[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dungeon Life Quest (DLQ) 22 - Load Sixteen Tons Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
File: Family Motto.png (31 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
Family Motto.png
31 KB, 600x700
ARCHIVE: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Dungeon%20Life%20Quest
PREVIOUS THREAD: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/44417008/
CHARACTERS AND PLACES: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19gNVgtevar647l4ZumUaVH6GlJzvxLlDNKaH8DrQMWE/edit?usp=sharing

BEGIN PART IV: IRON, COLD IRON
>>
File: death.jpg (49 KB, 642x744) Image search: [Google]
death.jpg
49 KB, 642x744
>>44439137
You are Brianna la Croix, increasingly-trained-and-practiced necromancer, and you have been laid thoroughly by people who are special to you in a way you're not sure you can put into words.

Not that this stops your incredibly relaxed slouch against the back of the bench in Lora's waiting room. Merciful gods, you fucking needed that.

"I see you took my advice," Lora drawls from behind her cigar. "Though there's such a thing as class."

"Lora, I swear, if you puncture my afterglow I'm going to put little jingle bells on each and every one of your feathers and call you the Ghost of Hearthsfire." You take out your pipe, pack it, and pause, thoughtfully. You offer it to the angel and light it for her; she puffs it with a surprised and grateful look.

"Setting off when you get up, then?" she asks, the stem in her teeth.

"Aye. The /Swan Song/ is ready, and we just have to get back up to the Lichyard and launch. If I read the route right, we'll dock at the Company Store and move from there."

"Good, good. Remember, the Miners are a tough, loyal people. They will resent this intrusion into their lands. Treat them with respect and you'll find a fast ally in them. I doubt the Baron would dare to assail the Company Store, not that it means much with the level cut off."

"Noted," you say with a nod.

> "Was there anything else you wanted to talk about?"
> "Do I need to know anything further?"
> "How's things with you and Brigette, if I won't get smote for asking?"
>>
>>44438520
I'ma repost this for the folks that might not have had the chance to answer before the previous thread closed; to the anons who offered your feedback already, my bottomless thanks, and it's much appreciated.

> And at this point I'd like to see if I can get some feedback with questions of my own. What have you enjoyed thus far? What's anon's thoughts and theories on Lora? Favorite/least favorite characters? Do you have an interest in the (potentially upcoming) side plot (RULE THE ROOST)?
>>
File: 1431404229086.jpg (68 KB, 500x748) Image search: [Google]
1431404229086.jpg
68 KB, 500x748
>>44439218
>> "Was there anything else you wanted to talk about?"
>>44439137
IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT
>>
>>44439218
>"Was there anything else you wanted to talk about?"
>>
>>44439218
>>
>>44439218
>>
>>44439218
>> "How's things with you and Brigette, if I won't get smote for asking?"

And just curious but can be answered IC or OOC
>> "Was there anything else you wanted to talk about?"
Does being the Heritor allow us to do anything other than talk to Lora? Can we force her to do something like flip off the other masters when she see them?
>>
>>44439340
She did warn you to be careful about what you say and how, when Bri was on the verge of telling her to "Kneel down and lick my -" early in their relationship. Bri's been careful about phrasing ever since.
>>
>>44439263
>IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT
Gold is for the merchant, silver for the maid
Copper for the craftsman, clever at his trade
Good, laughs the baron, sitting in is hall
But iron, cold iron, is master of them all
>>
File: 1439303778662.jpg (34 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1439303778662.jpg
34 KB, 480x270
>>44439371
Vox, you turned my dumb 40k reference into a spooky nursery rhyme about... slavery??? Or something???
>>
>>44439371
Appropriately enough, that poem doesn't end well for the baron.
>>
File: Cold Iron.jpg (190 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
Cold Iron.jpg
190 KB, 1600x1000
>>44439371
>>
>>44439218
> Ask something else
> "Have you ever been in love?"
>>
>>44439429
She's never had a friend, I don't think she's ever been in love...
>>
>>44439408
Not exactly. It's a mis-quoted version of a poem by Rudyard Kipling; the incorrect version I just gave you was used in the author's note for Fred Saberhagen's Swords trilogy, in one of the earlier printings. Though it is, again, not the original (or remotely correct) form, I tend to prefer it. I feel it flows better.

>>44439411
Indeed.
>>
>>44439218
>"Was there anything else?"
I'm really hoping that the Baron doesn't have some kind of way to fuck with our party with his slave magic or whatever. If it comes to it, Brianna can use her shade-transformation to become technically dead and escape, but Nate and Amy can't.

Also, are there such things as elementals, or do the demons and angels count as? I'd love for us to make friends with some if possible.
>HAHA! I am surrounded by a death ward! Any living thing that enters will die!
>Earth elemental turns him into paste.

>>44439371
Just what the hell is it about iron that makes it fucking Kryptonium to damn near every supernatural creature?
>I AM A MIGHTY MOUNTAIN TROLL! I EAT SHINING MEN IN STEEL PLATE FOR BREAKFAST!
>*kids wave a fucking spoon in his face*
>EEEEEKKKK!!!
>>
File: 1443226927025.jpg (57 KB, 640x365) Image search: [Google]
1443226927025.jpg
57 KB, 640x365
>>44439443
it was spooky and made me nervous.
If I ever made, like, a monty python joke during a game and my GM followed up with a vaguely threatening poem, I'd be equally freaked out of my shit.
the faceless nature of this quest doesn't help the spookiness levels
>>
>>44439218
>> "How's things with you and Brigette, if I won't get smote for asking?"
>>
>>44439350
Can we ask if she's got any simple requests we could give her? Like a workaround of another master's stupid punishment or something?
>>
File: gladius honedge.jpg (158 KB, 885x1920) Image search: [Google]
gladius honedge.jpg
158 KB, 885x1920
>>44439476
>Just what the hell is it about iron that makes it fucking Kryptonium to damn near every supernatural creature?

See, this explanation was on the offing earlier, and you wanted to hear a different story. Now you'll have to wait.

It does have to do with the reason that mortals are sometimes referred to as the Beloved of Iron, and the lands of the Firstborn as the Iron Lands.

Votes called, writing.
>>
>>44439534
You're a cruel man, Vox. Not that I mind.
>>
>>44439489
>the faceless nature of this quest doesn't help the spookiness levels

Faceless?
>>
>>44439561
I'd imagine he's reffering to the other masters who we have no idea who they are
>>
>>44439561
sorry, anonymous would be a more appropriate term. still, I don't know what your face is, Vox.
You're like, this ethereal over-being that provides entertainment and feelings. Also jokes.
But never lewds.
It's intimidating. It would inspire lesser men to worship. Or a drunker me. Drunk me'd worship fuckin anything bigger than he is, and that's a LOT of thing.
>>
>>44439260
Didn't answer fast enough last thread, so have some feedback here.

> What have you enjoyed thus far?
Gods, everything? I love the characters. I love the world, I love the atmosphere. If I have one complaint it's that the villains have gone down easy, but that's become progressively less true with each one, so I figure we're on a good track there.

> What's anon's thoughts and theories on Lora?
I think whatever her job really is, whatever she's done, she needs Bri. And not just Bri the Heritor. She needs Bri the badass necromancer-therapist.

> Favorite/least favorite characters?
Bri is definitely my favorite. I'm not a fan of the old D&D alignment system, but every once in a while a character comes along and shows me what some part of it was supposed to be. Sam Vimes for Lawful Good. Skitter for Chaotic Good. Revy for Chaotic Evil. And now Brianna la Croix for Neutral Good. The alignment in its best and purest form, not made simple, but make /real/.

> Do you have an interest in the (potentially upcoming) side plot (RULE THE ROOST)?
But of course. After all, we need to meet Amy's family also. Plus having access to the Roost sounds damned useful.
>>
>>44439476
>Just what the hell is it about iron that makes it fucking Kryptonium to damn near every supernatural creature?
Not really relevant to the quest itself, but my favored explanation is that iron is simply the most stable element, and the longest-lasting. Everything heavier than iron will undergo radioactive decay, everything lighter than iron will either be fused or be cast off into interstellar space, and one day, a hundred quintillion years from now, there will be nothing in the universe but iron and thin, diffuse gas. And it'll stay that way, until matter itself evaporates as the protons decay.
That's the sort of solidity that echoes through time, and is utterly anathema to anything made of something so ephemeral as magic.
>>
File: Waiting Room Cigarette Case.jpg (27 KB, 340x395) Image search: [Google]
Waiting Room Cigarette Case.jpg
27 KB, 340x395
>>44439218
Lora offers you your pipe back; you take a few puffs, then extinguish it and scrape it out. You watch the angel, thoughtfully. She seems...distant.

"Was there anything else you wanted to talk about?" you finally offer, your voice quiet, comforting.

"...I can't save your friends and lovers, heritor," Lora murmurs. She won't meet your eyes. "Don't ask me to. If they fall, don't ask me to intervene. Don't order me. You would do me a cruelty that I cannot explain to you."

Your mind goes back, to the lonely trudge away from the Blind Marsh, and a little girl holding up the broken body of her alley cat to you, tears in her eyes.

"I think I understand," you whisper.

"...You'll be able to learn who I am soon, Brianna la Croix," the angel continues. Her wings hunch protectively in front of her, concealing most of her form from you. "Can I ask a favor of you?"

"Of course," you tell her, honestly.

"Remember, when you learn my name, that I too am a victim of life, just as you are. I never asked to be made. I've done the best I can, with a life that was handed to me, and I am sorry that it's turned out this way. I'm sorry I had to involve you."

She takes a shuddering breath. Gods, is she crying? The defiant, invulnerable Lora?

"You deserved better," the angel whispers.

> Comfort her
> Remain silent
>>
>>44439736
> Remain silent
>>
>>44439659
>But of course. After all, we need to meet Amy's family also. Plus having access to the Roost sounds damned useful.

This may be a good time to remind you that the last Amy knew, her family was living in the Mine, having moved there shortly before she set off as a professional dungeonbreaker, which would eventually lead to her capture and three year imprisonment.

Also
>Skitter
You have made my heart so happy tonight, anon. So very happy.
>>
>>44439736

Oh, joy, she did something "evil" enough that she expects us to know (and freak out) about it.

> Comfort her
> "So did you."
>>
>>44439736
>> Comfort her
>>
>>44439736
> Comfort her

Is this what the call character development
>>
>>44439736
> Comfort her
>>
>>44439736
>Remain silent
>My immediate family died in a flood, I wasn't about to GET what I deserved any time soon. Besides, I seem to recall I'm only alive now because someone prevented me from death by invisi-croc. Look, I got to see Mom. I don't know if it's enough, but it was a lot.
>>
Called, writing final update of evening. Will leave thread open/unarchived while I pass the fuck out.
>>
>>44439846
whoops, copying error.
meh, just pick whichever
>>
>>44439736
>comfort her
I don't even know what the fuck's going on this just seems like character development.
>>
>>44439736
>comfort her.
>>
>>44439736
>comfort her
>>
>>44439736
>Comfort her.
Compassionate necro-therapist powers activate!
>>
File: It's a rough profession.jpg (28 KB, 480x383) Image search: [Google]
It's a rough profession.jpg
28 KB, 480x383
>>44439736
You stand and cross the room, pocketing your pipe as you go. You reach gently between Lora's wings and brush back a lock of her hair.

"We all get to play the cards we're dealt, Lora," you murmur. "Who knows what future I /might/ have had? I'd lost everything. I was run out of every town I walked into, either for necromancy or for having a sex life at the wrong person. I had a job, not a life. And...that feels like it's changed, down here. You helped make that happen."

Lora looks up, a weak smile on her face. "I did get you eaten by the river beast."

"Yeah, but I got better," you say with a shrug. "We'll revisit whatever it is you think you've done later, okay?"

"You've been a good friend, heritor. I wish I could do more to help."

"Lora, what you've done already has been nothing short of heroic."

The two of you share a brief, tight hug, before steps back and folds her wings behind her shoulders. "Time's up."

You wake up with remarkably little hangover - thank you, advance preparations - to discover three things.

Thing the first: no one remembered any blankets, not that you mind.

Thing the second: Nathan is still sleeping it off.

Thing the third: Amy cannot handle her liquor.

The half-harpy kneels with a miserable groan over a chamber pot, with her arms wrapped around her stomach.

"Mornin' Ames," you murmur.

"Mornin'," comes the dull reply. "I'll be ready soon, I promise."

You stroke her hair with a warm smile wrap her in a one-handed hug. "Last night was amazing."

"Yeah," Amy says dreamily.

> Hurry out as soon as you can get Nate up (advance)
> Have some pity on the poor souls (interaction en route)
>>
>>44440014
>> Have some pity on the poor souls (interaction en route)
>>
> Have some pity on the poor souls (interaction en route)
>>
>>44440014
And that's it for the night folks. I'll see everyone in about six hours; I'll update when I get up, hit my morning chores, and run until I have to go to work. I'll be engaging in Gainful Employment between 2:30 PM EST & 8 PM EST, and get home at around 8:15 PM, at which point - barring COMCAST or real life - I'll be resuming from the morning run.

As always, I vastly appreciate discussion, questions, critique, comments, & criticism. Your feedback helps me improve.

Thank you all for reading and participating. I'll see ya (later) in the mornin'.
>>
>>44440014
>have some pity on the poor souls
>>
>>44440014
>Have some pity on the poor souls (interaction en route).
I hope Brianna's carrying the fantasy equivalent of aspirin.
>>
>>44440014
>Have some pity on the poor souls (interaction en route)
When given the choice of fast forward and character interaction, there is no choice.
>>
>>44440014
>> Hurry out as soon as you can get Nate up (advance)
....you're not TRYING to make a dirty joke, right?
>>
>>44439476
Except for demons, as I recall our Succubus-binding.
(Yes, it is still the material to bind them with, but stabbing isn't allergic as it usually is.)
>>
repost because previous thread closed on it.

>>44433410
>You decide to save the comission from Harry, reasoning that you'll have additional materials to work with once you liberate the Mine.

Even though we're not spending it just yet, we should probably be thinking about what we are going to request, when we do get to that point. To that end, as well as for general world-building, I'd like to know more about blacksmithing in this world, particularly the bits that aren't just IRL blacksmithing in a new location.

For example, what sort of blacksmithing products are there that are suitable gear for a spellcaster? I've gotten the impression from comments during River's early training that decking Bri out in full plate with a greathelm and all the metal we can possibly put between us and enemy weapons and still move, would do bad things to our necromantic abilities. A weapon might work, but aside from what we've the skill to wield, are there any concerns specific to being a caster that impact weapon pros and cons? Also, if a sufficiently skilled blacksmith can make oath-rings, what other magical kit can they do, and is any of it stuff a necromancer would find handy for their necromancing?

For Fetch, how well will kitting him out in armor work? I figure it'd at least need to be customized to his... unusual... body shape and size, and would need to somehow accomodate his quills so it doesn't get in the way of firing them. How heavily armored could we make him without it screwing up his stealth and dodge-ey quickness, which are still significant parts of his combat effectiveness? What, if any, sorts of manufactured weapons would he be able to use, and find useful over what he has built-in (or useful in direct enhancement of what he has built-in)?

Besides weapons, armor, and whatever spellcaster paraphernalia they can do, what other sorts of blacksmithing products are there that would actually be relevant as general adventuring gear? Anything beyond what exists IRL?
>>
>>44440014
>> Have some pity on the poor souls (interaction en route)
yeah like there was a ghost of a chance we won't unanimously pick that
>>
Finally, I can post again.

Votes called, writing shortly after chores and coffee. Will also address armor question.
>>
>>44441964
wait, so it WASN'T just me? Thank god, I thought installing Windows 10 was literally the devil.
>>
>>44441990
It is.
>>
>>44441990
>installing Windows 10
Are you stupid or something?
I will use 7 forever.
>>
>>44439769
>You have made my heart so happy tonight, anon. So very happy.

Vox, you're just saying this because you like Worm. You're not secretly Wildbow. Please tell me you're not secretly Wildbow.
>>
>>44442190
I almost jokingly claimed I was, but I respect the work and the author too much to risk miscommunication on that score. I am not, just a very big fan of the work. Someone introduced me to it awhile back and I ripped through it start to finish in about three days. Skitter was a very well-done protagonist, though to be honest, my favorite was probably Riley.

>>44441041
Barding for Fetch is possible. Built-in weaponry could be designed but would probably be less dangerous than his death-claws.

As far as armor for Brianna, the biggest trouble tends to be that armor is made to withstand magical attacks and to help shield the wearer from the same. You can make it without those protections but if an enemy spellcaster notices they're going to crush you into pulp inside your plate and then drink you like a smoothie. Other concerns include the need to easily access pockets and vital areas to extract blood from self.
>>
>>44442281

What about an armored greatcoat, then? A layer of maile, and thin strips and plates, in a high collared heavy coat?

It'd be protection without awful weight, especially if it's well crafted, and it would leave our hands, head, and chest all pretty accessible. Could even have a bunch of pockets inside, and primarily protect us against attacks from behind.
>>
File: Amy_zpsesezxfce.png~original.png (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Amy_zpsesezxfce.png~original.png
22 KB, 300x300
>>44440014
You get the headache powders ready and ease Amy into being able to do things like stand and move without feeling the need to embrace the bottomless gulf of death itself.

She's very cuddly this morning, not that you're complaining

Nathan's groan of agony announces that he's awake, and you help him sit up and put a glass in his hands. He downs the medicine, shakes himself off, and looks at the two of you.

"...I realize I probably shouldn't be complaining," the Hero says blearily, "but why are the two of you still naked?"

You shrug, palms up, and go to find your clothes.

Within the hour, the four of you - Fetch, Amy, Nate, and yourownself - set off for Split, where your ship is awaiting.

"Either of you ever gone sailing?" you ask. They give you slightly guilty looks, and you sigh deeply. "You people and your growing up on solid land. Okay. I'll steer the boat."

"Would it help if I made it lighter?" Amy offers.

"Not. Even. A little," you tell her firmly. "This got more interesting..."

"Ames," Nate speaks up. "Didn't you say your parents are in the Mine?"

"...Yeah," the bird agrees, tucking her hands into her pockets and hunching her shoulders forward.

> They'll be alright, Ames. They're tough, right?
> We'll find them before we do anything else, I promise.
> Subtly hit Nate, change subject.
>>
>>44442522
Certainly a thing, aye.
>>
>>44442771
>>
>>44442771

> We'll find them before we do anything else, I promise.
Bri's big on family, so she'd think the best of her friend's family. Also, we should want to meet them after freeing Amy from the Vintner, she hasn't seen them for a long while.
>>
>>44442771
>Let's hope we DON'T find them, because whatever method we use to break the bond is going to be HIGHLY experimental
>>
>>44442522
I like this, greatcoats look great with tophats.

>>44442771
>> We'll find them before we do anything else, I promise.

Going on a wildwater ride while hung over, this is going to be so funny. For us.
>>
>>44443030
This is why, when I voted for the party, I said it was a terrible idea. But I loved it then, and I love it now.

Also,
We can't promise to find them first, since we might get into a situation like we did with the town in the Lichyard, where the best we can do for them is to go straight for the goal.
>>
>>44443076
Does River still count as a party member, with regards to acquiring new ones? Is the problem ensemble active cast, or just having too many background characters to keep in mind?
>>
>>44442771
>>44443030
>> They'll be alright, Ames. They're tough, right?
Changing my vote/ clicked the wrong option.

>>44443128
River is not a party member, she's an associated person.
>>
Votes called, writing. Sorry about the slow run thus far today, I'm kinda feeling a bit out of it.
>>
File: Brianna WildWestSciFi Version.png (165 KB, 426x583) Image search: [Google]
Brianna WildWestSciFi Version.png
165 KB, 426x583
>>44442771
You put a hand on Amy's shoulder and squeeze it. "They'll be alright, Ames. They're tough. Your mom grew up in the Roost, same as you."

"...That's what I'm worried about," Amy says in a soft voice. Mom and Dad, they can't do this thing you do, where you...where you fight someone without actually hating them. I don't even know how you do it, Bri. Even Nate seems to enjoy the fight, but you just...do it, the same as you do everything else. Like a job."

"It's not a bad thing to like a good fight," you tell her.

"It's a bad thing when it turns you cruel and vicious. Harpies can get that way pretty easy, Bri. The Roost...the Roost is a bad place."

You acend to the Lichyard at a measured pace, keeping an eye on Nathan so he doesn't kill himself trying to be a Hero all over the two of you. You stop, about halfway up, and sigh.

"Okay you two. Ghost breath. Nate's already done this, but let me tell you Amy - you have to smoke the /whole thing/. Down until it burns your lips."

You murmur over the two cigars, feeling the energy leave your body, and hand them to Nate and Amy before making your own. The lighter comes out and lights everyone up.

"So..." Nate says, through a cough. "Where do you see yourself in five years or so, Bri?"

> Honestly? Probably dead.
> Kids might be nice. Continue the family name.
> Fuck if I know, forward planning has never been a hobby of mine.
> Avoid the question.
>>
>>44443517
>>
>>44443517
>Kids might be nice. Continue the family name.
>I've got some pessimistic feelings about this whole Dungeon business, though.
>>
>>44443517
> No idea; Lora can't tell me.
>>
>>44443517
> Probably either dead or stuck running this place for Lora, if I had to guess.
>>
>>44443517
>>
>>44443517
>> Probably dead. But if not, then fuck if I know, forward planning has never been a hobby of mine.
>>
>>44443517
>Honestly? Probably dead.
We can take some apprentices afterwards.
>>
Alright folks, real life is eating me. I'll leave this open for votes & discussion until I get back from work. Sorry.
>>
>>
>>44443517
>Cooking your meals and co-mothering your children
>>
>>44443517
>> Fuck if I know, forward planning has never been a hobby of mine.
though I could see saying this too
>>
>>44443517

>Knowing me probably either dead or a lich though.
>>
>>44443517

>Then think what it would be like to have mini Bri and Amy running around... It's cute, REALLY!
>>
>>44443517
> And if I had been planning ahead, there's no way in Hell I'd have been able to plan for the Dungeon.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
27 KB, 480x360
>>44439137
>Load Sixteen Tons Edition
I just noticed the title.
>>
>>44444556
I don't get it.
>>
>>44443517
>Honestly? Probably dead.
>>
>>44443517
>>
>>44444752
What do you get? Another day older? And deeper in debt?
>>
>>44444752
Here, anon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6m1qgnUw74

Votes called, writing. Back unexpectedly early, likely last update before work though.
>>
>>44444944
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utE0FhXZeJQ
This one's just for you, Voxy.
>>
>>44444944
Well that seems brilliantly appropriate.
>>
> I owe my soul to the company store.

This could turn out to be a thing literally, in the Mine. Besides immunity to the regenerative aspects of the Mine, and the name itself, what do we know about the Company Store?
>>
In other news, /s4s/ nicked /tg/'s quint fours.
>>44444444
>>
File: 304928.gif (153 KB, 606x423) Image search: [Google]
304928.gif
153 KB, 606x423
>>44443517
"Dunno," you admit around your cigar. "Forward planning's never been my strongest point, as you can probably imagine. And...well, I wasn't really thinking ahead anyway. Just doin' the job. Now that it's settled out a bit I've got some things I know I /ought/ to do. I've gotta train an apprentice or two, I've gotta record any new discoveries I have, make sure I'm buried in the family plot."

"That's all /work/," Amy chides, giving you a playful punch on the shoulder.

"Yeah, well," you say with a shrug. "What can I say, I'm not used to having a life again yet. Plus it can throw you for some unexpected turns. Y'know Grandmother la Croix thought my Aunt would be, well, me?"

"Come again?" Nathan asks, puzzled.

"Aunt Carol was her first apprentice. Grandmother felt like she couldn't be trusted to handle herself, though, and cut her loose early. There was never anything, well, outwardly too wrong, and I think that bugged them both a bit because they knew Grandmother was right but neither of them could say why. So Aunt Carol practiced on her own, right up until Mom died. When some looters broke into Mom's crypt and stole her jewels...well." You sigh. "Aunt Carol renounced the family name and went after them. She tracked them to the village they came from and laid siege to it for more than a month, trying to terrify them into giving up the criminals. In the end, she was killed by a Hero, with a sword through the gut. The men she was after? They'd broken their necks in the Blind Marsh, three hours from Mom's grave. They never got to sell the jewels."

Amy chirps softly and pulls you into a warm hug.

> It's okay, I'm over it.
> I miss her.
> She taught me a lot, even if I didn't know it then.
>>
File: 1432993662286.jpg (43 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1432993662286.jpg
43 KB, 800x533
>>44444433
so close to glorious quints... but I'll still check them dubs
>>
>>44445366
>> She taught me a lot, even if I didn't know it then.
>>
Alright folks, that's the actual final update until I get home from work.

As always, discussion, feedback, criticism, and questions are both welcome and appreciated.

Thank you all for reading and participating! I'll try to talk on the phone when I can, during the slow points at work.

In other news, webcomic progressing nicely. I have high hopes to start the year off with it.
>>
>>44445366
>> She taught me a lot, even if I didn't know it then.
>>
>>44442281
Thanks. What about non-armor equipment from a smith? They can make oath-rings, which are blatantly magical items, are there any other such things they can make? Were Hero's gloves demon-made (not that I want a pair for everyone, Spellcatcher is his thing, but it could serve as precedent for similar kinds of things)? Any caster paraphernalia?

How would shields fit into the being-a-caster situation?

As for armor and weapons, apparently demons can make some really really good ones. Best Bird's suit is apparently pretty awesome, though so far it seems about the only thing we've seen it do that IRL metal couldn't do is glow and be all fiery-looking, so we don't really know yet the extent of its abilities, but what do we know about demon armor and weapons generally? Does their quality just come in the form of being more durable and providing stronger protection / dealing harsher wounds? Can they be made with other sorts of enhancements (armor providing immunity to a specific sort of damage, swords doing necromantic or magical damage in addition to slashey, etc)? How far can such enhancements diverge from their central purpose of protecting the wearer (armor) or cutting up the other guy (arms)? Can they, and this is a big one, can they be made to facilitate channelling necromancy or other magical energy through them? Maybe allow Bri to combine her necromancy with her new blade studies by channelling her necro abilities through the blade?

And what about the noble Sir Fetch? You mentioned that any weapons we could make for him would probably not be as good as his own that he has built-in, but what about that built-in weaponry? Is there anything he could be kitted out with that could enhance his existing weaponry, as opposed to replacing it and having to be better than it to be worthwhile?
>>
>>44445366
> I miss her.

That is one sick twist of fate.
>>
>>44445488
Bri's (somewhat ignorant and insulting) objections aside, smiths were the original sorcerers. They work ambient magic into objects using a combination of skill, will, and ritual. To work, a smith needs materials suited to the project, time, flame (always, always flame) and, generally, a source of ambient magic. Glen's smiths have always been able to turn a profit because the Dungeon exudes enough sorcery that they don't have to pay a mage to work with them; others have to involve a third party, who usually insists on some share of the proceeds.

Demonic arms and armor are known for their durability, for being able to fight and slay supernatural beings, for their use in defending against hostile magics, and their powers of flame. Demonic armor is commonly self-repairing, though it does sometimes need to be fed new materials. Demonic weapons depend on the smith, the materials, and sometimes even the user.

Necromantic weaponry or armor is possible and would require Brianna to be involved in the process, to provide, shape, and control the death channeled into it. Necromancers are often found with weaponry much like Fetch's, which is sheathed in death and used to put things down that are otherwise hard to kill.

Most of Fetch's punch comes from that same necromantic sheathing, which is what's let him fight and wound his demonic enemies. Lacking in thumbs or other meaningful ways to manipulate objects, any weaponry would have to fit over his beak or talons...and those are already deadly.
>>
>>44445655
Thanks
>>
Man, liches must log not having to spend hours on end clothing and food shopping
>>
>>44445366
>She taught me a lot, even if I didn't know it then
"She" means grandma, right?
>>
>>44444944
>>44445056
Nice, though I prefer;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfp2O9ADwGk

>>44445366
>She taught me a lot, even if I didn't know it then.
>>
>>44447913
"She" is Aunt Carol.
>>
>>44445366
I read this as "Aunt Carol taught me a lot." Because she did, even if what she taught was how that road ends.

And if it's not clear, this is also my vote.
>>
>>44448288
She helped define Brianna's moral compass. It's like Bri said about her when she explained where she got the hat; Aunt Carol did some bad things, but that doesn't mean she didn't love her any less.
>>
And now said hat has a kickass anti-mindcontrol decoration.
>>
>>44449069
Not gonna lie, finding an anti-mindcontrol decoration is a bit like finding a big cache of ammo in an FPS. Yeah, it's better than not getting it, but I'm not sure I like the implications.
>>
>>44448283
>>44448288
This is correct.

>>44449129
Doesn't it just?

Two and a half hours to vote call. It's a horror show in here.
>>
>>44448245
Youtube stuck a christmas-themed credit card commercial in front of this and I can't decide if that's stunningly appropriate or just the opposite.
>>
Thirty minutes and change to vote call.
>>
>>44445366
>She taught me a lot, even if I didn't know it then.
>>
File: 1408456475762.jpg (99 KB, 550x1122) Image search: [Google]
1408456475762.jpg
99 KB, 550x1122
>>44451191
Voooooooox, the change is another thirty minutes at this point.

C'mon, man, I needs my hit.
>>
>>44452240
Oooo we need a ghost rider.
>>
File: VOX HAS NEVER FAILED US.jpg (43 KB, 586x446) Image search: [Google]
VOX HAS NEVER FAILED US.jpg
43 KB, 586x446
>>44452240
Patience, gentle anon.
>>
Sorry for the delay, the weekend holiday was a bitch with the family constantly interrupting my every attempt to record. But, the prologue thread audio file is finally done and uploaded to mega and vocaroo. And, I went ahead and made a Blogspot to keep all of the different mega links once I've started making more than one set of AudioQuest / storytime recordings. The vocaroo link is
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0AjuMtFdSmT
And you can find the link to Mega at the blog spot, audionon.blogspot.com

I would just post it here, but I'm not sure how allowable mega links are here.
Hopefully I did better with giving each character their own voice this time, but I am still working on it a little bit.
>>
File: 1439615228078.jpg (118 KB, 806x992) Image search: [Google]
1439615228078.jpg
118 KB, 806x992
>>44452391
That is perhaps the best application I have seen of that picture.
>>
>>44452240
>>44452391
>>44452640
My apologies, good anons. A friend from out of town showed up unexpectedly to take me from work and rather generously provide dinner, caffeine, and more caffeine. I haven't seen the guy in awhile so we spent some time to talk, catch up, vent somewhat. Just got back home.

Votes called, tallying, will be writing shortly after I handle some home stuff.

Yes, he's cute, but he's also married. And straight.

>>44452599
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
>>
>>44453313
You have no idea how happy it makes me to see that you enjoy this.
>>
>>44453313
Psh, when has anything like "marriage" or "sexuality" stopped anyone?
is he hot?
>>
File: top_hat_by_tevarro-d561fog.jpg (297 KB, 730x1094) Image search: [Google]
top_hat_by_tevarro-d561fog.jpg
297 KB, 730x1094
>>44445366
"It's alright," you tell Amy. "She did right by me. She taught me a lot, even if I didn't really know it at the time."

Amy releases the hug - she's turning a bit blue trying to smoke this cigar - and looks at you in wide-eyed symapthy and concern. "...Like what? You talk about her like she deserved what she got." Amy squeaks when she realizes what she's said and cringes.

You shrug and suck the cigar down deeper. "She did. But I still loved her. And...well, she did teach me a lot. She taught me that power is as power does. She taught me that you have to have ambition, not just duty. When she left the family, she taught me what it really means to be a la Croix." You blow smoke from your nose in a thin trickle. "She taught me that revenge is a choice, not a right. And I watched what happens when people make that choice and follow it for its own sake. More than anything, she taught me that grieving for someone means they were worth knowing."

"You looked up to her," Nathan murmurs.

"I never had a mother. Aunt Carol mourned a person I never really knew. She taught me everything I know about my mother, and my father. Grandmother...Grandmother couldn't." The three of you look down at the reds of the cigars, near your lips now, and meet each other's eyes. With a shrug, the three of you pop them into your mouths and bite down, chewing the burning leaves and paper, and swallowing with difficulty.

/Owwwww/.

"Ready?" you ask, around the burn on your tongue. Your companions nod, and you set back off. Not having to breathe is a great aid, and after you finish ascending the stairs you break into an easy jog, with Fetch and his chickens surrounding the group. Amy chirps out to him, and he chirps back, and the two are soon having an easy, friendly conversation.

"Why do I get the feeling that he's asking if I did my familial duty last night?" you complain to Nathan.

"Just let it happen, Bri. Just. Just let it happen."
>>
>>44454092
It could be so much worse Bri. Fetch could be pointing out improvement.
>>
File: ghost river.jpg (102 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ghost river.jpg
102 KB, 640x480
>>44454092
River waits for you by the river in Split. The /Swan Song/ is, as you understand it, essentially a large, flexible wooden brick; its job is to survive the falls between the Lichyard and the Mine without breaking to pieces or killing the three of you. Aside from the restraints that will lash you into your seats, the Swan Song comes with oars (firmly slid into rings to keep them in place) and grappling hooks with chains, for high-speed docking.

It's gonna be a rough ride.

On River's advice you put everything loose into a secure locker built into the deck and bolt it tight. She does the safety check on everyone's restraints; Fetch cuddles into Amy's arms, and you and Nathan get one of the more skeletal chickens apiece. The undead birds are surprisingly docile.

"How're you feeling?" River asks.

"Hung over, my mouth hurts, had ups and downs for the day so far," you say with a shrug. "But it's been a nice week. Might as well go ruin it with some killing."

"That's the spirit," the elf says with a wry smile. Her ears twitch, and then she gives you a tight hug. "Come on back, okay?"

"Check in on Cherry," you tell her. "Make sure she gets to know you."

"I will," River promises. She unmoors the boat and then kicks it into the current. "Don't throw up!"

"No promises!" you shout back as you're carried away by the rapid water.
>>
File: Lakehallow Docks.jpg (192 KB, 832x468) Image search: [Google]
Lakehallow Docks.jpg
192 KB, 832x468
>>44454333
"So," Nathan asks, after a long minute of tense silence. "What did that author call this route?"

You flash him a guilty grin. "The Suicide Run."

"/Bri/!"

"We'll survive it! Kells took it and all he lost was a hand!"

"OH THAT'S ALL?" the Hero exclaims, while Amy giggles.

Then the first waterfall hits, and the panicked screaming starts.

Kells had taken the Suicide Run in a barrel. He did not suggest this as a solution to you, but he was a man who knew ships, and the /Swan Song/ was built for one rive - this one. A hand on the rudder keeps you away from the worst rocks, and the hull holds up admirably against the rapids and the gut-wrenching drops into nothingness. That first terrifying drop caught everyone by surprise, but soon enough Amy's laughing, and the feeling is infectious. Fuck it, if you're gonna die here, you should die having a /blast/.

The river slows, eventually, but you don't. The ship's got too much momentum from before, and it slices through the water with ill intentions. You and Nathan take up the chains and throw the hooks the moment you spot a dock. Hauling the ship back to it against the current is a bit of a bitch, but once you have it in place, Amy drops the anchor, and you're able to moor it.

You've made it to the Mine, and the Company Store.

> Seek out the Dockmaster. Why haven't they greeted you?
> Fuck it, slip into town. Or, well, "town".
>>
>>
>>44454527
>>
>>44454527
I'm guessing we already have Death SIght on, so...
>> Seek out the Dockmaster. Why haven't they greeted you?
>>
>>44454527
>Seek out the Dockmaster. Why haven't they greeted you?
The least they can do is say hi
>>
>>44454527
>> Seek out the Dockmaster. Why haven't they greeted you?
>>
>>44454614
Well, no. But you don't necessarily need it. You'll see in a moment.

Votes called. Writing.
>>
File: groundSkel.jpg (102 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
groundSkel.jpg
102 KB, 500x500
>>44454527
"Wow," Nathan murmurs. "It's like the Basement and the Lichyard had a kid that decided it didn't need to do anything with its life."

"Yeah, pretty much," Amy agrees. She frees herself from her restraints and helps the two of you out before getting your things from the locker. The cavern that the Company Store is in has a deep, narrow lake in the center, around which the town hunches like someone is going to steal the stone out from under it. The cavern has been worked roughly, by pick and shovel, and is lit by yellow witchflame that gives everything a sunset cast. A few people spare you glances and quickly move about their business in a defensive hunch.

You mull the taste of the place over your tongue. "Death. Fresh death, in this town."

"There's always death in the Store," Amy says solemnly, putting your hat on your head. "Happens whenever someone can't pay up."

"Where in the bloody fuck is the dockmaster?" you murmur. "There's always some vulture in towns like this that makes you...Amy, why are there people wearing little badges on their sleeves?"

Amy frowns. "That's new."

The four of you (plus chickens) pick your way towards the dockhouse, cautiously. You raise your fist to knock and -

"Overseer! Vagrants! Look!" The man who points at you is human, and bedecked in talismans over his armor. Most of his six compatriots are likewise attired in chain and talismans, with some tube-like thing in a wooden frame like a crossbow stock resting across their -

Your eyes narrow in realization. Those are weapons. They've killed, pretty often for their relative age. You can smell the forge-fire on them, almost burning the phantom blood.

"Nonsense," another voice calls out, from across what passes for a street. A tall, thin man - you're betting 'elf', though the broad-brimmed hat makes it hard to tell. "These are my employees, come from the Lichyard to report on the tobacco market there."

"Bullshit," the armored man sneers.
>>
>>44455308
"Are you meaning to tell me you intend on interfering with my business?" the thin man challenges. He folds his arms over his chest and quirks a thin eyebrow.

"You're full of it, Lark," a woman in the group says; unlike the others she has no talismans, as well as a smaller, handheld version of those tube weapons in a holster at her hip.

You flick your gaze at Amy, then to Lark.

> Looks like some elf straightened out Split, bossman. She's lookin' to replace a drinking habit, if you catch my drift?
> I'm not with this guy.
> Resort to violence.
>>
>>44455382
> Looks like some elf straightened out Split, bossman. She's lookin' to replace a drinking habit, if you catch my drift?
Let's try to avoid an immediate conflict with the folks who seem to be carrying firearms.
>>
>>44455382
>Looks like some elf straightened out Split, bossman. She's lookin' to replace a drinking habit, if you catch my drift?

No looking gift horses in respective mouths, etc.
>>
>>44455382
>Looks like some elf straightened out Split, bossman. She's lookin' to replace a drinking habit, if you catch my drift?
> prepare for violence.

oh hey, guns! they're making guns down in new hell.
>>
>>
>>44455308

>tube thing in a wooden frame

So hand cannon, arquebuss, blunderbuss, matchlock, wheellock, flintlock (for these last three, musket or rifle)?

>>44455382

>>
>>44455623
Ha ha, you wish.

Witchlock. Did you think you were gonna get away from smiths-are-mages just because there's guns?

Votes called. Writing.
>>
>>44455678
>Witchlock
Why use gunpowder when you can just infuse explosions into the tube?
>>
>>44455678
Oh shit. It discharges hellfire. ZIGZAG FUCKING ZIGZAG!
>>
>>44455678

Oooooooh, a new fantastical firing mechanism. Does it need black powder or does magic cover that?

Is it closer to the matchlock, flintlock, or wheellock in terms of mechanism?
>>
File: 1365449336896.png (331 KB, 625x370) Image search: [Google]
1365449336896.png
331 KB, 625x370
>>44455382
"If I can make my goddamn report," you say with weariness that you don't have to fake at all, "it looks like Split got straightened out with the help of some elf, boss. She's swearin' off the bottle, but I bet people'll buy what she's buyin', if you get my drift?"

The woman gives you a cold glare...right up until you take out your case, pull a cigar from it, and clamp it between your teeth. The armed group watches in mild horror as you light it (they wince), suck deeply (you can see their souls cringing away in abject disgust), and blow the smoke through your nostrils.

"...Nevermind Lark," the woman says with a full-body shudder. "They're with you. Remind 'em to wear their fucking badges."

"Can do, Overseer Triss," Lark says agreeably. The - soldiers? Slaves? Yes? - move away, visibly disgusted, while you smoke the cigar. Lark saunters over and observes you, hands in his pockets.

"You do know those are foul, right?" he asks.

"Absolutely fucking disgusting," you agree.

"Like smoking a torture session."

"They taste the way dead parents feel."

"You can feel the gods love you a little less with every puff?"

"At this point even Hell doesn't want to associate with my clear lack of standards."

"Then I've done my work well," Lark says proudly, offering a hand out to shake. You take it in a firm grip. "Lark Greenthumb. I make what you're smoking."

> Huh. What're the odds?
> Thanks for getting me out of that.
> BUT WHY?
>>
>>44455823
I'd imagine you could use magic for a propellant and have the actual item not be magical. You still need to load it but thats a lot less hectic when you can just shove a bullet down it.

> BUT WHY?

Seriously, what kind of cruel soulless monster would unleash this kind of abomination into the world?
>>
>>44455876
Linking >>44455912 Here.
>>
>>44455876

> BUT WHY?
>>
>>44455876
> Huh. What're the odds?
>>
File: Bolt-Action Rifle.jpg (58 KB, 1021x260) Image search: [Google]
Bolt-Action Rifle.jpg
58 KB, 1021x260
>>44455812
>>44455815
>>44455823
First: "tube in a wooden frame" can mean a lot of things to the untrained eye. I'm not gonna say I'm a gun expert ('cause I'm not; I'm not even a hobbyist) but pic related could be described that way.

These witchlocks are early generation; they're being designed by [REDACTED] via [SCRUBBED] and the method is far from perfect, so compromises and bad ideas are still in there; the technology is far from mature.

That in mind, the basic principle is simple enough. The bullet has a rune on the back containing half a spell; the hammer contains the other half. When the hammer comes down, the spell is completed, propelling the shot. The guns need to be cleaned to keep the spelltaint from building up; jamming isn't an issue, but exploding definitely is.
>>
>>44455876
>Thanks for getting me out of that.
Seriously though, why?
>>
>>44455876
> BUT WHY?
>>
>>44455876

...I am reminded of the Deadpool trailer.

>You look like Freddy Kreuger face-fucked a topographical map of Utah.
>Like a testicle with teeth.
>Like an avocado had sex with an older avocado.
>>
>>44455876
>Huh. What're the odds?
>>
Called, writing.
>>
>>44455876
>BUT WHY?

When it comes to guns, most of the stocks and wooden furniture dates back to crossbows, which we spent a lot of time making comfortable. If you have a simple firing method - hammer with spell - then you just need a very simple apparatus.
>>
>>44455989
Are these single-shot weapons or do they have some kind of internal magazine? How long does it take to reload them?
>>
>>44456153
Not too godawful long; mostly a matter of digging the bullets out and getting them into the gun. The rifles are currently experimenting with a form of breechloading but [REDACTED] is certain there's gotta be a better way. Unfortunately attempts to make the revolver mechanism used for the pistols work for the rifles went a lot like they did in real life.

> "[REDACTED], it's still burning their faces right in the spots they need to keep shooting accurately."
> "...I hate this job. So very much."
>>
File: 37078.jpg (31 KB, 550x343) Image search: [Google]
37078.jpg
31 KB, 550x343
>>44455876
There is a long moment of silence in which the cigar burns uselessly.

"/WHY/?" you ask, as loudly as you dare, staring Lark directly in the eyes.

"Walk with me," he offers, and without much else better to do, you follow. "A lot of people claim to be the 'best' at something. They make the best sauce, or the best pie; they are the creators of the best swords or the best tools. Often they are forced to humble their words; they're the best in their region, or the best in their town."

"Sure," you agree. People give glances to Lark, then to you, and decide you're not their business.

"Well, I don't want to compete to be the best," Lark says loftily. He opens the side door to a barn-like structure and ushers you inside; within, witchflames provide light for the oddest tobacco plants you've ever seen. "Instead, for the last hundred and fifty years, I have dedicated my life to creating the worst smoke anyone has ever experienced. And - this is the cunning part - /people buy it/. They don't believe me at first, you see. Then they get it for their friends or loved ones, to share the suffering. It becomes an in joke, or they buy it because it's cheap, or because they believe, as I do, that when you have a truly awful smoke, you remember all the better ones you've had, and can relive their pleasure through your pain."

"That's insane," you tell him. "I love it."

> So what's going on down here?
> So why'd you save us?
> Ah...badges?
>>
>>44456393
> So why'd you save us?
>>
>>44456393
>> So why'd you save us?
>>
>>44456393
>So what's going on down here?
>>
Alright folks, that's gonna be the final update of the night. I'm gonna archive the thread and leave the vote open until morning.

I am...aware...that there's a strong subset of folks on /tg/ that are passionate about guns and that are informed about them. I am not informed about firearms of various kinds and am working essentially on facts I've picked up over the years, images I'm trying to convey, and a heavy dose of obfuscating bullshit. This is not to say I'm unwilling to learn; I just don't want to set folks up for expecting technical fidelity that's not going to be delivered.

That in mind, there's a strong case of the people /making/ the weapons not having a firm idea of what in the unholy fuck it is they're doing.

As always, discussion, comments, critique, questions, and criticisms are both welcome and appreciated!

Thank you all for reading and participating. Archiving now.
>>
>>44455989
>The bullet has a rune on the back containing half a spell; the hammer contains the other half. When the hammer comes down, the spell is completed, propelling the shot.
This is cool as balls and I love things like this and I love things like you.
>>
>>44456616
I love you too anon.

Thread archived, sleep now. See everyone in six hours.
>>
>>44456393
> So why'd you save us?
>>44456226
so [REDACTED] made breachloading rifles and revolvers firing rocket balls with magic in place of black powder.
thats impressive, and [REDACTED] must be a genius, because a simpler man (woman?) would have just used gravity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJXc4YTB6uo
>>
>>44456654
[REDACTED] is cheating out of [REDACTED]'s ass, but you'll see later, when you get to New Hell.
>>
>>44456887
What? I think you might have the wrong thread.
>>
>>44456887
I rarely catch this copypasta before it's deleted, and now I'm really unnerved at this guy's face.
>>
>>44456654
Because I am bad at going to sleep, I watched this video, and I have to say, that's some interesting - and inventive - stuff. While I'll refer you again to my warning here - >>44456575 - I wouldn't mind learning more about this kinda thing, especially in places where you feel it's relevant to the concept presented. Just, y'know, don't bomb the thread with it, aye?

That in mind, again, [REDACTED] is cheating, and the technology is far from mature. Hilariously far from mature. More about the circumstances of the creation of these weapons and their development will be revealed in New Hell.
>>
>>44456575

I have to agree with >>44456616, the witchlock mechanism is cool as balls.

>That in mind, there's a strong case of the people /making/ the weapons not having a firm idea of what in the unholy fuck it is they're doing.

This is rather terrifingly accurate in regards to how most weapons throughout history were originally created.

Just imagine how many tries it would have taken to get the first cannon right.

>Okay, so the barrel didn't explode that time, but I'm pretty sure the ball is supposed to go out the FRONT...
>>
>> So why'd you save us?
>>
>>44456963
the history of fire arms is very interesting. You know the first breech loading guns were developed as early as the 16th century? Henry VIII had one for duck hunting
>>
>>44456616
>>44456616
I wonder when that particular idea first started. I saw it in an LN a while back.
>>
>>44458569
IIRC that's how Kimblee was exploding people way back in FMA - two alchemy circles on palms, overlapping them engages the effect.
>>
I somehow get the feeling that this may end up relevant to the Roost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqDu5LBT8_Y
>>
Yèeweèĕəřýđ§æ
>>
>>44459754
Welp.

'm awake. Votes called, coffee, writing.
>>
>>44460762
Looks like I woke up just in time. How did you like the rerecording of the prologue thread, Vox?
>>
>>44460946
'twas very nice! Not sure on Brooks' accent there but it was clear, comprehensible, nice pace. Was good to see you put emotion into it; a lot of attempts at audio recordings are more dead than cultural progress in Kansas (NOT THAT I AM BITTER). Lora in particular was very nice, good tone on her.

I look forward to the others.
>>
>>44460973
I admit, I couldn't think of an accent that was both slurred and somewhat musical, so the best I could hope for was to throw Russian in a blender with a little bit of Georgia drawl, make it a little bit smokey, and hope for the best.
>>
File: Amy.jpg (70 KB, 450x337) Image search: [Google]
Amy.jpg
70 KB, 450x337
>>44456393
You tap out the cigar and, for reasons you now understand more clearly, put it back between your teeth. "So...not to sound ungrateful, but why stick your neck out for us? Those things they're carrying around, those're weapons, and they've all killed a lot lately. You don't seem like the kinda guy who's unaware of that."

Lark's jovial air drains away; he sets his hat down on the soil around one of his plants, and the three of you suck in a breath. He's an elf, but his ears have been clipped - from the looks of some of the scars, repeatedly shortened, probably with a knife. The stumps flatten against the side of his head.

"Indifference is no longer acceptable, in the Mine," Lark murmurs. "I had an out to give you. Anything less is as good as holding the knife myself."

"Sir, please," Amy says in a small voice. "I'm looking for a human and a harpy, married. He's a sorcerer - George. Her name is -" Amy makes a small flurry of chirps and screeches, "but she usually goes by Diving Shadow."

"...Well," Lark says slowly. "There's good news and there's bad news. They're alive - that's good news. Heard of them at the saloon just up the shore, about a year back. George helps process the ore, yeah? Baron's men threw him into their holding cells. Diving Shadow volunteered as an overseer to keep him from being shot."

"/What/?" Amy sounds...heartbroken. "No. No, you're lying. Mom would never..."

> It's okay Ames. She's safe right now. Technically.
> Focus Ames. I need you here or this is gonna be harder to solve.
> Tell me more about these cells, Lark.
>>
>>44461118
Also throw in a hug.
>>
>>44461118
Plus hug.

Btw, anyone know where to find/how to apply voice filters? I wanna be ready for Fetch's appearance
>>
>>44461118
>Mom would never..."
Duh, of course she would, if it keeps him from getting shot.

>> It's okay Ames. She's safe right now. Technically.
>>
Called, writing.
>>
>>44461361
Isn't Ames' mom also sort of...chaotic neutral? Like, better than most people from the roost, but still grew up cutthroat and all? I'm really not surprised, but it does mean we need to be careful about any magic bullshit that specifically zaps overseers.
>>
File: Amy Objects.png (425 KB, 405x600) Image search: [Google]
Amy Objects.png
425 KB, 405x600
>>44461118
You turn and put a hand on the bird girl's shoulder.

"Ames, I need you with us here," you murmur. "This is going to be a lot harder to solve without you. Focus."

"If it was your family -"

"I'd keep my head and handle things properly," you interrupt. "Because if we let them get in our heads with this, we're more likely to get both of them killed than save either of them. Aren't we?"

You give her a brief hug; you can't really afford to hold her close and tell her it'll be alright. Not right now.

"You want to tell me what's going on?" Lark inquires. He puts his hat back over his ears and puts his hands in his pockets.

"You know," Amy says with a hostile edge. "See the sights, meet interesting people, kill the Baron slowly, the usual."

"/Amy/," Nathan chides, but the bird's glare silences him.

Lark's eyes go to you.

> Well, you heard the woman
> We came to right the wrongs down here
> Not sure it's any of your business, Lark
> We're here on the behalf of one of your customers, actually
>>
>>44461439
Pretty much precisely this. Amy had to /figure out/ why other humanoids were unnerved about eating things that can talk, if that gives you an idea. Diving Shadow kept a strict "no killing people just to eat them" policy but as you might imagine a combination of harpy logic and growing up in the Roost has left Ames with certain...ideas...that exposure to other cultures had to challenge for her.

Vote open until I get home from work.
>>
>>44461464

Can't wait to see his face when he realizes WHICH customer...
>>
>>44461464
> We're here on behalf of one of your customers.
>>
>>44461464
> We're here on the behalf of one of your customers, actually.
>>
>>44461464
>>
bumping for thread.
>>
>>44461464
>>
>>44461464
>>
>>44461464
>We're here on the behalf of one of your customers, actually
>>
>>44461439
Definitely. Once the poor bird gets past the shock and fear for her parents, she'll understand, just like Bri and Nate understood.

This might actually be an edge for us, since I doubt Amy's mom actually /wants/ to work for the Baron. Guess what'll happen when she learns what the Vintner did to her little girl? Sweet, sweet vengeance is the dish of the hour.

I wonder if the Baron's life-protecting enchantments work if the attacker is one of his lieutenants?

>>44461464
>We're here on behalf of one of your customers, actually.
This is just too good to pass up, plus its totally in character with Bri being a cheeky git.
>>
>>44461507
*sniff sniff*
"Ames?"
"Mmmmmm..."
"Silly bird, why are you looking at me like a side of roast beef?"
"Hungrryyyyy..."

Ye Gods, I'm terrible. Does that mean she's a biter in bed?
>>
>>44463224
[Spoiler]Yes. Nate's a fan.[/spoiler]

Two hours to vote call.
>>
>>44463441
Well that fucking worked. That's what I get for phone posting.
>>
>>44463494
Look at it this way: Every time you mess up the spoiler tags, a newbie learns how to use them.
>>
>>44463494
LEWD
>>
File: 1438450147219.jpg (65 KB, 500x652) Image search: [Google]
1438450147219.jpg
65 KB, 500x652
>>44463441
>>
>>44463224
>>44463441

>In the throes of passion Amy accidentally sinks her teeth into Nate's shoulder
>"Did you just?"
>*Sobbing* "Yesh."
>"... Do it again."
>Bri can dig it.
>>
>>44463494
No, that's what you get for leaving auto-capitalize on.
t. other phone poster
>>
File: 1408384290653.png (63 KB, 322x462) Image search: [Google]
1408384290653.png
63 KB, 322x462
>>44463441
>>
File: 1426952287110.png (54 KB, 315x320) Image search: [Google]
1426952287110.png
54 KB, 315x320
>>44463441
>>
File: This is lewd.png (53 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
This is lewd.png
53 KB, 625x626
>>44463441
>>
Off work, on my way home.
>>
>>44463551
>>44463588
>>44463622
>>44463687
>>44463746
>>44463772
If you'll recall the aftermath of his confession to Brooks, she was kinda bitey as well. Ames is, shall we say, very physically expressive - but you knew this already.

Votes called, dishes, writing.
>>
>>44465275

The dishes have killed the Vox.
>>
>>44465275
damn dishes.
>>
File: 1450838713715.jpg (66 KB, 544x953) Image search: [Google]
1450838713715.jpg
66 KB, 544x953
>>44461464
"To be more clear," you tell him, "we're here on behalf of one of your customers, with a vested interest in seeing the Baron's operations, ah, cease and desist."

"Just about everyone has that vested interest. Who hired you?" Lark asks.

"We're working gratis, so...technically no one /hired/ us. But we're working for the owner of the Dungeon."

"No one owns the Dungeon," Lark scoffs.

"How about the person who made it?" you challenge.

The shifting mix of disbelief, outrage, hope, and confusion on Lark's face is enough to lure Amy out of her anger long enough for a giggle.

"You're serious," Lark finally says. "Either you're serious or you're a soulless, will-less construct with poker training."

"Don't discount that second one," Nate says helpfully. "She played poker to the death just recently."

You whirl, whap the Hero with your hat, and turn to face Lark again. "We need your help."
>>
>>44463185
>I wonder if the Baron's life-protecting enchantments work if the attacker is one of his lieutenants?
why wouldn't they? the lieutenants are in the best position to kill him, after all.
>>
>>44466243
Comcast strikes again, Voc?
>>
File: Best Minion Ever.jpg (54 KB, 920x1024) Image search: [Google]
Best Minion Ever.jpg
54 KB, 920x1024
>>44466243
"This needs chairs," Lark decides. "You must be stressed after your ride." He leads the four of you into a room adjoining the barn, which appears to be his kitchen and dining area, such as it is. It's surprisingly spacious but, then, he probably does business here. Everyone sits; Amy places Fetch on the table, where he settles in to listen.

"The Company Store takes its name from back when there was only one vested interest down here, but nothing's ever sure in the Dungeon," Lark explains. "Now it's neutral ground, and the stores rule its borders. You can do whatever you like out in the tunnels and shafts, but here you can't touch someone employed by a competitor. Store owners come and go with the tides of fate, but collectively they weild quite a bit of power. The Baron's men abide by the rules here."

"Why not just storm the place?" Amy asks.

"The witchflames. The laws of the Store are easily enforced; those lanterns you see everywhere burn the shit out of anyone who disturbs them."

You all suck in a breath with a sympathetic wince.

"The Baron's men are armed, angry, and his Overseers are seemingly invulnerable. No one's been willing to challenge him, despite his persistent inroads into their business. Awhile back he announced that anyone not employed by another interest would be considered fair game for his recruiters."

"And you all just let it happen?" you murmur.

"Yes," Lark says softly. "We all just let it happen. And now we're reaping the harvest we planted."
>>
>>44466687
So that's why people wear badges. That woman was a recruiter. And she's probably protected by magic links to slaves.
>>
File: 1441163774472.jpg (117 KB, 563x1000) Image search: [Google]
1441163774472.jpg
117 KB, 563x1000
>>44466687
"Got a plan?" you ask.

"Sure, drawn from years of experience as a rebel and revolutionary."

"Truly?" Fetch says, his spectral voice all hope.

"No," Lark says flatly.

Everyone around the table sighs.

> "Might as well start with Diving Shadow. She'll know about his operation."
> "Tell me more about these competitors."
> "Think the Miners will be of any help?"
>>
>>44466978
>> "Think the Miners will be of any help?"
>>
>>44466978
>"Might as well start with Diving Shadow. She'll know about his operation."
> Ames, would your mom be amenable to you showing up and asking for help? I don't know your relationship with her that well - can we trust her?
>>
>>44466978
>"Tell me more about these competitors."
>>
>>44466978

Might be good to get some info before we decide on a plan.
>>
>>44466978
>>
>>
>>44466978
>Might as well start with Diving Shadow. She'll know about his operation."
>>
>>44466978
> "Might as well start with Diving Shadow. She'll know about his operation."
It's a gamble, but there's a lot of potential payoff. And it might make Ames happy.
>>
File: 1448499429355.gif (208 KB, 312x322) Image search: [Google]
1448499429355.gif
208 KB, 312x322
>>44465275
she likes eating people? No wonder Bri's smitten.
>>
Called, writing in a bit. Life stuff. As usual.
>>
>>
>>44467816
>Unlife stuff
Fixed that for you, lich.
>>
>>44467730
To speak more plainly, harpies are natural scavengers; they have no taboo against eating just about anything, as long as it's not toxic enough to kill them. Combined with a tendency towards violence and being native to the same rough environments that tend to produce goblins and orcs, they have a bit of a reputation as, well, murderers. Indeed, a group of harpies is known as a murder.

Amy's mother's strict rule about not killing people just to eat them is somewhat unusual but, then, the Dungeon is a potentially food-rich environment. Still, Amy grew up with at least one parent who considered dead people to be just another kind of meat, and is natively able to digest raw, uncooked meat without dying. It wasn't until she was older that she started talking to her father about why he never shared (and, for that matter, why he always cooked his meat) and eventually developed an interest in cooking and travel herself. Interactions with the cultures higher up in the Dungeon eventually lead her to realize that a lot of sapients consider cannibalism to be wrong, even sacriligeous, and made the choice to adopt their thoughts on the matter.

Her biting habits are completely unrelated to this, and are rooted mostly in the bit where she's passionate, eager, and physically expressive. As you might have noticed given her attitude during and after /every fight/, Amy kinda likes rough stuff - she loves the thrill, the adrenaline, and the sting of a good hit. And at the end of the day, fighting and sex are only a little different from each other.

I do hope that clarifies things for anyone who was actually confused.

Jokes were fucking hilarious though.
>>
File: 1451418996780.jpg (71 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1451418996780.jpg
71 KB, 960x720
>>44467963
>and the sting of a good hit
Goddamn you, Vox, your words do strange things to my nethers
now I can't stop the thought of Bri giving Ames a good paddling
don't stop
>>
>>44468028

>that pic

It took me longer than it should have to realize why that would be a bad idea.
>>
File: toaster.jpg (93 KB, 500x1745) Image search: [Google]
toaster.jpg
93 KB, 500x1745
>>44468917
Demons are into kinky shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (786 KB, 1309x2489) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
786 KB, 1309x2489
>>44469014
>>
File: Mighty Necromancy.gif (746 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
Mighty Necromancy.gif
746 KB, 500x269
My apologies for the delays, good anons. At first it was life stuff, and then to be honest I kinda got sucked into a depressive funk. Son called to talk to me, which was nice.

And just as I hit the upswing, my artist wanted to talk.

And now we begin the new webcomic: http://wildwestscifi.net/gallows-humor/13683-gallows-humor-prologue

I need to go eat dinner. I will write the update afterward.
>>
>>44469462
When will you take a real break?
>>
>>44469562
I've actually been intending on talking to anon about that here pretty soon. I'll be hitting my goal of running through to January here very soon, and that means we've got some things to talk about, esp. since I do not have a Twitter. Was going to seek the advice and wisdom of my audience, but we've got some time, first.
>>
>>44469562

>Vox
>Taking a break

Pick one.
>>
>>44469462
So you're working on a webcomic, and this, and maybe a day job? Do you have a day job?
>>
>>44469722
More like a night job, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>44469618
>seek the advice and wisdom of my audience
Vox, you put too much faith in us.
So we'll just have to try to live up to your expectations!
>>
>>44469722

Caffeine-based lich gigolos apparently have a lot of free time on their hands.
>>
>>44469722
This, webcomic, day job, getting the Kickstarter arranged for my novel, I owe like eight professional writing projects to the RPG company I work for, got a couple of fanfic projects going long-term, editing a friend's book, writing an unrelated novel (still early stages), quality assurance for said RPG company, managing the freelancers, and PR work.

I also have hobbies.

When I started DLQ I was taking a break from the RPG work entirely. I feel like I could do both at the same time, but that'd definitely slow my writing time since I can only really type in one window at any given moment. Or I could run DLQ less frequently. Still not sure what I want to try.

Either way I'm prolly taking a break around the tooth extractions because jesus fuck, no.
>>
>>44469819
>not writing through the pain
>not using your painkillers for creative purposes
>>
>>44469819
You are one busy cunt.
Maybe, instead of running DLQ, like, every fucking day, seetle for, like, once every two weeks? For the quality of your writing and your enthusiam for your quest's community, that seems fair.
Then again, I'm, like, two steps away from being kicked out of my house/college/job every other hour, so the hell do I know about stable time management?
>>
>>44469819
>getting the Kickstarter arranged for my novel

You better let us know when you start that up, I'd fund the shit out of it.
>>
>>44470393
>>44469819
And my axe, etc etc. Hell, if nothing else, let us know the general time it'll be happening. I wouldn't mind setting aside a hundred bucks for that.
And, of course, if you ever think about making it an audiobook, let me know lol
>>
File: 0978896789.jpg (63 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
0978896789.jpg
63 KB, 540x405
>>44466978
"Alright, since no one else seems to have a plan, I'm gonna call the shot," you decide at last. "Tell me more about these competitors. Any of them willing to fight to oust the Baron?"

"Willing? Sure. Able? Maybe not so much. Desperate, though...I can think of at least one." Lark lights a cigarette and taps the table. "You ever met a sidhe?"

"Excuse me?" Amy asks.

"Fey," Nathan says softly. "Full proper name is daoine sidhe - the high fey. They look like elves at first glance, until you catch the signs of their oaths of service. You can also tell if you touch them with iron, or when they break every bone in your arm like they're closing an envelope."

"Yep, that's them," Lark agrees pleasantly. "One of 'em, Miss Silence, runs a mining company down here. No idea why, but she's been here /forever/. No one remembers a time when there wasn't a Miss Silence. And until recently, she and her miners provided coal for New Hell's forges, among other things. They've been shunted out of their tunnels and into the Dregs. They ain't happy." He takes a look at your confused expression and continues. "The Dregs are mostly-mined veins left with /some/ material still there, so as to create space where people can settle. Specifically, the areas known as the Dregs are unclaimed areas not yet fully mined, as opposed to specific territories, which generally get named by their owners."

"Makes sense," you say with a nod. "Can you take us to her?"

"Aye. I'll need to scare up some badges for you, though. Presuming you're willing to technically work for me?"

> Suuuure?
> Hell, give us jobs down here during the slow parts.
> No.
>>
>>44471887

> Suuuure?

Prolly can't do any actual WORK but would certainly be willing to advocate and advertise on your behalf yadda yadda yadda.
>>
>>44471887
>Hell, give us jobs down here during the slow parts.

I like this elf. He's a good elf.
>>
>>44471887
> Hell, give us jobs down here during the slow parts.
>>
>>44471887
> Suuuure?

4chan being slow for anyone else?
>>
>>44471887
>>Suuuure?
>>
>>44471887
>> Hell, give us jobs down here during the slow parts.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.