've been looking into places in the setting that I could run that would be a good break from the standard Seattle setting, and what little setting information we have on Miami has really sparked my interest. Sixth world almanac describes the city as a hotbed of Single-A corps waging a multifaceted corporate war in an attempt to fill the power vacuum left by the collapse of Gunderson, and Dirty Tricks says the city's had difficulty securing a long-term public security contract ever since it lost its last one.

Since Miami's occupied by a bunch of warring A-ranked corporations, I can imagine all sorts of interesting experimental techs and projects being pushed by executives trying to break through and get ahead in the corporate world. All of this lends itself to a great opportunity for shadowrunners to do their thing.

Does anyone have any ideas for plot hooks for a game set down in the Miami Metropolitan Area?
>>
Greetings, /srg/!

A curious thought struck me tonight. I was fiddling with a D20 based character, and on a whim, I decided to convert it into a 4E Shadowrun character. I looked online to see if there are any methods for doing so, and found absolutely nothing useful.

So, do any of you know at what rate bonuses in DnD/Pathfinder are equivalent to dice in a dice pool?
>>
So is Jake Armitage a character who would actually be able to mechanically exist in any given edition of Shadowrun, being the mage/decker/gunman combo that he is?
>>
>>33903014
Possible? Yes, very much so, but without augs such a character is going to rely very, very heavily on magic for combat.

Such a character would likely be much more powerful as a mystic adept instead of just a regular mage.
>>
>>33903014
Sure, could happen.
>>
>>33903014
Jake's a shaman with cyberware, which makes him a less than optimal magic user, but there's no reason why a decker-shaman explicitly can't be a thing. He just won't be a wonderful magic user.
>>
>>33901109
You mean the cricket reactor, right?
>>
>>33902693
>>33902626
Ares has a mars base fully staffed with like 30+ colonists

but since it's Ares I'm sure they're armed to the teeth and have several nukes
>>
Anyone happen to have any shadowrun-based maps? Specifically, underground secret research facilities?
>>
>>33901109
>if everyone was on board.

Yeah I'll pass on bug slurry, seeing as I live in a country that has actual food.
>>
>>33903552
>Yeah I'll pass on bug slurry, seeing as I live in a country that has actual food.
You're adorable. If you knew the processes your food went through and what was actually in the end products, you'd feel mildly sick for a short period followed by acceptance that you're eating mass-manufactured filth.
>>
>>33903552
The issue is that it is literally impossible for everyone to eat if developed world keeps eating like it does, forget about everyone eating for the developed world.

Also >>33903636

Also if you drank orange juice in the last 10 or so years you have eaten bugs already
>>
>>33903658
>Also if you drank orange juice in the last 10 or so years you have eaten bugs already
Orange juice is slurry that is a flavorless mash of fermenting orange squeezings from rotted fruit. They flavor it to taste like orange juice and dye it orange.
>>
>>33903694
My point was that the dye is sometimes bugs.

Tropicana only became vegan relatively recently in the last few years.
>>
>>33903715
Their grapefruit juice still contains those beetle shells if I recall.
>>
>>33903014
Yeah. He was far better with guns than magic anyway. It doesn't really matter how good your invisibility is when you're not combating people who can sense it.

He's possible but he wouldn't be optimized.
>>
File: 1373491377952.png (3 KB, 247x220) Image search: [Google]
1373491377952.png
3 KB, 247x220
>>33902943
Anyone? I know it's an odd question, but...
>>
>>33903715
>>33903694
>>33903658
Well, I'm off to get my orange bug slurry then. I like it with extra pulp.
>>
>>33904104
I wouldn't know where to begin. There might be something out there, but I really doubt it.

I'd advise you just to recreate your character from scratch, considering the scale of 1-6 for skills and attributes, with 1 being incredibly underdeveloped or hobbyist, 3 being standard human or professional level, and 6 being incredibly skilled, or (almost) the smartest man alive.
>>
>>33903636
>>33903658
>hurr you ingest a miniscule amount of bugs so you may as well eat nothing but bugs

And you consume trace amounts of rat shit, but I don't see you saying everyone should eat nothing but that.
>>
>>33903804
Hurray for carmine buy products.

(Interesting side note: Those bugs shells were once used as a substitute for tax in some south american regions because the pretty, pretty carmine color end product dye was so amazingly pretty.

And I once used that to fuck with my players.

"So you're sending us to this city to collect the tax, safeguard it on the way back here, and report if any brigands or outlaws attempt to steal the precious cargo, Magister?"
"Yes. There's been some unrest lately. Anyway, good luck with it. Oh, and don't forget the giant wagons"
"What'd we need that for if we're collecting tax?"

[Cue two month journey with giant wagons stacked full of hilariously oversized bettle shells and chitin thieves on the back of giant flying bugs trying to steal everything)

Anyway, entomophagy is actually pretty damn interesting as a food source. Once you get past the "EW, bugs" thing, because the protein ratio to effort is *way* higher than in most other kinds of produce. It's honestly one of the better proposed ways of feeding the planet. I always imagined that Shadowrun would just have cricket farms by default.

And then you could get a undercover insect spirit johnson task you with blowing them up.
>>
>>33903636
You know, I recall that as a child growing up in a rural area, I was horrified the first time my mother brought home meat from one of her friends who raised livestock that had once been a pig I'd watched play in the field and had helped name. I also remember that once she actually talked me in to trying some of it that it was some of the best damned bacon I've had in my life.
>>
>>33904124
The bugs are actually pretty fine for you. You are descended from scavengers who would eat anything to survive, eating a few bugs is probably more natural for you than eating 2000 calories of meat.

>>33904104
There is no rote way to do it unfortunately. You need to eyeball it, made harder by the fact different d20 settings or even different games in the same setting have different power levels. Everything in SR is generally quantified by their relation to the average. In general a professional has 3-4 in a stat and 3 in a skill vital to their job, but that mostly applies to professionals who rely on skills utterly. A life long call center employee may not really care and maintain 2 in ettiquite. Lets be real, sometimes they have uncouth.

Another big deal is that certain types of magic flat out don't exist in shadowrun, or work very differently than they do in d20. Conjurers for example are a huge part of shadowrun but they aren't going to be teleporting anyone anywhere, and they don't cast summon monster 1 when they are rookies, they cast "Summon weakly ancient being as old as time."

It is best to try to transfer the essence of the character, rather than going for a 1:1 port. For example, most bard PCs probably are not actual spellcasters in shadowrun, and a rogue could swing infiltrator or decker.

>>33904165
This isn't minuscule contamination. Coloring is generally a major ingredient, and that is what the bugs are used for.

Besides, no one is saying you should only eat bugs. That would be radically unhealthy, though not as radically unhealthy as our current default diet.
>>
>>33904198
See, that's farm-raised animals. I'm talking factory farming. That pig of yours sounds to have had a good life. That makes for good meat. Factory critters are pumped full of antibiotics and hormones and packed in and butchered in filthy shitholes run by Mexican illegals.
>>
>>33904252
Depends on the animal. For example poultry be fed hormones, which you wouldn't know because all of those claims that THIS brand is hormone free, implying there are hormone filled chicken, until the USDA realized how bullshit letting people get brownie points for following the law was and cracked down on people claiming that.

Don't even get me started on "natural" products.
>>
>>33904314
I love when they call it "wholesome"
>>
>>33904359
Critics claim that weasel words are amazing.
>>
>>33904252
That's partly a result of there being so damned many middle-men between farmer and market taking their cut. I don't know about the rest of the world, but where I was raised, more than one livestock owner doing things the "right" way mentioned that when they took the animals to market, the majority of the time they were getting four hundred dollars for every five hundred it took to raise bloody the thing.
>>
>>33904393
The fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>33904249
Hey man, I'm just sick of all the hippies who like to point out that "you may as well be eating the shit living under your fridge" because once in a blue moon a single bug falls into one of the vats at the Hershey factory. You know what Captain BO? I am aware that there are barely detectable amounts of ground up bugs in my food and I don't care, because the amount in there is not enough to make me sick or to make my food taste "buggy". If there were heads would be rolling over at the FDA because their whole job is to make sure there's not enough bugs in my food to effect me in any way. Okay that's not their whole job but it's a big part of it.
>>
>>33904432
Weasel words are those phrases that make a product or service sound better but are completely meaningless.
>>
>>33904503
Ah, Marketing, you glorious monster.
>>
>>33904432
He's using weasel words. Statements that seem to mean something, but at best mean something else, and at worst mean nothing at all.

"Critics claim" sounds authoritative at first glance, but it's an empty statement because it doesn't say which critics claim this fact, or what their qualifications are.

Nine out of ten Shadowrunners agree that my explanation is the best.
>>33904152
>>33904249
Oh well. Thanks, anyway. I'll just wing it, I guess.
>>
>>33904499
The FDA's job isn't to prevent your food from being unhealthy. Hippies arn't just the people pointing out that your food habits are crap. It is most mainstream doctors.

Fuck, most of the stuff in food that is actually hurting you are the things people put in it to get rid of stuff people think is "icky."

>>33904531
Actually advertising is what uses weasel words. Technically it is just a communication strategy that can also be used in public relations too, but mostly you see it in advertising.

Marketing is the strategic level, Advertising is the tactical level. Think the message they intend to impart vs how they impart it.
>>
>>33904543
>"Critics claim" sounds authoritative at first glance, but it's an empty statement because it doesn't say which critics claim this fact, or what their qualifications are.

While not exactly like when journalists quote "a reliable source", it shares some of the same DNA.
>>
>>33904597
>The FDA's job isn't to prevent your food from being unhealthy.

That is one of the two reasons they were founded, so yes it is.
>>
>>33904249
Eh, eating nothing but insects is probably FAR healthier than eating any other single source of protein. It has folic acid and more actual protein per pound than any other meat.
>>
>>33904786
The FDA ensures your food is edible. Most food you eat is really bad for you.
>>
>>33904597
>>33904786
It's really only meant to insure that your food and medicine isn't outright inedible or poisonous. Bugs are an unknown factor (they could be covered in pesticides and the like), so they're prohibited from being in most foodstuffs to the extent that's possible.
>>33904616
This is a fact. Any time the source of a quote isn't named, there's a high chance it's because the quote is shady. It might have been taken out of context from what the original speaker said, or (in the case of a controversial opinion) come from a highly biased source.
>>
>>33904796
And if someone could process them into a form that is palatable maybe more people would eat them. But until the day you can give insect guts the taste and texture of something far more appetizing people are going to stick with cows, pigs, chickens, and so on.
>>
So, in a given scenario, while on a job, the runner team has been taken captive by Lonestar/KE/ect., and once taken in for questioning, are for whatever reason willing to give up the Mr. J that hired them; so starting from that point, exactly how many legal flaming hoops would a competent and motivated investigating officer have to jump through to get someone actually responsible in front of a judge?
>>
>>33904786
The FDA doesn't make sure your food is healthy. And not in the sense that meat is a sometimes food.

Safe to eat doesn't mean eating it won't slowly kill you or cause epigenetics to make your kids fat, allergic to soy, or gluten intolerant.

The fact of the matter is your diet is probably extraordinarily unhealthy if you live in america. Doesn't matter if you eat out of Mac Donalds or Whole Foods, if you eat processed junk you are poisoning your body. I have worked in a health foods bakery that supplies all of those super hippy stores, I have seen what goes into something that has "high standards" and it shouldn't be going into your body.

I can still smell the spoiled milk covering the floors.

>>33904854
No one is saying you shouldn't eat meat besides radical hippies. Just make sure it isn't the primary part of your diet and that you can source your food, because the FDA is not out to protect you.

Also it looks like no one is going to bother with fake bug meat because the texture is entirely unsuited for it and because fake meats are never popular. I think the highly addictive snack-food angle is a smart move. I have seen people just shovel chips into their mouth even as they complain they taste like garbage because they have been conditioned to eat it for its own sake.
>>
File: screen-mass-effect-3.png (461 KB, 679x565) Image search: [Google]
screen-mass-effect-3.png
461 KB, 679x565
>>33904852
>>33904616
Sounds like pic related.

I'm sure there is a huge business in all this in Shadowrun.
>>
>>33904886

It's a bit like spy work, in a way. Maybe that Johnson wasn't actually affiliated with a corp formally. If he's not on the books, or turns out to be actually SINless or something, there might be a chance. If he's corp though they can probably either tell the legal system to fuck off, or fabricate or bribe up enough of a alibi. Other than that, it could well be down to he said/she said, and that's the Johnsons game.

On the whole though, I'd say sweet fuck all, if you want someone actually RESPONSIBLE.

And remember the Johnson isn't responsible, he's just ONE of the middlemen. Probably the last one of many, really.

You'd have more luck seeking a Punisher style resolution.
>>
File: 1331692001883.jpg (26 KB, 300x254) Image search: [Google]
1331692001883.jpg
26 KB, 300x254
>>33904796
>healthier than eating any other single source of protein

/fit/ here. I'm pretty sure milk wins unless you're not a mammal.
>>
>>33904913
>allergic to soy

Oh no, God forbid people be allergic to disgusting crap!
>>
>>33904984
It's exactly like that.

And considering there's already a huge business in weasel words in real life (seriously, try to find ONE company that doesn't tell use evasive language advertising their products), you're probably right.
>>
>>33904984
Motherfucker you just improved the quality of education for someone some where.

>>33905026
Milk is AWFUL for you, it is a high caloric beverage with a terribly low protein content compared to basic standbys like fish. There is a reason most mammals don't drink milk. And many humans can't drink milk for the same reason. I hereby revoke your /fit/ credentials. Shit is like recommending diet coke as a work out drink.
>>
>>33904984
Well obviously. Really, international power struggles aside, Aztechnology's main beef with Horizon was that someone came along that was even better at this sort of turd-polishing than they were.
>>
>>33905026
>"I'm from /fit/, Milk is good for you!"
Next you are going to try to tell me cardio kills gains.
>>
>>33905076
>And many humans can't drink milk for the same reason

Maybe you and your bitch digestive system can't. Lactose tolerant master race, report in!
>>
>>33905168
I would fucking die if I was lactose intolerant.

But milk is a fucking awful source of protein.
>>
>>33905076
Sorry forgot to finish my thought for >>33904984 because of those dirty milk pushers.

I plan to use this now when I tutor and eventually teach.

It contains so much spin I actually got motion sickness.
>>
Sup /tg/ my players just managed to score there first Corporate Johnson through a connection, a mid Mid Level manager for Ares.

The problem is I think it would make sense for this Jhonson to test them with a milk run before sending them on any real missions, and I can't really think of any fitting milk runs.

I had thought "Start a gang war to increase gun sales in the area" but a gang-war in Seattle seems a bit below Ares notice, any suggestions?
>>
>>33905361
Food Fight.
>>
>>33904913
Man. I worked in a regular bakery and while far from healthy as far as 'not eating a ton of fucking carbs and sugar', everything was pretty damn clean. Maybe your hippy owner was just a shitty manager?
>>
>>33905361
>Take these guns and cameras we're loaning you and go shoot up some punkass gangers. Make sure to wear masks and get lots of good shots we can use for our next street-level ad campaign.
>>
>>33905361
Courier Duty is a classic.
Deliver a bunch of guns to a Gang gearing up for a Gang War.
>>
>>33905419
I worked the freezers. Nuff said.
>>
>>33905361
>>33905451
Considering I forgot to say the group is Pink Mohawk, I am really liking yours so far.
>>
>>33905456
I worked in a grocery store stockroom.

Any freezer that has milk in it inevitably ends up smelling rancid. That stuff is not designed to be frozen.
>>
>>33905482
>If you can get us the rights to a good song from some new indie-band to play over the footage, it's an additional 10%
>>
>>33905482
Oh, and now that I've thought of another one;

>Our major local competitor is having a shareholders meeting. Here's one share each for all of your best fake SINs. Just go there a be yourselves.
>>
>>33905689
Get out of my head Charles!
>>
>>33905711
While I'm not a huge fan of Pink Mohawk, I do find it both easy and very entertaining to spin ideas for; basicly, any scenario that'd look bitching painted on the side of a van, turned in to an AMV or described by Mr. Torque is pretty much an automatic success.
>>
>>33905780
I don't like the distinction. Pink Mohawk usually is used as a parody of things people don't like and has an inconsistent definition, where as people who identify as BT generally don't understand the real methods of criminals or the setting that well.

"Shadowrun is a setting where doing X just makes sense, so just do it" is my motto.
>>
>>33905807
A perfectly fair point, and like most distinctions, it means different thing to some people. I just use if for campains that flatout run on rule-of-cool, with no parody aspect required, but encouraged if the players enjoy it.
>>
>>33905898
Yeah. Some people seem to seriously think you are supposed to light your guns on fire after a run.
>>
>>33905932
>light your guns on fire

Speaking from conversations with a friend of a friend who can neither confirm nor deny having once known a guy, disassembling the gun, wiping the parts down, then putting the grip, trigger and barrel as far away from each other as conveniently possible without arousing suspicion is generally more than enough. And that's only if you fucked up enough to actually have to shoot someone.
>>
>>33906020
See, the thing is in setting shooting someone on a run isn't even unusual. The caution against indiscriminate murder is about killing people wageslaves care about, like the friendly local hab-guard, not random corpsec #21.

No one involved in the shadowrunning system cares enough to blow money tracking you down over that.

>Cloaca dunexe

Thanks for alerting me to what I assume is a brad of dragon condoms captcha.
>>
>>33906060
>killing people wageslaves care about, like the friendly local hab-guard, not random corpsec #21.

I know it's not really related, and not that I'm trying to start up that old debate again, but you've stumbled upon me biggest pet peeve about the people taking the whole "Johnson betrayals NEVER happen" stance. They all seem to think that runs take place in some kind of vaccum where everyone responds to everything comepletly logically and no one ever take their cousin getting killed or their pet project ruined personally.
>>
>>33906169
As a rule Johnson betrayals DON'T happen. Actually look at spy-games for info on that. Johnsons who act like rogue agents tend to die very quickly, either from runners or their own parent corp.
>>
>>33906212
Is spy games a usable book? From what I have glanced of it it seems nearly as broken as war.
>>
>>33906258
Sure.
Master of 1000 Faces is bitching.
>>
>>33906265
Yeah. Fluff segments are really good, and while some of the tech is a bit of power creep unlike WAR! it wasn't made by rogue freelancers who just used the non-term milspec to excuse it.

Apparently there are Johnson colleges.
>>
>>33906212
I'm aware of that, it just gets on my proverbial tits that some people respond to the idea of it ever happening at all as though if there's no logical reason for someone to do it, it never happens. It just completely discounts the possibility of someone involved in the job getting greedy, arrogent, spiteful, paranoid or basicly any of a hundred different variations of just being plain (meta)human.
>>
>>33903014
SR4, where you don't even need implants to hack. Trode nets, woo!
>>
>>33906258
If nothing else, it gives you some nice hidden gadget rules. I'd post the pic of the guy asking about hiding a weapons-grade laser in his cyberdick, but damned if I can find where I put that right now.
>>
>>33898442
>>Mage: "I cast fireball"
I see that when they say "Geek the mage" they don't always talk about enemy mages.
>>
>>33904499
>>33904786
>this chummer actually trusts and believes that a government organization does what it claims to do
What version of Murica are you playing in?
>>
>>33906313
There are logical reasons for it to happen of course. It just is really important to stress to newbies that it won't happen even if you REALLY piss off everyone in the building.

You need to be a special kind of asshole to earn a betrayal.
>>
Is there any mechanical reason to play a Vampire?
>>
>>33906400
They are really strong to the point most of the vampires I have seen played were played for pure mechanical benefit.

The increased magic cap, and the ability to burn essence to get magic and then quickly regain essence by eating someone are great benefits, as is regeneration.

But the kicker is getting immunity to normal weapons at will.
>>
>>33905026
>milk wins unless you're not a mammal
TIL asians aren't mammals
>>
>>33906419
>TIL asians aren't mammals
Why do you think their tits are so small?
>>
>>33905026
>I'm pretty sure milk wins unless you're not a mammal.
GOMAD is shit and Milk is hyped-up garbage. Eat some eggs or beans if you want protein.
>>
>>33906427
Because after treasure chests, flat chests are best chests.
>>
>>33906412
Vampires don't get Immunity to Normal Weapons, they get Regeneration. Admittedly in some ways this can be nastier, but it's possible to fail a regeneration check, not to mention just not heal enough to repair all the damage you took and then just stay dead.
>>
>>33906400
Mist Form for Immunity to Normal Weaponry, as well as infiltrating any location that isn't Hermetically sealed.

Essence Drain a chump, then burn through a few points of that Essence to temporarily boost your Magic.

Regeneration

The ability to play a Child Character and hide behind the justification of "it's a classic, why are you trying to make it weird, jeez".
>>
>>33906444
Chicken is a pretty ridiculous source of protein.

Eggs are an amazingly shitty source of protien. 1 Egg should generally get you 40% of your daily cholestoral and a measly 8% of your protien needs if you are not looking for mad gains.

Eating enough eggs or drinking enough milk for a muscle building regimen will kill you faster or much faster respectively than being a couch potato.

Beans do have protein, but they are not much more efficient than fish and are much less efficient than chicken.

>>33906472
Mist form grants immunity to natural weapons and lets you keep regeneration.

>>33906492
I find it charming how much they balanced vampires around the idea you would be a decent, reluctant vampire who didn't want to drain too much essence. If you just drain out the SINless and burn their corpses to ash it is just too easy to be at max essence at all times.
>>
>>33906492
>The ability to play a Child Character and hide behind the justification of "it's a classic, why are you trying to make it weird, jeez".
Technomancer or convice the GM to play when the Otaku were still around. Boom, done.

Just don't ramble on and on about dress up and I won't think less of you. You're wearing practical, clean, non-exposing clothes. Please and thank you.
>>
>>33906517
What if our run takes us to a bunraku parlor, what then
>>
>>33906532
>What if our run takes us to a bunraku parlor, what then
I'll give the GM a long-suffering "Are you REALLY doing this with THIS kind of party" look and deal with it.
>>
>>33906393
Now, just to be clear, I suspect part of the problem is that when I use the term, I'm also talking about jobs where the J is either vastly understating/paying them for the trouble they'll run in to, and/or secretly sending them to do something that will piss off someone they'd rather not have angry at them and leaving them to twist in the wind. Not all betrayals end with the Johnson's goons trying to kill you.
>>
File: images-1.jpg (9 KB, 268x188) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
9 KB, 268x188
>>33906517
Frankly shadowrun really justifies any child PC save face.

I mean adept kids can be just as strong as adults, as can mages and hackers. And the real world is a pretty screwed up place for kids, let alone a world where a vast majority of children have no human rights, no family, and can only survive by joining absurdly powerful and violent crime gangs. A augmented street samurai or child assassin really wouldn't be something people double take at. Teach a kid to shoot and you have an easy to control soldier in real life. In shadowrun you could add some used cyberware to some promising kid.

>>33906550
That is generally a run under false pretenses. Generally the Johnson would understand that an important run is more likely to succeed if the runners know their opposition and many jobs are one shot in nature, but I suspect those situations would be common enough to runners to be considered bog standard.
>>
>>33905076
What about cheese? Note, no matter the answer it won't stop me from loving the fuck out of cheese, but I'm curious
>>
>>33904886
>>33905001
Most of the time, the thing that saves shadowrunners a lot of effort is that while the data to puzzle events together is out there, it needs justification to throw money at it and get the data sorted into a big picture. Once you have the runners, you have enough to deal with them, but the whole point of the shadowrunner / mr johnson exercise is that you then never have enough to finger the corporate employee behind it. (and therefore can't initiate legal proceedings between two corporations. There are some good sources in 1e/2e for actual corporate laws to check up on.
>>
I've got a Vodou bokor in my 5e party, so I'm starting to actually have to look at spirits, possession, etc. Last session, in preparation for the next run, he bound a force 4 guardian spirit to the crew's Roadmaster, so he could use the Movement power on it.

>Using Movement on vehicles is tougher than it is on critters and characters. If the target is a vehicle, the crit- ter makes a Magic + Willpower test with a threshold of half the vehicle’s Body (round up), with a minimum of 2. If the critter meets the threshold in this test, multiply the hits by the vehicle’s Acceleration Rating and add the result to (or subtract it from) the vehicle’s Speed in the next Combat Turn, as if making an Acceleration or De- celeration Test. The critter can continue to make Magic + Willpower Tests to increase or decrease the vehicle’s speed each Combat Turn that it sustains this power and the vehicle remains in its domain/terrain.

So if I'm reading this right, the spirit needs to make a threshold of 9, but then it increases the speed of the vehicle by 9 catagories? And 8 won't do shit?
>>
>>33906584
>In shadowrun you could add some used cyberware to some promising kid.
So what you're saying is that we should dump a third of our money into making an orphanage for SINless in which we raise the PCs for our next campaign? Because that's a great idea.
>>
File: NP.jpg (64 KB, 358x450) Image search: [Google]
NP.jpg
64 KB, 358x450
>>33906596
It is bad for you and the fact the american diet focuses way too much on cheese and meat is part of why we are so fat.

It is ok to eat as long as you don't eat a pound a day like most people do, but it has a lot of saturated fat and a really high concentration of calories so you need to be aware of how much you are eating and maintain an active lifestyle.

I eat pizza all the time but because I exercise and generally make it myself without drowning it in oil it is fine. Being healthy doesn't mean giving up cheese, it means not being a disgusting fat pig.

>>33906584
Pictured: Child assassin shadowrunner.
>>
>>33906584
>Frankly shadowrun really justifies any child PC save face.
If you ignore the "social infiltration" part of being Face, a Child Technomancer of a Charisma Stream can be a pretty awesome face.
On the Matrix nobody can tell you're a Kid.

You can also take the Chatty Quality for a flat +2 to all Social Tests through an electronic medium, as well as perhaps asking your GM to allow Emotisofts as a Complex Form.

Bam, Child Face
>>
>>33906584
Kinda. For the amount it costs due to black-market inflation and such for most groups that would field child-soldiers, the kid would have to be a fucking Mozart of violence. Not saying it's impossible, but I'd still raise an eyebrow if a player came to me with a character like that.
>>
>>33906630
Attitude points out that you will find shadowrun recruits from a few specific places: The main recruiting grounds are lifelong unaffiliated SINless criminals, ex-millitary, the corporate world, and then of all places academia for all those mages and computer science majors. Then you get ex-police, career criminals who belong to some crime ring. Most rarely you get runners dedicating time and effort to train either their kids or people they adopt or apprentice to be runners. It isn't common, but the idea of a second generation is definitely a thing that people think of.
>>
>>33906672
>It isn't common, but the idea of a second generation is definitely a thing that people think of.

And one of of those second-gen is currently admining Jackpoint.
>>
>>33906639
Good thing I live in Europe and eat cheese mostly as part of my morning sandwiches then.
>>
>>33906666
>Not saying it's impossible, but I'd still raise an eyebrow if a player came to me with a character like that.

And you don't raise an eyebrow to magic 6 wizkids, super amazing deckers who trained themselves, or ex-special forces military? How about my true blue adept ninja?

Shadowrun PCs are by their nature special snowflakes because they are the kind of shadowrunner with the skills and ability to not bite it on their first run.

Besides, a used set of dermal plating only costs maybe 700 nuyen assuming the people setting up the child soldier operate as fences. The AK he is being handed costs more than that.

Explains how the kid got into the front door of running with augmentation, and anything more serious can be from runs he or she did before joining the group.
>>
>>33906641
>>33906641
>Child Technomancer

> Princess Chromatic is Sprite in the form of a shark-teethed fairy with razor wings that talks in three voices and seems to be based on code donated by some enigmatic AI

> Despite her appearance she always speaks kindly to anyone she meets
Like this?
>>
>>33906720
> child runner that has an AI godmother

RUN! RUN! RUN! RUN! RUN! RUN! FFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffff---
>>
>Be me in UCAS with the gang in Savannah (2nd ED)
>Get new job travel to Baton Rouge get a hard drive from some place, cause Mr. Johnson flashed a shit ton of Nu Yen in our faces
>Get to place ram rental van through front gate.
>Proceed to fuck shit up in front of building.
>Weird dog things come running out the front door and our near invincible 9ft cyber & bio teched up cyclops runs like a scared bitch in the opposite direction. So does the mage.
> Leaves me the sniper guy and a soldier dude to clear the front gate
> Cyclops still running away cleared the front and shit.
>Soldier goes in first, almost dies to nerve gas, take different route, I almost lose a leg to a land mine
>Finally reach server room start removing hard drives and shit
>Hear fuckhuge explosion from the front of the place
>cyclops blew up the god damn van
>Fucking attack chopper comes flying in trying to wreck our shit almost kills the cyclops
>shot that shit down with a missile launcher on the cyclops' back
>Need new vehicle look in garage see brand fucking new sports car top of the line, an ok sedan, and some shitty van.
> party says I'm the only one with drive skill and we need the van so we can bring the cyclops
>tfw no sports car after killing an attack chopper
>>
>>33906618
I'd imagine that's a typo or something, probably supposed to be net hits.

Otherwise shit would just get insane with sports cars.
>>
File: 1401267233621.gif (99 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1401267233621.gif
99 KB, 640x360
You guys already forgot about the loli Ms. Johnson whom only offers reaver jobs full of horrifying mayhem and slaughter. She does treat you to hamburger though.
>>
>>33906715
>Ninja adepts
I love how that being a normal thing in the setting isn't even an exaggeration, between the actual revival of the ninja clans and just the entire concept of the invisible way.

Also isn't one of the default character concepts some retired elite magical detective?
>>
>>33906715
>because they are the kind of shadowrunner with the skills and ability to not bite it on their first run.

Well now we're just getting in to semantics, because when I run a game, I assume that by the time the campaign starts and the party meets each other in whatever bar it is, they've all got a half-dozen or more runs under their belts with teams that just didn't work out, and have already beat the odds to be among the 10% (or whatever the stat is, I can't remember) who survive their first three months of running.
>>
There was a loli paraplegic elf mage in our game but I think it's been overruled.
>>
>>33906811
>paraplegic
> Runner

That raises a lot more questions since it's not just a question of "appropriate" characters and flavour anymore.
>>
>>33906735
AI teammates or teammates with anything relating to AIs, not even once.

I've basically said goodbye to any form of privacy with the AI on my team. And he's so awful about it. I take a peek at a teammate's diary? Everyone gets to know. That same teammate has been in a coma for two weeks and is currently being impersonated by a social infiltrator? Nah, no need to tell me. I'll just find out on my own later after it's too late to fix anything.
>>
>>33906829
I was to push them in their wheelchair until they got shot and died with their 1 Body.

I assume I could run doing this.
>>
>>33906786
Yeah, our team has a legit shinobi in it, who's actually from the goddamn Koga Clan.
She's quite the little murder-machine when she gets going, not quite on par with Hachi or Outlaw in terms of body count or style, but genuinely pretty damn effective.
>>
>>33906672
Slamm-O! is a second-gen runner, for example.
>>
>>33906788
If you are genning with core book rules and not doing it at street level then a character is supposed to be either a somewhat seasoned runner, amazingly talented, or some sort of pseudo elite.

Even street level characters still end up being a very weird bunch, because ninja adepts exist at the low end of the power scale as well as the high end, and it is just as easy to learn elf martial arts as well. Trying to deride special snowflakes in most games is just poor form, but in shadowrun it is downright silly. The game doesn't work if everyone tries to make average Joes or play as one outside of specific game structures.

>>33906786
In 4e the occult investigator used to be a part of that elite magical gumshoe squad, but in 5e (Which did admittedly lower the power creep) they are supposed to be private. Doesn't change the fact a valid concept is "Private ghostbuster who can shoot lightning."

>>33906829
The paraplegic quality specifically mentions most runner teams don't care if your legs work if you are a mage or a hacker. Mages are hard enough to get and can project their power anyway, where as with hackers it doesn't even remotely matter.

>>33906864
My team also has a ninja in it, though I admit that I am playing very fast and lose with the canon ninja and Yakuza in my game. To the point I just am ignoring their structure for the most part.
>>
>>33906788
My groups first time Shadowrunning was a huge pain in the ass for the GM because we played it that none of our characters had met each other before our first job together. Some of us didn't even have fixers because, as I said, first time playing. Almost that entire first session in that campaign was the GM figuring out how to get us all in the designated meet up spot at the same time.
>>
>>33902709
Hey, I'm planning the same thing. Didn't know that about the A corporations, that's really interesting and definitely makes for a good setting, thanks!
I think they've got a lot of pirates too, being part of the Caribbean League.
>>
>>33906829
Not that out of the question. The quadraplegic rigger/decker's been a Shadowrun cliche as long as I can remember.
>>
>>33906878
Yeah, it's more "holy shit the fucking Koga" part that surprises me as being an actual option someone took.
I mean, when you think of "ninjas", the two guys you're probably thinking of is actually the Koga-ryu and the Iga-ryu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C5%8Dga-ry%C5%AB
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iga-ry%C5%AB
>>
>>33906854
>>33906829
Why not just use the Transys Steed from Arsenal? It's a drone wheelchair capable of going up and down stairs thanks to smart tires, for all of 4k¥.

My group recently used it to extract a corpse.
>>
>>33906914
There's also the Evo Orderly, same thing but it has legs instead of wheels.
>>
>>33906886
I have figured out a really good way to get around the problem of "First session shadowrun" which inevitably sucks.

I always make sure the first run is super simple. Braindead simple. In my current campaign I set it up so that the runners were hired as a team to collectively hit a stuffer shack across the street from the real target that another team was going to hit. This had the bonus of breaking the stereotype that any sort of violence or noise was automatically a "Run failure, everyone dies" situation and can not only be a valid choice, but even the point of the run.

I also make sure that if anyone in the party has a fixer that all of them are hired by that fixer. Doesn't matter if not everyone has a fixer, as long as they have any shadow presence they are getting sub-contracted for the job.

Then I just make sure that the run goes smooth as all hell so that they have an IC reason to think that setting up as a team is a good choice. Maybe have the fixer mention teams get paid way better per-person than solo operators because they can take more complicated jobs.

>>33906908
Our ninja is a shark changeling mystic adept adopted by a yakuza ninja clan and who parted on pretty amazing terms. Shark in both mentor spirit and apperance. And no, he isn't based on Kisame.

He is pretty amazingly deadly and versatile, but his style is pretty non-standard for a ninja. His character is about as violent as you can get while still calling yourself an infiltrator. Still talented and competent enough to be the team's go to guy for much of the run.
>>
>>33906914
I think it was part of the joke.
>>
>>33906940
So not a fan of that sneaky rewrite. The Evo Orderly is supposed to be an anthroform med-drone. Artist didn't get the memo. Words are cheaper to replace.
>>
>>33902709
Man, what I wouldn't give for a new in-depth Miami/Carib League source book.
>>
>>33906908
Strictly speaking, doesn't telling someone you're a ninja kind of defeat the basic point of the role?
>>
>>33906950
Our GMs solution to the none of knowing each other, and one of the party members killing another one over a disagreement, was to have our characters all share a common origin, that being membership in a go gang. Which meant we all had to have at least a few points in pilot groundcraft and a motorcycle on our vehicle tab. There was the small mistake made of not specifying that we should have all probably chosen the same type of bike, this resulted in four of the PCs having street bikes, and one having an offroad bike. But overall it was still a much less rocky start than the first campaign.
>>
Hey, this is my first time ever making a Shadowrun character, did I do it all right? I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me if I've totally fucked up or something.
>>
File: Archer.jpg (61 KB, 933x857) Image search: [Google]
Archer.jpg
61 KB, 933x857
>>33906980
>not telling people you're a ninja

Then why be one?
>>
>>33906950
So rather then being born or made into a shinobi, he was a yakuza hitman basically used infiltrator skills?
They actually draw that line in the setting; you can have ninja skills and not be a ninja, because ninja skills is just being quiet and killing people efficiently and quickly.
Then there's the actual guys, who are basically trained into clans or even BORN into them, who go around kill people for money.
>>33906980
Yeah, she never told us this about her character.
She just did her job with great skill and efficiency and we simply assumed she was an adept assassin who favored infiltration and old-school weaponry, which isn't so weird as we have a samurai-esque adept, right?
It wasn't until we found out about her very specific contacts and met her scary-ass dad and went to Neo-Tokyo that we figured out who she WAS, exactly, and even then some of the details are vague.
Also, I guessed at it when I accidentally saw her Honor Code's name; "Tenchudo".
>>
>>33907008
I didn't go over the rest of it, but you have a rating 6 fake SIN.

This is a bad choice for a number of reasons when making a starting character - it doesn't fall under availability 12 (you can't take it during chargen), it's too expensive to burn (you blew a lot of money on a single disposable asset), and unique to r6 fake SINs - it has your real biometric data & samples. (if you're discovered to have been at a crime scene - which they can verify through your biometrics - they can use ritual magic to find you)

Start again, ensure everything you buy is Availability 12 or lower.
>>
>>33907054
Ah, that's exactly the kind of thing I thought I might miss. Thanks.
>>
>>33906980
Not really. Assuming that ninjas know anything about social engineering then being super overt is a valid tactic. I believe Apollo refers to the tactic of a super overt gambit like that "as kissing the dog", but I can't find a source for why he calls it that.

Besides, enough invisible way adepts exist that just saying you are a ninja wouldn't instantly out you as a member of a ninja clan in SR.

>>33907029
He was adopted as a small child actually, so in canon he would be a real shinobi.

I am more running the Yakuza and Ninja clans super lose by A: Making it so the Seattle yakuza have a ninja clan fully attached to it rather than being a weird mercenary group they regularly hire, B: Changed all the Yakuza personalities in the UCAS around to suit my needs for the game, and C: Changed some bits about the Yakuza orginization as a whole in the setting.

It is all kinda out there and rather contrary to canon but it is shaping up to be a great story.
>>
>>33907054
Rating fake 6 SINs don't have your real biometric samples.

Furthermore in SR biometric data isn't the smoking gun it used to be. Hell, even having someone's actual SIN isn't strictly enough to verify them 100% of the time, which is the only way fake SINs exist.
>>
>>33907054
Rating 6 fakes aren't tied to your real data, because then they would be real.

You are pulling a gattaca with a fake SIN and have a fridge full of hair, urine, and blood.

Also, what HyperReal said >>33907089 was correct. Even having a SIN a few letters away from someone often enough gets you confused for them. The system is a wreck and isn't actually helpful in tracking you down.
>>
>>33907078
I see. That's neato.
Also, fun fact; if they were legitimately Japanese, they probably wouldn't even use the word "ninja".
>>
File: Mammon.jpg (57 KB, 482x623) Image search: [Google]
Mammon.jpg
57 KB, 482x623
>>33906940
My character uses a modified floating version of that to lounge/move around while pretending not to be a shadowrunner. Due to have a neurotic condition that causes him increasing pain the more he stands on his feet.
>>
>>33907113
He is actually Japanese, and I don't think any ninja character has said ninja or shinobi yet except in the brackets we use to denote someone is speaking another language.
>>
>>33907123
How does it float? Is it a skimmer or did you go full pink mohawk and give it improved take off and landing?
>>
>>33907172
It isn't even remotely hard to make things hover in shadowrun.
>>
>>33907177
That doesn't answer my question, I know there are many ways you could make a thing float provided your GM doesn't just go "no, that's stupid."
>>
>>33906897
I ran something like that before yeah, which was fun. It was an experiment for me after playing a large number of more "heroic" runners to try playing a truly nasty piece of work.

So I ended up with a wheelchair-bound rigger who'd been abandoned when the japanese forces pulled out of california. Luckily for her since she was mostly committing her drone-based atrocities from secure command locations no-one knew she was actively involved, so she managed to avoid any serious retribution.

She was bitter and vindictive like only a cripple and metahuman who grew up in imperialist japan could be, and had her safehouse rigged up like a goddamn SAW movie.
>>
>>33907203
>>33907172
I imagine there are floating pads on the underside of it. I just shell out the nuyen and have or mechanic do the stuff I want.
>>
>>33907125
It's not the saying of it being taboo or anything: it's that "ninja" isn't even a Japanese word.
It's how you read the characters ?? in kango, which is Chinese-derived and differently pronounced then the actual spelling of it in Japanese, since there's certain characters partially based off of Chinese ones; it's kinda like Japanese speakers trying to sound Chinese and vice-versa, though it's more complex then that.
How you actually pronounce that in proper Japanese is "shinobi", which is a shorthand slang for "???", or "shinobi-no-mono", which is basically saying "a hidden/invisible person". In documents from various periods of history spies were usually called by colloquialisms or simply just "shinobi".
Ninja simply became more common in the west as the word in question because we encountered the Sino-Japanese version first, and because it's more comfortable for English speakers to say most likely.
Later (after several decades of occupation) it floated in the Japanese language much more commonly, but even still the phrase is very rarely ever used in actual sentences since it has no real placement or structure in proper Japanese grammar.
>>
>>33907209
I wanted to make a rigger/mechanic but tools are so fucking expensive.
>>
>>33906618
Me again, I'll be using the houserule suggested for vehicles.

New question though; besides the vodou guy, I also have a shinto priestess joining the party, so I want to give their spirits some character. Could I base them off of the Guede(mentor spirit is Baron Samedi) for the vodou guy, and the kami for the shinto chick, or do spirits not normally take on those specific of forms, and those would be free spirits/mentor spirits/something else?
>>
>>33907249
You're actually kinda supposed to base them off spirits from the individual traditions actually.
Seeing "shinto" as the Japenese spellcasting tradition still bugs me, I gotta get over that knee-jerk honestly.
>>
>>33906914
>>33906940
Orderly is best. It's half the price as the Steed at the same speed, with more features built in.
>>
>>33907276
Gotcha, I can't sleep so I'm going through the pantheons and taking notes on appearance, personality, etc. It just seems odd to have Susanoo or Izanagi on your summon list.
Yeah, but what can ya do?
>>
>>33907293
Well Susanoo and Izanagi are Mentor Spirits actually, not kami you summon.
Remember, there's THOUSANDS of kami in shinto, one for literally every single thing and object on the planet, most with little power but some with great power. A kami of fire is just a kami of fire for instance.
>>
>>33907322
That makes more sense. The Guede are small enough spirits that it makes sense they might pop up to a bokor, but digging through the kami lists on wikipedia wasn't turning out the way I expected.
>>
>>33907347
Yeah, it's hard to make a list for an animistic belief system because by it's very nature it assumes there's a god of literally everything in the world.
>>
>>33907231
Maybe you should go on a few more runs huh?
> Fastjack
>>
>>33907405
Heh.
>>
>>33907089
>Rating fake 6 SINs don't have your real biometric samples
Yes they do.

>Fake SIN details
>Rating 6
>Alternate life; all statistics match; valid biometrics with samples; complete and entirely believable history

>>33907112
If you want Gattaca, that's Rating 5.

>Good fit; all statistics match; valid biometrics for another person (with samples); some supporting data and history)

You guys suck for accuracy. Not constantly, but consistently.
>>
>>33906360
Yeah, I don't know what was going through her head, obviously not the fact that the wooden artifact was in there since it was the only room we hadn't been able to check out before busting in. That char's player is actually my gf.
>>
>>33907008
Take a look here.

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=16224.msg285705
>>
>>33908562
And here.

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=16113.msg283507
>>
>>33906584
Street sammy woudn't work, you'd have to pay extra for augs and they'd stop working after the kid grows larger.
>>
>>33908706
Unless they were purposely stunted, to keep the augs from being damaged or rejected by growth.
>>
>>33906950
I solved the lack of a fixer with my first character by saying he was flat broke and literally just showed up begging for a job.
Anyone else would have been laughed out the door, but magic 6 people aren't that common.
>>
>>33908759
Sure, but at that point it's cheaper to just get an ork. By the time your human sammy is 12, the ork will be mature.
On top of that, he has a higher bod, and there's more of them because they breed in litters and have six nipples.
>>
>>33908820
Not everyone has or wants orcs.

Can't imagine what bone lacing would do to a child, though. I'm happy with the runner community being adult and (generally) mature.
>>
>>33908920
Orks are kinda common everywhere other than japan and the tirs.
>>
>>33908934
They're also relatively common in Japan, they're just treated like absolute shit.
Like, even worse than in other places.
>>
>>33909016
Well, they're uncommon everywhere other than the concentration camps.
>>
>>33908934
You still need to both want an orc, and then acquire an orc.

This also says nothing for provenance or whatever, where you have a human child on hand that fits your requirements and no orc at this time.
>>
>>33909046
Start yourself a breeding program.
The sons of sauron have rape camps (that's where the term breeder comes from) so there's on reason you can't have them too.
>>
>>33909061
>The sons of sauron have rape camps (that's where the term breeder comes from)
You got a sauce to go with that claim, Chummer?
Because if so, i'm totally into it.
>>
>>33909144
Me asking someone in /srg/ where the term breeder came from.
>>
>>33909061
Funny how the Sons of Sauron, despite being a racist hate group and every bit as bad, get so much less shit than Humanis in the Shadowrun fluff.
>>
>>33909176
Humanis?
>>
>>33909026
Nah, the Emperor finally shut those down because he's not a giant monster. I want this Emperor to just go on acting like a normal guy without massive issues with people, and watch the Japanese people (Who I /think/ are back to revering him as a god-figure) tear themselves apart trying to deal with it.
>>
>>33909417
The Humanis Policlub, you know, the pro-humanity hate group, they seem to be contractually obligated to feature in every other official shadowrun mission.
>>
>>33909417
Neo-nazis.
/pol/, but with elves and dwarves instead of jews and orks and trolls instead of black people.
>>
>>33909417
The pro-human political group. Not necessarily the KKK (That's the Alamos 20,000), but super racist. They're the old, 1930s grade Dixie Democrats arguing how segregation needs to go on forever and turning blind eyes to lynchings.
>>
>>33909434
They make great villains because they're monstrous and you can kill them without feeling bad.
>>
>>33909452
True enough, but the Sons of Sauron are every bit as bad and never appear as expendable mooks.
>>
>Quality: Razerboy
>Source: WS 11

What is WS? I can't find it.
>>
>>33903515
Could you tell me what book this is detailed in? My last character's endgame had him shipped off to Mars by Ares for reasons, and I'm wondering what it's like.
>>
>>33909656
Oh you poor fuck.
>>
>>33909709
High tech and full of scientists and watchdog security. Also almost certainly bugs that are 'under control'. Look, the Ares base is one bad day from being Aliens. The Evo base is probably one bad day from being Doom.

You don't want to go to Mars
>>
What's the best way to play an infiltrator in 4e? Adept with Traceless Walk? Illusionist Magician? Some sorta cyberware beast?
>>
>>33909709
>>33909757
Yeah the character didn't see himself with much other choice. He was being hounded by enemies that were willing to send murder teams after him even on the Moon. It took leaving for Mars to get his former teammates to finally fuck off.

I picture his day as half "manual drudgery to keep this colony working" and half "GOD operator of the base's tiny tiny Grid"
>>
>>33909473

Well, same principal with non-white hate groups. People feel a bit awkward acknowledging them.

And Humanis has a pretty strong pedigree. And it's not like the Sons of Sauron are anything more than a well organised gang. Humanis has the whole WASP factor in that makes for an easy villian group.

>>33909783
Cyberware makes for a very flexible sort of infiltrator. The other two are very doable as well, Stealth Mage has a lot going for it, but in many respects it's just a regular mage with slightly more stealth spells. Given how prevalent improved invisibility, stunbolt, and levitate are, stealth mage and regular mage are kinda overlapping.
>>
>>33909783
Adept vampire or banshee, with the relevant biometric (eye and palm print) duplicating nanoware, if you can manage that. Otherwise just facial sculpt, melanin control, keratin control, voice control, and master of 1000 faces.

Mist form in, use your perfect physical fakery to disguise yourself as someone with clearance, take their clothes / gear, and act like nothing happened. If plans go wrong, mist form out.
>>
>>33909966
Don't vampires get hunted down in the streets and killed?
>>
>>33908934
People probably have the complete wrong idea of what racism is like in Japan compared to the US though.
Shadows of Asia even addresses that.
>>
>>33910046
So do shadowrunners.
>>
>>33910046
Depends on the country and if they can identify them. They don't actually look any different from anyone else.
>>33910070
Same answer.
>>
>>33909757
Bug spirits can take people over, right? Sounds more "The Thing, but in space" than "Aliens"
>>
>>33909757
Can bug spirits into space? I thought once you left Earth all things magical got fucked up hard.
>>
>>33910155
It's not an easy process to take someone over though; that can't just decide to do it in the spot, the person needs to be ritually prepared.
>>
>>33910186
Bug Spirits, who are vulnerable to the effects of evanescence outside of a host body even in NORMAL Astral space would still be affected by the mana void, yes.
>>
So from a fluff perspective, is the standard nutrition good for people assuming they don't over-indulge on greasy shit and get enough of it?

Cause IRL algea and soy-based product doesn't seem too bad disregarding some concerns regarding phytoestrogens (which are much less of an issue than the real ones in milk from all the shit they give cows) in soy.

Also, how's the taste? I imagine food colouring and flavouring is pretty advanced.
>>
>>33910259
>>33910259
I've semi-regularly eaten soy products for a long time, and I can tell you that while texture changes when a product is soy-based, the actual flavor is very close or identical in some cases.
As to flavoring, that depends on your Lifestyle rating of course. Some you just get soy that squirts "flavor" onto it like shitty ketchup, better Lifestyle ratings will have flavor-injectors and molders that can perfectly or near-perfectly mimic whatever you want.
Krill is the usual meat substitute as well, quite often, and mycoprotein sometimes.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.